• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Reel Report OOTP Edition: San Francisco Tanners

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
Sup peeps

(WARNING. THIS IS A TL;DR, SO YOU'VE BEEN WARNED)

First off, I would sincerely like to take this opportunity to thank @osick87, @jdlikewhoa, @Gooksta, and @fignuts. Im pretty sure im leaving someone out, but these are the first 4 that come to mind. I would like to thank them for the bits and pieces of knowledge they have shared with me while I've tried to play this game.

I would like to take this time to clarify a few things based on some commentary in the video Osick was so nice to post in your projects thread.

Osi, I watched 12 min of the video. Its not that I didnt like it. I found it very interesting b/c you were spot on about a LOT of things I typically think about when it comes to this game, however, maybe I should've started this thread prior to you making the video b/c I felt some of you criticisms (while honest) were just observations without actually knowing my "plans". I actually lol'd quite a bit just b/c of how accurate some of your statements were. SO, here we go. I should also warn you that some of the things I'm going to share might not make ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE to those of you are more versed in baseball, but I'm sharing these things in hopes that I could get some constructive feedback and to give some insight into how i've tried to view things.

1) I have a hoarding problem. I find these subpar players that i think will just magically get better b/c signed them. I get so frustrated with the current talent on the roster that I will sign like 12 SS just to keep others from signing them in the hopes that maybe a couple will actually turn out to be decent. I might actually play a few of them for an entire season, then if they havent done anything, I will cut them, and play the other people at that position for a season, then wash, rinse, repeat. I also probably keep too many guys on the roster b/c of just terrible luck with injuries so its more of a depth thing as well

2) Osi, you mentioned setting your scouting budget to $20M. I honestly didnt know it could go that high b/c for some reason, I always assumed it maxed out at like $6M, and i remember raising it up to that amount maybe a season ago and for whatever reason, it didnt take, and dropped it down back to like $3M, so i just assumed I did something wrong and never bothered to change it.

3) I typically dont keep a guy who is 23+ on my A minor league team but if I've signed a guy in FA, I may just stash him there until i have the proper time to take a deep look at my roster then make moves accordingly. When it comes to draft picks, I am so stubborn and hate giving up on guys that i have drafted. Osi, you mentioned my catcher Compton. Compton has been pretty meh regardless of what league i've put him in, but i dont wanna admit I may have drafted a bust, so i keep him.

4) I've heard repeatedly, over and over that I cant treat my prospects like how the nba does with theirs, and I know this, yet I still have a habit of bringing up guys too soon and possibly damaging/stunting their growth. I have absolutely ZERO patience when it comes to baseball and player development.

5) I am SUPER cheap, even with fake money. One thing that's always puzzled me about baseball is how they can afford to pay players the money they do which then leads to what i feel what their value is vs. what the market is willing to pay. So i will let a dude walk vs. pay him some (in what i feel) exorbitant amount of money. Simply put, i have not idea on how to value players when it comes to baseball which is why i probably am willing to do trades with just about anyone for some draft picks.

6) I actually love to draft. I've had a couple of convos with different people and even though I lack the knowledge of how baseball works once the prospects get signed, I like finding good value after the fist couple of rounds looking at things that others might not. At least i've convinced myself that no one else looks at this stuff.

For example, at the 10:14 mark in Osi's video, I probably signed that guy b/c his defense attributes at RF were imo just too good to at least not give a shot. His hitting power sucks, but I value eye, gap and avoid's K's higher than hitting power b/c you are more valuable to me if you can get on base either by getting walked or just hitting the ball in play. At least you can get on base and hopefully i have someone after you who can either advance you or bring you home with good ratings in those same attributes. My problem is not knowing when to let that guy go. I keep thinking, maybe just one more season, and he'll get better. Back to that example, the guy has good speed and stealing ability, and he was picked in the 10th round, not by me, but still. I keep thinking he will get it sooner rather than later despite the low number of stars in his rating. Those attributes are at least worth a depth signing right?

7) Also didnt know what short listing meant. Thats a nice feature to have readily available.

8) @Orlando, this is what i was going to write in the Osi Projects thread

Osick was kind enough to look through my team and give me some advice. He said

First attempt at a video was 55 mins of "Jesus Christ this team" and "What the fuck". Going to send that one to Reel and if he lets me post it I will.

Onto a tamer, more polite one.

Then you come with

Lol lets you? Dey ur vidyas brah.

I mean, i take this as a nutopian ribbing so I dont want you to seriously think I was offended by your statement, however, the fact that he respects me enough to ask if I would like it to be viewed by everyone else is awesome imo b/c what if i didnt want you all to see it?

His opening monologue about baseball not even being in my top 3 sports of interest was spot on, so I dont view it with the same passion as you all do, which i stated clearly from the jump when I was asked to join. Dont get me wrong, when time permits and I have the patience to sit down and actually look at stuff, i enjoy playing despite my limited knowledge about the sport, but then if i ever feel played or everyone is laughing at me vs with me, then its no longer fun for me and I would rather take my 5 min a day and do something else.

Here you go. I'm sure i've forgotten something but maybe now that this is out there, i can address any questions/comments any of you may have for me.

Reel

Community Liaison
didnt even make it past the first reply b4 everybody in dis bitch aint having nothing of substance to say

Lloyd Carr

Find players who dont suck in IFA or FA. Trade for players who dont suck. Draft players who dont suck.

Dont rely on "hidden gems" to field a winning team. Just get good players as often as you can.

You dont really need to understand baseball to succeed in this game. You just need to know green and blue are good colors for players skills, and yellow, orange, and red are bad.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Reel just keep asking people things, once you start understanding why things work the way they do you'll get more immersed. @GatorTD taught me how to play, mostly by fleecing me repeatedly until I figured it out. sounds like osi will be nicer.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Find players who dont suck in IFA or FA. Trade for players who dont suck. Draft players who dont suck.

Dont rely on "hidden gems" to field a winning team. Just get good players as often as you can.

You dont really need to understand baseball to succeed in this game. You just need to know green and blue are good colors for players skills, and yellow, orange, and red are bad.

Red is the best for eye though

http://utopia.allsimbaseball9.com/game/lgreports//players/player_5645.html

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Sorry they have no plate discipline but can bomb line drives anyway

Gooksta

Reel does your team have an identity? Does your team have a theme. I ask because it will give you a reason to sign guys/free agents. Do you want to be like 90s braves which relied on pitching and defense? Or like the bash brother athletics that relied on power.. this way you lock down what kind of players you want. Gives your signings a purpose.. instead of, "this guy looks good. I'll sign him I guess?!". You will know what your looking for when looking at guys and make the process easier

Reel

Community Liaison
Reel does your team have an identity? Does your team have a theme. I ask because it will give you a reason to sign guys/free agents. Do you want to be like 90s braves which relied on pitching and defense? Or like the bash brother athletics that relied on power.. this way you lock down what kind of players you want. Gives your signings a purpose.. instead of, "this guy looks good. I'll sign him I guess?!". You will know what your looking for when looking at guys and make the process easier

preciate the question gook, but i know nothing about themes

i guess what my philosophy is, since i dont have the batters, I want to try and limit the other teams chances with pitching and defense so based upon that, i guess your 90's braves comparison is appropriate.

NML

Reel - this sounds harsher than I mean it, but I don't think you know what ur doing. There are a ton of contradictions in ur post, so I'll highlight a few to hopefully help you see where you may want to rethink things. I think Gook was onto something when he mentioned having a team identity - in broader terms, how do YOU want to run your team? You made this comment:

however, maybe I should've started this thread prior to you making the video b/c I felt some of you criticisms (while honest) were just observations without actually knowing my "plans".

But then followed up with a bunch of points and posts signaling that, very obviously, you do not have a plan. Hoarding 12 SS's is not good for your team, for any player, and definitely not for you.

You mentioned that you love to draft - okay, let's run with that. Pump a bunch of money into scouting and player development and bring everything through your system. Don't worry about overpaying because you will set the market for your own guys and they will be completely controlled by you until their 30th birthday or so, if you play it right. If they get to expensive, you can trade them and get more picks that you love. To quote you, "wash, rinse, repeat."

Here's the second thing:

1) I have a hoarding problem.

3) When it comes to draft picks, I am so stubborn and hate giving up on guys that i have drafted.

4) I've heard repeatedly, over and over that I cant treat my prospects like how the nba does with theirs, and I know this, yet I still have a habit of bringing up guys too soon and possibly damaging/stunting their growth. I have absolutely ZERO patience when it comes to baseball and player development.

Okay, #1 and #3 are similar, so good there. But then you talk about how you have no patience for development - well which is it? Are you going to give up on a guy if he's not producing in A by 22? Or, if the ratings are there but not the stats, do you force him along to AA? If someone can't get over the hump in AAA, do you let them walk as a minor league free agent? Or do you throw them on the 40 man to keep him around in hopes that he develops? There isn't a right answer either way, but it's good to have a team concept, like gook spoke about.

Another recommendation I would make that I had trouble with, as a guy who puts baseball pretty low on his sports (I only watch the Sox, although I do watch them around 100 times a year), is learn the roster rules. I had lots of trouble with those because they are unlike anything else in sports. The 40 man, option years, arbitration - learn it all. It may take some time to fully grasp it, but it will help you a lot.

Finally, interact more on the board. I wish I had more time to do so. Keep us up to date on your team - I love reading the team threads, especially those in my conference. I can't go through everyone's roster for a few hours on my laptop, but I do take my phone into the shitter. It'll keep you in the loop about what other teams are doing, which can help you - doh is a great example. Last year, he was very fickle about making a run/selling for a couple sims, so I kept tabs. We had previously had some conversations and when he mentioned "one more good sim and I'm buying" I went ahead and reopened negotiations. A day later he had Hong (who he resigned and I'm sure will do very well) and I had a couple prospects. And trading - definitely get involved. There is a TON of player movement via trades. Especially the stars. Go click on any great player and odds are he's been in the systems of Amsterdam, Helsingsborg, Buenos Aires, and Istanbul.

I hope some of this helps

Reel

Community Liaison
@NML, thanks for the advice

as i said, im sure my approach isnt/wasn't the best. I fully admit i didnt really have a vision and that most of the things you pointed out as contradictions are valid, but remember i said, they weren't going to make sense to more savvy baseball people. My low patience talks me out of a lot of things b/c again, comparing baseball the basketball, it is very possible i can get instant production from a young prospect right away in basketball vs. putting him in some farm system and just keeping an eye on him to see how he is doing in baseball. I am trying to get out of this line of thinking b/c i do understand the sprint vs. the marathon which baseball is all about the marathon.

again, my hoarding of players was mainly me not knowing when to cut bait vs just signing guys just to sign them.

but i really appreciate the perspective

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
My advice is to go with the @Lloyd Carr plan over @Gooksta because it's a lot easier to just find good players than look for a specific type. Maybe in a few seasons look for the specific type. As for easy strategies I'd employ if I was in your situation:

1. Take on salary... you already did this but when your team is bad and you have a lot of space, take on salary if they attach picks/prospects like the NBA does.

2. Shed shitty salary that you can... for instance, Claude Blanc making $8m off arb, Paek making $4m... you don't need those guys and they have no trade value. Just dump them and clear the $12m so you can take on salary. You also have a few other not good players making more than a $1m. Use that money elsewhere.

3. IFA... If I were in a situation like yours, every other year (because of the rules), I'd just go all out on IFA buying up as many players as I could. Maybe one huge $10m guys and a bunch of other $500k-$1m guys.

4. Scour Minor League FAs... I do this a lot and have gathered a ton of 1.5-2* potential guys hoping a couple work out and I think you do this too. Also there are usually some decent fringe WBL players who are MLFAs that given a chance might be decent.

5. Sign good vets to one-year deals... Check out the haul Lisbon got for Eric Stuut who he signed for a one-year deal from me. There are other examples like Berlin flipping Pottenger last year but there's a lot of value in using your cap space to sign a good WBL vet to a one-year deal then trading them away for picks/prospects.

Gooksta

telling
preciate the question gook, but i know nothing about themes

i guess what my philosophy is, since i dont have the batters, I want to try and limit the other teams chances with pitching and defense so based upon that, i guess your 90's braves comparison is appropriate.
Ok. This is a starting point. Grabbing good defensive players could be a great start. Put em in your lineups and see what effect they have. Then when you learn how it helps you can organically start making opinions about other things..example.. ok this guy is a great glove but his offense sucks.. so maybe I can slightly decrease defensive ratings for more offense.. Then you learn/ get a better grasp of what type of players you will like and what to look for to get exactly what ur looking for..minor leagues is a great place to experiment things..

Not everyone is gonna be a superstar. So finding productive players to fit certain needs are a huge benefit. Just because a guy is a 1star player doesn't mean they all suck.. a lot of guys do certain things well.. Knowing what you want/need can help you scratch out wins.

@doh. Reel understanding a value of mid to low level players Is I think reels biggest need.

Last edited:

osick87

Community Liaison
One thing I didn't talk about is Park Factors. If you're just starting out, building to your home diamond's strengths is a way to start out trying to get value out of guys.

My advice is to go with the @Lloyd Carr plan over @Gooksta because it's a lot easier to just find good players than look for a specific type. Maybe in a few seasons look for the specific type. As for easy strategies I'd employ if I was in your situation:

Don't disagree with this but at the level @Reel is at it might be useful to sort of have a type of player to look for and build out from there.

1. Take on salary... you already did this but when your team is bad and you have a lot of space, take on salary if they attach picks/prospects like the NBA does.

Agreed. The last few offseasons Reel has had money so he definitely can do it. I know when I picked up Artac and Beanpole from Jd, Reel was rattled that he couldn't be part of the deal

2. Shed shitty salary that you can... for instance, Claude Blanc making $8m off arb, Paek making $4m... you don't need those guys and they have no trade value. Just dump them and clear the $12m so you can take on salary. You also have a few other not good players making more than a $1m. Use that money elsewhere.

This can be harder. Ain't nobody going to take Blanc without making Reel paying them a ton back which is counter productive. I guess the way to make it work is that Reel eats 16 mil in bad salary and gives up Blanc. Although this lowers the value of the prospects/picks Reel gets back.

Edit: Just noticed that you said that you can. Blanc may be a tougher sell but I could see Paek being somebody Reel can dump in a deadline deal if his peripheral stats (FIP mainly) are good.

3. IFA... If I were in a situation like yours, every other year (because of the rules), I'd just go all out on IFA buying up as many players as I could. Maybe one huge $10m guys and a bunch of other $500k-$1m guys.

Agree 100%

4. Scour Minor League FAs... I do this a lot and have gathered a ton of 1.5-2* potential guys hoping a couple work out and I think you do this too. Also there are usually some decent fringe WBL players who are MLFAs that given a chance might be decent.

Another part where I agree with you

5. Sign good vets to one-year deals... Check out the haul Lisbon got for Eric Stuut who he signed for a one-year deal from me. There are other examples like Berlin flipping Pottenger last year but there's a lot of value in using your cap space to sign a good WBL vet to a one-year deal then trading them away for picks/prospects.

Again I agree. Stuut was a bit of a different case since Lisbon was given an extended period of signing guys but your point still stands.

Last edited:

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
This can be harder. Ain't nobody going to take Blanc without making Reel paying them a ton back which is counter productive. I guess the way to make it work is that Reel eats 16 mil in bad salary and gives up Blanc. Although this lowers the value of the prospects/picks Reel gets back.
Edit: Just noticed that you said that you can. Blanc may be a tougher sell but I could see Paek being somebody Reel can dump in a deadline deal if his peripheral stats (FIP mainly) are good.
Those guys were arb... I should've put "non-tender" them but that's a ton of savings.

Reel

Community Liaison
Oh I knew Blanc was Arb and I knew @Reel wasn't paying attention when Blanc got Arb.
i cant lie, i checked out after it was evident i wasnt winning more games than i had the previous season, although @jdlikewhoa is usually pretty good at hitting me up in hangouts to tell me what period of the season we are in.

I blame him

Reactions: doh

osick87

Community Liaison
As for Compton, you had a guy on your WBL team that was putrid In Spitsbaard. At that point when a player is performing poorly, what do you have to lose bringing Compton up and trying him out.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Reel, you should play football manager instead. Signing 100s of 14 year old s to cheap contacts actually works out ok in that game!