• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

USA National Soccer (M & W) Thread

NML

Four days until the 30 man is released!! Here's my guess for 30 man, with 23 man guess as well - 23 man in bold.

GOALKEEPERS: Tim Howard, Brad Guzan, Nick Rimando

- This is set

DEFENSE: Matt Besler, Geoff Cameron, Fabian Johnson, Omar Gonzalez, DeMarcus Beasley, Clarence Goodson, Michael Parkhurst, DeAndre Yedlin, Tim Ream, Timmy Chandler, John Brooks

- Those last two spots are interesting. I could see either falling out for the other three. Tim Ream just wrapped up his best ever season, winning Bolton Player of the Year, and is probably our best technical defender. If we can take the game to someone, he has the best passing ability. Chandler is finally healthy, and that alone probably will get him an invite to camp. Unfortunately, those two really haven't been around enough to warrant a spot to Brazil. JAB gets the call as well, but ultimately I don't think he can pass Goodson, and his lack of flexibility probably means he doesn't quite make it either.

Notable misses: Brad Evans (got passed by Yedlin), Michael Orozco (2 caps since 2011, missed last few camps), Gooch (just not himself anymore), Edgar Castillo (simply not good enough internationally)

MIDFIELD: Michael Bradley, Jermaine Jones, Graham Zusi, Landon Donovan, Alejandro Bedoya, Kyle Beckerman, Julian Green, Mix Diskerud, Maurice Edu, Brek Shea

- The first six are locks, or seven if you want to put Dempsey here, although JK does not. Shockingly, to me, it seems like a given that Green is on the plane. Maybe he promised it, I certainly don't know. I would prefer Shea for the spark-off-the-bench sub, as he's shown multiple times that he thrives there for us (see last summer's Gold Cup). With Bradley playing a more attacking role, Mix also gets cut. Edu is brought in, and perhaps he could make it in favor of Parkhurst, but he's not passing Beckerman.

Notable misses: Brad Davis (doesn't provide much outside of his left foot), Luis Gil (would have to pass Mix), Danny Williams (faded late in the season after a long year in the Championship), Benny Feilhaber (JK just isn't a fan), Sacha :emo:

FORWARD: Clint Dempsey, Jozy Altidore, Aron Johannsson, Terrence Boyd, Eddie Johnson, Chris Wondolowski

- This list is pretty much set. I just can't see Wondo making it. The first three are locks, no doubt about it. Boyd is on absolute fire right now, so you've got to bring ur most in-form striker as well. Do we sacrifice the flexibility that GAM provides to bring him? I can't think so. Not to mention, I definitely prefer Eddie and his pace off the bench.

Notable misses: Juan Agudelo (just came on too late, although he is in-form right now), Herculez Gomez (completely fell off the face of the Earth)

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Feel like now is a good time for a link dump.

Gonzo out for 1-2 weeks for a knee injury. If nothing else it'll keep him fresh for the end of the month and beyond.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-galaxy-omar-gonzalez-knee-injury-20140509-story.html

Juan Agudelo has his work permit denied for a second year. Sucks, the FA has its head up its collective asses right now. He'll be a free agent (NYCFC pls)
http://www.soccerbyives.net/2014/05/agudelo-rejected-heading.html

US will play Belgium in a closed-door scrimmage while in Brazil. Probably the best way to prepare for Reus/Ronaldo.
http://www.soccerbyives.net/2014/05/belgium-final-world.html

Finally, WELCOME (Hannover U-15s) CORCH CHERUNDOLO:

Reactions: NML

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Theres also a good whoscored article on mls based us players. Word of warning it says Wondo and Yedlin should be in the team.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer

Renegade

Charge on!
Can someone tell me where the hell DeAndre Yedlin came from? He's come from out of nowhere to be a potential WC roster guy.

SEC SPEEDZ! Certainly the best athlete we'd have in the back. Elite level athlete and he's good on the attack and crossing too. Still developing his overall skills, but if he makes the plane, I think it's because of his athleticism and hoping he can use that to mark top level forwards like Cristiano Ronaldo and give the rest of our defenders some hope of not getting raped. He looked pretty solid against Mexico...shut down their attack down the left-wing.

I'm not sure that he's much of a downgrade from Cameron, whose instincts playing RB have been iffy this year for Stoke.

NML

He just provides something different. Like @Kella said, when we are down 1-0 and not creating anything, he can provide a spark at RB. Geoff Cameron ain't doing this...

Elite speed, pretty good one on one defender (mostly because of his speed), knows when to get forward well. He'd get destroyed going up again a Ronaldo for 90 minutes, but for a spark off the bench, he's a good option. Lacks versatility too. Wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't even make the 30 man.

NML

Caleb Stanko signed a first-team contract with Freiburg. If a couple of their midfielders move on (always possible with Freiburg), he could see some minutes at just 20.

Another one for the Olympics in 2016. Only real thing we are missing from that team is a striker, could use our overage there in bring someone like Boyd in.

NML

Greg Seltzer put out his guess at the 30-man, similar to mine.

Out (from my list): Yedlin, Shea, E Johnson, Wondo
In (from his list): Gooch, Evans, D Williams, Agudelo

It'd be really nuts for Eddie to not make the 30-man, and I'd be pretty shocked if Wondo didn't either. I guess GAM is out of form, but Wondo isn't. Agudelo could easily make the cut, doe.

NML

Yeah, no thanks on Gooch.

Agudelo had 3 goals and 3 assists over like 12 games. Finished his season with a MOTM performance, goal and assist.

After he got his work permit rejected, it looks like he's staying in Holland. Bunch of teams lining up to sign him on a free, best I've seen so far is FC Twente.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
@NML, wondering if you've heard anything on this front. Gigantic news for US Soccer if this is true

Edit: For those unaware:

NML

Interesting.

For me, it wouldn't affect me directly. Our club is not part of the US developmental academy - that's reserved for the elite youth clubs; namely the MLS academies and other top-notch ones throughout the US. So I think the idea behind that is similar to how it is in the rest of the world.

If I remember correctly, I think there's about 60 DA clubs in the US - now for the MLS academies and maybe even NASL/USL, running a free youth club of elite talent will be fine. However, it's the other 20 or so that I'm concerned with. If their best players are playing for free, and their best coaches are working on those teams, how can they afford to keep the club running? Ultimately that cost has to fall on someone, and it's likely going to be an increase in cost for recreational (the kids who just do it for fun, and maybe play high school) and select (the non-elite looking to play at the next level) teams. Or, even worse, a decrease in coaching, training, etc.

So I'm split. Welcoming all players is a great idea, and I'm sure @Travis7401 will be thrilled. This is literally exactly what he wants - give these poor athletes with limited options free boots and kits and watch how they thrive in the sport. Ultimately, this is how you get the Lebron's to play soccer. However, kids who sneak through the cracks will continue to be a problem for US Soccer, especially given this.

If a kid, for whatever reason, doesn't get seen by a DA academy - which is really easy, they are scattered throughout the US and someone from a poor family won't be available to afford the travel even for tryouts - then he's still not getting developed because he still can't afford proper training.

I can't speak for all clubs, but we have a handful of board members who will "sponsor" a player who can't afford it. An interesting story, I was out scouting for our Super Y team this summer, and there's was this kid just dominating hoes on our u11 team. I talked to the coach and he said he didn't play for the club, but that he knew one of the kids and liked to come out and practice, and the coach didn't mind. 20 minutes later, me and the head coach of our team have the board on the phone, and now this kid is part of our U11 Elite team and our U12 Super Y squad. Kid is a phenomenal player, and he'll get the training to possibly develop into a next-level player.

But we aren't a big enough club to directly impact the USMNT - we've only ever produce one player who got a cap at any level. Tony Taylor was a U20 guy and is playing over in Cyprus, currently. So, if other clubs are doing this, then it's a way to save these kids from getting lost. Now, the above kid is going to get seen by the Olympic Development Program (ODP) and could possibly be in consideration for a youth team. To me, that's where we need more work.

All that said, I'm definitely on board with this change. I know of quite a few kids who didn't do DA because of the cost, and that's a shame because they were talented players.

NML

In other USMNT news, the 30-man is released today, if I hadn't made it clear already. Already one fairly shocking announcement, Tim Ream didn't make it.

Both Seltzer and I had him in our lists...

NML

BndQBdACMAAvkXO.png:large

NML

- No Eddie Johnson... damn. GAM was a vital part of last year's run, but he can't buy a goal.

- Joe Corona, wat?

- Both Evans and Yedlin. One of the two gets cut

- Knew no Tim Ream... his versatility and ball skills would've been nice but he just hasn't been around

- No Shea or Agudelo

I missed three picks; Ream, GAM, and Shea, in favor of Evans, Davis, and Corona.

NML

My picks for the seven cuts in order of most likely

Corona, Davis, Brooks, Edu, Wondo, Mix, Evans

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Love dat triple post, and dat Bedoya face.

You like Boyd over Wondo? I know Boyd had been heating up in the A.Bundesliga lately.

chibob

You guys happy with your National team pick? I was surprised at how many players I didnt recognize.

chibob

Spector's last non-friendly NT game was in 2010. :laughing:

Did he retire? Or does your corch just not play him?

Also his last non friendly? Clutching at straws much? Thats about as relevant as saying his last time he played in a fully sold out stadium..or something equally moronic.

Considering how infrequent national competitions are its not much of a big deal to say non friendly. He got selected for the game against the Ukraine in March.

Last edited:

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Only thing that surprises me is no EJ (aka GAM chibob). But I can understand it, and we don't exactly have a shortage of players that can play in that position.

I am very happy no Kljestan. Thank god.

NML

Love dat triple post, and dat Bedoya face.

You like Boyd over Wondo? I know Boyd had been heating up in the A.Bundesliga lately.

Outside of Wondo lighting it up these next three weeks, Boyd is a 23-lock. He's the only in form striker we have.