• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2017-18 NBA Thread

NML

Well they were bottom three in attendance all three years and had the lowest average over his span in the league, so I don't think that's valid

evil1

As a caveat to 1, I'll say that you need a good and stable coaching staff that understands and buys into the process. And for two, I think it's less about only drafting good players with ur draft picks but rather getting value for your resources. But otherwise I agree with those three points

Now what did Hinkie do that was against those three things?

Based on his public comments, he emphasized over and over the benefit of multi-year tanking. However, I do not recall him ever spending much talking about what they were doing in terms of player development or long term coaching strategy. Accordingly, it is unclear if he really understands that those aspects are more important than the tanking aspect.

Additionally, I can't help notice that the 76ers are not significantly better off than many other teams who were rebuilding during the same time span. Hinkie took over as Philadelphia's GM in the summer of 2013, where the 76ers were coming off a 34-48 record. Here is a list of teams who were as bad or worse as that at the end of the 2012-2013 or 2013-2014 seasons:

Toronto Raptors
Boston Celtics
Cleveland Cavaliers* (ok, maybe this one shouldn't count)
Milwaukee Bucks
Washington Wizards
Utah Jazz
New Orleans Hornets
Portland Trailbalzers
Minnesota Timberwolves

That's over half of the playoff field.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Well, at least from a marketing perspective, people should be much more excited to see Joel Embiid than Marcin Gortat...

Mame YO

slings rocks
I would look at a team like the blazers and where they’re at vs. the 6ers though too. I mean, yeah, they’re enjoying similar levels of success (or not, since the blazers got swept by a team likely to get whooped in the 2nd) - but Portland is also capped out, has zero flexibility or moveable assets. The 6ers still have somewhere they can take their roster, and teams like Portland cannot say the same thing. So I think it is not quite indicative of the success of The Process to simply look at other teams that were bad and since they’re in the playoffs this year they’re great. The moose has many advantages over most of that list of teams moving forward. I don’t think you can judge The Process fully yet, but it’s kooking like a success to me to me.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Based on his public comments, he emphasized over and over the benefit of multi-year tanking. However, I do not recall him ever spending much talking about what they were doing in terms of player development or long term coaching strategy. Accordingly, it is unclear if he really understands that those aspects are more important than the tanking aspect.

Additionally, I can't help notice that the 76ers are not significantly better off than many other teams who were rebuilding during the same time span. Hinkie took over as Philadelphia's GM in the summer of 2013, where the 76ers were coming off a 34-48 record. Here is a list of teams who were as bad or worse as that at the end of the 2012-2013 or 2013-2014 seasons:

Toronto Raptors
Boston Celtics
Milwaukee Bucks
Washington Wizards
Utah Jazz
New Orleans Hornets
Portland Trailbalzers
Minnesota Timberwolves

Do any of those teams have the type of young, promising core Philly has doe? Alongside the cap space?

The Wizards have fallen in seeding every year. This is the first 1 seed the Raptors have ever had, they choke every year, and Lowry is 32 years old. The Blazers just got swept. Not sure what’s going to happen with Boogie and the Pelicans. Timberwolves are coached by Thibs. Don’t think Jazz are in that category aside Mitchell, but I don’t know much about them. Same thing with Bucks and Giannis. Cavs are the Love-era Timberwolves if LeBron leaves. The only one I see is the Celtics and that’s assuming Kyrie isn’t dead.

NML

And the Sixers have a better outlook than any of those teams besides maybe Boston and the NOLA.

Sounds like ur doing a lot of assuming about Hinkie.

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
well one thing is for sure, assuming all of them stay put, there will be some hard decisions to make when it comes to pay everyone their payday

right now, they have a heap of talent on super cheap deals

that counts for something i guess

sayo

YEET
well one thing is for sure, assuming all of them stay put, there will be some hard decisions to make when it comes to pay everyone their payday

right now, they have a heap of talent on super cheap deals

that counts for something i guess
The fact that they have the luxury of making that decision tho .

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
The fact that they have the luxury of making that decision tho .
well, i can see that

I guess it depends on who you think is ultimately is going to be around to sustain the process

Fultz
Embiid
Dario
Simmons

is the core no?

If Fultz doesnt get that shooting shit fixed, I see him being the first one they part ways with.

I think its obvious Simmons and Embiid are untouchable.

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
The Sixers are where I wish the Timberwolves were but the Timberwolves kind of pissed away their opportunity by paying Wiggins the max, signing Gorgui Dieng to a huge extension, keeping Thibs and his dysfunctional offense, and not being able to attract any semblance of a supporting cast other than washed up Jamal Crawford and Derrick Rose. They’re destined to be roughly what the Wizards were for the past five years or so, competitive but not a serious challenger ever.

evil1

The Dieng extension was a little high, but the Wiggins extension was the expected the going rate. Wiggins is still only 23 years old (KAT is only 22), so they should only get much better going forward. Minnesota should also be able to comfortably re-sign Jimmy Butler after next year. So aside from what you think about Thibs and his coaching system, they will be able to lock up their top 3 for several years going forward.

I would argue that there are four teams from my earlier list who have very talented young players comparable to Philly and still have financial flexibility (or who have used their flexibility to sign all star players to go next to their young players): Boston, NOLA, Utah and Milwaukee. We don't know how these teams will ultimately pan out, but I think Milwaukee is a decent coach away from being a perennial contender.

NML

Hinkie’s best move - and IMO the best part of the process - is not overpaying average players. Basically every team that is stuck in basketball limbo has some ungodly contract that is holding them back

Nuggets are paying Millsap $30m a year, Blazers have Turner at $17m, Wiz have Otto and Mahinmi at like $40m combined. This doesn’t even include the bad teams with awful contracts: Grizz/Parsons, Kings/Hill, Nets/Crabbe and Timofey, Erz/Deng, etc

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Isn't not overpaying for average players the key to building a successful team in a league with a salary cap?

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator

Toronto Raptors
Boston Celtics
Milwaukee Bucks
Washington Wizards
Utah Jazz
New Orleans Hornets
Portland Trailbalzers
Minnesota Timberwolves

This is your weirdest post. Maybe the Celts are in a better position going forward, but only because of Brad. None of those other teams are close. If they stay healthy, Embiid/Simmons will run this league if they stick together. They are both generational talents.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Otto is above average but that ridiculous contract for Mahinmi when he is only on the court for like 10min a game (When he's not hurt) was so bad

evil1

Based on what?
Based on the fact that they have the best under 24 year old player in the NBA who is already an MVP candidate and who they have already signed to an extension and locked up for the next several years. Their top 7 players have an average age of only 25.4. They do not have any cap killing contracts and most questionable contracts that they do have expire after next season.

They have also done as well as they have this season despite the fact that they had the worst coaching situation of any playoff team (Jason Kidd for half the season and the interim coach the other half of the season). Imagine what they could do if they had a halfway decent coach, much less a good coach.

evil1

Hinkie’s best move - and IMO the best part of the process - is not overpaying average players. Basically every team that is stuck in basketball limbo has some ungodly contract that is holding them back

Nuggets are paying Millsap $30m a year, Blazers have Turner at $17m, Wiz have Otto and Mahinmi at like $40m combined. This doesn’t even include the bad teams with awful contracts: Grizz/Parsons, Kings/Hill, Nets/Crabbe and Timofey, Erz/Deng, etc

I generally agree with this except that they did give JJ Reddick 23 million per year (expires at the end of the season). Aside from that, they did a good job of surrounding the young players with quality (but not expensive) veteran players. They will have to re-sign or replace 3 guys from their top 8 man rotation who are also among their best three point shooters. That shouldn't be a big problem, except if there was a way for Philly to mess this up, this is where it would happen.

kingssc

I generally agree with this except that they did give JJ Reddick 23 million per year (expires at the end of the season). Aside from that, they did a good job of surrounding the young players with quality (but not expensive) veteran players. They will have to re-sign or replace 3 guys from their top 8 man rotation who are also among their best three point shooters. That shouldn't be a big problem, except if there was a way for Philly to mess this up, this is where it would happen.
But that was a 1-year deal when they had oodles of space this year so it doesn't even really count.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator

Giving a guy a one year deal and then having him put up a career high in PPG is bad?

Bdub

For the Jazz, they will need to resign Favors this year, but they have Gobert for 3 more years and Mitchell for 5. Jazz have to play Houston and Golden State though so it doesn't really matter that much.
Sixers are in the drivers seat though. They have tons of money they can use to add to the team. Nobody is going to stop them from making the finals in a few years.

evil1

His contract was 1 year, 23 million dollars, so that is directly related to his contract. Now, if it was just a one time deal and they are not going to give him anything like that again, fine. No problem, good one year deal. But, if Philly ends up giving him something even close to that this summer, then that could be a problem.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
His contract was 1 year, 23 million dollars, so that is directly related to his contract. Now, if it was just a one time deal and they are not going to give him anything like that again, fine. No problem, good one year deal. But, if Philly ends up giving him something even close to that this summer, then that could be a problem.

That's what a one year deal is, it ends after a year.

evil1

Jesus, you people can be fucking dense.

Let me put it this way, will Philly re-sign Reddick this summer and if so, how much will they re-sign him for?

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Why are you already characterizing it like some terrible deal? They signed him for one year for $23 million. It worked out well. We can discuss what happens if they resign him. But for some reason you're categorizing it like they made some awful decision already. Even the way you initially described it is weird. You mention per year and expires at the end of the year like it was some five year deal that they're finally getting rid of.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
If they have the space and sign him to the one year max, it's fine. This is due to the law of no bad one year contracts.

The reason we are responding the way we are is because you're using what the 6ers might do this summer with Reddick to dictate the value of this year's contract. That makes as much sense as the list you posted earlier. When in doubt, refer to the law

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
The Moose should let Redick walk at the end of the playoffs and let somebody else overpay him after his career year. Use that $23 million to reup, Ilyasova-Belnelli-FA to replace Redick on one year deals. while giving Embiid a new contract. Even still, they will be under the cap again next season.

Wuf

Desensitized and Willing
Philly could very possibly win the East THIS year so I would just see how it plays out

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I will probably be signing another one-year deal as bandwagon fan of the Suns. It looks like my one year of being a TLosses fan last year has already tanked them into oblivion!

evil1

Why are you already characterizing it like some terrible deal? They signed him for one year for $23 million. It worked out well. We can discuss what happens if they resign him. But for some reason you're categorizing it like they made some awful decision already. Even the way you initially described it is weird. You mention per year and expires at the end of the year like it was some five year deal that they're finally getting rid of.

Reading comprehension must be at an all time low. I didn't say the current Reddick deal was a horrible deal. I said that Philly overpaid him for this past year at 23 million a year (which is true), but I made special note that this was just a one year deal which expires at the end of this year. I went out of my way to say in the following post that as long as it was only a one year deal, then it was perfectly fine. Why are you trying to argue with me on a point that I agree with you on? The only danger I pointed out is that if Philly (more accurately Bryan Colangelo) tries to sign Reddick to multiyear deal at anywhere close to his current deal, then it would be a bad mistake.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Speaking of the Suns, looks like they are trying to get Kidd or VDN to corch? Looks like the bad luck talisman is starting early this year.

hkeiekbqaqt01.png

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Reading comprehension must be at an all time low. I didn't say the current Reddick deal was a horrible deal. I said that Philly overpaid him for this past year at 23 million a year (which is true), but I made special note that this was just a one year deal which expires at the end of this year. I went out of my way to say in the following post that as long as it was only a one year deal, then it was perfectly fine. Why are you trying to argue with me on a point that I agree with you on? The only danger I pointed out is that if Philly (more accurately Bryan Colangelo) tries to sign Reddick to multiyear deal at anywhere close to his current deal, then it would be a bad mistake.

I generally agree with this except that they did give JJ Reddick 23 million per year (expires at the end of the season).

Confused-Leach.gif

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
This man is actually face guarding Rubio at 94 feet. Bruh, lock down Mitchell if you want to do something. This has to be up there on the list of weird NBA guarantees.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Mitchell is basically RUSS but smart. I don't even remember hearing about him at Louisville.