• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Reel Report OOTP Edition: San Francisco Tanners

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I ran the numbers on his FRED deal and I project he will pay $2.6M/WAR for Fred's career services. Not too shabby.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Probably a little less because he was having a down season while transitioning to 1B. I'm sure his struggles last year made Zackmills a little hesitant about his long term plans and that cost him a bit (The same thing happened to me with Carter Gibson. Could have signed his arb years at $3M the year before, now he's at $6M) Still, I think he's an elite player and is the type of guy you don't want to let go via free agency because your fan interest would take a big hit.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Me ripping off any shtick that Yankee creates and running it into the ground ten times over is my favorite shtick.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I am trying to model my organizational pay structure like @Orlando because he seems to have this shit figured out.

With the contract he just signed HAMMER HARRIS to as a great example. He'll have paid rigger Harris a total of about 7M for 15 WARS in 3 seasons. Then he signed him to a 6 year/66M extension. That means even if he only averages 2.5 WAR/Season (Half his current rate) Orlando will still be paying him less than $2.5M/WAR for his time as a HAMMER. In all likelihood, he'll average 3-4 WAR over that time and Orlando will have paid him less that 2M/WAR

http://utopia.allsimbaseball9.com/game/lgreports//players/player_9024.html

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I over pay plenty of players too though. Weber and Guti aren't worth their contracts at this point.

Wolfman21

outfielders.gif

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
I had him cranked all the way on high last year on the SB game strategy. Cut him down a bit this year since his percentage wasn't as good and I figured he'll be more likely to get hurt running around like an asshole out there.

Screw that, go all in

Wolfman21

I'm not Travis, but karshev alone is worth that deal as long as he reaches his potential. Finding catchers that can hit that we'll and play defense that well is like finding a unicorn. Every team almost has a coral. Jmo

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Lets see... Coral is coming off his worst year, but that's probably because Orlando's boys were depressed last season... He did have two really nice years so far, though. I would imagine his long term trend will put him below 1.25 WHIP, ERA+ over 135, and FIP in the low 3s. A very solid #2 type pitcher but probably not a perennial all star. Orlando has him locked down until 2057 at $4.3M per year, which is good in general but not great for an arb deal. An arb contract that high tells me Coral is probably going to be a pretty expensive player to keep when it comes time to extend. Still, getting a pitcher like this, especially when he's been one of the best pitching prospects in the post 2048 draft world, is worth a lot.

Zachary Mills had a good season last year, but I imagine that will be toward the top end of what he's capable of... Though I assume he'll get plenty of opportunities! Carlos Vázquez projects as a solid starter at 2B and I'd guess he moves into that 2-2.5 WAR range on average. Blockhead looks like a decent pitcher relief pitcher (or maybe an SP in your system?). It is hard to place value on guys like this because RP of his potential are available on a yearly basis in FA and don't cost all that much. He'll have decent value for his 490k years and if you can get him under contract for under a million that'll be nice. The downside is he hasn't really pitched well in the minors yet. Probably hard to tell. The real big piece of the puzzle is Karshev, but it is still too early to call this one a win either. If he turns into an the all star catcher that his potential shows, then you can view this trade as a nice success. If he busts

So in summary:
Hel got a good young #2 pitcher. This would be a better deal had Orlando been able to lock him down for $2M or less during his arb years, but he's still pitched 2 good years and one decent year so far.

SF got a decent RP prospect, a #4 or #5 SP, a solid starting 2B and an elite C prospect.

I think it was a win win trade in that Orlando already had a good system in general and could afford to move a number of guys who probably would have never seen WBL time for him, in order to secure one of the best prospects at a premium position. Vasquez, Mills, and Blockhead probably wouldn't have seen much WBL time for HEL (maybe Vasquez) so he didn't lose much there. Swapping CORAL for KARSHEV is pretty even in that they were both great prospects at premium positions. SF was able to play the numbers game and secure multiple starters (which they needed) and also secure a premium prospect on a better timeline for them (would Coral have mattered to you in 2051 and 2052?). I'd say SF got more value, but that's also because they were starting with more needs. If Karshev is an ALL STAR then the value tips towards SF. If he busts, it tips toward HEL.

I bet both parties are happy with the trade.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Honestly trading you Zack Mills was almost more motivation to get that trade done than getting Coral.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
My take on the trade is pretty much the same now as it was then. Vazquez was prize for Mills and he would have definitely seen playing time in Borg. For me, I had extra draft picks and needed a SP since I sold mine for other needs. Coral looked to be an ace at the time. He has regressed, but is still a solid pitcher and a bargain under $5m no matter what @Travis7401 says :laughing: