• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Reel Report OOTP Edition: San Francisco Tanners

ZackMills

Have mercy
Goooooooooood for yoooooooooouuuuuuuu

I thought you'd be happy for me.

tumblr_m5bcg0COfw1rxh23oo1_500.gif

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
You still have a lot of un-fucking to do, but I like where you are headed with the Tanners. Honestly I think you have a much higher ceiling than the riggers as you have some real superstars coming up. Adding role players won't be hard once all of @Reel's horrible contracts expire.

ZackMills

Have mercy
So would I have gotten better overall production out of Lomond at 2B instead of Hong/Conner? I'm hoping Vazquez is ready after next season, so I just need a stopgap for a year, maybe two.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I'm not sure, that 45 contact rating is usually a killer, so I'd expect him to hit around .220, which he did, but he'd have at least played really good defense (likely better than Conner). As long as he plays that 80 level defense he should project as a slightly +WAR player, but I'd never recommend playing someone with a projected .220 AVG unless you are completely stuck with them due to injury or whatever (like I was with TAGG). Lomond is a guy I'd give a roster spot as a minimum salary defensive sub and utility player, but that's about it.

Ratings wise, Al Conner should be a very good player, but he's never really played to his ratings and his .220 batting average last year was more what you'd expect out of a 45 contact player instead of a 60 contact player. He's still got a relatively small pro sample size, so he could play up to his ratings eventually, but I'd only give him one more chance.

If Connor is back next season, I'd give him one more year as the starter, otherwise I'd be looking for a stop gap via either FA or trade.

ZackMills

Have mercy
If Connor is back next season, I'd give him one more year as the starter, otherwise I'd be looking for a stop gap via either FA or trade.

I was going to do exactly this before you shit on him with your Trog award :laughing: I keep looking at his ratings and saying he should be at least league average (which I'll take from 2B), but he just doesn't produce close to them.

I suppose I could give him another shot and have Lomond as my backup plan.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
The Coral trade is almost complete. Just got to pick my third rounder before we analyze it. FYI, Zachary Mills had a great season in AA :laughing:
I actually liked Mills as a prospect. You should win this trade long term, but I liked the move for both of us.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I was going to do exactly this before you shit on him with your Trog award :laughing: I keep looking at his ratings and saying he should be at least league average (which I'll take from 2B), but he just doesn't produce close to them.

I suppose I could give him another shot and have Lomond as my backup plan.

I think sometimes players just get off on the wrong foot and then get a long "cold" streak and just never break out of it and way under perform for a season. If they aren't at the age where you are worried about them declining due to it being the twilight of their career, it might be worth seeing if it was just a one year anomaly. He really should hit at least .250+, even if his "60" contact rating is WAY off and he's more like a 50.

That's what happened to Caden Trail for me in 2049. He started out cold and then even when I'd try to rotate him into the lineup (because he should have been good) he'd just play even worse. He ended up hitting .183 for the season when he'd usually been more of a .240 guy (average in rigger stadium). I let him walk because he was a borderline trog star and he ended up performing pretty well for @Lloyd Carr this season.

ZackMills

Have mercy
He definitely started off cold (I thought @Gooksta was joking/being an ass when he proposed a trade for him), so I sent him off to AAA to get right (he tore up AAA) and he just continued the cold streak when he returned.

In hindsight, I really should have pulled the trigger on that trade. Not because he ended up sucking, but because his news section would have been awesome

Signed with SF for one year deal
Traded to KW
Signed with SF for one year deal
Traded to KW

:laughing:

ZackMills

Have mercy
3) When it comes to draft picks, I am so stubborn and hate giving up on guys that i have drafted. Osi, you mentioned my catcher Compton. Compton has been pretty meh regardless of what league i've put him in, but i dont wanna admit I may have drafted a bust, so i keep him.

Compton does God in the minors but his production drops in the majors. Maybe I rushed him in the past. Idk

The two posts above were made a month apart about this young man. I now think it is plausible that @Reel was running this team with someone else and that mystery man was allowed to post here.

Reel, maybe you did rush Compton by starting him in AAA. Or maybe it was demoting him to AA after his second year in AAA after he posted 100+ RC+ (and got a cup of coffee in the WBL). Or maybe it was the demotion to A in his fifth professional year that truly crushed his spirits.

Explain yourself!

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
That one is my new favorite I think :laughing: The best part is he took it in stride when he was demoted the first time, and relatively in stride when he was demoted to A. What a trooper.

ZackMills

Have mercy
It looks like 2045 was the year @Reel put him in the doghouse. Only 46 appearances between A and AA with no injuries. This is the first I've noticed that. I just figured the constant curious promotions/demotions were his version of the doghouse.

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
Whenever I get bored of the riggers at some point, I'm going to let @Reel go ham on my minor league system.
It looks like 2045 was the year @Reel put him in the doghouse. Only 46 appearances between A and AA with no injuries. This is the first I've noticed that. I just figured the constant curious promotions/demotions were his version of the doghouse.
The two posts above were made a month apart about this young man. I now think it is plausible that @Reel was running this team with someone else and that mystery man was allowed to post here.

Reel, maybe you did rush Compton by starting him in AAA. Or maybe it was demoting him to AA after his second year in AAA after he posted 100+ RC+ (and got a cup of coffee in the WBL). Or maybe it was the demotion to A in his fifth professional year that truly crushed his spirits.

Explain yourself!

GJyRbfY.jpg

osick87

Community Liaison
I could do it this weekend. Although my assumption is going to be

Zack: Why did you _____________

Reel: I dunno

I should be back into doing videos this weekend.

ZackMills

Have mercy
I could do it this weekend. Although my assumption is going to be

Zack: Why did you _____________

Reel: I dunno

I should be back into doing videos this weekend.

Probably for specific players, but there are some patterns I'd like explanations for. Namely:

-Why start high drafted players in AAA? (I've seen this a lot and the CPU ain't doing it, so @Reel can't blame the AI for that)
-Why take these players and demoted them all the way to A (over the course of two years) when they don't produce? Why didn't you see the pattern that these players weren't doing well by starting them too high?
-Why give some high drafted players two or three years in A before promoting them?
-Why did some high drafted players start in AAA while others spent years in A before a promotion?
-What metrics were you using for promotions and demotions?

Reel

Community Liaison
this is the one time i will give any serious answers as I've said this to numerous people since i came back to OOTP.

I DO NOT understand baseball. I'll type it one more time just to drive the point home. I DO NOT understand baseball.

Initially i was trying to run my teams like I would a basketball or football team. If you have a stud, you play him immediately and hope he gets his lumps early, but also hoping, he will work out as a pro. This proved to be a disaster b/c I never took into account how much different HS/COL would be from the WBL with some of these guys, so to answer the question more directly, I drafted a stud early, and started him instead of wasting time in the minors where he could've gotten injured, then we play the waiting game to see if he would ever return to his pre-draft hype/form.

Then, i think it was a combination of JD, Gooksta, maybe Wendell, and JD who would all chime in and offer their pieces of advice.

I think Gooksta was the one who mentioned something about the number of ABs/ in helping to determine as a general rule, when to move someone up. I cant remember what the advice was on pitchers, but i think maybe IP?

-Why take these players and demoted them all the way to A (over the course of two years) when they don't produce? Why didn't you see the pattern that these players weren't doing well by starting them too high?
My thought was these guys were ready day one. When after a season or two, i saw that they werent, i thought moving them down would help them regain their confidence and attributes. Some times they did, but most times they didnt. To me, it just said, they werent as good a prospect as the scout predicted. I just dont see them just bombing like that if they were the real deal.

-Why give some high drafted players two or three years in A before promoting them?
Pretty much the opposite of the previous response. I was afraid that if I moved them too soon, they wouldnt be ready, then stink, therefore, another season picking in the top 5 b/c these guys are obviously not ready to be called up to the WBL

-Why did some high drafted players start in AAA while others spent years in A before a promotion?
a combination of the previous answers

-What metrics were you using for promotions and demotions?
ERA, k/BBs, Batting Avg, and i cant remember the very last stat that sorta functioned as the win share.

My biggest issue(s) was the fact that I:

1) dont understand all the intricacies and nuances with baseball development/team building
2) im not patient enough to see a guy sit in the minors for years before you call him up

I still think its a crap shoot at how this game determines success of a player. I may have not had the best FA classes in the history of the WBL, but I signed a decent guy here an there, and they didnt do jack shit for my club, but they were very good role players or very good players on other people's teams.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I love you reel. Please don't make this a one time thing, I only wish we'd have played in the WBL at the same time. That's half the reason I joined.

ZackMills

Have mercy
Good response Reel. It is a shame someone didn't just say "Give him one year in A. If he achieves [insert stat] move him up. Repeat for AA and AAA."

Reel

Community Liaison
the thought was a year = a certain of AB's. Once that number of ABs was achieved, promoted they go

edit: if the rosters were relatively small, then the number of ABs was increased faster than anticipated. this also had to do with my inability to constantly monitor injuries to the roster

Reel

Community Liaison
one thing that also bothered me about this game was the lack of quality FA. If you are a struggling team who is essentially in draft purgatory, its hard (at least for me) to wait for your picks to amount to anything when in the meantime, you can sign a veteran and hope he fills a void until said prospect is ready to be called up.

This is/was probably one my biggest frustrations and deterrents from continuing to play. I have all this fake money, but no quality people to spend it on. Then, the demand set by these players is super unrealistic imo. How does an aging player, who is on his way out of the league, still request $18M per? WAT?? Then all the good players are constantly locked up by the better teams in the league. You really have to hope you land on some good guys in the draft. Which brings me to another point. The talent pool drops off a gigantic cliff after the 2nd round. You might find a gem in the 3rd, MAYBE the 4th, but not enough prospects that will actually amount to middle of the road talent.

But back to the FA, you try and low ball them or, really pay them what they are worth at that point in their career, and they clam up and cut off negotiations.

And the bump in ratings from international players is laughable. Why even put them in the game if they cant make meaningful contributions. Maybe my expectations are just too high or something, but it amazes me how bad most of the international prospects are. You might find one or two and maybe thats how its supposed to be IRL or something. I honestly dont know, but for a simulation baseball game, it fucking blows.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Lol, IFA are the best source of talent in the game, to an unbalanced extent IMO. It's basically another stacked first round where money reigns supreme.

Reel

Community Liaison
Lol, IFA are the best source of talent in the game, to an unbalanced extent IMO. It's basically another stacked first round where money reigns supreme.

i worded that wrong. I meant your pool of international players in your complex

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I just don't think you were really ever that interested in the game, reel. For that reason, you never properly dove in and tried to understand. I don't blame you, but your posts here are making that pretty clear.