• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

the NHL Thread

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
Edmonton's off-season needs are the same as they were when Holland took over (which is not a good thing): legit starter, one or two top six wingers that can actually score, and a defenseman who can bail out Nurse when he does something dumb. And they have no draft picks of consequence and no cap space with a good amount of dead weight on the roster. Looking at Kane and Yamamoto mostly. Skinner will get better, but it's time to give the Bakersfield kids a shot. Don't have much of a choice.

Edmonton's off-season needs are the same as they were when Holland took over (which is not a good thing): legit starter, one or two top six wingers that can actually score, and a defenseman who can bail out Nurse when he does something dumb. And they have no draft picks of consequence and no cap space with a good amount of dead weight on the roster. Looking at Kane and Yamamoto mostly. Skinner will get better, but it's time to give the Bakersfield kids a shot. Don't have much of a choice.
I don't know whose situation is worse - Edmonton or Philly. No one expects the Flyers to do shit with their roster, coaches, etc. Edmonton has two of the top five players on the planet and can't get out of round 2. Fuck me, that's depressing.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
I don't know whose situation is worse - Edmonton or Philly. No one expects the Flyers to do shit with their roster, coaches, etc. Edmonton has two of the top five players on the planet and can't get out of round 2. Fuck me, that's depressing.

Yeah, Edmonton has a few contracts that really hamstring them. Draisaitl is actually an amazing value, but Nurse's contract is SO bad. Dude is not a top d-man. And he can't be moved. Yamo should have been traded instead of Puljujarvi, but who would have taken that TWINK?

The Bottom 6 is actually pretty decent now, though, but they have a few guys that will be hard to pay. Bouchard has played his way into a payday, too. Campbell was a risk worth taking given the goaltender situation, just not at $5 million a year. For every solid move Holland has made in his tenure, he's made two or three bad ones to offset it. I'm hoping the Steve Staios hire means he's the next GM, and soon. He did great work in Hamilton. McDavid and Draisaitl aren't getting any younger and scuttlebutt is the leading bidder for Ottawa wants to bring Staios on, so the Oilers need to shit or get off the pot

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
Man I hope they hire Chiarelli. He only made it harder for McDavid to have a solid cast around him and made his contention window much smaller and more fragile.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
Got five series winners right and two series lengths. Not bad.

Toronto vs. Florida - Leafs in 7
Carolina vs. New Jersey - Canes in 7

Dallas vs. Seattle - Stars in 6
Vegas vs. Edmonton - Knights in 7

Three winners and no lengths. Oh well.

Carolina vs. Florida - Canes in 6
Vegas vs. Dallas - Knights in 5

Only team left that I might cheer for is Dallas because of my half AZN brother Jason Robertson but otherwise, meh. If Florida didn't have Matthew Tkachuk I could cheer for them. Vegas is full of shitbirds and Carolina denied Edmonton in 2006.

CJ_24

Three winners and no lengths. Oh well.

Carolina vs. Florida - Canes in 6
Vegas vs. Dallas - Knights in 5

Only team left that I might cheer for is Dallas because of my half AZN brother Jason Robertson but otherwise, meh. If Florida didn't have Matthew Tkachuk I could cheer for them. Vegas is full of shitbirds and Carolina denied Edmonton in 2006.
FLORIDA MAN over Carolina in 7
SLASH Vegas over Dallas in 5

Rooting for Dallas because Pavelski and Suter are from Wisconsin and Oettinger is from MN. Plus I'm out on Vegas after Pietrangelo cheap shot

Schauwn

I'm not saying they'll win the series, but Dallas was 3-0 vs Vegas in the regular season, so I dont see them getting bounced in 5 games is all. I'd say the series will go 6 or 7.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
Edmonton was 3-0-1 against Vegas, too. But Edmonton's shortcomings on the blue line and at 5v5 sunk them in the playoffs, along with dumb penalties. Dallas just needs to convert the chances the Oilers didn't.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
If the arena doesn't get approved, what loops is Bettman going to jump through to keep them in the desert instead of moving them to a market that will support them? Or just contracting them altogether?

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
So if Bettman doesn't pull some shit out of his ass at the last minute, the Coyotes are relocating.

Most likely candidates:

1a. Houston
1b. Salt Lake City

Lots of rumblings about the owner of the Jazz getting something done. Houston because it's the largest North American market without a team and Bettman loves trying to make hockey work in the south. Both have arenas already with Salt Lake potentially building a new one for the 2030 or 2034 Winter Olympics.

Longer shots in no order:

Kansas City
Atlanta
Milwaukee
Quebec City
Hamilton
Saskatoon

Kansas City has the unoccupied Sprint Center and the Power and Light District but supposedly little corporate support. Atlanta has already failed twice but last time was mostly due to terrible ownership, while the wealthy suburban Forsyth County is trying to build an arena to lure a team. Wisconsin loves hockey and Milwaukee has a new arena but not sure if Chicago would be okay with it. Quebec has an NHL-ready arena and tons of fan support but Bettman would rather eat his own shit. Hamilton would likely be blocked by Toronto and Buffalo even if that region is heavily populated. Saskatoon would have fan support but no money.

Personally I would love to see the return of the Nordiques but I really don't see that happening.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
So if Bettman doesn't pull some shit out of his ass at the last minute, the Coyotes are relocating.

Most likely candidates:

1a. Houston
1b. Salt Lake City

Lots of rumblings about the owner of the Jazz getting something done. Houston because it's the largest North American market without a team and Bettman loves trying to make hockey work in the south. Both have arenas already with Salt Lake potentially building a new one for the 2030 or 2034 Winter Olympics.

Kansas City
Atlanta
Milwaukee
Quebec City
Hamilton
Saskatoon

Kansas City has the unoccupied Sprint Center and the Power and Light District but supposedly little corporate support. Atlanta has already failed twice but last time was mostly due to terrible ownership, while the wealthy suburban Forsyth County is trying to build an arena to lure a team. Wisconsin loves hockey and Milwaukee has a new arena but not sure if Chicago would be okay with it. Quebec has an NHL-ready arena and tons of fan support but Bettman would rather eat his own shit. Hamilton would likely be blocked by Toronto and Buffalo even if that region is heavily populated. Saskatoon would have fan support but no money.

Personally I would love to see the return of the Nordiques but I really don't see that happening.

you are missing

CHENANGO

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
Gives the league a year to find a way to try to keep them there. Maybe two years since that's how long the lease runs anyway.

CJ_24

Most likely candidates:

1a. Houston
1b. Salt Lake City

Kansas City
Atlanta
Milwaukee
Quebec City
Hamilton
Saskatoon

Yeah, Idk about that. I grew up in Wisconsin and hockey was not a thing. Growing up it was football, baseball, basketball, in that order. Basically had no idea hockey existed until I moved to Minnesota.

I'm not even sure how many people really cared about the Badgers. The Wild/former Northstars may as well have not existed

CJ_24

I thought college hockey was big in Wisconsin. Guess I was mistaken.
I'm sure there are pockets of hockey fans in the bigger, eastern metro areas. But it was not a thing in the areas where I grew up. And compared to how ever-present it is everywhere in Minnesota, it might as well have not existed. Maybe it has changed in the last decade or so, idk. All I can say fron my experience is that I didn't meet a single hockey fan until I moved Minnesota. Even Badger hockey highlights were an afterthought on the local news when I was growing up. And I don't recall them ever showing Wild highlights (and we were near Minnesota!).

I say all that to say that I just don't see Wisconsin being able to support an NHL hockey team. Maybe they'd get a team and it would change? But from my personal experience I just don't see it.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
I don't think they're high on Bettman's list anyway. I've just seen some people on the interwebs mention them. I still think the Yotes somehow find a way to stay somewhere in the Valley. After that, SLC or Houston. I'd imagine the league would rather get a huge expansion fee out of Houston, though.

CJ_24

I don't think they're high on Bettman's list anyway. I've just seen some people on the interwebs mention them. I still think the Yotes somehow find a way to stay somewhere in the Valley. After that, SLC or Houston. I'd imagine the league would rather get a huge expansion fee out of Houston, though.
Whatever the right decision is, I am confident that Bettman will make the wrong decision