• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Week 12 Thread Presented By Mario Cristobal

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
#22 Temple vs. #21 Memphis ESPN 12 PM

Okay, I guess. Better than ACC footbaw

#10 Utah vs. #19 UCLA FOX 2:30 PM

Why is this a day game?

Oregon vs. SC ESPN 2:30 PM

Why is this at the same time?

#25 Wiscy vs. #18 Northwestern BTN 2:30 PM

Why is this on the B1G Network?

#3 OSU vs. #13 Sparty ABC 2:30 PM

Who will try harder to lose?

#8 Okie Lite vs. #6 Baylor FOX 6:30 PM

Hopefully Okie Lite rolls. Fuck Baylor

#12 Oklahoma vs. #15 TCU ABC 7 PM

I have no strong feelings one way or the other

Wazzu vs. Lolorado ESPN2 9:45 PM

FALK continues his Heisman campaign @Brick

Will prolly lose by 50 because Wazzu

bjc

Butt Naked Wonda
Fuck Baylor and that dirty, moobs having piece of shit Briles... Even if he's an offensive genius.

Okie State probably blows them out. I think OSU's defense holds them to <30, Stidham might not even play or will played injured, and regardless the dude just isn't the QB Baylor needs to win big games.

In 2013, OSU had no chance to beat Baylor with their paper tiger team. The final score of that one was 49-17. Probably not as dominant of a game as we seem to come out of the gate a little slow, but defensive coordinator Glenn Spencer's second half adjustments are money, and we likely have little trouble putting this game away. I'll go 51 - 20 Cowboys.

Hope TCU can beat OU, that way we win the conference by default. Otherwise, OU beats TCU and sets up one hell of a bedlam game.

bruin

Yeah, but I'd be good with a 4 PST kick on ESPN. Better than fucking Mississippi State-Arky

That's the ESPN on SEC slot.

Like the reason the time for the Southern Cal game hasn't been announced yet. The Pac-12 took a 6 day window on that game, along with Stanford-Notre Dame.

UCLA/USC will either be at 12:30 ABC/ESPN/ESPN2, 4:30 on FOX, or 5:00 on ABC.

bruin

surprised the Bruins opened up as 2 point favorites. Now the line is at Utah -2.5. Sounds right.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
boykin and doctson questionable. the way OU is playing right now, TCU is going to need both of those guys at full strenf.

Wooly

Fuck Baylor and that dirty, moobs having piece of shit Briles... Even if he's an offensive genius.

Okie State probably blows them out. I think OSU's defense holds them to <30, Stidham might not even play or will played injured, and regardless the dude just isn't the QB Baylor needs to win big games.

In 2013, OSU had no chance to beat Baylor with their paper tiger team. The final score of that one was 49-17. Probably not as dominant of a game as we seem to come out of the gate a little slow, but defensive coordinator Glenn Spencer's second half adjustments are money, and we likely have little trouble putting this game away. I'll go 51 - 20 Cowboys.

Hope TCU can beat OU, that way we win the conference by default. Otherwise, OU beats TCU and sets up one hell of a bedlam game.

Finally, someone on Utopia predicting their team to beat another decent team by a large margin. All the self depreciation was getting old.

jtothero

Who's ready for some MACtion?

Toledo at Bowling Green on ESPN2 at 6

Confession: My GF's family is from Toledo and her parents are Rockets season ticket holders. Sometimes when we watch Toledo sporting events, I put on baby blue adult footed pajamas and dance around like I'm UT's secondary mascot. I call myself the "Toledo Baby". I actually got on the scoreboard-cam at a UT women's basketball game once. Top 5 moment right there.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Savage Arena is actually a pretty damn fun basketball venue, it's just too bad the Toledo teams have kinda sucked as of late.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
Doctson is officially out for TCU's last two games. Boykin might play on Saturday, but if he does, he won't be 100%. Hopefully OU doesn't butter the corn cob.

Soonerfan09

OU needs at least Boykin to play, and definitely would have liked to had Doctson play.
I hate David Pollack's stupid face, but I do agree with his point that two of OU's three (possible) biggest wins could be against backup QBs. He needs to STFU though. Herbie and Klatt speaking the truth.

bjc

Butt Naked Wonda
Says the guy who will hide his diploma because he loathes his alma mater.
lol, absolutely not. I love the university, love the people I've met, and love my program but fuck OU athletics (except basketball, Buddy Hield and Lonnie Kruger are awesome people).

Bdub

Devonte Booker is out for the rest of the season with a partially torn meniscus.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
lol, absolutely not. I love the university, love the people I've met, and love my program but fuck OU athletics (except basketball, Buddy Hield and Lonnie Kruger are awesome people).

I don't understand this.

@Travis7401 let's say undefeated OSU is playing undefeated CSU for the title. Who are you pulling for?

This will likely never happen thanks to CU's absolutely impotent football program, but I'd root for the Irish to 40-lb box the Buffs no matter the importance of the game. I don't loathe my alma mater, but I don't want them beating the Irish.

bjc

Butt Naked Wonda
I don't understand this.

@Travis7401 let's say undefeated OSU is playing undefeated CSU for the title. Who are you pulling for?
I have more of an attachment to OSU because I grew up watching them, namely football. It's kind of why I don't really give a shit about OSU bball program - I never really watched them growing up - but that's more because Travis fucking Ford is awful. OU bball can be pretty fun.

Also as much shit as I post about bedlam I don't really get into it that much. I wear OU and OSU shit, I have plenty of friends here and genuinely love the school as I did OSU when I went there my freshman year. But that isn't going to undo the years I spent watching Pokes gon Poke. Lol, fuck the last time I saw them Pokes gon Poke live was 2013 in BPS. Fuck :vomit:

Carolina Blue

Crazy to think about how different the UNC-VT game this weekend would look had Beamer ended up at UNC.

The decision that changed the course of UNC football
  • Frank Beamer accepted the UNC head coaching job, then changed his mind
  • Beamer could easily be on the opposite sideline when teams play on Saturday
  • Virginia Tech will honor Beamer, who is coaching his final home game

CHAPEL HILL, NC - Imagine, for a moment, if Frank Beamer had made the move. If he'd decided to leave Virginia Tech in November, 2000, to become the head coach at North Carolina.
He almost did, and so it's conceivable that Beamer could have been on the opposite sideline on Saturday when the Tar Heels and Hokies play in Blacksburg, Va. Virginia Tech on Saturday will be celebrating Beamer, who in his 29th season will be coaching in his final home game.

But his final home game at Virginia Tech almost came 15 years ago. It almost came after he almost decided to leave the Virginia mountains for the gentle-rolling hills of central North Carolina.

Almost.

Gunter Brewer, the UNC wide receivers coach, remembers well those fleeting moments, back when it looked certain that Beamer would leave Virginia Tech to become the head coach at UNC.
Back then, in November 2000, Brewer had just completed his first season as an assistant coach with the Tar Heels. It had been a mediocre season, UNC had finished 6-5 and athletic director Dick Baddour had decided to fire Carl Torbush after the end of his third season.

“That was a tough time for our staff (of assistants),” Brewer said earlier this week, “because we were trying to figure out who was going to be the next guy.”

For a little while it seemed assured that “the next guy” would be Beamer, who after his humble beginnings at Virginia Tech had built the Hokies into a national powerhouse. Beamer quickly emerged as the favorite to become UNC's head coach.

“The rumor was that he flew here, and his agent, and all the things and accepted the deal and was coming back, was going to bring his staff back, so everybody was out,” Brewer said. “And then all of a sudden we hear he's not (coming).”

It was more than a rumor. It was reality. By now the story is familiar.

Beamer and his wife came to Chapel Hill on a Sunday in late November, 2000, and Beamer agreed to a deal to become the Tar Heels' next head coach. Baddour wanted him to stay the night and have a press conference announcing the news the next day.

Beamer, though, decided to go back to Virginia Tech to tell his team he was leaving. And when he went back to Blacksburg, Beamer changed his mind and decided to stay.

Few things reflect how close Beamer was to becoming UNC's coach than the news accounts of the time, including ones in The News & Observer. Here are the first few paragraphs of The N&O's Nov. 27, 2000, story about Beamer and UNC:
“North Carolina athletic director Dick Baddour and Virginia Tech football coach Frank Beamer huddled for two hours early Sunday evening, a meeting that could lead to Beamer's being named football coach at UNC as early as today.

Beamer and Baddour entered Baddour's office at the Smith Center in Chapel Hill at about 5:30 Sunday afternoon and emerged just before 7:30, with Beamer smiling.
'Very nice place,' Beamer said quickly. 'Very nice place.'”

And here's what The N&O published the next day, on Nov. 28, 2000:
“Virginia Tech football caoch Frank Beamer turned down the University of North Carolina on Monday, marking the second time in five months the Tar Heels pursued a high-profile coach only to be forced to turn elsewhere.

'It's very flattering that they were interested in me,' Beamer said at an afternoon news conference on Virginia Tech's campus. 'But what I really want to do is keep this thing going here. And sometimes, it just takes you a little time to realize what a special thing we have here.'”

Beamer turned down UNC months after Roy Williams, then coaching at Kansas, did the same. Four years later Williams agreed to come back to his alma mater. Beamer's decision to remain at Virginia Tech was final.

Later in that same story is a statement from Baddour, expressing his disappointment but also his confidence that UNC, eventually, would make an “outstanding” hire. That hire, it turned out, was John Bunting, whom Baddour fired after five seasons before hiring Butch Davis.

Beamer, meanwhile, managed to keep things rolling at Virginia Tech for most of the next 15 years. Imagine how things could have been different if he hadn't changed his mind and if Beamer had decided to become UNC's head coach.

Would the Tar Heels have become the same kind of program that Virginia Tech was, under Beamer, throughout the 1990s and 2000s? Would UNC still be seeking its first ACC championship since 1980? If Beamer had come to UNC, it's likely that Davis never winds up in Chapel Hill.

And if Davis doesn't come, that raises an entirely different set of questions. Like: Does UNC ever find itself in trouble with the NCAA? Does the school's long-running scheme of phony African studies courses ever come to light?

Beamer's decision to remain in Blacksburg altered the course of two programs for the next 15 years. In their fourth season under coach Larry Fedora, the Tar Heels have finally broken through the eight-win plateau. Now Virginia Tech will be searching for a successor who will be challenged to duplicate Beamer's overall success.

In his book “Let me be Frank,” Beamer describes accepting the UNC job as “one of the biggest mistakes of my life.” The way he handled it, too, rankled many at UNC. Many years have passed now, though.

UNC is on its third head coach – fourth, if you count interim head coach Everett Withers – since it thought it had hired Beamer in 2000. And Virginia Tech is about to say goodbye to the only head coach it has known for nearly three decades.

The circumstances easily could have been different on Saturday, with Beamer standing on the opposite sideline, going back to the place where he'd last coached 15 years ago. It's easy to wonder what might have been.

“No doubt,” said Brewer, who remained at UNC until 2004 and then came back in 2012 after stops at Oklahoma State and Mississippi. “There's a lot of them that way – (a lot) of what-ifs.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/article45511110.html#storylink=cpy

PSUEagle

I'd fuck Kaylee Hartung in the ass so hard her lazy eye would go back in place.

62598727.jpg

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Time for Harvard Football to avoid playing like a bunch of southern-fried ladyboiz for two weeks on the trot and drop the 50-kg box of (g)rape on Yale Saturday. Rush the field, rush the Kop, stop pop set em up shop.

Bart Scott. :thumbsup:

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
6-10" inches of snow overnight and an 11:15 kickoff for Iowa tomorrow. Glad I'm not going to the game, haha. It was 60 degrees and beautiful last weekend.

Renegade

Charge on!
@Renegade deserve to be in bcs conference

0-11 and a monsoon on a Thursday night with a fired coaching staff; doubt anyone else's attendance would have been much to write home about either. What a miserable year; glad that old shit and his shitty staff are gone.