• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

CFB playoffs thread, presented by Segway

Bucksin04

Had no idea, thanks for that knowledge

I mean, you're making the argument that conference championships shouldn't feature rematches coming off a weekend when only one of the five games played actually was a rematch so I wasn't sure.

jobob 5.0

I Am Reborn
Ya'll get too worked up about this, but conference shampships should never happen with rematches. Already settled, they are only needed because conferences add too many teams. Round robin da bess but it isn't as lucrative. It doesn't add an extra quality game because it shouldn't be needed in the first place.

Sorry, but reality (or I guess in this case, logic) does hit you hard sometimes bros
Not sure if serious???

So why even have a postseason at all then? I can see CFB since they can't play each other, but in MLB, NBA... there are plenty of games for a full round-robin. In the NFL you could play your whole conference and select a Super Bowl representative based on that. And whether or not you think it's needed should have no bearing on whether it's a quality game. I mean, OOC games are not needed, does that mean they can't be quality games?

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I mean, you're making the argument that conference championships shouldn't feature rematches coming off a weekend when only one of the five games played actually was a rematch so I wasn't sure.

What does this past weekend have to do with that argument? Am not sure what you're tom bout

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Not sure if serious???

So why even have a postseason at all then? I can see CFB since they can't play each other, but in MLB, NBA... there are plenty of games for a full round-robin. In the NFL you could play your whole conference and select a Super Bowl representative based on that. And whether or not you think it's needed should have no bearing on whether it's a quality game. I mean, OOC games are not needed, does that mean they can't be quality games?

It isn't an extra quality game if you do a round robin that plays the same amount of conference games. Math.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Ya'll gon' wrap me up into your illogical ways, and I won't have it today. I commend you guys for staring logic in its eye and saying it's wrong, that takes courage.

Lightningwar

Administrator
Yeah, but they also played Rutgers, Maryland, Michigan, Penn State, Illinois and Indiana, and that's just in the Big Ten. Outside of Kansas, the Big 12 doesn't have teams that bad. Conference championship games are dumb.

Whether or not championship games are dumb. The committee made it clear going forward expect conferences that have one to get preferential treatment. ISU, Okie State, and TTU are that bad.

ZeekLTK

I'm just laughing because Big XII was one of the original sellouts to have a championship game, which the Big Ten and PAC-10 fought against tooth and nail... and now that they finally accepted it and set one up, Big XII gets rid of theirs and then complains that they shouldn't be "pressured" into having one. Reap what you sow motherfuckers.

Bucksin04

If you play a round robin schedule, then I don't think a conference championship game is necessary.
If you don't play a round robin schedule, then I think a conference championship game is fine. More often than not (e.g. this past weekend), the CCG is not a rematch from the regular season.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
Big 12 didn't really "get rid" of their CCG; 4 teams left over 2 years and only 2 were added back on. You could argue that they didn't try hard enough to expand back to 12 with 2 divisions if you want, but to say they just "got rid" of the CCG is silly.

Brick

If you don't play a round robin schedule, then I think a conference championship game is fine. More often than not (e.g. this past weekend), the CCG is not a rematch from the regular season.
the rematch is only a small part of the problem. missouri had no business playing Alabama saturday.

missouri didn't have to play mississippi state, lsu, alabama, auburn, or ole miss in the regular season. they did get to play vanderbilt, kentucky, arkansas, and texas a&m.

the bigger these conferences get, the more likely this shit is going to happen. 14 teams is way too many.

this isn't the NFL where even the jaguars or raiders could beat anyone. if you play vandy and kentucky but miss alabama and lsu, your strength of schedule is significantly impacted. there are no 28 point spreads in the NASHNUL.

people keep talking about non-conference schedules but are too lazy to look and see that teams in the same league have completely different types of seasons.

i didn't hear a single person talk about this during the selection process, and it's a shame.

oregon didn't have to play 6-3 arizona state or 6-3 USC this year. they got utah and colorado instead. did you hear anyone mention that? nah.

fonzilla

So is Oregon going to shit themselves again @Brick once they see a team as talented as them???? Or are they actually going to win one of these big games???

Brick

prolly leg shitting. they looked pretty bad in the last three bcs bowls they played in. auburn should have won by more.

Bdub

the rematch is only a small part of the problem. missouri had no business playing Alabama saturday.

missouri didn't have to play mississippi state, lsu, alabama, auburn, or ole miss in the regular season. they did get to play vanderbilt, kentucky, arkansas, and texas a&m.

the bigger these conferences get, the more likely this shit is going to happen. 14 teams is way too many.

this isn't the NFL where even the jaguars or raiders could beat anyone. if you play vandy and kentucky but miss alabama and lsu, your strength of schedule is significantly impacted. there are no 28 point spreads in the NASHNUL.

people keep talking about non-conference schedules but are too lazy to look and see that teams in the same league have completely different types of seasons.

i didn't hear a single person talk about this during the selection process, and it's a shame.

oregon didn't have to play 6-3 arizona state or 6-3 USC this year. they got utah and colorado instead. did you hear anyone mention that? nah.
I think this is reflected in the rankings though. For instance look at Utah still ranked with 4 losses. They played the hardest schedule in the country and where rewarded in the poll's.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Utah was better than SC.

UCLA didn't get to play two of the worst teams in the conference this year, sometimes it happens. Pac-12 scheduling is way better than any other leagues. 12 is good spot for a conference to be in, especially if you play 9 games. 8 games for a 14 team league (SEC, B1G, ACC) is a fucking joke.

Brick

did you hear anyone mention ohio state didn't have to face nebrask....lol nevermind.

but really, the big ten had 3 teams with winning conference records outside of ohio state. the buckeyes dodged 2 of the 3 in the regular season (wisconsin, nebraska). is that fair?

michigan state didn't play either of wisconsin or minnesota.

baylor and TCU had to play everyone.

14 teams is too much. and there is absolutely no excuse for those conferences not to play 9 regular season conference games instead of 8 when the big xii and pac-12 are doing so.

DERP CONFERENCE CHAMPS PLAYED AN EXTRA GAME DERP

yes, you're correct: they played an extra non-con game against derp state. and played the same exact number of conference games as big xii teams.

critical thinking is dead. this shit is not hard. it's just too long to tweet or soundbite.

Last edited:

Brick

and everyone is always on rece davis and chris fowler for their objectiveness and professionalism.

it is just not true. the only time they insert their opinion is some over-defensive shit about the SEC or some passive aggressive comment about how 2 teams (then) and 4 teams (now) aren't enough. fuck those dudes.

it is their fucking job to interject and fact check these morons. danny kanell has the most punchable face on the planet.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Yep. All of these P5 conferences need to play 9 games. Even though Oregon missed SC and ASU, they still had to play Utah and UCLA on the road and play Zona at home. Zona had to play 3 of the top 4 from the North. The two teams they missed were a combined 7-11 in conference play. The two opponents UCLA missed went 4-14 in conference play. Meanwhile, OSU; Alabama; and FSU got to skip teams like Nebraska, Iowa, Mizzou, Georgia, Duke, UNC. None of those teams are really great teams but they're all better than the FCS or Sun Belt team that those teams put there instead.

The SEC's scheduling is by far the worst. They rotate 1 division opponent lmao. Alabama doesn't have to play Georgia or Mizzou, Mizzou doesn't have to play Auburn or Ole Miss, etc. for like 100 years.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Yep. All of these P5 conferences need to play 9 games. Even though Oregon missed SC and ASU, they still had to play Utah and UCLA on the road and play Zona at home. Zona had to play 3 of the top 4 from the North. The two teams they missed were a combined 7-11 in conference play. The two opponents UCLA missed went 4-14 in conference play. Meanwhile, OSU; Alabama; and FSU got to skip teams like Nebraska, Iowa, Mizzou, Georgia, Duke, UNC. None of those teams are really great teams but they're all better than the FCS or Sun Belt team that those teams put there instead.

The SEC's scheduling is by far the worst. They rotate 1 division opponent lmao. Alabama doesn't have to play Georgia or Mizzou, Mizzou doesn't have to play Auburn or Ole Miss, etc. for like 100 years.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

bruin228

NCAA Moderator

I didn't say they were good lmao. They're better than (most) MAC teams doe. Iowa almost beat Wisconsin. 5-7 Oregon State beat ASU. Kansas almost beat TCU. Conference opponents, no matter what level, are way tougher outs.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong

Relax. You're saying the same shit I did in another thread about conference expansion. Michigan gets to see Iowa and Wisconsin 2 out of every 8 years, with 6 years off. It's dumb. It's dumb for playoff purposes, and it makes the games worse. 8 or 9 game round robin is perfect in conference. Conference championship games are dumb. I'm on board here, Brick.

dirt

Trolltalitarian
did you hear anyone mention ohio state didn't have to face nebrask....lol nevermind.

but really, the big ten had 3 teams with winning conference records outside of ohio state. the buckeyes dodged 2 of the 3 in the regular season (wisconsin, nebraska). is that fair?

michigan state didn't play either of wisconsin or minnesota.

baylor and TCU had to play everyone.

14 teams is too much. and there is absolutely no excuse for those conferences not to play 9 regular season conference games instead of 8 when the big xii and pac-12 are doing so.

DERP CONFERENCE CHAMPS PLAYED AN EXTRA GAME DERP

yes, you're correct: they played an extra non-con game against derp state. and played the same exact number of conference games as big xii teams.

critical thinking is dead. this shit is not hard. it's just too long to tweet or soundbite.
I just tweeted ALL OF IT

@Stickmark on twitter

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
The SEC/ACC/Big Ten are all set up to get teams into the playoffs. They all miss five teams a year. Big Ten is suppose to go to nine conference games in 2016 but I bet that'll get shelved. Whereas the Pac-12 misses just two, Big XII miss zero. It's a giant advantage that teams like Bammer miss the better East teams this year.

Mame YO

slings rocks
Idk it doesn't have to be round robin to be tougher or "more legit" or whatever. 12 teams with the way the pac12 rotates is potentially harder, because division winners are likely to have played each other already once which would mean a team has to face the toughest roadblock in the conference twice. Sure, it doesn't always work out that way - especially if one division is far better than the other or the divisions don't play each other much (SEC!).

I mean, If tcu and Baylor played again, and Baylor won again that would surely make a statement. Oregon playing Arizona (the only team that has beat them this regular season) provided a statement win (or if Arizona won it'd validate their previous win to the committee). That's something to consider too since this sport is so subjective.

To me the problem is that conferences don't want to play more conference games but they want their conferences to be bigger. If you have 12, play 9. If you have 16 play 10-12 or whatever. None of this 4 non-conference schedule crap.

jobob 5.0

I Am Reborn
It's a giant advantage that teams like Bammer miss the better East teams this year.
It's a giant advantage that Bama didn't have to play more East teams? I'd have rather played the East than the West.

Also, other than UGA... what "better" teams are you talking about? They missed UGA, USC, Vandy, and Kentucky... they got Florida, Mizzou, and Tennessee...

fonzilla

Utah was better than SC.

UCLA didn't get to play two of the worst teams in the conference this year, sometimes it happens. Pac-12 scheduling is way better than any other leagues. 12 is good spot for a conference to be in, especially if you play 9 games. 8 games for a 14 team league (SEC, B1G, ACC) is a fucking joke.
UCLA v K-State should be a good defensive game...it's one of the games I am looking forward too. I need more fuel to stoke @bruin228 n @bruin fire