• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2044 Off-Season Thread (GET YOUR ST ROSTERS READY)

Lloyd Carr

You're fine osick. I don't have any issue with people voicing their opinion, and I'd hate for you to sit on your hands if there was ever something you wanted to say.

I don't have any issue with you making a trade that helps your team (same with jd and everyone else). I, personally, think the trade, on face value, is pretty one sided (giving up a probable AAA lifer for quality WBL starters and solid draft picks that will help your team down the line), but there is value for both sides in what each team is trying to do. I wouldn't veto the trade, because both teams get what they want. It's just, on face value, the trade looks turrible. The same reason a lot of you'll got up in arms about the Nico trade; because on face value the trade looked wrong.

I just figured if people are going to make a stink about my attempted trades, I'm going to make a stink about those that don't look right to me. I'm not going to veto any trades, and I'm not going to pout, but the same way I'd want you to raise concerns, I figured I'd voice my opinion on the trade. If JD gets Bug, the trade evens out because he'd have essentially gotten Bug by giving up that package. If he doesn't get Bug, the trade makes less sense from his perspective, but whatever.

My stink was more out of my own feelings of having been fucked by the mob in the past, by having trades that would have helped my team negatively talked about and eventually nullified because people got up in arms over their own idea of value (which we all clearly have different definitions for), and kind of forced OU's hand to do things differently (it's probably unfair of me to say OU made decisions out of negative feedback rather than his own desires, but I'm a dick so I'll presume it anyway).

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I backtracked off the Ammar trade being shit when Lloyd showed what 1-1 went for before. I'd argue that Ammar was better than Ruiz but it's probably not worth it. My opinion was if OU is auctioning off Ammar he wants more assets. Sure the 1-1 player probably will be a better one on one value than what figs gave up but I'd say the overall value will be better. If OU-11 would have picked Lloyd's offer I would have been fine with it after that. I didn't think it was near the return as getting 3 prospective MLers.

I was never really considering LC's 1-1 trade, although it is definitely the one I would have preferred just because I enjoy 1-1s so much. I wouldn't go to auction for that though, I wanted to give him to someone who really wanted him and where he would significantly help. Very happy with what I received from Cairo, I've wanted Chen back ever since I traded him.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Evaluating trades is easy.

qobALFt.png

osick87

Community Liaison
I think the problem is you guys only look at the player and not what he can realistically get in the open market.

Then I don't make the trade just to make a trade. If no offer meets my fancy, then I'll just keep the player until there is a return I like, whether it be lowering expectations or somebody coming up to the plate.

I think I have shown I will give fair trades. This @jdlikewhoa one is probably the least face value fair of them all. When you realize how much salary I took for the least valuable position, it makes it more fair like Lloyd said. The Davies thing was something I started off wanting to ship one of my decrepit, expensive OFs but figured that Davies was worth keeping that 14 mil around.

Gooksta

I
Then I don't make the trade just to make a trade. If no offer meets my fancy, then I'll just keep the player until there is a return I like, whether it be lowering expectations or somebody coming up to the plate.
Im the same way bro

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Then I don't make the trade just to make a trade. If no offer meets my fancy, then I'll just keep the player until there is a return I like, whether it be lowering expectations or somebody coming up to the plate..

Well the problem is that Nico is a depreciating asset, there is no "wait until the return is higher" since it will always decline. Nobody wanted to say it but nobody wanted Nico for the same reason it took me to give up two crappy assets to sway LC into giving me Robles.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Nico is worth more than a late first imo

No he isn't, because nobody would give up more than a late first. This isn't fairytale land where I can say Nico is worth a high first and it be so, he is worth what the highest bidder pays.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Hindsight is a crazy thing.

Some of us have foresight and knew what was going to happen. Knowing what you're doing is a crazy thing. After everybody said they'd give up so much I was skeptical but said okay, no one ended up trading for him though. Strange.

Gooksta

No he isn't, because nobody would give up more than a late first. This isn't fairytale land where I can say Nico is worth a high first and it be so, he is worth what the highest bidder pays.
Well thats true.. but his actual worth is more than a fringy wbl player. Which is what ur most likely getting with a late first round pick..

Take any pick from 10-16 in this draft.. non of em are close to being a nico. Even as an aging vet

NML

Been way too long since I made a trade. Everyone is for sale, could use a left fielder, right handed DH, or a starter for my rotation

osick87

Community Liaison
I don't know if my owner is going to be willing to take this much salary so I'm not going to draft anyone until the sim. Sorry to everyone waiting

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
It's fine, I'm just saying when you come at the king you best not miss because time after time "hindsight is a crazy thing" is spoken about things I do.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
@osick87 what are you spending money on? The website gives a messed up glimpse (not the full picture) but it says you have a 130M budget and 45M in payroll, why are you worried about your owner?

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
It's fine, I'm just saying when you come at the king you best not miss because time after time "hindsight is a crazy thing" is spoken about things I do.
Lol that's not at all what I meant. Hindsight can be applied to any trade. It's not the right way to evaluate value at that time. The unique situation of your team also makes you prone to just throwing players away.

osick87

Community Liaison
Are you over your budget already?

I think I should be fine. I was given 30 mil for FAs, 50 mil for exts and 7.5 for Draft picks. I'm likely going to bow out of the IFA race (sans a few) so that 30 mil will be towards a few cheap FAs and Draft pick over budget.

Just want to make sure because I'm usually trying to dump money.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I don't know if my owner is going to be willing to take this much salary so I'm not going to draft anyone until the sim. Sorry to everyone waiting
What does this even mean? You know exactly how much your owner will allow. It's not a surprise.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Lol that's not at all what I meant. Hindsight can be applied to any trade. It's not the right way to evaluate value at that time. The unique situation of your team also makes you prone to just throwing players away.

Well in the end I look like a genius for trying to get Robles when everyone said it was the most ridiculous trade ever, that makes me happy enough.

osick87

Community Liaison
I don't look at that stuff very much since I'm cheap. I just assume 90% of the roster being 2 mil or less makes my owner happy and allows me to spend max on scouting and very high on Development. I never lower those two.