• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2016-17 Coaching Hot Seat/ Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig7835

I hope Nick Saban promotes Sarkasian to offensive coordinator because if the rumors of him wanting Mike Locksley as OC then kiss a 3rd title goodbye

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
I owe you an apology. I was right about UT initiating the negotiations, but I was wrong about why.

Background: http://www.greenberglawoffice.com/buyout...ee-agency/

The most interesting treatment of the tax issue is found in the documents accompanying (Charlie) Strong’s move to the University of Texas (“Texas”), in which Strong’s Louisville contract is assigned to Texas, with Texas paying an “assignment fee” as consideration for the assignment.[93] By Texas’ assumption of the Louisville contract, the buyout clause is never triggered (or at least never invoked), and the payment by Texas to Louisville is clearly a Texas business expense that does not flow through Strong. Accordingly, there should be no tax liability for Strong because technically no buyout payment was ever made—at least not one that Strong was obligated to pay under his Louisville contract. By removing the applicability of the buyout clause altogether, Texas and Strong appear to have arranged the strongest position for claiming no tax liability for Strong.

Fast forward to a week ago. Houston Chronicle beat writer Joseph Duarte stated in an article that Texas was seeking to have Herman's contract with UH assigned to them (presumably for the same reason Texas sought to do so when hiring Strong). It seems clear now that the conversation must have gone something like this:

UH AD Hunter Yurachek: What's in it for us?
Texas AD Mike Perrin: What did you have in mind?
Y: How about we reduce the assignment (buyout) fee by an amount agreeable to both parties in return for a scheduling agreement?
P: Not happening.

We know that UH is going to receive the $2.5 million no later than 60 days from the date of Herman's resignation. We don't know whether or not UH agreed to the reassignment of Herman's contract. If the answer was no, UT will probably have to provide Herman with an interest-free loan so that he can pay us.
Interesting note. The details of Charlie Strong's UT contract are available online and I saw that assumption of contract deal in the docs.

I would assume Herman has some sort of language in his contract that allows him to off-set that cost to the university.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
minnesota-coach-eating-a-dilly-bar-in-snow.gif

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Looking at the timing of it, and that the firing is effective Jan 2, the timing may have been related to reducing the buyout.

Edit: They gave him a contract extension back in May? That is like the kinda shit Rutgers does.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Looking at the timing of it, and that the firing is effective Jan 2, the timing may have been related to reducing the buyout.

Edit: They gave him a contract extension back in May? That is like the kinda shit Rutgers does.

Relegate college football in the northeast to FCS or D2.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert

$3.4M buyout. :scared:

The Huskies had the worst offense in the nation, averaging 14.8 points a game, and lost their final four games by a combined score of 130-16. :scared::scared:

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Also the contract extension was beyond stupid as last year record was all based on turnovers.

Yeah. As far as the timing of the firing, under the terms of his original contract, his buyout decreased from 1.4M to 800K on New Year's Day 2016. I couldn't find his contract extension online, but I'm guessing it was structured similarly, but who knows.

Renegade

Charge on!
So that now puts the AAC coaching seniority list at:

10+ years - Ken Niumatalolo, Navy
2+ years -
  1. Chad Morris, SMU
  2. Philip Montgomery, Tulsa
1+ year -
  1. Scott Frost, UCF
  2. Scottie Montgomery, ECU
  3. Mike Norvell, Memphis
  4. Willie Fritz, Tulane
1st season -
  1. Geoff Collins, Temple
  2. Charlie Strong, USF
  3. Luke Fickell, Cincinnati
  4. Major Applewhite, Houston
  5. UConn
Nuts...and that's why the AAC can't legitimately make itself into a P6 level conference, because we can't afford to keep the head coaches and they leave for P5 jobs that are better by default despite the conditions.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Yeah....UConn didn't lose a game 78-0. :trollface:

UConn would lose to Rutgers 78-0 right now. I mean, not really, but they suck. Diaco was a fucking awful recruiter and a trog head coach.

Oh, and Michigan's current AD is the one who gave him the extension before leaving town, so thanks a lot :emo:

killerBsaturn

Touchdown Jesus
Beli
Yeah. As far as the timing of the firing, under the terms of his original contract, his buyout decreased from 1.4M to 800K on New Year's Day 2016. I couldn't find his contract extension online, but I'm guessing it was structured similarly, but who knows.
I believe the buyout goes drops from 5m to the 3.4m on the 1st.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
From what I read, his firing isn't official until after January 2nd so the buyout is gonna be the lower one.

R2D2

Connecticut would be smart to go after P.J. Fleck, although I've read multiple articles saying he wants a P5 team.

gilstein21

there's no benefit for fleck taking that job. P5 or bust, but not just any shit job like purdue. He'll be banging strippers in minnesota after next season.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
P.J. Fleck is not going to Storrs lol.

UConn should get the other initial guy: T.J. Weist, USF OC and former UConn OC. Should've been hired after Pasqualoni anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.