• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2017-18 NBA Thread

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
It ain't like his game is speed and jumping and shit. He's just a skilled big man. An achilles won't hurt his game at all.

evil1

Rudy Gay, who has never made an All-Star team, got $8.5 million from a championship contender coming off an Achilles injury. But yeah, I'm sure no one offered Cousins anything more than $8.6m.

What are you talking about anyway? You can find articles from two weeks ago talking about how LA is going to get Cousins and compete with the Warriors. No one thought his value was less than Rondo. And now he's taking less money than Lance Stephenson because he's soft, so yes, he's ruining the league.
Can you find anything showing that someone was going to offer Cousins more than $8.6 million for this year (the full MLE)? How much more? Did it require him to lock in a lowball offer for multiple seasons?

Everything I have seen has said that there was no market for Cousins given his perceived attitude and his Achilles injury. As a result, it appears that Cousins took maybe $3 million less this year so he could rehab his injury with a team that could best showcase his talents and maximize what he might be able to get in the future.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Can you find anything showing that someone was going to offer Cousins more than $8.6 million for this year (the full MLE)? How much more? Did it require him to lock in a lowball offer for multiple seasons?

Everything I have seen has said that there was no market for Cousins given his perceived attitude and his Achilles injury. As a result, it appears that Cousins took maybe $3 million less this year so he could rehab his injury with a team that could best showcase his talents and maximize what he might be able to get in the future.

You don't believe that a single of the other 28 teams would've offered him more than $8.6 million? The Lakers wouldn't have said, "Yes, please come here for $15 million a year, take your time rehabbing, and then we can compete for a title with LeBron, you, an older core, and maybe even Kawhi next year?" That's insane. Cousins wouldn't be out of the league in a few months if he hadn't accepted the Warriors' offer. He's the one that called them up. He didn't do that with anybody else. He could've easily done it, but he wanted to join the Warriors and then spun this excuse and you guys are buying it despite the fact that it defies all logic.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
what everyone is missing here is that Damarco was able to take such a low offere because his brother kurt just signed a big nfl contract. Kurt will help him pay the higher cost of living in California. its the "he ain't heavy, he's my brother" thing.

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
Randle vs Boogie after first 3 years of playing experience

DhM-g4pVAAANb8s.jpg:large

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
This is what happens when 1/3 of the league is actively trying to lose. Not a ton of options for Cousins. Also having a max salary is causing all of this.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
That's such bullshit lol. Very few teams (twolves) would be dumb enough to do that. That's a weak ass reason. He's a big boy. We just saw Kawhi sit out an entire year for much less.

There was no pressure on Kawhi? I don't think you understand what I'm talking about but it doesn't matter because Boogie is dumb

Stein said:
League sources say that Cousins rebuffed New Orleans' offer of a two-year contract extension in the $40 million range after the injury but before the season ended. When that offer was declined, sources say, New Orleans took it off the table. The Mavericks and the Lakers were also expected to have high-dollar interest in Cousins this summer, but those teams opted to use their cap space elsewhere. The Pelicans had not completely shut the door on bringing Cousins back, but then the opportunity to sign Julius Randle to a two-year deal at $18 million suddenly arose. The Pelicans moved quickly to come to terms with Randle — with the New Orleans star Anthony Davis reportedly serving as an aggressive recruiter.

evil1

You do realize that the Pelicans made this offer to Cousins back in March or April (i.e, before the season ended) but did NOT re-offer it to Cousins during free agency?

bruin228

NCAA Moderator

You were only off by about $10 million

evil1

You don't believe that a single of the other 28 teams would've offered him more than $8.6 million? The Lakers wouldn't have said, "Yes, please come here for $15 million a year, take your time rehabbing, and then we can compete for a title with LeBron, you, an older core, and maybe even Kawhi next year?" That's insane.

Ur wrong again. Apparently the Lakers didn't even want Cousins at the MLE.
Per Marc Stein of the New York Times, the All-Star center presented the Lakers with a chance to add him at a salary similar to the $5.3 mid-level exception he received from Golden State, but they decided to go in a different direction

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Strategy idea from reddit:

Every single team needs to rest their starting lineup and any good bench player against GSW. Play the bench the whole game, bring up some 2-way contracts for that game, lose it by 100pts. Let them go 82-0.
That way, not only is every GSW game even less competitive than it has been, but they will spend the entire season playing to the level of a bench - then in the playoffs they have to play against the good players and will struggle as the competition will increase dramatically.
If this strategy was used, I could see them dropping 3 or 4 games in the playoffs.

Tailback U

I almost feel bad for most of you guys that are actual b-ball fans but then I see @bruin228 cry like a little bitch every time I pop into this thread and it’s completely worth it.

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
was hoping to bring boogie back but fuck it...he gone

im ready for AD, Randle and Mirotic

Brick

building a basketball team's roster is a completely different skill set than being a good basketball player. see michael jordan. it's a mistake to let lebron just pick all his boys. he ran the only other good player out of cleveland and outside of bosh/wade he surrounded hisself with garbage. good luck LAKERZZZZ.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
JR Smith was my favorite Nuggets player since Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf, the man who won my heart by not standing for the anthem (even when I was a chlrn I knew being a bootlicker was fucked).

Him, AI, and Melo all on the same team was the most hilarious experiment. THUGGETS! Now THAT is how you build a basketball roster!

CjZfeSuVEAAyePi.jpg:large

Last edited:

GuyIncognito

pressure cooker full of skittles
The unpredictable shooting guard was dapping up veteran Jason Terry on the Milwaukee bench while Tony Snell, the player Smith was supposed to be guarding, sprinted to the basket and recorded the easiest two points of his career.

"I wasn't even paying attention," Smith said. "I don't even remember that."

When Smith asked a reporter to point out the specific play, and was informed of his blunder, being responsible for the uncontested dunk, Smith's response turned even more bizarre, choosing to plead ignorance.

"I didn't even know I was in the game," he said. "My bad."

OK then.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
JR Smith was my favorite Nuggets player since Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf, the man who won my heart by not standing for the anthem (even when I was a chlrn I knew being a bootlicker was fucked).

Him, AI, and Melo all on the same team was the most hilarious experiment. THUGGETS! Now THAT is how you build a basketball roster!

CjZfeSuVEAAyePi.jpg:large

Back when the Nuggets led the league in neck tattoos.

Didn't that roster also include Birdmang?