• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Hachiko's Mitakihara Magi Dynasty

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Magi Football Coaching Staff (2071)
Head Coach: Tatsuya Kaname
Offensive Coord.: Haruyuki Arita
Quarterbacks: Rajiv Singh
Running Backs: Kohei Miyahara
Receivers: Dee Dee Sonoda
Offensive Line: Andrew Coley Farina
Defensive Coordinator:
Harutora Tsuchimikado
Defensive Line: Kent Nanase
Linebackers: Jeff Nakazawa
Secondary: Gene Mitaka
Special Teams: Ronnie Hinchcliffe
Graduate Assistant: Dev Acura
Recruiting Coordinator: Seara August

Tatsuya Kaname became a Coach Level 54 in 2022. He became a Coach Level 27 in Recruiting in 2019 and a Coach Level 27 in Game Management in 2022.

Magi Sprint Football Coaching Staff (2071)
Head Coach: Dominique Wright
Offensive Coordinator: Sam Tremblay
Quarterbacks: Ricky Cojuangco
Running Backs: Lance Williams
Receivers: Makoto Yasaka
Offensive Line: Brian Dobbin
Defensive Coord.: Thomas Pittman
Defensive Line: Sean Yamashita
Linebackers: Keith Onazi
Secondary: Trevon Miller
Special Teams: Yoshino Kousaka
Graduate Assistant: Bubba Coleman

Team Doctor: Hiromi "Hakase" Shinonome, M.D.
Athletic Director: Ritsu Kawai

Chancellor: Honoka Kaname
Vice-Chancellor: Hozuki Ferrari
Provosts: Erika Chiba (Mitakihara),
Kyouko Sonan (Leafa College),
Kiriko Kiyuna (Japan Campus),
Likantz Seaberry
(Mitakihara-Squamish)
Visitor: Rt. Hon. Shiki Ichinose-Marlowe, Premier of British Columbia

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
0597461fb934f25c22507f4cbab71c5d.jpg

2071 Set To Become A Strange Season In Mitakihara Magi Football

By Enju Aihara
The Daily Magi
July 1, 2071

He looks at his timepiece, blows a whistle, and watches waves of young men go through stretching exercises, pacing like a panther on a Sunday morning on the island of Capri. Donning his cheap sunglasses and his iconic trucker hat, he looks at his set of plays, flips a few pages, flips them back, nods, blows his whistle again. And he does this for the first half hour until it's time to adjourn for one-on-one drills and pass skeletons in full synchronization. And that's just the first hour of the first day.

Welcome to the beginnings of what is projected, by pundits and experts and unwashed heathens to the game of gridiron football, to be a strange year for Mitakihara University Athletics and Mitakihara University Football. This is the 61st season of Coach Tatsuya Kaname's career. Yes, you are not seeing things. This is his 61st season. He's 75, and still looks as fit as he was when he was age 14 back in 2011.

2011 seems like ages ago. The game has gotten faster, smarter, safer, and more effective in terms of play. For many years, the Puella Magi Option and Morning Rescue Defense showcase the true potential of those athletes wishing to come into the field as winners and end their college days as immortals. Yes, 2011 seems like ages ago. But Coach Kaname is not someone that looks back. He prefers to move forward and think ahead. This is a job that he now enjoys for fun, as he now a pensioner. Not often you can say that pensioners are active head football coaches. Coach Kaname just likes to work, that's all.

"Honestly, this is all leisure, what I'm doing," Coach Kaname said while being filmed for an upcoming reality TV series on Radio Madoka, the University-owned television and radio network. "This is fun stuff. I leave most of the heavy lifting to my staff. Sometimes I like to help assist with work but for the most part, I've been making the administrative part a team job. As always, I have the final say in any team-related matter, deferring opinion to Ms. Ritsu [Kawai], who is doing a bang-up job as the new A.D.

"I've pretty excited about this team. We have a number of redshirt seniors coming back, some other seniors playing their last season, and then you have a few more young boys who we are going to throw in the fire."

One of those players: freshman halfback Kodaka Onodera. Nicknamed "Kona" for short, Onodera rushed for 4,000 yards and 50 touchdowns at Mitakihara Secondary School and led the Angels to another provincial title. One of the interesting quirks about Kona is that he likes to drink beverages made with green coffee extract from Hawaii, adding to the coincidental mystique of his nickname.

"We're really high on Kodaka to make this his year carrying the ball," Coach Kaname said. "He's shifty like a lion and faster than a cheetah. And he has that eagle's eye for the endzone. He knows his destination relative to his location and he's got the locomotion with the rush of the ocean. Kodaka's a top notch player, and we think he'll be a freshman all-American this fall."

Another player that is set to fill in for a famous star is freshman strong safety Daniel Manatsu. The Athletic Department posted signs all over the city saying, "Hey! Da Man Is Coming! You Ain't Ready!" replete with his image and iconic evil smile reminiscent of the late Governor of California, the evil dictator from the Tea Party known as Neel Kashkari. In fact, Manatsu is a descendant of Kashkari, thus claiming Japanese, Iranian and West Indian blood, along with a masterstroke of chauvinism incomparable in postmodern times.

former-bank-bailout-chief-neel-kashkari-wants-to-be-the-next-governor-of-california.jpg

"Da Man's as nasty as his old man, and he's leaning towards a political science major after the program at this university sold the house on him," Coach Kaname said. "He votes for the conservative party and claims to have magical powers similar to Stephen Harper. I told him, 'Well, that makes you more of an ass, but we love that attitude; we just need to polish it just a tad.' Da Man knows how to make quarterbacks look like major junior rejects, he hits you hard like a 2' by 4' with steel-cut spikes, and when he celebrates, he squeals like a girl experiencing a climax for the first time. His wife, Chiya Ujimatsu, is a master's student here. He may be the weirdest, creepiest badass we have on this team, and we're going to put him to the test this season so that he becomes a man of men."

Finally, one more freshman that Coach Kaname kept an eye on is the heir apparent to Haku Ichijou, freshman free safety Jack Arashi, the aspiring Man of the Year. Madoka's recruiting brains trusted signed The Lad to the team for one reason: swagger.

"I love guys that consider the Dead Kennedys to be gods of rock because it is indicative of their hipster taste for metal," said Coach Kaname. "Joking aside, Jack's got swagger. He's a confident player that is always positive and has the most intoxicating sense of humour you will ever experience. Jack's wife, Sharo Kirima, is also a master's student here at Madoka. So we have two freshmen with graduate students for wives. It's unconventional, but that's the way things work around a place with as many happy couples as Mitakihara University."

Yes indeed. 2071 will truly be a strange season in Mitakihara Magi Football history. The question is...is anyone really ready for the madness to unravel? Anyone?

Last edited:

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
9944ca66d96e03ac94be29fe95b1487a.jpg

EYEWITNESS ACCOUNT: In Homura Akemi's Words

By Homura Akemi
Special To the Daily Magi
August 2, 2071

Time definitely passes by. It heals all things: from deep divisions to tragic conclusions to those random occurences in your life when you felt you were slighted by fate. Such is my life up to this moment. I live every day with a desire to join Madoka and the others into that long elevator ride into the heavens, where we can enjoy watching the world change until time is but a mere concept that no longer exists.

My name is Homura Akemi. I am 75 years old and will turn 76 next February. I have spent a great deal of my life molding Mitakihara University into the institution that it is. I was an offensive coordinator for the football team, an Olympic champion, and a leading member of Mitakihara University's administration for decades before I decided to retire from my final position as chancellor. I handed the job to my daughter, Honoka, and she is the current chancellor of the university. As for me, I am a pensioner, tending a garden full of vegetables, including tomatoes.

Actually, I do a lot of other things, too. I help cook meals with Takkun [Tatsuya Kaname], I ride my bike or walk to get my exercise, I often pass by the Homulilly Society headquarters on campus at Your Silver Garden to meet those worthy of earning their own Dark Orb when they graduate, and I play cards and other games with Madoka, Sayaka, Kyouko, Mami, Nagisa, and our close circle of friends at the Mitakihara Good Friends Social Club.

Even though I've moved on from life as an administration or an employee of the university, I get people still asking me for advice on how to live their life, on how to approach this issue or that issue, on how to manage the daily grind without falling apart. Lots of students use me as a reference for their resumes, and I've been selective as to who I can help because I'm not going to be a savior to everybody. As a Goddess of Love that is counterpoint to the Goddess of Hope, i.e. my wife Madoka, I have to put my interests first. But I do help whoever I can because being selective and elitist in my ways of thinking can be unhealthy if they are not moderated.

People joke around with me, telling me, "Did you give your wife her powers back? Are you ever going to make her who she is?" And I say to that, "She is no more powerful than I am, and I am no more powerful than she is. We work together to bring balance to everything we love because we live together, we have the same husband and we love each other. Madoka, at first, was resentful of what I did, and I anticipated that. But she never gave up on me and I never gave up on her. So we've learned to adjust and our family has benefitted. She knows what I want, I know what she wants."

"I know they're just messing around with me, because they know us, they know our history, they respect what we've done, and the community treats us like royals. I just want to be considered as a person that lived her life doing what needed to be done, while respecting the wishes of those she loved. And I want to live the rest of my life as someone who can mentor students at my university to take risks, to never give up, to do all means necessary to get the job done.

"I want others who have yet to realize the future in front of them to take the lead and believe in what they can do. No one is perfect, no one is better than the other. When we learn from what we did wrong, we take steps to make it right and succeed. After all, if I am not mistaken, we are all part of the big picture in this wonderful universe, and I am proud to say that after six decades of being a Canadian, I made Mitakihara University an awesome school."

Last edited:

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Mitakihara hit ground running with 101-28 victory over West Virginia

By Enju Aihara
The Daily Magi
August 29, 2071

Tatsuya Kaname's Mitakihara Magi opened their season with the first of three straight matches in primetime on the road. The Magi traveled to Mountaineer Field at Milan Puskar Stadium and rolled past the West Virginia Mountaineers, 101-28. Senior quarterback Russ Opare passed for 221 yards and a touchdown while rushing for 270 yards and three scores.

Halfback Drew Childs ran for 256 yards and six touchdowns, fullback Corey Addy ran for 157 yards two scores, and halfback Shannon Wright rushed for 134 yards and a major. Wide receiver Will Atsu caught three passes for 50 yards and a touchdown, wideout Larry Igiebor caught two passes for 57 yards and wideout Marcus Mba, caught two passes for 45 yards. Igiebor had 29 pancakesa and Atsu had 28 pancakes to lead the blockers.

Free safety Jack Arashi led the defense with 13 tackles while strong safety Daniel Manatsu had 12 tackles. Freshman left end Kazuki S. Biyik had seven tackles and six sacks to anchor an aggressive pass rush. Left end Steven Evans had six sacks while cornerback Marlon Boakye had seven tackles and an interception.

Mitakihara improve to 1-0 and continue their road trip next week to face the Michigan State Spartans.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I was a bit sad to see I left CSU, but I'm glad I went out on such a high note. Now I plan on gambling, drinking, and whoring at UNLV and the results probably won't be very good. An 89 year old engaging in those activities might not make it through the season!

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

The Mystique of EA Canada

By Enju Aihara

The Daily Magi
September 3, 2071

EA Canada is a video game developer located in Burnaby, British Columbia. The development studio opened (as Distinctive Software) in January 1983 and is EA's largest and oldest studio. EA Canada alone employs approximately 1,600 people and houses the world's largest video game test operation.

The campus consists of a motion-capture studio, twenty-two rooms for composing, fourteen video editing suites, three production studios, a wing for audio compositions, and a quality assurance department. There are also facilities such as fitness rooms, two theatres, a cafeteria called EAt, coffee bars, and a video games room. The building is situated next to Discovery Park.

EA Canada is a major studio of the American gaming software giant Electronic Arts or EA, which has several other non-American studios around the globe. EA, based in Redwood City, California, acquired Distinctive Software in 1991 for $11 million and renamed them EA Canada. At the time of the business acquisition, Distinctive Software was noted for developing a number of racing and sporting games published under the Accolade brand. Since becoming EA Canada, it has developed many EA Games, EA Sports, and EA Sports BIG games.

EA acquired Black Box Games in 2002 and became part of EA Canada under name EA Black Box. It later became an independent EA studio in 2005. Since its acquisition, EA Black Box has been home to the Need for Speed franchise, among others.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

Michigan State falls to the Mighty Magi, 110-10

By Enju Aihara
The Daily Magi
September 5, 2071

Tatsuya Kaname's Mitakihara Magi were relentless in their 110-10 victory over the Michigan State Spartans at Spartan Stadium in East Lansing, Mich. Quarterback Russ Opare had a rough time throwing the ball, passing for just 165 yards, a touchdown and two interceptions. However, Opare made up for his deficiencies as a passer by running the ball for 359 yards and six more touchdowns.

Freshman halfback Kodaka Onodera had a breakthrough performance, rushing for 273 yards and three touchdowns. Halfback Drew Childs ran for 176 yards and a score and fullback Corey Addy ran for 67 yards and a major. Wide receiver Larry Igiebor caught three passes for 42 yards and the only receiving touchdown for the Magi, wideout Will Atsu caught four passes for 41 yards and Childs caught five passes for 39 yards.

Atsu led the blockers with 31 pancakes while Igiebor added 26 pancakes. On defense, cornerback Henry Waris and middle linebacker Ernest Macklin each had 13 tackles. Defensive tackle Gabriel Takatori Idir and left end Kazuki S. Biyik each recorded four sacks to anchor a steady pass rush for the Magi.

Mitakihara improve to 2-0 and return to action next week against the Missouri Tigers in a battle of No. 1 vs. No. 2.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

Mitakihara: The Culinary Capital of Canada

By Enju Aihara

The Daily Magi
September 8, 2071

For decades following the emergence of Mitakihara University as a dominant force in education and college athletics, the cities of Toronto, Ont., Montreal, Que. and Vancouver, B.C. had been in a never-ending tug of war for the Culinary Capital of Canada. However, for the past decade, there has been one undisputed culinary capital in all of Canada, and that is Mitakihara Town, which has the essences of all three cities, along with that of other cities.

Mitakihara is full of the cowboy traditions of Calgary and Edmonton; the Atlantic upbringings of New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland; the simple fare of towns like Saskatoon and Regina, and the relentless heritage of a blue-collar town like Winnipeg. Indeed, Mitakihara's chefs and restauranteurs hail from every big city in Canada to help develop its culinary style reflective of the nation.

The heart of Mitakihara's gastronomy lies in McGann's Pub and Grill, the city's first-ever gastropub originally catering to students of the university. Many former chefs at McGann's, most of whom are alumni of Mitakihara University, have gone on to become celebrities, like Luc Renault '40, Danny Greer '36, Abraham Deloach '38, Mabel Thibodaux '49, Samuel Sandoval '53 and J.D. Bowser '39, the latter being one of Canada's many Iron Chefs. Ritchie Peace '70 is the current chef at McGann's and is aware of the burden the city has to serve the most delicious food at the most reasonable prices.

"The Prime Minister of Canada, Jack Diefenbaker, gave our city the capital of The Nation's Kitchen," Peace said via interview at McGann's while the staff were preparing the restaurant for another business day. "And when you are The Nation's Kitchen, you have foodies to feed and egos to satisfy.

"There are so many good restaurants in this city, and in this province, there's lots of resources to go to in order to be successful. We're near the ocean, and a lot of our seafood is caught off the waters of the straight of Georgia. We import our beef and chicken and pork from the mainland and Alberta, and the Fraser Valley and nearby Washington have some of the finest fruits. We also are near California and Oregon, so we have even more resources to go to.

"Competition is very strong in Mitakihara. The restaurant industry in this city is incredible. We have cuisines from different parts of the world, not just Canada. Every continent is represented. We even have fusion restaurants that incorparate the cuisine of the First Nations. Tourists not only come to Mitakihara to look at the architecture and the culture, but they come for the food and fine dining. Who doesn't love eating a world-class meal at a great value with a gorgeous skyline in the background at night? We are proud to advocate gastronomy on the cheap because we know that students and budget travelers love to stay here so that they can visit Vancouver Island and maybe even visit Mitakihara University.

"Our city is proud to be the Culinary Capital of Canada. We take pride in being the Nation's Kitchen. And we look forward to continuing to serve the world with the best that Canada has to offer."

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Wyoming defeated UNLV on a game winning field goal with 3:25 remaining in the fourth quarter to beat the Rebels and @Travis7401, 24-22. Wyoming's OVR is eight points lower than UNLV, so this was a bad loss for Corch Travis.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

Every True Son Is For Madoka

By Enju Aihara
The Daily Magi
September 12, 2071

On a cold and rainy night at Faurot Field at Memorial Stadium in Columbia, Mo., Tatsuya Kaname's No. 1 ranked Mitakihara Magi won a shootout over the No. 2 ranked Missouri Tigers, 108-41, in prime time. Quarterback Russ Opare spearheaded the Magi attack, passing for 290 yards and three touchdowns while rushing for 342 yards and four more scores. But it wasn't just the Iron Tiger from Hamilton that did the damage.

Halfback Kodaka Onodera ran for 227 yards and two scores, halfback Drew Childs ran for 80 yards and four more majors, wide receive Larry Igiebor caught four passes for 105 yards and a touchdown and wideout Marcus Mba caught four passes for 115 yards and another score. Igiebor led the blockers with 26 pancakes, while wideout Will Atsu had 22 pancakes. Defensively, cornerback James Boye had six tackles and three interceptions while fellow cornerback Alvin Chibsah had seven tackles and two picks.

"This is the second straight meeting with Missouri in which we didn't concede a safety," said Coach Kaname after the game. "That there is a trend that I like to see continue in future meetings with Mizzou because they're a good team and hopefully the players that come after this bunch of young men will avoid their own end zone against the best. We played a good game, it was a bit of a shootout, but the boys did their end of the bargain and the coaches did theirs and the rest is history."

Mitakihara improve to 3-0 and return to action next week against the North Carolina Tar Heels on the road.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
kfuf.png

New Fight Song introduced on campus!

By Enju Aihara
The Daily Magi
September 16, 2071

A former Mitakihara Magi football player, Chris Niskanen '67 and his wife Eila Niskanen '67, decided to pen another school anthem as a way of congratulating their alma mater on six decades of existence. With help from a former Magi baseball shortstop and current Vancouver Canadian Rick Thomas '67, they borrowed the melody of an old Arendellian ballad celebrating grandiose delusions, called 'Let It Go,' and made it into a song designed to rub it in the face of the haters trying to shut the Magi and Puella Magi down.

"We back up our talk with our performances in sports," said Niskanen, now a strong safety with the Saskatchewan Roughriders after a rough going with the Green Bay Packers in the NFL. "So the song 'Let You Know' is just that, we're letting all the haters know that you can hate as much as you want, but you're only telling us that we're doing a great job and it's onward, onward, onward! With capital O, like a goose egg.

"Rick is a good friend of mine and he was known for writing political satire songs slamming the Trudeaus for being too out of touch with their own sanity and slamming Barack Obama for being a brother of brothers. He supports Thatcherism the same way a dog's tail supports wagging its respective canine owner. He was insistent on using 'We Da Best' instead of 'We're the Best' because he supports the Columbus Crew and is known on BigSoccer as THOMA GOL. Apparently, it localized the music as if to keep it real. And that's what us Mitakihara Hipsters are infamous for: we like to keep it realer than real, because shit just got real.

"I'm glad that 'Let You Know' is part of the list of Madoka Magi fight songs and I hope it's belted a capella whenver we're winning our way. And you all know what we mean, because generations lived through it. We're letting you know that the Rose, Pink and White will win anyway. So, fear us, I guess."

"Let You Know" will debut this week against the North Carolina Tar Heels and will be performed by the award-winning Mitakihara University Marching Ultimates.

"There lies a school on the Western Coast
Full of awesome, so it seems.
The pride of Mitakihara.
Hail the college of our dreams.

The teams are full of burning passion deep inside.
Got nowhere to run, got nowhere to hide.

We know our sports, from A to Z,
Gunning for a Magi Victory.
We got the skills to win the game,
So know the name!

Let you know, let you know
That we're gonna win it all.
Let you know, let you know,
From the spring into the fall!

We da best!
You've got hell to pay!
We are Madoka.
The Rose, Pink and White will win anyway!

We're fighting for the Goddess,
We fight for Devil too.
They're the ones that made this school rise
Out of the ocean blue.

We tell their tales of hope and love,
We tell of blessings from above.
No one will dare get in our way today!

Let you know, let you know,
That we're running up the score.
Let you know, let you know.
Heave away, here comes some more!

Still da best!
More hell to pay!
We are Madoka!

We're from the City of the Future, yes we are.
Here on this campus, every student is a shining star.
Mitakihara is our home away from home.
Remember who you are,
For you are not alone!

We will fight till the game is won.
Our Madoka lives on!

We da best!
You've got hell to pay!
Everybody knows
The Rose, Pink and White will win anyway!"​

-K. Anderson-Lopez, R. Lopez, R. Thomas '67, C. Niskanen '67 and E. Niskanen '67

Last edited:

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Against 0-2 Northwestern, @Travis7401 and UNLV lost another heartbreaker. With 15 seconds to go in the game, a 5-yard touchdown run gave the Wildcats a 27-26 come-from-behind victory in Evanston, Ill.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

Opare, Biyik, Madoka run riot on North Carolina, 133-19

By Enju Aihara
The Daily Magi
September 19, 2071

A rock-solid pass rush and a balanced offensive attack highlighted a 133-19 victory for Tatsuya Kaname's No. 1 ranked Mitakihara Magi over the No. 10 ranked North Carolina Tar Heels at Kenan Memorial Stadium in Chapel Hill, N.C. Quarterback Russ Opare ran the gamut on offense, passing for 228 yards and two touchdowns while rushing for 321 yards and seven scores. Other players on offense also stepped up for Madoka.

Halfback Kodaka Onodera ran for 287 yards and four touchdowns, fullback Corey Addy ran for 204 yards and three scores, halfback Drew Childs ran for 58 yards and another major, wide receiver Marcus Mba caught three passes for 83 yards, wideout Larry Igiebor caught three passes for 43 yards and a touchdown and wideout Chris Babatunde caught two passes for 60 yards and a score. Igiebor led the blockers on offense with 30 pancakes while Atsu added 23 pancakes.

The "S" in left end Kazuki S. Biyik's name stands for Schlierensauer—he claims German, Swiss, French and Japanese blood and is the son of Kazumi Schlierensauer '50 and the great-grandson of French musician Patrick Biyik—but it can also stand for "seven" and "sack." That's because Biyik broke through with his best performance of his young career with 10 tackles and seven sacks. Left outside linebacker Joey Agyemang Badu had four sacks, cornerback Alvin Chibsah had 10 tackles and an interception returned 53 yards for a touchdown, and middle linebacker Ernest Macklin had 14 tackles and a pick. To add icing on the cake, halfback Marvin Ainooson returned a punt 61 yards for a score in the third quarter.

Mitakihara improve to 4-0 and conclude their road trip by heading south to Columbia, S.C. to take on the South Carolina Gamecocks.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
For the third straight game, @Travis7401 and UNLV lose on the last offensive score. In the fourth quarter, a 2-yard touchdown run with 6:14 remaining in the game gave No. 19-ranked Air Force a 24-22 victory over UNLV. Sadao Mao he ain't!

Last edited:

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

The Mystique of the Southwest Conference, Part 1

By Enju Aihara

The Daily Magi
September 21, 2071

The Southwest Conference (SWC) was a college athletic conference in the United States from 1914 to 1996. It consisted of schools mostly in the state of Texas and one in Arkansas, with historical members in Oklahoma. The charter members of the conference were Baylor University, Oklahoma A&M University (now Oklahoma State University), Rice University, Southwestern University, Texas A&M University, the University of Arkansas, the University of Oklahoma, and the University of Texas.

L. Theo Bellmont, the University of Texas athletic director sent out questionnaires to schools in Texas and neighboring states to gauge their interest as to if they would be willing to be part of and organize an athletic conference. By March 1, 1914 a number of schools had responded favorably to the idea. The first organizational meeting of the conference was set to be held on April 30, 1914. The date was changed due to the fact that representatives from every school could not make it then. It was ultimately held on May 5 and 7, 1914 at the Oriental Hotel in Dallas, Texas. It was chaired by L. Theo Bellmont. Originally, Bellmont wanted Louisiana State University and the University of Mississippi to join the conference as well, but they declined to do so. The Southwest Intercollegiate Athletic Conference became an official body on December 8, 1914, at a formal meeting at the Rice Hotel in Houston.

Its early years saw fluctuation in membership; Southwestern (a comparatively smaller school) dropped out of the conference in 1916, and Southern Methodist University (SMU) joined in 1918; Texas Christian University (TCU) became a member in 1923. Rice University left the conference in 1916, only to re-join in 1918. Phillips University was a conference member for one year (1920). Oklahoma left in 1919 to join the Missouri Valley Intercollegiate Athletic Association (later known as the Big Eight Conference), and was followed by Oklahoma A&M in 1925. However, the series between Texas and Oklahoma would continue as an out-of-conference matchup in the annual Red River Rivalry game held in Dallas. From 1925 until 1991, the University of Arkansas would be the only conference member not located within the state of Texas.

By 1925, the conference's name was shortened to simply Southwest Conference. After its organizational years, the conference settled into regularly scheduled meetings among its members, and began to gain stature nationwide. The SWC would be guided by seven commissioners, the first of whom, P. W. St. Clair, was appointed in 1938. In 1940, the conference took control of the then five-year-old Cotton Bowl Classic, which further established the prestige of both the bowl and the conference. Texas Technological College (now Texas Tech University) joined the SWC in 1958, followed by the University of Houston for the 1976 season (Houston won the SWC football championship in its first season in the league).

The conference celebrated its glory football years in the 1960s. Texas won the 1963 National Championship, and Arkansas won a National Championship in 1964 in the Football Writers Association of America (FWAA) and Helms Athletic Foundation (HAF) polls. In 1969, Texas won another National Championship by beating #2-ranked Arkansas 15-14 in the regular season's final game (dubbed the "Big Shootout"). The 1969 Arkansas-Texas game in Fayetteville, Arkansas, attended by President Richard Nixon, is usually counted among the greatest college football games ever played. Texas also won the 1970 United Press International (UPI) National Championship (i.e., the coaches' poll), which until 1974 was awarded prior to the bowl games. Texas lost the Cotton Bowl Classic following the 1970 season to Notre Dame by a score of 24-11, giving the Associated Press (AP) Championship to Nebraska after they beat LSU by a score of 17-12 in the Orange Bowl.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

The Mystique of the Southwest Conference, Part 2

By Enju Aihara

The Daily Magi
September 22, 2071

Beginning in the late 1930s and lasting until 1995, the Southwest Conference Champion automatically received an invitation as the "host" team in the Cotton Bowl Classic game on New Year's Day in Dallas, Texas. Opponents usually were the runners-up from the Big 8 Conference or the Southeastern Conference, although independents Penn State and Notre Dame were also often featured. From the 1940s onward, the Cotton Bowl Classic was counted among the four major bowl games, and often had national championship implications. However, in the 1990s, the game declined in importance, largely because of the decline of SWC prominence. In 1977, Notre Dame became the last team to win a national championship in the Cotton Bowl Classic by beating Texas in the January 1978 game.

The SWC had many legendary players and coaches over the years. In football, John Heisman, Dana X. Bible, Paul "Bear" Bryant, Darrell Royal, Frank Broyles, Hayden Fry, Lou Holtz, Bill Yeoman, Gene Stallings, and Grant Teaff all served as head coaches in the conference. Some notable SWC players included Davey O'Brien, Sammy Baugh, Bobby Layne, Doak Walker, Tom Landry, Bob Lilly, Don Meredith, Earl Campbell, Andre Ware, Mike Singletary, John David Crow, Lance Alworth, and Eric Dickerson. The trio of kicking contemporaries Steve Little of Arkansas, Tony Franklin of Texas A&M, and Russell Erxleben of Texas all kicked record setting field goals of 60 + yards in the same season.

The early 1980s were the glory years of SWC basketball, including the Phi Slama Jama teams at the University of Houston. However, the most consistent program during the last quarter of the 20th century was the University of Arkansas with Sweet 16 appearances in 1978, 1979, 1981, 1983, 1990, 1991, Elite 8 appearances in 1978, 1979, 1990 and 1991 and Final Four appearances in 1978 and 1990. Arkansas's famed Triplets, Marvin Delph, Ron Brewer and Sidney Moncrief, gave the rest of the league fits. Furthermore, the Razorbacks' Lee Mayberry, Todd Day and Oliver Miller won three straight SWC regular season and tournament titles from 1989–1991, the school's last three seasons in the conference. The passion of Arkansas fans for their Razorbacks often overran the confines of SWC basketball venues, so much so, that Reunion Arena in Dallas (annual site of the SWC postseason tournament) was deemed "Barnhill South" (after the Razorbacks' on-campus arena) based on the numbers and intensity of Hog fans present.

Outstanding basketball coaches included Nolan Richardson, Tom Penders, Eddie Sutton, Abe Lemons, Guy V. Lewis, Shelby Metcalf and Gerald Myers. Great SWC hoops players included the aforementioned Triplets, Akeem Olajuwon, Clyde Drexler, Vinnie Johnson, Jon Koncak, Alvin Robertson, Ricky Pierce, Day, Mayberry, Miller and U.S. Reed, among others.

The Texas Longhorns baseball program under coach Cliff Gustafson won national titles in 1975 and 1983, as well as titles under Bibb Falk in 1949 and 1950. The Arkansas Razorbacks also fielded fine teams that advanced to the College World Series. The Hogs finished 2nd in 1979, 3rd in 1985 and 5th in both the 1987 and 1989 seasons. The Hogs have continued this tradition since moving to the SEC, reaching the CWS three times under Arkansas alum Dave Van Horn. Texas A&M rose to power in the late 1980s, going 58-5 in 1989 before losing twice in the regional championship round on its home field to LSU. The Aggies reached the College World Series in 1993. Rice began its ascent to college baseball's elite in the conference's final years under coach Wayne Graham, reaching the CWS in 1997, the year after the conference disbanded.

The Arkansas Razorbacks were dominant in track and field winning 15 SWC cross country team titles, 11 SWC indoor track team titles, 9 SWC outdoor track team titles and an incredible 8 SWC triple crowns (cross country, indoor track and outdoor track champions all in the same season. During their SWC days, the Razorbacks won 14 NCAA national team championships and one NCAA team triple crown. The list of Arkansas individual SWC champions and individual NCAA champions is long. Standout coaches and athletes include the legendary John McDonnell of Arkansas, the winningest coach in NCAA history regardless of sport. Baylor's Michael Johnson, Texas A&M's Randy Matson, Houston's Carl Lewis and Arkansas' Mike Conley all went on to win Olympic gold medals.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

The Mystique of the Southwest Conference, Part 3

By Enju Aihara

The Daily Magi
September 23, 2071

The 1980s saw many of the conference's athletic programs hit by recruiting scandals and NCAA probations. The only programs to escape probation in the 1980s were Arkansas, Baylor, and Rice. Because of repeated major violations, in 1985, the SMU Mustangs football program became only the third in NCAA history to receive the so-called "Death Penalty" (after Kentucky basketball in 1952-53 and Southwestern Louisiana basketball from 1973 to 1975). The NCAA canceled SMU's 1987 season, and limited it to seven road games for 1988. However, nearly all of the school's lettermen transferred elsewhere, forcing SMU to keep its football program shuttered for 1988 as well. SMU also remained on probation until 1990. At that time, NCAA rules prohibited schools on probation from appearing on live television. As a result, the conference's market share in television coverage dwindled. The SWC's performance in football declined precipitously. The final eight SWC champions lost in their bowl games. After SMU's second-place finish in most polls in 1982, SWC programs usually were not serious contenders for the national title. Texas had strong teams in 1981, 1983 and 1990, Arkansas had strong teams in 1988 and 1989, and Texas A&M was strong in 1992, but by the end of their respective seasons none were able to remain in the national championship hunt.

On June 27, 1984, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in NCAA v. Board of Regents of University of Oklahoma that the NCAA could not punish its membership for selling their media content. As a result, individual schools and athletic conferences were freed to negotiate contracts on their own behalf. The Big Ten and Pacific-10 conferences sold their rights to ABC. Most of the rest of the Division I-A football programs (what is now called the Division I Football Bowl Subdivision) chose to sell their rights together through an organization called the College Football Association to ABC and CBS. The primary function of the CFA was to negotiate television broadcast rights for its member conferences and independent colleges.

By 1990, the television landscape had changed and a number of the stronger programs saw opportunities for better deals outside of the CFA. Notre Dame left the CFA and sold their home game broadcast rights to NBC. When the Southeastern Conference invited the University of Arkansas and the University of South Carolina to join the conference in 1990, it created shockwaves across the CFA. The other conferences in the CFA correctly assumed the SEC made these additions to create a better TV product with the idea of leaving the CFA.

The SEC represented one of the more valuable assets in the CFA. It seemed likely if the SEC departed, the other conferences could have quite a difficult time securing good TV deals. In February 1994, the Southeastern Conference announced that they would be leaving the CFA and negotiate independently for a television deal that covered SEC schools only. This led The Dallas Morning News to proclaim that "the College Football Association as a television entity is dead". In 1995, the SEC and the Big East broke from the CFA, signing a national deal with CBS. The SEC would earn a staggering $95 million from the deal. More significantly, this change in television contracts ultimately would lead to significant realignment of college conferences.

In 1990, Arkansas announced it would leave for the Southeastern Conference, marking the beginning of the end for the conference. In March 1994, Texas, Texas A&M, Baylor, and Texas Tech accepted invitations to join with the members of the Big Eight Conference to form the Big 12 Conference. Soon afterward, SMU, TCU, and Rice accepted invitations to join the Western Athletic Conference, while Houston became a charter member of Conference USA. In May 1996, after the completion of championship matches in baseball and track & field, the Southwest Conference was officially dissolved.

Over the course of its 82-year history, teams of the Southwest Conference garnered 64 recognized national championships in collegiate sports. In 1997, the official records of the conference from 1914 to 1996 were moved from Dallas to the campus of Texas Tech University, becoming part of the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library. The archive also contains an extensive assortment of images and memorabilia from each member university.

On July 1, 2071, at a special Big 12 meeting at SMU's Collins Center, where the Mustang football team's 1987 death penalty was announced, the greatest news to hit Texas in decades was broadcast by all the major networks. "I would like to finally announce," said Big XII commissioner H. Jacob "Jake" Crawford, a former Mitakihara Magi right end and Houston Texan from kella, Tex., "that after more than seven decades, in 2072, the Southwest Conference will return!" The reborn Southwest Conference will begin play in 2072 and replace the Big 12. Current members of the Big XII that were not members of the old Southwest Conference have applied for membership in other conferences in Division I FBS. The headquarters of the Southwest Conference will be in the same place as the soon-to-be-defunct Big 12: Irving, Tex.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

"Tell Me Something I Don't Know, You Tryhards": Tatsuya Kaname

By Enju Aihara
The Daily Magi
September 26, 2071

Quarterback Russ Opare passed for 137 yards and a touchdown and ran for 378 yards and two more scores as Tatsuya Kaname's No. 1 ranked Mitakihara Magi routed the No. 2 ranked South Carolina Gamecocks, 97-24, at WIlliams-Brice Stadium in Columbia, S.C. Halfback Kodoka Onodera ran for 258 yards and four touchdowns while halfback Drew Childs ran for 123 yards and four more scores. After the game was over, Coach Kaname gave his thoughts on the game.

"One of the most enduring weaknesses regarding our team is that of our pass defense," Coacnh Kaname said. "We gave up 639 passing yards despite allowing just two passing touchdowns. The reason why we have been allowing so many passing yards lie in a number of factors. First, by rule we get off to a fast start against our opponents. This means they have to catch up to us by going to the air. Running the ball becomes less of a convenient option if you have to chase the game. Secondly, we schedule really good opponents that have NFL-ready receivers on their teams. The really good receivers I've seen hang 300 or 400 receiving yards before we knock them out of the game.

"Finally, the teams we face feature competent offensive lines, allowing their quarterback time to throw. You saw that with the long pass from [South Carolina QB Eugene] Holly to their guy [J.J.] Wiley, who is actually a quarterback on their team. I can understand why Coach Tsuchi [Magi defensive coordinator Harutora Tsuchimikado] slammed down his headset after that long pass, which was his only catch of the game. Wiley's not a pure receiver, and we were bringing the blitz and we got to Holly, but he still pulled off the completion. I really think Holly is going to be playing in the NFL. He has the skills to pull off big plays while under pressure and that was the best I saw from him.

"What I have an issue with is that you members of the media, you hacks posing as legit journalists, make this issue regarding our pass defense worse than it really is. Yes, we give up so much passing yards. Yes, opposing quarterback have set records against us. But I've coached this game for six decades straight. Tell me something I don't know, you tryhards.

"You see, for years, we've made up for our inability to reduce passing yardage in droves by forcing turnovers in droves. We've had the best turnover ratio in college football for six decades. Giving up passing yards is the least of our issues. The real issue is points, and opponents can throw 1,000 passing yards at us and still get blown apart. That's because our run game and run defense blows all others out of the water. I hope you neophytes in the press were paying attention to what I just said, because I'm not going to repeat myself again."

Mitakihara improve to 5-0 and open up their home stand next week against Oklahoma in Homecoming 2071.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

Mitakihara Homecoming 2071: That 70's Homecoming

By Enju Aihara

The Daily Magi
September 28, 2071

Homecoming Week has been a tradition at Mitakihara University for six decades, with the first edition taking place in 2011. Now, the University is proud to host the 61st edition of its fall showpiece event. This year's theme is "That 70's Homecoming." The Homecoming Chair this year is Saki Komura, a freshman English major from Tokyo, Japan and the fiancee of freshman left end Kazuki S. Biyik.

"I read about the 1970s from the numerous archives at Aoi Yuuki Library," said Komura at a promotional event at Madoka Square. "The 1970's were a turbulent time for the world, but the fashion and social trends during that era were very progressive and lot of the styles of that era are part of the current era here. It was so fascinating to check out everything that went on a century ago.

"This year, we're celebrating the 1970s by going with the theme of that era. We're encouraging students, fans and alumni to embrace a little nostalgia this year so that we kick off the 2070s in style. This is also the first time in a decade that we're hosting the Homecoming Game at Mitakihara Stadium, since the Sakura Bowl is going through expansion and cannot be used. It's nice to do a little rewind times too at this event because it shows you that we do have a long history here at Mitakihara University. Even better...the Homecoming Game is held on the university's birthday!"

A number of other events will also take place leading up to the Homecoming Game against the Oklahoma Sooners on October 3, 2071 at 12:30 p.m. PT/3:30 p.m. ET. The game will be televised globally in English, French and Japanese by Radio Madoka in HDTV and on mobile via the Madoka Online app.

The Schedule is as follows:
(all times in PT)

Tuesday, September 29

8:00 a.m. - Morning Prayers to Madoka - Madoka Cathedral Chapel
Speaker: Archbishop Ronald Dean Clegg
Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Vancouver

12 p.m. - Homecoming Registration Opens - Kaname Hall (Administration Building)
Registered participants must check in here for their Passport and vouchers for the Saturday Homecoming Barbecue at Mitakihara Stadium Parking Lot.

All Day - Museums: Spend the afternoon visiting one of the Mitakihara Museums. Admission is free with your Homecoming Passport.
* Nissin Museum of Ramen, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
* Hayao Miyazaki Museum of Art 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., miyazaki.madoka.ca
* Mitakihara Museum of Puella Magi, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
-Museums open all day Wednesday, Thursday Friday and Saturday

Madoka Garden: Find your peace of mind visiting the Madoka Garden, located next to the Madoka Cathedral Chapel. Admission is free with your Homecoming Passport. Open 6 a.m. to sunset, all week.

Libraries: Admission is free at the following locations with your Homecoming Passport:
* Yuuki Library, 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
* Saito Library 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Special Exhibit at Saito Library: A History Of The 1970s.
For more information, please visit the Saito Library website.
Libraries open all day Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday

1 p.m. Classes: Participants are invited to sit in on a variety of undergraduate classes:
Classes TBA, see University Web Site

2 p.m. and 3 p.m. - Mizuhashi Library Tours
Take a guided tour of the Mizuhashi Library at the Mitakihara School of Graduate Studies. Tours will meet at the reception area inside the front door and will leave at 2:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. Space on each tour is limited.

3 p.m. - Open band practice
Mitakihara Director of Bands, Dr. Francine Tremblay, holds a special band practice with members of the Marching Ultimates, the university's marching band.

3:30 p.m. Campus tours led by The Homulilly Society/La Societe Homulille
The Homulilly Society/La Societe Homulille is the premiere student-run organization that is dedicated to serving the Mitakihara University community and is owned and operated by the Mitakihara Associated Students. Tours are conducted in English, French and Japanese.
1. Mitakihara General Tour
2. Beyond The Campus: A Tour of Madoka Square, The Dorms and More
3. Touring the Madoka Garden: Something for Everybody
(also will take place on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday)

4:30 p.m. Campus tours led by The Homulilly Society/La Societe Homulille
1. Mitakihara Athletic Facilities
2. Madoka Architecture: Always Bold, Always Beautiful - The Legacy
3. Madoka Garden Tea Ceremony (refreshments provided)
(also will take place on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday)

5 p.m. - Nonaka House Association's Harley Davidson Postmeridie Lecture and Award
Honoring the descendants of British Columbia Vietnam War veterans. Accepting the award: Ernest Frazier, President of Vietnam Veterans in Canada
Presentation of Award, Hozuki Ferrari, Vice-Chancellor of Mitakihara University, Tsukino Centre (Doors open at 4:30.)

Wednesday, September 30
9 a.m.- 3 p.m. - Homecoming Registration - Kaname Hall (Administration Building)
Registered participants must check in here for their Passport and vouchers for the Saturday Homecoming Barbecue at Mitakihara Stadium Parking Lot.

5 p.m. - Mitakihara University Glee Club Concert
Tickets required: $60 for adults, $45 for students and $35 for seniors. Tickets can be purchased directly through the Mitakihara Box Office by phone at (250) 4MADOKA or online at the box office website.

Thursday, October 1
9 a.m.- 3 p.m. - Homecoming Registration - Kaname Hall (Administration Building)
Registered participants must check in here for their Passport and vouchers for the Saturday Homecoming Barbecue at Mitakihara Stadium Parking Lot

5 p.m. - Men's Water Polo vs. Long Beach State
The Amagami Campus Pool

7 p.m. - Mitakihara University Rugby vs. Korea Men's National Team
Battle for the Arrow Of Light, Sakura Bowl Stadium. Tickets required: $70 for adults, $50 for students and $30 for seniors. Tickets can be purchased directly through the Mitakihara Box Office by phone at (250) 4MADOKA or online at the box office website.

7 p.m. - Battle of the Bands, Tsukino Centre
Tickets required: $70 for adults, $50 for students and $35 for seniors. Tickets can be purchased directly through the Mitakihara Box Office by phone at (250) 4MADOKA or online at the box office website.

7 p.m. - Men's Handball vs. Arizona
Urobuchi Fieldhouse, Akagi Court

7:30 p.m. - Sprint Football vs. Penn
Tatsuya Kaname Field at Mitakihara Stadium

Friday, October 2

5 p.m. - Women's Volleyball vs. British Columbia
Battle for the Cup of Life. Exhibition, Anderson Court, Marisa Kirisame Pyramid

Approx. 8 p.m. - Pep Rally at Anderson Court, Marisa Kirisame Pyramid
Following the Women's Volleyball game vs. British Columbia, the 2071 Mitakihara Magi Football Team will be introduced. Speeches by head coach Tatsuya Kaname, offensive team captain B.J. Inkoom, defensive team captain Henry Waris, athletic director Ritsu Kawai and university chancellor Honoka Kaname will be made.

9 p.m. - Evening activities
Visit the Inu Daruma Pub or your favorite restaurant at the Campus.
The Meeting: Special gathering for Roseluck Arrow Boosters and Men About Town at McGann's, cash bar @ 9:00 p.m.

Saturday, October 3
5:00 - 9:00 a.m. - Breakfast at the Dorms - Passport holders are invited to enjoy a hot breakfast at the dorm of their choice. Pay at the door (cash please), cost is $15 per person.

7 a.m. - Morning Prayers to Madoka - Madoka Cathedral Chapel
Speaker: Cardinal Peter Kazuto Hatanaka
Roman Cathoic Archdiocese of Mitakihara

7 a.m. to 8 p.m. - Homecoming Headquarters and Registration- Rei Ayanami Field

9 a.m. Men's Soccer vs. Indiana
Hirasawa Field

10 a.m. Women's field hockey vs. Maine
Rei Ayanami Field

12 p.m. Women's Soccer vs. San Francisco
Hirasawa Field

10 a.m. to kickoff Pre-Game Tailgate at Athletics
Pack a picnic and set up a tailgate with your friends prior to the Mitakihara-OKlahoma football game. The Madoka Tailgate Area will be located inside Mitakihara Stadium Gate 13. Cars can park here for $50, payable on-side. Tailgate is permitted for 2 hours prior to kickoff and for one hour following the game.

12:30 p.m. Football Kick-Off
Cheer on the Mitakihara Magi as they take on the Oklahoma Sooners. A block of tickets for Madoka Homecoming is currently reserved through the Mitakihara Athletic Ticket Office. Tickets are required and cost $50 each, children ages 12 and under are free. Tickets can be purchased directly through the Mitakihara Box Office by phone at (250) 4MADOKA or online at the box office website.

11 a.m. - 4th quarter - Homecoming Barbecue
Barbecue in the Mitakihara Stadium Parking Lot, Gates 7-9. A voucher for the "Ika's BBQ Fan Zone" is included in your Homecoming registration price. Please be sure to check-in at the Homecoming registration desk to receive your meal ticket. Drinks will be sold separately on-site. A variety of family a children's activities will be offered in the "Fan Zone," including face painting, music, sports games, prizes and raffles.

8 p.m. Women's Ice Hockey vs. McGill
Battle for the Sis Puella Magica Cup. Exhibition game, MetroTech Shanarena

8 p.m. - A Symphony Dedicated To The 1970s
Presented by the Mitakihara University Philharmonic (MadoPhil), Tsukino Centre.
Ticket Required: Regular: $60.00, $50.00, $40.00;
Students: $40.00, $35.00, $30.00; Seniors (65+): $30.00,
$25.00, $20.00.
Tickets can be purchased directly through the Mitakihara Box Office by phone at (250) 4MADOKA or online at the box office website.

Sunday, October 4
9 a.m. - Mitakihara 10K Run/Walk for Life
Get ready to put on your running or walking shoes and take a cruise around the different places on campus and in Mitakihara. The route starts at Magia Quad and will weave around the city before ending at Madoka Square. Registration is $80.00 ($50.00 for students with ID, $30 for seniors) at the Magia Quad tent from 6 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. All proceeds benefit the BC Cancer Foundation. Refreshments and medals will be provided at finish line.

Last edited:

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

Mitakihara roll past Oklahoma, 97-34, on Homecoming

By Enju Aihara
The Daily Magi
October 3, 2071

Quarterback Russ Opare passed for 226 yards and touchdown and backup B.J. Inkoom passed for 93 yards and two more majors as Tatsuya Kaname's Mitakihara Magi mowed down the Oklahoma Sooners, 97-34, on Homecoming 2071 at Mitakihara Stadium in Mitakihara Town, B.C. Halfback Kodaka Onodera ran for 139 yards and three scores, halfback Drew Childs ran for 81 yards, fullback Corey Addy ran for 91 yards and a score and halfback Shannon Wright rushed for 41 yards and two majors.

Wide receiver Larry Igiebor caught six passes for 102 yards, wideout Marcus Mba caught threee passes for 78 yards and a touchdown and wideout Joel Bracken caught two passes for 43 yards and a score. Left guard William Carter led the blockers with 16 pancakes, right guard Mitch Zango had 14 pancakes, left guard Charles Sumaila had 12 pancakes and left tackle Mario Washington had 10 pancakes.

Right outside linebacker Josiah Cofie led the defense in tackling with 12 tackles, while defensive tackle Gabriel Takatori Idir had nine tackles and two sacks. Middle linebacker Ernest Macklin and free safety Jack Arashi each had an interception returned for a touchdown and right outside linebacker Clint Howell blocked a punt for a safety. On special teams, fullback Isaac Nwofor returned a kickoff 60 yards for a touchdown while tight end Kyle Adema returned a kickoff 83 yards for a score.

Mitakihara improve to 6-0 and return to action next week against the Army Black Knights.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

The mystique of persillade

By Enju Aihara

The Daily Magi
October 5, 2071

Persillade (French pronunciation: [pɛʁsijad]) is a sauce or seasoning mixture of parsley (French: persil) chopped together with seasonings including garlic, herbs, oil, and vinegar. In its simplest form, just parsley and garlic, it is a common ingredient in many dishes, part of a sauté cook's mise en place. If added early in cooking, it becomes mellow; but when it is added at the end of cooking or as a garnish, it provides a garlicky jolt. It is extensively used in French and Greek cuisines, as well as in Cajun, Louisiana Creole, and Québécois cuisines.

A classic French and Quebec bistro dish is Pommes Persillade, cubed potatoes fried in a small amount of oil, with persillade added at the end of the cooking, and can sometimes be combined with Quebec poutine to produce a hybrid dish called poutine persillade. Persillade is also popular in Louisiana; New Orleans chef Austin Leslie's signature dish was Fried Chicken with Persillade.

The simplicity of the basic combination invites variations, either by adding other ingredients or substituting other herbs, such as bay leaf, oregano, basil or tarragon, for the parsley. Combined with bread crumbs, it is used as crust for roasted veal or lamb chops. The addition of lemon zest creates gremolata, a traditional garnish for braised lamb shanks. Anchovy is a common addition in Provençal cooking. A small amount of olive oil is often added to persillade to make it easier to work with.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

The mystique of chimichurri

By Enju Aihara

The Daily Magi
October 6, 2071

Chimichurri (Spanish pronunciation: [tʃimiˈtʃuri]) or chimmichurri is a green sauce used for grilled meat, originally from Argentina. It is based on finely-chopped parsley, minced garlic, olive oil, oregano, and white or red wine vinegar. The origin of the name of the sauce is unclear. The word chimichurri or chirriburri is attested in 1783 as a person's nickname, but not connected to a sauce.

There are various stories explaining the name as a corruption of English words, most commonly the name 'Jimmy Curry' or 'Jimmy McCurry'. But there is no contemporary documentation of any of these stories. The Argentine gourmet Miguel Brascó claims that the word chimichurri originated when the British were captured after the British invasions of the Río de la Plata. The prisoners asked for condiment for their food mixing English, aboriginal and Spanish words. According to this story, che-mi-curry stands for "che mi salsa" (a rough translation is hey give me condiment or give me curry). The word then corrupted to chimichurri.

Chimichurri is made from finely chopped parsley, minced garlic, olive oil, oregano, and white or red wine vinegar. Additional flavorings such as paprika, cumin, thyme, lemon, basil, cilantro and bay leaf may be included. In its red version, tomato and red bell pepper may also be added. It can also be used as a marinade for grilled meat. Chimichurri is available bottled or dehydrated for preparation by mixing with oil and water. Variants may substitute herbs such as cilantro, culantro, shiso etc. for the parsley.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

Nyaruko Yasaka, the grandmother of future Mitakihara Magi quarterback Mikoto Yasaka.

Mikoto Yasaka ready to shine in 2072 for Madoka

By Enju Aihara

The Daily Magi
October 7, 2071

One of the five five-star recruits that Mitakihara Magi head football coach Tatsuya Kaname signed following the Magi's Homecoming victory over the Oklahoma Sooners was quarterback Mikoto Yasaka, the son of former Mitakihara Magi receiver and current sprint football receivers coach Makoto Yasaka. Mikoto also plays wide receiver for Johnny Landry's Mitakihara Angels, the best high school football team in the province and one of the premier programs in the country. However, he is mostly used as a quarterback.

"Dad's been telling me to be a winner, to be a champion, to play for the only school in Canada that plays Division I FBS Football," said Yasaka via interview at Mitakihara Secondary. "Can you believe that? My dad, my granddad, and Grandma Nyaruko all attended Madoka. So I'm keeping the streak alive by signing with the Magi. I know Dad played receiver and he's a coach and I actually wanted to play wide receiver for the sprint football team, but I wouldn't get a scholarship and I needed to be 175 or lighter, so I decided to play quarterback instead.

"I like Coach Kaname's offense. It allows me to be the leader, because first of all, I have to decided whether to keep the ball, or pitch it to the halfback or give it to the fullback. I can also throw the ball if necessary and I got a good, strong arm. I run track and I also do triple jump at my school. I won a few medals with the track team and I could have been competing at the Olympics in Toronto next year, but since I'm a football player, I could never be an Olympian, at least not yet. But I'm athletic, and the Puella Magi Option needs athletic quarterbacks.

"I do very well in school, yeah. I get A+ grades on my exams; I get a few occasional B grades but I never got a C or worse because Dad's telling me that Madoka's a very competitive school. It's more competitive than any other university in Canada. It is the most competitive to get in. I got in by getting a scholarship and committing. As for some of my other classmates? Man, they have to go through exams, essays, recommendations, all that stuff because it's a really tough school to get in. They're very selective and it's been hell for some of my classmates.

"But I got a lot of former classmates already on the team, like Jack [Arashi] and Da Man [Daniel Manatsu] and I got a few others in my third-year class joining me at the university next year like [cornerback] Takumu [Harudori]; [wide receiver] Kosuke [Inukai], who is my favorite receiving target; Lukasz Saarinen, who is the younger brother of Lucca Saarinen, a former graduate of Madoka and a good friend of mine, and Kirito [Hattori], who is the son of Kiriko Hattori, who is a librarian on campus and another Madoka grad. We come from families that got their education at Mitakihara University and we're keeping the tradition alive.

"There's gonna be a lot of quarterbacks that will be leaving the school after this season, and I want to be the starter and get my feet wet. I'm very confident that I can contribute to next year and Grandma Nyaruko is telling me that I probably will get the job but I need to earn it. I know nothing is going to be given to me and I need to earn my starting job. But I've had to work hard to get to where I am and this is going to be more of the same. I like pressure and my Dad played under pressure when he was a player here. I'm gonna make my family proud and help Madoka win another national championship. That's how we do things."

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

Mitakihara to schedule Kwansei Gakuin for Homecoming 2072

By Enju Aihara

The Daily Magi
October 8, 2071

Mitakihara University is set to make history as the first school in Canada and the first school in NCAA history to schedule a team from Japan in a game that will count toward both teams' respective standings. Thanks to an agreement with the NCAA and the Japan American Football Association (JAFA), the Magi will take on the Kwansei Gakuin Fighters on Homecoming 2072 at the newly-renovated Sakura Bowl Stadium in October 2072. Upon announcement of the game, the event was announced a sellout after one hour.

Kwansei Gakuin University (関西学院大学 Kansei Gakuin Daigaku), colloquially abbreviated to Kangaku (関学), is a non-denominational Christian private and coeducational university located in Nishinomiya, Sanda, Osaka City, and Tokyo, Japan. Chartered in 1932, it is the 13th institution with university status in Kansai region, the 23rd-oldest outside of Greater Tokyo, and the 46th-oldest in the country. Kwansei Gakuin University is one of oldest and leading private universities in Japan. It has relatively strong network of alumni in the Kansai region and has produced a number of CEOs in Japanese companies and politicians.

Kwansei Gakuin has one of the most diverse varsity athletic programs in Japan, and its 34 varsity teams that compete in regional collegiate leagues. Although the school, unlike other private universities in the country, does not offer specific scholarships for student-athletes, it is still competitive with the top echelon of Japanese collegiate teams in the sports of American football, basketball, lacrosse and soccer. KG is currently best known for its American football team, known as the Fighters, dominating the Division I League of Kansai Collegiate American Football Association with a total of 80 league titles, 60 national collegiate titles, and the last 30 national championships. Kwansei Gakuin, Kyoto and Ritsumeikan have battled for American football dominance in the league for the last 90 years.

"This is not an exhibition; it's a regular season game, and we're gonna treat it as such," said Coach Kaname at a press conference at Hakurei Centre. "We have the best college football team in all of Japan, or rather, the best football team in Japan coming to our shores on what probably will be my final Homecoming. We could have scheduled Colorado for next year, but they refused to accept our offer. It would have been nice to schedule the Buffaloes as my final Homecoming opponent, as they were my first Homecoming opponent.

"However, I got a call last week from Tsuji Ikari, who is the current head coach of the Fighters. He played for us back in the late 30s as a halfback and he's been the coach of the Fighters for the last two decades. Tsuji asked me if I could schedule his team for Homecoming. During Homecoming Week, I had discussions with Tsuji and Shota Nandaba, who I hadn't spoke to in three decades. The last time I talked to him was when he was in the hospital after my team knocked him out for the season as a player. Shota is now the athletic director at Kangaku. He's been at the post for 10 years. So I talked with the two of them and [Mitakihara athletic director] Ritsu [Kawai] about arranging a game for next year.

"Shota's already told me that he's working with the JAFA and Kansai Collegiate American Football Association (KCAFA) to finalize the details, and after the Homecoming Game, everything was finalized. The game will take place on Week 6 of next year at the Sakura Bowl, and it will be an exciting game to watch. This matchup between Japan and North America's best college football teams will blow all East vs. West showdowns out of the water. I know this is already a sellout and the players who will be coming back next year are excited to play a Japanese team for the first time in their lives. It's going to be a lot of fun."

This game will be sponsored by the NCAA, the JAFA, the KCAFA and by Aniplex, an ongoing sponsor of Mitakihara University Athletics. In addition, the theme name has already been named: "Honoring A Legend," to pay tribute to Tatsuya Kaname and his contributions to the sport of American football for the last six decades. October 1, 2072 is the provisional set date for the game, although this is subject to change. This game will be broadcast by Radio Madoka, One World Sports and NHK.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

Mitakihara rumble past Army, 80-25

By Enju Aihara
The Daily Magi
October 10, 2071

Quarterback Russ Opare passed for 268 yards and two touchdowns and halfback Drew Childs ran for 246 yards and five more scores as Tatsuya Kaname's Mitakihara Magi cruised past the Army Black Knights, 80-25, at Mitakihara Stadium in Mitakihara Town. B.C. Halfback Kodaka Onodera ran for 182 yards and three touchdowns and fullback Corey Addy ran for 95 yards to pace a strong rushing attack for the Magi.

Wide receiver Marcus Mba caught six passes for 82 yards, wideout Larry Igiebor caught five passes for 80 yards, wideout Will Atsu caught four passes for 50 yards and a touchdown and Onodera also caught a pass for a score. Right guard Mitch Zango led the blockers with 25 pancakes, left tacxkle Mario Washington had 18 pancakes and left guard William Carter had 15 pancakes. Middle linebacker Ernest Macklin led the defense in tackling with nine tackles while cornerback Henry Waris had eight tackles and a sack.

"This was one of the quieter performances from our defense but I elected to give the defense a free pass today because our offense was so dominant on the field," said Coach Kaname after the game. "Today, the players on offense used a conservative attack that wore our Army defense as the match progressed. We have a long ways to go but don't be surprised if we stick to this in our next games."

Mitakihara improve to 7-0 and host the Kentucky Wildcats next week.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

The Mystique of 12 (Vancouver) Service Company

By Enju Aihara
The Daily Magi
October 13, 2071

12 (Vancouver) Service Company (12 Svc Coy) is a Canadian Army Primary Reserve combat service support unit of the Canadian Forces that can fight in a defensive role and provides logistical support to the units within 3rd Canadian Division's 39 Canadian Brigade Group, which consists of all Primary Reserve units in British Columbia.

No. 12 (Vancouver) Service Battalion was created on 15 February 1965 and received royal assent in June 1977. Originally, the battalion was based at the North Jericho Complex and was named Vancouver Militia Service Battalion. In 1971, the battalion was reassigned to the South Jericho Complex. In 1974, changes to Militia service battalions of the Canadian Forces occurred and then led to the change in the battalion's name from Vancouver Militia Service Battalion to the current title, 12 (Vancouver) Service Battalion. On 10 April 1988, 12 (Vancouver) Service Battalion moved for the final time, from the South Jericho Complex to the current location where the battalion is headquartered, the Colonel Sherman Armoury in Richmond, British Columbia. On 8 March 1993, the City of Richmond awarded 12 (Vancouver) Service Battalion with freedom of the city and then on 17 April 1993, 12 (Vancouver) Service Battalion marched "through the city streets with drums beating, flags flying, and bayonets fixed."

In 2010, the two Service Battalions within 39 CBG, 11 (Victoria) Service Battalion and 12 (Vancouver) Service Battalion, were amalgamated and changed to companies. The two units now make up two companies of 39 Service Battalion. As a result, 11 (Victoria) Service Battalion was renamed: 11 (Victoria) Service Company, and 12 (Vancouver) Service Battalion was renamed: 12 (Vancouver) Service Company. The Armoury was used as a communications operations base for the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympic Games.

12 Military Police Platoon (12 MP Pl) is not attached to 12 Svc Coy, but works within the same armoury. It is part of 15 Military Police Company (15 MP Coy), 1 Military Police Regiment (1 MP Regt). The platoon has two sections located in Richmond, British Columbia and one section located in Victoria, British Columbia. The role of the Primary Reserve Military Police is to augment the Regular Force. Their role is less comprehensive than that of Regular Force Military Police and includes the provision to the Department of National Defence of security and custodial services in both operational and non-operational theatres and on CF establishments; the protection of personnel, information and material against subversion, sabotage, espionage, terrorism and other forms of threat, the enforcement of discipline, the control and documentation of prisoners of war, NBC monitoring and traffic control in support of field operations.

Last edited: