• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Hachiko's Spirit of Leafa College Football Dynasty

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Easy as pie for Leafa in rout of Fresno on the road

By Naoto Suzukawa
The Spirit News
December 1, 2075

First-year quarterback Shae Katou-Aki passed for 221 yards, ran for 457 yards and scored 10 touchdowns on offence as Dan Harding's Leafa Spirit Gridiron coasted to a 147-14 victory over the Fresno State Bulldogs at Bulldog Stadium in Fresno, California, USA. Left end Sam "Yokozuna" Touzokuyama led a staunch defence with eight tackles, six tackles for loss, and five sacks.

Halfback Jackson Tatara ran for 403 yards and seven touchdowns, halfback Archer Hiiro ran for 163 yards and three scores, wide receiver Xavier Kim caught four passes for 53 yards and two touchdowns and tight end Tom Arashi had a reception for a major as well as 11 pancake blocks to lead a subtle blocking effort. Offensive lineman Gino Fatu had 10 pancakes in a showing that saw no sacks conceded whatsoever.

Middle linebacker Roy Hanamura led the defence in tackling with 15 tackles, while strong safety Lee Bongdal added 11. Defensive tackle Levi Iori had three sacks, outside linebacker Nick Mikisugi had two sacks and the Provost's Son, free safety Jay Madanbashi, had two interceptions. On special teams, halfback Brett Inohara had a punt returned 75 yards for a touchdown.

Leafa improve to 12-0 and will most likely face the Boise State Broncos at Yunupingu Field in two weeks for the 2015 Mountain West Football Championship. The match is a confirmed sellout. This will also be the final game under the Mandawuy Yunupingu Field, at which it will switch to its corporate name of Subaru Pleiades Stadium on 1 January 2076.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

The Mystique of Carlton Draught and Victoria Bitter

By Naoto Suzukawa
The Spirit News
December 2, 2075

Carlton Draught is a 4.6% (abv) pale lager made in Australia by Carlton & United Breweries. Carlton Draught is a pale lager which is sold on tap in its home state of Victoria as well as in New South Wales, the Australian Capital Territory, the Northern Territory, Queensland, South Australia, Tasmania and Western Australia, and is one of Australia's most popular selling tap beers. It is also sold pre-packaged, Carlton Draught comes in 375ml "stubbie" and 750ml "longneck" bottles and 375ml cans.

The formulation of Carlton Draught was changed slightly in 2003 to reduce the alcohol content from 5.0% to 4.6% in response to an increase in alcohol taxes by the Federal government. The logo was also changed, and a new advertising campaign was introduced to target a wider market. Featuring quirky, comical advertisements and billboards; the beer was promoted as simply being "made from beer". Carlton Draught, like most Australian Lagers, is made using a wortstream brewing process, and uses a portion of cane sugar to thin out the body of the beer, apparently due to drinkers preferences. One of the biggest competing rivals that has been a long, ongoing dispute for years (since 2015) is against the well known and very popular beer, Morgan Lager. This refreshing brew that has emerged is taking the world by storm.

Victoria Bitter (VB) is a lager produced by Carlton & United Breweries, a subsidiary of Foster's Group in Melbourne, Victoria. It was first brewed by Thomas Aitken at Victoria Brewery in 1854. It is one of the highest selling beers in Australia.

The origins of Victoria Bitter date back to Victoria Brewery founder & head brewer Thomas Aitken, who developed the recipe in 1854. The beer began to gain wide popularity in the mid 1960s with an innovative television advertising campaign featuring a very similar recording of the theme from the film The Magnificent Seven, images of working-class Australians at work and play, and a voice-over by notable Australian actor John Meillon. The campaign was used until quite recently. Paul Hester, late drummer of Crowded House, once appeared in a VB advert.

Like most Australian Lagers, VB is made using a wortstream brewing process, and uses a portion of cane sugar to thin out the body of the beer.

Currently one third of the packaged beer sales in Australia are of VB. It is available in 375 mL cans ("tinnies"), short-necked 375 mL bottles ("stubbies"), 750 mL bottles ("Long Necks", "King Browns" or "Tallies") and "Twisties", "Throwies" or "Grenades" (250 ml bottles sold exclusively in the State of New South Wales). As of 2005 VB also comes in 500 ml tinnies ("Lunch Greens"), which are commonly drunk by trade workers on lunch, being just enough to quench their thirst. It used to be available in the Northern Territory in a 1 litre tinnie nicknamed a 'Killer can' (Kilo can). As with all packaged beer sold in Australia it was for many years only available in 750 mL or 26 2/3 fl oz (1/6 imperial gallon) bottles, until the introduction of "stubbies" and smaller cans.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

The Mystique of Cascade Brewery

By Naoto Suzukawa
The Spirit News
December 9, 2075

Cascade Brewery is a brewery established in 1832 in South Hobart, Tasmania and is the oldest continually operating brewery in Australia. As well as beer, the site also produces a range of non-alcoholic products, is home to a function centre, as well as operating tourism related ventures including guided tours and a retail outlet.

The Cascade estate was originally a saw milling operation, a partnership called Macintosh and Degraves Sawmills. The mills began operation in 1825 and the brewery was founded beside the clean water of the Hobart Rivulet in 1831 by Hugh Macintosh (1776–1834) with his nephews Henry and Charles Degraves while Peter Degraves was in Hobart prison serving a five-year jail term. Until 2011 the conventional history of Cascade Brewery held that the brewery, and the other enterprises at Cascade, had been founded by Peter Degraves however research by historian Greg Jefferys for his Masters thesis showed that the major partner in the Cascade Mills and Brewery had actually been Major Hugh Macintosh and that Degraves had falsified the history of the Brewery after Macintosh's death in 1834.

Macintosh was a retired East India Company Officer who emigrated from England on his ship Hope in 1824 with his brother-in-law Peter Degraves (1778–1852). Degraves was an undischarged bankrupt and convicted thief. In 1826 charges were laid against Degraves for debts incurred in England and he was taken into custody until 1832.

As a result of Degraves' arrest Macintosh dissolved the partnership, paid all of the partnership's outstanding debts and took over the running of the sawmills with his two nephews as well as expanding his farming interests near New Norfolk. After his release in 1832 Peter Degraves took over running and expanding the Brewery on the property owned by himself and Macintosh. Macintosh moved to his farm on the banks for the Derwent River where he pursued his interests in viticulture and Merino sheep. He also, during this period, supported Henry Savery while he wrote Australia's first novel.

After Macintosh's death in December 1834 his half share of the Cascade estate passed to his son William Macintosh who lived in Madras India. Degraves offered to buy William's share but never paid his nephew and William died a pauper in 1840, still owed a small fortune by his wealthy uncle Peter Degraves After Macintosh's death Degraves continued to expand both the milling and brewing operations at the Cascade, exporting both timber and beer to mainland Australia, particularly to Victoria where the gold rush created huge demands for both timber and beer. After Degraves' death the Cascade passed into the control of his eldest son Henry Degraves however Henry died two years after his father and the management of the Brewery passed to Sir James Wilson, husband of Degraves' youngest daughter Deborah Hope Degraves. It is now owned by Foster's Group. Cascade produces a range of beers, homebrew, apple cider ('Mercury Cider' brand) and non-alcoholic beverages including apple juice, blackcurrant syrup & carbonated beverages.

The image adopted for its label in 1987, H. C. Richter's nineteenth-century illustration of the now extinct Tasmanian tiger (Thylacinus cynocephalus), is from Gould's The Mammals of Australia.

Cascade is unique among Australian breweries and rare among breweries worldwide in that it operates it own maltings, producing malt for its mainstream beers (including Premium Lager & Pale Ale) from locally grown barley. Specialty malts for dark beers and the seasonal range are imported from mainland Australia and from overseas. The Cascade name is also given to the sporting event 'The Cascade Cup'.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Improved performance from Boise, but Leafa win Mountain West

By Naoto Suzukawa
The Spirit News
December 15, 2075

It was a tough night for first-year quarterback Shae Katou-Aki, who passed for 297 yards, ran for 295 more and scored six touchdowns on offense but also threw three interceptions, however he won Man of the Match honors as Dan Harding's Leafa Spirit Gridiron defeated the Boise State Broncos in a shootout at Yunupingu Field, 91-60, to win their fourth straight Mountain West American Football Championship.

Defencive tackle Oscar Inui was fierce, with five tackles, three sacks and two forced fumbles to lead the way in pressuring Boise gunslinger Nick Patti, who threw for 785 yards and five major scores. Halfback Jackson Tatara ran for 264 yards and three touchdowns, halfback Archer Hiiro ran for 101 yards and two scores to go with a receiving touchdown, wide receiver Xavier Kim caught three passes for 96 yards and a major score and wideout Connor Yasaka caught four passes for 93 yards. Tight end Tom Arashi led the blockers with 10 pancake blocks.

Strong safety Lee Bongdal led the defence in tackling with 17 tackles, cornerback Luca Mizushima and defencive tackle Levi Iori each had a sack and Mizushima also had an interception returned 41 yards that came just inches short of the goal line. Middle linebacker Roy Hanamura and cornerback Billy Ooji also had a pick apiece.

Leafa improve to 13-0 and await their opponent in the 2076 BCS Championship Game. The opponent is most likely to be West Virginia, the last team that suffered its first defeat of the season.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Hiiro snubs Heisman Trophy after Katou-Aki finishes second

By Naoto Suzukawa
The Spirit News
December 22, 2075

At the 2075 Heisman Trophy Ceremony, broadcasted by ESPN, it was announced by the head of the Downtown Athletic Club that Leafa College halfback Archer Hiiro was named the winner of college football's most prestigious award. This would go down as one of the most controversial decisions made by the American press who are eligible to vote as part of the process. Hiiro did record 1711 yards rushing and 31 touchdowns to go with 242 yards receiving and five scores. However, he is the second-string halfback for Dan Harding's Spirit and his counterpart, halfback Jackson Tatara, posted superior stats and would have been more worthy of winning a second-straight Heisman.

However, as Hiiro reached the podium, he elected to point out a grave error in judgment of the press in what was a short, terse and surprisingly bitter speech.

"I am here to announce that I am refusing to accept this Heisman Trophy, who results have been deliberately manipulated by the highly unqualified press journalist of the United States of America. My quarterback, Shae Katou-Aki, has broken a passing record set by his predecessor, Cooper Kanie. Furthermore, he has been dominant in his offensive production and justifiably deserved the Maxwell, Walter Camp and Davey O'Brien Awards. Also, his deputy, Jackson Tatara, posted far better statistics this season that me and should have been considered for a second straight trophy.

"I believe I had only done good enough to finish as a second runner-up to this trophy. The legitimacy and credibility of college football's so-called most prestigious prize must be called into question if the people who vote for the best players in the sport collude to deliberately prevent the best player in college football from winning this trophy. It is an absolute shame that Shae should be passed over for me. I refuse to accept this award, and that is all. Good night."

Shae also said in an interview, "I will not return to another Heisman Trophy ceremony unless the Downtown Athletic Club pays me to return to New York City next year. The organization owes me $673 US, one dollar for every vote I lost by. This was a compromised vote, the integrity of America's sports journalists [sic] have taken a massive hit, and I will be content in preparing for a postseason game back in Canberra.

"You Yanks making the calls are gonna have to cop this snub. We did nothing wrong."

This wasn't the only controversial decision. The Outland Trophy was scandalously awarded by the Football Writers Association of America to Leafa right tackle Harrison Kazama, who only recorded four pancake blocks in limited playing time. A massive surge of angry emails and death threats reached the FWAA web site as a result of the decision.

Leafa College face the West Virginia Mountaineers in the 2076 BCS Championship Game at the Louisiana SuperDome in New Orleans, Louisiana, USA. All of Leafa's allotments have been sold out. The match will be broadcast by 5AO, the 5AO Leafa Sports Radio Network, One and One World Sports globally. In America, the game will be televised by ESPN.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

Maria Prinz-Eugen, the wife of Jason Jeremiah Petricca.

Jason Jeremiah? Non, Non, Non, how about Jiji?

By Naoto Suzukawa
The Spirit News
December 27, 2075

A recruit with good hands and blinding speed, Jason Jeremiah Petricca is a long name. At Brooks High and on the Gorillas, he goes by a more simple name: Jiji Petricca. It's pronounced like the name Gigi, but instead of G's, there are J's, a nod to his initials. Deliberately effeminate? Depends on who you talk to, but the grandnephew of Kurumi Ebisuzawa maintains that it's a fun name to pronounce.

"Based on what he told me, his mum wanted him to have a name that can roll off his tongue and my tongue easily and off others, some type of household name that people will remember,"said his wife, Maria Prinz-Eugen, an immigrant from Germany in the process of gaining citizenship. "So all of my friends and even my cousin Helen [Bismarck] from Munich calls him Jiji. It's quite a sporty name too."

Maria Prinz-Eugen is a proper hipster.

"I think everyone will get used to hearing my name out on 5AO...something like this," said Jiji while on holiday on the Gold Coast. "1st and 10, midfield, Leafa trailing 20-17 with 34 seconds to go in the first quarter. The snap. Katou-Aki under center, a pass over the top! It's Jiji Petricca, and he's off to the races, and this is a race he usually wins! Jiji, Jiji, Jiji, you beauty, touchdown Spirit!

"Yeah, something like that. I can dream, can't I? Anyway, I know that I have some hard slog coming up after my holiday when I ease into my new home with all the other first-years and all. Maria's looking forward to joining me. She wants to major in sociology or political science, maybe work in a think tank. Maria loves it here in Oz, and in Tassie. She says that Germany is too crowded, too busy. Here, it's like paradise, and the life is a bit more relaxed.

"So both of us are going to enjoy this holiday here on the Gold Coast. This is actually the first time I visited the Gold Coast with my wife. She's not rushing into having kids just yet. She wants to complete her citizenship business first, as well as complete the diploma. So we both have plenty of time to settle down. As for me, I'm all about the gridiron. Watch out for Jiji. I'm coming for ya, mates."

Last edited:

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

The Mystique of Schoolies Week

By Naoto Suzukawa
The Spirit News
December 30, 2075

Schoolies or schoolies week (also known as leavers' or leavers' week in Western Australia and coasties in the Australian Capital Territory) refers to the Australian tradition of high-school graduates (also known as "schoolies" or "leavers") having week-long holidays following the end of their final exams in late November and early December.

"Toolies" or "Droolies" refers to older revellers who participate in Schoolies week but are not high-school graduates. "Foolies" or "pre-schoolies" refers to younger adolescents, who participate in Schoolies week but have not yet graduated from high school. Schoolies week is seen as a final party with schoolmates before they head their separate ways.

Schoolies week first began on the Gold Coast, Queensland in 1979, in the week following final exams for private single sex schools. The Broadbeach Hotel was the main meeting place. Schoolies Week events began to be organised for 1980, and from then on the Gold Coast attracted schoolies from all over Australia for celebrations. Since then, the tradition has spread, and Australian high-school graduates celebrate their graduation with a week-long party at many popular tourist destinations around the country.

Schoolies week is considered by many teenagers in Australia as a cultural rite of passage. Schoolies week is seen as transitional period from youth to adulthood, marking a change of state from the imposition of school discipline to the chosen freedom to have a body which is out of control. According to the Official National Schoolies Week Website, "The most-enduring Schoolies-week tradition is the first run down the beach and dive into the ocean after school is finished forever. That plunge of freedom is the essence of freedom which Schoolies symbolises."

Queensland's Gold Coast, particularly Surfers Paradise, maintains its status as the largest single venue for this revelry, attracting tens of thousands of schoolies. The Gold Coast is viewed as a liminal space, somewhere to get away, a city of theme parks and leisure by the sea where transitions are possible. Research carried out in 2003 found schoolies boosted the Gold Coast economy by $59 million. In 2011, up to 40,000 students were expected to visit the Gold Coast.

Schoolies are also present at the Sunshine Coast; this is an alternative for the graduates who fear the negative media attention attracted on the Gold Coast. According to the Sunshine Coast Region council the Sunshine Coast had about 500 schoolies visit in 2009. The local council on the Sunshine Coast stopped providing events for schoolies in 2007.

Schoolies have similar traditions at Magnetic Island in Townsville, Airlie Beach in the Whitsundays and Port Macquarie. Byron Bay and Surfers Paradise are particularly popular amongst private school graduates. For South Australia, Victor Harbor is the location of choice, while in Victoria the Surf Coast is popular, mainly consisting of Lorne and Torquay, however Phillip Island is also quite popular for students living in the east and south of Victoria. At Victor Harbor in 2011, approximately 15,000 students were expected to celebrate. In Western Australia, Rottnest Island off Perth and the South West towns of Dunsborough and Busselton are popular destinations. Also, Western Australians often go to Bali, which is located in Indonesia, as it is a spot for parties, late nights, and cheap shopping. In Tasmania there is not an established "Schoolies" location or tradition as such. Internationally, popular schoolies destinations include Fiji and Vanuatu. In Fiji, whole islands have been dedicated to schoolie celebrations.

Official Schoolies events are drug-free and alcohol-free events held at many Schoolies destinations. They include concerts, dances and parties. For all official events, attendees are required to be a registered schoolie and present a schoolie ID on entry. This schoolie ID, which at some locations includes a photo, is given to each schoolie upon registering, which requires the presentation of a current school ID and incurs a small fee. At many destinations, the official events are held in fenced-off areas or in nightclubs to prevent the infiltration of "toolies" and to maintain crowd control. Some events are free, while others (often those held at nightclubs) incur an entry fee.

The event is supported by an all-volunteer group of Christians who are recruited into the Red Frogs network. Around 1,500 volunteers serve in 17 locations across Australia. The group aims to directly support partying school-leavers through a positive presence. This might involve walking them home, cleaning or cooking for them. The network began at the Gold Coast in 1997.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
No Burning Couches: Leafa College defend BCS crown against West Virginia

By Naoto Suzukawa
The Spirit News
January 8, 2076

There will be no burning couches in Morgantown, West Virginia, USA this week. But then again, we're on the the other side of the world; what do we care? Your Leafa College Spirit Gridiron Team are champions of collegiate American football. Again. At the confines of the Louisiana SuperDome in New Orleans, Lousiana, USA, quarterback Shae Katou-Aki passed for 300 yards, ran for 546 and scored 14 touchdowns on offence as the Leafa Spirit disemboweled the West Virginia Mountaineers, 164-51 to win their fourth collegiate crown. Defencively, cornerback Luca "Night Fever" Mizushima capped off his playing career with 12 tackles, a forced fumble and an interception, one of eight picks conceded by embattled Mountaineers quarterback Ford Childress.

Halfback Jackson Tatara ran for 304 yards and three touchdowns, Heisman winner (in name only) Archer Hiiro ran for 133 yards and two scores while catching five pases for 75 yards, wide receiver Dayne Tsunashi caught five passes for 69 yards and a major to go with 74 rushing yards, and wide receiver Connor Yasaka wrapped up his career with 26 pancake blocks to lead the blockers. Tsunashi also had 24 pancakes, while wideout Xavier Kim had 18 to go with a touchdown reception.

Free safety Jay Madanbashi, the Provost's Son, signed off on an illustrious career at the position with 17 tackles and an interception to lead the defence in tackling. Middle linebacker Roy Hanamura had 13 tackles and a pick, while cornerback Vic Tsuchimikado completed his captaincy with eight tackles and two interceptions, one of which was returned 22 yards for a score. Three other players on defence also had an interception, while defencive tackle Levi Iori had two sacks to pace the pass rush.

"What can I say? These boys are really capable players and they perform on the field and off the field, what more can I say?" asked Coach Harding after the game. "They gave it their all, and all the fourth-years wanted to finish this one off with a bang. We're gonna have a rough 2076 campaign and we'll need to hope for big contributions from our new faces coming in. For now, we're gonna celebrate this moment and start the preparations for next year. This has been one hell of a season, I reckon."

Leafa conclude the 2075 college gridiron season with a 14-0 record. A victory rally and parade will take place at Parliament House on Australia Day, 26 January 2076.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Records fall following historic BCS win for Leafa

By Naoto Suzukawa
The Spirit News
January 10, 2076

A number of records have fallen following Leafa's fourth straight BCS championship victory, a 164-51 rout of the West Virginia Mountaineers. Spirit Gridiron head coach Dan Harding, as a result of his efforts of not only being a winning coach but also an advocate for the sport of gridiron football across Australia, will be named a member of the Order of Australia on Australia Day 2076 during the Victory Rally for the team. Leafa finish 2075 with a record of 14-0.

Billy Ooji
Individual Career - Interceptions 44
School Career - Interceptions (Career) 44

Sam Touzokuyama
Individual Career - Sacks 112
School Career - Sacks (Career) 112

Dan Harding
Coaching Career - Longest Win Streak 56

Shae Katou-Aki
Individual Season - Rushing Yds 5800 Yds
Individual Season - Rushing TD 96
School Season - Passing TD (Season) 45
School Season - Passing Yds (Season) 4089 Yds
School Season - Rushing TD (Season) 96
School Season - Rushing Yds (Season) 5800 Yds

Dayne Tsunashi
School Career - Receiving TD (Career) 35

Jackson Tatara
School Career - Receptions (Career) 276

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Trick Takayama named Leafa Offensive Coordinator

By Carol Craftman
The Spirit News
January 27, 2076

Former Mitakihara Magi quarterback Haruki Takayama has been named offensive coordinator for Dan Harding's Leafa College Spirit after D.A. McGraw left Australia for a position in the United States. Former Leafa College graduate assistant Lachlan Akai takes over as quarterbacks coach, while linebacker Dane Nanase will be the next graduate assistant for the program.

"It's been a long journey for me," said Coach Trick, as he is known on campus, "but I finally become the offensive coordinator for the best college gridiron team in the world. I plan to keep the formula for success alive with my players and I hope to do a really good job with this team. It's going to be tough work, but I love challenges and this is the biggest of all."

"I wanted to get into coaching if my career as a player didn't translate to being called up for the draft," said Coach Akai during the presser. "Now I become a position coach for the Spirit and I am excited at the opportunity to coach the new up-and-comers at my position. I also get to help develop the progression of guys like Shae [Katou-Aki] and Kaz [Kasumigaoka], so it will be an honor to mold these signal-callers into superstars of character."

"What can I say, I didn't think I was going to be given this opportunity to continue my education here," said Nanase. "But thanks to the Sports Management programme here, I don't think I'll ever want to leave. This is a great place to play, learn, grow, and improve yourself as a person, so I am thrilled to be a part of this team as a coach."

The schedule for the 2076 Leafa College Gridiron season is being finalised and will be released this winter.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Spirit Gridiron Coaching Staff (2076)
Head Coach: Dan Harding
Offensive Coord.: Haruki Takayama
Quarterbacks: Lachlan Akai
Running Backs: Shannon Wright
Receivers: Ethan Wakamatsu
Offensive Line: Robert Irons
Defensive Coordinator: Spencer Alcasid
Defensive Line: Gil Tavares
Linebackers: Derek Williams
Secondary: Gene Mitaka
Special Teams: Yu Shun-Lee
Graduate Assistant: Dane Nanase
Team Doctor: Rhian H. Tsukahara, MD
Recruiting Coordinator: Yusa Nishimori
Athletic Director: Haru Onodera

Chancellor: Hozuki Ferrari
Vice-Chancellor: Aoi Miyamori
Provosts: Erika Chiba (Mitakihara),
Nao Tomori (Leafa College),
Eru Miru (Japan Campus),
Yui Kanakura
(Mitakihara-Squamish)
Visitor: Sir Duke Royce-Rioli, Administrator,
Australian Capital Territory

Last edited:

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
[BCOLOR=#ffffff]
[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=#ffffff]
Reina Kousaka, the mother of Leafa Spirit tight end Ray Kousaka-Tedder.
[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=#ffffff][/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=#ffffff]The Rocket: Ray Kousaka-Tedder Counting Stars For Leafa[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#ffffff]By Carol Craftman[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#ffffff]The Spirit News[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=#ffffff]August 1, 2076[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#ffffff]This year, the Leafa College Spirit Gridiron Team have looked to walk-ons to be the key components in what will be a challenging BCS title defense. One of 10 walk-ons selected to earn a scholarship, tight end Ray Kousaka-Tedder, the son of Reina Kousaka and the great-grandson of legendary OneRepublic singer/songwriter/author Ryan Tedder, was the unlikeliest of candidates to get the nod and play for the Leafa Boys. Thanks to an impressive tryout, he was able to take part in the special first-year training camp to get into fitness and form ahead of the traditional season-opening road match against the UCLA Bruins at the historic Rose Bowl Stadium.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#ffffff]"Yeah, I wasn't the unlikeliest of people to end up here but I thought, maybe I'll try a new sport because I've been used to watching AFL games on the telly and at the G," said Ray, known to his peers as Rocket, a play on his initials, R.K.T. "Mum told me that her good friend from secondary school, Dr. Kumiko [Oumae] a.k.a. Kumi-sensei, was the band director there along with her husband Mr. Shu[ichi Tsukamoto] a.k.a. Shu-san. She told me, 'how about you enrol over there and get away from Melbourne for a few years and see where it leads you. Can't be here forever, y'know.' That's what she told me.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#ffffff]
[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=#ffffff]
Ryan Tedder, the great-grandfather of Ray Kousaka-Tedder.
[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#ffffff]"January comes, and I enrol at the campus. I see this ad saying, 'Want to play for a champion? Tryouts for Leafa College Gridiron 2076 are coming in June. Inquire within.' Months pass, and I was close to following the lead of my mum and becoming a trumpeter for the Spirit Band. At the last second, I head to the tryout at Pleiades to see if anything is going on. There were so many people, and only a few spots were available. I tried out for the tight end position because I found out that they only had one person at that position coming back, he was a fourthie (fourth-year) and he used to play fullback.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#ffffff]"I ran some patterns, caught some passes, did some blocks and it amazed the coaches. I had only learned about the technique by watching some old NFL footage so I really had no idea what to expect. One week later, Coach Harding calls me up to his office at Houraisan to tell me something. I ask him, 'What happened, Coach? Did I fail to make the cut?'[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#ffffff]"He looks at me in the eye as says, 'Young man, you're on the team. You'll be on full-ride starting now. Congratulations. Camp's next month. Get ready. Good work at the tryout.' I didn't know what to say, but later that night, I call my mom and she says, 'Hey Mum, I did it! I'm on the Spirit griddies for next year!' She was crying. She was so thrilled, then she said. 'I'll try to head over there to watch you play. Do you best, all right Ray?' I said, 'I got your back Mum. I'm gonna make Kumi-sensei proud, too!'[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#ffffff]"And that's how it all started. I'm now a schollie, no longer a trialist, and I get to travel to America for a number of weeks. It's going to be tough work, but, like my great-granddad Ryan once said, 'No more counting dollars. We'll be counting stars.'"[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#ffffff][/BCOLOR]​

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
proxy

Hachiman Hikigaya and Yui Yuigahama,
the grandparents of Leafa Spirit CB Geronimo Hikigaya on his father's side.

So Say Geronimo: A Walk-On From Leafa With An Uplifting Upbringing

By Carol Craftman
The Spirit News
August 3, 2076

Soujiro Geronimo Sheppard Hikigaya is not your ordinary cornerback. One of three new players to the team alongside fellow walk-on Felipe Baloy "Lloy" Auerbach and signee LaVerne "Vern" Dahlgren, the first-year defensive back from Brisbane is the great-grandson of Australian musician George Sheppard on his mother's side and the grandson of Hachiman Hikigaya and Yui Yuigahama on his father's side. Known simply as Geronimo for his fondness of Sheppard's signature ballad, he hopes to make a massive impact after impressing at the trials in June at Subaru Pleiades Stadium.

"Before I decide to venture here, on occasions I sometimes would pass by my great-granddad's tomb to talk with him spiritually about where I am now, where I plan to be 10 years, 15 years from now," so said Geronimo from his dorm room on campus. "He tells me, 'either you're gonna grow up to be a fantastic musician like me when I was alive, or you will choose your own path, and there are a lot.' I chose the not-so-beaten path of being a professional American football player because of the success of the Leafa Spirit.

proxy

(fourth from left) George Sheppard,
a great-grandfather of Geronimo Hikigaya on his mother's side.

"I wasn't recruited by anybody; in fact, I never even played the sport recreationally outside of the flag variant. But when I tried out for the team, I was told that there was depth at the quarterback position, so that was unfortunate. My second option was to play defensively. I wanted to catch passes but at the same time hit people with the same ferocity my granddad Hachiman had in his day.

"After the trials, I meet with Coach Harding in a face-to-face session. He told me, 'Gero, you've done it, my man. Welcome to the Spirit Gridiron Team, you're on scholarship for the next four years.' I say, 'Really? I haven't played competitive tackle gridiron and I make the team? I'm over the moon. Thanks, Coach!' He then says, 'Train hard and get set for the first-year camp we give to new players next month. You'll be competing to get a start when we face UCLA in late August. Good work, Gero.'

"At that point as I left his office, I pinched myself a few times. My old man would be so happy for me if he was able to see this day. I can feel his love. I can feel it. So this year, I want to have everybody say my name out loud and proud this Spring. Let's dive into the waterfall together. It's not Soujiro, it's Geronimo. So say...Geronimo!"

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

Erina Nakiri, Souma Yukihira and Megumi Tadokoro, the surrogate aunt, father and mother of Leafa Spirit WR and catering heir Touma Yukihira, respectively.

Always Room For A Plan B: Touma Yukihira's Work-Life Balance

By Carol Craftman
The Spirit News
August 5, 2076

One of many walk-ons that will get to wear the jumper of the Leafa Spirit Gridiron in Season 2076 is first-year wide receiver Thomas Touma Yukihira. His father, Souma, is the president and CEO of The Big Group, the largest privately-owned catering company in Australia and a trusted name at Leafa College for its quality work. Touma has plans to follow in his father's footsteps, along with childhood friend, fellow walk-on wide receiver and fellow hotel/restaurant major Maynard Nakiri-Wiles, the great-grandson of Scottish DJ icon Adam Wiles, a.k.a. Calvin Harris. In fact, upon graduation, the plan is for both Touma and Maynard to immediately join the front office team of the Big Group, who are based out their home town of Melbourne.

However, as both after playing gridiron football, a decade plus of playing in the NFL may be in the offing if Leafa College roll for the next few years, which many local bookmakers are betting on it happening. The two brothers-in-arms are considering farming mutual funds with the signing bonuses back home. And they are aware of the pitfalls that overconfident players inhibit as professionals.

"We keep out feet on the ground, you won't see us go into overkill with bad business deals because my dad learned his lessons very well," said Touma from his dorm room on campus. "Maynard and I have been busy developing new ways to present food while at the same time studying how to manage restaurants, catering teams, and even businesses in general.

Adam Wiles, a.k.a. Calvin Harris, the great-grandfather of Leafa Spirit WR Maynard Nakiri-Wiles.

"Maynard and I are majoring in hotel/restaurant management and also in business administration. The academic work, to us, is grueling, it's demanding, but it's what my old man used to do before he moved to Australia with my mom Megumi [Tadokoro] and my surrogate aunt Erina [Nakiri] with Maynard. The rigors of academics is what we thrive on. We like pressure, we like taking risks, so long as we don't suffer too much collateral on the way.

"We could have shied away from joining the team. But according to Maynard, in a dream, his great-grandfather, the late Calvin Harris, he told him, 'Play a sport. You need some exercise to keep your mind off the worries of the world for a while and apply it metaphorically to the battles you will have outside sport.' He then told me the following morning, 'Let's try out for the griddies!'

"So there were needs at wide receiver. And we decided to be trialists for that position. As it turned out, we caught more passes than any of the competition, ran the most yards, and were the only ones not to drop a pass. So what happened the following week? Well, we were told by Coach Harding that we made the team and we'd be on scholarship.

"I told my Mum and Dad that I had made the team, but Dad told me, 'Make sure to multitask and prioritize. Good that you are playing American football, but many new NFL players only last four or five years because of injuries. You need to have a Plan B, and B, in this case, stands for Big Group. Got it?' I said, "Sure thing, Dad.' And that's how it all started for us. We're looking forward to late August, but our eyes are on the prize. There's no stopping us right now. We feel so close to it right now."

Last edited:

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

(third from right and far right) Sydney Sierota and Rin Shibuya, the grandmother and grandaunt of Lloy Auerbach on his mother's side.

Lloy Auerbach: A Cornerback With A Knack For Instruments

By Carol Craftman
The Spirit News
August 13, 2076

You can give Felipe Baloy Auerbach any musical instrument and he will be able to play it with ease. It can be a drum set, a marimba, even a shamisen made a millennium ago and still in playable condition. His preferred instrument: an electric bass he calls 'Sydney," named after his late grandmother on his mother's side, Sydney Sierota. Lloy, as he is known, is the grandson of the lead singer of the band Echosmith; the great-grandson of Black Keys frontman, the late Dan Auerbach, on his father's side; and the grandaunt of famous Japanese idol Rin Shibuya on his mother's side.

"I studied the pieces of my grandparents and my great-granddad and learned to play different instruments," said Lloy, a music major who, in an interesting twist, is playing gridiron for Dan Harding's Leafa College Spirit. "I moved to Brisbane with my parents at the age of six and Australia is far more progressive in terms of culture and music is a major part of it.

"Sport is also a big part of it, and I thought about joining a team in between studying notations, composing lyrics and writing short stories about how bands were broken up due to a lack of trust and hostility brought on by personal pride and greed. I've come to accept that as the norm, but it's not something that I would wish upon anyone, even myself.

Dan Auerbach, the great-grandfather of Lloy Auerbach.

"So, to ensure this, I decided to walk-on to this team in Canberra at this college in the capital. Leafa College, apparently, had one of the best sports teams in the country, and they played a sport that the country is generally not a powerhouse in until recently. Then I learned that they were the defending champions in college gridiron.

"Gero (Geronimo Hikigaya) is my good friend from secondary school and he also comes from a musical family, the Sheppards. He said as we went to the June trials, 'let's give it a go and see what happens.' We ace the trials and one week later, at a meeting at the coach's front office, he tells us we're in and we're on scholarship. Everybody tells me, if you go to Leafa College, you'll be with the Cool Kids. I think my grandmother Sydney wasn't far off with that premonition. She, and my granduncles Jamie, Noah and Graham were right all along.

"What can we say, we're with the cool kids from Leafa Town, so now we have to live up to the standards and make all of America catch up with us."

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

Isla Mizugaki, the younger sister of Mikasa Mizugaki and reincarnation of the Giftia named Isla.

"I Must Take Care Of Isla": Mikasa Mizugaki

By Carol Craftman
The Spirit News
August 16, 2076

An understudy to fellow first-year free safety Hugh Otosaka, MIchael Mikasa Mizugaki lives in his college dorm room with his little sister, 13-year old Isla Mizugaki. Thanks to a hardship won, Isla is able to live with Mikasa at his dorm room while attending school. Should Mizugaki be drafted at the end of his career, Isla would be taken care of by Mrs. Nao Tomori, the provost of Leafa College, as a surrogate guardian, and it is expected that she, too, will enroll at the college as a student.

"Every day, I keep in mind that this is the reincarnation of the Giftia that my father Tsukasa once owned," said Mikasa at his dorm room, watching Isla play FIFA 77 on the PS15 as the Los Angeles Galaxy in Career Mode. "So Dad tells me, you will be moving in with Ms. Tomori and Mr. Otosaka over in Canberra, so be sure to show respect. They will be taking good care of you two. And Mikasa, guard your sister with your life. You are the only big brother she will ever know and love, so protect her like she is your daughter. Understand?' I saluted him, saying, 'Yes, Dad!' and in December, we moved to Australia to settle with our new hosts.

"We were given a dorm room, room and board, everything, because we enrolled to the college and got accepted because of connections. Ms. Nao, as I call Ms. Tomori, is a wonderful lady. She is resourceful, smart, and she has a son named Hugh, who signed with the college's American football team. At first, I didn't want to join the team because of how physical the sport was.

"It was at Isla's request that I joined the team as a walk-on, or to at least try out for the team. The position I wanted was free safety, because I was told by Coach [Spencer] Alcasid that they only had one person at the position, and he was a first-year. Turns out, that person was Hugh, and he said, 'Why don't you try out the position? Watch what I do and see if you can do it.' So I followed his patterns, and ended up making some interceptions, some hard tackles, and even returned a few picks for touchdowns. He then said, 'If you don't get accepted, I'll vouch for you.' I then said, 'Don't worry about it. The experience of being at this stadium is enough for me.'

Haru Onodera, athletic director, Leafa College athletics

"So one week passes, and I get a meeting. It was my unshakable belief that I had done well enough to not get accepted into the team. Then I meet this wonderful lady. She says, 'Are you Tsukasa's son?' I said, 'Yes, my name's Mikasa.' She says, 'You don't even need to do the trials, you're already in! Haru Onodera, athletic director for Leafa College. Congratulations and welcome to the best team in college football!' I melted into goo as soon as she shook my hand. Isla was at the door, giggling. And I didn't even notice.

"This was the best day ever for me. So now that I am an understudy to the person that is essentially my de facto aniki of record, I'll for repetitions and hope to contribute to what should be a noteworthy year and one that everyone in Australia will talk about for a long time. And I must take care of Isla. Don't worry Isla. Big brother's got your back. Makasete."

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
As Wild As It Gets: Mononobe Breaks Out As Leafa Cruse

By Carol Craftman
The Spirit News
August 30, 2076

Overlooked for years by his more established counterparts in the Lee brothers, Leafa College strong safety Ray Mononobe finally got his reward for his patience by earning the captaincy on defence for Season 2076. The end result for this week's match between Dan Harding's Leafa Spirit Gridiron and the UCLA Bruins at the Rose Bowl Stadium? Eight tackles...and a personal-best four interceptions as the Spirit coasted to an easy 142-27 victory before a sellout crowd in Pasadena.

Offencively, sophomore quarterback Shae Katou-Aki began his long march to redemption, passing for 269 yards and rushing for 457 yards while scoring nine total touchdowns under center. Halfback Brett Inohara used to be the main punt returner. Now he is getting his usual reps as the starting tailback, rushing for 201 yards and three touchdowns. Archer Hiiro's heir apparent may as well be Jack Fukushina. The main known as Jumpin' Jack Flash ran for 235 yards and four majors in relief duty.

The game saw another breakout performance, this time from a former defensive tackle. Steven Tove Lo Shen Dzu was moved to the right tackle position after being overlooked by other defensive tackles the past three season. His reward for choosing to stick it out saw him led the team in blocking with 26 pancake blocks. Wide receiver Jarryd Kaizuka, a converted halfback that was moved to wide out to add depth, had 24 pancakes, while Aki had 16 and fifth year senior Jackson Kaburaki had 11.

But perhaps the biggest breakout performance came from its young defense, namely middle linebacker Rhys Miyazawa. In just the first game, Miyazawa made a early push for the Dick Butkus Award with 29 tackles, including four for loss. Shaun Hijirikawa, the son of Cyan and a local product from Canberra, had three sacks while Steele Craftman added two. Outside linebacker Wes Narukami had two interceptions while three other players on defense had a pick apiece.

"I was very disappointed with the fumble we conceded," said Coach Harding after the game. "I told Jarryd, Ledley, Dana, Jiji and Cole this: fumbles after the catch are not acceptable on this team. You have to take the hit because you chose to play for this side and we hold all of you to a very high standard, a strict one as a result of how far we've gone in such a short time. Thankfully we had far more takeaways, but these types of mistakes will get me talking."

Leafa improve to 1-0 and continue their road trip against the Nebraska Cornhuskers.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

Cyan Hijirikawa, the mother of Shaun Hijirikawa.

Capital Cities Spirit Alive And Well In Leafa Town

By Carol Craftman
The Spirit News
September 1, 2076

Leafa College defensive tackle Shaun Hijirikawa was born Shaun Sebu Simonian and is a native of Canberra. The son of Cyan Hijirikawa and the great-grandson of Sebu Simonian, Shaun chose to legally change his last name to that of his mother in a tribute to his Japanese roots, even though he is part Armenian. His longtime friend is Shannon Kohashi, born Shannon Merchant, the son of fashionista socialite Wakaba Kohashi and the great-grandson of Ryan Merchant. In their will, Ryan Merchant and Sebu Simonian wanted the Capital Cities name and legacy to be passed down to "their great-grandsons who will be born in Australia."

That means Shannon, a keyboardist and Shaun, a guitarist, are the current members of the now-revived duo group Capital Cities, and are quietly composing new pieces for the first album from the band in over four decades. Ironically, Sebu played keyboard and Ryan played guitar, so it was unique to see the roles change.

Shirako Tsuyukawa, the wife of Shaun Hijirikawa

"Maybe it's just an Australian thing to do everything in reverse from the Yanks; I mean, we drive on the left side of the road all over the continent," said Shaun from his off-campus dorm in Canberra, shared with his wife Shirako Tsuyukawa, a resurrected form of the old Japanese destroyer Shiratsuyu from the 1940s and a talented guitarist who occasionally performs with the duo. "But me and Shan are good mates and we wanted to keep the vision of our old men alive. I didn't want my old man's beard, though, I prefer it to be clean-shaven.

"My mom always told me, you can be who you want to be. Diversify yourself. Make yourself noticed. Be a star. That's what she told me when I headed off to enroll at the college in January with Shira. I'm a music major and I could have been on a jazz ensemble. Instead, I decided to try something different, and that's play gridiron. I went through trials and now I'm on scholarship as a player, complete with a generous stipend. My good friend Shannon wanted to join me on the team and we're both in each other's company with all of the others. It's a good feeling."

Wakaba Kohashi, the mother of Shannon Kohashi.

"Gridiron's a great escape from the rigors of studying the fine arts," said Kohashi. "Me and Shaun are studying music and fashion and even coming up with designing hipster-themed outfits because the parent institution in Canada has a unique hipster culture. On the other hand, the temptation of diving into the vices of the good life has not lost itself on us, and we need to keep out wits about us.

Haruko Sameshima, the wife of Shannon Kohashi.

"My wife is Haruko Sameshima, a reincarnation of the 1940's destroyer Harusame, and Haruko reminds me of my obligations to family. She's expecting twin daughters in January, and we've been investing in new stuff for the kids. So I get to be a dad, a husband, an athlete, a scholar and musician. My mum is amazed that we can pull this off, but like Old Man Sebu once said, even in a hurricane of frowns, I know that we'll be safe and sound."

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Despite conceding safety, Leafa ease past Nebraska

By Carol Craftman
The Spirit News
September 7, 2076

The offence of Dan Harding's Leafa College Spirit Gridiron were wasteful in the third quarter, giving up a safety to the Nebraska Cornhuskers at Memorial Stadium in Lincoln, Nebraska, USA to start the term. However, the Spirit defence responded with two of their own and were masterful in reducing the No. 2 ranked team in college gridiron to said safety and a field goal as Leafa routed Nebraska 99-5.

Second-year quarterback Shae Katou-Aki had an insipid day throwing the ball, with just 128 yards and an interception. However, he ran for 302 yards and scored eight total touchdowns on offence. First-year defencive tackle Kieran Hyakuya had his breakout game on the line, making 11 tackles, four sacks and an interception.

Halfback Brett Inohara ran for 249 yards and two touchdowns while wideout Ledley Aki led the blockers with 20 pancake blockes. Wide receiver Jarryd Kaizuka also got in on the blocking feast with 13 pancakes. As for the blocking machine from last week, Tove Lo? Only one pancake block this game. Left outside linebacker Gilles Troyard had two sacks, left end Steele Craftman had three sacks and left end Case-Tasmin Jagger had two. Six other players on defence besides Hyakuya had a pick.

Leafa improve to 2-0 and face the Michigan Wolverines next week on the road.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

Kaori Miyazono and Kousei Arima, the parents of Hosei Arima.

Violinist turned gridiron king, Hosei Arima puts world on a string

By Carol Craftman
The Spirit News
September 9, 2076

Joseph Hosei Arima is the son of Kousei Arima and Kawori Miyazono, two talented classical music musicians. One of his prized possession is his mother's old violin, which he sometimes uses to play pop musical tunes to share to YouTube. Arima, however, loves to play gridiron, and this Sydney native plays left tackle for Dan Harding's Spirit.

"I've been surrounded by good teams in Sydney that play in the NRL: the Bulldogs, the Sea Eagles, the Roosters and of course, my team: the Rabbitohs," said Hosei at his dorm room in Canberra. "However, I had grown so big that I was too slow to play rugby league recreationally. So Mum suggests that I try my hand at playing American football as an offensive lineman.

"At the trials in June, I showed the coaches my makeshift technique. Thanks to proper coaching and mentoring, I passed the trials and made the team. I think it was my Mum's violin that proved to be the good luck charm I needed to make the list as a walk-on. Now I am on scholarship and although I don't mind playing occasionally as a violinist, I'm all about knowing X's and O's to anything, including life."

Leafa face the Michigan Wolverines this weekend as the Spirit hope to wrap up a successful season-opening road trip. The match will be broadcast on 5AO and the 5AO Leafa Sports Radio Network, One and One World Sports globally.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

Ryouta Watari, Kaori Miyazono, Kousei Arima and Tsubaki Sawabe. Ryouta and Tsubaki are the parents of Hirota Watari.

Hirota Watari and Satoshi Aiza: the unlikeliest of offensive linemen

By Carol Craftman
The Spirit News
September 10, 2076

Marshall Hirota Watari, a centre for Dan Harding's Leafa College Spirit Gridiron team, comes from an athletic family. His father, Ryouta, was a soccer great in his day; while his mother Tsubaki Sawabe was a softball star for the national team. Sports plays a major part in Hirota's life, and he decided to play gridiron for one reason, and one reason only.

Tsubaki Sawabe, the mother of Hirota Watari.

"I had gotten too big and to slow to play league," said Hirota from his dorm room on campus. "My good friend Hosei [Arima] suggested that we try out for the gridiron team at Leafa College because they need blockers for the skill players on the list. I applied some of the elements of league to my position, got the stance right, got the blocking right, and then I am told at a meeting with Coach [Harding] that I made the squad.

"That was, without a doubt, the best feeling ever. Now I get to manage in sport medicine, perhaps pursue a career in sports science, and help improve the performance of soccer and softball players, as well as gridiron players. I just hope I don't get called out for doping."

Takeshi Aiza and Emi Igawa, the parents of Satoshi Aiza.

The son of Takeshi Aiza and Emi Igawa, right guard Satoshi Aiza is another Sydney rugby league reject that has a knack for playing piano tunes. Known to Hosei and Hirota simply as Toshi, he adds massive depth to the Leafa College offensive line and will get ample playing time as the season progresses.

"I don't think anyone expected me to come up this strong," said Toshi. "My dad was a fierce competitor in his day, and my mum also was a stickler for execution. Both of my parents were pianists so they were surprised that I decided to head to Canberra to play sports. I told them, 'I'll still study the fine arts; I haven't lost my knack for playing pianos or keyboards.' This year and onward, I'm gonna make mum and dad proud of this Leafa Boy."

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

Hayato Hayama, the grandfather of Sol Hayama.

"I don't need the visit, I'm joining Gero": Sol Hayama

By Carol Craftman
The Spirit News
September 11, 2076

Solomon Shizuo Hayama, the grandson of Hayato Hayama and Yukino Yukinoshita, and a close friend of cornerback Geronimo Hikigaya, is a third-year upperclassman at Brisbane State High School as well as a native of Brisbane. A recent adopter of the sport of gridiron, Sol, as he is known, was offered a scholarship to join the team as a tight end. Turns out, it was something that he could not pass up. Sol makes history as the first-ever Instacommit for Leafa College.

"I don't even need to worry about making the visit, I am going to commit to the school and join Gero in Canberra," said Sol from his residence in the heart of town. "I know I was born to be a Leafa Boy and I need to show everyone that I can be a start at the tight end position from the get-go.

"I heard that lots of local and national recruiting is taking place to fill in the void but there are some people who aren't staying in Australia and are taking the plunge to head across the Pacific. They're crazy. Leafa is home to the best college gridiron team in the world. It's our sport now, we play the game better than the Yanks, Germans and Japanese combined, even though I'm part Japanese myself. So I want to take this time to say that it is an honor to be part of the greatest gridiron programme in the country and I will do my best to uphold the tradition that's been building here since the formative years in the 40s."

Leafa face the Michigan Wolverines this weekend as the Spirit hope to wrap up a successful season-opening road trip. The match will be broadcast on 5AO and the 5AO Leafa Sports Radio Network, One and One World Sports globally.

Last edited:

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Leafa complete road sweep, pound Michigan 125-42

By Carol Craftman
The Spirit News
September 13, 2076

Dan Harding's Leafa College Spirit Gridiron delivered a clean sweep of their first three road opponents, all ranked in the polls, to start the 2076 college gridiron season. At Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA, they were dominant in their 125-42 victory over the Michigan Wolverines. Quarterback Shae Katou-Aki passed for 337 yards, ran for 240 more and scored eight touchdowns on offence.

Defencively, Leafa were led by middle linebacker Rhys Miyazawa, who had 21 tackles, three tackles for loss and a forced fumble. Halfback Brett Inohara ran for 194 yards and three touchdowns, halfback Jack Fukushina ran for 122 yards and a major score, halfback Dana Rinaldi ran for 88 yards and two touchdowns, backup quarterback Kaz Kasumigaoka scored a pair of majors and wide receiver Jiji Petricca caught 10 passes for 143 yards and two touchdowns.

Wideout Ledley Aki led the blockers with 20 pancake blocks while wideout Jarryd Kaizuka added 17 and Petricca added 13. Left end Steele Craftman continued his strong outing with three sacks while right end Ben Ayugase and defencive tackle Kieran Hikigaya added two. Strong safety Gilles Troyard also record an interception in the rout.

Leafa improve to 3-0 and return to action next week at home against the Air Force Falcons in Homecoming 2076.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Brett Inohara sidelined eight weeks with broken fibula

By Carol Craftman
The Spirit News
September 14, 2076

Ahead of this week's Homecoming Game between the Leafa College Spirit and Air Force Falcons, a source for the Spirit News has confirmed that halfback Brett Inohara suffered a broken fibula in the Spirit's 125-42 rout of the Michigan Wolverines last weekend at Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA. The injury means that Inohara may not be available until the conference championship game, and that is only if he is at least probable to play. It also means that Leafa are now only three-deep at the halfback position and Jack Fukushina, a true freshman, moves up to the starting tailback slot.

"We now have three freshman halfbacks who are healthy to play and we can't afford to have any more injuries, especially with the short list we have to work with," said Spirit Gridiron head coach Dan Harding. "I tell the players that they need to take care of their bodies and not put themselves into a situation where they can't contribute to the team. At one time, we had 70 players on the list. Now we are down to 50 and everyone is now on notice with this injury.

"Jack's been working real hard for this opportunity to be a leader and a go-getter for the Spirit and is being rewarded for his commitment, albeit at the expense of one of the unwanted collateral mystiques of the game claiming Brett. I told Brett, 'Get on with your studies, pass your courses, train your upper body. Don't lose heart, hope or faith. When you are healthy, we'll slide you back up to the starting spot but keep the faith."

Leafa host the Air Force Falcons in Homecoming 2076: Celebrating The American Tricentennial. The match is scheduled for September 19, 2076 and will be broadcast by 5AO and 5AO Leafa Sports Radio Network, One and globally on One World Sports.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

Leafa Homecoming 2076: Celebrating The American Tricentennial

By Carol Craftman
The Spirit News
September 14, 2076

The Leafa College Associated Students (LeafaCAS) are hosting Homecoming this week. This year's edition is entitled "Celebrating The American Tricentennial" and salutes the 300th birthday of the United States of America, which has sparked celebrations around the world. This year's Homecoming Committee Chair is Isabel Kaizuka, the wife of Leafa wide receiver Jarryd Kaizuka.

Isabel Kaizuka, the wife of Jarryd Kaizuka.

"I want to take this time to tell everyone: God Bless America," said Isabel at a rally on Parliament Hill. "We are a great country, but the country in this world that watches over all of us is the United States, our No. 1 ally and friend through thick and thin. We owe our thanks to the United States for their tireless dedication and efforts to helping collaborate with us to help make our world safer and better to live in. It truly is the land of the free and the home of the brave, and this homecoming is dedicated to America."

The Homecoming game will be broadcast via television on broadcast partner One and One World Sports globally. On radio, the game will be broadcast live and online on flagship radio station 5AO 980 AM Canberra, as well as the 5AO Leafa Sports Radio Network, including the affiliate radio station from Melbourne 3TK 710 AM, affiliate radio station from Perth hit92.9, Gold Coast affiliate radio station Gold FM 92.5, Sydney affiliate 2TK 1350 AM, Brisbane affiliate 4LF 1290 AM, Newcastle affiliate Fly98.1 and Adelaide affiliate Cruise 1323.

The Schedule is as follows:
(all times in AEST)

Tuesday, September 15

8:00 a.m. - Morning Prayers - Leafa Convocation Centre
Speaker: Archbishop Robert Royce Griffiths
Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Canberra

12 p.m. - Homecoming Registration Opens - Kirigaya Hall (Administration Building)
Registered participants must check in here for their Passport and vouchers for The Saturday Homecoming Barbie at Subaru Pleiades Stadium Car Park.

All Day - Museums: Spend the afternoon visiting one of the Leafa College Museums. Admission is free with your Homecoming Passport.
* Diomedea Museum of Japanese Animation, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
* D.W. Streets Museum of Natural Sciences 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., miyazaki.madoka.ca
* Leafa College Heritage Museum of Australian History, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
-Museums open all day Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday

Leafa College Garden: Find your peace of mind visiting the Leafa College Garden and Nature Reserve, located next to the Leafa Convocation Centre. Admission is free with your Homecoming Passport. Open 6 a.m. to sunset, all week.

Libraries: Admission is free at the following locations with your Homecoming Passport:
* Shinozaki Library, 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
* Ayano Library 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Special Exhibit at Shinozaki Library: The American Tricentennial Experience - The History of America, through the eyes of Australians.
For more information, please visit the Shinozaki Library website.
Libraries open all day Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday

1 p.m. Classes: Participants are invited to sit in on a variety of undergraduate classes:
Classes TBA, see College Web Site

2 p.m. and 3 p.m. - Konno Library Tours
Take a guided tour of the Konno Library at the Mitakihara School of Graduate Studies at Leafa College. Tours will meet at the reception area inside the front door and will leave at 2:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. Space on each tour is limited, first come, first serve.

3 p.m. - Open band practice
Leafa College Co-Directors of Band, Kumiko Oumae and Shuuichi Tsukamoto, hold a special band practice with members of the Leafa College Spirit Pep Band, the college's marching pep band.

3:30 p.m. Campus tours led by The Sleeping Knights
Paying tribute to the defunct guild in the game Alfheim Online, the Sleeping Knights is the premiere student-run organization that is dedicated to serving the Leafa College community, the City of Canberra and the Australian Capital Territory and is owned and operated by the Leafa College Associated Students. Tours are conducted in English, Korean, Chinese and Japanese.
1. Leafa College General Tour
2. Beyond The Campus: A Tour of Leafa Square, The Dorms and More
3. Touring the Leafa College Garden: One With Nature
Also will take place on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. All tours start at Yuuki Konno Memorial, near Mother's Rosario House, the administrative headquarters of the Sleeping Knights.

4:30 p.m. Campus tours led by The Sleeping Knights
1. Leafa College Athletic Facilities
2. Leafa Architecture: Reinventing and Redefining The Way You Learn
3. Leafa Garden Tea Ceremony (refreshments provided)
Also will take place on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. All tours start at Yuuki Konno Memorial, near Mother's Rosario House, the administrative headquarters of the Sleeping Knights.

5 p.m. - Shino Asada House Association Distinguished Australian Award
Honoring the late 42nd President of the United States, Barack Hussein Obama. Accepting the award: Sasha and Malia Obama
Presentation of Award, Nao Tomori, Provost, Leafa College, Shino Asada House Conference Room (Doors open at 4:00 p.m.)

Wednesday, September 16
9 a.m.- 3 p.m. - Homecoming Registration - Kirigaya Hall (Administration Building)
Registered participants must check in here for their Passport and vouchers for The Saturday Homecoming Barbie at Yunipingu Field Parking Lot.

5 p.m. - Leafa Social Club Concert
Tickets required: $50 for adults, $40 for students and $30 for pensioners. Tickets can be purchased directly through the Leafa Box Office by phone at 061 2 51LEAFA (061 2 51125161) or online at the box office website.

Thursday, September 17
9 a.m.- 3 p.m. - Homecoming Registration - Kirigaya Hall (Administration Building)
Registered participants must check in here for their Passport and vouchers for The Saturday Homecoming Barbie at Subaru Pleiades Stadium Car Park.

5 p.m. - Men's Water Polo vs. UCLA
Aniplex Campus Pool

7 p.m. - Leafa College Greens FC vs. Box Hill Hawks
Battle for the Mother's Rosario Cup, Leafa Oval. Tickets required: $60 for adults, $40 for students and $30 for pensioners. Tickets can be purchased directly through the Leafa Box Office by phone at 061 2 51LEAFA (061 2 51125161) or online at the box office website.

7 p.m. - Leafa College Battle of the Bands, Tsuboi Centre and Exhibition Hall
Tickets required: $50 for adults, $30 for students and $20 for pensioners. Tickets can be purchased directly through the Leafa Box Office by phone at 061 2 51LEAFA (061 2 51125161) or online at the box office website.

7 p.m. - Men's Futsal vs. North Canberra
J.C. Staff Arena, Main Court

7:30 p.m. - Leafa College Rugby Club vs. UC Vikings
The A-1 Pictures Canberra Classic, Yunipingu Field. Battle for the Dicey Cafe Bowl. Tickets required: $60 for adults, $40 for students and $25 for pensioners. Tickets can be purchased directly through the Leafa Box Office by phone at 061 2 51LEAFA (061 2 51125161) or online at the box office website.

Friday, September 18

5 p.m. - Women's Volleyball vs. Simon Fraser Clan
Battle for the Trophy of Hope. Exhibition, Main Court, Kirigaya Family Pyramid

Approx. 8 p.m. - Pep Rally at Main Court, Kirigaya Family Pyramid
Following the Women's Volleyball game vs. Simon Fraser, the 2075 Leafa College Spirit Team will be introduced. Speeches by head coach Dan Harding, offensive team captain Andrew Mitsuka, defensive team captain Ray Mononobe, Leafa College athletic director Haru Onodera and college provost Nao Tomori will be made.

9 p.m. - Evening activities
Visit the world-renowned Dicey Cafe or your favorite restaurant at the Campus.
Meet Your Mates: Special gathering for Leafa College Sports Society at Dicey Cafe, cash bar @ 9:00 p.m.

Saturday, September 19
5:00 - 9:00 a.m. - Brekkie at the Dorms - Passport holders are invited to enjoy a hot breakfast at the dorm of their choice. Pay at the door (cash please), cost is $15 per person.

7 a.m. - Morning Prayers - Leafa Convocation Centre
Speaker: Archbishop Robert Royce Griffiths
Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Canberra

7 a.m. to 9 p.m. - Homecoming Headquarters and Registration - Leafa Tower

10 a.m. - Men's Soccer vs. Georgetown
Miyamori Field

11 a.m. Women's field hockey vs. Stanford
Ogasawara Field

1 p.m. Women's Soccer vs. Auburn
Miyamori Field

5 p.m. to kickoff Pre-Game Tailgate at Athletics
Pack a picnic and set up a tailgate with your friends prior to the Leafa-Air Force gridiron game. The Spirit Tailgate Area will be located inside Subaru Pleiades Gate 5. Cars can park at the adjacent car park for $50, payable on-side. Tailgate is permitted for 2 hours prior to kickoff and for one hour following the game.

8 p.m. Gridiron Kick-Off
Cheer on the Leafa College Spirit as they take on the Air Force Falcons. A block of tickets for Leafa Homecoming is currently reserved through the Leafa College Box Office. Tickets are required and cost $60 each, children ages 12 and under are free. Tickets can be purchased directly through the Leafa Box Office by phone at 061 2 51LEAFA (061 2 51125161) or online at the box office website.

7 p.m. - 4th quarter - The Homecoming Barbie
Barbecue in the Yunupingu Field Parking Lot, Gates 7-11. A voucher for the "Canberra Barbie Society Fan Zone" is included in your Homecoming registration price. Please be sure to check-in at the Homecoming registration desk to receive your meal ticket. Drinks will be sold separately on-site. A variety of family a children's activities will be offered in the "Fan Zone," including face painting, music, sports games, prizes and raffles.

9 p.m. Women's Netball vs. Canberra Darters
Battle for the Asuna Yuuki Memorial Cup. Exhibition game, Kirigaya Family Pyramid

9 p.m. - A Symphony Dedicated To America The Beautiful
Presented by the Leafa College Philharmonic (LeafaPhil), Tsuboi Centre.
Ticket Required: Regular: $60.00, $50.00, $40.00;
Students: $40.00, $35.00, $30.00; Pensioners (65+): $30.00,
$25.00, $20.00.
Tickets can be purchased directly through the Leafa Box Office by phone at 061 2 51LEAFA (061 2 51125161) or online at the box office website.

Sunday, September 20

9 a.m. - Leafa College 10K Race Through The Streets
Get ready to put on your running or walking shoes and take a cruise around the different places on campus and in Canberra. The route starts at Leafa Tower and will weave around the city before ending at Campus Square. Registration is $80.00 ($50.00 for students with ID, $30 for pensioners) at the Madman Quad tent from 6 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. All proceeds benefit the Konno Foundation For HIV Prevention. Concessions and medals will be provided at finish line. This is a noncompetitive run/walk. No cash prizes will be awarded.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

Nana Ebina and Umaru Doma, the mother and aunt (respectively) of Brock Ebina-Doma.

"I bring Auntie everywhere I go": Brock Ebina-Doma

By Carol Craftman
The Spirit News
September 17, 2076

These days, Leafa College Spirit Gridiron first-year punter Brock Ebina-Doma has racked up the frequent flyer miles. From Canberra, to Los Angeles, to Chicago, to Omaha, to Detroit, to Los Angeles and back to Canberra, the jet lag hasn't affected Brock's form. The secret? A living plushie called Umaru-chan, a plushie that has the spirit of Brock's aunt Umaru, allowing her to experience Brock's daily life while minding her own. It eats, sleeps, talks, and even goes to the restroom and washes up. In short, it is a plush with soul-lots of it, and as a result, it has become the team's de factor mascot. Brock likes to call the plushie the same as the human version: Auntie.

"I bring Auntie along with me everywhere I go: on the plane, on the bus, on the sidelines with the equipment, everywhere," said Brock while practicing coffin corner drills at Houraisan Centre. "She always dotes on me and gives me some tips on how to do better at my position. I assume she is simulating the game over in Launceston in dynasty mode when she has her free time.

"She's never been to America until her plushie form was made thanks to the power of technology from researchers at Mitakihara University. So our Canadian friends allow me to have essentially Auntie living with me in my dorm. Sometimes she walks by herself, sometimes she sits on my shoulder, sometimes she sits on my head, but generally I carry her like a stuffed animal.

"She now knows what a men's locker room looks and smells like. She also knows how it feels to be in a dorm bedroom with all guys and all girls in their underwear. It was an experience that she would never live down, likely because Mum [Nana Ebina] already experienced the touch of a man and loved it. Auntie's hoping to have a child herself through Madocoit with Aunt Kirie [Motoba] but it has a high price tag. She's thinking about it, though.

"I told my mates, I'm making Auntie our mascot for the next four seasons. I will complete my eligibility here and everybody will get to know my aunt very well. You'll have fun talking with her, eating with her, sharing dirty secrets and lewd sweet talk with her. She's my aunt, she's an adult, she can handle it. So I hope everybody on campus get to know Auntie. She's amazing. Really."

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

Kanade, Akane and Aoi Sakurada. Kanade and Aoi are the aunts of Jack Fukushina, while Akane is the mother.

Jumpin' Jack Flash Under The Pump For Leafa Boys On Homecoming

By Carol Craftman
The Spirit News
September 18, 2076

Morning dawns, and Jonathan Hajime Fukushina wakes up at 6 a.m., bright and early, has his Weet-Bix and goes out for a nice jog in the middle of early spring around Leafa College to greet some of the local staffers and students. Fleet of foot, graceful and nimble in spite of his slightly portly stature, the man his peers call "Jumpin' Jack Flash" is a halfback that can catch the ball like a slotback and run with the elusivity of greats from the past, like Marshall Faulk, Earl Campbell, Barry Sanders, Steven Jackson, Chris Johnson, Reggie Bush, Jerome Bettis, Marshawn Lynch and Adrian Peterson, legendary heroes of the game renowned for their glamour and skills.

The son of a former royal and a technological know-it-all, Jack Fukushina was named as the starting tailback following a nasty injury to second-year halfback Brett Inokuma that sees him sidelined for at least eight weeks, or more than two thirds of the entire season including recovery. But despite his upbringing and affluence (and yes, he was born in a hospital during a hurricane in Honolulu, Hawaii, thankfully, Mum and Dad were all right), Fukushina is concerned about one thing.

"I don't want to get injured either," so said Jumpin' Jack Flash after cooling down at the newly-created co-ed onsen adjacent to Houraisan Centre. "I worked too bloody hard to get my own legs broken, I want to be able to finish the season off without injury. Coach [Harding] is putting me on notice because he knows I'll be getting the lion's share of the reps. I'm on the clock, and I'll do my best for my mum, too."

The notoriety of Fukushina has grown enough that after a game in which he gains at least 200 yards rushing, the Leafa Spirit Band plays "Jumpin' Jack Flash" in its entirety as part of its postgame set, causing the Leafa student body to bounce and wave green flags with lightning bolts.

"You all remember Jack Tatto right?" said Leafa booster Rez Arslan, a 44-year old service worker and trucker from nearby Queanbeyan, NSW, referring to current Cincinnati Bengal Jackson Tatara. "Well, we have a successor to Jack Tatto, the soon to be world famous Jumpin' Jack Flash Fukushina. We have continuity around these parts. As we all know, injuries are a part of sport, and we hope Flash keeps his wits about him. We need him to come up huge because young Seamus [Shae Katou-Aki] can't do it alone. When it comes to youngsters like Jumpin' Jack Flash, it truly is a gas."

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Kamiya runs rampant, Kaz gets snubbed as Leafa smash Air Force

By Carol Craftman
The Spirit News
September 20, 2076

Fifth-year cornerback Sebastian Kamiya had the biggest game of his long playing career for Dan Harding's Leafa Spirit Gridiron. Despite just two tackles, Kamiya set a new record for most interceptions in a game with 10, including one returned for a touchdown as the Spirit smashed the Air Force Falcons, 196-3, on Homecoming 2076. Quarterback Shae Katou-Aki passed for 516 yards and ran for 239 yards, scoring 14 touchdowns on offence for the Spirit.

However, there was one downer to this game: Kaz Kasumigaoka had a shocker of a performance, failing to connect on two fourth-down passes with a short field to work with. After the second turnover on downs, the decision was made by Coach Harding to pull Kasumigaoka and bring on Rocky Naoe and Keisuke Natsume to have some reps under center after the margin was 140-0 and the second string had their chance to impress.

"I told Kaz after the game, 'Listen, you'll have to take a long hard look at yourself and ask if you still want to commit your heart and soul to this team,'" said Coach Harding to the press. "He did not look very good under center and rushed his passes, although the receivers were guilty as well for the lack of communication. I told him, 'I'm going to start Rocky under center when the reserves come on because turnovers on downs are not allowed on this team.'"
When asked if Kasumigaoka would sit out the flight to Boise, Idaho, USA in three weeks, he said, "Listen, your job as journalists is to let us make these types of decisions in-house. You don't decide what we do. You leave that work to us and focus on writing about the performances of our players but you never, at any point, try to influence our decision making when it comes to determining our list for away matches. You leave that to us and worry about other things."

Halfback Jack Fukushina ran for 301 yards and six touchdowns while catching nine passes for 116 yards and two more majors. Wide receivers Jarryd Kaizuka and Jiji Petricca each had two receiving touchdowns, while Ledley Aki had a breakout performance with four passes caught for major scores. Kaizuka and Petricca also led the blockers with 21 and 20 pancake blocks, respectively. On defence, Case Tasmin-Jagger and Val Kiryuu-Cranell each had five sacks while safety Geronimo Hikigaya added two interceptions.

Leafa improve to 4-0 and will return to action on Oct. 10 against the Boise State Broncos at Bronco Stadium in Boise.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

Anko Isuna, the mother of Charles Mitsuka.

Andrew's younger stepbrother Charles will join Leafa in 2077

By Carol Craftman
The Spirit News
September 22, 2076

Leafa Spirit Gridiron fullback Andrew Mitsuka, the offencive captain for Season 2076, has a younger stepbrother by the name of Charles Brownlow Seiji Mitsuka, named after the AFL's Brownlow Medal. He is the son of Souji Mitsuka, the father of Andrew, and Anko Isuna, the world-famous Tail Black and a famous writer/composer. Charles is nicknamed "Charlie from Lara" like Andrew is named "Andy from Lara." If he was a woman, he'd go by the name of Tail White and his female name would be Suzuya.

Last weekend, during an official visit, Charles was given the red-carpet treatment and after the Leafa College Spirit smashed Air Force on Homecoming, he declared that he would succeed his big brother at the fullback position, ensuring that the Mitsuka family bloodline would go on for a few more years.

"I had no doubts they were looking for a fullback to take over for my brother and I decided that I wanted to check out the campus," said Charlie from his home in Lara. "It turned out to be a great fit and I decided to commit to the programme. I expect to get plenty of playing time since this position isn't exactly as prized as others.

Anko with Souji Mitsuka, the father of Charles and Andrew Mitsuka.

"Mum's an ambitious person and is a go-getter. I inherited that type of thinking from him and Dad. She showed me her pictures of her posing in her mecha outfit and I thought, I'm so glad my mom looked cool when she was younger, I need to be as popular as her. I idolize my big brother because he was the first in our family to play gridiron. Now I get to follow him and be the next Mitsuka to play for the Leafa Boys."

"Chaz is a kid that I have had the honor of raising ever since I gave birth to him," said Anko. "He's got the sprightly frame of my husband and my resourceful savvy. I thought he was going to stay away from sports, though, until I found out that Andy was playing gridiron and Chaz was watching his practices from the terraces.

"I didn't think I wanted to stop him after that. I think the trail he chose to follow is the right one and I hope he makes a fortune playing the position of fullback but at the same time, a Plan B wouldn't hurt. But in any case, he needs to make sure not to ruin the glasses I bought for him before he set foot in the capital!"

Last edited:

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

The Mystique Of The Billycan

By Carol Craftman
The Spirit News
September 30, 2076

A billycan is a lightweight cooking pot in the form of a metal bucketcommonly used used for boiling water, making tea or cooking overcampfire or to carry water. These utensils are more commonly known simply as a billy or occasionally as a billy can (billy tin or billy pot in Canada). The term billy or billycan is particularly associated with Australian usage, but is also used in the UK and Ireland. Elsewhere, there is no special term for a pot designed for camping use.

It is widely accepted that the term "billycan" is derived from the large cans used for transporting bouilli or bully beef on Australia-bound ships or during exploration of the outback, which after use were modified for boiling water over a fire; however there is a suggestion that the word may be associated with the Aboriginal billa (meaning water; cf. Billabong).

In Australia, the billy has come to symbolise the spirit of exploration of the outback and is a widespread symbol of bush life, although now regarded mostly as a symbol of an age that has passed. To boil the billy most often means to make tea. "Billy Tea" is the name of a popular brand of tea long sold in Australian grocers and supermarkets. Billies feature in many of Henry Lawson's stories and poems. Banjo Paterson's most famous of many references to the billy is surely in the first verse and chorus of Waltzing Matilda: "And he sang as he looked at the old billy boiling", which was later changed by the Billy Tea Company to "And he sang as he watched and waited 'til his billy boiled...".

Some Australians who live and work in remote area still use a billy, and billies remain in use as props for tourist interactions, however use of billies has is restricted in modern Australia. In recent years, conscious of the important role played by billies in lightweight backpacking and mountaineering, much research and innovation has gone into improving their design and performance. Issues include:

• Weight: Billies are typically made from aluminium, stainless steel or titanium. Handles are often omitted.
  • Durability: Aluminium billies may be easily dented. Quality billies are often made from either stronger materials or protected by hard anodised surfaces.
  • Thermal efficiency: In order to save fuel and speed-up cooking, some modern billies have heatsinks integrated into their bases.
  • Packability: Billies are often sold in nesting sets and the inner billy is often used to store the stove or other items. To aid in nesting, handles may be removable, hinged or omitted.
  • Versatility: Frying pan shaped billies may be used as lids and lids may be used as plates. Small pots may be used as drinking mugs.
  • Ease of use: Non-stick finishes are common, to make cooking and cleaning easier.
  • Weatherproofing: Some manufacturers produce "integrated cooking systems" consisting of one or more pots and a stove, designed to work as a wind-resistant integrated unit.

General-purpose pot handles, often called billy-grips, can be bought separately or may be supplied with a set of billies. These have a hinged pliers-like construction and may be used to grip almost any pot with a lipped rim. The term "spondonicle" has also been applied to these handles, by some Australian users.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

Akane Sakurada and Hana Satou, the mothers of Jack Fukushina and Joel Sakurada, respectively.

Jumpin' Jack Flash's cousins joining in on the party

By Carol Craftman
The Spirit News
October 6, 2076

Two more recruits from Launceston, Tasmania have committed to the Leafa College Spirit Gridiron Team for Season 2077. Billy Joel Shuuhei "Joel" Sakurada, the son of Shuu Sakurada and Hana Satou, is an outside linebacker that received offers from Nebraska, Alabama, Ohio State and Michigan but committed to the Leafa College Spirit following an official visit two weeks ago. Last weekend, offensive tackle Scott Haruyuki Sakurada, a son of Haruka Sakurada and Sachiko "Sacchan" Yonezawa, also committed to the Spirit following an official visit. Scott turned down offers from a couple of service academies to commit to Leafa.

"We're quietly picking up players at positions that we need and the fact that they are cousins of Jack Fukushina is an added bonus," said Coach Harding after practice. "Joel's a linebacker that we've been scouting for a few years since I began this program. He's got good run-stopping ability and acceleration but we need to improve his strength and durability. Scott's a big beast who has the form and stance fundamentals down after a stint at junior level. I like his chances at gaining valuable experience next year at the right tackle position, since Tove [Lo] will be graduating this season."

"My mom told me that Cousin Jack had joined the Leafa Boys so I thought I wanted to follow him, me and Scotty," said Joel from his home in Launceston, where his mother was serving some pigs in blankets. "Jack, Scotty and I were dominant at our positions when we played together on the Gorillas, as well as our youngest cousin Adam. I think Coach Harding looked at our game film and saw something in both of us, that's why he invited us to visit the campus and also watch Jack and the others scrimmage. We were sold. Mum says to me, 'Get on move on, boys, your future awaits, get in there!' That's what she told me."

Sachiko Yonezawa, the mother of Scott Sakurada.

"We like the stadium name, too," added Scott from his home in the outskirts of town. "Subaru Pleiades Stadium. Fantastic moniker. Good trusted car brand, even though my Mom drives a Holden. But it's all about the college experience and the tradition. They have a nice garden, a gorgeous bell tower, clean buildings, resourceful students, courteous and professional staff, excellent catering...thus, me and Joel concluded that Leafa is a uni with the package, the gift, and that's why we're gonna be here next January."

Leafa College continue their 2076 campaign on the road against the Boise State Broncos at Bronco Stadium in Boise, Idaho, USA. The match is live via radio on 5AO and the 5AO Leafa Sports Radio Network, and via television on One locally and One World Sports worldwide.