• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

CFB playoffs thread, presented by Segway

pavel

likes elk steak likes
Utopia Moderator
Get them in now before the rankings

in no order

fsu
bama
oregon
notre dame

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Miss St
Oregon
FSU
Bama

No way there aren't 2 SEC teams in there

Thank God they put Condi Rice on the job

Brick

Bama
Flazzu
Notre dame
Michigan state

Mississippi schools gon Mississippi, ND and msu win out. Oregon loses.

Msu and ND at top of one loss pecking order

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Wait, is this for the end of the season or the first rankings? I took it as the latter

Brick

so the rose is #1 V #4 and sugar is #2 V #3

i think that's pretty wack. if bama or miss schools, for example, happen to be the #1 seed they should be able to play in the sugar bowl. same for something like usc and oregon on the west coast. that is a huge advantage.

plus if oregon gets in they are more likely #4, and i'd like to see them play in new orleans for selfish reasons.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
so the rose is #1 V #4 and sugar is #2 V #3

i think that's pretty wack. if bama or miss schools, for example, happen to be the #1 seed they should be able to play in the sugar bowl. same for something like usc and oregon on the west coast. that is a huge advantage.

plus if oregon gets in they are more likely #4, and i'd like to see them play in new orleans for selfish reasons.

I thought if a Notorious B1G or PAC-xx team made the playoffs, they got to play in the Rose Bowl. Same with a ESS EEE SEE team and the Sugar Bowl. :dunno:

Brick

ah, okay. maybe i was wrong.
B. When assigning teams to sites, the committee will place the top two seeds at the most advantageous sites, weighing criteria such as convenience of travel for its fans, home-crowd advantage or disadvantage and general familiarity with the host city and its stadium. Preference will go to the No. 1 seed.
it is going to be tricky some years, doe.
meaning next year before they change to 16 teams. :crying2:

Renegade

Charge on!
Guessing this is end of the year...

FSU
Bammer
Oregon
Michigan State

Know the popular thing is at least 2 SEC SPEEDZ teams, but see them all beating each other up. Bammer beats Misstake, Barn beats Ole Piss, Barn beats Georgia, Bammer beats Barn, Ole Piss beats Misstake, Bammer beats Georgia. Several 2 loss teams with 1 loss Pac-12 and B1G teams. Do like TCU's ability to get in there if any misses, but don't see them jumping Oregon or Mich State. Big 12 gets left out and is left wondering "what if we had a champ game so TCU could face K-State or Oklahoma again?"

Renegade

Charge on!
Also, Access Bowl. The top ranked G5 champ automatically qualifies regardless of their ranking. If none are in the committee's Top 25, they rate them all and pick the top one.

So I've got:

AAC - UCF
CUSA - Marshall
MAC - who gives a fuck
MWC - Boise St.
Sun Belt - Georgia Southern (not bowl eligible as a transition team)

So Marshall, undefeated playing the weakest schedule in history, will go to the Access Bowl over UCF and Boise who actually have decent wins and decent losses. Marshall goes to the Peach Bowl, faces Barn, and gets their shit stomped worse than Hawaii in 2007.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
So Marshall, undefeated playing the weakest schedule in history, will go to the Access Bowl over UCF and Boise who actually have decent wins and decent losses. Marshall goes to the Peach Bowl, faces Barn, and gets their shit stomped worse than Hawaii in 2007.

Bart Scott.

ZeekLTK

I thought if a Notorious B1G or PAC-xx team made the playoffs, they got to play in the Rose Bowl. Same with a ESS EEE SEE team and the Sugar Bowl. :dunno:

What happens if they are the #3 and #4 seeds? Still get to go to Rose Bowl and make #1 play #2 in the other semifinal? Or only #3 gets to go?

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Guessing this is end of the year...

FSU
Bammer
Oregon
Michigan State

Know the popular thing is at least 2 SEC SPEEDZ teams, but see them all beating each other up. Bammer beats Misstake, Barn beats Ole Piss, Barn beats Georgia, Bammer beats Barn, Ole Piss beats Misstake, Bammer beats Georgia. Several 2 loss teams with 1 loss Pac-12 and B1G teams. Do like TCU's ability to get in there if any misses, but don't see them jumping Oregon or Mich State. Big 12 gets left out and is left wondering "what if we had a champ game so TCU could face K-State or Oklahoma again?"

The Big 12 will go get BYU and Cincy soon, the lack of a CCG is going to be too costly.

Lightningwar

Administrator
That Longhorn channel is turning into a liability. Vandy is set to make more money off the SEC network than Tejas. The Big 12 needs a championship game. They also need their own network. Even if it doesnt include Tejas.

Lightningwar

Administrator
Way too early to predict who gets in. But if these SEC west teams eat each other. You can bet your bottom dollar ESPN will be spinning it as they deserve to have a 2 loss team because the SEC is so good!

Renegade

Charge on!
The Big 12 will go get BYU and Cincy soon, the lack of a CCG is going to be too costly.

I think the BYU boat has sailed. BYU had their chance with the B12 and passed it over because of the Sunday play issues and such. The Big 12 is talking about a cable network, and they need homes for subscribers. The more in-market homes you have, the higher the subscription fees for the channels. BYU has a good national following, but Utah is a small state and the cable subscriber money won't be that big. The Big 12 will look east and take Cincy and UCF to get into those metro areas. And I think UCF is in front of Cincy. Cincy has shown they can't even carry Cincinnati vs Ohio State, while UCF gets big ratings for games in Orlando even when UF/FSU are on. If anything, Cincy had better be worried about a resurgent Memphis that has a better basketball program and possibly a better football team at this point, as well as stronger community support.

If you sit down and really look at Cincy without just treating them as the heir apparent because they were assumed to be next after Louisville, I think you'll actually see a candidate that isn't as clear cut as you might think at first. They struggle carrying Cincinnati, which isn't that big (#35), basketball is good but not great, and football looks to be on the decline. They're refurbishing Nippert Stadium, but it's a small, old stadium. And while Cincy is close to West Virginia, I think West Virginia is more concerned about keeping their recruiting access to Florida than having a single close road game. Now it would help the other B12 teams to have Cincy since they could play them and WVU over the same weekend, and that may push them in front of Memphis or someone else, but Cincy's not really the slam dunk everyone thinks they are. If they were, the B12 would have invited them and BYU when they lost out on Louisville. They decided to take their chances on 10 teams because they weren't sure about one or both of those teams.

While USF's entire athletics program is a hot steaming mess right now, UCF + USF gives the B12 an enormous footprint in the 3rd largest state in the country that continues to grow and is a hotbed of football. Even if you only high subscriber fees for the B12 Network in Tampa and Orlando, those two combined exceed Utah + Cincinnati. If the combination gets you a higher fee in South Florida and/or Jacksonville, it will be a huge profit for the B12. So while I'd love to leave USF behind in purgatory, I think there is a strong possibility that they invade SEC territory and give the two big urban universities in Florida the platform to compete with UF and FSU. The potential is far, far bigger than Cincinnati or BYU (BYU is great, I love watching them and have tremendous respect for their program, but what's their growth potential? Are there many Mormon stars they're missing out on?).

Personally, I want UCF + BYU. I'd love to make that road trip every couple of years, but I don't know that I see the B12 deciding to expand that large from Morgantown WV to Provo. They'd be a continent wide conference, so I think they focus on Eastern markets to better tie WVU into the conference.

pavel

likes elk steak likes
Utopia Moderator
Like a regional afterthought that would punching above its weight in a bigger conference

Renegade

Charge on!
Like a regional afterthought that would punching above its weight in a bigger conference

Nah, I don't think they're really similar. For one thing, UCF has money, where Fresno doesn't. The facilities are in place, the fans support the program, the TV ratings are really solid. There's no doubt in my mind that UCF is one of the top 5 best G5 program in the country right now behind BYU and competing with Boise, Cincinnati and East Carolina in terms of overall program quality (facilities, support, ratings, on-field, etc.). Fresno does stuff on a shoe-string, and they're in a much smaller metro area without the growth potential UCF has. UCF draws well for a G5 program (3rd best attendance) and the TV ratings are better than many P5 programs.

As to punching above its weight in a bigger conference, I mean, Fresno has never gotten that chance. They regularly upset Pac-12 teams despite all the disadvantages they're dealt, so who's to say they wouldn't be a top dog in the Pac-12 if they got an invite? I'd also suggest that unlike Fresno, UCF has regularly won its conference and obviously has won a BCS Bowl. Under Pat Hill, I don't believe Fresno ever won the WAC, even before Boise got so good. My belief is that UCF can compete in whatever conference it's in. If we were in the Big 12, we'd be validated as a power conference team and recruits would sign up for that and the opportunity to face Texas, Oklahoma, etc. I don't think we'd ever pull in the sort of classes that UT and OU do, but I can't see why we wouldn't be a TCU/Texas Tech/Okie State/K-State type that could compete in the top half of the conference. There's a ton of talent to go around in Florida, and we also recruit well in Georgia, so you're mining two of the top 5 states for talent, and suddenly you're on a level playing field with the WVUs and Georgia Techs of the world. At least in the short to medium term, we wouldn't compete with UF/FSU in recruiting or prestige, but with some long-term success (helped moreso if Miami continues to struggle), I think you could force a Big 4.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
UCF needs a better mascot/nickname. Being in Orladno, you'd think they could get a hookup from Disney or something like that. UCF Pirates of the Caribbean would be better.

Renegade

Charge on!
UCF needs a better mascot/nickname. Being in Orladno, you'd think they could get a hookup from Disney or something like that. UCF Pirates of the Caribbean would be better.

Back in 1991, the AD wanted to change the name to the Sharks when we moved up to 1-AA. Knights isn't great, nor are black & gold good colors for marketing imo, but it is what it is.

Wooly

That would be a good plan, but BYU won't go if they can't have their own channel like Texas.
Nah, they have never wanted their own channel, they want some rights/guarantees to playing some games on their channel, but nothing extreme, not even as much as the Long Horn channel wanted. They want to be able to rebroadcast their games after the fact on BYU.tv, and they would like to be able to broadcast games on BYU.tv that no one else wants to pick up. That's not even real tier 2 or 3 rights, it's mostly just "let us replay games and let us show games that no one else wants". Honestly, I don't think BYU.tv or even no-Sunday play was much (if any) of an issue with previous conference alignment talks. I think the media played/made that up.

This is what I think happened. First, Texas was unsure what to do, whether to join the Pac12 or make their own conf to dominate in a new Big12. I think they did tell the Pac12 they would join with OU, but then either backed out or used it to leverage the rest of the Big12. BYU was a team basically waiting to see where things would end up, and instead of waiting forever, they teamed up with ESPN to get a favorable situation and not be left empty handed, but in doing so, they became entangled in contract promises where they were very beholden to ESPN. Then, the Big 12 needed to expand but I think two things made it hard to pick BYU. First, and most importantly, I think ESPN made talks with the Big12 and BYU really complicated. The TV rights were a problem, but not due to BYU.tv. What BYU.tv wanted was not nearly enough to get in the way of a deal. What ESPN wanted probably was. I think ESPN tried to get too much out of a deal (as they are known for doing), and it was easier and more lucrative for the Big 12 to go with other teams as a consequence. Second, I don't think Texas really wanted to go after more than two teams. I think they might entertain a 12 team conf for a conf champ game, but I think they would prefer to stick with ten teams and only one yearly competitor, Oklahoma. That makes it easy for Texas to get into BCS games and play for MNCs, and keep their program top flight. So once the Big12 got to ten teams, they simply didn't have much reason to keep going and add BYU (assuming ESPN and BYU came down from their early first offer negotiation demands). I also think BYU was still in the honeymoon period with ESPN, and was a little drunk on the new money. They probably didn't think they had to give up too much of their rights deal with ESPN, since ESPN was backing everything so well. Of course in hindsight, seeing conf payouts start going up dramatically to 25million plus, BYU now sees themselves falling behind again. They would probably be willing to accept much lesser terms and join the Big12 now. Timing matters a lot in this whole conf alignment game.

As for BYU and the Pac12, Sunday play was never a real issue, though it was a symptom of the problem. The problem is that BYU is a religuous fundamentalist school, and that is an ABSOLUTE non-starter for many Pac12 schools. The faculty senate of those schools are very powerful, powerful enough to dismiss school presidents and provosts if they are particularly outraged. This was also an issue for Baylor, when they thought Texas and co. was heading for the Pac12, and desperately want to come along. Schools like Cal, Oregon, Washington, Stanford, and UCLA were never going to let BYU join. The money didn't matter. Those schools have faculty who overwhelmingly don't like fundamentalist religions. They can abide a more benign religion, but they are not about to affiliate with Mormons, born again Christians, JWs, 7thDay Adventists, etc. That is the bottom line with the Pac 12 conference, and BYU will never be admitted in the current climate. If BYU wants into a power conference, it's either Big 12, or some kind of Notre Dame-ACC style agreement, probably with the ACC. They will never get into the Big 10 or SEC either.