• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2023 Season: The Bowl Thread - Lucky Man

BearDownUofA

Festizio
Oh namecalling
yes-danielbryan.gif

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Putting aside all the bullshit, I love this team. Amazing 3 years. Don’t care what happens next.

Same here. This team is up there with the 1996 Ice Hockey Title (I drove from Ann Arbor to Cincy for that game) and the 1997 Football Title because I had classes with some of the players from that team (Friends of mine lived across the street from some of the O-Line and they would party with us in the offseason).

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Yes, I'm taking a victory lap.

Who could have predicted that Michigan's defense could handle a passing attack with an NFL QB and NFL WRs?

Michigan beat an OSU team in 2021 with a first round QB and 3 first round WRs. With a significantly worse secondary than they have now.

But Michigan has done fine against better passing attacks (OSU in 2021 and 2022) with this defensive scheme and many of the same defensive players.

Oh, huh. Weird.

Does Michigan have one of the best secondaries in college footbaw? IMO, we really don't know. Maybe.

So, do we look at recruiting rankings for this? Or actual production? Because Michigan just put 1 good passing offense and 1 elite passing offense in a body bag. Not sure if that's enough. Where do we come out here, @Mame YO?

Mame YO

slings rocks
@DeadMan Michigan’s d is legit. They took a big fat stick and threw it in UW’s spokes. I was rooting for them. I just wanted to talk ball. It’s all good. Take yes for an answer and go pick on some Ohio state fans or something.

Mame YO

slings rocks
Final ap top 25
1. Michigan15-0
2. Washington14-1
3. Texas12-2
4. Georgia13-1
5. Alabama12-2
6. Oregon12-2
6. Florida St.13-1
8. Missouri11-2
9. Ole Miss11-2
10. Ohio State11-2
11. Arizona10-3
12. LSU10-3
13. Penn State10-3
14. Notre Dame10-3
15. Oklahoma10-3
16. Oklahoma State10-4
17. Tennessee9-4
18. Kansas State9-4
19. Louisville10-4
20. Clemson9-4
21. NC State9-4
22. SMU11-3
23. Kansas9-4
24. Iowa10-4
25. Liberty13-1

ESPN’s way too early top 25 is wildin’
1) Georgia
2) Texas
3) Oregon
4) Alabama
5) Ohio State
6) Michigan
7) Ole Miss
8) Missouri
9) Arizona
10) Notre Dame
11) Washington
12) Penn State
13) Utah
14) LSU
15) Oklahoma
16) FSU
17) Tennessee
18) Oklahoma State
19) Clemson
20) NC State
21) Kansas State
22) louisville
23) Kansas
24) SMU
25) Iowa

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
If you want to talk ball, I was surprised by 3 things last night:
  1. Michigan's blown coverages. That hadn't really happened all year, and they blew multiple coverages last night. We were really fortunate that Penix missed that throw in the first half, because that was a walk-in TD. It happened a few other times, too. I expected Washington's success through the air to come on contested catches or well-schemed plays. That happened, but Michigan also made some uncharacteristic mistakes.
  2. Michigan got more pass rush than I expected. I didn't think they would get home as often as they did, because Washington's OL was elite in pass protection. They had only allowed 11 sacks all year. Michigan only got one sack, but they hit Penix a lot. It was a big factor in why Penix missed a bunch of throws. Michigan's DL is great, but they don't have those edge freaks that can dominate in the pass. But they still got home a lot.
  3. Washington run fits were fucking atrocious. On the second Edwards TD, the DE vacates his gap (into the gap the safety had) and allows for an easy TD. And you can see all the LBs flowing the complete wrong direction at the snap, too. On the first Edwards TD, the LB and safeties fling themselves at the mass of players Edwards bumps into. That turned a 10-15 yard gain into a TD. I expected Michigan to have success on the ground, but I didn't think Washington would light themselves on fire like that.

Mame YO

slings rocks
I was thinking the score would be like 31-21 or 31-24. 13 points for WARSHINGTON. Damn. If you want to get PATE STATE and go PADLOCK STAT on the game, Washington had 13 possessions for 13 points. Before the game I would’ve bet that 13 possessions would’ve favored UW. Michigan’s coverage was pretty damn good overall I wouldn’t beat yourself up too much over a couple plays.

CJ_24

I was thinking the score would be like 31-21 or 31-24. 13 points for WARSHINGTON. Damn. If you want to get PATE STATE and go PADLOCK STAT on the game, Washington had 13 possessions for 13 points. Before the game I would’ve bet that 13 possessions would’ve favored UW. Michigan’s coverage was pretty damn good overall I wouldn’t beat yourself up too much over a couple plays.
PENIX was terrible. Overthrew wide open dudes all night

fried rice

Who wants to sex Mutombo?
PENIX was terrible. Overthrew wide open dudes all night

I think he got SHOOK after getting his innards smushed by the D-Line all night. From what I saw in the second half, he wasn’t really setting his feet or stepping up in the pocket much at that point. And seemed like a lot of drops on some of the quick-hit routes they ran.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
I just want college football to get better as the season goes on. The fuckin post season should be even better, but it is always a wet fart in comparison to the regular season. Maybe the 12 team playoff will liven it up, but the stupid bowls got to go. They are just shit.

Dr. Shats Basoon

Closed mouths don't get fed
Washington's passing offense looked like shit. Penix's throws were off the mark frequently and a lot of times the WR's didn't do a great job bailing him out. A lot of credit has to go to Michigan's defense, they looked incredible. Dillon Johnson being a limp chode probably made Michigan be a little more aggressive defending the pass and rushing the QB

Mame YO

slings rocks
I know the cheating stuff is going to hang over this title at least until the NCAA concludes their investigation but, idk, it should probably be said that Michigan beat Penn state, Ohio state, Alabama, Washington pretty much all in a row without the Conner Stallions cheat scheme and that was basically their entire schedule given how soft the B1G was. I’m not turning into a Meatchicken fan or anything but I’m just sayin’. Just a tiny little bit of nuance.

goblue96

My favorite player on this Michigan team has been Sainristil. From unheralded WR recruit to a lock-down nickel corner and team captain. Love that guy.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
I think Penix was obviously dealing with a few different injuries even from the start of the game.

Ander1345

I ain't got friends, I got FamILLy
My favorite player on this Michigan team has been Sainristil. From unheralded WR recruit to a lock-down nickel corner and team captain. Love that guy.
I like JJ best because he's from the greatest state in this cursed Union.

goblue96

I like JJ best because he's from the greatest state in this cursed Union.
After JJ committed to UM, I talked a couple friends of mine from Chicago who watched him play and ask if he was the real deal or putting numbers playing dogwater HS teams. They told me he was the real deal and they were right.

Dr. Shats Basoon

Closed mouths don't get fed
I know the cheating stuff is going to hang over this title at least until the NCAA concludes their investigation but, idk, it should probably be said that Michigan beat Penn state, Ohio state, Alabama, Washington pretty much all in a row without the Conner Stallions cheat scheme and that was basically their entire schedule given how soft the B1G was. I’m not turning into a Meatchicken fan or anything but I’m just sayin’. Just a tiny little bit of nuance.
I mean the scandal broke in October, during the middle of the season. You can't redesign an offense on the fly during the middle of the season

Ander1345

I ain't got friends, I got FamILLy
After JJ committed to UM, I talked a couple friends of mine from Chicago who watched him play and ask if he was the real deal or putting numbers playing dogwater HS teams. They told me he was the real deal and they were right.
Can't go wrong with IMG athletes, I hoenstly had no idea until post game that JJ was from IL. Both of the Brown twins came to us from IMG and they both had excellent careers and are seeing decent playing time in the NFL.

Don't know that we'll see a kid from Illinois as good as McCarthy for a very long time... I do like the kid from my HS Colton Gumino Jr(2025 recruit), but not even in the same universe as McCarthy.

Mame YO

slings rocks
I mean the scandal broke in October, during the middle of the season. You can't redesign an offense on the fly during the middle of the season
True, but you can change your signs up. You can more or less figure out an offense from film, that’s allowed. These schools have unlimited GAs charting film, they’ve charted everything you’ve done going back years.

(Again, this isn’t meant as a full throated defense of Michigan, I just think it’s worth mentioning)

goblue96

Can't go wrong with IMG athletes, I hoenstly had no idea until post game that JJ was from IL. Both of the Brown twins came to us from IMG and they both had excellent careers and are seeing decent playing time in the NFL.

Don't know that we'll see a kid from Illinois as good as McCarthy for a very long time... I do like the kid from my HS Colton Gumino Jr(2025 recruit), but not even in the same universe as McCarthy.
Yeah, my friends live in Downers Grove and the husband does the in-game stats for Downers Grove South. The wife's dad used to do scouting for Tom Lemming and his HS scouting service back in the 70s and 80s.

People don't realize how big the gap really is from D1 athlete to the average HS player. Hell, I see it in the field hockey games I officiate. The future D1 athletes just make average HS players look silly. Then there is gap, in football, with high D1 school players and those players going to schools like UMess. These top tier recruits are just genetic and physical freaks.

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
Yeah, my friends live in Downers Grove and the husband does the in-game stats for Downers Grove South. The wife's dad used to do scouting for Tom Lemming and his HS scouting service back in the 70s and 80s.

People don't realize how big the gap really is from D1 athlete to the average HS player. Hell, I see it in the field hockey games I officiate. The future D1 athletes just make average HS players look silly. Then there is gap, in football, with high D1 school players and those players going to schools like UMess. These top tier recruits are just genetic and physical freaks.
I played against several current NBA players in HS. They were dropping 30+ as 8th graders against kids 3-4 years older than them lol. And we were a pretty decent HS team, it's not like we were rural BUMS.

goblue96

I played against several current NBA players in HS. They were dropping 30+ as 8th graders against kids 3-4 years older than them lol. And we were a pretty decent HS team, it's not like we were rural BUMS.
My HS basketball team played against one kid when he was an 8th grader, who ended up going to Temple for one year before he had to leave because he was dumb as a doorpost. He was 6'6" in 8th grade and put our entire forward line in the blender and in so much foul trouble that my 5'10" skinny ass had to guard him. I had brief moments of glory but he still worked my ass too.