• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Hachiko's Mitakihara Magi Dynasty

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

The Mystique of Arena Football

By Chino Kafuu

The Daily Magi
December 25, 2069

Arena football is a variety of gridiron football played by the Arena Football League (AFL). It used to be a proprietary game (the rights to which were owned by Gridiron Enterprises) but the patent expired in 2007. The game is played indoors on a smaller field than American or Canadian outdoor football, resulting in a faster and higher-scoring game. The sport was invented in 1981, and patented in 1987, by James F. Foster, Jr., a former executive of the National Football League and the United States Football League. Though not the only variant of Indoor American football, it is the most widely known, and the one on which most other forms of modern indoor football are at least partially based. Two leagues have played under the official arena football rules: the AFL, which played 22 seasons from 1987 to 2008 and resumed play under new ownership in 2010, and arenafootball2, the AFL's erstwhile developmental league, which played 10 seasons from 2000 through 2009.

While attending the Major Indoor Soccer League (MISL) All-Star game on February 11, 1981, at Madison Square Garden, Jim Foster came up with his version of football and wrote the rules and concepts down on the outside of a manilla folder, which resides at the Arena Football Hall of Fame. Over the next five years, he created a more comprehensive and definitive set of playing rules, playing field specifications and equipment, along with a business plan to launch a proposed small, initial league to test market the concept of arena football nationally. As a key part of that plan, while residing in the Chicago area, he tested the game concept through several closed door practice sessions in late 1985 and early 1986 in nearby Rockford. After fine tuning the rules, he then secured additional operating capital to play several test games in the MetroCentre in April 1986 and the Rosemont Horizon Arena in February 1987.

The next critical step for Jim Foster was securing a network television contract with ESPN and an initial group of key national corporate sponsors including United Airlines, Holiday Inn, Wilson Sporting Goods, Budget Rental Car, and Hardees Restaurants. As the league's founding commissioner, (1986–1992) he established a league office with a small staff in suburban Chicago, and with addition of some much needed additional investor capital, was ready to launch the Arena Football League. On June 19, 1987 the Pittsburgh Gladiators hosted the Washington Commandos in the first league game after a two-week training camp for all four charter teams in Wheaton, Illinois.

AFL football operations and training was overseen by veteran college and pro head coach, Mouse Davis, the father of the famed "run and shoot" offense, (which became the basis for the high scoring arena football offense still in use today). The other two 1987 teams were the Chicago Bruisers and the Denver Dynamite, (the ArenaBowl I Champions). As the AFL grew into an established league with close to 20 teams, it defined itself as a major market pro sports product and welcomed Commissioner C. David Baker, (1996–2008). A now-financially strong team ownership roster includes NFL owners, as well as major names in the entertainment world. The growth and establishment of the AFL as a major market league spawned a developmental league that Foster also helped co-found, a minor league called Arena Football 2 (af2), in 2000. The league was set up to operate in medium size markets around the U.S. where it has enjoyed continued growth under the guidance of af2 President, Jerry Kurz. Other people have started their own indoor football minor leagues. These leagues do not technically play arena football or use the proper name "Arena Football" which is a registered trademark, because of the patent on the rules (specifically for the rebound nets, and related rules) that Foster obtained in 1990 (which is actually held by Gridiron Enterprises, Inc. of which Foster is one of three partners). The other two partners are Chicago based lawyers Bill Niro and Jerry Kurz, who in early 1987 joined Foster to help secure the patents on the Arena Football game system and re-establish the Arena Football League in early 1990 as a franchised league after successfully removing a small group of limited partners for multiple breaches of the limited partnership agreement that was the basis for operating the AFL during the 1988 season. The patents expired in 2007.

Some AFL players have gone on to have successful careers in the NFL, most notably Kurt Warner. Warner played college football at University of Northern Iowa and then the Iowa Barnstormers, taking the Barnstormers to ArenaBowl X in 1996 and ArenaBowl XI in 1997. Tommy Maddox would revitalize his once-undistinguished NFL career with the AFL's New Jersey Red Dogs for one season before going on to the Los Angeles Xtreme of the XFL and eventually return to the NFL for five seasons, winning a Super Bowl ring before retiring. Others include Anthony Armstrong, Oronde Gadsden, Lincoln Coleman, Adrian McPherson, Rashied Davis, Jay Feely, Rob Bironas, Antonio Chatman, Mike Vanderjagt, and Paul Justin. Former Arena League MVP, Jay Gruden (brother of Jon Gruden), went on to coach the UFL team, Florida Tuskers, and is currently the head coach for the Washington Redskins. Although Eddie Brown, who would be voted in 2006 as the greatest player in AFL history, never played in the NFL, his son Antonio Brown was a starting receiver for the Pittsburgh Steelers and was voted to the Pro Bowl in 2011 and 2013.

Los Angeles Avengers player Al Lucas died, from a spinal cord injury, on April 10, 2005 in a game against the New York Dragons. Although it might be attributed to the rough style of arena football, the tackle, during a first quarter kickoff, was not very different from those in stadium-played American football. Lucas was 26 years old at the time. It is the only fatality in the history of the Arena Football League.

The only fatality in the history of af2 is Bakersfield Blitz FB / LB Julian Yearwood on July 19, 2003 during a game against the Wichita Stealth. Yearwood came out of the game in the first quarter after blocking a field goal attempt allegedly claiming that he wasn't well, collapsed, and was later pronounced dead at Via Christi St. Francis Hospital in Wichita after medical personnel worked to resuscitate him. As a result, the game was abandoned in the first quarter with a 7-7 score. Both teams were credited with a tie in the standings.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

New album from Mitakihara Ultimate Pep Band!

By Chino Kafuu
The Daily Magi
January 1, 2070

To start off the new year, the Mitakihara University Ultimate Pep Band—which is now under the direction of Dr. Francine "Fran" Tremblay, the new Mitakihara University Director of Bands effective today—released a new album entitled "Days," the final album under the stewardship of Dr. Alex Cochran-Pierce, who has been chosen to become the new Director of Bands for Millbrook University, a new four-year research university in northern Alabama that will be fielding a football team in Division I FCS as a member of the Southern Conference.

"Days is a collection of covers from music of a golf game called Pangya," said the 28-year old Dr. Fran, as she is called. Dr. Fran is a New Democratic Party voter and her big sister, Helene, is an MP for the riding of Mitakihara Town representing the NDP. "The game has endured through decades of improvements and compromises to become a game that is fun to play and never stops being challenging in its own right.

"We wanted to capture the essence of playing on this island called Pangya Island by giving our interpretations of the music from this game. It makes for easy listening and has a soothing feel definitive of the Mitakihara Sound. We encourage all patrons of our musical and vocal ensembles to purchase this album and add it to their collection."

"Days" is out on iTunes for $19.99 CAN. All proceeds will go to benefit the Kajiura College of the Arts endowment fund.

Track List:

1. Zero Fill Love/Madoka Is A State Of Mind
2. Daydream
3. A Shiny Day
4. Breeze
5. Spring
6. Frog
7. Crystal Lake
8. Bunny Picnic
9. Crystal Waver
10. Dive Into Volcano
11. Fade Into White
12. Somewhere
13. Nowhere
14. Happy Flight
15. Navy Blue Memory
16. Rising Sun
17. MUTE
18. Grand Skyscraper
19. Silvia Cannon
20. Snowscape
21. A Day In The Wiz City
22. Beautiful Ruins
23. Skyrider
24. The Mystery of the Lost Seaway
25. Winter Ride
26. Starlight
27. Voyage The Sky
28. Vermillion Sunset
29. Revive
30. Cyan Sunset
31. Fly Away/Your Sky
32. Secret Wish (with Mitakihara University Philharmonic)

Last edited:

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
EYEWITNESS ACCOUNT: January 2, 2069

By Chino Kafuu
The Daily Magi
January 2, 2069

A graduate of Geargia Tech in 2049, Millbrook University Athletic Director Jonathan Kilpatrick was also the head coach of the Cherokee football team, who were busy on the recruiting trail assembling their roster. They made deep strides to look for players in the South, but were restricted to snapping up players in Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia.

The Cherokees were slated to begin their inaugural season as a member of the Southern Conference and were picked to finish in the middle as a result of aggressive recruiting tactics from offensive coordinator Jose Luis "Chelis" Del Santo, a former Mitakihara center, and defensive coordinator Steele Ainsworth, a former defensive tackle for the Magi. When Coach Chelis and Coach Ainsworth interviewed for the positions, one of the questions asked was what their alma mater was. When Jonathan realized that their alma mater was Madoka, he had to make a trip to Canada to visit Coach Kaname before he rejoined the team down in Pasadena for the BCS Championship Game.

"Um, Tatsuya?" asked Mitakihara Athletic Director Shizuku Minami at his office at Hakurei Centre.
"Yeah, what is it?"
"There's someone waiting for you in the lobby."
"All right, let's see who it is. I have all day to tie up loose ends before I have to head to Cali." He got up from his desk and walked over.
"Are you Coach Tatsuya Kaname?" asked a fine gentleman with slicked back hair and a slim, if unchiseled, frame.
"Yes, that's me, you're looking at him."
"I am so honored to meet you. My name is Jonathan Kilpatrick. I am the athletic director at Millbrook University in Alabama and the head coach of the Cherokees football team. We're a new program that will start playing next season in the SoCon."
"I see. Well, tell you what, Jonny, let's talk away from this campus. I know a place where we can discuss important matters. Follow me to my van."

---OOO---​

"A couple of your former players are on my coaching staff. They referred me to you," Jonny said as Tatsuya drove the two of them to the private estate of the newly-renamed Homulilly Society/Societe Homulille, the co-ed honor society that protected the traditions and history of Mitakihara University.
"Who are they?"
"Chelis Del Santo and Steele Ainsworth."
"I remember those two from the mid-2040s. I was reaching my coaching prime back then, even though I still looked a bit young."
"Anyway, where are we going?"
"We're heading down the highway to Tofino, which is a coastal town here on the island. It's the Malibu of Canada. There is a mansion in the city that belongs to the University, in which I have access to because, you know..."
"All those national championships make you a VIP, huh?"
"Well, I am pretty well-known around these parts, no question about it," Tatsuya said with a chuckle. Two hours later, they arrived. "Here we are. The Homulilly Mansion at the Spider Lily Country Club."
"Whoa. This place is huge."
"Isn't it? All right..." Tatsuya pressed a button.
"Hello, who is this?" asked a familiar voice.
"Homura, is that you?"
"Takkun, what are doing here? Shouldn't you be preparing for the National Championship in Pasadena?"
"I'm not needed until tomorrow night. The rest of the team and coaches flew ahead of me. I have a guest here that wants to talk some serious business regarding our schedule."
"Hasn't that already been determined?"
"Not quite. There is one more hole to fill. Can you let us in?"
"Sure thing, honey."
"So that's your wife?" asked Jonny as the van rolled into the parking lot. The two of them got off the van to make the long walk down the pathway to the mansion, overlooking the golf course.
"One of my five wonderful wives. I have five: Madoka, Homura, Mami, Sayaka and Kyouko. Madoka is the founder of the university and she is also my sister by blood."
"How can you have a sister for a wife?" Jonny exclaimed. "How is that possible!?"
"In this country, anything is possible. It's our way of showing how progressive we are compared to our Commonwealth sisters to the south."
"If you say so."
The door opened. "Takkun!" exclaimed Homura, dressed in a black blouse and beige slacks with gray pumps.
"Homura! Come here, baby! Mmmm..." The two of them embraced.
"And is this our guest?"
"Greetings, Ms. Homura Akemi. My name is Jonathan Kilpatrick, Millbrook University Athletic Director and Cherokee Football Head Coach. A pleasure to meet you."
"Hello, young man. I'm Homura Akemi, the co-founder of Mitakihara University and a former administrator and assistant coach for the football team during its infancy. Oh yes, and an Olympic champion too. Come inside, it's a bit cold."
"Yes, ma'am," Jonny said. As the three of them walked in, a plethora of cute college students dressed in funeral dresses, barefoot to boot.
"Okaerinasai, goshujin-sama!" said the girls.
"Whoa," Jonny said, almost gaining a nosebleed.
"Very nice, ladies. Homura, why aren't they wearing the maid outfits?" asked Tatsuya.
"Dry cleaners," Homura replied. "So they have to wear the Society uniform. The outfit I personally designed."
"Is this your personal harem or something?" asked Jonny, still shivering through his cat-faced smile.
"Even better. These are members of the Homulilly Society that are going through training from my wife Homura, correct?"
"Correct," she said.
"There we go. Well, ladies, we have an esteemed guest from Alabama here with us. His name is Jonny Kilpatrick, and he represents Millbrook University."
"Irrashaimase, @JaySeeKay-sama!" the girls squealed, posing like cats, looking disgustingly adorable on the side.
"Oh man, ooooooh!" Jonny said, gaining a nosebleed while getting wet down there. "I came." The girls giggled, knowing he got a boner to boot.
"Are't they special, Jonny boy. Well, ahem, ladies, go ahead and prepare a meal for me, Homura and Jonny. Give this lad some of the finest wagyu with steak fries, as well as balsamic vinegar salad, a compote, a Nanaimo bar and coffee."
"Gee, thanks," Jonny said, laughing hesitantly.
"What about you?" Homura asked Tatsuya.
"As for me ladies...make me a sandwich."
"HAI!" the girls said, bowing, then skipping off to the kitchen to make lunch. Tatsuya would get a homemade A&W Teen Burger with seasoned shoestring fries and sun tea with guarana.
"Let's head over to the dining hall, follow me."
"I'll overlook the ladies," Homura said, walking over to the kitchen to rejoin the girls.

---OOO---​

"This is a big dining hall," said Jonny, taking a seat. In the background, various JPop tunes were playing in the backgyround. "What's that portrait behind you, it's huge!"
"Ah, this?" Tatsuya chuckled. "This is a painting of me surrounded by two of my wonderful wives. Homura to my left in her goddess form, and Madoka to my right, also in her goddess form. I am wearing my sweater vest and khakis with trucker hat, holding a football and looking like a man of men."
"Larger than life, huh?"
"It was commissioned by T.A. Hess, who is not only a songwriter, but a really good painter. T.A. was a former student who composed one of our fight songs, the Mighty Magi."
"That sounds like Greater Western Sydney's song..."
"That's because it is. We borrowed the melody and adapted it as one of our songs. Your new marching band director, Alex, used to work for us just days ago. Did you know that?"
"I don't pay too much attention to the band, but that's, I guess, another reason why I am here. Anyway, let's cut to the chase before...oh, our food's here! Whoa." All the dishes were cooked to order. Jonny took a slice of the wagyu steak. "This takes like heaven!"
"YAAAAY!" exclaimed the Homulilly girls in their funeral dresses, hugging each other before group hugging Jonny, causing him to come some more.
"At this rate, all of my all will be out of me...is this real life!?"
"It is," Tatsuya said, striking the Gendo Ikari look, but with an air of smugness. Homura, who was wearing glasses, adjusted her frames so that the lenses had an opaque glint.
Minutes after they finished their meal, Jonny cut to the chase. "Coach Kaname..."
"Just call me Tatsuya, Jonny. Formalities are for sheeple and lizards. Right?"
"Thanks, Tatsuya. Anyway, is there room for my team to be on your schedule?"
"Oh? Why would you schedule us? You're only a new team."
"I want my players to understand the standard of play that they need to play at if they want to win a national championship at the FCS level."
"You realize you'll be lucky to put up a fight against us, right?"
"That doesn't matter!" Jonny got up, walked over to Tatsuya and fell to his knees, bowing like a criminal condemned to death, praying for clemency, the tears streaming down his face. "Please! I beg you! Make us your Homecoming opponent for 2070!" Jonny screamed in Japanese with a Kansai accent.
"Yare yare, the Tokugawa shogunate ended centuries ago, get up you baby." Jonny returned to his seat. "Tell you what I'll do. I'll make the recommendation to the schedule team and if they approve it, you're on the schedule. Generally they approve all recommendations by me, but given that you're a new program, this may be up for discussion. For now, consider yourself on the schedule. And we'll finance your trip and accomodations because our endowment's a jizillion times richer than Donald Sterling in his prime. Got it?"
"Thank you based Tatsuya!" Jonny said, giving the old man a hug while still sobbing.
"Awwwwwww," sighed the Homulilly girls, blushing.
"Guess that takes care of that," Homura said, dealing out a Gallic shrug. In a few weeks, following the national championship game, the 2070 Mitakihara Magi schedule would be finalized.

Last edited:

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Mitakihara win 56th National Championship

By Chino Kafuu
The Daily Magi
January 6, 2070

"All season, we have been preparing for this moment," said Mitakihara Magi head football coach Tatsuya Kaname to his players before they took the field at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, Calif. "You've spent your entire lives preparing for this one day where you get a chance to win a national championship. For many, this doesn't come around that often, if ever. Now you get a chance to become one with the many greats that have played for Madoka and won it all. It's time for you to defend this Pentagram."

And that is what the Magi did, using an effective running game with a little bit of the pass mixed in to give Mitakihara a 118-24 victory over the Brigham Young Cougars, giving the Best College Football Team in All of College Football its 56th National Championship. Quarterback Terry Miyanaga passed for 252 yards and three touchdowns while rushing for 331 yards and five more scores to lead the Magi.

"This is my last game as a member of this team and I wanted to leave my mark in a big way," Terry said, holding back tears. "I dedicate this to my dad Terry Sr., and my grandma Teru, who is with me today. Grandma was overjoyed to see that I did it. I wanted to make her proud and I gave her the game ball.

"Anyway, this is a really talented group of guys that did the job. My cousins, Danny and Sonny, also did their part to help the cause and they were really good on defense. So I tip my hat out to my cousins for being great teammates today. They were fantastic."

"I knew that Terry was going to have a big game, so I needed to have a big game too," said Danny, who led the defense in tackles with 24 to go with three sacks. "Coach told me that stopping the run is essential because BYU then was forced to go to the pass, and then we got going with the pass rush. All our guys were on the ball today on defense. I don't think you can find a defense as good as we have been all season. We know what we need to do, and we work as a team to do it. I think this was a great way to go out."

Halfback Jansen Onjouji ran for 434 yards and six touchdowns while his successor, halfback Joe Sato, ran for 71 yards and two scores. Wide receiver Steve Takakamo caught two passes for 55 yards and a touchdown while wideout Shane Balogun had four receptions for 49 yards. Wideout Will Atsu had 23 pancakes while Takakamo added 22 pancakes. Wideout George Griffin and center Arturs Virsaladze had 12 pancakes.

On defense, left end Ken Atago had nine tackles and three sacks while left outside linebacker Joey Agyemang Badu had eight tackles and four sacks. Cornerbacks Alvin Chibsah and Marlon Boakye each had an interception, while right end Harry Atago and left end Lex Hasegawa each had two sacks.

"What an unbelievable season I've had," said Onjouji after the game. Onjouji is scheduled to graduate with a degree in kinesiology this spring. "I win the Heisman for the second time, and I win my fourth national championship. Never lost a game, never saw a game go into OT. I have to say that I made the right decision to play for the Magi. I hope that I can continue my playing career in the pros but I want to finish my degree first. In the meantime, we're gonna celebrate this victory, and then we're heading home tomorrow. We did it!"

Mitakihara finish their season at 13-0.

Last edited:

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
New records set for Coach Tatsuya Kaname

By Chino Kafuu

The Daily Magi
January 10, 2070

A number of new records were set by Mitakihara Magi head football coach Tatsuya Kaname following the team's 118-24 victory over the Brigham Young Cougars in the 2070 BCS National Championship Game in Pasadena, Calif. Coach Kaname has the records for longest win streak, national titles, bowl victories, career victories, bowl appearances, games coached, and years at a school.

"I am now closing in on my 60th season coaching this team and quite frankly, I'd like my time to continue just a while longer," said Coach Kaname from his home in Mitakihara Town. "I am really proud of the players for doing what they need to do to win games with style, and next season, our coaching staff will make sure the next group of players do their part to keep the ball rolling in our direction."

The 2070 Mitakihara Magi Football Schedule is being finalized by the Schedule Team. One thing is for sure: the Millbrook University Cherokees, of the NCAA Division I FCS Southern Conference, have been selected as their Homecoming opponent. Also, the Missouri Tigers have agreed to become a road opponent next season.

Tatsuya Kaname
Coaching Career - Longest Win Streak 532
Coaching Career - National Titles 56
Coaching Career - Bowl Victories 58
Coaching Career - Career Victories 786
Coaching Career - Bowl Appearances 58
Coaching Career - Games Coached 793
Coaching Career - Years at a School 59

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

Tatsuya Kaname, the longtime head coach of the Mitakihara Magi.

Tatsuya Kaname: Of Fish Soup, Noodles and A Long Life

By Uzuki Shimamura
The Daily Magi
January 16, 2070

7 a.m. PT in Mitakihara Town, British Columbia. At the home of Mitakihara Magi head football coach Tatsuya Kaname, the greatest head football coach in history gives a simple broth a simmer. He takes dried bonito flakes and shrimp stock, tosses in a hefty bunch of egg noodles and then throws in a plethora of other hearty ingredients, such as green onions, imitation crab, salmon, char siu pork, SPAM Oven Roasted Turkey, Portuguese sausage and seaweed.

"The native Hawaiians call this dish saimin," explains Coach Kaname as he tucked into a bowl with the other residents of the house, all of who helped mold the university for years: Dr. Madoka Kaname, Dr. Homura Akemi, Mami Tomoe, Sayaka Miki, Nagisa Momoe and Kyouko Sakura. "Today I have been called on to prepare breakfast. Good thing that I am leaving the football operations to the coaching staff today, so I can actually visit the town like a regular pensioner."

Indeed, Coach Kaname would be eligible for benefits as a pensioner, just like his five wonderful wives, as he likes to call them. But he has no intentions of retiring from his work at the University, at least not now. Inside the house, a few cats are sleeping, as are a few Clara dolls, one with a nose bubble sticking out of its face while asleep.

8 a.m. arrives, and Coach Kaname is off to do shopping at the Lawson Station with Dr. Kaname and Dr. Akemi for three hours before settling for lunch at McGann's after dropping the goods home. Where are all the trophies and accolades? They are all in the Mitakihara Athletics Hall of Fame, glistening behind walls and walls of glass cases. You won't see them at Coach Kaname's house or even in his office, which is full of books about the best coaching practices for football teams and other sports teams.

"I've mellowed out in recent years," Coach Kaname said over lunch, eating a new addition to the menu, the footlong Gatsby sandwich, a staple of South African cuisine, made with real wagyu. "I have decided that those who transfer can return to campus to pursue another degree, if they so wish, and they will be welcomed back. I have decided to personally repatriate former players who want to come back. What is the point in disowning those who want to exercise their freedom of choice? So that's that."

The afternoon falls, and Coach Kaname returns home to cook dinner with the others. It is now 6 p.m. PT. While a quaint dinner of budae jjigae with extra gochujang is being served, he checks the messages on his smartphone to answer questions from some members of his coaching staff. Soon, the day will come when one or both of the coordinators will have to be replaced by a position coach, as has been the custom for many, many years. As for Nagisa, a generous wedge of Stilton keeps her hunger at bay.

Outside of football, Coach Kaname lives the life of a wise old grandfather, in the company of his partners, with memories of his children and grandchildren keeping the bloodline alive. Besides coaching the game, Coach Kaname has taken up playing golf, fishing and jogging with a number of old friends from the Men About Town. He holds lifetime membership with the Mitakihara Town Yacht Club and the Mitakihara Town Sports Club and will pass it on to his second son, Shiroyuki, once he graduates from the university.

"The day will come when I will have to take the big elevator to the place in the sky with the others, and soon this house will be taken over by my son or maybe one of my daughters," Coach Kaname said. "It won't happen now, but I know that it will happen soon. That's why I eat plenty of saimin with extra salmon and noodles, while exercising my body and mind so that I can continue to answer the question: why am I here? I keep looking for the answer every day. The important thing in finding the meaning to all things is not to find the answer itself, but to embrace the journey to find it."

Last edited:

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

Madoka Kaname and Homura Akemi, in their younger years.

Harutora Tsuchimikado named new Magi defensive coordinator

By Uzuki Shimamura
The Daily Magi
January 23, 2070

The revolving door of coaches at Mitakihara University continued, with defensive coordinator Darren Kujou accepting the head coaching position at West Virginia. As a result, defensive line coach Harutora Tsuchimikado, after nine seasons as a positions coach, will now become the next defensive coordinator of the Magi. Defensive tackle Kent Nanase, who was not picked in the NFL Draft, has also forgone a career in the CFL to immediately go into coaching. Nanase was named the defensive line coach today.

"Wow, I can't believe that I'm now in my 30s, and I get to take advantage of this big opportunity at Mitakihara as the defensive coordinator," Coach Tsuchi, as he is called, said at a press conference at Hakurei Centre. "I worked tirelessly to make our defensive line one of the best in the game today, and now, I get an opportunity to spread my leadership skills to the entire defense.

"We're going to keep forcing turnovers and make big plays from our linemen, our linebackers and our secondary. We need to increase our takeaways, while stopping the run and rushing the pass. My years of experience will pay off, I promise you that."

"It's a thrill to finally be an assistant coach after spending a career playing as a member of the Magi," said Coach Nanase after being introduced. "Some of the guys I will coach will have been my former teammates, and as the youngest of all the members of the coaching staff, you will see a really enthusiastic personality on the sidelines next Fall. I'm ready to get to work."

Last edited:

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Magi Football Coaching Staff (2070)
Head Coach: Tatsuya Kaname
Offensive Coord.: Takumu Mayuzumi
Quarterbacks: Rajiv Singh
Running Backs: Kohei Miyahara
Receivers: Dee Dee Sonoda
Offensive Line: Andrew Coley Farina
Defensive Coordinator: Harutora Tsuchimikado
Defensive Line: Kent Nanase
Linebackers: Jeff Nakazawa
Secondary: Gene Mitaka
Special Teams: Ronnie Hinchcliffe
Graduate Assistant: Caleb Brown
Recruiting Coordinator: Seara August

Tatsuya Kaname became a Coach Level 54 in 2022. He became a Coach Level 27 in Recruiting in 2019 and a Coach Level 27 in Game Management in 2022.

Magi Sprint Football Coaching Staff (2070)
Head Coach: Dominique Wright
Offensive Coordinator: Sam Tremblay
Quarterbacks: Ricky Cojuangco
Running Backs: Lance Williams
Receivers: Makoto Yasaka
Offensive Line: Brian Dobbin
Defensive Coord.: Thomas Pittman
Defensive Line: Sean Yamashita
Linebackers: Keith Onazi
Secondary: Trevon Miller
Special Teams: Yoshino Kousaka
Graduate Assistant: Anthony Rucker

Team Doctor: Shizuku Oikawa, M.D.
Athletic Director: Shizuku Minami

Chancellor: Honoka Kaname
Vice-Chancellor: Hozuki Ferrari
Provosts: Akiho Senomiya (Mitakihara),
Chisaki Hiradaira (Leafa College),
Satone Shichimiya (Japan Campus),
Fernandia Malvezzi
(Mitakihara-Squamish)
Visitor: Rt. Hon. Shiki Ichinose-Marlowe, Premier of British Columbia

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

Chacha Hasegawa, Rex Hasegawa's wife, as the Magical Princess.

EYEWITNESS ACCOUNT: In Rex Hasegawa's words

By Rex Hasegawa

Special to The Daily Magi
August 24, 2070

My name is Rex Hasegawa. I am a senior right end for Tatsuya Kaname's Mitakihara Magi, who are set to begin their 60th season of football. You know, my mom was a twinkle in my grandma's eyes when Madoka first began playing. My grandfather, Kodaka, was the original defensive line coach and his wife, my grandma Sena, was the most gorgeous looking woman you would ever see in her prime. They passed away last year, but my grand-aunt, Kobato is still with us.

One thing about us Hasegawas is that we are generally a family of blondes. The only brunette in our family is my sister-in-law Kokoa, who is a member of the Schedule Team and is wrapping up school as well. But my wife, Chacha, is also a blonde. She is resurrected form of Little Red Riding Hood, but she escaped the usual comings and goings of her own world, which are parts unknown to me, to start anew in Canada. On occassions, Chacha likes to cosplay as this mysterious, powerful, dashing heroine called the Magical Princess. She told me about the story behind it, and her powers are actually real. So not only is Chacha my wife, she is also my personal bodyguard. She hasn't had to use her weapons on anyone and usually she only dresses for show. But just in case, she's at the ready.

Chacha's also a great athlete. She's a champion swimmer, does occasional archery, but competes on the women's water polo team and the swim/dive team. She's won a number of individual medals and national titles, and she's a highly-skilled 2-meter. Sometimes I swim with her to the waters off Tofino or the waters in the strait of Georgia just to get away from all the worries going on at the University.

Chacha is also very smart. She was named an Academic All-Canadian the past three years and she is a liberal arts major because she has no idea what job she wants after she graduates. I see her working as an admin assistant for some local nonprofit, but she also told me that she wants to swim professionally and compete for Japan at the 2072 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles. I told her, "Train hard, don't dope, use your own strength to take down the walls of adversity." She always listens to everything I say, and I listen to her as well.

She also told me, "I can give up my Olympic dream, if I want to, if only to be with you, my beloved husband." You see, Chacha and I have been married since freshman year, and just last week, while talking over tea and toast, I told her, "Chacha Hasegawa, when I win this national championship, I want you to be a mother. I want you to give birth to wonderful children that will add to the legacy of this family. In dreams, my grandparents have been telling me that I need to experience being a Dad. My father Dax has been talking to me about it too. He's been talking about it with my brother Lex and Kokoa." And she promised me that we would have kids when we graduated.

She protects me with her life, Chacha does. I want her to know that I will do everything I can to make us happy and to see the end of the century together. She wants to see it. She wants our children to see it. She wants my grandparents to see it in spirit, and I believe her. So, no matter what happens to my boys on the field this year, when I have Chacha as my wife, I will never lose in the game of life. She will forever be a part of me, as I am a part of her.

I am now ready for the 2070 college football season to begin. You Are Not Alone.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
10 Safeties for Madoka in 252-21 rout of Mizzou

By Uzuki Shimamura
The Daily Magi

August 30, 2070

A classic tune from decades ago was blaring on the Mitakihara Magi team bus: "Ooh Aah Just A Little Bit," made famous by the late Dame Gina Gardner, a.k.a. Gina G. Only this time, the sound was updated to be a bit more crisper, and smoother and relevant to the current decade. Actually, it was sung by Rex Hasegawa's wife Chacha on a recording at the Kajiura College of Arts that was produced by Rex, who is a music major.

The players were nodding to the music and it got them going. The mission: get at least six safeties. They bettered that and had 10 as Tatsuya Kaname's Magi football team obliterated the Missouri Tigers, 252-21, at Faurot Field in Columbia, Mo. After the match, a rather smug Tatsuya Kaname addressed the media.

"Well that felt absolutely fantastic," Coach Kaname said after the game. "I promised you all last year we'd ring up six safeties on Missouri and we ended up scoring a perfect 10. That's even better. Our pass rush really made everything click, and the boys really wanted to get on my good side today.

"Many of the returning players, I think, were quite pissed at giving up safeties at home to Missouri for three straight home meeting that they wanted to chase the Tigers out of their own stadium. I only wanted six, but I suppose getting a few extra is just icing on the cake. We're going to enjoy this victory but it's the start of a long season and the boys will need to take this one day at a time."

Mitakihara improve to 1-0 and travel to Athens, Ga. to face the Georgia Bulldogs next week.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

The Decline of Fast Food in Mitakihara Town

By Uzuki Shimamura
The Daily Magi
September 2, 2070

The decline of fast food in Mitakihara Town, British Columbia has been long documented. Two decades ago, a number of McDonald's restaurants shut down due to a lack on interest, despite the low prices for the food. In time, a number of national and global chains shut down their operations in Mitakihara, and in turn a wave of restaurants serving real food at real prices proliferated. Consequently, as the standard of living and quality of life improved in the city, so have the prices for food and drink.

Many have opted to beat the restaurant prices by going to supermarkets dotted all over the town. There are at least 40 supermarkets in Mitakihara Town, the most popular being Lawson Station in Madoka Square. Jens Bigelow, a member of the Simon Fraser Class of 2048 and a cashier at the Loblaw Superstore in midtown Mitakihara, says that the traffic is huge on the weekends as people purchase fresh ingredients to prepare at home.

"Fast food is definitely on the decline because people are eating healthier and people aren't as tolerant of excess fat, sugar and salt," Bigelow said. His daughter, Maria, is a freshman health ethics major at Mitakihara University and has plans to pursue a career as a yoga instructor. "My daughter has been eating healthy, just like me. We never see a fast food restaurant where I am, and it's a breath of fresh air.

"In other cities, like Vancouver and Victoria, there are some fast food restaurants that do exist, and it's unfortunate that they are still around. But here in M-Town, it's a whole lot different. Real food restaurants outnumber fast food joints by an alleged number of one marzillion to one. That's a huge ratio, and it's a testament to the will of us folks to avoid overconsumption of fat, sugar and salt.

"I hope this trend continues and people continue to value the importance of eating healthy. It's great to know that people in this city value their health and well being. The importance of wellness is the primary reason why she plans to be a yoga instructor. I hope she goes on to a successful career. Maybe I can go into management at my store."

However, there is one restaurant that refuses to close down, and that's the A&W Burger located in Mitakihara Town. As the only legitimate fast food restaurant remaining, the lack of competition from rival chains makes it one of the most popular restaurants in the city due to its low prices and wholesome food. And every real food outlet in the city still serves poutine.

"There are still a ways to go, but progress is progress," said Bigelow. "We can't get rid of all of the fast food restaurants because of the big picture, but the fact that the collective diet of this city is moderated Mediterranean style is a giant step in the right direction."

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
2000px-No_Frills_Logo_svg.png

The Mystique of No Frills

By Uzuki Shimamura
The Daily Magi
September 4, 2070

No Frills (corporately styled nofrills) is a chain of deep discount supermarkets in Canada, owned by Loblaw Companies Limited, a subsidiary of George Weston Limited. There are over 200 franchise stores located in eight Canadian provinces – Ontario, Alberta, British Columbia, Saskatchewan, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland and Labrador.

The first No Frills store – a converted Loblaws outlet previously slated for closure – was launched in East York, Toronto, on July 5, 1978. While it offered a very limited range of goods and only the most basic customer service, the store promoted discount prices. The opening of the prototype outlet coincided with a period of rising inflation rates and consumer complaints regarding the high price of food. Similar limited variety supermarkets had been in operation in Europe for a number of years and in some countries had captured significant market share.

Months earlier, Loblaw had successfully launched a line of generic products called "No Name" that consisted of 16 unbranded items in very basic yellow and black packaging. The new line was promoted as offering savings of between 10 and 40 percent over comparable national brands. As No Name sales exceeded the company’s own projections, Loblaws Supermarkets president Dave Nichol predicted the day when “limited line stores” would offer a complete assortment of No Name groceries While the first No Frills (originally branded no frills) featured the new generic product line, most items were still national brands. Though the European model typically offered dry goods, Loblaw promoted “fresh produce at the lowest possible price” as a way of attracting customers.

In order to reduce costs as much as possible, No Frills customers had to forego some of the conveniences that North American supermarket shoppers had come to expect. Customers were required to pack their own groceries as well as bring their own shopping bags or pay three cents for each. The prototype store had only four checkout counters and operated on a “low labour” principle of minimal staffing. Product displays were purely functional with items left in their cardboard boxes with the front cut away. Produce, normally washed and stacked, was left unwashed in its shipping carton. The original store did not offer fresh meat since refrigeration units had been removed in order to cut costs and instead of the 8,000 items normally carried by the average supermarket only 500 were available, usually represented by one brand and in only one size. Instead of each item individually marked, prices were displayed overhead and customers provided with a price list. Cashiers, who underwent three weeks of training, were required to memorize all prices throughout the store. Meanwhile, Loblaws president Dave Nichol promoted the minimalism of the new operations as a way to save money in a difficult economy. “We took all the frills out. We think Canadians are ready for a little belt tightening.”

In spite of the limited product selection and minimal customer service, the first No Frills store, which advertised “the lowest overall food prices in Toronto”, proved successful from the initial launch. Opening day drew more shoppers than the store could handle:

“The rush never stopped,” Robert St. Jean, eastern Ontario division manager said in an interview. “We had to close the doors at 10:30 this morning and let people in as other people left,” he said, giggling with excitement as cash registers rang in the background. “We’re really excited about it... really excited,” he said from the store’s second floor at Victoria Park and St. Clair Avenues."
While some first day customers complained about the added inconveniences, most said they didn't mind and were pleased with the money they saved:

Some customers balked at having to pay three cents for each grocery bag and having to pack their own groceries, but most said they didn't mind the extra work. Frank Atlas who lives near the store at Victoria Park and St. Clair avenues, said he would pack all the groceries "to save a few nickels. It doesn't bother me a bit. I've saved a couple of dollars with this order," he said, pointing to three larges boxes of groceries.
With the successful launch of the prototype store, Loblaw began converting a number of its older, more marginal outlets to the new discount format. Within a few months, the company had three No Frills stores in operation in Toronto and area.

During the 1980s, the chain expanded beyond the greater Toronto area. By 1988, there were 19 No Frills stores located in Ontario." A year earlier, Loblaw began converting the outlets from company owned stores to franchise operations. The number of stores more than doubled to 48 by 1994. By the late 1990s, that number had increased to 79 outlets. The new franchise operations typically displayed the name of the owner, such as "Joe’s nofrills" or "Derek’s nofrills". While most No Frills stores were former Loblaws locations, the company also acquired some outlets including three former Knob Hill Farm supermarkets in Toronto, after that chain closed all of its stores in 2001 in the face of increasing competition.

In 2007, Loblaw began expanding No Frills beyond Ontario into Western Canada. The franchise currently has 26 stores throughout Alberta, British Columbia and Saskatchewan. The chain also has seven outlets in Atlantic Canada.

Today's No Frills stores are much more like conventional supermarkets but continue to feature deep discount prices. Items are no longer left in their cardboard shipping boxes but are arranged on store shelves and produce is conventionally displayed. While the original No Frills outlets stocked only the most basic products, today’s stores offer a wide array of items and brands that include Loblaw’s own private or ‘control label’ products. No Name, which is still heavily featured, has expanded from the original 16 items to more than 2,900 and the company’s premium "President's Choice" line is readily available on store shelves. The range of services has also expanded with some outlets that offer fresh meat and fish counters. Frozen food sections, excluded from the original stores due to the cost of refrigeration, are now standard. Other features remain unchanged, though, with No Frills customers still required to pack their own groceries and bring their own shopping bags or pay 5 cents per bag.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Mitakihara slog through Georgia in the rain, 83-42

By Uzuki Shimamura
The Daily Magi
September 7, 2070

Quarterback Russ Opare passed for 118 yards and ran for 395 yards and five more scores as Tatsuya Kaname's Mitakihara Magi defeated the Georgia Bulldogs in the rain, 83-42, at Sanford Stadium in Athens, Ga. Halfback Joe Sato ran for 257 yards and three touchdowns and halfback Drew Childs ran for 167 yards and two more scores to lead the Magi rushing attack. Sato also led all receivers with six catches for 38 yards.

Wide receiver Chris Babatunde led the blockers with 27 pancakes while wideout Will Atsu had 26 pancakes and wideout Larry Igiebor had 12. Cornerback Alvin Chibsah led the defense with 12 tackles, while middle linebacker Ernest Macklin, cornerback Marlon Boakye and strong safety Shiroyuki Kaname each had an interception. Right end Rex Hasegawa and left end Lex Hasegawa each had three sacks while left end Jamaal Taha had two sacks.

"Our pass rush was on the money and that's what you need to have the edge over your opponents in wet conditions like this," Coach Kaname said. "We decided to keep the gameplan simple and throw sparingly because of the rain. Russ, Joe and Drew did a great job running the ball and I think we will continue to focus on this gameplan for the next few weeks."

Mitakihara improve to 2-0 and travel to Pasadena, Calif. next week to take on the UCLA Bruins.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

The Mystique of Couche-Tard

By Uzuki Shimamura

The Daily Magi
September 10, 2070

Alimentation Couche-Tard Inc. or simply Couche-Tard is one of the largest company-owned convenience store operators in the world with more than 13,000 stores across Canada, the United States, Europe, Mexico, Japan, China, and Indonesia. The company operates its corporate stores under mainly Couche-Tard, Mac's, Circle K, On the Run and also under the affiliated brands 7-jours, Dairy Mart, Daisy Mart and Winks.

The flagship Couche-Tard and Mac's stores, as well as some older Winks outlets, prominently feature a distinctive anthropomorphic red, winking owl. This mascot of a "night owl" (couche-tard in French) was inherited from the Provi-Soir/Winks chain when it was absorbed. Founded by the late president and CEO Alain Bouchard, the corporation is based in Laval, Quebec, Canada, a suburb of Montreal.

There are 581 corporate stores in Quebec under the names Couche-Tard, Provi-Soir and Dépanneur 7 jours (acquired from Metro Inc.), as well as 298 affiliated stores such as Tabatou. In Ontario, there are 605 corporate stores and 214 affiliated stores, and in Western Canada, 295 corporate stores and 71 affiliates operated under the names Mac's, Mike's Mart, Becker's, Daisy Mart, and Winks.

The chain's current status in Quebec is the result of the consolidation of several major convenience store chains in the province during the 1990s. In 1994, Couche-Tard, already a significant convenience-store operator in Quebec, acquired the La Maisonnée (from steinberg) and Perrette(fr) chains, as well as Mac's stores in Quebec. The combined chain was subsequently rebranded "Dépan-Escompte Couche-Tard". To better reflect the new Depan-Escompte Couche-Tard trademark, a piggy bank mascot was introduced and replaced the previous Couche-Tard sleepwalker mascot from the late 1980s and early 1990s. In 1996, the chain added the Provi-Soir chain previously owned by Provigo and maintained it as a distinct division. In 1998, Dépan-Escompte Couche-Tard and Provi-Soir stores merged to create the chain in its current form; reverting to the old Couche-Tard name (without "Dépan-Escompte"), but adopting the owl mascot of Provi-Soir.

Similarly, Silcorp had consolidated several of the largest Ontario convenience-store chains, such as Mac's and Becker's, under its ownership before being itself acquired by Couche-Tard, which had previously acquired Winks as part of its purchase of Provi-Soir, in 1999. As in Quebec, other corporate banners such as Becker's and Mike's Mart are slowly being phased out in favour of the dominant Mac's brand, although new franchised stores are still being opened under the Winks and Daisy Mart brands.

After making some tentative moves in the U.S. under the Mac's brand in the early 2000s, Couche-Tard acquired the Circle K chain from ConocoPhillips in 2003, promptly rebranding its existing U.S. locations to the better-known Circle K moniker. The Circle K brand is also franchised in Asia and elsewhere. Couche-Tard has held the master franchise for Dunkin' Donuts in Quebec since August 2003, but agreed in August 2008 to terminate this franchise within 12 to 18 months.

Many Couche-Tard locations are gas stations co-branded with Irving Oil. The first stage of this partnership began in 2001 in Quebec. Both companies contributed locations to the partnership: some had convenience stores that previously operated under Irving's "Marché Mainway" banner, while others previously sold fuel under the Couche-Tard brand. All these locations now have Couche-Tard convenience stores and Irving-branded fuel.

The partnership expanded in 2008, as Irving leased its remaining Bluecanoe and Mainway convenience stores to Couche-Tard, expanding the latter chain's reach into Atlantic Canada and New England under the Circle K brand. Irving continues to own the buildings and property, and supplies Irving-branded fuel to these stations. In the United States, approximately 470 ExxonMobil On the Run stores are owned or franchised by Alimentation Couche-Tard under an agreement announced April 29, 2009. This also includes 43 ExxonMobil stations in the Phoenix, Arizona market, all of which have been rebranded to Circle K.

n March 2010, Couche-Tard offered $1.9 billion for control of the Iowa-based chain, and later announced a proxy fight for control. Casey's rejected Couche-Tard's offer and was successful in September 2010 in retaining its board of directors vs. Couche-Tard's nominated slate. On April 18. 2012, it became known that Couche-Tard has agreed to buy Norway's Statoil Fuel and Retail (previously owned by Statoil) for $2.8 billion., giving Couche-Tard the largest chain of petrol stations in Scandinavia and a major foothold in Northern Europe. On June 20, 2012 Statoil Fuel and Retail's shareholders voted in favor (+91.56%) of the acquisition and later it was declared that Couche-Tard had finally acquired 100% of Statoil Fuel and Retail for approximately 2.8 billion $US (forcing the minority shareholders to sell their shares). This acquisition adds over 2,853 stores to Couche-Tard's portfolio and a mega-presence in Europe. In early 2010 Couche-Tard started consolidating its outlets in Quebec by closing down many of those who did not do well in sales, and therefore allowing the successful ones to prosper. In all, over 300 stores were closed from 2010 throughout 2012. Currently, there are 20,985 Couche-Tard stores scattered across Canada, the United States, Europe, Mexico, Japan, China, and Indonesia.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Opare on showcase as Madoka whip UCLA, 103-12

By Uzuki Shimamura
The Daily Magi
September 13, 2070

Tatsuya Kaname's Mitakihara Magi were solid in their 103-12 victory over the UCLA Bruins at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, Calif. Quarterback Russ Opare struggled with his passing with 114 passing yards, three touchdowns and three interceptions. However, the junior scrambler out of Hamilton, Ont. ran for 341 yards and five touchdowns to anchor a strong rushing attack from the Magi.

Halfback Joe Sato ran for 250 yards and two scores, halfback Dreew Childs rushed for 210 yarda and two more scores and fullback Ian McKinley ran for 123 yards and another major. Sato, tight end Flynn Sota and wide receiver Anthony Injera all caught passes for touchdowns. Wide receiver Will Atsu led the blockers with 30 pancakes while Sato and Childs each had eight.

Middle linebacker Ernest Macklin led the defense in tackles with 15, while left outside linebacker Joey Agyemang Badu and strong safety Shiroyuki Kaname each secured an interception. Agyemang Badu returned his pick 53 yards for a score, while defensive tackle and defensive captain Dev Acura secured the lone safety of the contest. Acura and left end Lex Hasegawa each had two sacks.

Mitakihara improve to 3-0 and have a big match next week in South Bend, Ind. against Notre Dame.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

(left to right), Kosaki Onodera, Chitoge Kirisaki and Seishirou Tsugumi. Kosaki and Seishirou are Haku Ichijou's aunts, while Chitoge is his mother.

"I hope they make the right choice": Haku Ichijou

By Uzuki Shimamura

The Daily Magi
September 15, 2070

Mitakihara Magi senior free safety Haku Ichijou has an extended family. Haku has two aunts and two cousins. Kodaka Onodera is the son of Haku's primary aunt, Kosaki Onodera, and plays halfback. Yuujirou Tsugumi is the son of Haku's secondary aunt, Seishirou Tsugumi, and plays fullback. Dak currently has the Magi at the top of his list, but for Yuuji it's different, as Notre Dame, Florida and Colorado are also contending for his signature along with Madoka.

"I think Dak is warming up to being the next man up for Madoka as a halfback, but it seems Yuuji has other ideas," said Haku after practice in South Bend, Ind. "Dak really likes Madoka because it sounds like his name and Aunt Kosaki was an alumnus here. So it does hit home. Yuuji, though, is a bit hard to please. One moment he leans towards my guys, the next moment, he bails for a different school. It's tough for him.

"I tell my cousins, go with the Magi. You can't lose on this team. And the education you get here blows the likes of Stanford and Harvard and McGill out of the water. It has the right amount of challenges and the high expectations that puts pressure on you to succeed. I think Dak will sign with us, but I'm not so sure on Yuuji. He think the Irish have more purer intentions.

"I know that one time, they did poach another fullback from us in Glenn (Miketsukami), so this is no surprise they want a successor to Glenn at fullback. The thing I like about my school is that they recruit really hard and go after the good ones, not pulling punches and delivering all the stops. The recruiters here really sell the package well. Plus, it's in the best part of Canada, on Vancouver Island, in solitude, and in the City of the Future. You're getting a world-class education at a crossroads of the world.

"Hopefully Yuuji thinks this over when it's time for him to make that visit but I would personally be devastated if he commits to the Irish or somewhere else. This place was made for my family to be successful, and to miss out on Madoka is missing the boat. End of story. I hope they make the right choice. I know they will."​

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Opare's throwing problems continue as Madoka run past Notre Dame, 96-3

By Uzuki Shimamura
The Daily Magi
September 20, 2070

The throwing problems for Mitakihara Magi quarterback Russ Opare continued, as he threw for 220 yards and an interception. But despite all that, he ran for 439 yards and six touchdowns as Tatsuya Kaname's Magi ran past the Notre Dame Fighting Irish, 96-3, in prime time at Notre Dame Stadium in South Bend, Ind. Halfback Joe Sato ran for 194 yards and a touchdown, halfback Drew Childs ran for 173 yards and two scores and halfback Justin Jack had a couple of majors on the ground.

Wide receiver Anthony Injura had three catches for 75 yards while wideout Will Atsu had three catches for 46 yards. Left guard William Carter led the blockers with 26 pancakes, wide receiver Larry Igiebor had 17, left tackle Mario Washington had 14 pancakes and center Andy Benson had 10.

Defensively, the Magi were up to snuff and were led by middle linebacker Ernest "Tabarnak" Macklin, a 6'2", 220 lbs junior from Quebec City, Que., who had 21 tackles and two sacks. Defensive tackle Ron Hase had eight tackles and five sacks on the day, strong safety Shiroyuki Kaname had 11 tackles and free safety Haku Ichijou had an interception.

Mitakihara improve to 4-0 on the year and continue their season on the road next week against TCU.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

"I wish my husband padded the stats": Ran Shibuki

By Uzuki Shimamura

The Daily Magi
September 24, 2070

Ran Shibuki is the wife of Mitakihara Magi senior defensive tackle Ron Hase. Shibuki is a senior music major and is the proud mother of fraternal twins: Ron Hase Jr. and Fran Hase. Shibuki, a former idol is willing to sacrifice her aspirations to be a singer to be a housewife and a music teacher. However, there is one thing that Shibuki can't stomach: her husband not making enough tackles.

"I love Ron with a passion so strong and thick you could cut it with a knife, but I have to wonder, why isn't he earning enough tackles and sacks on the defensive line?" asked Shibuki via phone interview at her dorm room that she shares with Hase. "I wish my husband padded the stats because he's a great big guy with a big heart and a desire to make opposing quarterbacks lose their confidence and dignity.

"I first met Ron in my freshman year at Madoka, while I was playing intramural volleyball. I had to give up my professional career as an idol to focus on pursuing a job outside of singing. The first time I looked into his eyes, I realized, I'm not going to be alone anymore, I have someone I can be with and trust. So Ron and I have been together, and at the end of our freshman year, we got married and I decided to become a mother.

"As a matter of fact, being a mother is something that I prefer to have a burden with. It's actually much lighter because Ron loves being a dad. Ron tells me, 'If you become a good parent and one that treats your kids well, you will have truly grown up and you are ready to face the real world.' And he's right. I've matured quite a lot and I decided to be accountable for the welfare of Junior and Fran.

"Junior likes to play with Ron's practice helmet. One time, I think last week, he tried to put it on and it nearly got stuck on him. Ron came in and took it off him and gave him a mini replica Madoka helmet that fit him. So Junior's been wearing the helmet since. He pretends to be like his father. He's even got the three point stance right, the movement and speed, and he even has the snarl like his dad.

"I don't think Ron is too affected by the fact that he isn't getting enough tackles and sacks and statistics. He doesn't care about that. Ron wants to win another national championship for Mitakihara before he graduates and I admire that. But I would like him to stand out a little bit more. I guess I don't need to be greedy in this case, because Ron prefers to be a team player, a great father...and a model husband. I love him so much."

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Opare, Mitakihara thrash TCU, 108-20

By Uzuki Shimamura
The Daily Magi
September 27, 2070

Quarterback Russ Opare passed for 371 yards and four touchdowns while rushing for 351 yards and six more scores as Tatsuya Kaname's Mitakihara Magi overpowered the TCU Horned Frogs, 108-20, at Amon G. Carter Stadium in Fort Worth, Tex. halfback Joe Sato ran for 143 yards and three touchdowns, halfback Drew Childs ran for 47 yards and a major and wide receiver Larry Igiebor ran for 87 yards and another score.

Wide receiver Will Atsu caught five passes for 111 yards and a touchdown, Sato caught seven passes for 50 and a score, tight end Flynn Sota caught fivew passes for 53 yards and a major and wideout Chris Babatunder caught three passes for 85 yards and a touchdown. Babatunde also led the blockers with 23 pancakes while Atsu had 13 pancakes, Igiebor had 12 pancakes and left guard William Carter added nine.

Middle linebacker Ernest Macklin led the defense in tackles with 12, while free safety Haku Ichijou and strong safety Shiroyuki Kaname each had 11 tackles. Cornerback Henry Waris had two interceptions while left outside linebacker Joey Agyemang Badu was ferocious in the pass rush with five sacks, as was left end Lex Hasegawa with three sacks. Kaname, right outside linebacker Josiah Cofie and cornerback Marlon Boakye each had a pick, while right end Rex Hasegawa had two sacks.

Mitakihara improve to 5-0 and begin their home stand next week against the Millbrook Cherokees in Homecoming 2070.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

"Fullbacks are the most underrated of players": Ichigo Hoshimiya

By Uzuki Shimamura

The Daily Magi
September 28, 2070

Senior music theory major Ichigo Hoshimiya, a former idol is proud to be living a more normal life. Hoshimiya, a distant cousin of Mitakihara alumnus Kate Hoshimiya, is the wife of Mitakihara Magi senior fullback Ian McKinley of Windsor, Ont. As he is a fullback, McKinley doesn't do a lot of carrying or pass catching like the others, but he is really an all-purpose player that is cosplaying as a fullback. Still, Hoshimiya wished Ian, who she calls "Highland" because his parents emigrated from the Scottish Highlands, was more of a ball carrier.

"It's not fair, really," said Hoshimiya via phone interview at her dorm room which she shares with McKinley. "Fullbacks are the most underrated of players. Mostly they're just used to block, and that's it. They don't do as much carrying, even in the option attack. And that's a bit sad because I know Highland can run the ball like Joe [Sato] and Drew [Childs] and the others.

"I admire Ian McKinley for one reason: he works hard to be where he is. I want to be with a person that sacrifices a lot to realize his dreams of being a winner as part of his team and in the game of life as a high-achievintg student. He told me of his days as a member of the local secondary school honor society and the high test scores he got on a consistent basis. And he's really good at sharing sweet talk with me. He gets on my level easily and he's quite a flirt.

"By the end of my first year here, I realized I needed to find a person in my life that could help me pay the bills because my parents want me to find a house, earn a living, be a mother, be a wife...the type of things that you do when you're an adult. Highland's parents are really wealthy. His dad is part of the Board of Directors at MetroTech, and his mother is an active socialite that has a fetish for haggis.

"To be honest with you, I never heard of haggis, let alone tasted it until I was invited to this thing called a Burns supper after the two of us were married in June of 2068. I fell in love with it. I like to eat Scottish cuisine in moderation and Highland does too. But to be fair, we don't eat Scottish cuisine that much. We prefer to eat Japanese food because it's less fattening. During the summer, I run with Highland down the beach when he's not training or having classes. I thought about trying out for the cross-country team, but I decided that pursing a music degree would be better.

"Every day there's a home game, I always attend it to learn about the skills of the different players on the Magi football team and their roles. Football is a team sport and Highland has his role of blocking and occasionally carrying the ball. But any time he breaks through for a big carry, that makes me really happy because I know he's more than just a blocker.

"My wish for Ian when he continues his playing career in the pros is that he is used for more than just an extra blocker. I want him to make big runs, catch passes, be just like a glorified halfback. He's an offensive weapon that hasn't been used as much as he's supposed to, and I hope Coach Kaname gives him a chance to shine this season because it would be nice for him to play for the B.C. Lions, but it wouldn't be enough to pay the bills. Highland knows what he needs to do, and I'll support him every step of the way."

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Before the Daily Magi does its preview of the 2070 Homecoming, let's take a look back at the past six decades of Homecoming Weeks at Mitakihara University.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
cz72.png

Mitakihara Homecoming 2070: Madoka 60

By Uzuki Shimamura
The Daily Magi
September 29, 2070

Mitakihara University renews, for the 60th time, one of its oldest traditions, dating back to the year 2011: it's Homecoming Week. This year's theme is "Madoka 60." Aoi Kiriya is a senior liberal studies major and is the wife of Mitakihara Magi strong safety Shiroyuki Kaname.

9cbd75224764c7bb96a7de6bd310e581.jpg

"Being a part of the Mitakihara Family is an honor that you can never take for granted," said Kiriya. "Shiro told me that to serve your school well by promoting this university's traditions is an achievement that cannot be described in words. There have been so many people before me, millions of people, who have understood the message that Madoka brings to the world. I get the chills stepping on campus, seeing all the different monuments and buildings that have been made in this town.

"This week, the university celebrates its 60th birthday, and we plan to celebrate it by making it a week no one will forget. So we invite everyone to come down to the island and watch the Best College Football Team in All of College Football shine at the Sakura Bowl once again. You will not regret it."

A number of other events will also take place leading up to the Homecoming Game against the Millbrook Cherokees on October 4, 2070 at 12:30 p.m. PT/3:30 p.m. ET. The game will be televised globally in English, French and Japanese by Radio Madoka in HDTV and on mobile via the Madoka Online app.

The Schedule is as follows:
(all times in PT)

Tuesday, September 30
8:00 a.m. - Morning Prayers to Madoka - Madoka Cathedral Chapel
Speaker: Archbishop Ronald Dean Clegg
Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Vancouver

12 p.m. - Homecoming Registration Opens - Kaname Hall (Administration Building)
Registered participants must check in here for their Passport and vouchers for the Saturday Homecoming Barbecue at Mitakihara Stadium Parking Lot.

All Day - Museums: Spend the afternoon visiting one of the Mitakihara Museums. Admission is free with your Homecoming Passport.
* Nissin Museum of Ramen, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
* Hayao Miyazaki Museum of Art 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., miyazaki.madoka.ca
* Mitakihara Museum of Puella Magi, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
-Museums open all day Wednesday, Thursday Friday and Saturday

Madoka Garden: Find your peace of mind visiting the Madoka Garden, located next to the Madoka Cathedral Chapel. Admission is free with your Homecoming Passport. Open 6 a.m. to sunset, all week.

Libraries: Admission is free at the following locations with your Homecoming Passport:
* Yuuki Library, 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
* Saito Library 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Special Exhibit at Saito Library: Mitakihara Turns 60: A Look Back At Six Decades of History.
For more information, please visit the Saito Library website.
Libraries open all day Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday

1 p.m. Classes: Participants are invited to sit in on a variety of undergraduate classes:
Classes TBA, see University Web Site

2 p.m. and 3 p.m. - Mizuhashi Library Tours
Take a guided tour of the Mizuhashi Library at the Mitakihara School of Graduate Studies. Tours will meet at the reception area inside the front door and will leave at 2:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. Space on each tour is limited.

3 p.m. - Open band practice
Mitakihara Director of Bands, Dr. Francine Tremblay, holds a special band practice with members of the Marching Ultimates, the university's marching band.

3:30 p.m. Campus tours led by The Homulilly Society/La Societe Homulille
The Homulilly Society/La Societe Homulille is the premiere student-run organization that is dedicated to serving the Mitakihara University community and is owned and operated by the Mitakihara Associated Students. Tours are conducted in English, French and Japanese.
1. Mitakihara General Tour
2. Beyond The Campus: A Tour of Madoka Square, The Dorms and More
3. Touring the Madoka Garden: Something for Everybody
(also will take place on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday)

4:30 p.m. Campus tours led by The Homulilly Society/La Societe Homulille
1. Mitakihara Athletic Facilities
2. Madoka Architecture: Always Bold, Always Beautiful - The Legacy
3. Madoka Garden Tea Ceremony (refreshments provided)
(also will take place on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday)

5 p.m. - Nonaka House Association's Harley Davidson Postmeridie Lecture and Award
Honoring the Kaname Family, the Founders of Mitakihara University. Accepting the Award: Mitakihara Magi SS Shiroyuki Kaname
Presentation of Award, Hozuki Ferrari, Vice-Chancellor of Mitakihara University, Tsukino Centre (Doors open at 4:30.)

Wednesday, October 1
9 a.m.- 3 p.m. - Homecoming Registration - Kaname Hall (Administration Building)
Registered participants must check in here for their Passport and vouchers for the Saturday Homecoming Barbecue at Mitakihara Stadium Parking Lot.

5 p.m. - Mitakihara University Glee Club Concert
Tickets required: $50 for adults, $35 for students and $30 for seniors. Tickets can be purchased directly through the Mitakihara Box Office by phone at (250) 4MADOKA or online at the box office website.

Thursday, October 2
9 a.m.- 3 p.m. - Homecoming Registration - Kaname Hall (Administration Building)
Registered participants must check in here for their Passport and vouchers for the Saturday Homecoming Barbecue at Mitakihara Stadium Parking Lot

5 p.m. - Men's Water Polo vs. UC Irvine
The Amagami Campus Pool

7 p.m. - Mitakihara University Rugby vs. Japan Men's National Team
Battle for the Arrow Of Light, Sakura Bowl Stadium. Tickets required: $70 for adults, $50 for students and $30 for seniors. Tickets can be purchased directly through the Mitakihara Box Office by phone at (250) 4MADOKA or online at the box office website.

7 p.m. - Battle of the Bands, Tsukino Centre
Tickets required: $60 for adults, $40 for students and $25 for seniors. Tickets can be purchased directly through the Mitakihara Box Office by phone at (250) 4MADOKA or online at the box office website.

7 p.m. - Men's Handball vs. UCLA
Urobuchi Fieldhouse, Akagi Court

7:30 p.m. - Sprint Football vs. Army
Tatsuya Kaname Field at Mitakihara Stadium

Friday, October 3

5 p.m. - Women's Volleyball vs. British Columbia
Battle for the Cup of Life. Exhibition, Anderson Court, Marisa Kirisame Pyramid

Approx. 8 p.m. - Pep Rally at Anderson Court, Marisa Kirisame Pyramid
Following the Women's Volleyball game vs. British Columbia, the 2070 Mitakihara Magi Football Team will be introduced. Speeches by head coach Tatsuya Kaname, offensive team captain Flynn Sota, defensive team captain Dev Acura, athletic director Shizuku Minami and university chancellor Honoka Kaname will be made.

9 p.m. - Evening activities
Visit the Inu Daruma Pub or your favorite restaurant at the Campus.
The Meeting: Special gathering for Roseluck Arrow Boosters and Men About Town at McGann's, cash bar @ 9:00 p.m.

Saturday, October 4
5:00 - 9:00 a.m. - Breakfast at the Dorms - Passport holders are invited to enjoy a hot breakfast at the dorm of their choice. Pay at the door (cash please), cost is $15 per person.

7 a.m. - Morning Prayers to Madoka - Madoka Cathedral Chapel
Speaker: Cardinal Peter Kazuto Hatanaka
Roman Cathoic Archdiocese of Mitakihara

7 a.m. to 8 p.m. - Homecoming Headquarters and Registration- Rei Ayanami Field

9 a.m. Men's Soccer vs. Akron
Hirasawa Field

10 a.m. Women's field hockey vs. Stanford
Rei Ayanami Field

12 p.m. Women's Soccer vs. Portland
Hirasawa Field

10 a.m. to kickoff Pre-Game Tailgate at Athletics
Pack a picnic and set up a tailgate with your friends prior to the Mitakihara-Millbrook football game. The Madoka Tailgate Area will be located inside Stade Sakura Bowl Gate 10. Cars can park here for $50, payable on-side. Tailgate is permitted for 2 hours prior to kickoff and for one hour following the game.

12:30 p.m. Football Kick-Off
Cheer on the Mitakihara Magi as they take on the Millbrook Cherokees. A block of tickets for Madoka Homecoming is currently reserved through the Mitakihara Athletic Ticket Office. Tickets are required and cost $40 each, children ages 12 and under are free. Tickets can be purchased directly through the Mitakihara Box Office by phone at (250) 4MADOKA or online at the box office website.

11 a.m. - 4th quarter - Homecoming Barbecue
Barbecue in the Stade Sakura Bowl Parking Lot, Gates 6-9. A voucher for the "Ika's BBQ Fan Zone" is included in your Homecoming registration price. Please be sure to check-in at the Homecoming registration desk to receive your meal ticket. Drinks will be sold separately on-site. A variety of family a children's activities will be offered in the "Fan Zone," including face painting, music, sports games, prizes and raffles.

8 p.m. Women's Ice Hockey vs. McGill
Battle for the Sis Puella Magica Cup. Exhibition game, MetroTech Shanarena

8 p.m. - A Symphony Dedicated To Madoka Kaname
Presented by the Mitakihara University Philharmonic (MadoPhil), Tsukino Centre.
Ticket Required: Regular: $50.00, $40.00, $30.00;
Students: $30.00, $25.00, $20.00; Seniors (65+): $25.00,
$20.00, $15.00.
Tickets can be purchased directly through the Mitakihara Box Office by phone at (250) 4MADOKA or online at the box office website.

Sunday, October 5
9 a.m. - Mitakihara 10K Run/Walk for Life
Get ready to put on your running or walking shoes and take a cruise around the different places on campus and in Mitakihara. The route starts at Magia Quad and will weave around the city before ending at Madoka Square. Registration is $75.00 ($45.00 for students with ID, $20 for seniors) at the Magia Quad tent from 6 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. All proceeds benefit the BC Cancer Foundation. Refreshments and medals will be provided at finish line.

Last edited: