• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Hachiko's Spirit of Leafa College Football Dynasty

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
After seeing that Pangya Global has indelibly dropped the ball by not giving me my rares during the Black Friday promotion AND the fact that I am too damn pissed to take part in the Tee Time with the Game Masters event...I decided to finally start a new mega-dynasty on Nutopia. No, I have not given up on the Pony Conference Dynasty, that will be resumed next year, but it will only have results, standings, and predicted orders of finish, all in plain text.

The rules for this dynasty are the same as the Mitakihara Magi dynasty. As this is an official extension of the Magi dynasty, the first season is in 2072, although some of the players portrayed in the first few years may suggest that the rest of America is in a time warp. In deference to San Jose State's legacy on Nutopia, this team will replace Hawai'i. You're welcome.

This was originally a Blogger exclusive, but seeing that I have a renewed drive to do more silly football simming, I am bringing this to you. Enjoy. Music...start.

leafabanner1.png

Leafa College is a comprehensive four-year research college located in Canberra, Australia. They are part of the Mitakihara University System, which includes Mitakihara University, Mitakihara University Japan and Mitakihara-Squamish. Founded in 2045 at Mitakihara University-Canberra Campus before being renamed by the first provost of the college, Suguha Kirigaya, Leafa College offers the same list of majors and sports as the rest of the Mitakihara University System.

Leafa is based in Greenway, just outside the city centre.

The football team was established in 2048 as part of its plan to incorporate sports and physical education into its curriculum. The team name is called the Spirit, and until the end of 2071, it was a participant in Gridiron NSW. Starting with the 2072-73 school year, the Leafa Spirit athletics teams will play in the Mountain West Conference of the National Collegiate Athletic Association. As one of the most endowed institutions in Australia, a good deal of its budget goes into transportation for its teams and for visiting teams from the United States and elsewhere.

Mandawuy Yunupingu Field, named after the legendary Aboriginal Australia singer and educator from the band Yothu Yindi, is the home field of the Spirit and is considered one of the best places to watch a gridiron game in the country. It was the former home of Viking Park, the home pitch of the now-defunct soccer club Tuggeranong United until Mitakihara University acquired the stadium and made it part of the newly constructed campus in 2045. The layout of the university exactly resembles that of California State University, Long Beach, with one difference: the bell tower, Leafa Tower, is in the center of the campus quadrangle, Leafa Quad.

Shaun Kirigaya, a former Mitakihara Magi linebacker, was the head coach at Leafa from 2048 until 2072. The new head coach at Leafa, starting with the 2072 college football season, is Dan Harding, the great-grandson of former Hawai'i wide receiver Scott Harding.

Shaun Kirigaya "building something fantastic at Leafa": Yuma Chitose

By Gil Rivas
The Daily Magi
October 7, 2049

The Leafa College Spirit American Football Club are the newest addition to the New South Wales Gridiron Football League in Australia. Their head coach is former Mitakihara Magi linebackers coach Shaun Kirigaya, and the attitude is winning games big. Thanks to Coach Kirigaya, there is a strong interest in gridiron in the nation's capital, and the Executive Director of Leafa College Sports and Fitness, Yuma Chitose, is excited about the hire.

"When we hired Shaun, we knew we were hiring a winner," Chitose said, watching practice at Mandawuy Yunupingu Field, the home of Leafa's gridiron, athletics and soccer teams. "He loves Australia, its hospitality and its friendliness. Shaun is the type of person you can have a beer with or watch NRL with. He's that approachable.

"When he assembled the coaching staff here at Leafa College, he had the best of everyone from New South Wales and Queensland. Jeff Ogborne, formerly the head coach at Sydney Uni, is now the offensive coordinator, while Rick Diporse, the former head coach of the Gold Coast Stingrays, is the defensive coordinator. Our offensive coaches are NSW-based, while our defensive coaches are Queensland-based."

"With that in mind, we have been able to pull out some impressive results, and that comes with recruiting the best out there. We heavily recruit players in the Pacific, Japan, Korea and even in Germany. We started the season with a 70-3 victory over the Bondi Raiders in Week 1, a 63-7 win over the Central Coast Sharks in Week 2, a 52-21 run-up over the Newcastle Cobras in Week 3, a 45-10 demolition over the Northwestern Predators in Week 4, a 42-0 shutout of the Penrith City Outlaws in Week 5 and a 77-10 slamming of the Sutherland Seahawks in Week 6.

"This week, we face Sydney Uni for the very first time, and there is a trophy up for grabs: the Friendship Shield. It's a shield that has the logo of the Sydney Lions on one end and the crest of the Mitakihara University System on the other. We will be facing them on the ninth this month, and tickets have been sold out. The bookies have as an overwhelming favorite, but Coach Kirigaya knows that oddds mean nothing and he will get the players focused.

"My hope is that we end up winning the national championship on Australia Day if we end up winning the Gridiron NSW title. I want this to be the start of our own dynasty, of our own tradition here at Leafa College. Hopefully, it will inspire our teams to also perform and win championships too, and lift their Spirit higher."

Last edited:

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
With the blessings of the estate of Ken Walther, Ken's great-great-grandson, Dan Walther '71, a music major and a session drummer, penned the lyrics of Leafa College's official fight song as part of a college-wide initiative to establish school spirit and camaraderie ahead of the college officially being the first Australia-based member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association. The original version of the West Coast Football Club's song was used as the melody for the fight song, which was approved by the Leafa College Associated Students (LeafaCAS) in Dec. 2071.

In every town, from coast to coast,
You'll see us, far and near.
We bleed the green and gold and white.
The Leafa Spirit's here.

We're The Spirit, the Leafa Spirit,
And we're here to show you why
We're a big team, living the big dream.
We're The Spirit! We're on a high!

We play the game with passion
And we play it very well.
And with a bit of Leafa magic,
Hear our Tower's Victory Bells!

So watch out, all you Yankees
Across the ocean, from the East.
Cause you'll get more than just a cracking game.
You'll get a Leafa Spirit feast!

Oi oi oi!

-D. Walther '71

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
The secondary fight song, "Up There, The Spirit," is based on the classical Australian Rules Football ballad, "Up There Cazaly." Michael Kotaro "Nazza" Hanasaki '70, a chemical engineering major who also played half-forward for the Leafa College Football Club and is currently a member of the Carlton Blues, penned this song, which was approved as a secondary fight song in Dec. 2071.

In the capital of Australia
Is a school that loves to play
With a drive that lasts throughout the years
And goes to win the day.
We hail from Canberra
And when it's game day you will see
That all the signs, they all will point to
A Leafa victory.

Up there, the Spirit! Stand up and cheer!
Lift high your banners, this will be our year!
Up there, the Spirit! Stand up and fight!
Onward to victory, the Green, Gold and White!

Now we do more than just athletics.
We come for knowledge, too.
Every Spirit team has leadership
And we learn a lot from you.
Though victories and losses,
We're stronger every day.
And when the battle's done and the war is won
You will hear us say...

Up there, the Spirit, we're out there to win.
Pride of Australia, never give in.
Up there, the Spirit, morning or night,
We're standing with you, the Green, Gold and White!

The Green, Gold and White!

-M. Hanasaki '70

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
The customary college chant at Leafa College is a modification of the enduring "Aussie Aussie Aussie!" chant heard at international sporting events around the world involving Australians. "Leafa Leafa Leafa!" was invented by the Sigma Pi fraternity at the college in 2070 during a basketball game involving the Spirit and Monash University.

The fraternity has refused to name exactly the member who created the chant, saying, "Trade secrets mate. If we were to actually tell ya, we'd have to bash yer fuckin' head in, mate. We swear on our mums!"

Leafa Leafa Leafa! A A A!
Leafa! A! Leafa! A!

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
A traditional chant among supporters of the Western Sydney Wanderers and Central Coast Mariners, Leafa's version of "Who Do We Sing For?" incorporates the FC Tokyo goal celebration chant, which uses the melody of "Tokyo Boogie Woogie." This was introduced in 2069 at a women's intramurals soccer game between the first and second year students by the Zeta Phi Rho fraternity. As with the Sigmi Pi fraternity, Zeta Phi Rho refuses to exactly mention who created the chant, citing trade secret restrictions.

During this chant, it is customary for the students to go shirtless, bouncing up and down and spinning like mindless tops.

Who Do We Sing For? We Sing For Leafa!
Na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na,
Na, na, na, na, na, na, na,
Na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na!
Wasshoi! Wasshoi!
Na, na, na, na, na, na,
Na, na, na, na,
Na, na, na, na, na, na, na!
Yay!
(repeat)

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
The song "Hail To Leafa College" is Leafa College's alma mater, penned by Cruz "Caddy" Franklin, the great-grandson of Australian Rules Football player Lance "Buddy" Franklin. The melody used for this song is "I'll Be Home For Christmas," an old American standard used for the Christmas season. Legend has it that this was penned on a cold July evening outside Leafa Tower, the bell tower in Leafa Quad that is part of the athletic department's crest which is shaped like a Musical Rune L. This alma mater was approved in Dec. 2070 by the LeafaCAS.

Hail To Leafa College,
Alma mater dear,
Though times may pass,
The memories last.
They last throughout the years.
More than just our mother,
More than just our friend.
Hail To Leafa College,
We're with you till the end!
HAIL!

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Spirit Football Coaching Staff (2072)
Head Coach: Dan Harding
Offensive Coord.: Rothwell Grundy
Quarterbacks: Allan MacInnis
Running Backs: Sean Haskins
Receivers: D.A. McGraw
Offensive Line: Robert Irons
Defensive Coordinator: Archer Rampe
Defensive Line: Gil Tavares
Linebackers: Darren Jetta
Secondary: Spencer Alcasid
Special Teams: Yu Shun-Lee
Graduate Assistant: Clint Cuthbert
Recruiting Coordinator: Haru Onodera

Chancellor: Honoka Kaname
Vice-Chancellor: Hozuki Ferrari
Provosts: Erika Chiba (Mitakihara),
Kyouko Sonan (Leafa College),
Kiriko Kiyuna (Japan Campus),
Likantz Seaberry
(Mitakihara-Squamish)
Visitor: Sir Daniel Woo, Administrator,
Australian Capital Territory

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
The American football uniform set of Leafa College is partially based on the outfit for Mitakihara University but is modified to reflect Leafa's color scheme of Green, Gold and White. Green and Gold are the sporting colours of Australia and as such, are adopted as the colours of the college alongside white, the unifying colour of the Mitakihara University System (red, white and blue are the colours of Mitakihara University Japan; green and white are the colours of Mitakihara-Squamish, in tribute to the former Quest University Canada, which Mitakihara University acquired).

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Leafa College to enter NCAA in 2072, Hawai'i move down, SJSU return

Leafa College to enter NCAA in 2072, Hawai'i move down, SJSU return

By Graeme Wong

Spirit News
July 10, 2071

At a press conference that took place at Kirigaya Family Pyramid, a massive announcement was made by National Collegiate Athletic Association President Chris Adams. The venue was packed, including supporters from across the Australian Capital Territory. More than 300 members of the press were on hand to witness this occasion.

"Ladies and gentlemen," said Mr. Adams from the dais, "it is my honour to welcome the Spirit of Leafa College to the National Collegiate Athletic Association of the United States and Canada as a full time member of Division I and of the Mountain West Conference of the Football Bowl Subdivision."

The words cued massive cheers and applause, as well as a standing ovation. Along with the move, Hawai'i has elected to go down to Division I's Football Championship Subdivision, while the San Jose State Spartans return to the FBS as a full member of the Mountain West after relative success in the Big Sky Conference in football and the Big West Conference and other conferences in other sports. Leafa becomes the first-ever Australian-based member of the NCAA and comes in with plenty of talent, having won multitudes of national championships domestically.

As part of the deal, the NCAA and the Mitakihara University System will cooperate through a renewable 100-year agreement to finance transportation and accommodations for its athletic teams as well as its traveling supporters during each college sports season. Leafa's parent campus, Mitakihara University, is currently a member of the Big Sky Conference in football and West Coast Conference in other sports after six decades of winning national championships at the FBS level.

"What a day to lift your Spirit higher, no?" said college provost Kyouko Sonan. "We are but a young institution that is growing and growing, and our success in competition finally gives us a chance to challenge our American brethren from across the Pacific. We look forward to welcoming the top athletic programs from America to Canberra, where we are sure to show them all a good time. We are ready. Come On You Spirit!"

As a result of the move, an alma mater and fight song have been commissioned, as well as a brand-new marching band that will accompany a number of its teams, who were formerly club sides but have now gained varsity status following the announcement. Leafa will not begin its NCAA membership until the start of the 2072-73 college sports calendar, which begins on July 1, 2072.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Leafa College with new secondary logo for sports teams

By Graeme Wong

Spirit News
July 17, 2071

A new secondary identity for Leafa College Athletics was introduced at Leafa Quad today. The old logo was essentially the crest of the Mitakihara University System, but with a color scheme of Green, Gold, White and Light Blue. Light Blue was dropped as an accompanying color, leaving the university with its primary colors of Green, Gold and White.

The shield incorporated a Musical Rune L, the L standing for Leafa College. This is also an illustration of Leafa Tower, the landmark bell tower in Leafa Quad that chimes at the top of every hour, as well as at the conclusion of commencement ceremonies in December and July. The logo was designed to further distinguish Leafa College from the other campuses in the Mitakihara University System.

This logo for Leafa Athletics will officially take effect on Jan. 1, 2072.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Tryouts for Leafa College gridiron team see massive turnout

By Graeme Wong

Spirit News
December 17, 2071

They came from different parts of Australia. Some hailed from the big cities. Many, though, came from small towns and one prospective player even came from as far as Darwin. But out of 500 who tried out for the Leafa College gridiron team, only a handful would win the right to earn a scholarship to play this sport, which is now one of the most popular forms of football in this country alongside rugby, soccer and AFL.

"We had a difficult time evaluating the talent because there are so many good players that came through tryouts," said newly-hired head coach Dan Harding, the 22-year old great-grandson of former Hawai'i wide receiver Scott Harding. "The competition is really good because the quality of gridiron in this country has significantly improved and our national team is very competent.

"Players who haven't been able to succeed playing more traditional codes have found their niche playing gridiron and to see all these young men take a chance is absolutely satisfying. We think we'll have a very good first year."

The schedule won't be easy for Leafa, who open up their season with a very formidable opponent in the University of Alabama Crimson Tide, loaded with players who could be pursuing careers in the National Football League. But don't tell that to Lachlan Akai, a quarterback from Sydney and a first-year physiology student at Leafa who was excited at the prospect of traveling to America to play intercollegiately.

"I think it's going to be a really rewarding experience, getting out there to play against all those good teams across the pond," said Akai. "You can't get nervous when it comes to something as historic as this because there is no pressure on you. This will be our first year playing against the best teams from America.

"We think we will make Australia proud and bring some championships Down Under. The country will be in for a treat next year."

Cornerback Billy Ooji of Perth will be enrolling at Leafa College as a first-year student next month. The youngest son of former Mitakihara Magi cornerback and West Coast Eagle Tooji Ooji, Billy knew about the competitiveness of teams in the States and thinks he can make his old man proud.

"Dad always tells me, 'I bet you can't be as successful as I was back then, eh?'" said Ooji after tryouts. "That sparked a fire in me to be better than him. He won a lot of titles playing for the Magi in Canada. But this time, I plan to one-up him by winning a national championship for Australia and for our college."

"Everybody in America will think we're out of our league, that we're wasting time playing against the Yankee world-beaters," said another prospective player, halfback Ethan Wakamatsu of Gold Coast, Qld., a first-year student and a physics major. "We Aussie know our sports and we plan to show them that we can give them a run for their money. With all due respect to the Yanks, we've been running the tables in our own country for years. It's time for us to take on a new challenge."

The roster will be finalized at the close of the Spring semester, Dec. 31, 2071. Training camp for the 2072 college football season will begin at the end of the second exam period of the Semester 1, June 21 and conclude until July 21, when the coursework period of Semester 2 begins.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Countdown to Spirit Football: Quarterbacks

By Graeme Wong

Spirit News
June 21, 2072

Training camp for the 2072 college football season took place at the climate-controlled Houraisan Centre, the administrative centre of the Leafa College American football, athletics and field hockey teams that is essentially a copy of Hakurei Centre in Mitakihara University's main campus. Simulation of hot and cold conditions took place on the synthetic surface, including routine drills. As this was the first day, pads and helmets were omitted.

The quarterbacks are the leaders of this year's Leafa College gridiron team. The captain of the team, Lachlan Akai, is 6'4", 195 lbs and hails from Redfern, Sydney. A Rabbitohs supporter, the game of American football intrigued Akai and he decided to give the sport a try. Soon enough, he was one of the top passers at Macquarie Grammar School and his throwing ability caught the eye of the Leafa Coaching Staff.

"Then I went to the tryouts, and they said, 'Lachie, I want you to join us and continue your education here,'" said Akai, the son of Kou Akai and Eimi Tadokoro. "Sure enough, here I am, getting ready to play college football against the best teams in America. And I ended up becoming the captain on offense. Really excited to lead the boys."

Cooper Kanie, named after former Melbourne Storm star Cooper Cronk, hails from Port Melbourne. Too slow for rugby league and too soft for AFL, Kanie turned to gridiron as a way to showcase his playing abilities. The payoff has been huge.

"No one thought I had a chance to make it," said Kanie, the grandson of legendary Japanese playboy Seiya Kanie and his wife Isuzu Sento. "But I proved to myself that I can make the big time wherever I go, and I am ready to show what I can do."

Jack Mikoshiba is the son of Chiyo Sakura and Mikoto Mikoshiba and an aspiring artist and graphics designed. Hailing from Perth alongside his good friend, cornerback Billy Ooji, Mikoshiba possesses excellent mobility in pace and runs a 4.1 non wind-aided 40. He has the highest vertical jump of all the players at 46" (117 cm). All the others have exact verticals of 40.0" (102 cm).

"I could have been a star playing AFL but I didn't want to sacrifice my education," said Mikoshiba. "Mom preferred that I play gridiron anyway and Dad said the same thing, so now I'm playing for Leafa."

Brisbane's very own Liam Oono is the son of Kanako Oono and Kanji Sasahara. Generally, he would adopt his father's last name but elected to change his last name to that of his mother's for one particular reason.

"I spent my first two years of my life feeding off my mother's...you know," he said. "Since then, I have found a wonderful wife that resembles my mom and reminds me of my mom. Every day, I dedicate my game to my parents, who have been a big part of my life. This is my chance to really make them proud."

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Countdown to Spirit Football: The Skill Players

By Graeme Wong

Spirit News
June 22, 2072

The running backs and receivers are referred to by Leafa offensive coordinator Rothwell Grundy as "the skill players" because of their skills at handling the ball and getting in position to gain yards after a carry and/or catch. Picked from across Australia, Leafa's skill players are the best this country has to offer. And with the exception of one player, they are all freshmen.

"I'm really proud of our efforts to recruit players nationally and give them a chance to play against teams from across the pond," said Coach Grundy after practice at Houraisan Centre. "We've learned from our peers at Mitakihara on how to recruit for players and our scouts have been milling about to find some stars who can play at this level."

Freshman Noah Hu is a 5'9", 220 lb halfback from Adelaide who is knows as "Hu Dat" for his love of the New Orleans Saints and his thick-rimmed glasses when going out in public. Freshman impact player Jackson Tatara is from Queensland's Sunshine Coast and brings a balance of speed and power. Redshirt freshman Hunter Aoshima is 6'0", 190 lbs, comes from Newcastle and is the son of Soichi Aoshima and Sakura Momoi, two Japanese entrepreneurs.

Sophomore halfback Ethan Wakamatsu hails from the Gold Coast and is the son of Hirotaka Wakamatsu and Yuzuki Seo. His wife, sophomore Umi Kousaka, is a champion surfer. Finally, freshman Flynn Azuma is the tallest of the halfbacks, standing at 6'2", 220 lbs. Azuma is a local product, raised in Greenway, Canberra, ACT and is the son of Kyoutaro Azuma. Leafa's lone fullback is redshirt freshman Blake Seragaki, a 6'0" 229 lb bowling ball from Wollongong, NSW and is the son of Aoba Seragaki.

At the heart of the spread option attack of Leafa are its receivers, who can not only catch but can also block. All are freshmen. Zach Choi, a descendant of mahjong pro Choe Myeong Hwa, is 6'6", 242 lb and hails from Launceston, TAS. Connor Yasaka is the cousin of Mitakihara Magi wide receiver Mikoto Yasaka and comes from Cairns. Dayne Tsunashi is another Queenslander, born and raised in Townsville, and is the son of Hajime and Kaoru Tsunashi. Ballarat's Oliver Isaki is the grandson of Sayu Hisanuma and Kaname Isaki, and is nicknamed "Olimar" for his resemblance to Captain Olimar of Pikmin fame.

Mitch "The Itch" Kihara comes from Toowomba, QLD and is the grandson of Tsumugu Kihara and Chisaki Hiradaira. He is known as "The Itch" for his fetish with poison oak. Archer "The Hero" Hiiro is from Geelong, and is a proud Cats fan. The son of Okamura Hiiro, Archer also does archery but considers gridiron to be his primary sport ahead of that and AFL. Xavier Kim is the son of a homeless Korean sugar daddy and a rich Macau multimillionaire that happen to reside in Hobart, of all places.

Wideout Tyler Aki is a son of Minoriko Aki and Rinnosuke Morichika who happens to reside independently in Bendigo with his wife, freshman liberal arts major, Kanako Mimura, before moving to Canberra to pursue a criminal justice degree. Finally, Sebastian Kamiya comes from Darwin and represents the Northern Territory on this team. A great-grandson of Hiroshi Kamiya, Kamiya used to be a secondary school radio disc jockey before finding his calling playing gridiron.

A good option attack can't be made possible without the gameplay of its tight ends, who are apparently good MMORPG gamers themselves. Wodonga's Kai Emiya is the great-grandson of Shiro Emiya and is a part-time League of Legends pro from the guild Back of Bourke. Another local, Queanbeyan's Tom Arashi, is the cousin of Mitakihara's Jack Arashi and specializes in HearthStone, while Albury, NSW's Nathan Manatsu, the cousin of the Magi's Daniel Manatsu, prefers World of Warcraft. Finally, Mackay, QLD's Jayden Park, standing at a hefty 6'3", 254 lbs, is an ace at Starcraft II.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Countdown to Spirit Football: The Offensive Line

By Graeme Wong

Spirit News
June 23, 2072

Coffs Harbour, NSW is where the Leafa Spirit's offensive line are based. The town has one of the largest Samoan communities in the country outside of the big cities and many work in the fishing and tourism industries. Too big and too slow for rugby league, Leafa's offensive line brings discipline, height and resiliency and is capable of holding its own against the best in the NCAA Division I FBS.

The left tackles are Herman Wallwork, Mike Tuitama and Stafford Ropati. Wallwork is the great-great-grandson of disgraced IOC member Paul Wallwork and was a part-time weightlifter before turning to gridiron. Ropati has a number of cousins who played for USC, UCLA and Hawai'i. Tuitama's father, Fred, played for the Sydney Roosters as a prop from 2056-65 before going into the fisheries business.

Jacob Esera and Gino Fatu are the left guards. Esera's great-grandfather, Tala Esera, played for Hawai'i decades ago. Fatu almost became an Olympic weightlifter, before the recent cloud of scandals regarding doping caused him to change course and play gridiron. The centres are Neil Tuilaepa and Casey Fasi. Tuilaepa's father, Nell, spent eight seasons playing professionally in Canada after a storied career at the University of Washington. Fasi is the great-great-grandson of former American politician Frank Fasi and is a political science major.

The right guards are Erik Taulealo, Gordon Feao, and Junior Tagaloa. Taulealo's father, Heikoti, played for the Samoan national rugby union team for 12 years and had a long career as a numbe 8 for Bath Rugby. Feao is the great-grandson of Vonn Feao, a one-time Little League star in Hawai'i. Tagaloa has an extended family that lives in Long Beach, Calif. and Kailua-Kona, Haw. and comes from a family of accomplished offensive and defensive linemen. His father, grandfather and great-grandfather all played in the NFL at the same position he now plays.

Finally, the right tackles are Marco Sapolu and Harry Mataafa. Sapolu is a descendant of Pro Football Hall of Famer Jesse Sapolu and aspires to play for the San Francisco 49ers. Mataafa comes from a family of rappers and poets and is an English major, with aspirations of teaching at the secondary school level.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Countdown to Spirit Football: The Defensive Line

By Graeme Wong

Spirit News
June 24, 2072

One of the most dangerous units on the Leafa Spirit football team is the defensive line. Coached by young prodigy Gil Tavares, the defensive line are highly skilled at the pass rush but are most deadly at stopping the run. Speed and acceleration are the centerpiece of this unit, and all of the players on this defensive line had aspirations of playing in Super Rugby or AFL before a change of heart had all of them committing to play gridiron.

The left ends are Jackson Kaburaki, Gary Acura and Sam Touzokuyama. The son of cousins Runa and Ryuusei Kaburaki, Jackson plans to use football to get away from the hectic life of playing eroge. Kaburaki hails from Bundaberg, QLD. Acura, a native of Bunbury, WA, is the younger cousin of former Mitakihara Magi defensive lineman Dev Acura but possesses the same deadly playmaking ability. Gary's specialty is the pass rush. Touzokuyama, who is known as "Tozza" or "Tosser" for short, is the son of Megumu Touzokuyama and Akane Mahougasawa and comes from Rockhampton, QLD.

Darren Kurokiba, Riley Adashino, Harrison Kazama and Lewis Sakishima are the right ends. At 6'5", 236 lbs, Adashino comes from Wagga Wagga, NSW and is the son of Kouta Adashino. Kurokiba, the son of Ryou Kurokiba and Alice Nakiri, is 6'3", 260 lbs and is a native of Hervey Bay, QLD. Kazama is 6'6, 278 lbs and is used as a backup offensive guard, center or tackle. A native of Wentworth, NSW, Kazama is the son of Shun Kazama and Umi Komatsuzaki. The 6'5", 248 lb Sakishima is the nephew of Navy Midshipman head football coach Hikari Sakishima and comes from Mildura, VIC.

The defensive tackles are Levi Iori, Joshua Kodai, Oscar Inui, Archie Fujiwara and Zach Kurosawa. A native of Mooropna, VIC, the 6'3", 301 lb Iori is the son of Sei Iori and China Kousaka and is infamously known for having a fetish for buffets and bodypillows. Kodai is 6'1", 301 lbs, hails from Shepparton, VIC and is the son of Susumu Kodai and Yuki Mori. Kodai is an astrophysics major. The son of Hayato Inui, Oscar Inui is 6'2", 312 lbs and is a native of Tannum Sands, QLD.

Born Archie Honda in Gladstone, QLD, the 6'2", 301 lb Archie Fujiwara chose to honor his late great-grandmother, Taiga Fujiwara, by adopting her last name as his own. Finally, Kurosawa, a 6'4", 310 lbs beast from Port Macquarie, NSW, is the son of Haruto Kurosawa and Ibara Naruse and is a part-time music producer.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Countdown to Spirit Football: Linebackers

By Graeme Wong

Spirit News
June 25, 2072

Known as the playcallers of the defense, Leafa College's linebackers have had a reputation for being the most consistent players in Gridiron NSW. Playing in the NCAA Division I FBS will pose a unique, if more difficult, challenge, but linebackers coach Darren Jetta, a great-grandson of former Sydney Swans great Lewis Jetta, believes that there is no mountain too high for his group of players.

"As an athlete, you need to be up for a challenge and go with an intention to conquer it," Jetta said during camp at Houraisan Centre, which saw the players practice in pads and helmets for the first time. "The linebackers we have are a strong group of players and they are men built to take their lumps and dish it back to our opponents. We'll come into this year fearless and confident to get some good results."

The left outside linebackers are Nick Mikisugi and Leo Tatsumi. A native of Morwell, VIC, Nick Mikisugi is a run-stopping expert. Standing at 6'4, 237 lbs, Mikisugi is the grandson of Aikurou Mikisugi and is known for wearing his old man's shades everywhere he goes, giving him the slightly-pejorative nickname of "Thrill La Thrill" or "TLT" for short. Tatsumi comes from the country music capital of Australia, Tamworth, NSW. At 6'1", 229 lbs, Tatsumi is the son of Kanji Tatsumi and Naoto Shirogane.

Blake Tsunetsugu, Wes Narukami and Roy Hanamura are the middle linebackers. Tsunetsugu is 6'1", 247 lbs, is a native of Traralgon, VIC and is the son of martial arts master Jyuzumaru Tsunetsugu, Blake is the only member on the gridiron team to hold a black belt in karate. Narukami is the son of Yuu Narukami and plans to major in hotel administration. He is 6'3", 210 lbs and is a native of Geraldton, NSW. Hanamura is 6'2", 240 lbs and is from Orange, NSW. The son of Yousuke Hanamura and Rise Kujikawa, Hanamura plans to major in agricultural sciences.

The right outside linebackers are David Hazuki, Graham Ryugazaki, and Mark Matsuoka. Hazuki is 6'2", 224 lbs from Bowral, NSW and is the son of Nagisa Hazuki. Ryugazaki, a 6'3", 214 lb native of Mittagong, NSW, is the son of Rei Ryugazaki and is a sociology major. The son of Rin Matsuoka, Mark is 6'2", 250 lbs, born and raised in Dubbo, NSW and is a criminal justice major. Matsuoka plans to enter the police force if a career in the pros is not in the cards.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Countdown to Spirit Football: Secondary and special teams

By Graeme Wong
Spirit News
June 26, 2072

Perhaps the most underrated units on the Leafa College Spirit gridiron team are the secondary and special teams. The secondary are meant to be ball hawks in that they force turnovers. As for the special teams, the kicker and punter are meant to be clutch in their own right, replete with accuracy.

At the heart of the secondary are its cornerbacks, some of whom play linebacker positions in the 4-3 multiple defense to add depth and continuity. As with most of the running backs, receivers, offensive line, defensive line, safeties, the kicker and punter, they are freshmen.

Vic Tsuchimikado is the son of Mitakihara Magi defensive coordinator Harutora Tsuchimikado. Vic is 6'0", 194 lbs and comes from Bathurst, NSW. Lincoln Yama is 6'0", 185 lbs, a native of Nowra, NSW and is the youngest son of Juugo Yama and Nanana Ryuugajou. As the son of a ghost, Yama is known as "L.Y. Boogimon" due to his mother, his love for disco and his even more disturbing fetish for the Boogeyman and Pokemon. Billy Ooji, the son of former Magi cornerback and West Coast Eagle Tooji Ooji and the grandson of legendary mochi entrepreneur Tamako Kitashirakawa, is a 5'10" 205 lb phenom from Perth that is a lifelong Eagles member.

Warnambool, VIC's Dane Nanase is 6'2", 209 lbs and is the son of Gou Matsuoka and Haruka Nanase. Luca Mizushima is another Western Australia native, raised in Boulder. A 5'11", 176 lb hard hitter, Mizushima is the son of Saki Mizushima and a session bass player, majoring in music theory. Finally, Daniel Tachibana is the son of Makoto Tachibana and is from Kalgoorlie. At 6'3, 185 lbs, Tachibana used to play Australian Rules Football in his primary school days.

The free safeties are Connor Togashi, Chester Hato and Jay Madanbashi. Togashi is the son of former Iowa Hawkeye offensive lineman Rik Togashi and the grandson of former Mitakihara offensive coordinator Rikka Takanashi. Togashi is 5'10", 205 lbs and is a native of Devonport, TAS. Hato stands at 6'0", 200 lbs and comes from Busselton, WA, the son of Kenjirou Hato.

But the most talked about free safety is Jay Madanbashi. He is 6'0", 190 lbs and is the son of Kouichi Madanbashi and Leafa College provost Kyouko Sonan. He was born in Albany, WA but moved to Canberra with his parents at the age of two. As the provost's son, Jay, also known as "Mad Dog" for his ferociousness on the field, is placed in high regard by his peers and is a business administration major. Rumor has it that like his father, Jay is known for being a chauvinist, a feminist, and an absolute pervert, but is not given a physical reprimand due to his elite status. In fact, after a good grope and feel, it is reported that Madanbashi fetes his women to a good dinner and a good time. No alcohol is served, however.

The strong safeties are two Korean-Australian brothers who live in two neighboring towns. Lee Bongdal is 6'2", 229 lbs, comes from Warragul, VIC and is named after Bongdal, the Korean name for Papel from the golf game Pangya. Lee Bokmal is 5'11", 195 lbs, comes from Drouin, VIC and is named after a dialect of Norwegian that he is fluent in, alongside English and Korean. Both are fluent in Korean, both play simulation golf, and both tend to hit albatrosses and holes-in-one in real life golf.

Archie Matou, a 6'2", 190 lb kicker from Bornaderry, NSW, is a descendant of Sakura Matou and Rin Tousaka. The punter is Aiden Satomi, a 6'3", 235 lbs native of Fremantle, WA who is a cousin of Rentarou Satomi and is a grand-nephew of the late Fremantle Docker great Matthew Pavlich.

Last edited:

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
"Hang Loose, Mates": Junior Tagaloa Tells Leafa Gridiron To Ease Up

By Graeme Wong
Spirit News
August 23, 2072

Hours before the Leafa Spirit Gridiron team flew out of Canberra Airport via charter and custom-made livery for their first-ever flight to America to head to Tuscaloosa, Alabama, head coach Dan Harding delivered an impassioned speech to his players at Kaguya Houraisan Centre. His voice was slightly shaking, but it was a mix of excitement and nervousness.

"Guys, we are about to head into the great unknown," said Coach Harding. "You are about to face the University of Alabama in your first-ever game as an NCAA team. Never again will you do something more meaningful in your young lives. Treasure it, enjoy it, and play the game the way I know you are capable of playing.

"Leave everything out on the field, and trust in each other. Trust in the brother next to you, that he will do his best like you will this Saturday there, but Sunday here. We're like the NFL in a way. Our road matches are held on a Sunday here in Australia. You're about to play like professionals against future professionals. No one in that crowd will give you a chance.

"I believe in you. Believe in each other. And if you're good enough, everyone in the world will realize that Australia can be the next great country to play American football. Let's shock the world together."

"Oh yeah, I told everyone, hang loose, mates, we got our first assignment and it's a big one," said freshman right guard Junior Tagaloa on board the Air Force One-sized charter plane, named Air Leafa One, which has all the amenities of Houraisan Centre but plane sized, including a film room. "We got no pressure, no pressure. No one's gonna think we're gonna have a chance.

"I think what's they're gonna do...they're gonna chant, 'You Came A Long Way...Just To Lose" and rubbish like that. That's good for us because that's gonna allow us to play our game and impress a lot of people. Hope everyone back home stays up to watch this."

Tagaloa doesn't regret declining the offer to play for Hawai'i. In fact, he was relieved that he rejected the scholarship to play one step below.

"Are you kidding me?" he said. "Playing for an FCS school that can't hack it at our level? And I don't have to travel too much if I play here at Leafa. Lot closer to home. Plus, I like this campus. I never saw a green-colored pyramid in my life, but it looks amazing. Glad we have it. I prefer it to the pink-colored one they have in Canada (at Mitakihara University).

"The best decision I made was to play for Australia's Team because I'm proud to be Australian. We can make gridiron the next big sport to hit our land. And we're getting real good at this sport. I see young people throwing a football instead of punching it around like in AFL.

"The energy on campus is really good too. We're bringing our own marching band. People who haven't heard of the West Coast Eagles song will get to hear our version of it when we score a touchdown. And I know there's a number of people in Alabama who follow AFL, too, so they get to see our athletic ability.

"We're gonna have an exciting game. Alabama may never live this one down. They've lost to Mitakihara many times before, but this is going to be even more historic. We're excited. We can't wait to land in America."

The plane will layover at Los Angeles International Airport to refuel before flying to Tuscaloosa Regional Airport. Tickets for the historic match between Leafa and Alabama are sold out, and a traveling contingent of Leafa boosters will be on hand to support the Spirit on game day. The match will be broadcast on the university radio station 5AO, which broadcasts Spirit Athletics year-round.

Last edited:

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
A Message From Honoka Kaname

By Honoka Kaname

Special to Spirit News
August 24, 2072

Dear friends and members of the Mitakihara Family,

It is my honour and privilege to formally congratulate the sports and recreation department of Leafa College on ascending to NCAA Division I membership. The Mitakihara University System has officially made history as the first university system to have two athletic programs based outside of the United States that compete as full members of Division I of the National Collegiate Athletic Association. We are proud of those from Leafa who now join the most competitive and most prestigious university athletics association in the world.

We are especially proud of the Leafa Spirit American football team, which the Mitakihara Family considers as its flagship team. With our Magi now competing in Division I FCS, it is our hope that the Spirit will have the same amounts of success that our Magi had as a member of every conference, with the exception of the American Athletic Conference, and as an independent, playing college football. Gridiron, as it is called in Australia, is on the rise Down Under, and this year's team comprises of the best promising talent the country has to offer.

The preparation to Leafa's inaugural year as an NCAA Division I member reminds us of our first-ever year playing football in 2011, more than six decades ago. The Spirit are no strangers to success: they have won 26 straight national championships in Australia before this season and had been the most dominant program in Gridiron NSW. The move to compete in the NCAA has been 10 years in the making, with discussions and meetings with leaders in government in the United States, Canada and Australia regarding logistics, feasability and demand.

Indeed, Australia is a natural sporting nation. Many great athletes were born in Australia, represent different disciplines and codes. The friendliness and camaraderie of the sporting public in Australia is unique, and the culture is remarkable. The story of Leafa College playing competitively in America is being documented by local journalists, newspapers and pundits on both sides of the Pacific. It's a story that will resonate for many decades to come, and its legacy is sure to be remembered.

The Mitakihara University System wishes all the best to the teams from Leafa College as they embark on the longest journey that begins with the smallest step. The time has come for the world to Lift Its Spirit Higher.

Good luck!

-Dr. Honoka Kaname
Chancellor, Mitakihara University System

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
History In The Making: Leafa Upset Alabama In Alabama

By Graeme Wong

Spirit News
August 28. 2072

Back in 2011, the University of Alabama Crimson Tide became just the second team to lose to the Mitakihara Magi. Many of the students who witnessed that event back then and who are still alive today were on hand as old boosters to witness an even more shocking result that is sure to be talked about for years. Alabama, ranked No. 1 in the country, became the first-ever collegiate American football team to lose to a team...from Australia.

The Leafa College Spirit demolished the Crimson Tide 135-37 at Bryant Denny Stadium in Tuscaloosa, Ala. Using a balanced spread option attack combined with the trademark 4-3 multiple defense used at Mitakihara, the Spirit stunned the Tide with superior speed and execution, the likes of which have not been seen on either side of the Pacific Rim. When the final whistle blew, the only fans remaining were the traveling support from Canberra and Queanbeyan.

"I can't believe it," said Al Ross, a member of the Alabama Class of 2015 and a financier/full-time womanizer. "How is it that Australia knows how to play our game so damn well? The Committee [on Infractions] needs to take a VIP jet and head Down Under to investigate; they shouldn't be this good! They must be cheatin' or something; this was no exhibition, they whooped us silly!"

"I am never going to live this down," said Dr. Amanda Huggenkiss, a biology professor at UAT. "Australia is now good at our style of football. Australia. They could have stuck to rugby, or that code that no one else in the world plays, but they chose to stick our faces in the mud, like Mitakihara always does. Leafa is essentially Madoka's little sister because they are part of the same system. This is just sick. I will never live this down."

"How am I gonna get some sleep after this?" asked Alabama alumnus Mordecai Olazabal '31. "We got crushed by a team from Australia, and even worse, this wasn't an exhibition! Ohio State better be careful because they're heading down there next week and this team might be even more dangerous than Mitakihara. This is worse than losing to Mitakihara. This is worse than death!"

After the game, the fans and players got hyped up and chanted "Who Do We Sing For?", "Leafa Leafa Leafa!" and the fight song. The Spirit players, comprised mostly of freshmen and few sophomores, were in tears of joy, hugging each other and even carrying head coach Dan Harding off the field. He also received his first-ever Gatorade bath and was drenched in lime green Gatorade.

"Oh man, I am so...proud of the boys, they did it, they got their first win," said Coach Harding after the match. "We wanted to shock the world and let them know that Australia can also play gridiron, too. We did pretty good on offense and defense and put on a show for everyone. Alabama are a great side and will have a great season. But we had a point to prove and we got it done."

"Best day of my life!" exclaimed quarterback Cooper Kanie, who ran for 313 yards and passed for 352 more yards while scoring nine total touchdowns on offense. "I can't believe it! We can actually win against the best America has to offer. We're gonna enjoy this victory then fly home to get ready for next week. What a weekend!"

"We were in a zone," said middle linebacker Roy Hanamura, who had 12 tackles and two interceptions. "And when we're in a zone, it's game on. Alabama are a good team, but we like to face good teams and prove that we can play. We think Ohio State will be in for a surprise but we won't give away our secrets."

Leafa improve to 1-0 on the year. They will face the Ohio State Buckeyes of Columbus, Ohio next week in the home opener at Yunipingu Field. Tickets for the match are sold out and the match is standing room only. The game will be broadcast on radio and online on 5AO.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

Leafa College provost Kyouko Sonan and her husband, Kouichi Madanbashi, the parents of Leafa Spirit FS Jay Madanbashi.

Jay Madanbashi: The Most Interesting Man At Leafa College

By Graeme Wong

Spirit News
August 30, 2072

It's not easy being a son of a perverted robot pilot and a willing college provost because the expectations, nonexistent as they may seem, are astoundingly high. But Leafa College freshman Shuhei "Jay" Madanbashi is a scholar built to fulfill high expectations...while at the same time indulge in the benefits with gusto. Madanbashi's father, Kouichi, escaped death once to live to tell his peers about it before finally marrying Leafa provost Kyouko Sonan. Jay attributes his upbringing to his father's toughness and his mother's assertiveness.

"I have really good parents," Jay said after training at Houraisan Centre. "My mum is a very nice lady and is one of the leaders at Leafa so if I have to report to her, it's because I'm not doing well with my units. My father was known for being very lewd and naughty and because of that, I've had tall tales of me sleeping with different women from other sororities and sports teams in my bed room in the dorms.

"I'm not going to say whether they are true or not because I don't want to defame anybody, even myself," he says with a grin that is reminiscent of his father. "You don't really believe me do you? Your call, your call."

Regardless, Jay has been renowned by his peers for being a gentleman by day and a lecher by night. The balance of saint and sinner, angel and devil, yin and yang is part of the mystique of Jay Madanbashi, who will get the start at free safety this week for the Leafa Spirit gridiron team against the Ohio State Buckeyes. Aside from his highly-publicized dual persona, the former Albany, WA native and current business major is well-rounded in his knowledge of American football.

"I like to dissect each position on the field, on offence, on defence, on special teams, and the coaches," Jay said. "Every member on a football team has an important role to do. It's like a team of actors following a script with unscripted parts rolled in. I have praise for the many great players who have excelled at their positions in the past two centuries. The game is quicker, it's faster and more exciting to watch than ever before. It's great entertainment, and that's why I wanted to play college football: I want to put on a show."

But there is a far bigger dilemma awaiting Jay, far bigger than putting on another rock-solid performance on the field in a helmet and pads.

"I need to choose a female partner and stick with her." he said. "I can't have too many of my cohorts following me because I might give birth to too many bad boys out of wedlock. I know I've got appeal, but it's how I use it that determines my standing in this high class society that I am drowning in. So I have to be careful.

"Sometimes being a chick magnet like me can be like being a prisoner of conscience or sanity. Something like that. So every day, I thank God that I got myself a mum and a dad that give me the best advice I could ever use. They literally went through hell to get me to heaven, I can tell you that much!"

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Building Men of Character: Leafa Crush Ohio State

By Graeme Wong

Spirit News
September 3, 2014

While the AFL and NRL Finals Series are underway, Dan Harding's Leafa College Spirit played their inaugural home game in gridiron against NCAA competition today and came out big winner, defeating No. 1 ranked Ohio State Buckeyes, 103-34 at Yunupingu Field in Canberra. Quarterback Cooper Kanie ran for 465 yards, passed for 155 yards and scored eight total touchdowns on offence. Left end Sam Touzokuyama recorded a season-high seven sacks and had eight tackles for loss out of 12 total tackles.

"We're building men of character, and today was a day where we showed our character to everyone," said Coach Harding at the press conference. "Our players know it's a long season, a long spring and fall, and we're going to keep working hard to give the people here something to really be happy about."

"Piece by piece, that's what we tell ourselves," said halfback Jackson "Tartar" Tatara, who had 250 rushing yards and three majors. "Every good play is a piece to the puzzle. Everything builds up, and we're putting every piece together. It's like building a brick house or a man cave. You lay the foundation, then build around it before sprucing up the insides and then moving in."

Leafa College improve to 2-0 and are back in action next week at Yunupingu against the Stanford Cardinal. Coverage starts at 5 p.m. AEST on 5AO.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

Yuuna Yuuki: A Hero, A Wife, And A Relative Of A Former Mitakihara Provost

By Graeme Wong

Spirit News
September 5, 2014

Yuuna Yuuki is the grand-niece of former Mitakihara University Main Campus Provost Asuna Yuuki. She is also the wife of Leafa Spirit quarterback Cooper Kanie. Yuuki is a social work major and longs to work in humanitarian missions while being the best wife she can be to Cooper.

"I first met Cooper back in high school, when I moved to Australia with my parents in search of fame and fortune and a better life," said Yuuki. "We settled in Mulgrave, which is a suburb of Melbourne, and my house was not too far from Waverley Park, where the Hawthorn Footy Club trains. Coincidentally, my house was next to the Kanie Family household, who also moved from Japan. Mr. Seiya [Kanie] and Mrs. Isuzu [Kanie] are good friends and I sometimes look up to them for advice on my academic work.

"Anyway, when I first met Cooper, I was a bit in awe of his form. Here he is, really tall, well-chiseled, with a non-threatening yet assertive look, and I though, I need to get to know him and what he does; he is like a Japanese Hercules or something. We talked a lot, helped each other out with classwork, went out together, and then I decided that it got to a point where we can be together permanently.

"We both chose to enroll at Leafa College to continue our education, and before this past January and after our first year as student, I married him in December and we had our honeymoon on the Gold Coast. We plan to have kids after we earn our degrees and he is able to find a team in America to play for.

"What's awesome about us is that we are very independent and we're each other's best partner. I swim and surf, he plays gridiron and AFL. I cook my own meals, and so does he. Cooper doesn't need to be told what needs to be done because he's always doing something. He's very active and we like to go on runs when he has free time.

"I really like Cooper. He's got a huge upside to his personality, always shows tact, and brings out the hero in me every day. That's why I am proud to be his wife."

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Leafa College Upset Stanford In A Rainstorm

By Graeme Wong

Spirit News
September 10, 2072

Dan Harding's Leafa College Spirit continued their dream season with their third upset in as many weeks. The Spirit demolished the Stanford Cardinal, 104-30, in a rainy Yunupingu Field in Canberra. Quarterback Cooper Kanie ran for 375 yards and passed for 322 yards while scored 10 touchdowns on offence. Middle linebacker Roy Hanamura had 17 tackles and an interceptions to lead a stout Spirit defence. The result gives the Spirit a 3-0 record, and they are expected to move up the USA Today/Coaches Polls.

"Stanford is a very strong team, they got to Cooper a few more times than we wanted," said Coach Harding after the contest. "But we continued to make big play after big play. One thing unique about our option attack is that we run it in a hurry-up style and we only let up when our team is in a position to win without much challenge from the opposition.

"In the second quarter, Stanford put on a great show and we needed to make some second half adjustments. Accountability is a hallmark of our team and everyone needed to be accountable for making a mistake on either side of the ball. I was quite pleased by the boys in not being complacent in the second half but they need to tighten up at the end next time."

Leafa will take the next week off before flying to Laramie, Wyo. to take on the Wyoming Cowboys in the Mountain West Conference opener on Sept. 25. Kickoff is scheduled for 1 p.m. local time/5 a.m. AEDT and will be broadcast via radio on 5AO.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
How Jackson Tatara Got The Nickname "The Tartar"

By Graeme Wong
Spirit News
September 13, 2072

Halfback Jackson Tatara is a regular on the Leafa College Spirit football team. The son of Kenshiro Tatara, the 5'10", 200-lb halfback from Sunshine Coast, QLD is the team's leading rusher and mixes power running with speed and pace. All players on the Spirit team tend to have nicknames, and for Tatara, he has his own nickname: "The Tartar." How did it happen, some may ask?

"Well, it just sounds similar to my last name," said Tatara after training on the Houraisan Centre playing surface. "Other than that, nothing too remarkable. When I was in secondary school and I was learning about the game of gridiron, my peers called me 'Tartar' just for the fun of it. The name stuck, for some odd reason.

"So, what I did was actually look up what a Tartar is. I found out that it's more than just a sauce or something stuck to teeth after not brushing. It's actually an alternate pronunciation of Tatars, a Turkic people in Russia. Then I found out that they were associated with the legacy of Genghis Khan. Also, I fouind out that the Tatars of today are from Azerbaijan, Finland, China, the Crimea, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Siberia, Russia, of course...

"They are a resilient people, the Tatars, and I suppose that their resiliency and hard work ethic in the heat of battle is something that inspires me to work at a high level on and off the field. Actually, Tatar sound closer to Tatara, when you think about it. It really is funny to see how a nickname for fun can actually have some meaning to it in the end."

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

The Mystique of the Australian War Memorial

By Graeme Wong

Spirit News
September 19, 2072

The Australian War Memorial is Australia's national memorial to the members of its armed forces and supporting organisations who have died or participated in the wars of the Commonwealth of Australia. The memorial includes an extensive national military museum. The Australian War Memorial was opened in 1941, and is widely regarded as one of the most significant memorials of its type in the world.

The Memorial is located in Australia's capital, Canberra. It is the north terminus of the city's ceremonial land axis, which stretches from Parliament House on Capital Hill along a line passing through the summit of the cone-shaped Mount Ainslie to the northeast. No continuous roadway links the two points, but there is a clear line of sight from the front balcony of Parliament House to the War Memorial, and from the front steps of the War Memorial back to Parliament House.

The Australian War Memorial consists of three parts: the Commemorative Area (shrine) including the Hall of Memory with the Tomb of the Unknown Australian Soldier, the Memorial's galleries (museum) and Research Centre (records). The Memorial also has an outdoor Sculpture Garden. The Memorial is currently open daily from 10 am until 5 pm, except on Christmas Day.

Many people include Anzac Parade as part of the Australian War Memorial because of the Parade's physical design leading up to the War Memorial, but it is maintained separately by the National Capital Authority (NCA).

Charles Bean, Australia's official World War I historian, first conceived a museum memorial to Australian soldiers while observing the 1916 battles in France. The Australian War Records Section was established in May 1917 to ensure preservation of records relating to the war being fought at the time. Records and relics were exhibited first in Melbourne and later Canberra.

An architectural competition in 1927 did not produce a winning entry. However two entrants, Sydney architects Emil Sodersten and John Crust, were encouraged to represent a joint design. A limited budget and the effects of the Depression confined the scope of the project.

The building was completed in 1941, after the outbreak of World War II. It was officially opened following a Remembrance Day ceremony on 11 November 1941 by the then Governor-General Lord Gowrie, himself a former soldier whose honours included the Victoria Cross. Additions since the 1940s have allowed the remembrance of Australia's participation in other more recent conflicts. The Tomb of the Unknown Australian Soldier was added in 1993, to mark the 75th anniversary of the end of World War I.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

Hanako Kisaragi, Vic Tsuchimikado's wife.

EYEWITNESS ACCOUNT: In Vic Tsuchimikado's Own Words

By Vic Tsuchimikado

Special To Spirit News
September 20, 2072

My name is Vic Tsuchimikado. I am a cornerback for Dan Harding's Leafa College Spirit. I am in my second year at the college, which would place me, under NCAA rules, as a redshirt freshman. I remembered when I was a young student in secondary school. I attended Denison College, which was still a young institution, compared to other similar secondary schools in the city.

One day, in my second year at Denison, I was returning home from class, and as I entered my study to relax before opening a book that talked about the oppression of women back in the 20th Century, I noticed there was a young girl, about my age, in tattered clothes and pink underwear, long purple hair, tears coming out of her eyes, sleeping, barely breathing, skin a little pale. At first glance, I wanted to call an ambulance, but I thought better of it and elected to give her CPR. She was also a bit wet, as if she nearly drowned in the ocean.

After a few minutes, she slowly opened her eyes. "W...where am I?" she asked. "I...can speak English? Where am I?"
I noticed the hairpiece next to her. Then I found out. "Kisaragi...is this you?"
"So...you didn't forget about me..." She smiled. "I thought...I was gone..."
"Welcome back to Earth," I replied. "But now, you don't have any more obligations to fight anymore. You're free. You can live your life as a regular person."
"I...I've been saved..."
I believed that ship girls who are sunk are resurrected as regular girls who woke up from a nightmare. But I didn't think that my belief was going to be true. "You have been saved. It's over."
"Is everyone all right?" she cried. "Did we win?"
"Eternal victory," I said. She reached out and we hugged. "I think you need to take a bath. You smell of seawater."
"Is my hair fine?"
"I have shampoo in the bath. Go ahead and fix yourself up." I went over and handed her a towel. "I will head downstairs and fix you something. A lost girl like you doesn't need to be hopeless. I'll also throw your tattered outfit away. You look like a mess."
She took off her clothes, leaving her underwear on and took the towel. "Thanks a lot. What is your name?"
"The name's Tsuchimikado. Vic Tsuchimikado. If you have no place else to go, welcome to my family. I'll take you in and make you mine. You'll have to get used to my parents, they want to make sure you're a good fit."
"But...my name...what will my name be?"
"Hanako Kisaragi. That is your name. You have the fragrance and aroma of the sweetest flowers that I ever encountered. And who you were before bloomed like a blossom. But a new beginning awaits us, and now, I want you to be with me, because I could never forget people who don't want to be alone."
She smiled, winked and went inside the bath to take care of herself. As I went downstairs to cook, I played a song, "Tokyo Boogie Woogie," that my father, Harutora, gave me when I was six. It was an old recording, but I used it to cook my favorite dish: steak and eggs. I wasn't so sure if Hanako was going to be receptive to such a fattening dish but I figured that if she needed to be nursed back to health, I had to do it in a way that would make my parents proud.

One hour later, I was able to prepare a nice steak dinner for two, complete with some red wine, even though the two of us were still too young to drink. I also realized that I needed to help Hanako become an Australian citizen. It did help that she did speak with our accent a little. But as I set the table down, I noticed that Hanako, now freshened up and looking like she never drowned in an ocean of sorrow, was still wearing her underwear but her bra was undone a bit.

"I want to make it up to you, my sweet Hoochie," Hanako said seductively, hearts in her eyes.
"Aren't you going to eat first though?" I asked, my manhood rising faster than the temperature in Bathurst. It was December.
"Dinner can wait. If there is something that I am hungry for..." She whispered in my ear. "It's your..."
"Oh my," he said. "You were brought back to life and now you want the full house already?" I ripped my clothes off. "This might be our lucky day." Soon enough, the two of us were making love and it didn't take me long to finally sow the seed into her after I unloaded everything I had. She wanted to show how grateful she was at being alive.
I wanted to no longer be a lonely boy. I wanted to become a father and a husband so bad. Now my parents would have to get used to me having a fiancee, but after I graduated from Denison, we both would marry. But by that point, she would be raising fraternal twins: Anna and Vic Jr.. They are three years old as of right now, under Hanako's care in the dorms.
As the waves died down, I caressed Hanako's face, running my hands down her perfection before embracing her. She was now sleeping, sighing as I ran my hands down her smooth purple hair. "Hoochie...I love you. Don't ever leave my side. I want you..."
That would be my nickname. Hoochie, only because she couldn't pronounce my last name correctly. "I love you too." And we shared another kiss before we both fell asleep. From that point on, we would live together, she would gain her citizenship and now she is a student at Leafa pursuing a career developing beauty and skin care products. Hanako is also an expert at juicy gossip and sweet talk outside of a bed, as well as in it. I could never get bored with a wife like her.
Poor steak dinner. It was going to be a cold breakfast, and Hanako would get a bit tipsy from drinking all the wine but no matter. Whether drunk or not, I want a wife who doesn't argue to much, who takes care of the kids, who checks all the boxes. That's why when I get out on the field, I do it for my wife and my kids because that's what a dad is supposed to do. Of course, having to brush her hair every now and then is a necessary evil among the errands I need to run, but I do it anyway.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Cooper Kanie Freakshow Smashes Wyoming

By Graeme Wong
Spirit News
September 25, 2072

At Leafa College, there is only one man that Dan Harding's Spirit Gridiron Team needs: quarterback Cooper Kanie. He passed for 297 yards and two touchdowns while rushing for 465 yards and 12 more scores and was essentially the offense for Leafa as they smashed the Wyoming Cowboys, 122-14 at War Memorial Stadium in Laramie, Wyo. in their first-ever Mountain West Conference game.

"He was a lights-out ripper," said Coach Harding after the game. "Coop was out of this world with his athleticism and speed. This was not even a close contest, with all of the Cowboys failing to tackle him. And the blocking was really top-notch, too.

"I will tell you: this guy could make even more history and win the Heisman Trophy if he pads up the stats. We need to make a #Coop4Heisman hashtag and get that trending on Twitter, he's been magic for the mates today."

"I just try to listen to my coaches and follow instructions," said Kanie after the match. "This is a fun game, gridiron is, and everyone plays a role. I heard that a lot of the fringe players got a chance to get on the pitch and get some plays under their belt. It speaks volumes to the depth that we have. Really astounding stuff."

Leafa improve to 4-0 and take the week off before hosting the UNLV Rebels on Oct. 1 in Homecoming 2072.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
%E8%89%A6%E9%9A%8A%E3%81%93%E3%82%8C%E3%81%8F%E3%81%97%E3%82%87%E3%82%93_-%E8%89%A6%E3%81%93%E3%82%8C-_-_ep01_065.jpg

Roy Hanamura's Wife Is No Mere Pushover

By Graeme Wong
Spirit News
September 27, 2072

Her smile, her spunk, her grace and her charms are a simple yet wholesome balance of sugar and spice. Roy Hanamura's wife of two years and counting is Erika Sendai, a native of Tokyo, Japan who recently acquired Australian citizenship and is now a first-year student at Leafa College, majoring in Marine Biology. You may not believe this, but she is the actual human reincarnation of the ill-fated Japanese cruiser Sendai from World War II. Many of the wives of the Leafa College Gridiron Team are actually married, and many are fathers.

6168ebd2211c79fe0e5800be73169042.jpg

"Oh yeah, Erika is always pushing me to perform every day or else I have to pay the price with my body," joked Hanamura at practice on campus at the Houraisan Centre pitch. "No, she's a great woman and we're a good match. She works out, she lifts, she runs, and she does a lot of biking in the wintertime when she isn't hitting the books with me at our dorm room. It also helps that she can speak English and Japanese fluently like me, so there are no language barriers. She sometimes calls me, 'Eroy', a pun on 'Eroi,' or perverted. And she's right. She's never wrong.

e1d09cff004bad3cdee8cd56798fd007.jpg

"I met Erika when I was in secondary school on a three-week stay to Tokyo. I got to meet her, we talked, and I started to have feelings for her. She liked me a lot and after my visit, we talked online, and one day, she decided to move here in my last year of secondary school so that she could live with me. When we got married, she finally revealed to me that she was the reincarnation of a ship. When I found out she should skate on water, I was convinced.

012915-1.jpg

"She doesn't do that a lot these days because my peers would think she's absolutely bananas, so she just sticks to living a normal life. I remember during the last Schoolies Week, I was dressed as an admiral and she was dressed as how the Sendai would look like as a girl. So we finally eloped as I pleasured her and made her want me to the fact that she was destined to be a mother, there was no turning back.

kantai-collection-anime-sendai-1809856.jpeg

"So now we have two kids, a boy and a girl. Rio and Yuriko are their names. They are just toddlers but they are a penchant for reading books about the ocean and about World War II. I told Erika, well done in getting them into that stuff while they're young. Hopefully this will convince them that the only way to achieve peace is through war, but war is a cruel way to resolve the worries of the world and that sport is a much better option.

273adb53cee1bbc323a39be746e1b630.jpg

"I want Erika to know that I am indebted to her. She's a very outgoing, confident, determined, feisty kind of wife for me. She's concerned at times if things get difficult, but is always there to support and give me a vote of confidence. She's also a proud mother and wants to be the best mom she can be. I already have plans to enter the workforce after I play gridiron but if something more lucrative comes my way, she'll be there to watch me make the most of it. I could never fall in love with anyone else than Erika Sendai. She is my salvation and my passion."

3442ba88b7a4558436e7ac123ba1d8e5.jpg

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

Denny and Bucky: Leafa College Does Have Odd Couples

By Graeme Wong

Spirit News
September 28, 2072

Aiden Satomi doesn't believe in slowing down. A two-sport athlete as a schoolboy, Satomi elected to play gridiron to prove to the mates that a change of scenery could be a game-changer. Built with a strong leg, Satomi is capable of downing punts inside the 5-yard line on a routine basis. A fan of the Fremantle Dockers, he first met his now-wife of two years, Fubuki Satomi, in his second year at South Fremantle High School. Indeed, one of his predecessors is a legend at the club, the late Matthew Pavlich.

"I could have played the footy and followed my old, old, old man but I chose not to," said Aiden, nicknamed "Denny" by his mates at home and on the Leafa Spirit Gridiron team. "But I do like to watch the occasional game over at Subi. My club has won five flags so far, so no one can't say that the Premiership hasn't docked at Fremantle Harbour.

"I met Fubuki, who I personally call 'Bucky', over at South Freo High when I was in my second year there. She told me that she moved with her parents here because Japan was too crowded, finding work was a pain in the arse, and she wanted to actually enjoy being near a beach and visit the Doctor every day. So we started dating, I met their parents, wonderful folks, and I began treating her to some really good food because I come from a good family with well-off parents.

"Bucky wasn't too much into the footy when she first immigrated here. But as time went on, she started to settle down and watch the action occur. She told me that there were times that she would feel really lewd seeing all those boys in their jumpers going after the footy that she wanted to wear a Dockers jumper and use it as some pajamas for the summer. She's not pretty good at hand passing a ball with her fist, let alone kick one, but she looks really cute in it, especially when she blushes, which is a lot.

"When I told Bucky that I got admitted to Leafa, she told me, I also got admitted too. Then I knew that I was going to be with her for the rest of my life because there were other schools she should have gone. But she was serious about starting a new life with me. We've been together ever since but we're not going to have a family until we get our diplomas. If I don't get drafted, I plan to try out for the Dockers and maybe follow in the steps of my old man.

"Bucky is one of those no-nonsense types of partners for me. She does what she needs to do, is very smart and knowledgeable, can speak Japanese, English and Korean fluently and is very adaptable to any circumstance. She remembered when she was a shipgirl and it was tough to see so many of her mates go with her following them, but I am of the belief that these types of special heroines are reborn as ordinary people doing extraordinary things in special ways.

"When we head to class on any given day on campus, we want to become leaders and help make our country proud. And for me, I want to be a star playing sports. She wants to perhaps be a teacher and a housewife and that's fine by me. In any case, our future is finding a nice house in Freo and having a family to raise. My mates on the team tell me, 'Hey Denny, mate, how's Bucky treating ya?' And I say, 'yeah mate, she treats me like I'm a real man, because I am.' And I never tell them that she's giving me the don't argue.

"Because, to be honest, my wife Bucky is also a klutz of a missus and doesn't even know what the bloody hell the 'don't argue' is. We're quite the odd couple. But we pull for the Dockers. Because we like ships, especially Premierships."

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

Leafa Homecoming 2072: Leafa, You Beauty!

By Graeme Wong

Spirit News
October 3, 2072

While Leafa College's American football team is a number of years old, it has never been able to properly observe a North American tradition known as Homecoming Week. This year, for the first time in college history, the Leafa College Associated Students (LeafaCAS) is hosting Homecoming 2072, which is an all-week event comprosing of numerous campus and sporting events and happenings, culminating with the Homecoming Game on Saturday night against the UNLV Rebels at Mandawuy Yunipingu Field. Erika Sendai, wife of Spirit linebacker Roy Hanamura, was named Homecoming Chair for this year's edition.

"This year's theme, which took us two full days to brainstorm," Sendai said, "is called 'Leafa, You Beauty!' It's something simple but effective, and it was under our noses all this time. We came up with really crazy ideas but in the end, simplicity was needed, as this is the gridiron team's first season in the NCAA. Being a little humble will do.

"We're patterning the schedule of events after that of our parent institution, Mitakihara University, Main Campus, riding on the success of the Magi football team and their glory days before we took over. Madoka's framework for their schedule made scheduling our events a bit easier. We will use our adapted framework for future editions of Homecoming."

The Homecoming game will be broadcast via television on new TV broadcast partner One and One World Sports globally. On radio, the game will be broadcast live and online on flagship radio station 5AO and the new affiliate radio station from Melbourne, 3TK 710 AM.

The Schedule is as follows:
(all times in AEST)

Tuesday, October 4

8:00 a.m. - Morning Prayers - Leafa Convocation Centre
Speaker: Archbishop Robert Royce Griffiths
Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Canberra

12 p.m. - Homecoming Registration Opens - Kirigaya Hall (Administration Building)
Registered participants must check in here for their Passport and vouchers for The Saturday Homecoming Barbie at Yunipingu Field Parking Lot.

All Day - Museums: Spend the afternoon visiting one of the Leafa College Museums. Admission is free with your Homecoming Passport.
* Diomedea Museum of Japanese Animation, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
* D.W. Streets Museum of Natural Sciences 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., miyazaki.madoka.ca
* Leafa College Heritage Museum of Australian History, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
-Museums open all day Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday

Leafa College Garden: Find your peace of mind visiting the Leafa College Garden and Nature Reserve, located next to the Leafa Convocation Centre. Admission is free with your Homecoming Passport. Open 6 a.m. to sunset, all week.

Libraries: Admission is free at the following locations with your Homecoming Passport:
* Shinozaki Library, 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
* Ayano Library 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Special Exhibit at Shinozaki Library: Deconstructing The Male Gaze - The Mystique of Mecha Musume.
For more information, please visit the Shinozaki Library website.
Libraries open all day Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday

1 p.m. Classes: Participants are invited to sit in on a variety of undergraduate classes:
Classes TBA, see College Web Site

2 p.m. and 3 p.m. - Konno Library Tours
Take a guided tour of the Konno Library at the Mitakihara School of Graduate Studies at Leafa College. Tours will meet at the reception area inside the front door and will leave at 2:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. Space on each tour is limited, first come, first serve.

3 p.m. - Open band practice
Leafa College Director of Bands, Dr. Ruth Hatanaka, holds a special band practice with members of the Leafa College Spirit Pep Band, the college's marching pep band. Following the band practice, complimentary issues of the inaugural compilation, "Cities And Towns," will be distributed where supplies are available. Limit one per person.

3:30 p.m. Campus tours led by The Sleeping Knights
Paying tribute to the defunct guild in the game Alfheim Online, the Sleeping Knights is the premiere student-run organization that is dedicated to serving the Leafa College community, the City of Canberra and the Australian Capital Territory and is owned and operated by the Leafa College Associated Students. Tours are conducted in English, Korean, Chinese and Japanese.
1. Leafa College General Tour
2. Beyond The Campus: A Tour of Campus Square, The Dorms and More
3. Touring the Leafa College Garden: Be One With Nature
Also will take place on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. All tours start at Yuuki Konno Memorial, near Mother's Rosario House, the administrative headquarters of the Sleeping Knights.

4:30 p.m. Campus tours led by The Sleeping Knights
1. Leafa College Athletic Facilities
2. Leafa Architecture: Reinventing and Redefining The Way You Learn
3. Leafa Garden Tea Ceremony (refreshments provided)
Also will take place on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. All tours start at Yuuki Konno Memorial, near Mother's Rosario House, the administrative headquarters of the Sleeping Knights.

5 p.m. - Shino Asada House Association Distinguished Australian Award
Honoring the surviving veterans of the War on Terror from 2010-2040
Presentation of Award, Kyouko Sonan, Provost, Leafa College, Shino Asada House Conference Room (Doors open at 4:00 p.m.)

Wednesday, October 5
9 a.m.- 3 p.m. - Homecoming Registration - Kirigaya Hall (Administration Building)
Registered participants must check in here for their Passport and vouchers for The Saturday Homecoming Barbie at Yunipingu Field Parking Lot.

5 p.m. - Leafa College Glee Club Concert
Tickets required: $50 for adults, $40 for students and $30 for pensioners. Tickets can be purchased directly through the Leafa Box Office by phone at 061 2 51LEAFA (061 2 51125161) or online at the box office website.

Thursday, October 6
9 a.m.- 3 p.m. - Homecoming Registration - Kirigaya Hall (Administration Building)

5 p.m. - Men's Water Polo vs. Air Force
Aniplex Campus Pool

7 p.m. - Leafa College Spirit FC vs. Box Hill Hawks
Battle for the Mother's Rosario Cup, Leafa Oval. Tickets required: $60 for adults, $40 for students and $30 for pensioners. Tickets can be purchased directly through the Leafa Box Office by phone at 061 2 51LEAFA (061 2 51125161) or online at the box office website.

7 p.m. - Leafa College Battle of the Bands, Tsuboi Centre and Exhibition Hall
Tickets required: $50 for adults, $30 for students and $20 for pensioners. Tickets can be purchased directly through the Leafa Box Office by phone at 061 2 51LEAFA (061 2 51125161) or online at the box office website.

7 p.m. - Men's Futsal vs. North Canberra
J.C. Staff Arena, Main Court

7:30 p.m. - Leafa College Rugby Club vs. UC Vikings
The A-1 Pictures Canberra Classic, Yunipingu Field. Battle for the Dicey Cafe Bowl. Tickets required: $60 for adults, $40 for students and $25 for pensioners. Tickets can be purchased directly through the Leafa Box Office by phone at 061 2 51LEAFA (061 2 51125161) or online at the box office website.

Friday, October 7

5 p.m. - Women's Volleyball vs. Australia 2055 National Junior Girls
Battle for the Big Golden Boomerang. Exhibition, Main Court, Kirigaya Family Pyramid

Approx. 8 p.m. - Pep Rally at Main Court, Kirigaya Family Pyramid
Following the Women's Volleyball game vs. Australia 2055 National Junior Girls, the 2072 Leafa College Spirit Team will be introduced. Speeches by head coach Dan Harding, offensive team captain Lachlan Akai, defensive team captain Vic Tsuchimikado, Leafa College athletic director Erika Yano and college provost Kyouko Sonan will be made.

9 p.m. - Evening activities
Visit the world-renowned Dicey Cafe or your favorite restaurant at the Campus.
Meet Your Mates: Special gathering for Leafa College Sports Society at Dicey Cafe, cash bar @ 9:00 p.m.

Saturday, October 8
5:00 - 9:00 a.m. - Brekkie at the Dorms - Passport holders are invited to enjoy a hot breakfast at the dorm of their choice. Pay at the door (cash please), cost is $15 per person.

7 a.m. - Morning Prayers - Leafa Convocation Centre
Speaker: Archbishop Robert Royce Griffiths
Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Canberra

7 a.m. to 8 p.m. - Homecoming Headquarters and Registration - Leafa Tower

9 a.m. - Men's Soccer vs. Cal State Northridge
Miyamori Field

10 a.m. Women's field hockey vs. Stanford
Ogasawara Field

12 p.m. Women's Soccer vs. UCLA
Miyamori Field

6 p.m. to kickoff Pre-Game Tailgate at Athletics
Pack a picnic and set up a tailgate with your friends prior to the Leafa-UNLV football game. The Spirit Tailgate Area will be located inside Yunipingu Gate 5. Cars can park at the adjacent car park for $50, payable on-side. Tailgate is permitted for 2 hours prior to kickoff and for one hour following the game.

8 p.m. Gridiron Kick-Off
Cheer on the Leafa College Spirit as they take on the UNLV Rebels. A block of tickets for Madoka Homecoming is currently reserved through the Leafa College Box Office. Tickets are required and cost $60 each, children ages 12 and under are free. Tickets can be purchased directly through the Leafa Box Office by phone at 061 2 51LEAFA (061 2 51125161) or online at the box office website.

7 p.m. - 4th quarter - The Homecoming Barbie
Barbecue in the Yunupingu Field Parking Lot, Gates 7-11. A voucher for the "Canberra Barbie Society Fan Zone" is included in your Homecoming registration price. Please be sure to check-in at the Homecoming registration desk to receive your meal ticket. Drinks will be sold separately on-site. A variety of family a children's activities will be offered in the "Fan Zone," including face painting, music, sports games, prizes and raffles.

8 p.m. Women's Netball vs. Canberra Darters
Battle for the Asuna Yuuki Memorial Cup. Exhibition game, Kirigaya Family Pyramid

8 p.m. - A Symphony Dedicated To Kantai Collection
Presented by the Leafa College Philharmonic (LeafaPhil), Tsuboi Centre.
Ticket Required: Regular: $60.00, $50.00, $40.00;
Students: $40.00, $35.00, $30.00; Pensioners (65+): $30.00,
$25.00, $20.00.
Tickets can be purchased directly through the Leafa Box Office by phone at 061 2 51LEAFA (061 2 51125161) or online at the box office website.

Sunday, October 9
9 a.m. - Leafa College 10K Race Through The Streets
Get ready to put on your running or walking shoes and take a cruise around the different places on campus and in Canberra. The route starts at Leafa Tower and will weave around the city before ending at Campus Square. Registration is $80.00 ($50.00 for students with ID, $30 for pensioners) at the Madman Quad tent from 6 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. All proceeds benefit the Konno Foundation For HIV Prevention. Concessions and medals will be provided at finish line. This is a noncompetitive run/walk. No cash prizes will be awarded.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Leafa Make Mockery Of Homecoming, Defeat UNLV 192-28

By Graeme Wong

Spirit News
October 9, 2072

Dan Harding's Leafa College Spirit Gridiron Team were at it again in Homecoming 2072, and in one of the most dominating performances of their inagural season in the NCAA, the Spirit destroyed the UNLV Rebels, 192-28, at Yunupingu Field in Canberra, ACT. Quarterback Cooper Kanie was lights out in his work, passing for 465 yards and five touchdowns while rushing for 610 yards and 11 more scores. However, there were a number of other supporting cast members that jumped into the fray.

Halfback Jackson Tatara ran for 283 yards and three touchdowns, halfback Ethan Wakamatsu recorded 276 yards on the ground to go with five major scores, wideout Dayne Tsubashi caught four passes for 134 yards and a touchdown and wideout Kai Emiya caught five passes for 68 yards and a score. Offensive lineman Casey Fasi led a strong blocking game for the Spirit with 22 pancake blocks, while Marco Sapolu and Stafford Ropati added 18.

Strong safety Lee Bongdal led the tacklers on defense with 14 tackles, while cornerback Daniel Tachibana recorded 10 tackles and two inteceptions. Right end Darren Kurokiba registered a couple of quarterback sacks while cornerback Billy Ooji had 12 tackles and a pick. Left end Gary Acura led the pass rush with three sacks on the evening.

"I was impressed with our performance but defending the pass has been a bother for me," Coach Harding said following the contest. "We gave up a lot of yards through the air, and I would imagine that was after we ran it up on them early, forcing them to chase the game. UNLV is a team that will set records for passing on us, but as long as we have enough points to win the contest, it is of no consequence to the boys.

"We'll take the win any way we can and get ready for the next game."

Leafa improve to 5-0 and host the San Diego State Aztecs next week.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

The Mystique of The Canberra Raiders

By Graeme Wong

Spirit News
October 11, 2072

The Canberra Raiders are an Australian professional rugby league football club based in the national capital city of Canberra, Australian Capital Territory. They have competed in Australasia's elite rugby league competition, the National Rugby League (NRL) premiership since 1982. Over this period the club has won 3 premierships, (out of 5 Grand Finals played), received 1 wooden spoon and had a total of 15 of its players (9 New South Wales Blues and 6 Queensland Maroons) selected to don the green and gold for Australia. The Raiders' current home ground is Canberra Stadium in Bruce. Previously, the team played home matches at Seiffert Oval in Queanbeyan, New South Wales, with the move to Canberra Stadium taking place in 1990. The official symbol for the Canberra Raiders is the Viking. The Viking, also a mascot at Raiders' games, is known as Victor the Viking.

As part of the New South Wales Rugby Football League premiership's first expansion outside Sydney, the Raiders were admitted to the League, along with the Illawarra Steelers in 1982. Over the following years they improved steadily, reaching a playoff for 5th in their third season, and becoming the first non-Sydney team to make the finals (1987), feature in a grand final (1987) and win a premiership (1989). This heralded a period of great success for the club, with five grand final appearances and three premierships in eight years. During this period, the Raiders boasted international players such as Mal Meninga, Laurie Daley, Ricky Stuart, Glenn Lazarus, Bradley Clyde, Gary Belcher, Brett Mullins and Steve Walters. After this came the Super League war, with the Raiders switching to the rebel competition before continuing to compete in the re-unified NRL.

Since inception, the Raiders' team colours have been lime green and white with blue and gold bands. In recent years, the "away" strip for the team has been mostly white, with lime green, blue and gold bands. The lime green was chosen as the main colour as it differentiated the side from other club's colours. The blue and gold were included in the Raiders colours as they are the traditional sporting colours of the Australian Capital Territory.

The original jersey's design was chosen through a competition held by the club in 1981. The winning entrant was Ms Patricia Taylor, whose design was duly adopted.

The Raiders' largest ever winning margin was 68 points, when they defeated the Parramatta Eels 68-0 during the 1993 NSWRL season. Their worst loss was in the 2013 NRL season when the Melbourne Storm dealt a 4-68 defeat. Canberra have won eleven consecutive games twice, in 1990 and in 1995.

Jason Croker has played the most games for the Raiders with 318 between 1991 and 2006. He also holds the club's all-time try scoring record with 120. David Furner is Canberra's highest ever point scorer with 1,218 (49 tries, 511 goals) between 1992 and 2000. Notable supporters of the club include Formula One driver Mark Webber, Brad Haddin, Brendan Jones, Bob Hawke, Michael Milton, James O'Loghlin and Erin Molan.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

The Mystique of The Brumbies

By Graeme Wong

Spirit News
October 12, 2072

The Brumbies (for sponsorship reasons known as the University of Canberra Brumbies and formerly known as the ACT Brumbies) are an Australian professional Rugby union football team competing in the Super Rugby. The team is based in Canberra, Australian Capital Territory (ACT) and named for the wild horses which inhabit the capital's hinterland. The team represents the ACT and southern New South Wales (NSW) regions.

The Brumbies were formed in 1996 to provide a third Australian franchise for the newly formed Super 12 (now Super Rugby) competition. It was predicted that the Brumbies, made up of so-called 'reject' – players not wanted by the other two teams – would perform poorly. Since then, they have enjoyed more success than all the other Australian teams combined, reaching five finals and winning two.

The Brumbies play in navy blue, white and gold kits. The team plays at GIO Stadium (formerly known as Bruce Stadium and Canberra Stadium) in Canberra.

Rugby union football has a long history in the ACT. The British Isles opened their 1899 tour of Australia with a match in Goulburn. However, it was not until 1938 that the ACT Rugby Union was finally established. Four clubs made up the first local competition; University, Easts, RMC and Norths. Also that year, a representative ACT side faced off against the All Blacks, losing 5 to 56.[citation needed]

The first international victory for an ACT representative side was in 1973, when they defeated Tonga 17 points to six. In 1978 an ACT side defeated Wales, who were Five Nations champions at the time. ACT had trailed at half time, 6 to 16, but came back and won with a penalty kick in the final moments of the match.

ACT defeated NSW 44 to 28 at Sydney's Concord Oval in 1994, which led the way for the ACT to become a franchise, and be included in the new professional international Super 12 competition, alongside the Reds and Waratahs. ACT became Australia's third provincial team in the new competition, known officially as the ACT Brumbies.

The Brumbies traditional colours are navy blue, white and gold. Their primary jersey is navy with gold trim, with navy shorts and socks. The alternate jersey is gold and yellow, generally worn for away matches. The Brumbies also have a traditional jersey which is used for games against fellow Australian Super 12 foundation teams NSW and Queensland, which reflects the original home jersey worn between 1996 and 2005. This features a navy 'saddle' across the shoulders and white below chest level, with gold trim. The primary jersey sponsor is the University of Canberra.

he team is named after the wild horses which inhabit Canberra's hinterland. The Brumbies mascot is Brumby Jack. The Brumbies were originally known as the ACT Brumbies when they were accepted into the Super 12 for its inaugural season in 1996. Shortly after the 2004 season, two regional governing bodies in New South Wales – Far South Coast Rugby Union and Southern Inland Rugby Union, joined the ACT Rugby Union, which then renamed itself the ACT and Southern NSW Rugby Union. The team adopted a new name and logo for the 2005 season, dropping the "ACT" to become known simply as "The Brumbies". The name change identified that the team represented an area much larger than the Australian Capital Territory – with "Brumbies Territory" incorporating a number of regions through southern New South Wales including the Riverina, Shoalhaven, and Southern Highlands as well as the Sunraysia region incorporating parts of Victoria.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

Leafa College Athletic Director Erika Yano easing into role

By Graeme Wong

Spirit News
October 13, 2072

Appointed on Sept. 1 midway through the 2072-73 college sports season, former computer graphic engineer Erika Yano is taking on a new challenge: being an athletic director for Leafa College's Department of Sport and Physical Education, the college's athletic department in partnership with the athletic department of Mitakihara University's Main Campus in Canada. The reason: working in the animation industry was just too boring.

"I can't be working in an environment where sleep comes at a premium and I don't have a really strong network of partners to communicate with," said Yano, who has a son that is looking to play gridiron for the Spirit in the future. "I already had years of leadership under my belt as a student in Japan, so I decided that I will become an athletic director and take on a more challenging role that is not so repetitive.

"Being an athletic director is a unique experience. You are in constant conversation, in close contact, with all of the coaches, trainers and recruiters from all the teams that compete in the NCAA and outside in, and you make sure that your teams are compliant. If something doesn't look right, I take the necessary corrective action to ensure that we don't receive any penalties.

"Furthermore, the importance of sportsmanship is something that some of the players on a number of teams take for granted. This is sport. This isn't war. You don't have to be violent to make a point, you just need to play according to the laws of the game. Leafa's players have been known to be benevolent, to be good sports, and to be strong advocates of sports as a way to be physically and mentally fit and balanced. Fights and unsportsmanlike actions by the teams are very rare out here, at least according to what I've been told.

"I hope that I will be able to do what I can to impress [provost] Kyouko [Sonan] and build a very strong reputation as the athletic director for the department I work. It's a nice change from the repetitive job I used to have in Japan. I have been personally impressed by the work of the football team and I hope they will continue performing to the best of their ability."

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Aztecs Crushed By Leafa Spirit In A Rainstorm

By Graeme Wong

Spirit News
October 16, 2072

Quarterback Cooper Kanie led a charge by Dan Harding's Leafa College Spirit Gridiron Team against the San Diego State Aztecs, prevailing in a thundering rainstorm, 132-27, at Yunupingu Field in Canberra, ACT. Kanie passed for 262 yards and three touchdowns while rushing for 344 yards and nine more major scores. Halfback Jackson Tatara ran for 285 yards and a touchdown while halfback Ethan Wakamatsu ran for 92 yards and three more major scores. Tatara also led the receivers with eight catches for 77 yards and a touchdown.

Wide receiver Dayne Tsunashi led the team in blocks with 25 while fellow wideout Mitch Kihara added 12. Linebacker David Hazuki led the defense in tackling with 14 tackles while Roy Hanamura added 12. Lincoln Yama and Nick Mikisugi each had ten tackles, while Mikisugi added four sacks. Cornerback Billy Ooji paced a ferocious pass defensive with two interceptions.

"Wet conditions like this are part of the game and today, our boys were up to the challenge and they got it done," Coach Harding said. "It wasn't our most productive performance in terms of points but a win is a win and the margin was still convincing. We look forward to next week's match against the U.S. Air Force Academy. It will be an honor to welcome one of the military wings of our good mates Stateside."

Leafa improve to 6-0 on the season and face the Air Force Falcons at home next week.