2014 MLB Thread: No Noodles

Renegade

Charge on!
So the Braves get a guy who can't pitch this season because of injury and what will prolly turn into a couple of bench bats. Hooray

Maybe, but every report says if Fried was healthy (wouldn't that be sweet? Healthy fried chicken and French fries every night!), there's no way he'd have been included. So it's a gamble, but the Braves just hired a guy from San Diego's front office, so they probably have a good idea on what they're getting. Upton walks after next year, so his trade value isn't as high as it should be for his talent level. I think we did ok and all four of those guys become top 20 prospects in our depleted minor league organization.

Renegade

Charge on!
Also, I keep reading blogs saying the Braves made the right move to trade Upton but should not have traded Heyward because defensive WAR, blah blah blah. Here's the thing, statistical analysis still must be balanced against business operations. Heyward is going to get a contract that far exceeds his production. We can argue about the monetary value of his defense, but he's going to get a contract that suggests he's one of the Top 10 offensive players in the game, and he's not. He's a younger Nick Markakis and will get a contract more than double the AAV we gave Markakis (which everyone in the blogosphere thinks was too much -- and they might be right, but it just reinforces my point about Heyward).

Lloyd Carr

Just glancing at the Yankees projected squad for 2015, I think there's actually some hope/potential for a playoff push.

All depends on health.

osick87

Community Liaison
The AL East will be a logjam other than maybe the Rays.

I would probably go
Baltimore
Boston
Toronto
New York

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
I think Hedges is crazy overrated and Fried for one year of Upton seems nuts. If they work out an extension, I like it more. I guess chances are high they get a comp pick for him too.
Well the Padres aren't signing talent the level that Upton has in the FA market so they have to trade for him. Fried is a long ways away and he hasn't exactly lit up the Midwest League which is a bad sign for a high picked pitcher. He should mow through that league and maybe he was injured, still his numbers have been bad.

And yeah comp pick (or a ton of talent at the deadline) isn't a bad security blanket for Upton.

atlbraves

Also, I keep reading blogs saying the Braves made the right move to trade Upton but should not have traded Heyward because defensive WAR, blah blah blah. Here's the thing, statistical analysis still must be balanced against business operations. Heyward is going to get a contract that far exceeds his production. We can argue about the monetary value of his defense, but he's going to get a contract that suggests he's one of the Top 10 offensive players in the game, and he's not. He's a younger Nick Markakis and will get a contract more than double the AAV we gave Markakis (which everyone in the blogosphere thinks was too much -- and they might be right, but it just reinforces my point about Heyward).

Heyward was traded because the Braves couldn't afford him, not because his contract will far exceed his production. By any measure, he's a 5-win player when healthy. Calling him a younger Nick Markakis is basically laughable. A defensive outfield of Gattis, Upton, and Markakis will be an unmitigated disaster.

I'm still holding out hope that the Braves are doing with Heyward what the Sox tried to do with Lester, trade him and bring him back.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Well the Padres aren't signing talent the level that Upton has in the FA market so they have to trade for him. Fried is a long ways away and he hasn't exactly lit up the Midwest League which is a bad sign for a high picked pitcher. He should mow through that league and maybe he was injured, still his numbers have been bad.

And yeah comp pick (or a ton of talent at the deadline) isn't a bad security blanket for Upton.
Not reading too much into those MWL numbers.

Renegade

Charge on!
Heyward was traded because the Braves couldn't afford him, not because his contract will far exceed his production. By any measure, he's a 5-win player when healthy. Calling him a younger Nick Markakis is basically laughable. A defensive outfield of Gattis, Upton, and Markakis will be an unmitigated disaster.

I'm still holding out hope that the Braves are doing with Heyward what the Sox tried to do with Lester, trade him and bring him back.

Braves could totally afford him at a price that reflects his production (~$15m, having made $13m this year and next), which isn't the $20-25m/year he's going to get. He's an elite defensive player but he is not an elite offensive player. His offensive production is basically Nick Markakis, so given his elite defense, Heyward, in my view, is worth $15m/year, and that's taking into account that the Braves overpaid Markakis. Heyward is not a 30-30 guy like everyone believes he could/should be; he's a 15-15 guy with a .260 average who walks a lot but also disappears from the lineup for weeks at a time.

Last edited:

atlbraves

Yeah but you act like defense doesn't exist... there's a reason the Braves had one of the best pitching staffs last year, and it wasn't the pitchers.

Renegade

Charge on!
Yeah but you act like defense doesn't exist... there's a reason the Braves had one of the best pitching staffs last year, and it wasn't the pitchers.

I don't think defense is worth $10m more per year, no. The defense will be a lot worse with Gattis in LF, and Markakis is just above average instead of excellent, so it's a downgrade. You know, the advanced defensive metrics hate Freddie Freeman, but baseball people all think he's an excellent 1B, so I'm interested to see if the fall off is as great as the metrics would have us believe between Heyward and Markakis.

R2D2

What do you mean? He traded Rollins for two prospects that won't see life above AAA. :thumbsup:

The overpaying for washed up guys. :laughing: Byrd was supposed to be traded to the Reds, but the deal fell apart. I'm assuming Ruben wanted too much for him, as always.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Terrible trade, Horse head is gone

01horse_cfdb1938.gif

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Horse head gimmick the pinnacle of basic bro behavior

Renegade

Charge on!
Basically the MLB teams need to send the DR players on vacation to Alaska for the offseason. Either it's a car wreck or some sort of criminal shit every year it seems.

Gooksta

Starlin Castro will be buying an off season home in Florida or Arizona according to reports. He agrees with agent and front office DR is no longer a good spot for him.

Also Cubs acquire Chris Denorfia. I like this acquisition a lot. Solves a lot of what cubs are looking for.

Renegade

Charge on!
Hate to see Ben Lively shipped from the Reds to the Phillies. He'll arrive in MLB quicker, but RAJ will somehow dick up his approach or something. Also the Phillies just suck, so there's that.

R2D2

That's like the pot calling the kettle black. Barves suck too homie. Nationals/Marlins are gonna have fun winning the division for the next 2-3 seasons.