• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

USA National Soccer (M & W) Thread

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Are you this excited @DeadMan ?

jonah-hill-mars-volta.gif

This excited?

fan12.gif

or this excited?

southpark-cum.jpg

NML

How I'm lining up against Ghana

Jozy
Donovan - Dempsey - Zusi
Bradley - Jones
Johnson - Besler - Gonzo - Cameron
Howard

Bedoya for Zusi around the 65th after a shift of HARD WORK WORK
Boyd for Jozy if he gets tired
AJ for Jones if we need a goal
Beckerman for Dempsey if we need to kill the game

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I'd take Boyd in a heartbeat. Wondo has proven over and over that he's not good enough for international level. At least Boyd has a chance to be a decent international player. Wondo is basically Edson Buddle, Taylor Twellman, etc.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
How I'm lining up against Ghana

Jozy
Donovan - Dempsey - Zusi
Bradley - Jones
Johnson - Besler - Gonzo - Cameron
Howard

Bedoya for Zusi around the 65th after a shift of HARD WORK WORK
Boyd for Jozy if he gets tired
AJ for Jones if we need a goal
Beckerman for Dempsey if we need to kill the game

This. I do wonder if Johnson gets to left wing instead of Donovan and Beasley starts at left back. But this is how I'd line up, too.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Bummed not to see GAM included, I thought he was pretty important in qualifying and always seemed to provide a nice spark when he was used as a sub. He was one of the few players we had who seemed confident enough to run at a defender, and I think that helped open up room for other players to score.

NML

I think it gets our best 11 on the field, even if it's not in their best position. We don't have enough quality to bench guys so others can play their preferred spot.

NML

I think it gets our best 11 on the field, even if it's not in their best position. We don't have enough quality to bench guys so others can play their preferred spot.

I realize after I post this, but what I described is exactly what Bob did in South Africa. He built the team around his best players (Donovan and Dempsey) and kind of just made everyone else fit.

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
I realize after I post this, but what I described is exactly what Bob did in South Africa. He built the team around his best players (Donovan and Dempsey) and kind of just made everyone else fit.
The 09 confed cup run still gives me a raging semi. Davies and Donovan countering off jozy. FAAAAAAAPPPP

chibob

Shall we post the standings of 1776 again?

You can do whatever makes you happy, the fact remains the same. Championship > MLS. I can understand JK wanting domestic players in the squad but there is plenty of US talent national team players (other than the obvious) playing for Championship and Prem teams, so why not use it?

chibob

The elite players of MLS > the elite players of the Championship

Thats debatable. Your elite players are mostly in the twilight of their careers, whereas the Championship is a mixed bag.

I think Ross McCormack would walk into any MLS team.

NML

lol okay? Not sure what that proves...

It's not really debatable. They are similar leagues - MLS has better elite players, Championship has the depth.

There's no one of Clint Dempsey, Jermaine Defoe, or Landon Donovan's quality in the Championship.

chibob

It's not really debatable. They are similar leagues - MLS has better elite players, Championship has the depth.

There's no one of Clint Dempsey, Jermaine Defoe, or Landon Donovan's quality in the Championship.

It 'proves' that he is at a mid table club and hes as good as if not better than most 'elite' level MLS players.

Seriously, youre being deluded.

Jermaine Defoe is the best player in the MLS, and then according to your team of the year its the likes of Robbie Keane and other players dragging out their careers like Tim Cahill. If Dempsey and Donovan are your best players then your elite is definitely inferior to the Championship.

chibob

Also just wanted to highlight this.

Dude, seriously?!

Do not dumb here. Not dumb area here.

Last edited:

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Probably more than I can mention but just a few of the top of my head:

Tom Ince
Kasper Schmeichel
Shaun Wright Philips
Benoit Assou-Ekotto
Junior Hoilett
Danny Ings
Will Hughes

Thats not even mentioning all the loan players.

:laughing: Come on, dude. I'm not sure if Schmeichel would be in the top 3 of MLS goalies. Nick Rimando would easily be the #2 for England.

NML

Chi bob has really lost the plot

Dempsey is championship level? lololololol

Also, I'm 1000% sure you've watched little to no MLS - so now who's just rehashing ESPN?

chibob

I give up on you guys.

You take homerism to another degree.

With the exception of maybe one or two teams the MLS is regarded as being equal to League 1.

But believe what you want to believe.

chibob

Chi bob has really lost the plot

Dempsey is championship level? lololololol

Also, I'm 1000% sure you've watched little to no MLS - so now who's just rehashing ESPN?

Yes Dempsey is championship level. Its embarassing that you haven't grasped that yet.

chibob

:laughing: Come on, dude. I'm not sure if Schmeichel would be in the top 3 of MLS goalies. Nick Rimando would easily be the #2 for England.

And yes Schmiechel, Leicester first choice and also the national keeper for Denmark.

And Nick Rimando the second keeper for England? Give it a rest, in what world is he better than Fraser Forster? Or Ruddy? Or even Foster?

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
If by League 1 you mean Ligue 1 then we might be talking. Eliminate PSG and Monaco and MLS is thereabouts, at lest Seattle, Toronto, SKC, NYRB, and the Galaxy.

chibob

If by League 1 you mean Ligue 1 then we might be talking. Eliminate PSG and Monaco and MLS is thereabouts, at lest Seattle, Toronto, SKC, NYRB, and the Galaxy.

Haha nice try.

Some trolling is obvious, but some people are just dumb. This isnt directed at you yankee, just this thread in general.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Yeah I was piss taking there.

I think MLS = Championship, I'm not going to blow it out of proportion or anything. But ask me again in 5 years when NYCFC has it's feet on the ground and we'll see where it sits. Ultimately it's a really hard thing to judge anyhow; stats don't transfer over well from league to league (Despite whoscored having detailed stats for both MLS and the ship), and not many players have played in both. I could give you some flimsy antecdote about how Will Packwood plays for Birmingham but can't crack the US side at 20 years old, or about Spector, or whatever, but it's a double edged sword. Kinda hard to compare leagues when there's no intercontinental competition at all that the Championship sides can enter (and that the MLS have a chance of winning ever). We do know Liga MX is a lot better than MLS both competitively and fanbase wise, and in turn probably the Brasil Serie A, so there's something.

NML

Yes Dempsey is championship level. Its embarassing that you haven't grasped that yet.

I'm not sure how you think this. I'll try not to be a douche in this post, but it's so hard when you say shit like this...

Over six and a half years in the Premier League, Dempsey made 268 appearances and scored 72 goals, including three decent runs in Europe. Please, please tell me how that makes him anything but Premier League quality.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
And yes Schmiechel, Leicester first choice and also the national keeper for Denmark.

And Nick Rimando the second keeper for England? Give it a rest, in what world is he better than Fraser Forster? Or Ruddy? Or even Foster?

It's okay, dude, you've obviously never seen Rimando play. The answer is a resounding yes.

chibob

Granted I have never seen him play, but the guys in his 30s and only capped 12 times for the US national team?

I think youre trolling me.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Granted I have never seen him play, but the guys in his 30s and only capped 12 times for the US national team?

I think youre trolling me.

The guy is playing behind Howard, before that kella, before that Freidel. Hard to blame a guy when he's facing that sort of competition. Victor Valdes has only been capped 20 times, does that mean anything?

I'm honestly not trolling you. Rimando is really good. I would be completely comfortable if he had to play in the World Cup. How many countries can say that about their #3 goalie?