• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2024: The Offseason Thread

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Yeah, I mean, I get what you’re saying @OU11 I just don’t entirely agree with it either if your conclusion is that they weren’t a contender. The way they felt about FSU there’s a world where it was Michigan/bama/texas/oregon imo. We’ll never know obviously but I don’t think there is enough certainty to write them off either.
Georgia would have got in over Oregon

Mame YO

slings rocks
I think that’s a fair argument. Again, I don’t think it’s a certainty which is where we disagree. To say Oregon wasn’t a contender feels like a strong statement to me. A 1 loss Oregon that avenged their only loss in the pac12 title game would’ve been very compelling.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I think that’s a fair argument. Again, I don’t think it’s a certainty which is where we disagree. To say Oregon wasn’t a contender feels like a strong statement to me. A 1 loss Oregon that avenged their only loss in the pac12 title game would’ve been very compelling.
It’s not even that I agree with it, but the pac had to go undefeated to make a playoff. They were in the same tier as the ACC in that they weren’t a real power conference. Only reason Texas got in was because of them beating Bama. If they didn’t play Bama Georgia would have jumped them

Mame YO

slings rocks
I think it’s funny how the preseason narrative around the pac12 shifted by playoff time. It went from DEEPEST CONFERENCE OTHER THAN SEC HARD SCHEDULE to LOL WEAK YOU PLAYED NOBODY. I know @Brick did this. Early in the season it was no way Oregon was going to beat Wazzu, Utah, Washington, usc, Oregon state. At the end of the season it was WHO DID THEY EVEN PLAY?

A lot of this is some of the teams didn’t live up to expectations (usc) or got hurt (Utah) but a good chunk of it was just 9 conference games leading to more losses and the media narrative imo.

Mame YO

slings rocks
Nix had the highest PFF grade while under pressure of any QB in college last season, but go off.

I’m not saying Oregon would’ve won but this idea that nix crumbles under pressure is a dumb utopia specific narrative that doesn’t stand up to scrutiny. @Brick wrong again.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I think it’s funny how the preseason narrative around the pac12 shifted by playoff time. It went from DEEPEST CONFERENCE OTHER THAN SEC HARD SCHEDULE to LOL WEAK YOU PLAYED NOBODY. I know @Brick did this. Early in the season it was no way Oregon was going to beat Wazzu, Utah, Washington, usc, Oregon state. At the end of the season it was WHO DID THEY EVEN PLAY?

A lot of this is some of the teams didn’t live up to expectations (usc) or got hurt (Utah) but a good chunk of it was just 9 conference games leading to more losses and the media narrative imo.
We don’t matter, the committee does and a one loss pac team might as well have 4

Mame YO

slings rocks
We don’t matter, the committee does and a one loss pac team might as well have 4
We don’t matter but the talking heads on ESPN do. The narrative shift I described isn’t specific to utopia.

And, I mean, some of it is fine. Going from DEEPEST CONFERENCE to BACKWATER based largely on vibes is quite an exaggeration though.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
We don’t matter but the talking heads on ESPN do. The narrative shift I described isn’t specific to utopia.

And, I mean, some of it is fine. Going from DEEPEST CONFERENCE to BACKWATER based largely on vibes is quite an exaggeration though.
I think it was because the beavs and cougs died. Also the talking heads on ESPN do matter in that they get their marching orders from the committee. It’s why Kirk was already talking about FSU being left out before Travis went down. It’s how we know Oregon never had a shot

Mame YO

slings rocks
Nix against pressure:

#1 PFF grade
#1 passer efficiency rating
#1 completion percentage (67%, which would be 18th nationally overall)
#3 touchdowns

Another L for @Brick

Brick

he was never under pressure. he got sacked 10 times in 2 years. liberty was 2nd in the country with 9 allowed just last year. he puckered like a bitch when he was.

Mame YO

slings rocks
don’t move the goalposts. I could quote you calling him BACKFOOT BO a million times but I won’t bother because we both know you enjoyed that narrative. The fact is that when he was under pressure he performed well statistically, in fact, he was the best in the country under pressure statistically.

It wasn’t that long ago you accused me of engaging in confirmation bias. You watched the UW games and saw him miss a couple of throws and latched onto a narrative. What do we call that again?

Brick

i am sure there is some nba player out there who is 5-5 in free throws for the season. steph should bow down.

if ur dumbass pays for PFF show the actual #s

Mame YO

slings rocks
PFF posts on twitter lol. I don’t pay the $50+monthly fee to get those stats.

They're season stats. Nix attempted nearly 500 passes lol.

Cope.

Mame YO

slings rocks
Source?

According to this article from 11/23 (obviously before season end) from USA Today there were 83 pressures allowed, 5 sacks.

Georgia allowed 94, 10 and Texas allowed 108, 22… to me to me this implies that Nix avoided sacks but that’s just me.

I don’t see pressures allowed as a stat on the ncaa website.

Ander1345

I ain't got friends, I got FamILLy
I would like someone to start a service that identifies or approximates relative NIL capacity for any given program so I can explicitly root for NIL underdogs to win every game.

Brick

DJ uliigigial had more pass yards than BACK FOOT under pressure. also LEGENDS jack plummer, joe milton III, graham mertz, and 30 others. and noah fifita who played like half a season lol.

Mame YO

slings rocks
I would like someone to start a service that identifies or approximates relative NIL capacity for any given program so I can explicitly root for NIL underdogs to win every game.
247 has NIL value per player and NIL budget per program

Mame YO

slings rocks
DJ uliigigial had more pass yards than BACK FOOT under pressure. also LEGENDS jack plummer, joe milton III, graham mertz, and 30 others. and noah fifita who played like half a season lol.
Still going to need you to cite your sources. In any case, it seems obvious that nix was under pressure less than others because Oregon had a good line. A full season of production seems like a fair sample size regardless, the best you can ask for a full time starter that missed no time imo.

Mame YO

slings rocks
I mean, it isn’t like he played 2 games or played in a heavy run offense. Oregon passed the ball 55% of the time and his 470 pass attempts was 4th behind UW, wazzu, Memphis.

Brick

who even are these fuckers behind him.Screenshot_20240210_175113_Chrome.jpg
werent you talking about how amazing oregons pass rush was and they couldnt touch penix because he got the ball out too fast? pressured 158 times.

Mame YO

slings rocks
Im not seeing pass yards while under pressure on a site that I’m using, which is why I asked for a source.

You’re arguing that Nix’s stats don’t matter because the sample size is small, but he has played nonstop for two straight seasons lol. I get that both seasons he has had a really good line.