• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Oregon @ Michigan State

Brick

@MSUFanatic

I watched most of the Michigan State game, and all of Oregon's. Some things I'm looking for.

- MSU is missing Lippett at WR. Had more than double the yards, catches, TDs of any other receiver last year. Their talent at WR looks great and I think they'll get much better very quickly, but timing was off on a lot of "simple" throws in their system, especially at the sticks (48.4 completion %) that would have been sure things last year. The offense just never looked consistently comfortable in the pass game that I saw.

Probably had a lot to do with it being the first game, new roles, playing on the road. Oregon plays bend-but-not-break in the pass game so Cook will have to make some difficult timing throws on 2nd/3rd downs. That is the key to the game on offense for MSU. I think their run game will have mixed success against Oregon's defense.

Oregon still looks like they'll struggle to get to the QB this year. One sack on Eastern Washington on 55 attempts. Cook will have time to throw, just as he did last year for most of the game. Oregon's secondary is all freshman and sophomores with the exception of Reggie Daniels. There will be many opportunities for big plays.

I am just hoping MSU is stubborn with the run game Saturday. Oregon should be able to hold serve there. They won't shut MSU down there, but should be able to make enough plays to make the passing game important on third downs.

- When Oregon has the ball, I think how MSU defends the run game is the key. It was Eastern Washington, but Oregon's run game went for 485 yards (8.51 YPC) and I thought Royce Freeman showed marked improvement from last year. Oregon didn't run for more than 301 yards in any game last year. Royce was big last year, but looks more athletic now and definitely one of the best running backs in the country. I bet he will get 25+ carries. Adams ran the ball well too, and the two backups (Beniot and Brooks-James) looked ready.

Michigan State was strong against Western Michigan (18 yards on 23 attempts) and I was really impressed by the athleticism and size of their front. Will they be able to break through and get TFLs and put Adams in situations where he has to make plays with his feet or make risky throws?

Adams did not turn the ball over much at all at Eastern Washington, but he looked excitable at times Saturday and fumbled on a run, as well as throwing a ball that should have been picked. Oregon should be able to move it very well, but turnovers could be an issue.

- Michigan State's biggest issue against teams with offensive talent like Oregon is giving up huge gains in the passing game. Against that type of competition last year:

Oregon went 17/28 for 318 yards and a 3/0 ratio
Ohio State went 16/26 for 300 yards and a 3/0 ratio
Baylor went 37/52 for 603 yards and a 4/1 ratio
TOTALS: 70/106 (66%) for 1221 yards and 10/1 ratio

Oy.

Western Michigan had some good success in the air last week - 33/50 for 365 yards and a 2/2 ratio.

I think Adams can put up very good numbers against Michigan State, but turnovers could be an issue.

Basically, between the inexperience of Michigan State's skill players, and Adams being new to Oregon's system and showing a bit of TO vulnerability last week, I think we'll see one of those sides, if not both, making mistakes with the ball. Neither offense should have trouble moving it most if not all of the game, but I trust MSU will be less prone with it being a home game and Cook's experience.

I think Michigan State will win it close, something like 31-24 maybe? I don't think it will be as high scoring as I'm sure many will predict.

I do feel good about it compared to how I did in the offseason, however. If MSU still had Langford, Hill, Mumphrey, Lippett I'd be terrified. I just think they will take a while to really get going with the new skill guys. But with how horrible Oregon's secondary looked against inexperienced QBs last week, it may not matter.

If Cook is clicking early, it could be a bloodbath. If not, I think it's more of a toss-up.

pavel

likes elk steak likes
Utopia Moderator
What's oregon's biggest OOC road win in the last 10 years? Tennessee?

Brick

Not much to go on. All of the major conference teams were bad.

2013: 59-10 W @ Virginia
2010: 48-13 W @ Tennessee
2009: 8-19 L @ Boise State
2008: 32-26 W @ Purdue
2007: 39-7 W @ Michigan
2006: 31-24 W @ Fresno State

Brick

The last time Oregon made the trip to East Lansing, this happened. I remember watching it:

Brick

Actually fairly fine that EWU curbstomped the defense. In big hyped up games like this, typically everyone predicts a million points and it never lives up to that billing.

Both defenses will be playing like assholes. MSU will want to prove last year was a fluke, and all Oregon's defense will hear all week is how lolterribad they are.

Never underestimate the 17-22 KIDS @mak mindgames.

PSUEagle

@Brick has been on a roll lately with quality posts: well done man. I like this version of you.

Agree completely RE: it being lower scoring than people think. Biggest key for me is how MSU's safeties hold up in pass coverage: the three offenses that lit them up last year primarily exploited that specific group downfield quite a bit.

Brick

@PSUEagle

Charles Nelson and Devon Allen didn't play at WR last week. Nelson will be back, but not sure about Allen. I don't know if Allen's still recovering from his Rose Bowl injury, or what. I know he wants to run track in the next Olympics, so I understand his being cautious. Depth chart is pretty deep, but two freshman receivers played over him on Saturday. I assume he's still taking it slow. He was a nearly every down guy last year. Allen had a huge game last year against Michigan State. Anyway, those two are the fastest receivers (track guys). I'd like to see them both play.

Oregon used two TE sets on Saturday quite a bit (Mundt/Baylis). I wonder if we're going to see more of that on Saturday. I want to see a heavy dose of Freeman especially. He looked really nasty on Saturday. I liked Benoit and Brooks-James a lot, but worry about turnovers as they're new guys.

I almost wish they stuck with the plan and moved Charles Nelson to DB this fall. He seems like he'd be great anywhere, and Oregon doesn't need help at receiver.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
That video is great. Look at all those fans dressed like normal humans and not overgrown man children in jerseys.

PSUEagle

@Brick

Good stuff. Didn't bring my laptop with me on vacation, so I didn't get a chance to watch either team play in their respective openers.

Interesting observation about Oregon's use of 12 personnel. Tell me about how they used them: did they line up in "traditional" TE spots or were the flexed out quite a bit? If they're both athletic that could be a matchup to watch: it would force MSU to keep their base defense on the field and let them work on safeties and linebackers in coverage.

If there's one thing that would give me pause in expecting Sparty to do worse than expected on offense it's Don Pellum: I have no confidence in him finding a way to piece together solutions against real good offenses based on last year. They'll probably load up on the run like you said, but it might not matter: even mediocre running teams like FSU were able to hurt them enough on the ground to not be one dimensional (before that game became a comedy of errors). I used to think Sparty was a typical uncreative I Formation running team, but they actually do a good job with misdirection: FSU killed them there last year.

MSUFanatic

The key is on the backend - our safeties looked bad against WMU and I don't think we have a corner outside of a RS FR Vayante Copeland. If the MSU pressure can get home and force Adams' into mistakes MSU should be fine, but I'm not overly confident in the backend holding up. As we saw last year when plays started breaking down and Mariota used his legs he broke the secondary wide open which is what turned the game upside-down. Fast-forward a year and the MSU safeties are probably at the same level or maybe worse (to be determined).

The biggest improvement, they say, takes place from week one to two so it will be very interesting. I'll be honest, I watched none of the Oregon game on Saturday due to driving so all I know is from @Brick's nice breakdown so thank you for that. I think Cook and the WRs will be able to get on the same page. Cook looked terrible if I'm putting it lightly, but I think MSU has a lot of players to try and manufacture touches to whether it is LJ Scott, Madre London, Macgarrette Kings, Josiah Price, or RJ Shelton.

It should be a fun atmosphere and good game. Here's hoping.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Does Oregon still have that dumb linebacker group who fell for every single misdirection play in the two games I watched last season?

Last edited:

Brick

COuRgFfWgAAH9X-.jpg

Well, look at these ugly things.

Brick

All white and silver jerseys except the green and yellow numbers and shoulder duck. Oregon will lose. They look like the playoff shampship duds. So terrible. All downhill since the perfect Rose Bowl unis.

Brick

Fucking pissed. Looks like ESPN is only broadcasting Tennessee and Oklahoma on skycam.

jdlikewhoa

That helmet is so sexy.

I hope Oregon gets legitimately raped because Brick keeps coming with this ripoff @jobob shtick

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
THis guy for oregon had to pass a fucking math test to complete his degree and be able to transfer to oregon? THis was a fucking cliffhanger? What kind of math?