• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2023 Season: The Week 12 Thread - Blink Wave

Brick

He’s only been a head corch at two schools doe before tejas and one of them was mostly just happy if they got a bowl game (Washington lol). USC was the only school that fits the label you’re putting on him and he only had 2 years to CROOT before he got canned. Idk I’m not really interested in getting backed into defending the guy but maybe he could’ve done something with those two classes if he got to stay long enough to, you know, actually use those players.
good coaches get immediate results with the players that are already there with the exception of really bad crootin programs.

it doesnt take 3-4 years. he has been at usc and texas for fucks sake. bama was dogshit before saban came, won 12 in his second year, never looked back. same with urban meyer at florida, same with kelly at ND, saban at LSU, etc. stoops won a national title in year 2 when oklahoma had been awful for a decade. you think they magically got better CROOTS?

good coaching is at least double the value of good crootin. there is no excuse for texas, miami, tennessee, usc, etc. to be lousy for literal decades at a time with the players they pull in. they have better players in 80% of the games they play in. so what.

kirby smart should know better of all examples. richt was never hurting for good players and could never get over the hump.

Brick

urban blew out oregon in the national title game with a 3 star 3rd string qb who was fresh off the bench.

Brick

i always laugh at GREAT GAMEDAY CORCH, BUT CAN HE CROOT?

cfb at the highest level is a 3-4 game season against teams with similar talent. this isnt NASHNUL. most of those games are gonna be close. if you are at a coaching disadvantage on gameday you are fucked. if youd rather be #4 in crootin vs #16 than have a corch with a brain, go nuts.

Mame YO

slings rocks
Semi-revisionist history with bama. Saban took over in 2007 and they were bad in 2006 but they went 10-2 in 2005 and also 10-3 in 2002. There was some talent on the roster it was being underutilized, bama was seen as a turnkey winner the same way aTm is today.

With USC they were coming back from sanctions.

Ohio state had better CROOTS when they blew out Oregon.

100% I don’t disagree about good corching but I’m telling you that you don’t get results without both. If it’s one thing I learned from the chip years is that at the very least you need elite talent on the lines. If it’s something else I learned from the CROOT corch years it’s that the talent doesn’t help if the corching is bad. The thing about Lanning is that it looks like Oregon might have both for the first time. DeBoer is a good corch but UW can’t recruit and that’s going to be a problem for them long term. We have nothing but time on this. Oregon is already the better team top to bottom right now, give it a year or two.

Mame YO

slings rocks
I think it’s dumb as a fan but people genuinely believe aTm as a JOB is one of the best places to be from a resources standpoint (somehow, it seems like all the pissy doners would be a problem but whatever).

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
I mean, it isn’t like Clay Helton worked out…

@BasinBictory ???

Helton was the ultimate "path of least resistance" hire in history. I fully understand why he was hired at the time; the back-to-back embarrassments of Kiffin getting tarmac-ed and then Sarkisian getting blasted drunk at an alumni / booster function meant the administration just wanted a halfway sane adult who wouldn't cause off-field embarrassment. In a normal world, he'd have been fired after 2018 when it was clear he was not ever going to build a sustainable successful program. He had two solid years with Darnold, but it was clearly all down hill from there.

The unforgivable thing was when Lynn Swann gave him that outrageous 6 year extension. That is the height of stupidity on Swann's part. You only extend a corch when other programs are trying to poach him or the NFL is busting down his door. Neither was happening.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
I forgot about sark getting blasted at the booster function lol

It was.....spectacular. I first heard about it on talk radio, and they had a recording of his drunken antics at the event. Talk about blowing up your career! Still, he seemed to land on his feet okay, and hopefully figured out his addiction.

Brick

their worst commit is a fucking 3 star, not that it means anything.

oregon fans would throw a fucking hissy fit if they signed mariota or herbert in 23.

Mame YO

slings rocks
who are you arguing with? i said good coaching is more valuable than recruiting. insecure CROOTIN chuds always strawman this shit.

based on fucking what?
I already pointed out that their veteran laden defense is awful and most likely won’t be better. Fwiw I looked up Oregon’s defense from last year and it was 75th in total defense and 74th in scoring defense vs UW’s 94th/47th performance so far this season. So not good! (this season oregon has the 16th ranked total defense and 10th ranked scoring defense)

I’m focusing on the defensive numbers because it shows a problem that Penix and Odunze and the other recievers largely mask on offense - which is that the team as it exists isn’t that good in the first place aside from a specific matchup problem that it generates. The defense is a veteran unit that’s about to be replaced by young players and at best you’re getting uncertainty and all you can do in that scenario is project based on known information, recruiting info and/or playing time. We have no information that DeBoer has had good defenses so far at UW. We can’t just assume that he will.

And that’s what I’m saying. You can’t just assume that because DeBoer is a good corch that he’s going to be able to magically replace 2/3rds of his roster including all of his star players without a major step back, given that there is no apparent talent pipeline to replace hardly any of those outgoing players. I see it as a reasonable issue to point out for them lol.

Brick

a team that isnt that good in the first place outside of 2 players doesnt win 18 games in a row.

Brick

oregons longest winning streak is 13 games. is it time to have the discussion of if penix/odunze is a better combo than montana/rice?

Mame YO

slings rocks
a team that isnt that good in the first place outside of 2 players doesnt win 18 games in a row.
You already said it yourself that you’re basically only playing like 4 reel games. If that’s the case look at their games vs Arizona, Utah, Oregon, OSU, throw in USC for shits. All barely scraped by and literally all of them the defining feature of the game was their matchup advantage with the QB/WRs.

And I’m a bit butthurt but this isn’t a catch:
IMG_1445.jpeg

Brick

the only 4th downs i remember from the game are the ones where BACK FOOT BO didnt even get the ball anywhere near his receivers hands for there to even be a question.

Mame YO

slings rocks
the only 4th downs i remember from the game are the ones where BACK FOOT BO didnt even get the ball anywhere near his receivers hands for there to even be a question.
To circle back around on Lanning. They’re 1 4th down conversion by Oregon this year (setting aside that bad call I just showed lol) from an undefeated season so far, and probably a healthy bo nix last year from a playoff berth. You keep bringing up the 0-3 vs his rivals thing but, man, the ball bounces real close sometimes. That’s despite all the reasons you find to knock them.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
new Caledonia got fucked up