• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Travis7401's North Dakota riggers Thread

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Congrats to Carter Gibson on winning the Rookie of the Year award in the South League. @Gooksta's rookies split a lot of votes allowing Carter to win.

20543472515_16bfa7ab07_b.jpg

Really liked his post season stat line as well:
AVG = .324
OBP = .342
SLG = .541

Hopefully he grows into his power a bit more in coming seasons and hits more like 25-30 HRs per season.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
Hopefully he grows better facial hair. Looks like a Greek 4th grader with the ghost stache and soul patch

Haha, yep. There was a Greek kid I went to middle school with who looked like he was 25- muscular and crappy facial hair. That kid dominated MS football. I saw him a few years ago and he is still like 5'5" with crappy facial hair but considerably less yoked.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I've bumped DOUGLASS TAGG down to the AAA team for right now, but his role on the 40 man roster is the first infielder up in case of injuries. The funny thing is he's got the worst hitting ratings of anyone on my AAA team :laughing:

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
2051 Starting Pitching Season Preview

I'm using a less time intensive format this year, kinda going to be following @Gooksta's lead with more regular statistical updates (probably do quarterly rather than monthly).

20727087288_a9ef690c70_b.jpg

Starting pitching is more or less the same as I ended with last year, except Tremblett and Cicio return from their injuries. I really considered adding a BIG NAME pitcher in the offseason, but all of my pitchers performed so well last season and are on cheap wages that I figured they deserved another shot based on performance. Plus, I have several good looking AAA prospects ready to come up in the next few seasons and don't want to block them out since Weinstein is really my only old pitcher. Nobody really outstanding in the group and guys like Weinstein and Wiseman probably only find success due to my unique situation. Tremblett is probably the most promising of the bunch, as he still has some potential to grow into. The future looks bright with a couple of AAA pitchers who should be ready to come up within the next year or two and they have higher potential than the current starters!

Last year I had the "BABIP CHEAT CODE" unlocked, so we'll see how my relatively low rated SP staff holds out this season. I'm starting with a 6 man rotation since I don't have any true aces. After a quarter of the season I'll probably relegate the worst performing of the bunch to the bullpen for mop up duty.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
A little late to get back to this, but fuck it... I'm still doing it.

2051 Relief Pitcher Season Preview

20727087098_60a9325c8d_b.jpg

Basically the same lineup as last year. Massey and Saldana struggled a bit last year but they still should have some talent left. Rauch is back from injury after playing a bit in a SP role last season, but I'm bringing him back to the bullpen in a setup role. Probably his last year on the team as he's going to be a free agent and already makes more than I'd like. Francisco Garcia will also be used in a setup role. Juan Garcia was last year's wonderful rookie call up and he's earned hisself a spot on the roster again by leading all RPs in ERA+. He will be used as middle relief "use more often." Finally, we have Esteve Montes as closer once again. He played really well there last season, and despite a drop in movement ratings, I hope he performs well again this year.

This is probably my weakest area when it comes to prospects, after having just traded my best one away to Buffalo. I might have to use a young SP in a bullpen role next season after Rauch leaves.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
2051 Catchers and DH Season Preview

20727087248_eec16f89d7_b.jpg

20915042245_8c56bbd730_b.jpg

I decided to throw DH in here as well because it is the smallest group. Claudio Montes is coming off a great 2050 season and should hopefully be the main starter for years to come. Behind him I have youngster Esteban Garcia, but I'm not sure he's ready to be in the WBL yet. I have another 28 year old backup catcher in AAA if Garcia struggles, but I'd like to see how he plays this season after he performed well in AAA last year. I don't really have long term plans for him anyway, as he's the same age as Montes and will need to make room for my younger prospects eventually.

At DH, I'm trying out the HUNGER GAMES tribute Mike Ducklow from @bruin228 and @bruin. He'll be playing DH against RHP. Then I went out and signed Dmitr "Scuttlebutt" Vajarov, mostly for the ticket/merchandise sales boost on a 1 year $1M contract. He'll be playing DH against LHP. If these two struggle, I can always move Carter Gibson over from LF (where he's a bit of a liability) and play another outfielder.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I had these mostly written up, but I just didn't post them for some reason, lol. I'm adjusting a bit now but mostly leaving it as it was.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
2051 Infield Season Preview

20728284649_3e5c972723_b.jpg

At 1B we have Dani Rodriguez, coming off a shaky 2050 campaign, which was his first year in the WBL. He replaced RUFF Ridha and we are expecting better performances out of him this season. Long term, he's got one of the rigger's best prospects, HAPPY Gonzales developing behind him, so it behooves him to have a good season. At 2B we've got Eneas Cezimbra, who started the year off on fire last season before missing the rest of it with injury. His OSA ratings still don't look as great as my scout thinks he is, so it will be interesting to see what happens with him. If he struggles, DOUGLASS TAGG is waiting in AAA to replace him! At SS we have Mulia Kusuma, coming off a great rookie season and ready to build on that success and lead the riggers to great victory. At 3B we have the huge FA acquisition, Rafael Juarez, who will be making $30M in 2051. He's basically a straight swap for where Douglass Tagg was playing last year, so the riggers should be much improved in the batting department from that move alone. Then last but not lease, we have the highly versatile Clement Launey, who will start against LHP and provide backup at 2B, SS, 1B, and CF.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Gotta fix that 6-17 one run record :scared:

Interesting that you have a losing record in your park too.

Yeah, I honestly just think I've had really bad luck so far this year, with the one run and extra innings records showing it. I don't really see any changes that need to be made to "solve" either of those issues. My closer and setup pitchers are all playing well enough (sub 2.5 ERA for all of them) so late game pitching isn't the issue and I have been hitting plenty of HRs and scoring runs in general (for the riggers anyway) so I should be offensively doing well enough. I think I'm going to be around a .500 team, as I predicted before the season, when it is all said and done. Unfortunately this season I think that'll put me at 5th or 6th in the SL.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
2051 Outfield Season Preview

20922379581_c62cd65bde_b.jpg

This is by far the area of greatest change for the riggers. Last year's starting lineup was Luis Velez, George Miller, and Haswell, and all three struggled throughout the year. Velez is gone, Haswell is collecting his $10M to play DH in AAA, and George Miller left, much to the chagrin of the fan base. Carter Gibson moves from the DH spot to LF where he finished out the 2050 season. He's a liability in the field, but I'm hoping he ends up a little better defensively than he currently is. After two successful seasons as a 4th outfielder and starting the last half of the 2050 season at RF, Solano Lares gets his starting shot for the riggers in RF. Julio "Down by the Schoolyard/River/Whatever" Manuel was brought up to the WBL last September and was a key part of the riggers playoff push, so I expect big things from him this season. For the 4th outfield spot, we considered going with Jesus Lopez, but he struggled in the WBL last season, so we went out and got Onye Medina in FA, since he's better defensively anyway.

In the next year or so, Solano Lares, Jesus Lopez, and Onye Medina will all be fighting for the 4th outfield spot, with a promising corner outfield prospect Lorenzo Castillo, recently acquired from Seoul, finishing his development in AAA.

bruin

At DH, I'm trying out the HUNGER GAMES tribute Mike Ducklow from @bruin228 and @bruin. He'll be playing DH against RHP. Then I went out and signed Dmitr "Scuttlebutt" Vajarov, mostly for the ticket/merchandise sales boost on a 1 year $1M contract. He'll be playing DH against LHP. If these two struggle, I can always move Carter Gibson over from LF (where he's a bit of a liability) and play another outfielder.

tumblr_mim4f0MRUk1rvyn59o1_250.gif

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
2052 Season Preview
Overall I feel like this is my best team yet and the 2052 season was really what I had in mind when I first took over. I managed to accumulate enough young/cheap players and plenty of positional depth that I should at least be competitive for several years with this core group, while also leaving plenty of money available for free agency, given my budgetary limitations. Hopefully by the end of the arb years for this group I should have enough budget to sign a couple of them long term and have young replacements in place to cover for anyone departing.

This was supposed to be my first season "competing for the playoffs" and even though I made the playoffs in that surprising 2050 season, I think the average of the 2050 and 2051 seasons was more what I'd expected. This year my goal is 85 wins. With this core group in place and my payroll actually decreasing in future years (because of deescalation in Juarez contract) I should have enough money to play with for some nice FA splashes or blockbuster trades to add some luxury players.

Pitching Assignments:
21957305209_5f1a01556d_b.jpg

Depth Chart Vs RHP
21521393104_24be6b3599_b.jpg

Depth Chart vs LHP
21521393634_1346aaebda_b.jpg

Starting Pitching
Not too much turnover in this area. TALISMAN Cicio left to provide good fortune to @Yankee151 and Jesse Wiseman has been tentatively moved to the bullpen, though he may end up as a 6th starting pitcher if I decide to go with a 6 man rotation. Terry Morgan, an @Karl Hungus product came up from AAA late last season, but gets his first full year as starter this year. DOG Idogbe, Dave Meyer, Bill Tremblett, and Jose Rivera are all returning starters. Ratings wise, this might be my best top to bottom 5 man pitching rotation to date, and I hope they end up effective. Jose Rivera might end up edged out (or pushed into the bullpen) by AAA pitcher Freddy Ramos or Jesse Wiseman by the end of the season or next year, but otherwise you should see most of this mostly young group for several years to come.

21956067840_6512384bc7_b.jpg

Relief Pitchers
Another area with little movement. Patrick Rauch left for free agency leaving a hole in the roster. I didn't like the prices I was seeing for good relief pitchers in FA, so I decided to fill the hole in house by moving one of my starters over. For the time being, that starter is Jesse Weisman, who I think will benefit most from the relief pitcher role giving him a STUFF bonus. Depending on how the pitchers perform I might swap him with Jose Rivera, because he's typically been more consistent than Rivera. I currently have Esteve Montes set as my closer, but I might swap Francisco Garcia to that role if Montes isn't playing well. Montes' 45 movement makes me nervous, as he's already blown 2 saves giving up walkoff homers. Typically he gives up less homers than you might expect given his low movement, but it is something that bears watching. I think this is generally a good group and most of them should be around for a few more years. I'm probably a player light on the pitching staff right now, as I carried an extra couple infielders to see who rises to the top there. I'll probably move Freddy Ramos up at some point and bump down Jose Rivera to a relief role (or run 6 SPs)

21521393424_101a245b1c_b.jpg

Catcher (s?)
CRAZY but I'm currently only running one catcher on the 25 man. Barring injury, I'm letting a couple of even looking players duke it out in the minors. Whoever puts up the best numbers gets the spot (I'll have to drop one of my infielders at that point). Montes here is only 24 and locked down for his full 5 arb years at a pretty good value. He's been a consistent performer for the riggers, so I feel good about this position for years to come.
21523092623_a9dcb8be2d_b.jpg

Infield
Currently carrying 2 extra infielders to allow for DOUGLASS TAGG to be on the 25 man roster for his TALISMAN powers and also to allow a couple of other players to platoon or compete for jobs. Dani Rodriguez and HG donation from @Orlando Brandon Watson are currently the 1B pair. I'll only keep one of them up on the 25 man for the whole season (and lets hope it is Dani Rod if he gets his shit together). At the middle infield spots, I've got a nice "problem" of having several players who are capable of starting and doing well. Clement Launay and Mulia Kusuma each have versatility and bats/base running that make them locks on the 25 man roster. That means Cezimbra and Eirosa are probably competing for a single 25 man spot long term (with TAGG being a necessity on the roster). Rafael Juarez has the 3B spot on lock, barring injury.
21523092783_319b18eb42_b.jpg

Outfield
Solano Lares returns for another year as a starter, this time at the LF spot. Onye Medinal can't hit RHP for shit, so he platoons with Lorenzo Castillo, a young player I promoted from AAA after he hit extremely well there last season (Maybe promoted him too early, but he was on the 40 man and I need some pop). Julio DOWN BY THE SCHOOLYARD Manuel has CF on lock for years to come and will soon sign a 5 year contract now that he hit 1year of service time. Carter Gibson is going to play DH mostly this season, but I always have the option to play him at LF if neccesary. Douglass Tagg and Clement Launay can also sub in the outfield if necessary.
22131623912_618159110c_b.jpg

Last edited:

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Keeping Douglass on the 25 man really bungs things up for a couple of guys I'd like to keep in the majors, lol. Maybe Cezimbra, Watson, and Eirosa need to work on their TALISMAN powers if they want a spot in this man's league.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
2052 Mid Season Review

Starting Pitchers:
This isn't going as well as I'd expected, honestly, as I currently am only 4th in Starting Pitcher ERA. With my team built around defensive baseball and park factors they really need to do better than that. I'm really pleased with Dave Meyer, as he's playing like one of the best pitchers in the Division and just signed to a 5 year contract. Jose Rivera and DOG are pitching about as I'd expect them to (Rivera is supposed to be my #5 at this point). A little disappointed with the performance of Terry Morgan and a lot disappointed with the performance of Bill Tremblett. Bill "Brother of Julien" went on such a cold streak that I had to move him to the Bullpen and promote Jesse Wiseman to the starting lineup. Hopefully when Bill gets his feet under hisself and gets off the cold streak I'll be able to move him back into the starting rotation and he'll have a good end of the year. His BABIP of .350 indicates his lack of success is probably more a product of bad luck. I hope Terry Morgan and Bill Tremblett can pull it together in the 2nd half of the season, because Freddy Ramos is ready and waiting to join the team in September! I was really disappointed that Dave Meyer wasn't even available as an option on the All Star Ballots. Weird since he was pitcher of the month early in the season and has played really well.
22477563471_6647639347_b.jpg

Relief Pitchers:
I have the #1 Bullpen in the South and really only Francisco Garcia has struggled, and a lot of that is just due to his unlucky horrible BABIP, so I expect him to sort it out by the end of the season (he always does). Esteve Montes struggled a little bit with closing in May, but was Pitcher of the Month in June. For some reason he wasn't available as a selection on my all-star ballot, so I boycotted. Daniel Saldana and Juan Garcia are both playing really well as setup and middle relief left handers. David Johnson was recently promoted from AAA because the small bullpen was suffering from fatigue, and he's pitched well. Tyrone Massey is still holding strong as a setup man. Jesse Wiseman really thrived in the bullpen, but hasn't played as well since I moved him to the starting lineup. Long term I'd love to keep him in the bullpen because he was pitching a ton of innings and I loved what he was doing. I'm really confident in this group going forward, and they should only get better once Francisco shakes off his slump and starts getting more innings.

22466598825_199f1f4a76_b.jpg

Catcher:
I started with only Claudio Montes, but he was getting tired, so I promoted Esteban Garcia, who struggled in the WBL last year. This year he seems to doing much better and is providing Claudio with some rest breaks and then also giving some much needed pop off the bench as a pinch hitter. Claudio is my long term catcher and I'm pleased to see he's playing so well this season, with + Defense and OPS > .800
22477563341_0b01ea9df3_b.jpg

Infield:
I couldn't be happier with the infield so far this season, even though I had to drop Cez and Brandon Watson to AAA to make room for a backup catcher and relief pitcher (this was planned, I just wanted to see which players got hot early) The defense has been phenomenal across the board (+17.2 ZR from the 4 starters and +20 ZR when including backups). In addition to the defense, the Dani Rod and Juarez are providing lots of good power hitting from their 1B and 3B spots. From the MIF spots, Mulia Kusuma and Clement Launay are getting on base at .332 and .364, respectively with OPS of .749 and .706 as well, which is really nice for + or ++ defense at MIF spots. Marco Eirosa and Douglass Tagg are contributing solid defense when they spell the starters, and in Douglass' case, providing IMMEASURABLE TALISMAN powers as well. Look at how well Juarez is playing since he knows even the slightest slip up and Douglass Tagg will replace him in the starting lineup. The only thing that has been sucking about this group is that they've been pretty damn terrible at stealing bases, which is odd because Juarez, Kusuma, and Launay all have great SB ratings. They are all getting caught at an alarming clip, so I'm going to have to dial their stealing sliders back, apparently.

22278907518_7d99f88d05_b.jpg

Outfield:
Other than JULIO DOWN BY THE RIVER/SCHOOLYARD, who has been phenomenal for me this season and is my vote for ALL STAR CF, the OF is basically a dumpster fire this season. Carter Gibson is not hitting as well as he should be from the DH spot, Solano Lares, who has been a pretty consistent "stop gap" player for me the last few seasons is struggling, and both heads of my RF trog monster are horrible. Onye Medina can't hit for shit anymore (especially RHP) and while Lorenzo Castillo is hitting a little better (really streaky), he's still REALLY struggling defensively. I'm hoping that Carter Gibson at least shakes out of his slump and starts hitting at >0.800 OPS where he should be. I think Solano Lares will still be a fine defensive minded 4th outfielder moving forward, but he's not a HAVE quality starting option right now. Onye Medina is done after this season no matter what because he keeps starting shit and being pissy. I think Lorenzo is just having rookie struggles right now and I'm hoping he'll be better in future seasons, as I think he should hit over .800 OPS. I might be re-shuffling this group in the second half of the season, sending Castillo down and replacing him with another player. If worst comes to worst, Douglass can play outfield too!

22466598875_544a2972c8_b.jpg

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
PROSPECT WATCH

I've decided that in all my future reviews/previews I'll also highlight one batting and one pitching prospect that either I'm really excited about or are really playing well in the minor leagues.

Batter - Edward Welch
This guy was a random free agent pickup a few years ago because my scout really liked him. Originally he was set as a SS, but he doesn't have the range/error ratings for that. He's developed well and is now a 55 positional 2B, which I think is his best position. He's already 26, but I'd like to give him 1 more season in AAA if possible to let his bat develop just a bit more and maybe get him some cross training at 1B as well. So far this season in AAA he's hitting 0.853 OPS and has hit 13 HRs and 23 doubles. His defense doesn't really fit into my preferred type of player at 2B, but I think having extra power in that position could be beneficial as a change of pace.

22454745232_62cbd94258_b.jpg

Pitcher - Bilgin Dikerdem
His name has several elements of hydraulic engineering ham-fisted together, which is why he initially caught my eye. I was happy to get him in the 3rd round and I think he mostly fell down the draft boards because his 3rd pitch is garbage, which makes him a bit questionable as a starter. Still, I love the fact that he's a left hander with 55/55/65 potential pitching ratings, 60 stamina and solid defensive skill set too. At worst, I think having another lefty reliever is nice and at best he could end up as a serviceable starter. He's pitched really well in A ball this season, so I'll be promoting him to AA for the second half of the year!
21845378624_638e9ee68c_b.jpg

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
2052 Season Review - Try 2 - with less effort

When I first took over the riggers, my goal was to build a solid young core of players around Claudio Montes, Mulia Kusuma, and Clement Launay and start competing for the playoffs by 2052. We finished the season with an extremely hot month of September, so not only did we make the playoffs, but we finished 2nd in the SL and won 90 games and I've got a good young core of players that will be here for years to come (or be upgraded). Rafael Juarez is my only player who isn't young, but he's entering the last 3 years of a team friendly salary structure, so I hopefully have time to find a player to play 3B. I think I've done a good job building up the minor league system and managing salaries and budget so I'm able to spend big in IFA or use very large single year FA contracts to add popular star players to the team (thus boosting attendance and budget). Along with my personal goals, the team did a good job accomplishing the owner's goals as well:

22243421673_c2d0cac1ca_b.jpg

Starting Pitchers:
I still don't really have an ACE pitcher, but my stadium factors and defensive build should allow for average pitchers to play well and above average guys to excel. One of my goals in the next few years is to pick up a true ACE pitcher since I don't really have one in my system. Dave Meyer was the obvious best pitcher for the riggers this season, and I think he's a solid #2 type pitcher. Freddy Ramos was promoted from AAA and did very well, and I think he has a bright future as well. Bill Tremblett (on IR and not listed) was my other top tier young pitcher, but he struggled through a sophomore slump this season and then hurt hisself for 7 months, so he might be ruined. Jesse Wiseman, Jose Rivera, and Kadidou Idogbe are my 3 stalwart stop gaps who are still going strong. Wiseman and Rivera both had really nice seasons as starters, but I think their future will be in relief pitching roles with starting potential (which I like to dick with 7 day lineup types). DOG is still the right price and has been consistently decent for 4 years now, so I've got him down as my #5 pitcher going forward. Terry Morgan is another youngster who had a sophomore slump, but hopefully he plays better next year. He's not phenomenal looking, but has better potential than Wiseman/Rivera/Idogbe

22241820904_c9e5466cdc_b.jpg

Relief Pitchers:
Esteve Montes had a really nice season as a closer with 49 saves and a winning record as well. He still gives up too many HRs for my taste, but I'm still confident in him moving forward for a couple seasons. Tyronne Massey did really well in my setup role this season and will remain. Daniel Saldana had a good last month to make his stats look respectable, but he struggled for much of the season and his ratings have dived according to my scout and OSA, so I might need to find a new LOOGY. Francisco Garcia had a down year and played so bad at one point that I had to limit his innings. Hopefully he gets his shit together because when he's playing well he makes for a great relief pitcher option as a closer or setup guy. David Johnson was brought up from AAA and struggled a bit. He might not be a long term solution here, and he might start on AAA in 2053 when Rivera and Wiseman slide over to relief pitcher roles.
22875729491_ba2476885e_b.jpg

Catcher - Claudio Montes had a nice season for a 24 year old and I'm confident that he'll continue to be a solid player for years to come. I don't think he'll ever be an all star level player, but a solid 2-3 WAR guy with good defense and decent hitting is good enough for me. His backup is still struggling in the WBL, especially in the second half of the season. I'd like to have a backup catcher that can play some DH or at least provide more of a bat as a pinch hitter, so I might be looking to upgrade on a single year contract. I think my youngster is still 2 years out from being fully WBL ready.

22838590006_56aa66a770_b.jpg

Infield -
Rafael Juarez was one of the best 3B in the league again and only a downturn in the last couple of weeks kept him below 5 WARS. The next 3 years make up the team friendly portion of his deal, so I'm excited to have him around at a price I consider reasonable. Mason Faz came via trade with @Rutgers Mike. He obviously played extremely well for Mike this year and he also helped shore up my DH spot for the playoff push. I signed him to a 1 year $20M contract for next season. To some this might seem excessive, but it is really part of my financial plan going forward to sign star players to large 1 year contracts in non IFA years. It provides the obvious on field benefits and also really helps drive up fan interest, which increases my future budgets. Hopefully Faz has another good season next year. Mulia Kusuma exceeded 3 WAR for the first time this season, and he did a better job at the plate this season with a nice high average of .294. He's a solid young shortstop and I expect he will continue to serve me well in the future. Dani Rod shook off his early WBL troubles and had a decent season at 1B, though he definitely slumped toward the end of the year compared to his hot start. I hope he'll give me a couple more good seasons, but I plan on bringing up Roosevelt Gonzales, his eventual replacement, at some point next season. Clement Launay is a guy who is never going to show a lot of WAR because he doesn't have a great batting average and he doesn't hit for power, but he plays good defense and his eye is good enough to get him on base at an acceptable rate to be a leadoff hitter. I'd love to see his average improve, but he still gets on base at over .325. Eneas Cezimbra's ratings have continue to decline and I think I'll use him in a similar role as Marco Eirosa, having both in AAA as acceptable stopgaps in case of injury, but neither is good enough to be a regular starter for a HAVE. Then we have Douglass Tagg. He had -0.1 WAR but had +10 Leadership WAR, leading the riggers to the playoffs. I don't question it. At least he can play multiple positions well defensively!
22446241148_3f883cdd1f_b.jpg

Outfield:
Julio Manuel is the BTT and he had a great season hitting over .800 OPS and providing solid defense in CF. I plan on moving him to LF next season (my LF area needs a CF like range to cover due to park factors) and hopefully JULIO had a long and wonderful career for me putting up 3+ WAR seasons. Quinton Magnanti came up from AAA near the end of the season to replace Lorenzo Castillo, who struggled and was sent back down to AAA. Q Magnanti was + in the field and hit .800 OPS at the plate, to rack up 0.9 WAR in only 40 games or so. Hopefully he can keep that up next year and become a starter at the RF spot. George Miller came back to the riggers to play DH against LHP, pinch hit, and provide some leadership and ticket sales. It worked swimmingly as he greatly increased fan interest and hit for a ridiculous 1.211 OPS in the last month of the season to fuel the rigger push for the playoffs. He wanted too much money for me to bring him back next season, and I know his hot month was more of a fluke than what can be expected in the future, but for the sake of ticket sales we'll see what we can do to keep him a rigger. Mason Brett came via a blockbuster trade in which we gave up our DH Carter Gibson and our LOOGY Juan Garcia. He's a high contact high GAP player with speed and ++ defense who should fit extremely well in the rigger system. Immediately after the trade he was extremely upset and played poorly, but we got him under contract and he played very well the last couple of games of the season to get back above 0 WAR. Next year I plan on playing him in CF. Solano Lares had a rough season at the plate, but still played solid defense. He'll be 4th outfielder next season, which is a role he's done well in.

22446214627_bfb87cc26a_b.jpg

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
PROSPECT WATCH

Batter - Jose Vigil

I started Vigil in A, where he played very well for half the season and then I moved him up to AA where he hit .794 and struggled a bit while learning new positions. He looks like he's still at least a couple years away from being WBL ready, but I like his 55 average bat ratings with solid fielding ratings as well. He should fit the rigger mold and get some early playing time as a 4th outfielder before possibly transitioning into a starter at one of the corner spots if his power develops.
22838591286_dd044951ec_b.jpg

Pitcher - Leo 'FOZZY' Leckenby

This dude was a @Lloyd Carr prospect that had that rigger control/movement blend and is left handed. I've started collecting these guys like pokemon, so at some point I'm going to have like 4 identical pitchers, lol. He's improved some, but his control has stalled quite a bit lower than his potential (according to OSA at least), which has me worried. He pitched really well in AA this year and he'll definitely be ready for a move up to AAA next season.
22676583130_b0e460920f_b.jpg

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
DEVELOPMENT ADVICE:

I just drafted this guy Thomas Nix, and he's already really far along in his development (using scout ratings, sorry @Mr. Radpants , but it is pertinent to this discussion). If you draft a dude like this who already has AAA ratings, would you hesitate to throw him right into the fire? I'd love to have him WBL ready as a 4th outfielder by 2054 because I think he'd be nice in that role with the very nice defensive sub/pinch runner capabilities as additional ++ value. If I throw him straight into AAA will it @Reel his confidence and kill him? Should I start a guy like this in A? AA? AAA? Looking for advice.

22289734124_274f4fc2a4_b.jpg

Schauwn

I would probably start him in A and just keep a close eye on him, and advance him to AA faster than normal. If he does well at each level, he should be able to be on your playoff roster by playoffs and get some experience

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Ima have too many outfielders to start all of them in A anyway, since I just drafted 3 dudes and have another guy from last year who needs another year in A. If I don't start him in AAA I'd start him in AA just due to playing time considerations.

DECADES OF DOMINANCE PROBLEMS

Schauwn

Ima have too many outfielders to start all of them in A anyway, since I just drafted 3 dudes and have another guy from last year who needs another year in A. If I don't start him in AAA I'd start him in AA just due to playing time considerations.

DECADES OF DOMINANCE PROBLEMS

But if he's a future g.o.a.t., he'll be moved up to AA in a month and then all your scrubs can get time in the field.

NML

@Travis7401

Couple questions as a fellow stat nerd

1) how would you go about accounting for premiums defensive positions? The WAR would still be the same, but BTT rating should probably go up.

2) what about DH? I ran Scott Bell and his was only a 2.4, I believe. However with 50 (average) defense, it was closer (my ballpark will increase offensive WAR as well).

3) did you do this for pitchers as well? What were the results?

I thought it was interesting that, apparently, the highest r-squared belonged to contact. I would've thought power. And not only did contact have a high coefficient, it was almost double.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
WAR factors position, which is why you see a fair number of DH type players with very good OPS stats that end up in the 3-4 WAR range. If they played a position even marginally they'd be at like 5-6 WARS. Generally speaking, it is preferable to use players in the field unless they are a complete liability or it doesn't play into your SYSTEM.

Last edited:

NML

WAR factors position, which is why you see a fair number of DH type players with very good OPS stats that end up in the 3-4 WAR range. If they played a position even marginally they'd be at like 5-6 WARS

The basis of my question is the same, just asked differently.

How do you/would you account for premium defensive positions since they would have a higher war?

And what about pitchers

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
And yes I did the same thing with Pitchers. Stuff is by far the most important single attribute when projecting WHIP or ERA+ (the two stats I utilized). Movement and Control are about equal overall but Control impacts WHIP more and Movement impacts ERA+ more. Not surprising because this is what the OOTP manual tells us. With pitching, the most important thing is that all their ratings meet some minimum threshold in all 3 ratings for success (and this is probably park based). I'd rather have a 60/55/60 pitcher than a 70/45/60 pitcher even though they both have the same total ratings and I just told you stuff is most important. This is because values below 55 are bad and values below 50 are ruinous to WBL success for most players. I set my personal minimums for all 3 ratings at 50 (barring a few exceptions like Jesse Wiseman who I know play well from experience and had 45 stuff as an SP). Someone with a hitter friendly park should set the minimum for all ratings at 55.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Here are the adjustments I make for WAR based on neutral fielding for 162 games (60 fielding rating will get you a neutral ZR/EFF in this league at most positions)

In order of defensive importance (your park factors may change the order, for instance my LF defense is more important than my RF defense due to park factors, and I've confirmed this via statistical analysis).

Catcher: +1 WAR
Shortstop: +.75 WAR
Second Base: +.5 WAR
Center Field: +.5 WAR
Third Base: +.25 WAR
Right Field: -.5 WAR
Left Field: -.75 WAR
First Base: -1 WAR
DH: -1.5 WAR

Now if a player is a + fielder (5+ ZR and +EFF) then you add 0.5 War. If they are a ++ fielder (10+ZR and ++EFF) then you add 1.0 WAR and same thing for negative fielders.

This chart shows why it would be better to play a player with 60 CF rating and 80 LF rating in CF. They'd be a + or ++ at LF but the positional difference alone more than makes up for the fact that they are higher rated at LF.

This analysis is what I used to convince @Lloyd Carr it was time to move Linus Enquist to DH instead of playing him in LF. The difference in Positional value between DH and LF is 0.75 WAR, but in 2049 Linus Enquist was so monumentally bad in the field (-26 ZR and an EFF of .85) that his fielding was like -2.5 WAR. Thus even with the positional change, it would have been a net positive of +1.75 to move Enquist to DH.

My positional ratings are sort of based on this:
http://www.fangraphs.com/library/war/war-position-players/

With some adjustments based on what I've found in OOTP (ie 2B fielding in OOTP is more important than 3B fielding, whereas the fan graphs article has them equal).

Last edited:

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
60/60/60 gets absolutely shelled in Dublin.

I think you kind of have to play opposite of ur park. 50/50/50/50/50 type hitters probably play really well in Dublin and they are -War disasters for me.

So for me, I should put all my monies into premium hitters because my pitching can be elite with 55/55/55 guys who are a dime a dozen. You should spend all your monies on premium Kasib type pitching because any average 50/50/50/50 type hitter is going to be a good player in ur park.

I think the temptation is to do the opposite (OMG HOW GOOD WOULD KASIB BE IN THE SPHERE) but I think that's a trap. Look at Amsterdam having the top 10 HR hitters or some shit and not making the playoffs because their pitching (good players) got destroyed. He needs the BEST pitchers in that park.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
@NML as to why contact is the most important. I think Contact serves as the base rating to which all other ratings are added, essentially. Contact and Ks work in conjunction with each other and form the base hitting rating (average). Now while Contact and Avoid Ks serves the same "role" in determining average, Contact is most important while Ks serve as kind of a secondary dice roll of potential outcomes once the ball is in play (think BABIP), and is thus about 1/5th as important as contact. The rest of the ratings serve as modifiers to that base average. Add in a good eye to a high average bat and you have High OBP bat. Add in good Gap/Power and you have good slugging added. Good ratings in all of them = High OPS.

Average = Contact + Ks (1/5th)
OBP = Contact + Ks + Eye
SLG = Contact + Ks + GAP + Power
OPS = All 5 batting ratings, with the following order of importance. Contact > Power > Eye> Ks > GAP

(Park factors can change these, for instance GAP has relatively more importance in my park)

So in short, Contact effects all the other hitting ratings and is therefore most important. If you don't have high contact (50+) you simply don't hit enough balls for the other ratings to matter as much as they should. The higher your contact, the more often the other high ratings come into play.

Last edited:
Reactions: NML

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I had a player RUFF RIDHA with 45 contact and 70 power In my park, for a LHB, I'd expect him to hit about .240 average with about 15-20% of his hits being HRs. It isn't surprising to find players who play essentially one tier better or worse than their ratings in any given season. Many players fall into this range of +-5 in ever rating, so it is useful to see what they'd play like if they have a bad or good season. RIDHA is a good example of both types of season.

In 2049 he hit for .260 average and 42 HRs (25% HRs which you typically only see in 75-80 Power hitters). Both his average and HR% were higher than expected and corresponded to a player who was more like 80 power and 50 contact.

In 2050, with the same ratings, his average swung the other way and he hit worse than predicted with a .229 average. His HRs that year made up 13% of his total hits.

The cool thing is that both of those seasons fell within the range of statistical expectation for a player of his ratings.

http://utopia.allsimbaseball9.com/game/lgreports//players/player_12672.html