• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

CFB playoffs thread, presented by Segway

Mame YO

slings rocks
And what would that statement be, exactly?

-YTC
Not saying I agree with it but the committee obviously felt like the head to head was close enough (or they felt tcu played better but Baylor "stole" the game) that they valued it less in their deliberations than the overall body of work. If Baylor had beaten TCU twice there would be no rational argument that TCU was better.

Mame YO

slings rocks
Anyway, the point is that to me conferences can be larger but they need to play more conference games as a trade off.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Not saying I agree with it but the committee obviously felt like the head to head was close enough (or they felt tcu played better but Baylor "stole" the game) that they valued it less in their deliberations than the overall body of work. If Baylor had beaten TCU twice there would be no rational argument that TCU was better.
So what would be proven if TCU won narrowly and "stole" the rematch?

Brick

I don't know how you steal a win when you gain 782 yards. Just me doe.

Taishair

61-58 is close regardless of yardage. You do not win any trophies for yardage. You don't win games with yardage.

Mame YO

slings rocks
So what would be proven if TCU won narrowly and "stole" the rematch?
I imagine the committee would just emphasize the rest of their body of work if two head to heads resulted in a wash and it'd be the same as it is now.

Again, not agreeing with it per se but it is what it is. I just don't think round robin schedules are really any better than a proper two division league. The SEC and B1G are just pussies for playing only 8 conference games, especially the SEC with 14 teams and how they rotate. I feel like the pac12 does it mostly right, because they play everybody in their division and half of the other division each year on a 2 and 2 rotating basis. So if you do something like that, each year a 14 team league should have at least 10 conference games.

Mame YO

slings rocks
I don't know how you steal a win when you gain 782 yards. Just me doe.
I didn't watch the game but coming back from 21 points to win the game by 3 in the waning seconds sounds like stealing a game to me regardless of yardage, though your point is duly noted.

Mame YO

slings rocks
The blazers only lost to Memphis a few games back because they couldn't hit open 3s.

Yardage is something like that; you still need to score!

dirt

Trolltalitarian
when it's 51-68 the score is almost moot. No one is playing D. Better off watching basketball

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Brick was the first person to realize this many years ago. He opened my eyes to the concept.

The college football team that scores the most points in a game has a 100% winning percentage.

Goblue's key to the game:

• Score the most points and win the game
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
The SEC/ACC/Big Ten are all set up to get teams into the playoffs. They all miss five teams a year. Big Ten is suppose to go to nine conference games in 2016 but I bet that'll get shelved. Whereas the Pac-12 misses just two, Big XII miss zero. It's a giant advantage that teams like Bammer miss the better East teams this year.
This WAS the dumbest thing i had ever read on utopia.

GuyIncognito

pressure cooker full of skittles
Haven't read the thread, don't care. A few points:

- As playoff advocates said all along, I'd much rather have the controversy about somebody ranked 5th than somebody ranked 3rd.
- How come nobody is talking about the fact that an FSU team that hasn't lost in two years finished 3rd behind two teams with losses? Any system that would have left that FSU team at home doesn't deserve the time of day.
- I'm more excited about this playoff than I've been for any bowl season ever.
- I do think this proves the need for more teams. I've advocated for 12 teams all along and I still do:

12. Georgia Tech @ 5. Baylor - winner plays @ #4 Ohio State
11. Kansas State @ 6. TCU - winner plays @ #3 Florida State
10. Arizona @ 7. Mississippi St. - winner plays @ #2 Oregon
9. Ole Miss @ 8. Michigan St. - winner plays @ #1 Alabama

GuyIncognito

Well we don't really know what the BCS would have done because we can't speculate about how the playoff has affected human voters.

And even those rankings inexplicably have a 1 loss Alabama team over a 29-0 FSU team or whatever they are.

The point is that whatever controversies are invited by expanding the competition to more than a popularity contest, they're better than what we had.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I mean if all we are concerned about is seeing two teams who don't play each other often match up, or just that we want to see the power conferences go at it why not just make it 32? I'd say ASU is about as deserving as Mississippi, put them in too.

GuyIncognito

32 doesn't reward teams for having better seasons, and it's beyond what is needed to ensure that every legit team gets a shot.

The reason I like 12 more than 16 (which is where it's going to end up) is because of that incentive structure.

The NFL playoffs do just fine in the ratings, and nobody complains that it's too inclusive or that it doesn't produce a legitimate champion. And all I'm doing is taking the NFL model and applying it to CFB.

It's also worth mentioning that CFB has 4x as many teams as the NFL so it's actually a much more exclusive post-season in the college context.

MSUFanatic

32 doesn't reward teams for having better seasons, and it's beyond what is needed to ensure that every legit team gets a shot.

The reason I like 12 more than 16 (which is where it's going to end up) is because of that incentive structure.

The NFL playoffs do just fine in the ratings, and nobody complains that it's too inclusive or that it doesn't produce a legitimate champion. And all I'm doing is taking the NFL model and applying it to CFB.

It's also worth mentioning that CFB has 4x as many teams as the NFL so it's actually a much more exclusive post-season in the college context.

Mak - although ESPN doesn't care about the kids do you think someone would uproar about the extended schedule length and safety of athletes? I've actually been a big proponent of 8-12, but a few of my friends clamor outrage for abuse and safety among the athletes playing. My counter is always they already don't give a shit about them why would they now?

Dr. Shats Basoon

Closed mouths don't get fed
I could get behind a 12 team playoff but I think 8 is the way to go.

5 conference champions from p-5, 2 at large's, and 1 non p-5 team.

If the playoffs get expanded anymore they have to include the non P-5 teams for at least one guaranteed spot.

Mak - although ESPN doesn't care about the kids do you think someone would uproar about the extended schedule length and safety of athletes? I've actually been a big proponent of 8-12, but a few of my friends clamor outrage for abuse and safety among the athletes playing. My counter is always they already don't give a shit about them why would they now?

When people bring that up, all it does is make me think they are borderline retarded.

In many states the high school teams that make the state finals play 15 games. The same is true in NCAA Division 3, 2 and FCS.

If they moved to an expanded playoff with more than 8 teams, I think an argument can be made that the standard schedule should go back to 11 games, rather than 12, at least for teams that want to be in contention for the playoff. If Hawaii or a MAC team wants to schedule 12 regular season games, more power to them. They aren't going to be in the playoff anyway. The revenue gained from the TV package for a larger format playoff would most likely offset whatever is lost with one fewer regular season game.

Bucksin04

Just make it 6 teams.

Game 1: (6) TCU @ (3) Florida State
Game 2: (5) Baylor @ (4) Ohio State

Game 3: Winner Game 1 @ (2) Oregon
Game 4: Winner Game 2 @ (1) Alabama

National Title: Winner Game 3 vs. Winner Game 4 (Neutral Site)

- Top 2 teams rewarded with a bye and home game
- Seeds 3-4 rewarded with a home game
- Seeds 5-6 get a chance to win the title, but have to beat three of the top six teams in the country in three straight weeks (2 of which are on the road, 1 at a neutral site)
- Fans don't have to spend crazy amounts of money flying to the Sugar Bowl/Rose Bowl one week and elsewhere in the country like Dallas the next week like they do now.
- A maximum of two teams each season will play more games than currently structured, and that only occurs if both the #1 and #2 seeds lose on the same day.
- Maintain bowl tie-ins with the major bowls and have the highest ranked teams from those conferences not in the playoff participate in them e.g. the highest ranked non-playoff Big Ten team v. the highest ranked non-playoff Pac 12 team play in the Rose Bowl.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
The NFL playoffs do just fine in the ratings, and nobody complains that it's too inclusive or that it doesn't produce a legitimate champion.

giphy.gif

-YTC

GuyIncognito

Yes, 6 teams would also work, and I'd prefer that to 4 or 8, again because of the incentives.

In fact, 6 might be my favorite model. I just know that once the NCAA sees how awesome this is and how much money they're leaving on the table by having such a small field it's going to expand beyond 6.

GuyIncognito

@ MSU Fanatic, I don't think it'd really be a concern. I mean somebody would bring it up, but if it's that big a deal then maybe you can cut a couple games off the regular season and play 10.

Do we really need Alabama vs. Western Carolina in late November?

Also, I guarantee you that the players would much prefer more games to the bowl set up. It's not like bowl month is a vacation for the players. They have to go to practice every day just as if they were playing a game, only there's no game. Players would much rather have a game every weekend to break up the horrid monotony of bowl prep.

And as others have pointed out, in HS you potentially play 14 games, plus pre-season scrimmages. In the NFL you potentially play 20 games, plus preseason.

The argument that college players shouldn't risk playing more than 13 games doesn't make much sense in context.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator

The 32nd team is just as deserving as the 12th team in your scenario. So why not just keep going?

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
6 teams would absolutely be the shit and guarantees a 1-loss conference champ gets in.

This is where it needs to be to satisfy both the L3G1T TEAMS hounds and semi satisfy the whiteys. All legit teams get in, huge ratings, fun times.

GuyIncognito

The 32nd team is just as deserving as the 12th team in your scenario. So why not just keep going?

On what logic? We don't even know who the 12th and 32nd teams are. It's not about desert. In order to ensure that only deserving teams ever got a shot at the title, you'd need a system that changed every year to reflect the events of that season.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
On what logic? We don't even know who the 12th and 32nd teams are. It's not about desert. In order to ensure that only deserving teams ever got a shot at the title, you'd need a system that changed every year to reflect the events of that season.

On the logic that the 12th best team this year and the 32nd best team this year are not deserving of a chance to play for a national title. Therefore they are both just as deserving since neither are.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
And a 12 team system rewards teams for doing better. A 32 team system is just a flat bracket.

So make it 24 or whatever it works out to make byes. 12 team system is awful because the 8th-12th best teams at the end of the year have never once deserved a chance to play for a national title. In the history of the world, craig.