• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2016-17 Coaching Hot Seat/ Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.

coogrfan

If nothing else, FAU will get some good recruits.

Not sure why Kiffin would take what has got to be a pay cut, leave the premier program in CFB right now, to try to build up a small-time program that has never been important. If he was angling to get back into the NFL and get NFL-level paychecks, I would think staying at Alabama would be the best thing for him.

I'm guessing that staying at Bama isn't an option. At some point in the last few weeks, Saban walked into Kiffin's office and said something to the effect of "you need to find another job".

Brick

I'm guessing that staying at Bama isn't an option. At some point in the last few weeks, Saban walked into Kiffin's office and said something to the effect of "you need to find another job".
rolling_eyes_lucille_arrested_development.gif

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
@Brick

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...oaching-search-pj-fleck-willie-taggart-emails

My question is to you is [sic] why then, are my Ducks, tonight, dressed in black, blue and yellow and black helmets?
I have written others, including your head coach about dressing “my” Ducks in colors other than green, yellow or white (away games). Each time, and every single time I have received no response. No answer whatsoever.
My Ducks, not yours boy. I belong to a group, many of which know Uncle Phil personally and for many years. Perhaps you are unaware because you are ignorant of the ratio of loses to wins when my team wears black. Yes, perhaps you are. Stupid ignorant boy.
If you, or anyone else ever dresses my team in black again I will start a pogram [sic] against you, personally. As of today, and the game is not over, I will never contribute a f***ing dime to you, or the Duck’s administration while you are AD. I will counsel my friends whom are a lot more pissed off than I am to stop their contributions also. You think this is a boast, try me.

SENT: 10/13/2016, 9:46 AM
Subject: PJ Fleck
Do it.​
And then, one minute later, from the same person:
SENT: 10/13/2016 9:47 AM
Subject: ROB I AM SO SERIOUS
PJ Fleck, make it happen.​

coogrfan

So....it will only cost Oklahoma around $6 million when they finally let Big Game Bobby go in about three years. :trollface:

Houston is going to hate it when LSU snatches him up after 3 years of coach O

Better than getting poached by yet another in-state school.

One last item: our AD stated that he offered UT a substantial reduction of Herman's buyout in return for a home and home scheduling agreement, which the Horns declined. Fucking pussies. :emo:

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
Better than getting poached by yet another in-state school.

One last item: our AD stated that he offered UT a substantial reduction of Herman's buyout in return for a home and home scheduling agreement, which the Horns declined. Fucking pussies. :emo:
I mean the most Houston thing Houston could have done was walk up to UT and be like 'HEY LET US SAVE YOU 2.5 MILLION' like UT didnt have 2.5 million just laying between the couch cushions and might have bounced a check otherwise.

coogrfan

I mean the most Houston thing Houston could have done was walk up to UT and be like 'HEY LET US SAVE YOU 2.5 MILLION' like UT didnt have 2.5 million just laying between the couch cushions and might have bounced a check otherwise.

Well, actually...

http://www.hookem.com/2016/12/12/texas-will-settle-tom-hermans-houston-buyout-2-5-million-check/

When the Texas regents met to approve Herman’s contract on Dec. 3, there was no mention of how the Longhorns would handle the buyout in Herman’s Houston contract. At the time, UT President Gregory L. Fenves said the buyout was being negotiated.

This came as something of a surprise to UH officials, who felt (rightly, imo) that there was nothing to negotiate. As the above article points out:

Texas officials wasted no time scheduling any games with Louisville officials in January 2014. When the school hired Charlie Strong, Texas simply cut a check for $4.375 million to pay for Strong’s buyout.

As I understand it, everybody over on Cullen just assumed UT would cut us a check and move on (as gator pointed out $2.5 million is pocket change at UT). That didn't happen. Instead, the Horns approached UH about the possibility of either a payment plan (as opposed to a lump sum) and/or having UT pay UH directly (presumably for tax purposes?). It was at that point that our AD offered UT a counter-proposal that would have involved a reduction in the buyout in return for scheduling a home and home series in both football and basketball. Not surprisingly, the lying, cowardly, backstabbing fucks in Austin declined.

Last edited:

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
Well, actually...

http://www.hookem.com/2016/12/12/texas-will-settle-tom-hermans-houston-buyout-2-5-million-check/

When the Texas regents met to approve Herman’s contract on Dec. 3, there was no mention of how the Longhorns would handle the buyout in Herman’s Houston contract. At the time, UT President Gregory L. Fenves said the buyout was being negotiated.

This came as something of a surprise to UH officials, who felt (rightly, imo) that there was nothing to negotiate. As the above article points out:

Texas officials wasted no time scheduling any games with Louisville officials in January 2014. When the school hired Charlie Strong, Texas simply cut a check for $4.375 million to pay for Strong’s buyout.

As I understand it, everybody over on Cullen just assumed UT would cut us a check and move on (as gator pointed out, $2.5 million is pocket change at UT). That didn't happen. Instead, the Horns approached UH about the possibility of either a payment plan (as opposed to a lump sum) and/or having UT pay UH directly (presumably for tax purposes?). It was at that point that our AD offered UT a counter-proposal that would have involved a reduction in the buyout in return for scheduling a home and home series in both football and basketball. Not surprisingly, the lying, cowardly, backstabbing fucks in Austin declined.
You do realize Texas has a completely different president and AD since 2013 when they hired Strong right? Color me fucking SHOCKED that they wouldnt just do what the previous dumbass regime did.

It sure as shit sounds like they came to Houston and said "Hey ya'll want this money now or ya'll want to split it up?" (which is pretty much what you said, but also why it was a 'negotiation' since it wasnt final). The counter proposal was pretty much complete shit for Texas, so it obivously was much easier to just pay Houston go away.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Well, actually...

As I understand it, everybody over on Cullen just assumed UT would cut us a check and move on (as gator pointed out $2.5 million is pocket change at UT). That didn't happen. Instead, the Horns approached UH about the possibility of either a payment plan (as opposed to a lump sum) and/or having UT pay UH directly (presumably for tax purposes?). It was at that point that our AD offered UT a counter-proposal that would have involved a reduction in the buyout in return for scheduling a home and home series in both football and basketball. Not surprisingly, the lying, cowardly, backstabbing fucks in Austin declined.

Let the hate flow through you.

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
In things that make @coogrfan happy..

Charlie Strong's buyout at Texas included paying him his guaranteed yearly salary until it expires (2 years @ $5.2m). The base salary of any HC job taken will subtract from that figure.

USF will only pay Charlie a base of $500k for the first 2 years of his deal, meaning Texas owes Charlie $4.7m for the next 2 seasons.

coogrfan

You do realize Texas has a completely different president and AD since 2013 when they hired Strong right? Color me fucking SHOCKED that they wouldnt just do what the previous dumbass regime did.

It sure as shit sounds like they came to Houston and said "Hey ya'll want this money now or ya'll want to split it up?" (which is pretty much what you said, but also why it was a 'negotiation' since it wasnt final). The counter proposal was pretty much complete shit for Texas, so it obivously was much easier to just pay Houston go away.

Yeah, that's probably it. After all, if I have learned one thing in the last 20+ years, it's that the UT athletic dept has a deep and abiding concern for the welfare of others.

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
Exactly what does Houston, specifically playing Houston, do for UT? I mean you know..Besides trying to kill their fans and all.

coogrfan

Exactly what does Houston, specifically playing Houston, do for UT? I mean you know..Besides trying to kill their fans and all.

I don't know, and I don't much care. I do know that the only reason the issue came up at all is the fact that the Richer than Croesus Horns insisted on dragging their heels over a buyout that amounts to little more than pocket change for their athletic dept.. Personally I doubt that Yurachek believed UT would agree to a home and home. In my view it was a polite way of going all Goodfella's on them:

Oh...and if we had wanted to kill their fans, we would have let them go ahead and sit in the temporary bleachers that had been rendered unsafe by several days of heavy rain. I wonder what ol' DeLoss would have had to say about that?

Last edited:

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Why? Alabama has had one of their best offenses in years. The truth is no program with any type of good options would hire Kiffin. He's sucked a HC. FAU is the place he has to start to rebuild and show he's learned something. It's the right landing spot for him. UH, USF and others are too high.

Strong is going to kick ass at USF. Perfect place for him.

Mike Sanford is great hire for WKU. Really good young coach with ties there. Probably will get a P5 job in 2-3 years. WKU with another good hire.

Renegade

Charge on!
So Geoff "Get Yo Chili Hot" Collins to Temple. Yawn. Collins has proven to be a decent DC with elite talent, but he's a douchebag with a catch phrase. I think Temple will be back to being Temple here shortly.

Thepro_23

So Geoff "Get Yo Chili Hot" Collins to Temple. Yawn. Collins has proven to be a decent DC with elite talent, but he's a douchebag with a catch phrase. I think Temple will be back to being Temple here shortly.
Not a very impressive hire, but they could get lucky. He's coached on a few good teams and has pretty good recruiting experience, but mostly in the South. We will see how that translates into a school in the NE.

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
Glad he's gone just so I don't have to see those stupid $ DOWN signs.

fried rice

Who wants to sex Mutombo?
Why? Alabama has had one of their best offenses in years. The truth is no program with any type of good options would hire Kiffin. He's sucked a HC. FAU is the place he has to start to rebuild and show he's learned something. It's the right landing spot for him. UH, USF and others are too high.

Strong is going to kick ass at USF. Perfect place for him.

Mike Sanford is great hire for WKU. Really good young coach with ties there. Probably will get a P5 job in 2-3 years. WKU with another good hire.

Kiffin is like a shitty Bobby Petrino. Relatively flaky, womanizing reputation, disastrous NFL head coaching experience. But Petrino is actually sort of worth it.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Oregon hired Jim Leavitt as their defensive coordinator. That's a great hire. Colorado's defense was one of the best, if not the best, in the Pac 12 last year. And Oregon has a ton more talent than Colorado.

Assuming Taggert keeps the offensive staff together, I'd be pretty pleased as an Oregon fan so far.

Brick

Oregon hired Jim Leavitt as their defensive coordinator. That's a great hire. Colorado's defense was one of the best, if not the best, in the Pac 12 last year. And Oregon has a ton more talent than Colorado.

Assuming Taggert keeps the offensive staff together, I'd be pretty pleased as an Oregon fan so far.
Fuck yeah. Great hire. Just hope he brings his USF OC over.

coogrfan

I owe you an apology. I was right about UT initiating the negotiations, but I was wrong about why.

Background: http://www.greenberglawoffice.com/buyout...ee-agency/

The most interesting treatment of the tax issue is found in the documents accompanying (Charlie) Strong’s move to the University of Texas (“Texas”), in which Strong’s Louisville contract is assigned to Texas, with Texas paying an “assignment fee” as consideration for the assignment.[93] By Texas’ assumption of the Louisville contract, the buyout clause is never triggered (or at least never invoked), and the payment by Texas to Louisville is clearly a Texas business expense that does not flow through Strong. Accordingly, there should be no tax liability for Strong because technically no buyout payment was ever made—at least not one that Strong was obligated to pay under his Louisville contract. By removing the applicability of the buyout clause altogether, Texas and Strong appear to have arranged the strongest position for claiming no tax liability for Strong.

Fast forward to a week ago. Houston Chronicle beat writer Joseph Duarte stated in an article that Texas was seeking to have Herman's contract with UH assigned to them (presumably for the same reason Texas sought to do so when hiring Strong). It seems clear now that the conversation must have gone something like this:

UH AD Hunter Yurachek: What's in it for us?
Texas AD Mike Perrin: What did you have in mind?
Y: How about we reduce the assignment (buyout) fee by an amount agreeable to both parties in return for a scheduling agreement?
P: Not happening.

We know that UH is going to receive the $2.5 million no later than 60 days from the date of Herman's resignation. We don't know whether or not UH agreed to the reassignment of Herman's contract. If the answer was no, UT will probably have to provide Herman with an interest-free loan so that he can pay us.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.