• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2059 Season Thread

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
That's the first time since I've been in the league that the team who beat me hasn't advanced to the series.

TonyGin&Juice

Sucking off Lawn Guy Land hobos.
giphy.gif

WORLD SERIES HERE WE COME!!!!!!!!!!

MIAMI MANATEE FANS YOUR TEAM JUST WON THE SOUTH LEAGUE BLOODBATH CHAMPIONSHIP

GET YOUR TICKETS NOW!!!!!!!!

giphy.gif

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
At least when I upset @Lloyd Carr 's beast team in 2050 I had the self awareness to realize my team was Loathsome AF and it was just pure luck that I won a 40/60 coin flip against a better team. Even the best team vs the worst team in the playoffs is 60/40 max.

Here it is talking about a SOLID OVERALL TEAM with the corpse of pigeon vaughn starting? I thought he was on the hall of fame ballot last season!

TonyGin&Juice

Here it is talking about a SOLID OVERALL TEAM with the corpse of pigeon vaughn starting? I thought he was on the hall of fame ballot last season!

Vaughn was a backup that got put into starter when Bugs Pineda developed CTE and became Puddin' Brain.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
To me it is just a bad idea to base ur sanity in this game on playoff success. Just build ur best team and enjoy the regular season and then watch the dice rolls in the playoffs and hope for the best. There are a lot of good owners in this league all trying to put together their best teams and even of that top group that makes the playoffs, 7/8ths of them will end the season with a playoff loss. We aren't picking on some dumb CPU AI here, Basing ur hopes and dreams on playoff success is crazy.

Can't believe @Wolfman21 falling for the trog trap of trading all his players away while he's tilting when he's had the best team in the SL for a decade and has won an expected amount of championships given the number of playoff appearances he's had. It isn't even BAD LUCK when stuff like this happens, it is to be expected because only 1/8 teams gets the happy playoff story. Winning the series as a playoff team is a .125 proposition of positive outcome, significantly worse than even a Douglass Tagg at bat.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
With Wolf joining the TANK RANKS, I'm even more mad that MONGOLLOYD has all my middle round picks! I sure could've used some more lotto tickets, but I guess I needed that extra 20M of budget room so I'd have 60M in total in a non IFA year!

TonyGin&Juice

Everywhere, literally.

I can't help it if I got everybody shook talking trash about them SPREADSHEET WARRIORS and then turning around using the TG&J MULTIVARIATE MASTERPIECE MODEL to win my way with defense and contact to the WORLD SERIOUS babby. Just keep on hating and I'll keep on living that #blessed life with soon to be two WS rings.

TonyGin&Juice

Congrats... you were the best team in Varsity this year and deserved it. Good luck.

If Miami wins, the 4 seed thing is Reel.

HELS and the ship painting were the best teams on paper. Let's see how bad HELS beats us in the WS.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I can't help it if I got everybody shook talking trash about them SPREADSHEET WARRIORS and then turning around using the TG&J MULTIVARIATE MASTERPIECE MODEL to win my way with defense and contact to the WORLD SERIOUS babby. Just keep on hating and I'll keep on living that #blessed life with soon to be two WS rings.

Defense?

[xtable=skin1]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td=colspan:14}SOUTH LEAGUE SOUTH FIELDING{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Team{/td}
{td}W{/td}
{td}L{/td}
{td}PCT{/td}
{td}GB{/td}
{td}PO{/td}
{td}A{/td}
{td}TC{/td}
{td}DP{/td}
{td}TP{/td}
{td}E{/td}
{td}PCT{/td}
{td}DEF{/td}
{td}ZR{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}United Kingdom Kings{/td}
{td}92{/td}
{td}71{/td}
{td}0.564{/td}
{td}6½{/td}
{td}4413{/td}
{td}1775{/td}
{td}6255{/td}
{td}143{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}67{/td}
{td}0.989{/td}
{td}0.718{/td}
{td}75.9{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}North Dakota Riggers{/td}
{td}95{/td}
{td}67{/td}
{td}0.586{/td}
{td}3{/td}
{td}4386{/td}
{td}1715{/td}
{td}6177{/td}
{td}137{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}76{/td}
{td}0.988{/td}
{td}0.706{/td}
{td}43.8{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Kabul Bulls{/td}
{td}96{/td}
{td}66{/td}
{td}0.593{/td}
{td}2{/td}
{td}4391{/td}
{td}1559{/td}
{td}6029{/td}
{td}115{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}79{/td}
{td}0.987{/td}
{td}0.701{/td}
{td}2.7{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Halifax Maritimes{/td}
{td}98{/td}
{td}64{/td}
{td}0.605{/td}
{td}-{/td}
{td}4408{/td}
{td}1800{/td}
{td}6292{/td}
{td}144{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}84{/td}
{td}0.987{/td}
{td}0.7{/td}
{td}32.5{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Buenos Aires Gauchos{/td}
{td}70{/td}
{td}92{/td}
{td}0.432{/td}
{td}28{/td}
{td}4402{/td}
{td}1675{/td}
{td}6175{/td}
{td}146{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}98{/td}
{td}0.984{/td}
{td}0.693{/td}
{td}6.1{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}False Bay Flying Whites{/td}
{td}87{/td}
{td}75{/td}
{td}0.537{/td}
{td}11{/td}
{td}4369{/td}
{td}1794{/td}
{td}6253{/td}
{td}160{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}90{/td}
{td}0.986{/td}
{td}0.691{/td}
{td}-12.3{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Buffalo Murricans{/td}
{td}62{/td}
{td}100{/td}
{td}0.383{/td}
{td}36{/td}
{td}4307{/td}
{td}1703{/td}
{td}6120{/td}
{td}181{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}110{/td}
{td}0.982{/td}
{td}0.687{/td}
{td}-7.1{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Miami Manatees{/td}
{td}93{/td}
{td}70{/td}
{td}0.571{/td}
{td}5½{/td}
{td}4444{/td}
{td}1744{/td}
{td}6304{/td}
{td}144{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}116{/td}
{td}0.982{/td}
{td}0.673{/td}
{td}-22.3{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Little Rock Miners{/td}
{td}51{/td}
{td}111{/td}
{td}0.315{/td}
{td}47{/td}
{td}4316{/td}
{td}1765{/td}
{td}6202{/td}
{td}169{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}121{/td}
{td}0.98{/td}
{td}0.663{/td}
{td}-74.7{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
giphy.gif

TonyGin&Juice

Defense?

[xtable=skin1]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td=colspan:14}SOUTH LEAGUE SOUTH FIELDING{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Team{/td}
{td}W{/td}
{td}L{/td}
{td}PCT{/td}
{td}GB{/td}
{td}PO{/td}
{td}A{/td}
{td}TC{/td}
{td}DP{/td}
{td}TP{/td}
{td}E{/td}
{td}PCT{/td}
{td}DEF{/td}
{td}ZR{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}United Kingdom Kings{/td}
{td}92{/td}
{td}71{/td}
{td}0.564{/td}
{td}6½{/td}
{td}4413{/td}
{td}1775{/td}
{td}6255{/td}
{td}143{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}67{/td}
{td}0.989{/td}
{td}0.718{/td}
{td}75.9{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}North Dakota Riggers{/td}
{td}95{/td}
{td}67{/td}
{td}0.586{/td}
{td}3{/td}
{td}4386{/td}
{td}1715{/td}
{td}6177{/td}
{td}137{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}76{/td}
{td}0.988{/td}
{td}0.706{/td}
{td}43.8{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Kabul Bulls{/td}
{td}96{/td}
{td}66{/td}
{td}0.593{/td}
{td}2{/td}
{td}4391{/td}
{td}1559{/td}
{td}6029{/td}
{td}115{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}79{/td}
{td}0.987{/td}
{td}0.701{/td}
{td}2.7{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Halifax Maritimes{/td}
{td}98{/td}
{td}64{/td}
{td}0.605{/td}
{td}-{/td}
{td}4408{/td}
{td}1800{/td}
{td}6292{/td}
{td}144{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}84{/td}
{td}0.987{/td}
{td}0.7{/td}
{td}32.5{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Buenos Aires Gauchos{/td}
{td}70{/td}
{td}92{/td}
{td}0.432{/td}
{td}28{/td}
{td}4402{/td}
{td}1675{/td}
{td}6175{/td}
{td}146{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}98{/td}
{td}0.984{/td}
{td}0.693{/td}
{td}6.1{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}False Bay Flying Whites{/td}
{td}87{/td}
{td}75{/td}
{td}0.537{/td}
{td}11{/td}
{td}4369{/td}
{td}1794{/td}
{td}6253{/td}
{td}160{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}90{/td}
{td}0.986{/td}
{td}0.691{/td}
{td}-12.3{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Buffalo Murricans{/td}
{td}62{/td}
{td}100{/td}
{td}0.383{/td}
{td}36{/td}
{td}4307{/td}
{td}1703{/td}
{td}6120{/td}
{td}181{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}110{/td}
{td}0.982{/td}
{td}0.687{/td}
{td}-7.1{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Miami Manatees{/td}
{td}93{/td}
{td}70{/td}
{td}0.571{/td}
{td}5½{/td}
{td}4444{/td}
{td}1744{/td}
{td}6304{/td}
{td}144{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}116{/td}
{td}0.982{/td}
{td}0.673{/td}
{td}-22.3{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Little Rock Miners{/td}
{td}51{/td}
{td}111{/td}
{td}0.315{/td}
{td}47{/td}
{td}4316{/td}
{td}1765{/td}
{td}6202{/td}
{td}169{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}121{/td}
{td}0.98{/td}
{td}0.663{/td}
{td}-74.7{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
giphy.gif

Look at the last couple of weeks of the season and the paloffs hoss. There's a reason Pigeon Vaughn was on this team.

TonyGin&Juice

Reel talk - over both playoff series the D-first, bat-last BUMS I put on the field accounted for only five errors and, I think #ShookWolf would agree with this, errors played a lot in my favor in both series wins, especially the League Shampionship. If not for that E6 in the second inning ,that would have been a GIDP, game 5 would have went to the Bulls. Look at how big of a problem errors were in Game Three and you'll see why I finally made moves to improve the defense by minimizing the No Glove brigade as much as possible.

TonyGin&Juice

Listen up, Slapnuts, I ain't saying I got some magick formula or nuttin' like that G. I'm just saying I realized having Ng Phuc (with his -ZR) in RF and Ploeg (not even 2004 Johnny Damon) in LF with 50 defense at 2B was a terrible idea if I wanted to do anything more than get swept in the paloffs. Da base(ball) g-dz were smilin' down on me in both of dem series but I helped a bit by sharing FecesBook prayer memes and improving the D.

Let's be @Reel @doh - if you had told me Hermann "Gold Digger" Wideen would be the hero I would have told you to bacdafucup babby. If not or Thao not being ready I would have left him off and ShookWolf would be getting prepared to be swept by HELS instead of me. Admit it though - you hate my stylez.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Defense aside, Tony has good hitting for average and bad pitching, giving up tons of hits. Spray hitting translates well to the playoffs. So basically he has gotten lucky as hell as we approached the playoffs and sss, but that's baseball.

TonyGin&Juice

Defense aside, Tony has good hitting for average and bad pitching, giving up tons of hits. Spray hitting translates well to the playoffs. So basically he has gotten lucky as hell as we approached the playoffs and sss, but that's baseball.

giphy.gif

Not trying to pick on @Wolfman21, because we had a great series and his lineup was much better than mine overall, but his defense really let him down right at the wrong times when three of the guys I had on the playoff roster that could hit (Ploeg, Wideen, Gadd) were all white hot. It helped that two of the starters I used (Robles, Thompson) were also hot and were groundball guys so the hits weren't long balls, even though they both gave up a lot of hits. Winstone (@Schauwn) was also really good with a heavy workload and Kobayashi finally looks like the guy I thought he was when I signed him three seasons ago.

I totally get ShookWolf's frustration with the playoffs but it really is just luck - guys being hot at the right time, guys not being injured, guys not being tired. Like @Travis7401 said - you put the best team you can on the field and hope for the best. If you're lucky nobody gets hurt and nobody goes ice cold.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison

I really think the only difference between playoff baseball and regular season baseball is how roster depth is utilized. In the regular season, games are more jam packed, so to be one of the top teams, having solid backups for each position is super important for weekly substitutions or in case of injury. To be a top end team you'll also need at least 5 good starters and a good deep bullpen as well, you can't afford leaks if you want to win 60% of ur games (if you run a gimmick system, that main reliever gets as many innings as a starter, so the point stands). This is how the top teams in each league are typically built, these teams will make the playoffs even in spite of injuries and bad luck because they've got the depth and skill to cope. Halifax and Borg both had substantial negative triangles this year, indicating some bad luck (fax also had a bad 1 run record, more bad luck) but they finished 1st in their respective leagues anyway and a lot of that is due to their overall roster depth. These teams have 30+ capable WBL players

Then teams 3-7 are typically all capable of making the playoffs if they get some luck, avoid critical injuries, etc because their starters and best 3-4 pitchers are all good enough players that they can win, but they often don't have the depth to withstand injury or poor performances for key players. Their best lineup Morale issues also often come into play with teams like this who are on the cusp of the playoffs. If they hit a rough patch and get some bad morale going they won't recover in time. I'd put the riggers in this category talent wise, but I think their HIGH MORALE from Douglass is what keeps them afloat year after year, but even when I finish #1 or #2 I often have less actual talent than the #3 or #4 team I face in the playoffs.

Now if one of those teams hits the playoffs, then you enter coin flip land of SSS and everyone's roster is good enough to win. I think this is especially evident with starting pitching, and Tony's team is a great example. His pitching ratings are middle of the pack in the SL, but if you look at his playoff pitching setup where your top 3 starters get the vast majority of your innings, suddenly he's got one of the best staffs in the SL for that environment.

Last edited:

TonyGin&Juice

Now if one of those teams hits the playoffs, then you enter coin flip land of SSS and everyone's roster is good enough to win. I think this is especially evident with starting pitching, and Tony's team is a great example. His pitching ratings are middle of the pack in the SL, but if you look at his playoff pitching setup where your top 3 starters get the vast majority of your innings, suddenly he's got one of the best staffs in the league for that environment.

I had to leave some guys off of the playoff roster that I really thought could help on the pitching side that I got from @Soonerfan09 and @Karl Hungus but I knew if we got a lead I was going to need some serious defense to hold it. That's why Thao and Foucault, both black holes offensively but great at LF and RF defensively, were on the playoff roster instead of a good BP arm like Marvin Garner. The pitching gave up a lot of hits but emphasizing defense (read: bum ass Pigeon Vaughn and Douglas "All glove, no bat love" Vaughn) seemed to have helped a bit since those D-first guys, I don't think, had errors when they were in.

Should be an interesting World Series. QUAL has a legit lineup even without Villareal and I can see ICEMAN just dicing my guys up, especially the bottom half of the lineup.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
My prediction is that the bottom half of your lineup will all hit for 1.000 OPS this series and you'll win it all. Then next year they'll play to their ratings and you'll win 70 but it won't matter because you'll have the BANNER wrapped around ur head. b

TonyGin&Juice

My prediction is that the bottom half of your lineup will all hit for 1.000 OPS this series and you'll win it all. Then next year they'll play to their ratings and you'll win 70 but it won't matter because you'll have the BANNER wrapped around ur head. b

If I were playing checkers like some pleb, sure, but don't you know me by now babby? I'm playing dat chess game.

I doubt half of these guy will be on my team after the World Serious, especially if they're due to get raises in ARB.

Wooly

We will never hear the end of it if he wins a championship flag with his own spreadsheet warrior roster.

@TonyGin&Juice, are you prepared for the possibility of a championship? Does Miami have enough 2 dollar crack hoez? Do you need to bring in some extra from elsewhere in the south? I just don't want to see South Beach engulfed in riots and car fires because you don't have enough hookers and blow.