• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2017-18 NBA Thread

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
iw1CIOf.jpg

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
ok...had some time to process this

im not upset as he exercised his right as a free agent, but he is lying about them not offering him a deal or contacting him

sayo

YEET
ok...had some time to process this

im not upset as he exercised his right as a free agent, but he is lying about them not offering him a deal or contacting him

Yeah, I find it hard to believe he wasn't offered a better deal money-wise. More than likely, he threw a fit cause he didn't get the deal he wanted.

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
Yeah, I find it hard to believe he wasn't offered a better deal money-wise. More than likely, he threw a fit cause he didn't get the deal he wanted.
this

ive heard so many things from him wanting an extra year and they didnt want to offer it

to

they didnt want him

at any rate, people close to the situation or rather have some more insight than the average joe arent really tripping b/c they feel that they can still make some moves to bring in some pieces to still at minimum to at least get back to the playoffs.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
That’s my point. The fanbase is what makes the Celtics awful. Not Stevens, who is one of the most likable coaches in the NBA, and their players.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
That’s my point. The fanbase is what makes the Celtics awful. Not Stevens, who is one of the most likable coaches in the NBA, and their players.

Agree. Other than who and what they represent, the actual Celtics players and coach are not loathsome people.

The fans, though......

evil1

Most NBA people two days ago: Boogie Cousins has an attitude problem, doesn't fit well with other star players, and is coming off a major Achilles injury. Many NBA teams even have a "no Cousins" policy for free agency. LOL at any team that signs him.

Same NBA people today: Cousins went to Golden State? That's not fair! They are too stacked!

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
Yeah LA is probably the West 2nd best team. Who’s going to challenge them? A Spurs team without Kawhi? Houston after taking a huge hit losing Ariza and potentially Capela? PG/RUSS?

NML

Yeah LA is probably the West 2nd best team. Who’s going to challenge them? A Spurs team without Kawhi? Houston after taking a huge hit losing Ariza and potentially Capela? PG/RUSS?

What team is Kawhi on right now? Sure if he goes to LA they are #2, but he’s not yet.

Capela ain’t going anywhere and the Rockets are definitely above them

Reactions: bjc

evil1

I think the Lakers are doing a good job of being patient and not blowing their wad too early. If they do not make another significant move this season, they can have space for two max contracts next season and can make a run at Kawhi (who already wants to go to LA), Klay Thompson and/or Jimmy Butler, all without having to give up Ingram, Ball or Kuzma.

By not trying to win it all in 2018-2019 (when they likely weren't going to beat Golden State anyway), they can set themselves up to be much stronger for 2019 and beyond.

NML

Most NBA people two days ago: Boogie Cousins has an attitude problem, doesn't fit well with other star players, and is coming off a major Achilles injury. Many NBA teams even have a "no Cousins" policy for free agency. LOL at any team that signs him.

Same NBA people today: Cousins went to Golden State? That's not fair! They are too stacked!

There’s a difference between “man I would not want to give Boogie the max with his injury history and attitude issues” and “signing for the MLE on the best team for one year”

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Evil’s right. ACTUALLY, Cousins going to the Warriors is very good for the league and not at all incredibly stupid. It’s certainly believable that no one else would offer an All-Star more than $5.3 million. I guess they were worried about signing him to too much money and having evil criticize their dealmaking.

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
What team is Kawhi on right now? Sure if he goes to LA they are #2, but he’s not yet.

Capela ain’t going anywhere and the Rockets are definitely above them
Kawhi's on the same team he largely skipped out on the entire regular season due to health concerns and is actively trying to remove himself from. It's gone so far that his side is leaking info that he'd consider sitting out the next season because he wants out of SA so badly. At this point, you have to consider the Spurs as they were last year without them, which was the 7th seed.

Capela will likely stay unless some team that just has alot of cap room left over offers him a big deal to call the Rockets bluff to match something. You're underestimating the value of Trevor Ariza however. He was the 3rd best player on that team and by far the most important defensively. Houston only has the MLE available at this point and who is on the board they could pick up that would actually improve the squad from last year, especially when CP3's hammy eventually blows?

sayo

YEET
There’s a difference between “man I would not want to give Boogie the max with his injury history and attitude issues” and “signing for the MLE on the best team for one year”
This. He didn't get the deal he wanted so he took his ball and went home.

Portland wanted to do a sign and trade with the Pels but Nurkic and Boogie have the same agent... Lolz

sayo

YEET
Depends on how big of a leap the young Lakers have. The team is definitely flawed from a fit standpoint but with Bron, the ceiling can be pretty high; particularly come playoff time. We also can't assume this is their final form. They're gonna get buyout guys and they could get a panic trade for one of these expiring superstars.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Of course he didn't get the deal he wanted, I can't believe this is a conversation ITT. He might have given up 2-3M this year to got to the warriors, so what. Nobody was willing to pay him aside from the Warriors and Pelicans and there is no reason to choose the Pelicans over the Warriors to rehab. With the Warriors you don't ever have to play if you don't want to, they don't need him. He can take his time. If he stayed with the Pels they do need him, they would want him back ASAP.

Everyone acting like he chose the MLE over a max contract are dumber than I thought

sayo

YEET
Nobody is saying he turned down a max contract. I'd be very surprised if someone didn't offer him 1 or 2 years in the ball park of 10 per. Taking that much of a pay cut is weak af.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I see today is the day you tell jokes. If you can't see why a rehabbing player would pick the Warriors over every other team in the league then we can just stop.

evil1

Evil’s right. ACTUALLY, Cousins going to the Warriors is very good for the league and not at all incredibly stupid. It’s certainly believable that no one else would offer an All-Star more than $5.3 million. I guess they were worried about signing him to too much money and having evil criticize their dealmaking.

According to Zach Lowe, the Pelicans were going to give Cousins a lowball offer (this was even before NO signed Julius Randle). According to Lowe, because there was such a small market for Cousins in view of his injury, the richest deal 1 year deal available to him might have been a full midlevel exception contract of only $8.6 million. The same people who thought Cousin's market value was less than $9 million per year are now the people who are crying that Cousins going to Golden State is breaking the NBA. Um, ok.

sayo

YEET
I don't understand that argument. As if a team is gonna have a gun to his head and force him to play 40 per game (besides the t wolves).

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
lol at not understanding how rehabbing an achilles with the Warriors would be different than the Pelicans when he's close to returning.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
There will be pressure for him to return on every other team. There will be zero pressure with the warriors. If you honestly cant understand that then idk how to convince you

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
According to Zach Lowe, the Pelicans were going to give Cousins a lowball offer (this was even before NO signed Julius Randle). According to Lowe, because there was such a small market for Cousins in view of his injury, the richest deal 1 year deal available to him might have been a full midlevel exception contract of only $8.6 million. The same people who thought Cousin's market value was less than $9 million per year are now the people who are crying that Cousins going to Golden State is breaking the NBA. Um, ok.

Rudy Gay, who has never made an All-Star team, got $8.5 million from a championship contender coming off an Achilles injury. But yeah, I'm sure no one offered Cousins anything more than $8.6m.

What are you talking about anyway? You can find articles from two weeks ago talking about how LA is going to get Cousins and compete with the Warriors. No one thought his value was less than Rondo. And now he's taking less money than Lance Stephenson because he's soft, so yes, he's ruining the league.

NML

I don’t have a strong opinion about this because I doubt he comes back 100%, but it’s total bullshit to play it like he had no other choice. We are two days into free agency. I’ll buy that Demps/NO made it clear he wasn’t getting the max or close to it, maybe that they weren’t going to offer him at all (but then Demps is pretty much firing hisself so).

But to act like no one else was interested is bogus. The way I’ve read it from Boston’s side is they never imagined he’d be interested in the MLE, and by the time they knew, he signed with GSW. I don’t think anyone imagined he would consider that little.

And anyone with bigger money wasn’t going to sign him until more dominos fell.