• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Warm Butts and Merry-Go-Rounds - Corches Hot Seat/ Coaching Carousel

R2D2

I just reel e hope Michigan hires Jim Harbaugh, that way the 49ers can hire some fucktard like Brian Kelly and be irrelevant again.

mcnoles

Colorado State's current staff given termination papers.

Dave Baldwin’s chances of being hired as Colorado State’s next coach went out the window Saturday when the former offensive coordinator turned interim head coach told media he and the rest of the CSU staff had been handed termination papers.
“That’s the profession,” Baldwin said. “… You deal with it. Life is never fair, and you deal with it. We’re going to deal with it.”
Baldwin was one of several names in the mix for the Rams head coaching vacancy that was opened when Jim McElwain left for Florida. The termination papers don’t mean Baldwin or any other members of Colorado State’s staff can’t or won’t be hired to stay at Colorado State.
According to the Fort Collins Coloradoan, Colorado State could announce a hire as early as Monday. Several major assistants have been interviewed, including offensive coordinators Scott Frost of Oregon and Mike Bobo of Georgia and defensive coordinators Vance Bedford of Texas and Pat Narduzzi of Michigan State.
Baldwin did himself no favors Saturday by being outcoached in a 45-10 loss to Utah in the Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl. Still, his work as offensive coordinator made the Rams one of the most offensively prolific teams in the country this season and helped them to a 10-win campaign.
As for the players, they’re trying to stay away from the coaching rumor mill and are just anxious to learn whom they’re playing for next.
“That’s nothing for us to worry about,” receiver Rashard Higgins told the Coloradoan. “We’ll see whoever comes in. I’m pretty sure he’ll do a great job, because he’s got guys like me on the team.”

Colorado State

Brick

programs should be tripping over hisselfs trying to get baldwin as OC. if he doesn't go to oregon state i bet now defunct UAB hires him as OC for their intramural team, since that seems like his luck.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
It sounds like both Frost and Narduzzi declined Colorado State's offer and Bobo was option number 3. That's quite the drop off. Bobo has been a coordinator for 8 years and spent 20 of 21 years in college athletics at Georgia, no one came calling for a reason. No one gets less out of more than Mike Bobo. The OC Colorado State just fired is better at his job than Mike Bobo is. Guess they don't have to worry about this one leaving early.

I get Narduzzi saying no, but I'm not really sure why Scott Frost would say no to Colorado State. What better situation to enter. A solid program that had a successful season, one of the coolest college towns in the country and he'd get 4-5 times his salary. Either Oregon offered him a huge raise or he's content just coaching at UO until the perfect gig comes calling.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
No surprise about Mendenhall applying for the Wisconsin job from this BYU fan. I got the feeling as the year went on that he was thinking of ending it. I think he felt the time had come to hand BYU off to someone else. And for how much he liked Gary Anderson, and think he felt he could pick up where he left off.

mcnoles

Look like Doug Nussmeier is the new OC for Florida.

Frmer Michigan and Alabama offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier will be the new offensive coordinator at Florida, according to SI's Thayer Evans. He becomes a critical offensive piece of new coach Jim McElwain's staff as the Gators try to move out of the dismal Will Muschamp era of offense.
Nussmeier was the offensive coordinator at Alabama after McElwain left to take the head coaching job at Colorado State. Before that, he was the offensive coordinator at Fresno State and Washington. He had success while at Alabama, but he's coming off a rough year at Michigan in which the Wolverines' offense could never get going behind quarterback Devin Gardner. In his one year in Ann Arbor, Nussmeier's offense ranked 72nd nationally in the F/+ ratings, and he was not retained after the Wolverines fired head coach Brady Hoke.
Nussmeier's offenses were significantly better at Alabama, but coach Nick Saban told AL.com that he thought previous coordinators (including Nussmeier) were too conservative and "begged" them to open it up more:
"I've always asked for this. Why don't we throw the ball on this look instead of running this play where we can't block everybody? Which is what we do now."​

Doug Nussmeier

bruin

"I've always asked for this. Why don't we throw the ball on this look instead of running this play where we can't block everybody? Which is what we do now."

wat.

bruin

Gary Andersen is quietly putting together a solid staff. Just hired Kalani Sitake as his DC from Utah.

Bdub

Either way it's Whittinghams defense, he taught it to Gary Anderson and then to Sitake. I see Utah going after Clune and Powell at Hawaii. Got to keep that poly pipeline.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Gary Andersen is doing a hell of a job so far at Oregon State and it sounds like OSU is committed to improving the program as a whole. We'll see if it translates to success on the field though. I wouldn't wish the Oregon State job on anyone.

Bdub

Well Utah now has a hated rival in the PAC 12. Anderson has taken coaches from us twice now.

PSUEagle

Pitt looks like they will be hiring Pat Narduzzi.

Will be interesting to see how he does, but on the surface it's a great fit, IMO.

Bdub

Every coach Anderson has hired so far used to be a coach at Utah. Oregon State going to be Utah Jr.

Bdub

Dave Christensen is going to Texas A&M. Are they tired of having a good offense or something. Dude is an awful OC.

Bdub

Yeah I think Whittingham is about to be fired. People keep saying Utah boosters are working on getting the money to buy out Mullen. Highly unlikely but would be awesome if it happened.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
I try and make a point of not getting involved in anything Utah. I know I get sought out whenever anything BYU happens, even if it doesn't involve Utah. But I'd be shocked if Whittingham got fired. First, I haven't heard anything about it (in all fairness, I don't seek out Utah info because I really don't care about them but I have die-hards in my family). Second, why would you get rid of a coach that has won a BCS game against a good opponent and has (other than QB recruiting) shown improvement? Changing the OC all the time hasn't helped him, but he's a good coach that you don't have to worry about running to another school as much (as you probably would with Mullen). I think that's just dumb fans talking on a fansite, IMO. Nothing in football should surprise me, but Utah firing Whittingham would be dumb. It's way too early to know if he's peaked or not (plus there's evidence he can take you pretty far).

Last edited:

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Wanting Whittingham fired after this season would be hilariously dumb but then again this is apparently the same fanbase that thinks Christensen is a bad OC

Bdub

Whitt is a great coach, his management of his assistants is the issue. 7 OC in the last 8 years is unacceptable. Having your DC and OC leave for a lesser job after a successful season indicates a serious problem in my mind. That combined with his inability to ever recruit a good QB causes issues. I don't think anyone really wants him fired but we would gladly take someone like Mullen instead.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
They do need someone to stick around as OC. Christensen leaving was a weird move, doe. Unless Spavital is leaving and Christensen is going to be A&M's OC

Bdub

They do need someone to stick around as OC. Christensen leaving was a weird move, doe. Unless Spavital is leaving and Christensen is going to be A&M's OC
I don't know what you see in him as an OC. He has been awful at Utah.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
I don't know what you see in him as an OC. He has been awful at Utah.

Offenses at Missouri his last three years as OC: 11th, 3rd, 5th

Utah jumped up 18 spots in total offense this year and increased their PPG. Devontae Booker ran for 1500+ yards. He turned Travis Wilson into a half competent QB. I don't know what you expect from Utah's offense, but they weren't going to score 40 points a game with the personnel they have even if Chip Kelly was calling plays.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Whitt is a great coach, his management of his assistants is the issue. 7 OC in the last 8 years is unacceptable. Having your DC and OC leave for a lesser job after a successful season indicates a serious problem in my mind. That combined with his inability to ever recruit a good QB causes issues. I don't think anyone really wants him fired but we would gladly take someone like Mullen instead.

Yeah Utah is an odd situation. They could do so much better, but they could also do far worse. It was weird to see that Whittingham had put his name in the running for Wisconsin. I always figured he'd never leave Utah but if he is potentially looking for another job and he is routinely having assistants leave, there is obviously something going on inside of that program.

Bdub

It appears Whitt applied at Michigan as well. Seems like he wants out, we have coordinators taking worse jobs to get out of town. Seems like something bad is going on internally. They had a great bounce back year. Would be a shame if that momentum was wasted.