• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2016-17 Coaching Hot Seat/ Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thepro_23

I don't. Did you see the way Kiffin just sabotaged that gameplan let alone Hurts? He knew better about that. Why in the fuck did he NOT utilize a 2TE 2 RB set when the Huskies was running cornerback blitz almost 60% of the game, then you want to get cute by trying to run trick plays? He did the same shit against Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl back in 2015
My dad thought it was because they didn't wanna show too much before the NC. Who knows though?

BamaRedwingsFan

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
e22ea4b7ad293561454ea0b619f9cc5c.jpg

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

wolverine318

Mod Alumni
The thing with having an OC and 5 co OCs and running coordinator and passing coordinator and shitting coordinator is you never truly know who did what. But if you look at our passing JF was by all accounts average and it isn't like he will be impossible to replace or is a huge loss for Michigan. He was fine, but there is better out there.

Skeeter

Uber felon
I don't know which one of the brain trust of beck and warriner was calling plays, but I do know Beck was qb Coach and jt regressed during becks 2 years. He also coached down Taylor Martinez in Nebraska so it seems obvious he has no idea how to coach a qb.

Apparently Ryan day will be the new qb Coach. I don't know enough about him to have an opinion, but apparently he was qb Coach in San Francisco and Philadelphia recently.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
How much of JT's regression was because the skill position talent is not where it was his first two years? Curtis Samuel is obviously really good, but Mike Weber is no Zeke Elliott, and I'm not sure I could name another OSU receiver from this year.

His regression is actually pretty surprising to me. I thought he had a shot at being one of the best ever QBs at OSU after his first year. That year was insane for a freshman. But it's been downhill since.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
How much of JT's regression was because the skill position talent is not where it was his first two years? Curtis Samuel is obviously really good, but Mike Weber is no Zeke Elliott, and I'm not sure I could name another OSU receiver from this year.

His regression is actually pretty surprising to me. I thought he had a shot at being one of the best ever QBs at OSU after his first year. That year was insane for a freshman. But it's been downhill since.

OSU has receivers?!?!? Every game that I watched had JT throwing hopeful balls downfield to no one. Hard to move the ball when there are eight or nine guys in the box on every play.

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni

How much of his regression is dedicated to Meyer screwing up the QB position by not making a damn decision between him and Carsales Jones last year?

But yes. OSU's talent level took a significant decline from 2015/2014 levels. It bring up an interesting point on Meyer on if his run is going to continue at OSU, or if the program starts trending down hill as it did in 09-10 at Florida. Just like the '14 Buckeyes, '08 Florida was one of the more underrated teams in terms of pure overall talent. The recruiting dragged after that initial surge, Meyer completely blew the QB situation (Brantley over Cam) and the coaching changes on each side of the ball (Mullen and Strong both leaving in consecutive years) really dragged and the talent couldnt keep up. Plus you know.. DA GERD. If theres one flaw on him, hes yet to show he can maintain a program, but he can sure as hell build it up.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
How much of his regression is dedicated to Meyer screwing up the QB position by not making a damn decision between him and Carsales Jones last year?

But yes. OSU's talent level took a significant decline from 2015/2014 levels. It bring up an interesting point on Meyer on if his run is going to continue at OSU, or if the program starts trending down hill as it did in 09-10 at Florida. Just like the '14 Buckeyes, '08 Florida was one of the more underrated teams in terms of pure overall talent. The recruiting dragged after that initial surge, Meyer completely blew the QB situation (Brantley over Cam) and the coaching changes on each side of the ball (Mullen and Strong both leaving in consecutive years) really dragged and the talent couldnt keep up. Plus you know.. DA GERD. If theres one flaw on him, hes yet to show he can maintain a program, but he can sure as hell build it up.

It's difficult to imagine Meyer not sustaining success at OSU given how shitty the Big Ten is. Michigan is the only team in the conference that will have similar talent. But we're now digging out of a Hoke recruiting mess for the next year or two, plus we're never going to get Ohio kids like OSU does. Penn State could have some years with a better team than OSU. Other than that, no one is really going to be able to challenge them. Easily pencil them in with 10 wins for as long as Meyer is there.

Their recruiting right now is on Alabama's level, too. Maybe OSU isn't a national title contender every year like they have been since Meyer took over, but I doubt OSU turns into Florida.

Skeeter

Uber felon
Well there was definitely going to be a drop after last year's entire class going to the nfl.

They did this weird thing where they kept taking qbs and rbs that were super athletic and trying to make them wrs. Dontre Wilson, parris Campbell, Gibson, etc.

Starting with last class they finally started recruiting kids who played wr in college, so I'm hopefully we will see improvement there.

I've also been amazed at how shitty our route trees are. How are we not running slants and dig routes all day long? Where are the screens to get wrs in space? Why does the te cease to exist? These have all been problems the last 2 years since Herman left.

Kevin Wilson named o-cordinator today so hopefully that stuff gets cleaned up.

Will be interesting to see how it turns around. We were 11-2 this year and 12-1 last year, it's not like the sky is falling.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
I don't know which one of the brain trust of beck and warriner was calling plays, but I do know Beck was qb Coach and jt regressed during becks 2 years. He also coached down Taylor Martinez in Nebraska so it seems obvious he has no idea how to coach a qb.

Apparently Ryan day will be the new qb Coach. I don't know enough about him to have an opinion, but apparently he was qb Coach in San Francisco and Philadelphia recently.

Ryan Day is a Chip guy (obviously, I guess); he ran Addazio's one decent offense at BC, too, but that was incredibly run focused so I'm not sure if that says anything about his QB development skills. I think @PSUEagle has a good opinion of him, though?

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
It's difficult to imagine Meyer not sustaining success at OSU given how shitty the Big Ten is. Michigan is the only team in the conference that will have similar talent. But we're now digging out of a Hoke recruiting mess for the next year or two, plus we're never going to get Ohio kids like OSU does. Penn State could have some years with a better team than OSU. Other than that, no one is really going to be able to challenge them. Easily pencil them in with 10 wins for as long as Meyer is there.

Their recruiting right now is on Alabama's level, too. Maybe OSU isn't a national title contender every year like they have been since Meyer took over, but I doubt OSU turns into Florida.
I mean its pretty clear Im coming into this argument with an extreme level of bias, but this is the same thing I remember hearing in 2008-2009 when Florida lost 2 games over 2 seasons.

The recruiting then was on Alabama's level. They had the top overall class in 07 and 10, and were top 3-5 in 08/09 depending on where you look. They brought in highly rated kids.

Florida was going to continue cleaning up Florida and the SEC was clearly on abit of an upswing, but wasnt the monster it quite could be. FSU was 7-6 in 09 and had the off-season Bowden/Fisher deal and Florida/Bama were the only SEC teams that year with more than 9 wins.

Im not saying Meyer is going to goto shit and Ohio state is gonna average 6 wins a year. We just havent seen Meyer get past this point as a head coach yet. The only time he did he got hurt by the coaching changes, got DA GERD and ran off.

The Wilson hire is an interesting one, considering the whole player treatment shit he got fired for.

Skeeter

Uber felon
Actually sound more like he was fired for being a drunk, but who knows for sure.

Wilson ran a damn good offense in the past.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Wilson might solve some of OSU's problems just by going fast. God damn that talent and a hurry up system will be devastating. They'd probably only need 4 plays to be successful - power, zone read, bubble screen, and some type of deep pass.

Good news for Tennessee. Awful news for Indiana. Guess they're going back to being 2-10 for a while.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Wilson might solve some of OSU's problems just by going fast. God damn that talent and a hurry up system will be devastating. They'd probably only need 4 plays to be successful - power, zone read, bubble screen, and some type of deep pass.

Good news for Tennessee. Awful news for Indiana. Guess they're going back to being 2-10 for a while.

OSU's plays just seemed to take ages to develop. Nothing seemed to be a quick read for JT. Or he's just not capable of processing quickly right now.

Browning was the same way in that game.

Holds it...holds it...

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
It didn't help that OSU had a couple of turnstyles at OL, at least in pass protection. There's a reason why Michigan and Clemson held them to a combined 10 points on offense over 120 minutes. Barrett was under duress all year. Add in great defensive lines and he became incapable of passing.

Wilson is an interesting hire for Urban to take on. His offense is great, don't get me wrong, but it's pretty different from Meyer's power spread. How much room will Meyer give him? Plus, Meyer's offenses don't do a ton of hurry up. Wilson operates at hyper speed. Then there's the whole player abuse or addiction issue that Wilson may or may not have.

goblue96

PSU lived in the OSU backfield in the second half of their game this year too. Pretty much, if you had a defense with a pulse, you could get to JT and make it a game.

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni

plays.jpg~original

Brick

@DeadMan It seems like Urban doesn't have too much hands-on control of the offense unlike other head coaches, which makes it a good sign that they hired Wilson who has a proven track record of having great offenses. For instance you know with the HC/OC dual types like Chip Kelly, Mike Leach, Bobby Petrino, Mike Gundy, etc. that no matter who is token OC you're pretty much getting the same production year after year. Without Mullen or Herman there was a significant drop-off in production under Meyer. Even not considering this year, how was Ohio State's offense #41 overall last year? It's not like Major Applewhite was lighting up scoreboards as OC before Herman hired him at Houston, either. I don't think he'll have any problem with Beck as OC. It seems like Meyer is more of a head coach who lets his assistants do their jobs than others who specialize on one side of the ball.

bruin

Harbaugh snatching Fisch up as fast as he can and all of a sudden he's not good enough for Mora? :thumbsup:

goblue96

Harbaugh was doing Fisch a favor by getting him away from BORTLES!~! as fast as he could. :thumbsup:

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
@DeadMan It seems like Urban doesn't have too much hands-on control of the offense unlike other head coaches, which makes it a good sign that they hired Wilson who has a proven track record of having great offenses. For instance you know with the HC/OC dual types like Chip Kelly, Mike Leach, Bobby Petrino, Mike Gundy, etc. that no matter who is token OC you're pretty much getting the same production year after year. Without Mullen or Herman there was a significant drop-off in production under Meyer. Even not considering this year, how was Ohio State's offense #41 overall last year? It's not like Major Applewhite was lighting up scoreboards as OC before Herman hired him at Houston, either. I don't think he'll have any problem with Beck as OC. It seems like Meyer is more of a head coach who lets his assistants do their jobs than others who specialize on one side of the ball.

Meyer probably sets the parameters of the offense though. Power spread, run first, no huddle but not super fast, all have been constants under him. Maybe that changes with Wilson, I suppose. It's been more about getting an OC that can thrive in that style. But Wilson's spread is pretty different from Meyer's, except that he'll go to a run first when he has the right personnel. Wilson isn't going to be running 20 outside zone plays in a row with 7 seconds in between plays at OSU like he did at Indiana.

Brick

Meyer probably sets the parameters of the offense though. Power spread, run first, no huddle but not super fast, all have been constants under him. Maybe that changes with Wilson, I suppose. It's been more about getting an OC that can thrive in that style. But Wilson's spread is pretty different from Meyer's, except that he'll go to a run first when he has the right personnel. Wilson isn't going to be running 20 outside zone plays in a row with 7 seconds in between plays at OSU like he did at Indiana.
That's fair, but Meyer has faced him enough that I'm sure he's considered it going in. He seems pretty flexible mixing it up. I think he'll be a huge success.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Mike DeBord at IU?

giphy.gif

Guess that Old Oaken Bucket streak is over. Brohm's offense vs. DeBord's is going to be the battle of the opposites.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
That's fair, but Meyer has faced him enough that I'm sure he's considered it going in. He seems pretty flexible mixing it up. I think he'll be a huge success.

Yeah, I'm terrified/pissed. I'm sure Harbaugh will replace Fisch with a good coach, but it's not going to be someone at Kevin Wilson's level. Meanwhile, Meyer just snaps his finger and gets one of the best offensive minds of this generation.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Yeah, that was not a great stretch of games. But they lost these games by a combined 5 points in spite of that. Hoke's OL (and skill position players) recruiting just cratered. The OL was shitty and got dominated by all of those teams, except Indiana. Speight is the first QB recruited by Al Borges to be even average in college. If Darboh makes one more catch against Iowa or FSU, those games are wins.

Next year is a huge year for Harbaugh. The offense will be almost all his guys. Hopefully they start to look more like Stanford and less like a slightly better Lloyd Carr offense.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Just pointing out how close Michigan was, despite their offense falling off a cliff. Come on @Brick. We're not talking about them needing to go from an offense ranked in the 100s to a top 10 offense. We're talking about improving them from an okay/slightly above average offense to a good offense.

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
Who the fuck cares? FB is just a diversion, in the state, until High School Ice Hockey season starts. :thumbsup:

@adchester
I stopped caring about Minnesota football when they gang-raped a chick. Everyone involved entirely deserves whatever happens to them. To be fair, I hope the AD and President get fired too.

Especially the AD, he hasn't made ONE press conference/interview/speech through any of this. Just released prepared statements to the press. Such a bad look.

Brick

I see Taggart hasn't yet hired an OC for Oregon. Didn't someone in here say it's important he brings along his USF staff because he doesn't call the plays and they changed his old trog offense? Every place I'm looking says he makes the calls.

wolverine318

Mod Alumni
Just pointing out how close Michigan was, despite their offense falling off a cliff. Come on @Brick. We're not talking about them needing to go from an offense ranked in the 100s to a top 10 offense. We're talking about improving them from an okay/slightly above average offense to a good offense.
Speight also missed a ton of open looks in the osu and FSU games. So from a pure playcalling perspective, we had the looks and open WRs, they were just missed or dropped some balls.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Dear Eric Kaler and Mark Coyle,

Thank you for giving me another reason to vote red instead of blue in 2020.

Signed,

The Hachiko.

P.S. Hire Les Miles before you two liberal flogs are deservedly gone as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.