• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

MLB 2023 Thread

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
who the fuck is jazz Chisholm lol

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
who the fuck is jazz Chisholm lol

fry-not-sure.gif

pavel

likes elk steak likes
Utopia Moderator
This is easily the most stacked offensive roster in Padres history, and probably one of the better ones in recent MLB history.

Pitching-wise, there’s not enough top-flight talent for me to get comfortable. Even when Musgrove, Suarez, and Pomeranz are healthy, I feel like there are more pitchers on the backside of their career growth arc (every starter but Musgrove and maybe Martinez) than ones ascending, and the bullpen seems thin as hell. Would really like to see someone break out and overachieve there.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
He has to be getting nervous about turning down 450 million because he damn sure aint getting that anymore.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
He’ll get it all if he returns to 2019-2021 form. But have to start wondering if his OPS totals are more in line with 850-900 going forward rather than 950-1000+. He hasn’t been “himself” for over a year at this point.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Also, his dip coincides with KLong leaving the Nats. KLong is the best hitting coach in baseball and one of a few that make an obvious difference with hitters. Letting him go is the stupidest thing the Nats have ever done IMO.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Also, his dip coincides with KLong leaving the Nats. KLong is the best hitting coach in baseball and one of a few that make an obvious difference with hitters. Letting him go is the stupidest thing the Nats have ever done IMO.

The Phils love having KLong on the staff. He's helped Edmundo Sosa and Brandon Marsh turn around their hitting issues and made them a useful part of the lineup instead of blackholes in the lineup. Thanks, NATS!

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
He's so good. Hitting coaches get too much blame from idiot fans when lineups can't hit, but KLong seriously makes a legitimate difference with multiple hitters on any roster. It's crazy to see.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
He's so good. Hitting coaches get too much blame from idiot fans when lineups can't hit, but KLong seriously makes a legitimate difference with multiple hitters on any roster. It's crazy to see.
Obviously people can’t replicate it if he’s killing every other corch, but does he do clinics or anything that lets people in on his process?

pavel

likes elk steak likes
Utopia Moderator
Went to 2 low-scoring Padres games this week, and the pitch clock impact on food+bev / ballpark experience cannot be understated. Fortunately Petco has a million point-of-sale options and the beer lines were almost non-existent, but even with an extra half-inning, it is a struggle to drink more than 2 beers (3 at most) in a 2:15 game. You can easily miss an entire inning getting food or hitting the head, which is like missing 10-15% of the game for every trip out of your seat.

Postgame, it's really not a huge deal if the park is located in an urban area with tons of bars and restaurants immediately outside the park. Spilling out into the glorious sunshine at 3:30 in the afternoon is amazing, plus 2 hours of beers still has me in an ascendant mood, not the LOATHSOME CREATURE that 4 hours of drinking in the sun will produce. The game just becomes a part of an afternoon/evening out, which is when baseball is at its best (as opposed to football, which is seemingly an all-day commitment).

Pace/gametime will definitely impact the experience at parks like Milwaukee, Oakland, and Philly, and others (KC comes to mind, but I've never been) where there aren't a lot of postgame options immediately outside the park, and you're spending 30 minutes and $30 parking, then another 30 minutes leaving. Kind of impacts the decision to attend a game in person, I'd imagine. I think that attendance might actually be down this year as a result, particularly at the aforementioned isolated stadiums. Could be an interesting unintended consequence of the pitch clock, and one that might impact how and where future parks are built.

I recommend this book if this stuff is interesting to you:

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
A's moving to Vegas. SAD but we gotta milk all the money out of that city that we can before it runs out of water.

Vegas is such a complete shithole. I'd say the residents are probably pissed that their city has spent billions on stadiums for teams that aren't even good and have no local support multiple times while their city is a dump and is running out of water, but I assume you have to have a railroad spike driven through your head before you decide to live in Vegas, so they probably don't care

No offense to 2018 @Yankee151

Skeeter

Uber felon
Bumsauce so bad the dbags will pay him not to pitch. What an epic fall from grace. What kind of cheating was going on in San Fran that made him so much better?

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
Tatis back tonight! The new pitch clock is actually letting me see the end of west coast games now. MLB Extra Innings package well worth it.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
And the damn padres should sign mad bum. He’s not worse than some of their schlubs and he has a lot of leadership and experience to offer.