• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

USA National Soccer (M & W) Thread

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Is he giggling to himself every time he makes a bad pass?

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Is he really shooting this

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Not a bad game. Green would probably have gotten a 6.2 or 6.3 if whoscored was scoring the game (Unfortunately no.) For comparison, Jovetic has a 6.59 off the bench this year in the PL, so it's an encouraging sign. I hope there's a gif of that dribble-foul, definitely a great play even if on second look it's not a PK.

:trollface:

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
It's hard to go from premier League officiating to this shit. I don't care if it looks racist as hell, send all the prem Refs to the world cup

NML

Green looked exactly like I expected an 18 year old wunderkind making his debut to look. Couple exciting plays, lots of bad touches and bad passes. Not sure I'm taking him over Shea for Brazil for the "spark off the bench" role. Shea will need to get some minutes doe.

Bradley is clearly the best USMNT player, and I think he has been for a while. We are a completely different side when he's out there.

I honestly can't remember Besler playing, but I know he did. Gonzo on set pieces :emo:

Beckerman balled out. Davis and Beltran were surprisingly good. Rimando was Rimando. All the subs put in meh performances. Parkhurst was solid, and it think he's a lock for Brazil since he can play every spot on the back line.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Yeah I was really impressed by Yedlin. As soon as he came on their attacks down his flank died. Probably due to his high pressure style.

BearDownUofA

Festizio
IDK why but it still feels strange to be talking about Michael Bradley as the best player on the team. I know he's the best but it just seems strange to be mentioning his name as the best.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Well LDs glory days are long over, so someone needs to be. I like Bradley because he is versatile in midfield, bring solid offense and defense and can play anywhere in there

BearDownUofA

Festizio
Yeah, I know. It's just that Bradley kind of came out of nowhere to become the best we've got, IMHO. He's not some media golden child like Landycakes. He's just damn good.

NML

I just think his early career was over shadowed by LD's glory days and Freddy Adu. I'm pretty sure MB was drafted by his dad at like 17. Didn't he score 20 goals or something in Holland when he was around 21?

Media just didn't take to him - probably partially because as MB got real good, Bob was on his way out. There was always a "it's because he's the coach's son" idea out there. Oddly, he's hit new heights now that his dad isn't there.

He's also never played where he was readily available for a US audience to watch him.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Also probably the biggest question of last night; Who's leading the ST race right now between Wondo and EJ?

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Kinda sad what's happened to Edu. He went from a guy who should've played every minute in 2010 (Ricardo Clark playing over him cost us going to the quarters) to someone who shouldn't sniff the 30 man squad. I know it's soccer and guys career just go to hell but it sucks because I reely liked his game and IMO if he would've kept developing he would be a CB option right now.

I wonder how much Rangers going to hell had to do with his career going to hell (if any)...

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
That'd be awesome, me and my cousin are thinking of going up. I was looking on ticketmaster earlier today. Never been to the stadium, is seating good pretty much anywhere?

NML

That'd be awesome, me and my cousin are thinking of going up. I was looking on ticketmaster earlier today. Never been to the stadium, is seating good pretty much anywhere?

Yeah I'm not sure what the set-up is for soccer, but if it's like football then yeah you can't really go wrong. Honestly, a good choice is buying the cheapest ticket you can and going to the Bud Zone. They don't ID so you'll be fine. It's where all the hoes hang out. Plus the balcony has a good view.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Jacksonville hoes?

giphy.gif

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
I was never a fan of Sermanni. He couldn't get Australia past the hump and I don't think his Matilda sides ever laid a scratch on Japan. Maybe North Korea or China, but that's at a premium. So for him to get Abramovich'd like this is a breath of fresh air. Good riddance. Two wins in one day, can't believe I'm saying that, but it is what it is.

BearDownUofA

Festizio
This was the US' first time finishing that low at the Algarve Cup and only the fourth time in their entire history of participating (19 total appearances) that they have not gotten at least third place. It's an extremely disappointing result for what is a very prestigious tournament in international women's soccer. The US finishing that poorly, especially since we haven't finished in at least third since the 2002 tournament, is unacceptable.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
This was the US' first time finishing that low at the Algarve Cup and only the fourth time in their entire history of participating (19 total appearances) that they have not gotten at least third place. It's an extremely disappointing result for what is a very prestigious tournament in international women's soccer. The US finishing that poorly, especially since we haven't finished in at least third since the 2002 tournament, is unacceptable.
I rest my case. Thanks, Bear.

NML

Kind of hard to believe, but we are about a month away from the prelim camp and two months from Ghana. Quick NML rundown on how we stand as a team...

GOALKEEPERS
- There was never much concern here. We know Tim Howard is a boss, one of the most consistent keepers in the world. Brad Guzan as our back-up is just a bonus in case Howard snagged a red or a knock. Rimando will be the third guy and has shown his ability when called upon. The only real question was "could Guzan become the #1?" The answer has been a very firm "no" as Howard might be putting his best ever season together. Great to see after we saw him get beat quite a few times in 2013 on the near post or other uncharacteristic Howard antics.

DEFENSE
- We do have some depth, but that's about it. Geoff Cameron will start, almost definitely at right back. He's such a beast for Stoke - extremely consistent, great tackler, very smart, and plenty athletic. Arguably, besides Crouch and Begovic, their best player this season. Left back is solid; Beasley was the most capped player in 2013 and Fabian Johnson is a very similar player to Cameron. One big question JK will have is who start there, or whether or not to move Johnson forward where he's shown to be a big threat. Combining the two gives the US a lot of speed on the left side.

Of course the biggest question will be the center-back combination, and honestly it wouldn't be shocking to see multiple pairings through out the WC. Besler and Gonzo seems like a safe bet to start against Ghana - they compliment each other best and got the clean sheet in Mexico. However, Goodson paired with Gonzo against Costa Rica (1-0 snow game) and dos a cero. All three are playing, although Goodson and San Jose have looked sub par. Besler-Gonzo has the edge for now.

The rest of the defense is interesting - those six are locks. I'd also bet on Michael Parkhurst, who's move to MLS was perfect and can play anywhere along the backline. The eighth, and likely final defender, could be a variety of people. Brad Evans had a great qualifying run and might have an outside shot at starting at right back, although DeAndre Yedlin got the start against Mexico. Orozco's club refusing to let him go probably cost him a spot. The rest would be long shots; Chandler is hurt and his team is likely getting relegated, John Anthony Brooks didn't show very well in his first start and isn't getting consistent time in Europe, Eric Lichaj is hurt and hasn't played in a few months, Edgar Castillo is still looking for his first good showing for the national team, and Gooch is old as fuck. No one else has a shot.

MIDFIELD
- Michael Bradley also had a great move to MLS and has been bossing every game. The key to the US national team and will probably be the best player on the field in the Ghana game (Kevin Prince Boateng is also an acceptable answer). Jermaine Jones made the move to Turkey and his club moved into the Champions League spot this weekend. All signs point to them anchoring the team in the middle. Kyle Beckerman could challenge Jones and will definitely be on the plane to Brazil. The Zusi is the best creator from the wings and his perfect technical ability will be very useful - I have a very hard time imagining him as anything other than the starting right winger against Ghana. Bedoya, another lock, could challenge him and has been a chess piece in Nantes very impressive mid-table season in France. Donovan is a lock, although it's unsure exactly what his role will be. Could be the spark off the bench? Crazy to imagine our greatest ever player coming off the bench. The greatest story of the past few weeks as been Deuce's surge of scoring - I recently saw a tweet saying it's the second best in MLS history (6 goals in 3 games). After a year of sub-par club performances, this has been a great sign (he'll actually be listed as a forward on the final roster).

That likely leaves one spot, maybe two for a handful of borderline players. Once-locks Torres and Corona seem like long shots at best now. Feilhaber didn't even get called up in January despite a great start in MLS. Sacha seems to have, finally for you'll, fallen out of the picture and can barely get minutes at Anderlecht.

The last guy (or two) will probably come from the following (in order of most likely): Mix, Brad Davis, Danny Williams, Luis Gil, Brek Shea, and Maurice Edu. It really depends on what JK wants to add to the team. Mix seemed like a lock recently, but has struggled to get on the field in Norway, with just 84 minutes in three games (although he did score). Brad Davis seems the more likely of the lefties to get the call, with a solid performance against Mexico and Shea not seeing the field since early March. Danny Williams has struggled with injuries, but Reading look like they will go to the playoffs to get back into the EPL and he's directly competing with Edu; another US player who's international career has been rejuvenated with a move to MLS. He's been rock solid for Philly. Luis Gil will have to beat out Mix, but he's already beaten out Feilhaber and will almost definitely get into the prelim camp.

FORWARD
- It's almost all bad news here. Jozy has played more with the Sunderland u21's this month than the first team and they are surely getting relegated. That said, he's still a lock and it would be really surprising not to see him start every game in Brazil. It'll be vital that he finds the back of the net in the three friendlies. Aron Johannsson has missed two penalties in recent weeks, and has struggled to continue his great form from the first half of the season. He still has a chance to break Jozy's record from last year, but he's definitely not playing well right now. Terrance Boyd has gone six straight appearances without a goal. Eddie Johnson hasn't scored yet this season. The only striker scoring consistently right now is Wondo - who has made a legitimate case for a spot in Brazil. Agudelo scored this weekend and will also almost definitely be in the prelim camp. Only other shot here is Julian Green.

Probably bringing four guys here - Jozy and AJ are the locks. I'd put Boyd at about an 80% chance right now. Only thing hurting him right now is that he hasn't scored in 12 appearances for the US. Can you bring a striker who hasn't scored for you to the World Cup? Julian Green is certainly hoping yes. Eddie Johnson brings versatility and had a great run last year. Wondo is the hot striker right now. Agudelo is the longshot (I suppose along with Green).

In order for that fourth spot, I'd go Wondo, GAM, Green, and then Agudelo.

My guess for biggest snubs: Brad Evans and Eddie Johnson
Biggest surprises: Luis Gil and DeAndre Yedlin

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I'd much rather see GAM go than Boyd. I'm not sure if Boyd adds all that much, but GAM can play in the center and on the left, which is a big plus. God help me if Wondo sees minutes in the World Cup. I wouldn't be pissed seeing him as a 4th option, but he's proven over and over that he's a good MLS scorer but not a good international scorer. I'd rather take an unknown like Green or Boyd than Wondo, but I doubt that happens.

My prefered starting 11 against Ghana:

Howard
Cameron - Besler - Gonzo - Johnson
Jones - Bradley
Donovan - Dempsey - Zusi
Altidore

If we push Johnson up to left wing, then I'd rather see Dempsey go up top, Altidore go to the bench, and bring in Beasley at left back. I want Howard, Donovan, Dempsey, and Bradley playing pretty much every single minute of the World Cup. They're the proven international players on this team.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
I thought Boateng was out of form due to too much sex. Is he going celibate until Brazil?

I see a need for Yedlin, and that need is "down 1-0 in the 75th and shown nothing so far against Ghana", lol. There's going to be at least 1 game where we're going to have to throw everything we have out there.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Also, I suggested leaving Dempsey out of the Starting 11 for Ghana unless he was on fire going through the first half of the MLS season. Hmmmmmm.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I thought Boateng was out of form due to too much sex. Is he going celibate until Brazil?

I see a need for Yedlin, and that need is "down 1-0 in the 75th and shown nothing so far against Ghana", lol. There's going to be at least 1 game where we're going to have to throw everything we have out there.

This. Yedlin would be key im a situation like that

NML

Interesting article in ESPN FC's World Cup guide (which is worth picking up)

Its about Besler and Gonzo. One of the main arguments you here against that pairing is that they aren't use to defending elite strikers because they play in MLS. An interesting counter point (and one I hadn't thought of), is that the center back position has been shaky for the US since the 02 World Cup, where we nearly reached the semi's. We had Boca and Gooch at their peaks at various times, but ultimately in 06 we flopped and in 2010 we advanced despite our CBs.

Our center back pairing for the 02 World Cup? Eddie Pope and Jeff Agoos, both MLS players.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
The bigger question is who is better? Weaknesses aside, you aren't going to plug in Parkhurst or Goodson and see anything different, and Cameron not playing at RB is a recipe for death by Ronaldo/Reus.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Interesting article in ESPN FC's World Cup guide (which is worth picking up)

Its about Besler and Gonzo. One of the main arguments you here against that pairing is that they aren't use to defending elite strikers because they play in MLS. An interesting counter point (and one I hadn't thought of), is that the center back position has been shaky for the US since the 02 World Cup, where we nearly reached the semi's. We had Boca and Gooch at their peaks at various times, but ultimately in 06 we flopped and in 2010 we advanced despite our CBs.

Our center back pairing for the 02 World Cup? Eddie Pope and Jeff Agoos, both MLS players.

Eddie Pope was still out there in 2006, so, not sure what your point is...

Actually, though, I agree with you and that article. There are not many teams in the World Cup that have world class defenders, and there are a lot of countries that advance deep into the tournament with defenders who play in their second tier home leagues. Look at any country in Europe outside of the big ones and you'll find no-name defenders but the team still doing fine.

That said, I think it's important to have a good DM or destroyer in front of your CBs in the World Cup, especially if they are weak like ours are. It's no coincidence that Mastroeni in 2002 was arguably at his peak. In 2010, you had Bradley - not a destroyer ala Mastroeni, but still decent defensively - and then a rotating collection of destroyers at his side. I think I our deep lying midfielders are pretty damn good, so it makes me more secure in having MLSers out there.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Id say only spain france brazil italy and germany have two good cbs. Not much out there. Argument could be made for belgium.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I'm not sure I would include Spain (no Puyol anymore most likely), Brazil (Luiz :laughing: ), or Germany (Hummels is inconsistent) on there, but yeah, you get my point.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Brazil would most likely be Silva and Dante, wouldn't it?

NML

06 was a very old Eddie Pope, not prime of his career like in 02. Both Besler and Gonzo are in their primes.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I'm not sure I would include Spain (no Puyol anymore most likely), Brazil (Luiz :laughing: ), or Germany (Hummels is inconsistent) on there, but yeah, you get my point.
Pique and ramos or martinez, hummels and mertesacker, and luiz is a good cb for brazil just not for club plus dante