• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

CFB playoffs thread, presented by Segway

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Unless you're tom bout mid majors, in that case the polls need to be reworked not the amount of teams.

Mame YO

slings rocks
I like 8 just because I don't feel like there isn't enough parity in college football to really go to 16. 12 would probably work, but you would probably get a couple of lame matchups each year. It'd be like the first round of the NBA eastern conference. Meh. Poop.

8 teams would be good because, as others have mentioned, you'd give each p5 champion a spot and 3 at-large bids. And you'd have a provision for a non-p5 team to get in if they're in the top 10 or 12.

4 was destined to fail simply because there are 5 major conferences.

GuyIncognito

pressure cooker full of skittles
So make it 24 or whatever it works out to make byes. 12 team system is awful because the 8th-12th best teams at the end of the year have never once deserved a chance to play for a national title. In the history of the world, craig.

First off, that's not true. I guarantee you I can go back and find some teams in that range that had the same record as a team going to the national title via popularity contest.

Secondly, I've already said that my advocacy for a 12 team model is based on the assumption that the playoff will ultimately expand to 16+ teams. So telling me that you don't think any hypothetical 12 seed is deserving is irrelevant to the point.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
First off, that's not true. I guarantee you I can go back and find some teams in that range that had the same record as a team going to the national title via popularity contest.

Secondly, I've already said that my advocacy for a 12 team model is based on the assumption that the playoff will ultimately expand to 16+ teams. So telling me that you don't think any hypothetical 12 seed is deserving is irrelevant to the point.
Ah okay so you really dont believe in it, youre just saying that because you know something worse is coming and would prefer it. Makes sense

GuyIncognito

So make it 24 or whatever it works out to make byes. 12 team system is awful because the 8th-12th best teams at the end of the year have never once deserved a chance to play for a national title. In the history of the world, craig.

So, it turns out this happened quite often just in the last decade.

2004:
10. Boise State (12-0)

2006:
2. Florida (11-1)
9. Boise State (12-0)

2007:
1. Ohio State (11-1)
2. LSU (10-2)
10. Hawaii (12-0)

2008:
1. Oklahoma (12-1)
2. Florida (12-1)
6. Utah (12-0)
8. Penn State (11-1)
9. Boise State (12-0)

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
This is where it needs to be to satisfy both the L3G1T TEAMS hounds and semi satisfy the whiteys. All legit teams get in, huge ratings, fun times.

I'll be much more satisfied once we eliminate rematches.

-YTC

GuyIncognito

Meh, rematches don't bother me. If every game was played at a neutral site then I might be more perturbed by it, but every game is handicapped by exigent circumstances to begin with.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Meh, rematches don't bother me. If every game was played at a neutral site then I might be more perturbed by it, but every game is handicapped by exigent circumstances to begin with.
What if the road team won the previous game?

Dr. Shats Basoon

Closed mouths don't get fed
Why is 6 preferrable to 8 teams?
Why do the top 2 teams deserve a bye week?
the teams at the top of the rankings by the end of the year have barely any common opponents. you're essentially giving the top two teams a bye because they look better then the other 4. Even in this year, were a 6 team playoff would be 'perfect', how can you decide which team gets that bye weeks?
As mak said, FSU hasn't lost in 2 years but in the current climate wouldn't get a bye week, yet Alabama and Oregon do?

also, of the 6 teams in this playoff, is it a requirement that the winner of a P-5 conference be admitted?

ZeekLTK

Just make it 6 teams.

Game 1: (6) TCU @ (3) Florida State
Game 2: (5) Baylor @ (4) Ohio State

Game 3: Winner Game 1 @ (2) Oregon
Game 4: Winner Game 2 @ (1) Alabama

National Title: Winner Game 3 vs. Winner Game 4 (Neutral Site)

- Top 2 teams rewarded with a bye and home game
- Seeds 3-4 rewarded with a home game
- Seeds 5-6 get a chance to win the title, but have to beat three of the top six teams in the country in three straight weeks (2 of which are on the road, 1 at a neutral site)
- Fans don't have to spend crazy amounts of money flying to the Sugar Bowl/Rose Bowl one week and elsewhere in the country like Dallas the next week like they do now.
- A maximum of two teams each season will play more games than currently structured, and that only occurs if both the #1 and #2 seeds lose on the same day.
- Maintain bowl tie-ins with the major bowls and have the highest ranked teams from those conferences not in the playoff participate in them e.g. the highest ranked non-playoff Big Ten team v. the highest ranked non-playoff Pac 12 team play in the Rose Bowl.

This (bolded) is what I'm looking forward to: seeing if people actually go to the semifinal games or if they just save their time/money to go to the national championship.

For the basketball tournament, the neutral-site-at-each-round works because you have multiple games at each venue, so you can still fill the stadium even though a good portion of fans who are willing to travel and go to a game are waiting until later in the tournament (for "more important games") to actually go somewhere.

I wonder how many FSU fans that are willing to go to a post-season game will actually fly across the country for a semifinal game, and how many of the people who would have went if the Rose Bowl was the "end game" will wait and hope that the team wins so that they can go to the national title game instead? Actually, ditto for all the fans too - if MSU had won the B1G instead of OSU, I sure as hell wouldn't go to the semifinal game, but I would definitely go to the national title game if we made it there.

There is a reason the Super Bowl is the only neutral-venue game in the NFL; because anyone who is willing to travel to go to a big game is going to wait and save their money for the biggest one. Hardly anyone is going to fly across the country to go watch Broncos vs Patriots in Miami for a quarterfinal or semifinal game.

Last edited:

GuyIncognito

Why is 6 preferrable to 8 teams?
Why do the top 2 teams deserve a bye week?
the teams at the top of the rankings by the end of the year have barely any common opponents. you're essentially giving the top two teams a bye because they look better then the other 4. Even in this year, were a 6 team playoff would be 'perfect', how can you decide which team gets that bye weeks?
As mak said, FSU hasn't lost in 2 years but in the current climate wouldn't get a bye week, yet Alabama and Oregon do?

I like the incentives because I think generally that teams should be rewarded for having better seasons. Obviously it's not going to fit every season (as I said before, absent a shifting system you aren't going to get it right every year), but I think as a general principle it's appropriate.

An 8 team playoff that doesn't distinguish between 1 and 8 would incentivize resting players rather than playing games, and I think that's the point at which CFB starts to fundamentally change in a negative way. I don't want Jameis Winston or Marcus Mariota sitting their last games because the win or loss doesn't matter to their postseason prospects.

also, of the 6 teams in this playoff, is it a requirement that the winner of a P-5 conference be admitted?

Not in my ideal. Fuck the conferences. They can adapt to the rules, rather than the rules adapting to them.

Dr. Shats Basoon

Closed mouths don't get fed
but the top 2 teams don't have better seasons.

the reason the BCS was rid of was because it was impossible to come to a consensus on the 2 best teams.

imo the playoff was introduced to rid CFB of the 'beauty pagent' aspect that plagued the BCS, the bowl system and (for this year at least) the 4-team playoff
i don't see how your 6-team playoff does this.
all it does is kick the can down the road

GuyIncognito

but the top 2 teams don't have better seasons.

It depends on the season. Again, short of a system that changes from year to year based on the performance of the teams, we have to come up with a one-size-fits-all solution, and that inherently means that the teams aren't always going to perfectly map onto the system.

the reason the BCS was rid of was because it was impossible to come to a consensus on the 2 best teams.

imo the playoff was introduced to rid CFB of the 'beauty pagent' aspect that plagued the BCS, the bowl system and (for this year at least) the 4-team playoff
i don't see how your 6-team playoff does this.
all it does is kick the can down the road

I agree about your assessment of the BCS, but I think it's obvious how a playoff mitigates the beauty pageant aspect: by putting determinations that were previously made by the voters into the hands of the teams on the field. Under the BCS the pageant judges got to decide everything but the championship game. At least in playoff models the judges are cut out of the process far sooner, and far more is left to the game itself.

Another way to go would be to divide 120 teams into 12 conferences and put the 12 champions into a 12-team playoff. I'm OK with that too. And then the judges aren't determining teams at all, only the initial order of them.

Lightningwar

Administrator
I still feel an 8 team playoff is workable and really simple. 5 P5 conference champs. 3 beauty pageant contestants. We have a defined system for 5 teams. The other 3 are determined by the committee. Or even use the BCS rankings to pick the top 3 teams and fill it out. I don't really care. Let the momgmittee seed the teams.

I'd guess it would look something like this after this season.

#1 Alabama vs #8 Mich State
#2 Oregon vs #7 Miss St
#3 FSU vs #6 TCU
#4 tOSU vs #5 Baylor

That would be an awesome 3 weeks of football imo. Start the playoffs 2 weeks after the conference championships and have it end about the 1st or 2nd weekend in Jan.

Even more interesting would be the potential to have the first round of playoffs played on the home field of the higher ranked team.

GuyIncognito

I'd be fine with that. 8 teams is third after 6 and 12 for me haha.

And I like home games as well. Neutral site games suck, and they'll suck really bad if teams have to string a bunch of them together and fans have to choose which they can attend.

And "that would be an awesome month of football" is to me the whole point. December in CFB sucks. If this was a BCS season, I'd consider CFB season to be over by now. CFB was the only sport in existence that actually LOST its luster over the course of the season rather than building toward anything.

The playoff has already fixed that I think. Now it's just a matter of getting the model right.

Taishair

CFB with playoff>CFB without playoff. I have never been this excited towards the end of a season. I agree with @GuyIncognito six or twelve would be best. Would love to see every P5 Champion and then best team outside of champions based on Poll or committee selection. I would also love to see P5 Champions + best 2 non P5 teams + best 5 teams (again based on poll or committee).

Taishair

He's an Aggie, so he is used to being viewed as a weirdo (and probably a moron too) when he is out in the world amongst people unfamiliar with sacred Collies, jizz jars and homoerotic faux military units.

What does this have to do with the nice debate we were having about an expanded playoff versus current playoff versus BCS Era and how it all impacts teams that are either non P5 or without a conference championship game? I mean I didn't insult you did I? If so I do apologize I was here to have a semi mature chat about the changes to college football.

What does this have to do with the nice debate we were having about an expanded playoff versus current playoff versus BCS Era and how it all impacts teams that are either non P5 or without a conference championship game? I mean I didn't insult you did I? If so I do apologize I was here to have a semi mature chat about the changes to college football.

Oh, I mostly agreed with your thoughts on the playoff.

But the rest of what I wrote still stands.