• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Wendell Gee's Moscow Mules

osick87

Community Liaison
Awww Bottom up means I'm one of the last ones.

842416975.gif

osick87

Community Liaison
It doesn't matter. You do you. I'm happy to watch them in whatever order you want to do them in.

They also should be must watch viewing for @Reel

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
This will probably teach me a few things about the other teams too. I try to do something similar each year to get to know the trade targets, but watching these is much better

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
"What would Wendell do?"

Here I tell Reel what I think about the 80 players on his 40 man roster.

(Edit - I was listening to this as I uploaded it and I think I came across as a didactic jerk. No troll intended. Just got into it so much that I was in full GM mode.)

Last edited:

Wolfman21

Neanderthal called up and exported. Pitching staff isn't fully put together yet, so go easy on them Wendell.

osick87

Community Liaison
Blanc's got very good OF Defense ratings. Reel could have a good OF this year.

osick87

Community Liaison
You might as well wait on me. I want your intake on some of the FA moves I may make.

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
Took a little sidetrip on the road through the WBL. Because I discovered the page with Moscow's historical draft picks. I thought I'd just open mic my reactions as I studied my draft history.

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
And part 2. I'm not impressed with the quality of Moscow's draft classes, but it was fun to tour the list.

A couple of surprises were discovering that the ace of my rotation was a 4th round pick we signed for $240,000, and that we released a catcher with fine potential to make it as a WBL starter.

osick87

Community Liaison
Man your team drafts Catchers. I think a lot of those guys were prematurely called up when you let the AI take control.

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
Working weekend for me. I may not get to the league previews for days, perhaps not this week even. But I reviewed my take on the trades this week in the WBL.

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
Moscow sends
SS Juan Padilla (WBL)
Moscow's 2nd round pick 2044

Helsingborg sends
C Pei Wong (AA)
P Carlitos Bernardino (WBL)
P Leonardo Morales (WBL)
Helga's 1st round pick 2044
Helga's 1st round pick 2045

Helga came at me out of the blue sky with interest in Juan Padilla. My first response was that he was untouchable, the heart and soul, bat and glove of the Mules. But as I looked around the league for "comps" I realized he was unique or very nearly so. An elite bat with an elite glove at second, third, and short. At the same time I'd had an ongoing concern for the age and cost of my rotation and for the quality of catchers in the org. It took eight pages of negotiations but we finally reached an agreement that worked for both of us.

Pei Wong sets up to be my everyday catcher, perhaps getting a callup this season.
Bernardino and Morales figure to go into my rotation either this year or next year. For now they'll work out of the pen as relief.
The picks will help us to restock a depleted farm system. Or used as trade bait. I'm never patient enough to wait for prospects to develop.

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead

Gosh, so many slip-ups. Triple A instead of Double A. Glove and defense instead of bat and defense.

Last edited:

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
The actual negotiations only took like two posts :laughing:

The rest was just shootin shit haha

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Is there not a spot in your rotation for Leo now? I have used him in the pen occasionally and he should be fine there because he has velocity, but he has been a starter most his career.

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
TEAM MEETING

"Wendell. A mob is at our door." Vasiliy was looking down at the snow-covered street below the window. "Man with University of Florida baseball cap is in front. You want me to shoot him, yes?"

"Wasn't he my predecessor in this office?" I couldn't see around Vasiliy.

"Ah yes. Then you wish me to use wooden stake."

"He's probably upset about Padilla. They all are."

"Flamethrower?"

"Vasiliy. It's just baseball, man. They have a right to express their opinion. JP was king in this town. I'll go talk to them."

"Talk, pah. This is not how we do things in Russia."

"Relax pal. Invite them in for vodka and borscht downstairs. Tell them I will be in to discuss the trade with them in a while. Did Leo's and Carlito's flights arrive?"

"Yes. They are now setting up locker. I give them combination." Vasiliy pulled back his coat sleeve to reveal the tattoo on his forearm. 36-24-38. His teeth flashed in a broken smile.

"Uh, yeah. So bring them up to the reception area and we'll address the crowd together. Hell, round up the team and we'll all discuss the trade with the public. Invite the press. Pravda."

Vasiliy's smile faded. "You think this is good idea? They do not look happy."

"We're rock stars, Vasiliy. Gotta talk to our admiring public. Take our lumps when we have to. It makes the good days better."

"Ah, I see. You like the bite in the borscht, yes. The spice of the life. Very well. I will have everyone there in five minutes. Perhaps less."

Vasiliy left the office and I heard his heavy footsteps on the granite stairs. Finally I could see out the window unimpeded.

There was no mob out there. Just a few dozen men with their sons, collars turned up against the wind. Some held baseballs. Some held bats. Almost like autograph day. Back in Key West it was an annual rite as Spring Training opened.

Autograph day. Did we even have one?

I made it downstairs just as the front door opened and Vasiliy's voice boomed out a welcome. "Come in! Enjoy borscht and our good welcome. Soon we have team meeting to discuss trade. We sign everything except check. Little man, who is your favorite player?"

"Dominique!"

"Somebody call my name?" Dominique Gonnet eased into the crowd. A big smile spread across his face as he looked at the kids. "Who wants an autograph?"

Hands shot up.

Moscow, prepare for spring. Prepare for glasnost.

Moscow Mules baseball is back.

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
"What would Wendell do?"

Here I tell Reel what I think about the 80 players on his 40 man roster.

(Edit - I was listening to this as I uploaded it and I think I came across as a didactic jerk. No troll intended. Just got into it so much that I was in full GM mode.)

Gonna watch this later

Thanks osick for the recommendation

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Interested to see how Duarte will do for you. We all know the glove is good so if he hits he'll be a star.

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
Interested to see how Duarte will do for you. We all know the glove is good so if he hits he'll be a star.

As long as he carries his weight, and by that I mean .250 or better, we're good.

I've been wondering lately, however, if my scout Super Mario is on hallucinogenics. Especially after getting an up close look at the pitchers I got in the Helga trade.

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
I just don't want you regretting the move. That's how it sounded.
Every day without Juan Padilla in my infield is a day I regret. :laughing:

Nah man, we good. I'mona fire my scout doe. I got Vasiliy checking his house for drugs right now.

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
...But I hadn't noticed that neither Leo nor Carlito had pitched yet, so I made some changes to get them some innings. Glad you pointed that out.

Leo got bypassed in the rotation because I had "start max rested" instead of "strict rotation," which I hadn't accounted for. Carlito was down in long relief. Moved him up the line.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
It's tough to get everyone innings in ST. I don't put guys I want to see pitch in LR roles.

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
2043 Lineups

STlineups_zpsf7d7642f.png

And now on Imgur:
ZJXzPhX.png

Got me some ridiculous PnP flexibility on the mound and in the pen this year. We're set up for a 6 man rotation of Mason, Marrero, Sasaki, Heida, Ku, and Morales. I'll plug-n-play other guys into the rotation as needed. Bullpen should be fine. The AI likes Tripod to close out games, so I'll see how he does with that.

Backstop is Eihfeld until Zippo or Pei-Wei is ready for the call.

We're set in the outfield with Gonnet, Custance, Robles, and Nylen, and the kid Gallegos waiting for the call.

Padilla trade hurt us in the infield. We'll try Yaziki, Dehmer, Duarte and Lt. Danh and see who sticks where. 1B will be Valencia and whoever else wants to play catch. Farm kid Donatello is ready for the call. Basically 1B and DH by committee this year. I'll be messing with the defense until I can get it figured out.

Last edited:

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I heard in one of your videos you calling your Triple A team Kazakhstan (and Little Rock, good times), are you planning on moving them around?

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
I hadn't seen much of our owner Karoly bin Aliyy in the past few months. Of course lately I had been with the team in spring training down in the Mediterranean. One of the great perqs of life in the WBL: we got to tour the old Mediterranean Premiere League parks in the spring. That stadium built on Roman ruins in Barcelona was phenomenal.

But at the close of spring training Mr. bin Aliyy sent his personal Hondajet to take me back to Moscow. We met at Cafe Pushkin.

The owner of the Moscow Baseball Club watched me carefully as he methodically worked his way through the venison, talking about his latest trip to Cairo. Finally he put his fork down.

"So. What is the problem, Wendell? Moscow weather is not so pleasant?"

"Mr. bin Aliyy--"

"Karoly. Please. Not now." He waved off the waiter who had come to bring us each another unfiltered vodka.

"Karoly, it is our scout, Mauro Ortiz."

"You do not trust his data. His recommendations." Karoly went back to his venison. He chewed very slowly, observing the people around him.

"I can't even have a conversation with him." I looked around for the waiter. "I never see him, he's never around, and I just get these strange reports from him by email. He won't even talk to me on the phone."

"That is because he is computer."

I put down my fork and looked for the waiter again. He was nowhere in sight. A shot of vodka would have helped to calm the hair rising up on the back of my neck.

Karoly leaned forward. "A computer is superior to human. I learn this from thirty years in the business."

"I want Howard."

"Explain."

"I want Howard. He was my scout down at Key West."

"I do not know this Howard."

"Well look him up, goddammit. Super Mario 9000 is sending us straight down the standings. Do you want to be mayor of this town or not?"

A few people looked our way. At a small gesture from Karoly, the waiter appeared immediately with the vodka.

Karoly raised his glass. A toast. To my health? That would be ominous.

"Na pososhok!" he said, and we clinked glasses. "To your journey."

I boarded the flight to Amsterdam that evening. The pleasantries were over. It was time for work.

Last edited:

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Damn I didn't even think of Spring Training. Now I gotta think of where my Metaphorical Spring Training should be :laughing:

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
One of the great perqs of life in the WBL: we got to tour the old Mediterranean Premiere League parks in the spring. That stadium built on Roman ruins in Barcelona was phenomenal.
Damn I didn't even think of Spring Training. Now I gotta think of where my Metaphorical Spring Training should be :laughing:

I envision it that all the WBL teams gather in the Med and play round robin at the various parks to build up the southern European audience base. Also cruise ships, babes, and ya know.

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
The KLM flight to Amsterdam was not crowded so I had room to stretch out with Super Mario's latest data and wonder what Howard would do. I needed a second set of eyeballs looking at these numbers.

The Mules had a decent spring. Amsterdam had a better one. The Tulips had shrewdly traded their way to the top and didn't seem ready to leave it.

I was immersed in stats and percentages when my phone rang. Khachaturian's Toccata. The boss ringtone.

"So. Wendell. I have found your Howard. But it is not pleasant I am afraid. I will send it to you now."

I opened the file and forgot about baseball.