• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

SEC Thread

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
Seems like every year South Carolina back-up QB is a walk-on, or former walk-on.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Seems like every year South Carolina back-up QB is a walk-on, or former walk-on.

You would think getting QB's would be a problem when the coach is a former Heisman winner and has coaches them too. His offense is simple and puts up good stats for QB's too when he has a capable one.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Watching the Bama game now (went to JSU vs. Chattanooga last night). Kiffin's offense looks great this year. The media may need to rewrite their story on Saban bringing in Chad Morris to learn how to defend Ohio State. I think they brought him in to learn how to run their offense.

First few drives have been split zone, counter, screens, and play action over the top out of the pistol and gun. Bama could put on scarlet and gray, and I'd swear Urban was on the sidelines.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
Watching the Bama game now (went to JSU vs. Chattanooga last night). Kiffin's offense looks great this year. The media may need to rewrite their story on Saban bringing in Chad Morris to learn how to defend Ohio State. I think they brought him in to learn how to run their offense.

First few drives have been split zone, counter, screens, and play action over the top out of the pistol and gun. Bama could put on scarlet and gray, and I'd swear Urban was on the sidelines.

Did not see much of the 2nd half, but Coker looked solid. Should be a typically strong Bama team. Derrick Henry? Oh my!

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Coker made some throws that looks AJ-esque. Compared to Bateman, I'm not even sure how we have a QB competition. He didn't make a poor read all game. Very polished QB that deserves to play after transferring from FSU and sitting last year.

Craig7835

Malzahn needs to bench Jeremy Johnson.he is NOT that good of QB.Why would he still throw to a man that was triple covered when he could've thrown to the check down route? Like Joey Galloway said earlier,he needs to learn fundamentals

Last edited:

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Malzahn needs to bench Josh Johnson.he is NOT that good of QB.Why would he still to a man that was triple covered when he could've thrown to the check down route? Like Joey Galloway said earlier,he needs to learn fundamentals

Agreed. Johnson came in WAY overhyped. I saw nothing today that was impressive. Even Auburn fans said our 3rd year QB was better - and he has another year left.

BamaRedwingsFan

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
View attachment 1671

Suck it, Barners! I was in attendance today, and it was hilarious to see 87,000 people watch in horror.
5abd374c4a5d619036fc23378b1e7309.jpg

I know it just looks like the forgot to take down the old scoreboard, but damn what a waste of screen to use that old theme

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
Can't wait until they fire Les Miles. He is just wasting talent

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
And the three straight run plays, including one on 3rd and 6. They got scared they were going to blow it and they did.

Brick

i hate jsu more than any team now. i dont care about the kneeling. they lost it when they could have gone for it on 4th and short and won the game on a single play when their offense rolled almost all second half. auburn had one timeout like left and with 2 minutes left jsu almost assuredly would have salted it away. could have had one of the greatest upsets in college football history if they made a 50/50 play. instead they played for overtime, which would have been the worst case anyway if they didnt make the 4th. worst call of the year, and probably wont be topped.

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
i hate jsu more than any team now. i dont care about the kneeling. they lost it when they could have gone for it on 4th and short and won the game on a single play when their offense rolled almost all second half. auburn had one timeout like left and with 2 minutes left jsu almost assuredly would have salted it away. could have had one of the greatest upsets in college football history if they made a 50/50 play. instead they played for overtime, which would have been the worst case anyway if they didnt make the 4th. worst call of the year, and probably wont be topped.
You don't understand..They scored a TD and Auburn was forced to show it on their NEW SCOREBOARD. ROFLMAO

Reel

Community Liaison
I really hate les miles on the field post game interview.

They may as well not even have a qb on the roster. They only use him to hand the ball off. I was thinking the other day about all the offensive weapons this guy has had over the years and doesn't have anything to show for it.

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni

They may as well not even have a qb on the roster. They only use him to hand the ball off. I was thinking the other day about all the offensive weapons this guy has had over the years and doesn't have anything to show for it.
[xtable]
{tbody}
{tr}
{th=colspan:2}Championships{/th}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=colspan:2}1 National (2007)
2 SEC (2007, 2011)
3 SEC Western Division (2005, 2007, 2011){/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
Im interested to see how the next 2 weeks shakes out for Florida. I think Grier has clearly been the better QB and the rotation shit has got to stop soon. Could easily see UF go 4-0 or 2-2.

Craig7835

LSU hasn't had a good QB since Saban was there.What is the purpose of Les having QB in a RUN based offense? I thought when he brought Cam Cameron in,the offense would show signs of improvement in the passing game but when you have a QB who can only understand the playbook of how to rob someone/breaking & entering,then yeah your passing offense will forever be the drizzlin' shits. Hell @PSUEagle could easily land that LSU QB coach job/Offensive coordinator job.

Reel

Community Liaison
LSU hasn't had a good QB since Saban was there.What is the purpose of Les having QB in a RUN based offense? I thought when he brought Cam Cameron in,the offense would show signs of improvement in the passing game but when you have a QB who can only understand the playbook of how to rob someone/breaking & entering,then yeah your passing offense will forever be the drizzlin' shits. Hell @PSUEagle could easily land that LSU QB coach job/Offensive coordinator job.
I thought mettenberger was easily Flynn or Mauck 2.0. Miles never put him in a position to succeed until they got Cameron as the OC which was his last year and I think statistically his best and it showed on the field.

My thing is, why does he keep recruiting these talented receivers when the only time they get to showcase their talents is when they are playing from behind? He never uses the pass to set up the run. Run da baw is all he know.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?

Yeah, it was hella conservative. Last week, we went for it on forth down a ton and got it, but we were able to run up the middle for big gains. Not so much against Auburn. It's one of those 50/50 calls. Can't fault the coach for that after calling the rest of the game perfectly. After all, he was a high school coach just three years ago. He reminds me a lot of Chad Morris & Art Briles. Except he didn't go for it. They totally would have.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I'm curious, @Reel, do you really think LSU would be better without Miles? It's not a historically great program. Realistically, it's probably behind Bama, Georgia, Florida, and Tennessee in terms of historical SEC powers (Florida since the 90s, but still better than LSU since then). LSU had 5 conference championships between WWII and the 2000s. You can thank Saban and Miles for making LSU into a national power. LSU makes the wrong decision with the next coach and they're back to behind second tier, or worse, in the SEC. Miles isn't a spectacular coach, but he'll keep that team above 8 wins every season, and get to 10 wins most years. Unless you are Saban or Meyer, that is pretty damn good.

Plus, no Miles means no more of this:

Reel

Community Liaison
I'm curious, @Reel, do you really think LSU would be better without Miles? It's not a historically great program. Realistically, it's probably behind Bama, Georgia, Florida, and Tennessee in terms of historical SEC powers (Florida since the 90s, but still better than LSU since then). LSU had 5 conference championships between WWII and the 2000s. You can thank Saban and Miles for making LSU into a national power. LSU makes the wrong decision with the next coach and they're back to behind second tier, or worse, in the SEC. Miles isn't a spectacular coach, but he'll keep that team above 8 wins every season, and get to 10 wins most years. Unless you are Saban or Meyer, that is pretty damn good.

I honestly dont know how they would be without him, but one thing i do know is at the very least, he can recruit, but it hasnt translated into National Championships. Now, had they had the playoff system implemented a few years back, maybe they are in contention for a few more, and at that point, I cant ask for anything more, but (and im going off the top of my head...no google) i remember him losing close games to Bama or Arkansas where those games would;ve put them in better situations towards a title run and they lost those games b/c of very questionable coaching decisions by him

and idk about historical relevance either tbh. Look at how great Notre Dame used to be and they cant get from under that shadow. How has them being great in the past helped them today? You can make your own history and stop worshiping teams from the past. They aint walking through that door. Im comparing Miles to his contemporaries, and while 8-10 wins keeps him with a job, he hasnt really taken the program to another level.

but im probably the wrong person to have this convo with tho

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I honestly dont know how they would be without him, but one thing i do know is at the very least, he can recruit, but it hasnt translated into National Championships. Now, had they had the playoff system implemented a few years back, maybe they are in contention for a few more, and at that point, I cant ask for anything more, but (and im going off the top of my head...no google) i remember him losing close games to Bama or Arkansas where those games would;ve put them in better situations towards a title run and they lost those games b/c of very questionable coaching decisions by him

and idk about historical relevance either tbh. Look at how great Notre Dame used to be and they cant get from under that shadow. How has them being great in the past helped them today? You can make your own history and stop worshiping teams from the past. They aint walking through that door. Im comparing Miles to his contemporaries, and while 8-10 wins keeps him with a job, he hasnt really taken the program to another level.

but im probably the wrong person to have this convo with tho

Miles won a national championship, and got to another against a team he had already beaten. It's not exactly easy to win a single national championship, let alone two. I just hate this 10 wins a year isn't good enough crap. We said that at Michigan under Carr. And then Carr left and we've spent a decade wandering the desert. It's just not that easy to get a coach that wins 10 games a year (which is basically what Miles has averaged at LSU).

Historical relevance is just something to look at. Barring a shift in demographics making a state's recruiting better (Florida), teams will trend to their historical stature, in my opinion. My point is that being a consistent top 15 program like LSU can vanish in an instant. And you only have to look to their past record to see how LSU was mediocre. In other words, would you rather be LSU with Miles, or Michigan/Texas right now?

Brick

I'd much rather have a coach like Miles or Mack Brown or Jimbo who brings in great talent from their state and "underachieves" with it than someone like Mark Richt. Unless you're going to get one of the 1337 coaches like Saban and Meyer, always opt for the better recruiter at a big state school. Clemson is a good example.

PSUEagle

@Brick I think Richt also recruits well. And to be fair to him, as basic as their offense is it's usually been pretty productive over the years. Unlike Miles, he at least has a vision for how he wants to play on offense and sticks with it. I do think UGA is arguably the best job in the conference (Georgia produced the fifth most NFL players of any state and they have no real instate competition for them) and should have won a MNC by now. I could see Jeremy Pruitt taking over in a few years and killing it.

Miles' biggest problem is that he's unwilling to live with the growing pains associated with opening up his offense and the passing game. It's not a coincidence that the only two years he's had a good offense (2007 and 2013) he had senior QB's who had already been through the wars. Cam Cameron is a decent college OC IMO, but it's clear that ol' grass eater handcuffs what he can do: over the last couple years all of the stuff they did well with Mettenberger (throwing over the middle) has disappeared..

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
I'd much rather have a coach like Miles or Mack Brown or Jimbo who brings in great talent from their state and "underachieves" with it than someone like Mark Richt. Unless you're going to get one of the 1337 coaches like Saban and Meyer, always opt for the better recruiter at a big state school. Clemson is a good example.

@PSUEagle said it, but I was about to mention that Richt is basically in the same category as the ones mentioned, except for the fact that Georgia has never been to the big dance (with Richt), let alone won it. Recruits well, always has a stacked roster, regularly sends players to the NFL, consistently in the preseason Top 10 rankings, but has yet to break through with an elite season.

Lightningwar

Administrator

Plus, no Miles means no more of this:

That is the thing about any of these programs. The grass is always greener on the other side. How many times in the past have big time programs fired a successful coach that just couldnt get that national championship. Only to replace him with a guy who ends up losing a lot. In the past 10ish years I can think of Nebraska, Tenn, Miami ect. In the past 25 years Colorado, Notre Dame. None of those programs have been anything like they used to be since trying to chase the dream.

On a side note Denver and San Fran are going to be glorious implosions this year after firing successful coaches because they believed another guy could take the last step. Though I will admit San Fran is probably more complicated than just not winning the big game.