• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

World Cup Group D (England, Costa, Urgay, Italy)

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Hart should not be up on corners. Goal difference could still be a huge deal in this group.

chibob

So somehow the commentators think we can still go through?

Whats the math on this?

The most we can is three points? So how on earth can we get through?

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong

Whats the math on this?

Italy win twice, England beat Costa Rica. Goes down to goal difference - which England would likely win in that scenario. Unlikely not but not outside the realm of possibility.

BIG EVIL

America's Finest

Whats the math on this?

Beat Costa Rica and Italy beat Uruguay. You're not bad with a -2 GD as of now.

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni

Whats the math on this?

Costa Rica lose to Italy (badly). Uruguay lose to Italy (badly). England hammer Costa Rica.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
All of the goal differential stuff really could have been avoided if England would have just switched their tactics to "score more goals than Uruguay scores" or even a "Stop suarez from scoring goals" tactic. Of course, hindsight is 20/20

Reactions: NML

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
We go through if Italy beat both Costa Rica and Urgay. Then we have to beat Costa Rica and get a better goal difference. I don't feel bad any more. If we had a good finisher (world class), who was on form we would have won. As it is you can't get upset when you're not good enough. I was chuckling at Suarez, as that little fuck isn't even getting to the quarters. Not much better than us, not going to win anything.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Here's something funny I just realized. Since 1994, here's England and the US' records at the World Cups:

England
1994 - DNQ
1998 - Lose in round of 16
2002 - Lose in quarterfinals
2006 - Lose in quarterfinals
2010 - Lose in round of 16

So, total - DNQ 1, R16 2, Quarterfinals 2

USA
1994 - Lose in round of 16
1998 - Eliminated in group stage
2006 - Eliminated in group stage

Total - Group stage 2, round of 16 2, quarterfinals once

So, in the last 20 years, England's only real accomplishment over the US at the World Cup is an extra quarter final. But the US went to every World Cup, while England didn't. England pretty much equals the US in soccer at this point.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Only people that should be getting exited with the shit talk are those that support a country that has a good soccer team. That doesn't include England or USA.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Cricket season is in full swing. It's much more enjoyable to watch England lose at that. No elimination and lots of tied games. :thumbsup:

NML

Only people that should be getting exited with the shit talk are those that support a country that has a good soccer team. That doesn't include England or USA.

I actually was rooting for Ingerland, I bet on them twice (probably why they lost, honestly). I feel bad for you that it looks like they won't advance.

But chibob is such a smug douche about the sport that I'm happy to see him get it back. He rips constantly on the US, yet they've been as good, if not better, than England over most of our lives, especially recently.

So because of that, I'm happy ingerland are done.

Please tell us more about Dempsey being Championship quality...

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Here's something funny I just realized. Since 1994, here's England and the US' records at the World Cups:

England
1994 - DNQ
1998 - Lose in round of 16
2006 - Lose in quarterfinals

So, total - DNQ 1, R16 2, Quarterfinals 2

USA
1994 - Lose in round of 16
1998 - Eliminated in group stage
2006 - Eliminated in group stage

Total - Group stage 2, round of 16 2, quarterfinals once

So, in the last 20 years, England's only real accomplishment over the US at the World Cup is an extra quarter final. But the US went to every World Cup, while England didn't. England pretty much equals the US in soccer at this point.
Great points + The US finished ahead of England in the same group in 2010. Game, set, match USA.

As I posted a few weeks ago and was attacked by the psycho English dude on here: The EPL has completely screwed English soccer. Probably more so the EU rules on foreign players in the EPL has screwed English soccer. Yes they have the best league in the world now but it doesn't help your national team that much when it kills your depth. This is why MLS has the strict international player rules about slots on a team.

chibob

I actually was rooting for Ingerland, I bet on them twice (probably why they lost, honestly). I feel bad for you that it looks like they won't advance.

But chibob is such a smug douche about the sport that I'm happy to see him get it back. He rips constantly on the US, yet they've been as good, if not better, than England over most of our lives, especially recently.

So because of that, I'm happy ingerland are done.

Please tell us more about Dempsey being Championship quality...

All my ripping is focused on you idiots.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Great points + The US finished ahead of England in the same group in 2010. Game, set, match USA.

As I posted a few weeks ago and was attacked by the psycho English dude on here: The EPL has completely screwed English soccer. Probably more so the EU rules on foreign players in the EPL has screwed English soccer. Yes they have the best league in the world now but it doesn't help your national team that much when it kills your depth. This is why MLS has the strict international player rules about slots on a team.

Maybe, but how many players do they really need to have good depth for a national team? 40 or so? That's 2 players per team in the EPL. Plus a few guys who may play overseas. I think the bigger issue is that their talent is overrated. They've never been to a European Final, and they've only been to the semifinal level of the World Cup twice in 64 years.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Maybe, but how many players do they really need to have good depth for a national team? 40 or so? That's 2 players per team in the EPL. Plus a few guys who may play overseas. I think the bigger issue is that their talent is overrated. They've never been to a European Final, and they've only been to the semifinal level of the World Cup twice in 64 years.

England - never reached a European Championship final

Greece and Denmark - each have won a European Championship :thumbsup:

doh

I agree with they're always the most overrated team in the world although I'm not sure how that's an issue.

You need way more than 40 playing in your pro league to have good depth for a national team.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
I agree with they're always the most overrated team in the world although I'm not sure how that's an issue.

You need way more than 40 playing in your pro league to have good depth for a national team.

I meant 40 guys who were national team level. I guess I'd have to go through each teams roster to see how many English players they have tho. I don't see it as big of an issue as you do either tho, when a lot of countries best players don't play in that countries' league. I guess the main ones would be the Netherlands and France tho.

doh

I meant 40 guys who were national team level. I guess I'd have to go through each teams roster to see how many English players they have tho. I don't see it as big of an issue as you do either tho, when a lot of countries best players don't play in that countries' league. I guess the main ones would be the Netherlands and France tho.
But most countries guys will come up through their youth team (and if they aren't the elite elite guys) play with that team for a while before moving onto another team. Some guys develop later not everyone is a superstar when they're 20 especially roles players. If not that many guys get to play in the EPL then how are you suppose to find lesser level guys who fill gaps and could eventually find their form/fitness right before a WC? Also the less guys from your country who play the less chances that one of them becomes good without consistent game experience.

I'm not familiar enough to know if the fringe type English guys just go to Dempsey level Championship or other countries though...

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Ok going through the top teams rosters, I get what you are saying, as the top teams are sub 50% English player. I still think that speaks more to the overratedness of English talent.