• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Warm Butts and Merry-Go-Rounds - Corches Hot Seat/ Coaching Carousel

Brick

You guys will come around after the first press conference. He will say all the right things.

Man I want to go down the twitter Kiffin rabbit hole.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Kiffin will be hired at UF, Nebraska, or Michigan. He has already demolished two major programs, he needs a third to complete the trifecta. It's inevitable.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
WE DID IT!

Now go after Dan Mullen Eichorst, don't be a pussy and hire some scrub coach like Schiano.

Bdub

It's hard to decide who has the more unrealistic expectations for their team, Michigan or Nebraska. I know both teams are a simple coaching hire from never losing again.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
It's hard to decide who has the more unrealistic expectations for their team, Michigan or Nebraska. I know both teams are a simple coaching hire from never losing again.

Is it really unrealistic for a football program to expect to not get torched on national television every year? Is it really unrealistic to expect your head coach not be a raving lunatic screaming at players every game? To be better than 3rd in the Big Ten West? A barely trained monkey could have led this team to 9 wins with the schedule we played. It's what you do with the other games that defines you as a program and Nebraska failed miserably in each one of them.

Yeah, so unrealistic.

Bdub

Is it really unrealistic for a football program to expect to not get torched on national television every year? Is it really unrealistic to expect your head coach not be a raving lunatic screaming at players every game? To be better than 3rd in the Big Ten West? A barely trained monkey could have led this team to 9 wins with the schedule we played. It's what you do with the other games that defines you as a program and Nebraska failed miserably in each one of them.

Yeah, so unrealistic.
Wat? 9 wins is a good amount I would say. Every team gets blown out sometimes. Remember we are dealing with 19 and 20 year old kids. If Polini wins the conference I doubt we would hear you complain about how he acted as the coach.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Read that Nebraska was one of 4 programs with at least 9 wins in the past 5 years. I get the frustration with Pelini, but I think Nebraska is going to regret firing him.

And, also, what coach will want to go there when the last guy got fired with an over .700 winning percentage? No conference titles, sure, but he was also 1 second and a bullshit review away from winning the Big 12.

MtneerManiac

Burning Couches
I understand the frustration, but I feel like coordinators should have been fired before Pelini himself.

Seriously look at this:

9-4
10-4
10-4
9-4
10-4
9-4
9-3

and dis dude got fired.:nebraskaman:

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
Interesting tidbit- Kirk Ferentz is due a $4,000,000 longevity payment on Jan. 1st. I think if hey pull the trigger before that clause comes due, they end up saving some money.

@DHawkeye

bighuskermav

Mod Alumni
Wat? 9 wins is a good amount I would say. Every team gets blown out sometimes. Remember we are dealing with 19 and 20 year old kids. If Polini wins the conference I doubt we would hear you complain about how he acted as the coach.

People need to get over this "9 wins is the golden standard" nonsense. If Bo had won a few conference championships or been to a few BCS bowls, people would overlook 4 loss seasons. Nebraska fans don't expect to win the national championship any more, but we haven't won a conference title since 1999 or been to a BCS bowl since 2001. This is the 2nd longest conference championship drought in the history of our program. Nothing was going to change if we maintained the status quo. 9 wins is the bare minimum for what should be expected at Nebraska....it's not a gold standard stamp of approval.

As far as, "And, also, what coach will want to go there when the last guy got fired with an over .700 winning percentage?" John Cooper had a 71% winning percentage at Ohio State and he went 8-4 in his final season at tOSU. Who in their right fucking minds thinks they made a bad decision by firing him and brining in Jim Tressel? They won the national championship 2 years later.

No way SE made this decision without already having his man. We just have to hope it's a good one.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator

You don't read my posts often if you doubt that, but not to worry, the closest Bo Pelini got Nebraska to winning any conference was 4 years ago so it isn't like we have that to go by.

Nebraska doesn't get blowout "sometimes", we get blown out EVERY. YEAR. Who gives a shit if you win 9 games against the scrubs of the Big Ten West and FCS opponents if you get torched by the only good teams you face? An empty 9 wins and third place finishes in the Big Ten West may be good for some programs, hell, it'd probably be good for Iowa and Kirk Ferentz but it isn't good here. We were far closer to 7 win seasons than we ever were to an 11 win season under Bo. It was by some of the most lucky shit imaginable that Nebraska got to those 9 wins.

At the very least, a coach should be expected to compete closely with his program's peers. Going by that, Nebraska's peers are Minnesota and Iowa. That isn't acceptable. Our peers should be Wisconsin and Michigan State and we get our doors blown off by each.

Bo will have success the rest of his career, he's a good football coach, but he is not a good fit for Nebraska.

Craig7835

I understand the frustration, but I feel like coordinators should have been fired before Pelini himself.

Seriously look at this:

9-4
10-4
10-4
9-4
10-4
9-4
9-3

and dis dude got fired.:nebraskaman:

The coordinators should've gotten the ax before Pelini. I mean the defensive coordinator should've went 1st anything you let Gordon put up the amount of total offense by himself on one game.

Craig7835

Justin Fuente isn't getting enough pub. The guy is winning at fuckin Memphis.

It took Fuente a damn good while to build that team back up. The Tigers haven't been good since the DeAngelo Williams years when they had Tommy West as the coach & Joe Lee Dunn being the mastermind of the 335 defense,which was #1 in the nation in their 2003 Bowl season

Eichorst let Pelini coach the team with the coordinators he (Pelini) wanted. If you won't let a coach pick their own coordinators that pretty much says you don't trust them as a coach.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
As far as, "And, also, what coach will want to go there when the last guy got fired with an over .700 winning percentage?" John Cooper had a 71% winning percentage at Ohio State and he went 8-4 in his final season at tOSU. Who in their right fucking minds thinks they made a bad decision by firing him and brining in Jim Tressel? They won the national championship 2 years later.

There's a huge difference between Nebraska and Ohio State. Ohio State is a top 5 coaching job and top 5 program. In the middle of the most fertile recruiting territory outside of California, Texas, and Florida, but no big rivals in state to poach talent. Cooper's teams were also extremely talented - Pelini's teams don't even compare to that. I will give you that if you can find a coach that's Tressel's caliber, then it will work out well. I don't think that coach is out there right now. And if he were, you're also competing against Florida and Michigan for coaches. Nebraska is likely the hardest to win at of those 3.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
There's a huge difference between Nebraska and Ohio State. Ohio State is a top 5 coaching job and top 5 program. In the middle of the most fertile recruiting territory outside of California, Texas, and Florida, but no big rivals in state to poach talent. Cooper's teams were also extremely talented - Pelini's teams don't even compare to that. I will give you that if you can find a coach that's Tressel's caliber, then it will work out well. I don't think that coach is out there right now. And if he were, you're also competing against Florida and Michigan for coaches. Nebraska is likely the hardest to win at of those 3.

You'd be shocked at the number of (idiot) Nebraska fans who want Jim Tressel. The actual Jim Tressel, not the next Jim Tressel. Show-cause penalty and all.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
It took Fuente a damn good while to build that team back up. The Tigers haven't been good since the DeAngelo Williams years when they had Tommy West as the coach & Joe Lee Dunn being the mastermind of the 335 defense,which was #1 in the nation in their 2003 Bowl season

He's only been there 3 years.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
The coordinators should've gotten the ax before Pelini. I mean the defensive coordinator should've went 1st anything you let Gordon put up the amount of total offense by himself on one game.

These were Bo's coordinators. A lot of people forget that Bo is on his 2nd offensive coordinator and 2nd defensive coordinator. He got the chance to make changes once and the guys he hired failed miserably, there wasn't a lot of faith remaining that he'd do better the 2nd time around. Bo is just too committed to his "guys" and his system. He'd never allow a defensive coordinator to come in and take over the defense completely.

bighuskermav

Mod Alumni

lol wut? Bo Pelini ran the defense...His defensive coordinator was a puppet.

I initially had this thought as well (fire the key assistants), but honestly...when has that ever worked out? You'd just be kicking the can for a few more years.

bighuskermav

Mod Alumni

Look beyond the past decade...If you look at history, then Ohio State, Nebraska and Michigan are a practically a wash as far as tradition and prestige goes. The only thing you're right about is there are major disadvantages to recruiting in Nebraska. I certainly don't see it as a "huge difference", especially with where Ohio State was pre-Tressel. Bill Callahan (for all his shittiness) proved that you can recruit talent to Nebraska. I don't think Florida has it as easy as you think it does, either. It's fertile recruiting ground for sure, but they have a lot of competition. Nebraska has deep pockets and fan support that can match any of the major programs out there.

There is no reason to think Nebraska should not be competing for the B1G championship almost every year. They should not be struggling to beat Minnesota and Iowa and they should not be getting obliterated by Wisconsin every fucking year. I'm not really worried about what Michigan fans think...most of the national media saw this coming a mile away after the Wisconsin loss.

pavel

likes elk steak likes
Utopia Moderator
You get blown out because at this point and for the next 10 years Nebraska is just another shitty Midwestern program no one wants to play for.

The only way back is cheating or paying players. The Baylor model

bruin

Let's be honest. Pelini also got fired for being a dick. Basically daring the Nebraska administration last year v Iowa to fire him. Poor performances are going to happen, but shouldn't happen as much as it did during his tenure. Echoing what the Huskers guys are saying giving up 70+ in a B1G title game+RB rushing for 400 yards in 3 quarters and plenty others. Didn't even bring up McNeese State this year which should have been another embarrassing loss, if it wasn't for Abdullah going Tecmo Bowl.

It came down to 60% on field performance and 40% acting like a ass hat. AD finally grew tired of it.

Also no reason Nebraska can't recruit California. Shit, OU comes in here every year and nabs 5* recruits to fucking Norman, Oklahoma.

MtneerManiac

Burning Couches
there was a story posted on the main board about pelini finding out the irl information of a fan who was being a dick on the nebraska rivals site, and then offering to meet the guy in person at the teams hotel for the texas game in 2010, only to be there with his brother and his trooper to threaten and curse the guy out :laughing:

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
You get blown out because at this point and for the next 10 years Nebraska is just another shitty Midwestern program no one wants to play for.

You think our problem is that we don't have talent? Nebraska is not hurting for talent. We aren't Alabama or Ohio State and we never will be, but we have no difficulty getting very good football players into this program. The difference has to be made up with coaching, which is where we have failed for about 15 years now. This was the most talented Nebraska team Bo had in his seven years, arguably the most talented Nebraska team Nebraska has put on the field since 2001, and he wasted it.

The funny thing is, Bo actually failed to tap the few recruiting resources Nebraska has at its disposal, most notably some VERY good local JUCO programs and historic HS pipelines in both Florida and Texas. The next coach will have zero difficulty bringing talented football players in.

pavel

likes elk steak likes
Utopia Moderator
We'll see.

Most neutrals would say you were more competitive with Pelini than you've been in 20 years, and now he's not good enough for the fans' comically over-inflated expectations.

Middle-of-the-road in the most mediocre power conference in the country...

follow-your-dreams.gif

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
We'll see.

Most neutrals would say you were more competitive with Pelini than you've been in 20 years, and now he's not good enough for the fans' comically over-inflated expectations.

Middle-of-the-road in the most mediocre power conference in the country...

follow-your-dreams.gif

Ask most "neutrals" what they know about Nebraska football and you'll hear one or more of the following:

1) Getting blown out in big games
2) Head coach screaming at players, other coaches, refs, fans
3) The fake head coach's twitter account and his fake cat

And the sad part about that, ask most RECRUITS about what they know about Nebraska football and you'll get the same 3 answers. Bo is a great football coach, but he doesn't give Nebraska its best shot at winning. He did many good things, someone else will take it the next step.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
A Big Ten analyst tweeted the following:

Keep in mind he's a wrestling analyst and no other credible sources have confirmed but Jesus if Michigan keeps Hoke after all this...

DHawkeye

only mostly dead
Interesting tidbit- Kirk Ferentz is due a $4,000,000 longevity payment on Jan. 1st. I think if hey pull the trigger before that clause comes due, they end up saving some money.

@DHawkeye

Won't happen unless Barta gets the boot as well. He basically stuck his head through the noose with Ferentz when he gave him that ridiculous contract. Firing Ferentz would essentially be admitting that he's terrible at his job (which he absolutely is). And after all the shit that's gone down with the ladies' field hockey thing, he's already in enough hot water as it is.

I just don't know of anybody in a position of power at the university who would be willing to dump an AD and the head coach of your chief moneymaking program. I think they U of I has made it pretty evident that "change" is a dirty word around these parts.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
Won't happen unless Barta gets the boot as well. He basically stuck his head through the noose with Ferentz when he gave him that ridiculous contract. Firing Ferentz would essentially be admitting that he's terrible at his job (which he absolutely is). And after all the shit that's gone down with the ladies' field hockey thing, he's already in enough hot water as it is.

I just don't know of anybody in a position of power at the university who would be willing to dump an AD and the head coach of your chief moneymaking program. I think they U of I has made it pretty evident that "change" is a dirty word around these parts.

Maybe an embarrassing bowl loss would help move things along. It was a very pitch forks and torches mood in the commuter lot Friday after they blew yhat lead. Kirk has absolutely lost the fan base.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Wouldnt surprise me if Hoke is back. I mean why hasnt he been fired yet?

The only thing I would wonder is if they are really wanting Harbaugh and thus have to wait until February to hire him. That's the only reason I can think of. Otherwise, how do you not fire him immediately after the Ohio State game and get the ball rolling for someone else?

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
Also no reason Nebraska can't recruit California. Shit, OU comes in here every year and nabs 5* recruits to fucking Norman, Oklahoma.

although Norman is basically part of a medium-sized metro area in OKC so it's slightly different than getting CA kids to go to a corn field in the middle of nowhere