• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Hachiko's Mitakihara Magi Dynasty

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
madokamagibanner23.png

This is the story of the powerhouse, the one team that ruled North America for...decades? Yes, that one. It's the story of the Mitakihara Magi football team and it's here on Nutopia. The Rose, Pink and White is here.

Since this dynasty is reaching maturity, I decided to do a little review of where we are with this thing. As of this post, it's in the 2062 season, and this dynasty started in 2011. That means this dynasty is two years old! Whoa. So, let's give you a rundown of this dynasty. This thread begins in the 2062 season and will conclude in 2072, if all goes as planned.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Vast majority of Mitakihara students confess to making love in the nude

By Anna Hendrix
The Daily Magi
January 12, 2062

A recent survey by the Province Newspaper discovered that a clear majority of Mitakihara University students are sexually active and are either engaged or married legally. As Canada is one of the first countries that legalizes same-sex marriage, tolerance for the LGBT community is strong and encouraged.

The survey shows that 90% of Madoka students have engaged in sexual activity. 85% have engaged in sexual activity in the nude at least once per month. 56% indicate that they engage in foreplay at least three times per week, and 53% mention that sex is used as a physical exercise not only to stimulate the libido, but also mind and body. 46% of couples enrolled at Mitakihara are lesbians, 33% are straight couples, 20% are gay couples, and the remaining percentage are either transgender or "Decline to State."

So why is it that Mitakihara has earned a reputation as one of the most virile, LGBT-friendly universities in terms of sex? Almost all students point to one of the legacies of the founder.

"When they were 14, Dr. [Madoka] Kaname and Dr. [Homura] Akemi, who are my aunt and mother, respectively, consummated in the nude to declare their commitment to each other," said current Mitakihara University Chancellor-elect Honoka Kaname, the daughter of Dr. Akemi and Mitakihara football head coach Tatsuya Kaname. "In those days, they didn't have any shame in declaring their love for one another with nothing on. When students in the early days of the university learned about this story, which has now become a legend in its own right, the proliferation of safe sex became rampant.

"Our university has a policy in the Honor Code called the Love Clause. It states this: 'A couple that attends this university must be tested to ensure there are no diseases that may jeopardize their relationship or otherwise force them to adopt children if they wish to start a family. Furthermore, a couple, irrespective of orientation, must be committed to its own well-being, and that adulterous relationships are strongly discouraged. If an adulterous relationship takes place, it is the duties of all parties to reconcile and keep the family bonds stronger than steel. Any relationship that ends in violence can be punished to the full extent of the law and is grounds for dismissal.'

"Basically, it says that you have to be smart with who you choose to love and don't cheat on your partner because we don't want a broken relationship to end in violence. We drafted that years ago because quite frankly, the whole community was sick and tired of the drama that the media makes its money off of, and it wants none of it. I'm proud to say that those types of situations don't happen all that often out here because struggling couples utlize our counseling services to get their relationships back on track.

"I want people to fall in love for the right reason, not just because they are obligated. You can't manufacture such feelings. Love comes from within, and I think our students know it and they are free to express it with those who they treasure the most."

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

"A Place Where I Call Home. I Know. I Believe": Cojuangco

By Anna Hendrix
The Daily Magi
January 16, 2062

The morning glow raises its bright head upon the sakura-filled skies and skyscrapers of Mitakihara Town, British Columbia, now the second-largest city in Canada behind Toronto and the largest in the province. The city streets are paved with cherry blossoms petals meshed in with fresh snow from a recent flurry via the Inside Passage in Alaska. The outdoor skating rinks are full of tourists and regulars who fancy a little exercise, and the sport shops are full of Vancouver Canucks logo merchandise and Mitakihara Town Sports Club apparel. Fresh mochi can be purchased at a number of restaurants for breakfast, and a new type of bun has taken all of Canada hostage: the poutine bun, which is a steamed brown rice flour bun filled with rich, steamy poutine. Young men and women with dreams of making it rich and being successful walk to school carrying suitcases of books and binders to the many primary and secondary schools in the city. At Mitakihara Harbour, the local fish market is bustling with the latest catches of the day, and the ferries are carrying people across the Strait of Georgia to the Lower Mainland, perhaps to head to Vancouver, or eastward to other parts of the country beyond the Rockies via the Trans-Canada Highway.

The statues of Dr. Madoka Kaname and Dr. Homura Akemi in their goddess forms welcom visitors and students at the main entrance of Mitakihara University, a young institution that has grown in leaps and bounds over a short period of time. On campus, the historic MetroTech Shanarena is busy, as it is hockey season. The Puella Magi women's ice hockey team have been given the day off, making way for the Frozen Thunder, the Magi men's ice hockey team, who are under a new coach in Chris Norwood, a former defenseman for the Magi and also for four different NHL teams over a career of 18 years which include three Stanley Cups. The practices are intense, to match the play of a team accustomed to high-intensity play with a bruising, physical touch.

At the morning skate, which is a magnet for interested press members and scouts, an unusual face observes the up-and-down drills on the rink. Despite all of the arguments that no one team is better than the other at Mitakihara, all roads lead to the football team. Quarterback Ricky Cojuangco, known to all as the one and only "Rico Football," likes his ice hockey too. But why? How can a Filipino-Canadian used to playing gridiron fall in love with the sport of ice hockey?

One simple answer: exposure.

"I watched Hockey Night In Canada ever since I was one year old," Cojuangco explained. "My team in the NHL is Vancouver, but I have a soft side for the Canadiens because they still have more Stanley Cups than anyone out there. Last season, the Canucks did win their first Stanley Cup in forever, so I go for Vancouver anyway because they're the home team.

"But our university ice hockey teams are good too. It's a place where I call home. I know. I believe. I like how our students do what the European teams do, and that's sing, chant and jump from start to finish. It's always loud at the Shanarena. You can't even hear yourself. It's great home ice advantage, and the boys lose very few games at the Shanarena. It's that deafening.

"I think our ice hockey teams want to be as good as us. They want to be the stars of the Athletic Department, so there's always an intramurals competition between the football team and other men's teams as to who is more talented all-around. Naturally, we prevail in the end, although the ice hockey guys always say we're cheating or it's rigged. We don't care, we win fair and square, that's all there is to it."

Cojuangco's frequent visits to the Shanarena inspired his band, Kaname Hall, to compose their next album, entitled "Morning Skate." It's a sudden change from their roots as a band that plays OPM music and a chance for them to explore what they are truly capable of as a band.

"Yeah, it's a complete sea change. So we produced the album during our off days, and we finished it this week," said Cojuangco. "There's a lot of hockey-themed songs, as well as some other covers and non-hockey numbers. I think the fans are gonna like what we dish out there. It will also be our first album where the songs are mostly in English. There's a few French songs, too.

"Our favorite track in this album is 'Hunter of Stars,' which is a cover of a song by a Swiss guy named SeBAlter. The original recording didn't look right, so we gave it a ska flavor, reminiscent of Reel Big Fish, a band that friends of my grandparents used to listen to. Funny story about this album: after mixing finished: Dr. Akemi comes in to the studio and compliments us on finishing the album. She listens to it, and she says, 'I'm buying the first 50 copies.' I say to her, 'Just go to your iPad, go to iTunes, and order away, easy. You can buy 500 if you want. It's all cash to us.' Funny situation, that."

"Morning Skate" is out on iTunes for $10.99 CAN.

Track List:

1. Faceoff
2. Check
3. Gretzky
4. Hunter of Stars
5. Something Different
6. The Horn
7. Concession Recession
8. S'il vous plait
9. I Just Can't Smile
10. We'll Win Tonight
11. 16 Games To Freedom
12. 60 Heartbeats
13. She's Your Puck Daddy
14. Tout Le Monde
15. No Hope In Toronto
16. Distance, Further
17. Lift (The Cup)
18. But I Hated Sochi
19. Guerre Des Etoiles (Hunter of Stars)
20. Recess
Bonus Track: The Hockey Song

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Magi Football Coaching Staff (2062)
Head Coach: Tatsuya Kaname
Offensive Coordinator: Darrell Hashida
Quarterbacks: Makoto Naegi
Running Backs: Kohei Miyahara
Receivers: Ryuta Kasugano
Offensive Line: Andrew Coley Farina
Defensive Coordinator: Buntarou Okabe
Defensive Line: Harutora Tsuchimikado
Linebackers: Chance Shinagawa
Secondary: Karuta Kanda
Special Teams: Ronnie Hinchcliffe
Graduate Assistant: Mike Tsvangirai
Recruiting Coordinator: Seara August

Tatsuya Kaname became a Coach Level 54 in 2022. He became a Coach Level 27 in Recruiting in 2019 and a Coach Level 27 in Game Management in 2022.

Magi Sprint Football Coaching Staff (2062)
Head Coach: Jose Collier
Offensive Coordinator: Dominique Wright
Quarterbacks: Sam Tremblay
Running Backs: Mark Perry
Receivers: Makoto Yasaka
Offensive Line: Jack Graves
Defensive Coordinator: Brian Robinson
Defensive Line: Steele Ainsworth
Linebackers: Thomas Pittman
Secondary: Trevon Miller
Special Teams: Yoshino Kousaka
Graduate Assistant: John Yaradua

Team Doctor: Ruiko Saten, M.D.
Athletic Director: Nagisa Momoe

Chancellor: Honoka Kaname
Vice-Chancellor: Hozuki Ferrari
Provosts: Akiho Senomiya (Mitakihara), Chisaki Hiradaira (Leafa College), Satone Shichimiya (Japan Campus), Fernandia Malvezzi (Mitakihara-Squamish)
Visitor: Rt. Hon. Sloane Hudson, Premier of British Columbia

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

Tohka Yatogami, the mother of future Mitakihara Magi left outside linebacker Takuto Shidou Itsuka.

No surprises as Takuto Itsuka commits to Madoka on spot

By Anna Hendrix
The Daily Magi
July 24, 2062

It's as if he knew the in-house visit was coming. One of the finest young outside linebackers to play weakside for the MitSS Angels is ready to make the jump to Tatsuya Kaname's Magi.

"So what happened was this: my mom [Tohka Yatogami] heard the doorbell ring, and at the door was this guy, accompanied by a few cheerleaders in pink and white," said left outside linebacker Takuto Shidou Itsuka via phone interview to the Daily Magi. "Turns out, those cheerleaders were Mitakihara University students. And that was Coach Kaname.

"The guy says to Mom, 'Hello, is Takuto Itsuka here?' Then Mom says, 'Oh my gosh, Coach Kaname? I remember you! I did scouting for you when I was a student! Wow!' She was hugging Coach like crazy, then she says, 'Tak, get the door, it's Coach Kaname!' I head over, and I see Coach Kaname in his trademark trucker hat, sweater vest and khakis, dapper and clean as ever. And his entourage of cheergirls.

"Coach says, 'Hello, Takuto, I'm Coach Tatsuya Kaname of the Mitakihara University Magi football team.' I stop him, saying, 'You don't have to say anything else. I'm signing!' He was like, 'Whoa. Already? I just got here a few minutes ago and you're committing already?' I said, 'Mom told me about you and how she used to work for you as a scout. And you're a cool person. I'm joining the team next year.' He's like, 'Excellent, I guess.' I then said, 'Come on in, I'll go make lunch for you and my soon-to-be...classmates. Mom doesn't know how to cook so I have to teach her.' That triggered some giggles from the girls and a retort from mom. She said, 'How dare you say that!' I then said, 'I'm just kidding. Let's cook something for our guests.'

"What happened afterwards was that I made some BLT sandwiches and Spam musubi for Coach and crepes for the cheergirls. Coach is a big eater, so he finished his share easily. 'We're gonna train you hard next summer so that when late August comes, you'll be ready to put your road warrior skills to the test,' Coach said. He added, 'We start our season with five games on the road and then seven games at home. We're an independent, so we can get away with this setup unless we join a conference.'

"I then asked Coach, 'why don't you want to join a conference?' He said, 'We've played in every conference that exists, including the old Big East and Western Athletic Conferences. We want to play against the best teams in college football because we are known as The Best College Football Team In All of College Football. It's a massive responsibility to bear, but our five decades plus of winning national championships is a testament to that. And the best part is...you get to play a huge role in all this. How about that?'

"I really owe a lot to my mom telling me about Mitakihara University. Actually, I owe a lot to my mom AND dad [Shidou Itsuka] and my aunt Kotori [Itsuka] for telling me about this university and the fine work everybody does there. Shintarou and Dakota [Okabe] are my brothers-in-law and are also being recruited by Coach Kaname. I want them to join me, but it's up to them."

Mitakihara open up the 2062 college football season against the Notre Dame Fighting Irish in a 1 vs. 2 showdown at Notre Dame Stadium in South Bend, Ind.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

The Mystique of Western alienation in Canada

By Anna Hendrix
The Daily Magi
August 10, 2062

In Canadian politics, Western alienation is the notion that the Western provinces – British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba – have been alienated, and in extreme cases excluded, from mainstream Canadian political affairs in favour of the central provinces of Ontario and Quebec. Western alienation claims that these latter two are politically represented, and economically favoured, more significantly than the former, which has given rise to the sentiment of alienation among many western Canadians. Dr. Roger Gibbins, author and former CEO of Canada West Foundation defines western alienation as “a political ideology of regional discontent rooted in the dissatisfaction of western Canadians with their relationship to and representation within the federal government.

One source of western alienation is the distribution of population in Canada. As of 2011, it was estimated that 23.6% and 38.4% of Canadians reside in Quebec and Ontario respectively, for a total of 62 per cent of the national population; on the other hand, 13.1%, 10.9%, 3.6%, 3.1% live in B.C., Alberta, Manitoba and Saskatchewan, 30.7 per cent of the overall population – all together less than half that of Ontario and Quebec. Westerners who feel alienated from the rest of Canada believe that politicians favour areas with larger populations, namely Quebec and Ontario where they can win more seats, and therefore formulate policies that favour them. Such policies may not be directly detrimental to the west, or intentionally discriminatory towards the region, but such perceived "favouritism" can have the effect of alienating the Western Canadians.

Because of this uneven population distribution, Western Canadians are less represented in both the House of Commons and the Senate. While Alberta and B.C. have 607,543 and 733,343 citizens per senator respectively, Quebec and Ontario have 329,292 and 535,493. Because the constitution entitles a province to at least the same number of members of the House of Commons as the province had senators in 1982, some provinces, notably the Maritime Provinces, have more members in the House of Commons than their population would otherwise warrant. The average number of citizens per riding in B.C. and Alberta (124,443 and 132,285 respectively) is somewhat higher than the national average of 109,167. Nonetheless, Ontario also has disproportionately few seats (at 123,767 per citizen) while Manitoba and Saskatchewan have similar levels to the Maritimes.

Another source of Western irritation can be traced to the Quebec sovereignty movement. Many Western Canadians argue that Quebec receives undue attention from the rest of the country due to concerns about its desire to separate from the rest of Canada or obtain sovereignty-association. This has been the case at both domestic and international levels – as evinced by Jean Chrétien's plea to Quebec to vote no in the 1995 Quebec referendum – and at the grassroots level with a pro-Canada demonstration in Montreal attended by thousands of Canadians from across the country. Following the referendum the now infamous sponsorship scandal saw millions of federal dollars being funneled into Quebec in an attempt to bolster Canadian nationalism.

Bloc Québécois (BQ) have nationalist policies and their entry into federal politics in 1991 has further irritated the west, as the party strongly supports policies seen as detrimental to the west including: carbon taxes and other measures specifically aimed at the oil industry; same sex marriage; and the gun registry. During the same sex marriage debate, some Albertan Conservatives suggested that the federal law be amended to make the definition of marriage strictly a provincial issue, believing the Bloc reasonably ought be swayed to support that as opposed to a law compelling the Albertan government to recognize the change.

Economic factors, including equalization payments and other transfer payments, have caused great discontent, especially in Alberta. In 2005, Alberta's share of equalization payments was calculated to be approximately $1.1 billion, less than that provided by, but significantly higher on a per capita basis than, Ontario. Equalization payments are made by the federal government to the six current "have-not" provinces. Unlike social and health transfers, there are no restrictions over how this money is spent at the provincial level. In 2009–2010, Quebec received $8.552 billion, making it the single largest beneficiary, as it has been throughout the program's history. In the 2009–2010 fiscal year, Ontario received an equalization payment of $347 million, the first time in the 51-year history of the program. British Columbia was a "have-not" province for just over five years, ending in 2006–2007, when it received $459 million.

Geographically, the densely populated areas of the four western provinces are separated from Southern Ontario by Northern Ontario, a very sparsely populated region. In particular, Northwestern Ontario borders Manitoba and is almost equal in size to Manitoba, but contains less than one fifth of Manitoba's population. The implications of these facts were recognized as early as the 1880s, when the government of Sir John A. Macdonald attempted to make much of what is now Northwestern Ontario part of Manitoba. Although Macdonald justified this transfer on the basis that it would be easier to administer the region from Winnipeg as opposed to Toronto, Ontario fiercely protested and Macdonald was compelled to back down.

Other than by air, the "all-Canadian" travel links between Eastern and Western Canada are considered poor by modern North American standards. One option is to take The Canadian, a passenger train now operated by Via Rail two or three times weekly depending on the season. By train, it takes roughly 36 hours on average to travel from Winnipeg to Toronto. The only other option by land is to travel on Ontario Highway 17, which is a two lane highway for most of its length. Most Canadians who wish to travel from East to West and/or vice-versa (and for whatever reason are unable or unwilling to fly) reject the all-Canadian routes in favour of travelling through the United States, which is both shorter and less expensive. This preference has persisted even in the face of stricter border controls instituted since the September 11 attacks. Therefore, some commentators have compared the Canadian Shield to an ocean in the way that it physically separates the peoples of Western and Eastern Canada. For the people of Western Canada, this has the potential to create the perception that the West is little more than a colony, ruled from distant Ottawa in much the same way that the British North American colonies were once ruled from distant London.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Mitakihara blitz past Notre Dame, 76-17

By Anna Hendrix
The Daily Magi
August 26, 2062

Tatsuya Kaname's Mitakihara Magi overcame a slow start to crack the Notre Dame Fighting Irish in the second quarter and break the match wide open for a 76-17 rout at Notre Dame Stadium in South Bend, Ind. With starting quarterback Ricky Cojuangco taken out of the game due to injury, backup Rajiv Singh earned 217 yards of total offense to go with three touchdowns.

Halfback Dan Roxas ran for 142 yards and a score, Cojuangco ran for 179 yards and a major, and halfback Billy Shaw ran for 57 yards and three touchdowns. Wide receiver Johnny Muntari led the team in blocking with 19 pancakes while freshman Zac Chabangu added 13 pancakes.

Defensively, cornerback Drew Clottey was stellar with a team-high 15 tackles. Cornerback Greg Essien added 14 tackles and an interceptions returned for a touchdown and fellow cornerback Josh Ravensdale also returned a pick for six. Right outside linebacker Jon Murray led the defense in sacks with three.

"Good start to the season but next week, we face an Alabama team that is hoping to spring an upset on us when we least expect it," Coach Kaname said. "Our boys will be ready for the challenge, though, but overconfidence won't be part of our game plan next week."

Madoka improve to 1-0 on the season and continue their road trip next week against the Alabama Crimson Tide.

Last edited:

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
500px-AmtrakCascadesLogo.svg.png

The mystique of the Amtrak Cascades

By Anna Hendrix
The Daily Magi
August 29, 2062

The Amtrak Cascades is a passenger train route operated by Amtrak in partnership with the Washington State and Oregon Departments of Transportation in the Pacific Northwest and British Columbia. It is named after the Cascade mountain range that the route parallels.

The corridor runs 156 miles (251 km) from Vancouver, British Columbia south to Seattle, Washington, continuing 310 miles (500 km) south via Portland, Oregon to Eugene, Oregon. Two daily trains travel to and from Vancouver, with Seattle or Portland as its starting or ending point; supplemental Thruway Motorcoach service connects travelers from Vancouver, BC to trains heading south from Seattle, as well as providing additional service between Portland and Eugene, and connections to other Amtrak Thruway destinations in Washington and Oregon. The second daily service between Seattle and Vancouver, BC started on August 19, 2009. As of December 2011 four trains run daily between Seattle and Portland, with two of those providing service to Eugene.

Cascades is Amtrak's eighth-busiest route, and it carries the most passengers of any of the railroad's services outside of the Northeastern U.S. or California. Total ridership for 2011 was over 850,000. During FY2011, the service had a total revenue of $30,025,126, an 8.9% increase over FY2010. Farebox recovery for the train has also increased from 48% in 2008 to 72% in 2010.

The Amtrak Cascades route was originally operated as a joint partnership by the Northern Pacific, Great Northern, and Union Pacific prior to the creation of Amtrak in 1971. In 2013 travel times between Seattle and Portland remained the same as they had been in 1966, with the fastest trains making the journey in 3 hours 30 minutes. When Amtrak started operations in 1971 there were three trains running between Seattle and Portland daily and the connection to Vancouver was discontinued by Amtrak. These three trains were unnamed at first, but with the advent of Amtrak's first "official" timetable in November 1971, one became the Coast Starlight (which continued south to Los Angeles), while the other two became the Mount Rainier and Puget Sound.

1972 brought the return of the Vancouver service, with the inauguration of the Pacific International. It always was a small train, though for a time it had one of the most unusual consists in the Amtrak system, carrying one of the few observation cars that Amtrak operated. Amtrak introduced the Seattle–Salt Lake City, Utah Pioneer in 1977. The Pioneer took over one round-trip between Seattle and Portland, arriving in Seattle in the late evening and Portland just before noon. Amtrak eliminated the Puget Sound altogether, and shifted the Mount Rainier's northbound trip to replace it.

The corridor grew in 1980 with the State of Oregon financially subsidizing two daily round trips between Portland and Eugene. Named the Willamette Valley, these trains were discontinued in April 1982. This was on the heels of the Pacific International's discontinuance in September 1981. This left three trains on the Portland-Seattle corridor: the Coast Starlight, the Pioneer and the Mount Rainier. This situation remained unchanged for the next 12 years.

In 1994 Amtrak instituted a six-month trial run of modern Talgo equipment over the Portland-Seattle corridor. Amtrak named this service Northwest Talgo, and announced that it would institute a second, conventional train on the corridor (supplementing the Mount Rainier) once the trial concluded. Regular service began on April 1, 1994. Looking toward the future, Amtrak did an exhibition trip from Vancouver through to Eugene. Amtrak introduced the replacement Mount Adams on October 30. At the same time the state of Oregon and Amtrak agreed to extend the Mount Rainier to Eugene through June 1995, with Oregon paying two-thirds of the $1.5 million subsidy. Vancouver service returned on May 26, 1995, when the Mount Baker International began running between Vancouver and Seattle. The state of Washington leased Talgo equipment similar to the demonstrator from 1994. Amtrak renamed the Mount Rainier the Cascadia in October 1995; the new name reflected the joint Oregon-Washington operations of the train.

A third Seattle-Portland corridor train began in 1998, replacing the discontinued long-distance Pioneer. By spring 1998 all three Seattle-Portland/Eugene trains were using leased Talgo equipment, while the Vancouver train used conventional equipment. Amtrak introduced a temporary Pacific Northwest brand for all four trains, dropping individual names, in preparation for the introduction of new Talgo equipment built in the United States and owned by the state of Washington. Amtrak announced the new Amtrak Cascades brand in the Fall 1998 timetable; the new equipment began operation in December. Amtrak extended a second train to Eugene in late 2000. In 2004 the Rail Plus program began, allowing cross-ticketing between Sound Transit's Sounder commuter rail and Amtrak north from Seattle to Everett.

The corridor has continued to grow in recent years, with another Portland-Seattle train arriving in 2006, and the long-awaited through service between Vancouver and Portland, eliminating the need to transfer in Seattle, beginning in August 2009 as a pilot project to determine whether a train permanently operating on the route would be feasible. With the Canadian federal government requesting Amtrak to pay for border control costs for the second daily train, the train was scheduled to be discontinued on 31 October 2010. However, Washington State and Canadian officials held discussions in an attempt to continue the service, which resulted in the Canadian government waiving the fee permanently. Total ridership for 2059 was 1,556,786, the highest annual ridership since inception of the service in 1993. Ridership declined in 2060 to 1,350,968 but rose in fiscal year 2061 to 1,459,895 riders.​

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Alabama fall to the Madoka Magi, 104-31

By Anna Hendrix
The Daily Magi
September 2, 2062

Quarterback Ricky Cojuangco only passed for 101 yards, but he did the damage with his legs, rushing for 314 yards and four touchdowns as Tatsuya Kaname's Mitakihara Magi overpowered the Alabama Crimson Tide, 104-31 at Bryant-Denny Stadium in Tuscaloosa, Ala.

Halfback Dan Roxas ran for 188 yards and a touchdown, halfback Bryan Shaw ran for 82 yards and two scores, fullback Shabba Tshabalala rushd for 189 yards and two more majors and halfback Joseph Annan had a couple of touchdown runs. Madoka's leading recriver was freshman Jason Saka, with two catches for 43 yards.

Wide receivers Johnny Muntari and Zac Chabangu led the blockers of the Magi with 16 pancakes apiece. Strong safety Richard Aquino led the defense in tackling with 14 tackles. Three different players on defense had 10 tackles each, including cornerback Josh Ravensdale, who returned an interception 63 yards for a touchdown. Cornerback Terry Utley and defensive tackle Xavier Mpong also had a defensive touchdown in the rout.

Mitakihara improve to 2-0 and continue their road trip next week against the Texas A&M Aggies.

Last edited:

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

The Mystique of the M/V Coho

By Anna Hendrix
The Daily Magi
September 5, 2062

The M/V Coho is a passenger and vehicle ferry owned and operated by Black Ball Line. Black Ball's only ferry, the Coho carries passengers and cars, trucks, semi-trailers, bicycles, etc. between Victoria, British Columbia, Canada and Port Angeles, Washington, United States.

The Coho makes between two and four round trips from Port Angeles to Victoria daily, with each crossing taking about 90 minutes and covering 23 miles (20 nautical miles or 37 kilometers). The peak summer season has the most trips per day and the winter season the fewest.

The Coho was designed by Philip F. Spaulding & Associates, of Seattle and is named after the coho salmon commonly found in the Pacific Northwest. The Coho was the first large vessel built on the West Coast in 20 years solely with private financing. The vessel was built by Puget Sound Bridge & Dry Dock in Seattle, Washington and made her first sailing to Victoria B.C. on December 29, 1959. She was originally powered by two Cooper-Bessemer diesel engines rated at 2,080 bhp (1,550 kW) each. In 2004 she was refitted with two V-12 Electro-Motive Division (EMD)12-645F7B diesels rated at 2,550 hp (1,900 kW) each. Coho has twin 8-foot (2.44 m) stainless propellers with twin rudders. Her overall length is 341.5 feet (104.1 m) with a service speed of 15 knots (28 km/h; 17 mph). The ship's vehicle clearance is 14 feet (4.27 m) with a carrying capacity of 110 vehicles and up to 1,000 passengers.

The design of the Coho was the basis for that of BC Ferries' first two ships, the Sidney class Queen of Sidney and Queen of Tsawwassen.

The Coho made news on December 14, 1999, when Ahmed Ressam was arrested by border authorities in Port Angeles after he attempted to enter the United States via Victoria on the Coho with home-made explosives and timing devices hidden in his car. He admitted he and accomplices had planned to bomb Los Angeles International Airport on New Year's Eve, 1999.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Madoka drive through rainstorm to bounce Texas A&M

By Anna Hendrix
The Daily Magi
September 9, 2062

Dual-threat quarterbacks are a must when running the Puella Magi Option, and no one is running this spread-flex attack quite like Mitakihara Magi quarterback Ricky Cojuangco. He passed for 266 yards and four touchdowns and then ran for 118 yards and two more scores to give Tatsuya Kaname's Magi a decisive 108-24 victory over the Texas A&M Aggies at Kyle Field in College Station, Tex. in a pouring rainstorm.

Halfback Dan Roxas ran for 201 yards and theee touchdowns, halfback Billy Shaw ran for 145 yards and a major, tight end Jonathan Newell caught two passes for 74 yards and two scores and wide receiver Johnny Muntari caught two passes for 86 yards and a touchdown. Shaw led the blockers with nine pancakes while Muntari added six.

Middle linebacker Jeremy Ogboshogo, this year's defensive captain for the Magi, led the tacklers on defense with 15 tackles and two sacks. Left end Jevon Pace had eight tackles, six sacks, a forced fumble and a recovered fumble. Four different players on defense had an interceptions apiece and three other players on defense had eight tackles besides Pace.

Madoka improve to 3-0 and continue their road trip against the Army Black Knights.

Last edited:

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

The Mystique of the University Endowment Lands

By Anna Hendrix
The Daily Magi
September 11, 2062

The University Endowment Lands (UEL) is an unincorporated area that lies to the west of the city of Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, surrounding the University of British Columbia. Pacific Spirit Regional Park lies within the UEL, and although geographically located within the UEL, the University of British Columbia and private housing on university land are not under the administration of the UEL. This housing, comprising 6000 residents in 2009, is administered by a partnership between the University of British Columbia and the University Neighbourhoods Association (UNA), with the UNA providing most municipal functions. The UEL is part of Metro Vancouver and sometimes considered part of Vancouver (for example, Canada Post uses Vancouver for UEL addresses). The governance arrangements for these three areas are different, however.

The UEL is administered directly by the province and landowners pay their property taxes directly to the provincial government. In a 1995 referendum, UEL residents voted against establishing a municipal governing body.

The University Endowment Lands are located immediately west of the City of Vancouver. Statistics Canada reports a total land area of 14.13 square kilometres (5.46 sq mi). About half of the UEL is made up of Pacific Spirit Regional Park, a mostly forested land that was originally set aside for development which never materialized. Located on Point Grey, the UEL also boasts tall cliffs near the water, with steep drops of approximately 70 metres (230 ft) down to the beaches below.

Because of its isolated location and the nature of the steep cliffs next to the beaches, Greater Vancouver's only nude beaches are located in the University Endowment Lands, the best known being Wreck Beach, located near the western tip of the peninsula.

Because many films require university scenes, the UBC/UEL area is a desirable filming location. Combined with the fact that the Vancouver area is the third-largest film production centre in North America, this has made UBC a popular location for many productions. Production companies that wish to shoot on-campus must pay a fee to the university, which goes to the film and theatre departments.

Some notable movies and television shows shot in the UEL include:
  • X-Men Origins: Wolverine: Buchanan Tower
  • The Exorcism of Emily Rose: UBC's MacMillan Building as the courthouse,
  • Kenny Building as the dorm and Buchanan Building
  • 88 Minutes: UBC's Koerner Library area
  • Taken: UBC's General Services Administration Building for hostage scenes
  • Try Seventeen: UBC's Chan Centre for student orientation scenes
  • She's the Man: UBC's Thunderbird Stadium for soccer stadium scenes
  • The Butterfly Effect: Koerner Library area, Room 100 of the UBC Geography Building as the lecture hall, and the main mall.
  • Wind Chill: UBC's Main Mall
  • The 4400: Chan Centre as "The 4400 Center," University Marketplace
  • Antitrust: Chan Centre
  • Smallville: Koerner and Main Libraries, for exteriors
  • Battlestar Galactica: Rose Garden and Chan Centre exterior for "Cloud Nine"
  • MacGyver: Various campus exteriors
  • Fringe: Flagpole Plaza, Chan Centre exterior and interior, Macleod and Brimacombe Buildings exterior

The UEL is home to the University of British Columbia (hence the name "University Endowment Lands"), the Vancouver School of Theology and Regent College. UBC owns approximately half of the University Endowment Lands; its share forms the university's main campus and research facilities, and those living on UBC property (for example, students) do not pay taxes like non-UBC residents in the UEL. In addition, the UEL is served by the Vancouver School Board and is zoned to University Hill Secondary School and University Hill Elementary School.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Mitakihara send Army packing, 122-24

By Anna Hendrix
The Daily Magi
September 16, 2062

The punishing Rose, Pink and White Train of Pain that was Tatsuya Kaname's Mitakihara Magi rolled through West Point, N.Y. and lay a hurting on the Army Black Knights, 122-24, at Michie Stadium. Quarterback Ricky Cojuangco passed for 201 yards and a touchdown while rushing for 304 yards and five more scores.

Mitakihara, home to the best rushing attack in all of college football, put it on the ground once again through their Puella Magi Option package. Halfback Dan Roxas ran for 322 yards and five majors, halfback Billy Shaw ran for 171 yards and four touchdowns and fullback Shabba Tshabalala rushed for 160 yards and a score. Wide receiver Jason Saka had four receptions for 83 yards and a touchdown and tight end Jonathan Newell had four more catches for 82 yards.

Right tackle Andy Adusei led a stagnant blocking game with six pancakes while allowing one sack. Left guard Stephen Azubuike and Shaw added five more pancakes each. Middle linebacker Jeremy Ogboshogo led the defense with 13 tackles and two interceptions. Cornerback Kelvin Davis and free safety Carmen Santos also had two interceptions each while backup quarterback Rajiv Singh had a pick as well.

Mitakihara improve to 4-0 on the season and conclude their road trip next week against the South Florida Bulls.

Last edited:

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

The Mystique of Victoria International Airport

By Anna Hendrix
The Daily Magi
September 19, 2062

Victoria International Airport (IATA: YYJ, ICAO: CYYJ) serves Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. It is 12 nautical miles (22 km; 14 mi) north northwest of the city, in North Saanich, quite close to the town of Sidney on the Saanich Peninsula. The airport is run by the Victoria Airport Authority. Like most airports that are run by local authorities in Canada, Victoria International Airport charges an Airport Improvement Fee for each outgoing passenger. As of March 2062, it is $30.00.

The airport is classified as an airport of entry by NAV CANADA and is staffed by the Canada Border Services Agency. CBSA officers at this airport currently can handle aircraft with no more than 450 passengers, when unloaded from the aircraft in stages, or 150 normally.

In 2062, YYJ served 1,789,562 passengers and had 181,465 aircraft movements making it one of Canada's busiest airports in terms of passengers. It was British Columbia's second busiest airport in terms of passengers, and third in terms of aircraft movements. There are two popular locations for plane spotters. The first is at the end of Canora Road, on the south-east side of the airport, next to a small cemetery. A second, lesser-known location is an open field off of Mills Road, near the Mills Road and Meadlands Road intersection on the north-east corner of the airport.

The airport started in 1939 as a grass strip, and was used as a military training base. The airport is located beside Patricia Bay, which, due to the prevalence of flying boats at the time, proved to be an excellent location. The Department of Transport took over the airport in 1948. It was then called Victoria (Patricia Bay) Airport, and many locals still refer to it as the "Pat Bay Airport." Trans-Canada Airlines (later Air Canada) began regular service in 1943. The last Royal Canadian Air Force unit left the airport in 1952. In the late 1980s the RCAF returned to the property when 443 Helicopter Squadron began operating CH-124 Sea King ship-borne anti-submarine helicopters from Victoria International Airport. The RCAF refers to 443 Squadron operations at the airport as the Patricia Bay Heliport.

In 1959, the airport was renamed to its present name of the Victoria International Airport. In 1997, as part of a broad scale restructuring of airports across Canada, Transport Canada (formerly the Department of Transport), gave operational control of the airport to the Victoria Airport Authority.

In 2000, the Victoria Airport Authority began the process of renovating and expanding the terminal to meet passenger needs. In 2002, the new "airside hold room" was built as well as the new "arrivals rotunda." By 2005, the new "departures area" was completed. In May 2005, the federal government, which owns the land, announced a reduction in the rent paid by the Victoria Airport Authority. This will save $0.6 million Canadian each year and $12 million CAD over the life of the lease, which is 50 years.

The main terminal has 9 gates, organized as gates 1–7 and 9–10. Gates 1,2 and 9,10 are equipped with aircraft loading bridges. Gates 1–5 are used to handle international passenger arrivals. There are three luggage carousels: Two located at the arrivals area for domestic passengers, and one for international flights located beside the customs area. As of December 1, 2061, time limited, ad supported Wi-Fi internet service provided by BOLDStreet Wireless is available terminal wide.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Another rainstorm, but Madoka defeat USF 87-35

By Anna Hendrix
The Daily Magi
September 23, 2062

It was hurricane season at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Fla. and the match between Tatsuya Kaname's Mitakihara Magi and the South Florida Bulls nearly got postponed due to bad weather. In the end, the game went on as planned and the Magi slogged through the wet condition to defeat South Florida, 87-35.

Quarterback Ricky Cojuangco passed for 209 yards and three touchdowns while rushing for 333 yards and six more scores. Halfback Dan Roxas ran for 207 yards and a major, halfback Billy Shaw ran for 77 yards and a touchdown and fullback Shabba Tshabalala ran for 54 yards and a major. Wide receiver Johnny Muntari caught three passes for 80 yards and a score and wideout Zac Chabangu caught two passes for 94 yards and a touchdown.

Chabangu led the blockers with 26 pancakes while Shaw added 16 and Roxas had nine. Middle linebacker jeremy Ogboshogo led the defense with 15 tackles and a sack while left end Jevon Pace had nine tackles and three sacks. Three different players on defense had an interception apiece.

"With the road trip out of the way, the boys can now focus on a long home stretch that will demand a lot outta them," Coach Kaname said. "We love playing at the Sakura Bowl because it gives us that unique home field advantage that is hard to beat. Our players can't wait to get back to the other side of the continent and prepare for Homecoming."

Mitakihara improve to 5-0 and return home next week to host the Navy Midshipmen in Homecoming 2062.

Last edited:

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

Mitakihara Homecoming 2062: Dream Skyward

By Konomi Fujimiya
The Daily Magi
September 25, 2062

This week, Mitakihara University is celebrating a time-honored tradition on campus: it's Homecoming Week. This year's theme is "Dream Skyward." Ikaruga Saito is this year's Homecoming Chair. She is a freshman Asian Studies major and is the daughter of Mitakihara University Chancellor Honoka Kaname.

"To Dream Skyward is to aim for the stars and look to the future and the promise it brings for today," said Saito at a promotional event at Madoka Square for Homecoming 2062 hosted by the MadokASI. "Our student must strike to aim higher and go beyond the limits, think outside the box.

"When students like myself can raise the standard rethink the ways we do things in this world, society can progress and improve. That's part of the mission that defines Mitakihara University and Homecoming this year salutes the ambition of dreaming skyward."

A number of events will take place leading up to the Homecoming Game against the Navy Midshipmen on September 30, 2062 at 12:30 p.m. PT/3:30 p.m. ET. The game will be televised by City, TVA Sports, ESPN, NHK and BBC.

The Schedule is as follows:
(all times in PT)

Tuesday, September 26

8:00 a.m. - Morning Prayers to Madoka - Madoka Chapel
Speaker: Archbishop Arthur Bendik
Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Indianapolis

12 p.m. - Homecoming Registration Opens - Kaname Hall (Administration Building)
Registered participants must check in here for their Passport and vouchers for the Saturday Homecoming Barbecue at Mitakihara Stadium Parking Lot.

All Day - Museums: Spend the afternoon visiting one of the Mitakihara Museums. Admission is free with your Homecoming Passport.
* Nissin Museum of Ramen, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
* Hayao Miyazaki Museum of Art 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., miyazaki.madoka.ca
* Mitakihara Museum of Puella Magi, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
-Museums open all day Wednesday, Thursday Friday and Saturday

Madoka Garden: Find your peace of mind visiting the Madoka Garden, located next to the Madoka Chapel. Admission is free with your Homecoming Passport. Open 6 a.m. to sunset, all week.

Libraries: Admission is free at the following locations with your Homecoming Passport:
* Yuuki Library, 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
* Saito Library 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Special Exhibit at Saito Library: The Countdown to the Canadian Bicentennial. For more information, please visit the Saito Library website.
Libraries open all day Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday

1 p.m. Classes: Participants are invited to sit in on a variety of undergraduate classes:
Classes TBA, see University Web Site

2 p.m. and 3 p.m. - Mizuhashi Library Tours
Take a guided tour of the Mizuhashi Library at the Mitakihara School of Graduate Studies. Tours will meet at the reception area inside the front door and will leave at 2:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. Space on each tour is limited.

3 p.m. - Open band practice
Mitakihara Director of Bands, Dr. Alex Cochran-Pierce, holds a special band practice with members of the Marching Ultimates, the university's marching band.

3:30 p.m. Campus tours led by The Society
The Society/La Societe is the premiere student-run organization that is dedicated to serving the Mitakihara University community and is owned and operated by the Mitakihara Associated Students. Tours are conducted in English, French and Japanese.
1. Mitakihara General Tour
2. Beyond The Campus: Madoka Square, The Dorms and More
3. Touring the Madoka Garden: Something for Everybody
(also will take place on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday)
4:30 p.m. Campus tours led by The Society/La Societe
1. Mitakihara Athletic Facilities
2. Madoka Architecture: Always Bold, Always Beautiful - The Legacy
3. Madoka Garden Tea Ceremony (refreshments provided)
(also will take place on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday)

5 p.m. - Nonaka House Association's Postmeridie Lecture and Award
Honoring novelist Ben Dover, OC
Presentation of Award, Hozuki Ferrari, Vice-Chancellor of Mitakihara University, Tsukino Centre (Doors open at 4:30.)

Wednesday, September 27
9 a.m.- 3 p.m. - Homecoming Registration - Kaname Hall (Administration Building)
Registered participants must check in here for their Passport and vouchers for the Saturday Homecoming Barbecue at Mitakihara Stadium Parking Lot.

5 p.m. - Mitakihara University Glee Club Concert
Tickets required: $50 for adults, $35 for students and $30 for seniors. Tickets can be purchased directly through the Mitakihara Box Office by phone at (250) 4MADOKA or online at the box office website.

Thursday, September 28
9 a.m.- 3 p.m. - Homecoming Registration - Kaname Hall (Administration Building)
Registered participants must check in here for their Passport and vouchers for the Saturday Homecoming Barbecue at Mitakihara Stadium Parking Lot

7 p.m. - Mitakihara University Rugby vs. Zimbabwe Men's National Team
Battle for the Arrow Of Light, Sakura Bowl Stadium. Tickets required: $70 for adults, $50 for students and $30 for seniors. Tickets can be purchased directly through the Mitakihara Box Office by phone at (250) 4MADOKA or online at the box office website.

5 p.m. - Men's Water Polo vs. Air Force
The Amagami Campus Pool

7 p.m. - Men's Handball vs. Nebraska
Urobuchi Fieldhouse, Akagi Court

7:30 p.m. - Sprint Football vs. Cornell
Hakurei Centre

Friday, September 29

5 p.m. - Women's Volleyball vs. British Columbia
Battle for the Cup of Life. Exhibition, Anderson Court, Marisa Kirisame Pyramid

Approx. 8 p.m. - Pep Rally at Anderson Court, Marisa Kirisame Pyramid
Following the Women's Volleyball game vs. British Columbia, the 2062 Mitakihara Magi Football Team will be introduced. Speeches by head coach Tatsuya Kaname, offensive team captain Ray Lyles, defensive team captain Jeremy Ogboshogo, athletic director Nagisa Momoe and university chancellor Honoka Kaname will be made.

9 p.m. - Evening activities
Visit the Inu Daruma Pub or your favorite restaurant at the Campus.
The Meeting: Special gathering for Roseluck Arrow Boosters and Men About Town at McGann's, cash bar @ 9:00 p.m.

Saturday, September 30
6:00 - 9:00 a.m. - Breakfast at the Dorms - Passport holders are invited to enjoy a hot breakfast at the dorm of their choice. Pay at the door (cash please), cost is $15 per person.

8 a.m. - Morning Prayers to Madoka - Madoka Chapel
Speaker: Cardinal Jeffrey Skobrev
Roman Cathoic Archdiocese of Minneapolis

7 a.m. to 7 p.m. - Homecoming Headquarters and Registration- Rei Ayanami Field

9:00 a.m. Men's Soccer vs. Cal State Northridge
Hirasawa Field

11 a.m. Women's field hockey vs. Stanford
Rei Ayanami Field

12:00 p.m. Women's Soccer vs. California
Hirasawa Field

10 a.m. to kickoff Pre-Game Tailgate at Athletics
Pack a picnic and set up a tailgate with your friends prior to the Mitakihara-Navy football game. The Madoka Tailgate Area will be located inside Stade Sakura Bowl Gate 10. Cars can park here for $40, payable on-side. Tailgate is permitted for 2 hours prior to kickoff and for one hour following the game.

12:30 p.m. Football Kick-Off
Cheer on the Mitakihara Magi as they take on the Navy Midshipmen. A block of tickets for Madoka Homecoming is currently reserved through the Mitakihara Athletic Ticket Office. Tickets are required and cost $30 each, children ages 12 and under are free. Tickets can be purchased directly through the Mitakihara Box Office by phone at (250) 4MADOKA or online at the box office website.

11:00 a.m. - 4th quarter - Homecoming Barbecue
Barbecue in the Stade Sakura Bowl Parking Lot, Gates 6-9. A voucher for the "Ika's BBQ Fan Zone" is included in your Homecoming registration price. Please be sure to check-in at the Homecoming registration desk to receive your meal ticket. Drinks will be sold separately on-site. A variety of family a children's activities will be offered in the "Fan Zone," including face painting, music, sports games, prizes and raffles.

5:00 p.m. Women's Ice Hockey vs. McGill
Battle for the Sis Puella Magica Cup. Exhibition game, MetroTech Shanarena

8:00 p.m. - A Galactic Symphony
Presented by the Mitakihara University Philharmonic (MadoPhil), Tsukino Centre.
Ticket Required: Regular: $50.00, $40.00, $30.00;
Students: $30.00, $25.00, $20.00; Seniors (65+): $25.00,
$20.00, $15.00.
Tickets can be purchased directly through the Mitakihara Box Office by phone at (250) 4MADOKA or online at the box office website.

Sunday, October 1
9:00 a.m. - Mitakihara 10K Run/Walk for Life
Get ready to put on your running or walking shoes and take a cruise around the different places on campus and in Mitakihara. The route starts at Magia Quad and will weave around the city before ending at Madoka Square. Registration is $70.00 ($40.00 for students with ID, $20 for seniors) at the Magia Quad tent from 6 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. All proceeds benefit the BC Cancer Foundation. Refreshments and medals will be provided at finish line.

Last edited:

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Another rainstorm, but Madoka prevail on Homecoming

By Anna Hendrix
The Daily Magi
September 30, 2062

Tatsuya Kaname's Mitakihara Magi can't get away from bad weather. Not that they seem to mind; quarterback Ricky Cojuangco passed for 309 yards and five touchdowns and halfback Dan Roxas ran for 124 yards and two more scores as the Magi pounded past the Navy Midshipmen, 73-21 on Homecoming 2062 at the Sakura Bowl.

Wide receiver Jason Saka caught eight passes for 140 yards and a touchdown, wide receiver Zac Chabangu had five catches for 112 yards and a score, fullback M.J. Vincent had a pair of short touchdown catches and left tackle Michael Aryee led the blockers with 23 pancakes. Cornerback Josh Ravensdale led the defense with 10 tackles, while cornerback Greg Essien and free safety Carmen Santos had an interception each.

"Our guys are getting used to playing in the rain, as if they are expecting to play in these wet conditions," said Coach Kaname after the game. "Hopefully next week will have some much better weather, as we are playing under the lights. But our boys played a good game, well done to them."

Madoka improve to 6-0 and return to action next week against the UCLA Bruins.

Last edited:

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

Kotori Itsuka, the mother of Shintarou and Dakota Okabe, who committed to the Mitakihara Magi this past week.

Okabe brothers commit to Madoka

By Anna Hendrix
The Daily Magi
October 2, 2062

Shintarou and Dakota Okabe, the two sons of Mitakihara Magi defensive coordinator Buntarou Okabe, have committed to Tatsuya Kaname's Magi and will be coached by their old man starting next fall, it was announced. The announcement was seen as a major coup for Coach Kaname, as the three primary targets have been acquired: the Okabe brothers and outside linebacker Takuto Itsuka.

"Our mom wanted us to be a part of the Magi football team, and after Homecoming Week, we decided it would be the right decision," said Dakota, who plays on the right side. "I think we would have let her down if we decided to commit elsewhere."

"I knew that I was going to be a Magi before this whole thing began," Shintarou added. He plays on the left side and will be No. 1 on the depth chart next year, if all goes as expected. "I'm the quicker of the two and none of the other schools had a chance. I didn't want to go to a B1G school because I was never gonna win a national championship.

"I'm excited to join the Mitakihara Family and I am ready to get my feet wet."

"I think my two boys made the right decision to join me here at Madoka," said Coach Okabe via phone call. "I told them, 'You're coming with me or else. We have all the tools you need to be successful and achieve. You just have to declare and then you're on your way to being stars of the Best College Football Team in All of College Football.' And that was all they needed."

The Magi are looking at one more recruit to acquire, and that is center Daniel Hashida, the son of Mitakihara offensive coordinator Darrell Hashida. Daniel is seen to be a successor to Nate Urshel and has good hands, great blocking technique, textbook snap technique and an overall superior work ethic. In addition, Daniel Hashida is a straight-A student at MitSS and is slated to be in contention for a salutatorian position during next spring's Commencement ceremony.

Notre Dame is looking to also acquire Hashida's services and may get in a tug-of-war with the Magi. Mitakihara and Notre Dame have been in a constant tug-of-war over a number of prized prospects over the years, and Hashida may be in the line of fire over the next few weeks.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Madoka defeat UCLA, 62-14

By Anna Hendrix
The Daily Magi
October 7, 2062

Quarterback Ricky Cojuangco passed for 296 yards and three touchdowns and halfback Dan Roxas ran for 152 yards and three more scores as Tatsuya Kaname's Mitakihara Magi punished the UCLA Bruins, 62-14, at the Sakura Bowl in Mitakihara Town, B.C. A strong balance of the pass and the run did in the Bruins, who put up a decent showing defensively.

Halfback Billy Shaw ran for 76 yards and a touchdown, fullback M.J. Vincent ran for 83 yards and a score, backup quarterback Rajiv Singh ran for 98 yards and a major, Roxas caught four passes for 133 yards and a touchdown and wide receiver Zac Chabangu caught six passes for 73 yards.

Left tackle Mark Nkrumah led the blockers with 17 pancakes while right tackle Andy Adusei added 13 pancakes. Cornerback Josh Ravensdale led gthe defense with nine tackles and an interceptions. Two other players on defense also had a pick each.

"I told the players, 'Don't slow your roll,'" said Coach Kaname after the game. "It's good to be bowl eligible, but that's not what our season is about. We have a strong slater of games this month, and a fierce Stanford team is coming to our house next week. We need to be ready."

Mitakihara improve to 7-0 and host the Stanford Cardinal next week.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
640px-Iceboaters1.jpg

The Mystique of Ice Yachting

By Anna Hendrix
The Daily Magi
October 10, 2062

Ice yachting is the sport of sailing and racing iceboats, also called ice yachts. It is practiced in Austria, Germany, Great Britain, Poland, Norway and Sweden, to some extent, and is very popular in the Netherlands and on the Gulf of Finland, but its highest development is in the United States and Canada. The Dutch ice yacht is a flat-bottomed boat resting crosswise upon a planking about three feet wide and sixteen long, to which are affixed four steel runners, one each at bow, stern and each end of the planking. The rudder is a fifth runner fixed to a tiller. Heavy mainsails and jibs are generally used and the boat is built more for safety than for speed. The iceboat of the Gulf of Finland is a V-shaped frame with a heavy plank running from bow to stern, in which the mast is stepped. The stern or steering runner is worked by a tiller or wheel. The sail is a large lug and the boom and gaff are attached to the mast by travelers. The passengers sit upon planks or rope netting. According to some, the Russian boats were faster than the Dutch-built ice yachts.

In 1790, ice yachting was in vogue on the Hudson River, its headquarters being at Poughkeepsie, New York. The type was a square box on three runners, the two forward, ones being nailed to the box and the third acting as a rudder operated by a tiller. The sail was a flatheaded sprit. This primitive style was in general use until 1853, when triangular frames with boxes for the crew aft and jib and mainsail rig were introduced. A heavy, hard-riding type soon developed, with short gaffs, low sails, large jibs and booms extending far over the stern. It was over-canvassed and the mast was stepped directly over the runner plank, bringing the centre of sail-balance so far aft that the boats were apt to run away, and the over-canvassing frequently caused the windward runner to swing up into the air to a dangerous height. The largest and fastest example of this type, which prevailed until 1879, was Commodore J. A. Roosevelt's first Icicle, which measured 69 ft (21 m) overall and carried 1,070 sq ft (99 m2) of canvas. In 1879, H. Relyea built the Robert Scott, which had a single backbone and guy wires, and it became the model for all Hudson River ice yachts. Masts were now stepped farther forward, jibs were shortened, booms were cut down, and the center of sail-balance was brought more inboard and higher up, causing the centers of effort and resistance to come more in harmony. The shallow steering-box became elliptical.

In 1881, there occurred the first race for the American Challenge Pennant, which represents the championship of the Hudson river; the clubs that competed included the Hudson River, North Shrewsbury, Orange Lake, Newburgh and Carthage Ice Yacht Clubs. The races are usually sailed five times round a triangle of which each leg measures one mile, at least two of the legs being to windward. Ice yachts are divided into four classes, carrying respectively 600 sq ft (60 m2) of canvas or more, between 450 and 600, between 300 and 450, and less than 300 sq ft (30 m2). Ice yachting is very popular on the Great Lakes, both in the United States and Canada, the Kingston, Ontario Club having a fleet of over 25 sail. Other important centers of the sport are the Lake Geneva, Wisconsin area, with an average of twenty-five sailing days a season for the last five years, Lakes Minnetonka and White Bear in Minnesota, Lakes Winnebago and Pepin in Wisconsin, Bar Harbor Lake in Maine, the St. Lawrence River, Quinte Bay, Lake Champlain and Mitakihara Town, B.C.

A modern ice yacht is made of a single-piece backbone the entire length of the boat, and a runner-plank upon which it rests at right angles, the two forming a kite-shaped frame. The best woods for these pieces are basswood, butternut, and pine. They are cut from the log in such a way that the heart of the timber expands, giving the planks a permanent curve, which, in the finished boat, is turned upward. The two forward runners, usually made of soft cast iron and about 2 ft (1 m). 7 in. long and 24 in high, are set into oak frames a little over 5 feet long and 5 inches high. The runners have a cutting edge of 90%, though a V-shaped edge is often preferred for racing. The rudder is a runner about 3 ft (1 m). 7 in. long, worked by a tiller, sometimes made very long, 7½ feet not being uncommon. This enables the helmsman to lie in the box at full length and steer with his feet, leaving his hands free to tend the sheet. Masts and spars are generally made hollow for racing-yachts and the rigging is pliable steel wire. The sails are of 10-ounce duck for a boat carrying 400 sq ft (40 m2) of canvas. They have very high peaks, short hoists and long booms. The mainsail and jib rig is general, but a double-masted lateen rig has been found advantageous. The foremost ice-yacht builder of America was G. E. Buckhout of Poughkeepsie.

An ice yacht about 40 ft (12 m) in length will carry six or seven passengers or crew, who are distributed in such a manner as to preserve the balance of the boat. In a good breeze the crew lie out on the windward side of the runner-plank to balance the boat, and reduce the pressure on the leeward runner. A course of 20 miles (32 km) with many turns has been sailed on the Hudson in less than 48 minutes, the record for a measured mile with flying start being at the rate of about 72 miles (116 km) an hour. In a high wind, however, ice yachts often move at the rate of 85 and even 90 miles (145 km) an hour.

On the bays near Mitakihara Town, a unique kind of iceboat has developed called the scooter, which may be described as a toboggan with a sail. A typical scooter is about 15 ft (5 m) long with an extreme beam of 5 ft (2 m), perfectly oval in form and flat. It has mainsail and jib carried on a mast 9 or 10 feet long and set well aft, and is provided with two long parallel metal runners. There is no rudder, the scooter being steered entirely by trimming the sails, particularly the jib. As the craft is flat and buoyant, it sails well in water, and can thus be used on very thin ice without danger. A speed of 50 km/h (31 mph) has been attained by a scooter.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
640px-Telemarker_HQ.jpg

The Mystique of Telemark Skiing

By Anna Hendrix
The Daily Magi
October 11, 2062

Telemark skiing (also known as "free heel skiing") is a form of downhill skiing using bindings where the boot is attached only at the toe (similar to those of Cross-country skiing), allowing the heel to come up from the ski. Because the heel is free, it allows the skier to go into a lunge position in order to turn. The act of lunging while turning is a technique called the telemark turn.

Telemark turns are led with the heel flat on the outside ski (which becomes the downhill ski at the end of the turn) with the knee at a 90-degree angle. The inside (and uphill) ski slides back under the skier's body with a flexed knee and raised heel. This position resembles that of a lunge. This ski position can be most clearly seen in ski jumping, where the "Telemark position" is part of the requirements of a successful jump. The skis are staggered but not quite parallel, and the downhill ski is pushed forward by the skier’s lunge. Normally 50% to 60% of the body weight is distributed on the outside ski, depending on snow conditions.

The Telemark turn came to the attention of the Norwegian public in 1868, when Sondre Norheim took part in a ski jumping competition. Norheim's technique of fluid turns soon dominated skiing, and in Norway it continued to do well into the next century. Starting in the 1910s, newer techniques based on the stem gradually replaced Telemark in the Alpine countries. Newer techniques were easier to master and enabled shorter turns better suited for steeper alpine terrain and skiing downhill. The Telemark turn became the technique of ski touring in rolling terrain.

The technique is named after the Telemark region of Norway, just as the stem Christie turn was named after Christiania (now Oslo), Norway. As well as inventing the Telemark turn, Sondre Norheim and his fellow skiers used and refined parallel skiing techniques. Thus, while the Telemark is part of early skiing's foundation, parallel techniques are of equal importance.

The revival in the Telemark technique, after its decline from popularity in the mid-1940s, started in United States in the 1970s. Telemark skiing was a back-to-basics reaction to the high-tech equipment developments of alpine skiing, and the increasing reliance on crowded groomed pistes served by ever larger and faster mechanical ski lifts. The use of traditional clothing is associated with the Telemark skiing revival.

The Telemark revival started almost simultaneously in Crested Butte, Colorado and the northern part of the Green Mountains in Vermont. The Vermont revival was led by Telemark enthusiast Dickie Hall. At the same time, in southern Vermont, Filippo Pagano (aka Telemarkfil) was leading the revival with the opening of the first Telemark Ski School in the Eastern USA at Bromley Mountain. The Telemark racing series was also started. It came to the attention of a larger public with a demonstration by a team from the Professional Ski Instructors of America at Interski, Italy in 1983. It grew to prominence during the 1990s; however, although organizations such as NATO (North American Telemark Organization) and NET (New England Telemark) sponsor telemark festivals and Instruction as the sport continues to grow, it is still considered a minority sport.

The edges used in a Telemark turn are the same as with a parallel turn, but a Telemark turn involves leading the turn with the outside ski while trailing the inside ski. When initiating a turn, the skier edges the outside ski (which becomes the downhill ski at the completion of the turn) with a flat heel while simultaneously lifting the heel on the inside ski to shift the ski to the back of the Telemark stance. Through the turn, between 50 and 80 percent of the skier's weight is shifted onto the outside ski depending on snow conditions, and rests primarily on the toe-half of each foot—even the outside foot, which has its boot heel in contact with the ski. Inexperienced Telemark skiers often find it difficult to place enough weight on their trailing, inside ("heel-up") ski to force it to turn, or "carve" in unison with the outside ski. When skiing off-piste in light powder the weight ratio can be different than the suggested 50 to 80 percent on the outside ski. Developments in modern telemark technique subsequent to the release of modern, highly responsive boots and bindings have demonstrated an increasing preference toward a turn made in an aggressive, carving fashion that closely resembles the modern alpine turn; as such, the modern technique emphasizes a side-to-side weight distribution that closely resembles that of alpine skiing. Often having the majority of the weight on the inside trailing ski can help compensate for poor technique, as it allows the skier to use the outside ski as a 'buffer' to control the snow, and to help keeping the outside ski tip above the snow.

There is no agreement on the respective angle between the skis during a Telemark turn. Increasing the angle increases the amount that both knees are bent and brings the skier's torso closer to the snow. Some Telemarkers enjoy an extremely low stance with the trailing knee almost in contact with the ski top, while others prefer a taller stance, with a consequently smaller angle, that allows quicker transitions between turns. As a general rule, the back leg should be tucked in, with the knee of the trailing leg aligned vertically over the leading foot. Telemarkers who turn with their trailing knee considerably behind their leading foot are often referred to as "dog-leggers" because their rear leg resembles that of a wounded dog. "Toe-dragger" can also be used to describe Telemark skiers who do not tuck in their rear leg.[citation needed] It is possible to make parallel turns using Telemark equipment, which is why penalties are assessed if the boots are not staggered by at least a boot's length in FIS Telemark competitions. This element of technique is up to the skier, although a very low stance is to be avoided where hard uneven snow might cause the lowered knee to collide with the ground or ski. Some Telemark skiers, therefore, use kneepads to reduce the risk of injury.

Accomplished Telemark skiers, like accomplished alpine skiers, keep their torsos vertical and oriented downhill while linking turns, thus avoiding turning too far. This position also allows greater control over the fine-tuning of weight distribution. When skiing in thick powder it is important that the skier not lean back; staying forward and facing downhill allows quicker response to changing conditions. The lack of a fixed heel means that it is easy to go head-first into the snow when hitting a hard patch, but if centered on the skis and facing downhill, the skier is less likely to fall. With or without poles, the skier's hands should be in front of the body.

Some Telemark skiers continue to ski with a single long pole or lurk held in both hands in traditional style. The lurk should only contact the snow on the inside of the turn, though some find better balance results if the lurk contacts the snow on the outside of the turn.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
640px-Bry.jpg

The Mystique of Formula Windsurfing

By Anna Hendrix
The Daily Magi
October 12, 2062

Formula Windsurfing is the high performance competitive course racing format of the windsurfing world. These boards have a massive wind range that enables racing in very light winds from 7 knots up to 35 knots and are capable of reaching speeds of over 30 knots.

This class of windsurfing born in late of 90's decade like an upgrade of funboard-type course racing boards looking for lowering wind limits and broad wind strengths. Historically for lighter winds the boards designers increase the length. In late 90's some brands AHD, Berky, Drops, ML, Pro-Tech, Roberts and Starboard work on alternative solutions. In overall they go for widening and shortening board length looking for use larger fins to get into planing earlier. Few concepts were developed with different solutions around the tail of the boards because the fins moves further back of the board looking for freely the nose to lower drag. Brands develop a variety of solution to avoid ventilation in the fin area using flaps or steeped bottoms. Last ones are widely adopted due its durability and easy of use. These designs where developed due the new technology that allows to make larger fins (around 50cm.) who can stand the increasing sail size and fin pressure. In few years this concept was widely adopted by almost Formula Windsurfing board factories.

The concept of Formula Windsurfing as a class was born in France, who successfully pioneered Formula competition in 1998. The first Formula Windsurfing contest was held on Brest the 24th March of 1998. During the 4 day competition ten races were held in winds of 6 to 12 knots by the top 20 French funboard sailors. The event was won by Erik Thieme on a 2.75m. board powered by a 10.0sq.m. sail.

The new class was formed by joint effort of the International Board Sailing Association (IBSA) and the International Funboard Class Association (IFCA). During 1999 many national funboard associations included Formula as a discipline in their national racing circuits. Four international Formula regattas were held, including the first Formula World Championships, in Belgium, won by Wojtek Brzozowski from Poland. The Formula Windsurfing Class was adopted as an ISAF "International" class in 2001.

The International Formula Windsurfing Class is controlled by the International Sailing Federation and was launched in 1998. This class introduced rules that restricted competitors to one board with a maximum of 3 sails and 3 fins (changed to 2 fins in 2011). This led the designers into creating boards with a very wide wind range coupled with excellent upwind and downwind performance.

Formula boards have now been restricted to 1m wide with fins up to 70 cm long and maximum sail sizes of 12.5m^2. By changing the fin length, type and stiffness as well as the sail sizes these boards can be tuned for a wide range of wind and water conditions and suit a variety of different sized sailors.

Formula boards are ideal for advanced windsurfers who wish to do any of the following:

• Course race. This class has been specifically developed for this purpose.
  • Maximise time on water. The number of days with wind suitable for formula windsurfing is far greater than for any other type of windsurfing.
  • Cruise and explore coast lines. Formula boards are capable for sailing much larger angles relative to the wind direction and are therefore ideal for exploring coast lines.

Formula boards can also be used by the Intermediate windsurfers. The large board width and volume create a stable platform for intermediate windsurfers. However, as these boards have been developed for racing they are extremely light weight and therefore fragile. New formula boards are therefore not recommended for this type of user. Intermediates should consider starting with sail sizes of about 9m before progressing to 11-12.5m^2. Formula boards are not recommended for beginners as they are very fragile.

The ideal weather conditions for formula windsurfing are flat water with winds of 7 to 25 knots, however international rules allow racing in up to 35 knots. Sailing in chop and swell is more challenging. Due to the fragile nature of this equipment, windsurfing or launching in breaking waves is to be avoided. Due to fin length, formula boards should not be used in shallow waters.

A formula windsurfing event is usually made up from a number of races over a given period. Races are run in the same method as conventional sailing races with a count down to the start after which competitors can cross an imaginary line between 2 start markers. Races usually 15-30minutes, with up to 4 races per day (conditions allowing). The winner is the competitor with the best total score for all of the races in the event (although some race results may be discounted depending on number of races sailed and various other factors). Typical courses are include upwind/downwind sausage, triangle or square courses. Mitakihara Beach in Mitakihara Town all three windsurfing courses, which allow it to be used for Formula Windsurfing events during the summer.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
640px-Kayakbc.jpg

The Mystique of the Sea Kayak

By Anna Hendrix
The Daily Magi
October 13, 2062

A sea kayak or touring kayak is a kayak developed for the sport of paddling on open waters of lakes, bays, and the ocean. Sea kayaks are seaworthy small boats with a covered deck and the ability to incorporate a spray deck. They trade off the maneuverability of whitewater kayaks for higher cruising speed, cargo capacity, ease of straight-line paddling, and comfort for long journeys.

Sea kayaks are used around the world for marine (sea) journeys from a few hours to many weeks, as they can accommodate one to three paddlers together with room for camping gear, food, water, and other supplies. A sea kayak usually ranges anywhere from 10–18 feet (3–5½ meters) for solo craft, and up to 26 feet (8 meters) for tandem craft. Width may be as little as 21" (50 cm), and may be up to 36" (90 cm).
Contemporary sea kayaks trace their origin to the native boats of Alaska, northern Canada, and Southwest Greenland. Eskimo hunters developed a fast seagoing craft to hunt seals and walrus. The ancient Aleut name for a sea kayak is Iqyak, and earliest models were constructed from a light wooden frame (tied together with sinew or baleen) and covered with sea mammal (sea lion or seal) hides. Archaeologists have found evidence indicating that kayaks are at least 4000 years old. Wooden kayaks and fabric kayaks on wooden frames (such as the Klepper) were dominating the market up until 1950s, when fiberglass boats were first introduced. Rotomolded plastic kayaks first appeared in 1984.

Modern sea kayaks come in a wide array of materials, designs, and sizes to suit a variety of intended uses. In sea kayaking, where the designs continue along primarily traditional lines, the primary distinction is between rigid kayaks and folding kayaks. Folding kayaks are in some ways more traditional boats, being similar in design to skin-on-frame kayaks used by native people. Modern folding kayaks use ash and birch or contemporary materials such as aluminum for the frame, and replace the sealskin covering with synthetic waterproof fabrics. Unlike native kayaks, folding kayaks can be easily disassembled and packed for transport. Many folding kayaks include inflatable sponsons that improve the secondary stability of the vessel, helping to prevent capsize. More recently, a class of inflatable folding kayaks has emerged, combining a more limited rigid frame with a tightly inflated skin to produce greater rigidity than an inflatable boat alone.

In recent years, there has been an increase in production of sit on top kayaks suitable for sea use. This has resulted in a new market for paddlers looking for the versatility of a sit on top, with seaworthy performance. Sit on top kayaks are a common choice for sea kayakers who prefer the sit on top versatility, but do not want to sacrifice performance.

Most rigid sea kayaks also derive from the external designs of native vessels, especially those from Greenland, but the strength of modern materials such as fiberglass, rotomolded plastic and carbon fiber eliminate the need for an internal frame, though significantly increasing weight. Modern skin-on-frame sea kayaks constructed with nylon skins represent an ultralight niche within the rigid sea kayak spectrum.

Some recent design innovations include:

• Recreational kayaks—shorter kayaks with wide beams and large cockpits intended for sheltered waters
  • Sit-on-top kayaks—boats without an enclosed cockpit, but with the basic hull shape of a kayak.

A different class of vessel has also emerged, the Surf ski, a long, narrow boat with low inherent stability that is intended for use in surf and following waves.

A sea kayak's primary safety device is its paddler. Although some kayakers consider a well-practised self-righting move such as an Eskimo roll to be essential to safe open-water kayaking, it is the technique of bracing that every well-trained, experienced kayaker practises to maintain an upright position in their kayak. Practice in bracing is often neglected by inexperienced kayakers once they have learned the Eskimo roll. However, the reality is that having to roll really means having to recover from a failed brace. Being in the capsized position in some environments due to missing a brace can put the paddler in danger of colliding with obstacles under the water. Staying upright in surf zones, rock gardens, and rivers is most important and is only accomplished through well practised and successful bracing.

While there are a number of techniques for unassisted righting and re-entry of a kayak after a capsize and turtling, most paddlers consider it safest to paddle with one or more others, as assistance is useful if attempting to roll up solo fails. Even if the assistance fails to get you righted, it's a lot easier to climb back into a boat in the open sea if you've got another boat and paddler to help and your boat's been emptied of water first. Nonetheless, experienced paddlers do attempt open water crossings unaccompanied, and several major long-distance kayak expeditions have been carried out solo.

The use of a Paddle float self rescue device, generally consisting of foam, or inflatable bag, attached to the end of a paddle, allows a paddler to use the paddle as an outrigger, while climbing back into the cockpit. Be sure if you use an inflatable paddle float that you use a dual chambered model, but only train with one chamber inflated. A double chambered device will give you redundancy in case of a failure in one chamber. Training with one chamber inflated won't leave you handicapped if one chamber does fail. In many areas (Canada for instance) this is a coast guard required item. This fairly reliable rescue technique, if well practised, allows one to paddle with confidence when not equipped with a 'bombproof' roll.

There is a strong culture of self-sufficiency amongst sea kayakers and extensive safety equipment such as compass, towing lines, manual pumps, repair kits including wet application repair tape, flares, paddle leash, spare paddles, and survival gear are routinely carried; along with supplies of food and a flask of hot beverage for non-emergency use. GPS, charts, lights, radios and cell phones, and radar reflectors are also sometimes carried.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Mitakihara fire past Stanford, 96-28

By Anna Hendrix
The Daily Magi
October 14, 2062

Tatsuya Kaname's Mitakihara Magi rolled past the Stanford Cardinal, 96-28, at the Sakura Bowl in Mitakihara Town, B.C. Quarterback Ricky Cojuangco passed for 313 yards and three touchdowns and also added another score on the ground. Halfback Dan Roxas ran for 188 yards and two majors and halfback Billy Shaw ran for 259 yards and three more scores.

Wide receiver Zac Chabangu caught five passes for 122 yards and a touchdown, wideout Jason Saka caught four passes for 63 yards and two majors and wideout Johnny Muntari caught five passes for 85 yards. Left tackle Michael Aryee led the team in blocking with 13 pancakes while right guard Robert Havenaar added eight pancake blocks.

It was a quiet effort defensively for the Magi. Defensive tackle Stephen Opoku, a freshman, led the way with seven tackles, while cornerback Drew Clottey had six tackles and an interception returned 22 yards for a scores. Right end Luke McKenzie also steered the ship on the pass rush with two sacks. Kicker Antonio Magsaysay wasn't perfect, but he was 4-for-5 on his field goals, including a season-best 49-yarder.

Madoka improve to 8-0 and continue their long home stand against the Minnesota Golden Gophers.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
640px-Fantasygardens-pano.jpg

The Mystique of Fantasy Gardens

By Anna Hendrix
The Daily Magi
October 17, 2062

Fantasy Gardens, also known as Fantasy Garden World, was a former amusement park in Richmond, British Columbia that was located at the corner of Steveston Highway and No. 5 Road. The park was called Fantasy Gardens because it was surrounded by a series of stone buildings that were designed to resemble structures built during the Middle Ages. The buildings had been used as a backdrop in numerous music videos, television productions, and movies (it stood in for Halloweentown in Halloweentown II: Kalabar's Revenge).

Behind the stone buildings were the Biblical Gardens. These gardens were filled with numerous religious icons, including a hedge that had been carved into the shape of a Bible.

Fantasy Gardens was home to a massive plant store in the Art Knapp's chain, owned by Frank Van Hest. Bill Vander Zalm's son Wim owned several other stores in the Art Knapp's chain. Many people visited the store to get a glimpse of its turtle-filled pond. This plant store closed its location at Fantasy Gardens, moving to a vacant nursery one mile west along Alderbridge Way and Minoru Boulevard. The Art Knapp's Nursery stores were founded by Arthur William Knapp, a longtime resident of Victoria, British Columbia, Canada.

During the 1980s and early 1990s there was a small-scale amusement park at Fantasy Gardens. The biggest attraction was a miniature railroad that visitors could ride throughout the park and the gardens. When the fair closed down, most of the miniature railroad tracks were ripped up. Before being closed, this miniature railroad was filmed and it appeared in The X-Files episode "The Calusari." During this episode, a toddler chases a balloon that is being carried away by a ghost, and he runs on to the track and is hit and killed by the train.

In 1984 the gardens were bought by Bill Vander Zalm, who established the Christian theme of much of the park. Then a provincial MLA, Vander Zalm went on to be Premier of British Columbia. His later sale of the park led to charges of conflict of interest, which in turn led to his resignation in 1991 and the defeat of the Social Credit government.

On 7 September 2010, Fantasy Gardens was torn down, but the Dutch Castle, now a community landmark, was saved. The castle is a replica of Coevorden Castle, the ancestral home of Captain George Vancouver in the Netherlands. The castle was donated to the people of Vancouver by the city of Coevorden for Expo '86.

The site was also used as the primary set of the "Revisions" episode of the TV series Stargate SG-1, the "Irresponsible" episode of Stargate Atlantis, the B&W "Monster Movie" episode of Supernatural and on the episodes "Shadows" and "Blackmail" from Highlander: The Series.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Mitakihara roll past Minnesota, 75-14

By Anna Hendrix
The Daily Magi
October 21, 2062

Quarterback Ricky Cojuangco passed for 272 yards and four touchdowns and ran for 107 yards and another score as Tatsuya Kaname's Mitakihara Magi stonewalled the Minnesota Golden Gophers, 75-14, at the Sakura Bowl in Mitakihara Town, B.C. A solid mix of run and passing were effective at wearing down Minnesota, and the special teams also laid a helping hand in the blowout.

Halfback Billy Shaw ran for 154 yards and two touchdowns, halfback Dan Roxas ran for 91 yards and a major, wide receiver Jason Saka caught six passes for 86 yards and wideout Zac Chabangu caught three passes for 48 yards and a score. Three other players also caught a pass for a touchdown.

Left tackle Michael Aryee led the blockers with 14 pancakes, while right tackle Andy Adusei had 10 pancakes, right guard Robert Havenaar had nine and right tackle Gary Breckinridge added eight. Left end Jevon Pace paced the defense with 11 tackles and four sacks on the day. Kicker Antonio Magsaysay was perfect on his field goal attempts, going 4-for-4.

Mitakihara improve to 9-0 and return to action next week against the Florida Gators.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
508px-Steller%27s_Jay_flagstaff_arizona.jpg

The Mystique of the Stellar's Jay

By Anna Hendrix
The Daily Magi
October 23, 2062

The Steller's Jay (Cyanocitta stelleri) is a jay native to western North America, closely related to the Blue Jay found in the rest of the continent, but with a black head and upper body. It is also known as the Long-crested Jay, Mountain Jay, and Pine Jay. It is the only crested jay west of the Rocky Mountains.

The Steller's Jay shows a great deal of regional variation throughout its range. Blackish-brown-headed birds from the north gradually become bluer-headed farther south. The Steller's Jay has a more slender bill and longer legs than the Blue Jay and has a much more pronounced crest. It is also somewhat larger. The head is blackish-brown with light blue streaks on the forehead. This dark coloring gives way from the shoulders and lower breast to silvery blue. The primaries and tail are a rich blue with darker barring.

It occurs in coniferous forest over much of the western half of North America from Alaska in the north to northern Nicaragua[3] completely replacing the Blue Jay in most of those areas. Some hybridization with the Blue Jay in Colorado has been reported. The Steller's Jay lives in coniferous and mixed woodland, but not in completely dense forest, and requires open space. It typically lives in flocks of greater than 10 individuals. In autumn, flocks often visit oak woods when acorns are ripe.

The Steller's Jay primarily lives in coniferous forests but can be found in many forested areas. They can be found in low to moderate elevations as high as the tree line, but rarely go that high. Steller's Jays are common in residential and agricultural areas with nearby forests.

Like other Jays, the Steller's Jay has numerous and variable vocalizations. One common call is a harsh SHACK-Sheck-sheck-sheck-sheck-sheck series; another skreeka! skreeka! call sounds almost exactly like an old-fashioned pump handle; yet another is a soft, breathy hoodle hoodle whistle. Its alarm call is a harsh, nasal wah. Some calls are sex-specific: females produce a rattling sound, while males make a high-pitched gleep gleep.

The Steller's Jay also is a noted vocal mimic. It can mimic the vocalizations of many species of birds, other animals, and sounds of non-animal origin. It often will imitate the calls from birds of prey such as the Red-tailed Hawk, Red-shouldered Hawk, and Osprey, causing other birds to seek cover and flee feeding areas.

This bird is named after the German naturalist Georg Wilhelm Steller, the first European to record them in 1741. The Steller's Jay is the provincial bird of British Columbia.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Cojuangco struggles, but Mitakihara defeat Florida 52-24

By Anna Hendrix
The Daily Magi
October 28, 2062

It was a tough go for Mitakihara Magi quarterback Ricky Cojuangco who passed for 308 yards, three touchdowns and two interceptions as Tatsuya Kaname's Magi defeated the Florida Gators, 52-24, in the snow at the Sakura Bowl in Mitakihara Town, B.C. However, Rico Football also ran for 96 yards and a touchdown as the home team scrapped their way to a 10-0 record.

Halfback Dan Roxas ran for 95 yards and a touchdown, fullback M.J. Vincent ran for 63 yards and a score, halfback Billy Shaw rushded for 78 yards and a major and wide receiver Johnny Muntari caught eight passes for 163 yards and a touchdowns. Wide receiver Jason Saka and tight end Jonathan Newell also caught a pass for a score.

Left tackle Michael Aryee continued a phenomenal season on the offensive line for the Magi with 12 pancakes while right guard Robert Havenaar added 11 pancakes despite giving up a sack. Four different players on defense had 10 tackles each, including defensive tackle Xavier Mpong and cornerback Drew Clottey, who both had one sack apiece.

Next week, the Magi will have two home games in three days, starting on Nov. 4 against the Ole Miss Rebels.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
640px-TumblerRidgeTownHall.jpg

The Mystique of Tumbler Ridge, British Columbia

By Anna Hendrix
The Daily Magi
October 30, 2062

Tumbler Ridge is a district municipality in the foothills of the Canadian Rockies in northeastern British Columbia, Canada, and a member municipality of the Peace River Regional District. The municipality of 1,558 square kilometres (602 sq mi), with its population of 2,710 people, incorporates a townsite and a large area of mostly Crown Land. The housing and municipal infrastructure, along with regional infrastructure connecting the new town to other municipalities, were built simultaneously in 1981 by the provincial government to service the coal industry as part of the British Columbia Resources Investment Corporation's Northeast Coal Development.

In 1981, a consortium of Japanese steel mills agreed to purchase 100 million tonnes of coal over 15 years for US$7.5 billion from two mining companies, Denison Mines Inc. and the Teck Corporation, who were to operate the Quintette mine and the Bullmoose mine respectively. Declining global coal prices after 1981, and weakening Asian markets in the late 1990s, made the town's future uncertain and kept it from achieving its projected population of 10,000 people. The uncertainty dissuaded investment and kept the economy from diversifying. When price reductions were forced onto the mines, the Quintette mine was closed in 2000 production and the town lost about half its population. Since 2000 rising coal prices have led to the opening of new mines in and near the municipality by Northern Energy & Mining Inc. (now majority-owned by Anglo American Met Coal) and Western Canadian Coal (now Walter Energy).

After dinosaur footprints, fossils, and bones were discovered in the municipality, along with fossils of Triassic fishes and cretaceous plants, the Peace Region Paleontology Research Centre opened in 2003. The research centre and a dinosaur museum were funded in part by the federal Western Economic Diversification Canada to decrease economic dependence on the coal industry. Economic diversification has also occurred with oil and gas exploration, forestry, and recreational tourism. Nearby recreational destinations include numerous trails, mountains, waterfalls, snowmobiling areas and provincial parks, such as Monkman Provincial Park, Bearhole Lake Provincial Park, and Gwillim Lake Provincial Park.

Archaeological evidence show a human presence dating back 3,000 years. The nomadic Sekani, followed by the Dunneza and then the Cree, periodically lived in temporary settlements around the future municipality. Formal exploratory and surveying expeditions were conducted by S. Prescott Fay, with Robert Cross and Fred Brewster in 1914, J.C. Gwillim in 1919, Edmund Spieker in 1920, and John Holzworth in 1923. Spieker coined the name Tumbler Ridge, referring to the mountains northwest of the future town, by altering Gwillim's map that named them Tumbler Range. Permanent settlers were squatters, five families by 1920, who maintained trap lines. In the 1950s and 1960s, oil and natural gas exploration and logging was conducted through the area, and 15 significant coal deposits were discovered. Coal prices rose after the 1973 oil crisis leading to 40 government studies examining the viability of accessing the coal, given the 1,130 km (700 mi) to the nearest port and the mountainous barrier.

With these coal deposits in mind, a purchasing agreement was signed in 1981 by two Canadian mining companies, a consortium of Japanese steel mills, and the governments of British Columbia and Canada. As part of the deal, the provincial government committed, under the North East Coal Development plan, to build a new town near the deposits, two highways off Highway 97, a power line from the W. A. C. Bennett Dam at Hudson's Hope, and a branch rail line through the Rocky Mountains. An alternative of using work camps staffed by people from Dawson Creek and Chetwynd was also considered. Massive initial investments were required as planning for the new town began in 1976 with the objective of having a fully functioning town ready before residents arrived. Coordinated through the provincial Ministry of Municipal Affairs the town, regional infrastructure, and mining plants were all built simultaneously. When the municipality was incorporated in April 1981 the area was completely forested. During that year building sites and roadways were cleared and in the winter the water and sewerage system was built. In 1982, houses and other buildings were constructed. Full production at the mines was reached the following year.

In early 1983, the families of the managers at the Bullmoose Minesite, led by Dean Sawas appealed to the British Columbia government and were able to create a new settlement, called Bullmoose Settlement. This was done because Dean's wife was expecting and he wanted his child to have something different to say about her birthplace. He wanted her to be able to say that a settlement had been created for her and that she was, and would always be the only one born at that place. At her birth, Alicia V. Sawas was also written into the Tumbler Ridge records as the first child born in the Quintette area. Bullmoose Settlement was closed down after the reduction in mine activities with just the one birth.

In 1984, world coal prices were dropping and the Japanese consortium requested a reduction in the price of coal from the Tumbler Ridge mines. As price reduction requests continued, the concern over the viability of the mines led the BC Assessment Authority to lower the 1987 property assessments for the Quintette mine from CAD$156 million to $89 million and the Bullmoose mine $70 million to $43 million. This lowered their taxes as they tried to enforce the purchasing agreement at the Supreme Court of Canada. Their 1990 ruling required the Quintette Operations Company to reduce coal prices and reimburse the Japanese consortium $4.6 million. The company responded by reducing production, cutting employment, and applying for court protection from creditors. This allowed Teck to acquire 50% interest and take over management of the Quintette mine, but it was unable to stop further job losses. As most residents left town, apartment blocks were closed and the mine companies bought back all but 11 houses in the town. After 30% of the workforce had been laid off, new contracts with the Japanese consortium were signed in 1997, allowing re-hirings to begin, but with lower export levels. The North East Coal Development was projected to create a net benefit of CAD$0.9 billion (2000), but incurred a net loss of $2.8 billion and half the expected regional employment.

The population declined as many residents were unable to find other work in the town, even as a sawmill for specialty woods opened in 1999. After Teck closed the Quintette mine in August 2000 and shifted production to the lower cost Bullmoose mine, the town council established the Tumbler Ridge Revitalization Task Force to investigate ways to boost and diversify the economy. The Task Force negotiated the return of the housing stock from the mines to the free market, grants from the province to become debt-free, and stabilized funds from the province for healthcare and education. The discovery of dinosaur tracks in 2000 by two local boys while playing near a creek, led to major fossil and bone discoveries from the Cretaceous Period. To survey and study the finds, government funding was secured to found both the Tumbler Ridge Museum Foundation and Peace Region Palaeontology Research Centre.

Since the Bullmoose mine exhausted its supply of coal in 2003, world coal prices have increased making exploration and mining in Tumbler Ridge economically feasible again. Western Canadian Coal opened new open-pit mining operations creating the Dillon mine using Bullmoose mining infrastructure, the Brule mine using new infrastructure (projected 11-year life span), and the Wolverine mine. Despite the number of projects, population has been slow to return to the town.