• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2018-2019 Prem / Farewell Stoke Threade - who ate all the pies?

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
I just need @hayvis to let me know if it's okay for me to be happy and content. I wanted to cheer and delight in the victory, but I wasn't certain if it was allowed.

-YTC

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
I just need @hayvis to let me know if it's okay for me to be happy and content. I wanted to cheer and delight in the victory, but I wasn't certain if it was allowed.

-YTC

Absolutely not. It's early in the season and your thin squad is going to be fucked by the new year. Be pessimistic, like Arsenal fans.

NML

So excited to watch Bucket Bob in the EPL. I'm sure he'll finish mid table the next two years and then get sacked because of no reason.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
So excited to watch Bucket Bob in the EPL. I'm sure he'll finish mid table the next two years and then get sacked because of no reason.

Two years is probably realistic, but I do think he's going to be on a longer leash than most managers in the league because of the American owners.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Arsenal making Bradley look like offensive genius

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Pep Guardiola is full on bonkers fucking around with Aguero and Kompany. Two best players in an average side. Now teams have worked out how to pressure his system (that didn't take long), he's going to be in trouble without them.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
ManU was awful midweek against Liverpool too. They were just lucky Liverpool matched them in that regard.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
This year sucks. I have to keep like 5 backstories straight and am constantly checking on goal difference and shit :laughing:

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
@TrojanMan @Orlando just curious why you guys ended up Chelsea fans?

For me, it's a mostly boring, analytical story.

--Before NBC picked up Prem coverage over here (and shows all the games), it was only a few a week on TV. And they were mostly the bigger clubs. If was going to support a team, I wanted to be able to watch all/most of their games, so that eliminated a big chunk of the league right off the bat.

--I didn't want to jump onboard the Yankees or Lakers of the league -- i.e. the team(s) with the most titles, most glamorous past, etc. That eliminated Liverpool (at that time they still had the most)

--I was leaning towards a London team, figuring that whenever I went to England I'd like to see a game, and chances are if I was vacationing in England, it'd be in London (and I subsequently went to a game at Stanford Bridge like 5 years ago). That dropped Everton and United.

--I had it down to Chelsea, Arsenal, and Tottenham at that point. I ended up going with Chelsea because I liked how physical they played, I liked a lot of the players on the squad at the time, and @Shakabreaux was already a Chelsea fan, and I thought it'd be more fun to root with him than against him.

BIG EVIL

America's Finest
I'll answer this question too as a Chelsea supporter just because I think it's interesting to see how everyone in the States come to support a team an ocean away. My answer is much shorter than TM's and is basically one word: Drogba. My first experience with world football was the 06 World Cup and he was the guy I was drawn to immediately. And as TM said, they were one of few teams where you could actually watch a large portion of their games here. Blue being my favorite color probably factored in a bit as well.

chibob

Was just curious as recently the Chelsea fan base (maybe just a minority of it) seems to be going back to their roots. These roots being racist, anti Semitic, homophobic, white supremacy and just general hooligan thugs.

Not sure if @hayvis will agree with me but if there are a group of fans more odious than Chelsea right now, it's West Ham.

Obviosuly what happens on the field and off the field are two separate things but it's just a grim domestic fan base.

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
Was just curious as recently the Chelsea fan base (maybe just a minority of it) seems to be going back to their roots. These roots being racist, anti Semitic, homophobic, white supremacy and just general hooligan thugs.

Not sure if @hayvis will agree with me but if there are a group of fans more odious than Chelsea right now, it's West Ham.

Obviosuly what happens on the field and off the field are two separate things but it's just a grim domestic fan base.

Not here, as professional soccer is so far down the pecking order of sports, that most of the dumbshit hooligans don't know it exists. They don't make it past the NFL and SEC football. :trollface:

Honestly, Chelsea's reputation for past hooliganism was a turn-off when I was 'researching' teams. But from half a world away, it seemed like that element had largely been pushed aside in favor of a swankier crowd, after Abramovich started sinking hundreds of millions into the club.

I sat in the Shed End a few rows off the pitch when I went, and it definitely wasn't 'swanky' in there. :laughing: But nothing worse than you'd see at a lot of sporting events here -- a collection of drunken idiots with limited vocabularies who think they're much funnier and more amusing than they are.

wolverine318

Mod Alumni
Doesn't racist, anti Semitic, homophobic, white supremacy and just general hooligan thugs cover about most of England in general?

Kidding aside.

I'm kind of like Trojan Man. They were on TV, wanted to follow a bigger team. I like the player at the time. I started watching heavily a couple of years ago and just found I liked watching them and their style of play more than other teams.

chibob

Doesn't racist, anti Semitic, homophobic, white supremacy and just general hooligan thugs cover about most of England in general?

Kidding aside.

I'm kind of like Trojan Man. They were on TV, wanted to follow a bigger team. I like the player at the time. I started watching heavily a couple of years ago and just found I liked watching them and their style of play more than other teams.

No.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
@chibob, West Ham fans have always been up there as the most organised hooligans. Chelsea attracts thugs, but doesn't have the same presence week in week out like West Ham.

UK outside of London and Scotland is brimming with racists, hence the recent political swing. The type of person that says "I'm not a racist, but I believe in British jobs for British workers. And why do we let foreigners use our health service. But Im not a racist. But there's a finite amount of space, and we're full up. And I want my country back." You know; the type of person that says we've had enough of experts, because of their fancy figures that point out that the country benefits in every sector from immigration. FUCK THIS COUNTRY, I'M FUCKING GLAD I LIVE IN THE REPUBLIC OF LONDON.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
@hayvis Maybe London can stage a Lexit. Or secede from the UK along with Scotland, and it'll be like West Germany and West Berlin.

Interesting also to me how people who didn't grow up in the European soccer culture, and who didn't grow up watching these teams "pick" a club to root for when they live 10,000 miles away. How do fans in the UK (or non-Americans in general) decide to root for American sports teams? My guess is that it's almost always the big teams with big advertising budgets who get their names out there (Lakers, Cowboys, Yankees, Red Sox) teams that have recent success, or teams that happen to have a fellow countryman on the roster (the Houston Rockets were quite the popular team in China when Yao was there).

As for me, I haven't really 'picked' a team that I consider myself a genuine fan of, but I guess I gravitate toward Barcelona because, not only do they play an exciting style and have a lot of good players and win a lot of matches, but because of the whole dynamic between them and Madrid, where Real, for much of its history, was basically the Spanish State Football Team under Franco. If ever there was any team to root against, it would have to be the subsidized, sponsored show horses of an oppressive dictatorial government.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Basin is a classic barca trog, tombout facism, woof... Real Madrid is ROYAL, not facist. Plus, it is 2016. I think u 3 rd place barca trogs are just jelly.

I've been a life long supporter of Manchester city/Arsenal/Liverpool. Some traditionalist might find fault in rooting for 3 teams... but I find the juxtaposition between their varied club histories is what really makes me interested. The oil money upstarts city, the classic always a bridesmaid tale of arsenal, and the traditional power of Liverpool returning to glory. So many intriguing stories and 3x as much football to watch every week!

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
@hayvis Maybe London can stage a Lexit. Or secede from the UK along with Scotland, and it'll be like West Germany and West Berlin.

Interesting also to me how people who didn't grow up in the European soccer culture, and who didn't grow up watching these teams "pick" a club to root for when they live 10,000 miles away. How do fans in the UK (or non-Americans in general) decide to root for American sports teams? My guess is that it's almost always the big teams with big advertising budgets who get their names out there (Lakers, Cowboys, Yankees, Red Sox) teams that have recent success, or teams that happen to have a fellow countryman on the roster (the Houston Rockets were quite the popular team in China when Yao was there).

As for me, I haven't really 'picked' a team that I consider myself a genuine fan of, but I guess I gravitate toward Barcelona because, not only do they play an exciting style and have a lot of good players and win a lot of matches, but because of the whole dynamic between them and Madrid, where Real, for much of its history, was basically the Spanish State Football Team under Franco. If ever there was any team to root against, it would have to be the subsidized, sponsored show horses of an oppressive dictatorial government.

I decided to support the Jets when I was about eight years old. I have no idea how that fits in with a profile, but I do remember that I was old enough to know that it was one of the closest teams to go and watch live.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Watching Barca to me is always boring as fuck watching them pass it around for 70% of the match. But maybe it is just the matches I've been able to see.

I can't watch Spanish football other than when they're in the Champions League as it's a ridiculous status quo. This makes it more or less impossible for me to like Barca or Real at all.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Barca does NOT play an exciting style. They play a dreadful style. They're just very good at it and they score 5 goals a game because the Spanish 1st division features teams like Celta Vigo. Oh wait, they lost to Celta.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
I decided to support the Jets when I was about eight years old. I have no idea how that fits in with a profile, but I do remember that I was old enough to know that it was one of the closest teams to go and watch live.

Interesting. Was it any one player in particular? Not that conversant with the Jets fan base other than that their history is pretty much Joe Namath and Superb Owl 3 and.....not much else. My late uncle was a big Giants fan, and thought Jets fans were just contrarian anti-traditionalists. I guess I could liken them to Clippers fans.

@Travis7401, I thought you were a LIFELONG Leicester fan? As far as Barca, I never said I was a genuine fan, just that I would lean toward them due to the history of Spanish football. It's kind of like being a Red Sox fan, even though, in recent history, the Sox have way more success (and chance of repeating that recent success) than their evil nemeses the Jankees.

Plus, when my in-laws vacationed in the Med several years back, one of their stops was Barcelona and they bought a bunch of Barca gear, among which was a toddler-sized T-shirt that fit my son. Had they stopped in Rome and gotten Lazio gear, I'd probably be goose-stepping and Heil Hitler-ing along with their fans. :thumbsup:

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Interesting. Was it any one player in particular? Not that conversant with the Jets fan base other than that their history is pretty much Joe Namath and Superb Owl 3 and.....not much else. My late uncle was a big Giants fan, and thought Jets fans were just contrarian anti-traditionalists. I guess I could liken them to Clippers fans.

@Travis7401, I thought you were a LIFELONG Leicester fan? As far as Barca, I never said I was a genuine fan, just that I would lean toward them due to the history of Spanish football. It's kind of like being a Red Sox fan, even though, in recent history, the Sox have way more success (and chance of repeating that recent success) than their evil nemeses the Jankees.

Plus, when my in-laws vacationed in the Med several years back, one of their stops was Barcelona and they bought a bunch of Barca gear, among which was a toddler-sized T-shirt that fit my son. Had they stopped in Rome and gotten Lazio gear, I'd probably be goose-stepping and Heil Hitler-ing along with their fans. :thumbsup:

I don't know about @Travis7401 , but aren't you thinking of Liam, as the Leicester fan on the boards? I definitely picked the Jets because of New York, which was a good move, as I've been able to go easily. I think when it came down to Giants or Jets the Jets uniforms looked cooler. I set myself up for a wonderful time over the last 30+ years, and DEFINITELY picked the right team.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
I don't know about @Travis7401 , but aren't you thinking of Liam, as the Leicester fan on the boards? I definitely picked the Jets because of New York, which was a good move, as I've been able to go easily. I think when it came down to Giants or Jets the Jets uniforms looked cooler. I set myself up for a wonderful time over the last 30+ years, and DEFINITELY picked the right team.

Travis became a LIFELONG Leicester fan last year, IIRC.

How many Jets games have you been to, @hayvis? Pretty cool you're willing to fly an ocean away to cheer for a team. And yeah - Jets do have cooler unis than the Giants, whose togs are about as plain and uninspiring as any.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Travis became a LIFELONG Leicester fan last year, IIRC.

How many Jets games have you been to, @hayvis? Pretty cool you're willing to fly an ocean away to cheer for a team. And yeah - Jets do have cooler unis than the Giants, whose togs are about as plain and uninspiring as any.

I've been twice, and I also watched them at Wembley last year too. I keep meaning to come over again, but plans keep changing. Will definitely be over again in the next couple of years though, and still haven't been to Metlife stadium yet. I absolutely love watching live American football (have been to a few college games too). It benefits massively for it's length, as a love spectacle. I was also very impressed at how the London game manages to get the atmosphere (without the tailgating).

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
@chibob, West Ham fans have always been up there as the most organised hooligans. Chelsea attracts thugs, but doesn't have the same presence week in week out like West Ham.

UK outside of London and Scotland is brimming with racists, hence the recent political swing. The type of person that says "I'm not a racist, but I believe in British jobs for British workers. And why do we let foreigners use our health service. But Im not a racist. But there's a finite amount of space, and we're full up. And I want my country back." You know; the type of person that says we've had enough of experts, because of their fancy figures that point out that the country benefits in every sector from immigration. FUCK THIS COUNTRY, I'M FUCKING GLAD I LIVE IN THE REPUBLIC OF LONDON.

Can we edit this guy: :england: to wave a USSR flag instead, for Comrade Hayvis?