• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

World Cup - Round of 16 Thread

Renegade

Charge on!
Matrix for US games going forward:

Goal_Differential.png

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
My revised bracket:

Brazil over Chile a.e.t
Colombia over Uruguay
Mexico over Netherlands a.e.t
Costa Rica
France over Nigeria
Germany over Algeria
Argentina over Switzerland a.e.t
USA over Belgium a.e.t

Brazil over Colombia
Mexico over Costa Rica
France over Germany
Argentina over USA

Brazil over France
Argentina over Mexico a.e.t

Brazil over Argentina
France over Mexico 3rd place

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
Fivethirtyeight has us at 43% to beat Belgium. That seems about right to me.

Statistically, Belgium got worse in each of their 3 games. Of course, possession, shots, etc. don't always tell the story, and today, they made wholesale changes to the starting XI, so it's not the same team we'll see. But bottom line, I think most of us would agree that Belgium didn't look as impressive as we would've expected (despite being 1 of only 4 teams to collect all 9 points). They didn't exactly blow the doors off their opponents, and it was one of the "easiest" groups.

I have no idea what Jozy's status is, but obviously it'd be helpful to have him back. Not counting on that, though. Assuming he's out, I think JK will go with mostly the same setup we've seen so far. We just need to figure out how to get a few more quality looks. Bradley getting back to normal would be a good start. I know he's out of position, and that does make a difference. But it shouldn't wreck his first touch.

If Klinsmann wants to shake something up with Zusi or Bedoya, I'm okay with that too. Though, I'm not sure what the change would/should be. I don't think Teflon should start; he's more valuable as a speed sub in the 2nd half.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
England and Iran have the same points

Renegade

Charge on!
Statistically, Belgium got worse in each of their 3 games. Of course, possession, shots, etc. don't always tell the story, and today, they made wholesale changes to the starting XI, so it's not the same team we'll see. But bottom line, I think most of us would agree that Belgium didn't look as impressive as we would've expected (despite being 1 of only 4 teams to collect all 9 points). They didn't exactly blow the doors off their opponents, and it was one of the "easiest" groups.

I have no idea what Jozy's status is, but obviously it'd be helpful to have him back. Not counting on that, though. Assuming he's out, I think JK will go with mostly the same setup we've seen so far. We just need to figure out how to get a few more quality looks. Bradley getting back to normal would be a good start. I know he's out of position, and that does make a difference. But it shouldn't wreck his first touch.

If Klinsmann wants to shake something up with Zusi or Bedoya, I'm okay with that too. Though, I'm not sure what the change would/should be. I don't think Teflon should start; he's more valuable as a speed sub in the 2nd half.

I vote for Mix to come in at 60 for Becks or Bradley (if he's still playing like shit).

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
CudHBvJ.jpg

Interesting to see thus far. I guess the Manaus effect in terms of actual games played there isn't hurting the offense. Dat Natal though, glad that stadium is out of the cup. US and Ghana scored 3 of those 5 goals, lol.

This round's locations:
BRA-CHI Belo Horizonte
COL-URU Rio
NED-MEX Fortaleza
CRC Recife
FRA-NGA Brasilia
GER-ARG Porto Alegre
ARG-SUI Sao Paolo
USA-BEL Salvador

I luh that we're playing in Salvador, let's get that 5-3 victory

Orangebird

Premier League Champs
How would y'all rank the teams that advanced based on what you saw in the group stage?

1. Colombia
2. France
3. Holland
4. Costa Rica
5. Chile
6. Mexico
7. Germany
8. USA
9. Brazil
10. Argentina
11. Uruguay
12. Greece
13. Switzerland
14. Nigeria
15. Belgium

Never saw a full game for Algeria so I honestly don't know where to put them.

Wolfman21

How would y'all rank the teams that advanced based on what you saw in the group stage?

1. Colombia
2. France
3. Holland
4. Costa Rica
5. Chile
6. Mexico
7. Germany
8. USA
9. Brazil
10. Argentina
11. Uruguay
12. Greece
13. Switzerland
14. Nigeria
15. Belgium

dafuq? Belgium was the only team that beat everyone in their group and you have them last?

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni

1. Colombia
2. France
3. Holland
4. Costa Rica
5. Chile
6. Mexico
7. Germany
8. USA
9. Brazil
10. Argentina
11. Uruguay
12. Greece
13. Switzerland
14. Nigeria
15. Belgium

So, Holland plays in a much more difficult group than either Columbia or France, has more points than France, and the same goal differential as Columbia, yet they are number 3? Without Van Persie in the 3rd match?

-YTC

Renegade

Charge on!
Based on group stage play:

1. Netherlands
2. France
3. Colombia
4. Costa Rica
5. Argentina
6. Chile
7. Belgium
8. Germany
9. Brazil
10. Mexico
11. USA
12. Algeria
13. Uruguay
14. Greece
15. Switzerland
16. Nigeria

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
We already have, 5 minutes of that is at the end of the Portugal game where they turned into Italy

Renegade

Charge on!
I mean, does that include Dempsey? Dempsey got smacked again yesterday on his know and went down for a bit. Don't know that I really blame him.