• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

World Cup - Round of 16 Thread

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
The Maginot line worked exactly as designed. They just should have extended it along the border with Belgium.

Maginot_Line_ln-en.PNG

ZeekLTK

Thats crazy, we would be goong to pks if Algeria didnt fuck up the ozil goal

Nah, I don't think Algeria scores that last goal in a 1-0 game. He only slipped through unmarked because Germany got careless being up 2-0 with the game almost over.

Renegade

Charge on!
I think France's wingers are going to eat up that German back line. I see this ending more like WW1 than WW2 for the French.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
Höwedes is much better in the center, but he's playing at fullback right now. I'd like to see him and Hummels in the middle with Lahm and Groβkreutz on the outside. Maybe bringing Jansen or Schmelzer would have been a good idea, the squad seems short on full backs.

NML

Doubt Jozy starts. I'd say Dempsey up top, Bedoya and Zusi on the wings for their hard work work defensively where Belgium is really strong, same three in the middle, Beasley, Besler, Johnson, an Howard are locks.

Only real question to me is other CB. Lukaku is a big mofo, so do you go Gonzo? Cameron isn't exactly small himself.

I think Gonzo starts, but makes a mistake that costs us a goal. We already got our one good performance out of him.

Down 1-0, we throw on AJ at half time and realize that Belgiums defense isn't that good, and keep the pressure up all half, winning 2-1.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
I'm no soccer genius, but don't you have to start Altidore if you plan to play him? If you sub him in at the end, and then he hurts it again, you have to finish the game with 10 guys.

jdlikewhoa

I'm no soccer genius, but don't you have to start Altidore if you plan to play him? If you sub him in at the end, and then he hurts it again, you have to finish the game with 10 guys.

You could sub for him. You just can't sub back in the player he replaced.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I'm excited that you guys finally get to watch an athletic striker. Every time Lukaku dirty-dog-dicks one of our defenders en route to another goal, look at the silver lining and remember that it often takes embarrassment to change a culture. Furthermore, just remember that in 2038 we'll have Leroy, who is a bigger/faster version of Lukaku.

Belgium over US 4-1 with a Lukaku hat trick. Bradley plays possum one game too long and our world cup dreams end with an athlete destroying us while our great technical player was a huge let down for the whole world cup, while our other great "technical player" kicks every corner out of bounds. This will spawn a reckoning that will result in the ultimate 2038 word cup victory.

Wuf

Desensitized and Willing
"My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low-grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a 15-year-old French prostitute named Chloé with webbed feet. My father would womanize; he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes, he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament ... My childhood was typical: summers in Rangoon ... luge lessons ... In the spring, we'd make meat helmets ... When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds — pretty standard, really. At the age of 12, I received my first scribe. At the age of 14, a Zoroastrian named Vilmer ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum — it's breathtaking ... I suggest you try it."

Reactions: NML

Bucksin04

What's the rationale behind only 3 subs per game? Is it just a timing thing because games would take forever if we had to wait a couple of minutes for the sub to take place 15 times a game?

Milo

What's the rationale behind only 3 subs per game? Is it just a timing thing because games would take forever if we had to wait a couple of minutes for the sub to take place 15 times a game?

Idea is to finish with the team you start with. Think 3 is a happy medium between potential injuries/strategic adjustments without overhauling their team mid-game(i.e. sub 6 defenders on at the end of a game).

Before the mid-60s, there were no in-game substitutes. It was originally introduced to replace an injured player. Expanded to three which is what FIFA dictates for official matches. Interestingly enough, you may see a variety of bench sizes depending on the competition. In the World Cup the entire reserve roster is available. Ingerland used to have a 5 bench limit, expanded to 7 pretty recently(which is now the norm in major countries).

College soccer in the U.S. has unlimited subs.

Last edited:

WingedHelmet

I'm excited that you guys finally get to watch an athletic striker. Every time Lukaku dirty-dog-dicks one of our defenders en route to another goal, look at the silver lining and remember that it often takes embarrassment to change a culture. Furthermore, just remember that in 2038 we'll have Leroy, who is a bigger/faster version of Lukaku.

Belgium over US 4-1 with a Lukaku hat trick. Bradley plays possum one game too long and our world cup dreams end with an athlete destroying us while our great technical player was a huge let down for the whole world cup, while our other great "technical player" kicks every corner out of bounds. This will spawn a reckoning that will result in the ultimate 2038 word cup victory.

This ain't FIFA bruh. Lukaku's been terrible this entire World Cup. It's more likely that he doesn't start than scores three goals.