• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2015/16 NBA Season Thread

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
I don't get why people always think Harden would've just walked... He was a RFA and the Thunder could've matched. They were just cheap ass billionaires. Even if they want him to walk they just significantly weakened a great team in a ridiculous west. They had the window.

IMO this the biggest reason he left. He wanted to play somewhere the management/ownership would do anything to win vs cheap ass billionaire crying poor.

I agree not Prestis fault. He got a decent deal compared to others for stars COUGH PELS COUGH.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I don't get why people always think Harden would've just walked... He was a RFA and the Thunder could've matched. They were just cheap ass billionaires. Even if they want him to walk they just significantly weakened a great team in a ridiculous west. They had the window.

IMO this the biggest reason he left. He wanted to play somewhere the management/ownership would do anything to win vs cheap ass billionaire crying poor.

I agree not Prestis fault. He got a decent deal compared to others for stars COUGH PELS COUGH.
Repeater tax. They'd have been in year three of it last year if I'm not mistaken. Someone did a rundown on it and I can't remember the final numbers.

Also after the CBA they said "oh btw,that deal you already signed Durant to? Add 3m per season to it for the remainder"

Definitely decided against the repeater tax and it is what it is, that's not why Durant left though because they were plenty good enough to win last year.

He left because of the offense IMO, and of course GS was a natural fit for that. Especially because he loves Steve Kerr so much. It's just unfortunate for him that they already had 3 all nba players on the squad.

Tailback U

It's all the mental energy that required. I know you are incapable of seeing why every other team is not happy with him, so there isn't a point in trying. It's so obvious that if you don't see it already there's no hope for you
Every other team is not happy with him?

I'm talking about fanboys.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Every other team is not happy with him?

I'm talking about fanboys.
Nobody is happy with him. The other teams, Adam silver, other teams' fans.

Fan boys for every team are stupid, don't waste your time on them. Everyone else is unhappy with him for the very obvious reasons, and him leaving okc is not one of them. It's all about him going to GS.

NML

Repeater tax. They'd have been in year three of it last year if I'm not mistaken. Someone did a rundown on it and I can't remember the final numbers.

Also after the CBA they said "oh btw,that deal you already signed Durant to? Add 3m per season to it for the remainder"

Definitely decided against the repeater tax and it is what it is, that's not why Durant left though because they were plenty good enough to win last year.

He left because of the offense IMO, and of course GS was a natural fit for that. Especially because he loves Steve Kerr so much. It's just unfortunate for him that they already had 3 all nba players on the squad.

So if Harden stays and they win two titles, you think he leaves? Nah b.

I don't agree with why he left either (though neither of us really know) - he wants to win a title and nothing he's seen from OKC suggest that they are in a position to do that. Cheap owners, the other star is also out of contract, and they just traded away Ibaka - not to even get into the Harden fiasco.

The only positives OKC had going for it was what they had accomplished, but there's two issues with that. One, Durant probably thought (fairly) that their success was in large part to him; and two, after trading Ibaka and other cap moves they'd have to make to keep him, they were definitely going to be worse heading into next year if he did stay.

OKC ownership made the decision years ago (with Harden) that no player was bigger than the organizational goal of "team first, we want guys who want to be here, rah rah rah." And all the OKC fans, especially here, were quick to say that's why they moved Harden. Well, you reap what you sow - enjoy NBA purgatory and one more season of RUSS.

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
Fanboys are fanboys, whether you burn a dudes jersey or celebrate him slapping someone in a club. They are always going to have ridiculous reactions.

GSW was fortunate to have the perfect storm to acquire Durant. They have their best 3 players locked down to below market rates and enough room to add a 4th solely due to the NBA not preparing properly on the cap increase side of thing.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
So if Harden stays and they win two titles, you think he leaves? Nah b.

I don't agree with why he left either (though neither of us really know) - he wants to win a title and nothing he's seen from OKC suggest that they are in a position to do that. Cheap owners, the other star is also out of contract, and they just traded away Ibaka - not to even get into the Harden fiasco.

The only positives OKC had going for it was what they had accomplished, but there's two issues with that. One, Durant probably thought (fairly) that their success was in large part to him; and two, after trading Ibaka and other cap moves they'd have to make to keep him, they were definitely going to be worse heading into next year if he did stay.

OKC ownership made the decision years ago (with Harden) that no player was bigger than the organizational goal of "team first, we want guys who want to be here, rah rah rah." And all the OKC fans, especially here, were quick to say that's why they moved Harden. Well, you reap what you sow - enjoy NBA purgatory and one more season of RUSS.
No,but they likely couldn't have done it with the oil collapse.

I don't care that he left, and I really don't care he went to gs. It just confirmed what my pleb fan mind thought about him anyway.

Trading ibaka was a good move for the future with or without durant. They should have been in the finals this year, what are you talking about "had" done? They were in position to contend for 4-5 years assuming westGOAT stayed, but yeah all the ifs definitely made it reasonable for him to look elsewhere.

If it was to win, it was only to win easier. He could have had a good chance at winning in okc so if that was really it then lol even more. I really think it was the buddy buddy loose atmosphere and the offense.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Also I'm dying at your last paragraph, I'm not reel. You're awful opinions trying to bait won't work so I wouldn't waste your time. We can talk about it but you going all scorned ex GF on me when you're not even a fan of them is a little much.

NML

Also I'm dying at your last paragraph, I'm not reel. You're awful opinions trying to bait won't work so I wouldn't waste your time. We can talk about it but you going all scorned ex GF on me when you're not even a fan of them is a little much.

Scorned ex gf? The fuck are you talking about.

That mindset is exactly what OKC - and by extension, their fans - pushed out when they traded Harden. Well, shouldn't it be the same thing now that Durant has left? That kind of mindset leaves you on the outside looking in, when it's a star-driven league.

I'm not cackling or something now that OKC is going to be average, I don't even watch the NBA anymore. But stars don't stay with teams that don't spend money - that's been true forever. So I don't know why OKC fans are surprised he left when the ownership showed them exactly how they are with Harden.

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison

:(

Wuf

Desensitized and Willing
HORNETS TALK!

Roy "The Limbo World Champion of Lay Low" Hibbert looks to be the starting center. Super enthused about that

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Scorned ex gf? The fuck are you talking about.

That mindset is exactly what OKC - and by extension, their fans - pushed out when they traded Harden. Well, shouldn't it be the same thing now that Durant has left? That kind of mindset leaves you on the outside looking in, when it's a star-driven league.

I'm not cackling or something now that OKC is going to be average, I don't even watch the NBA anymore. But stars don't stay with teams that don't spend money - that's been true forever. So I don't know why OKC fans are surprised he left when the ownership showed them exactly how they are with Harden.
That's what you sound like, idk what you read but that's not how it played here at all. Everyone was mad at the owners but no one knew that the Rose rule was really the Durant rule and that they were told to account for that before the Harden deal. Nobody understood just how bad the repeater tax would be either.

Everyone here that Ive talked to knows where they live, durant just did everything to make them believe he was tim Duncan. Even if he was okc isnt even SA so everyone knew there was a good chance he left. And nobody is mad he left either from my anecdotal experience, they just hate he went to who beat okc. I don't mingle with the trog fan base who burns jerseys though, so again if you're speaking on their behalf I don't know anything about it

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
well looks like neither team "won" that trade so...point is moot
Doesn't stop us from riling you up tho. It's fun to act like okc ruined itself forever with Harden, but there are legitimate arguments on the repeater tax side (that not even one of the richest dudes in the world wants to pay) that show even with Harden, ibaka would have had to go quick. I just don't really think it had much to do with it given the Thudner would have opened up likely even with the Warriors and cavs as favorites to win next year.

He hated the offense, loved Steve Kerr, probably was tired of the okc culture and was drawn to GS's easy going side, and probably wanted to be single in the bay.

To be honest the culture thing would probably be a huge deal for me if I was a star, thudner are so stiff and uptight.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Gon be back
I like the story line this sets up tho for real. It includes RUSS staying so it's unlikely but the legend would only grow if he could bring a shampship to the city durant left.

If he leaves I really hope he waits until FA, I don't want him ending up in a Melo situation

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
That's just what I kept reading - that if Durant came back they'd probably move some combination of Morrow, Waiters, and Ilyasova.
They'd move waiters because he's an RFA who plays the same position as oledepot. They had bird rights anyway. Quit being stupid and saying stupid stuff that is stupid.

Reel

Community Liaison
in what i hope to be my last conversation about the sixers/jrue trade

my position has always been that if you have actually watched this franchise (since coming to NOLA), then you know that

1) outside of CP3 and AD, this teams draft history is beyond pathetic. Outside of their latest draft picks, AD is the only draft pick left from the Monty Williams era. With that being said...see below

2) knowing no. 1, there are no prospects on the board where you are picking that you could've gotten to fill the huge void vacated by CP3. The time table for AD started ticking when he was drafted, SO, if you feel that trading away a pick or two in what many considered to be very weak drafts outside of the top 5 picks (and i will have to look to see what those picks turned out to be) for a known, more established player that at the time, was not even 23 iirc, to me, that is the best move to make

the problem here was that people were seeing what Boston and Philly were doing with stockpiling picks and declaring that the only way to properly build a team or basically, if you are going to be bad...BE VERY BAD and get as many picks as you can in the process. At the time Nerlins had just come off a major ACL surgery and was going to miss his rookie year and Jrue was what...1 year removed from his first all star selection? i honestly dont remember. I mean, people were salivating at the idea of an AD/Nerlins combo in the front court, but lets face it, this was not the next coming of Duncan/Robinson, so miss me with that.

I guess anything i say in support of the deal is going to be looked at as being a fanyboy or homer, but i honestly didnt see anything wrong with the detail considering the things i just stated in my opening two points. But nah...lets say they keep the picks, then pick two busts in consecutive years...then where does that get them? More ping pong balls in weaker drafts down the line?

So what has happened since the trade?

well, philly doesnt disclose Jrue had health problems, so the pels look like they got the raw end of the deal and they did, b/c i think they dont make that trade... at least not on draft night. Jrue would miss several games over the next couple of seasons due to that undisclosed injury. AD was AD and became great, but some will argue he regressed in his first year under Gentry. Eye ball test tells me nah b...but statistically, he did b/c he took a lot more 3s instead of the long 2s he seemed to have made a staple of his game.

what else?

oh...Reke, Ryno, Jrue, Gordon, AD, and Pondexter miss significant time due to various and in a couple cases, season ending injuries. But they made the playoffs (barely) and got swept in the first round by the eventual NBA champs that year.

Philly during that time?

2013-14: 19-63
2014-15: 18-64
2015-16: 10-72

"get picks or die trying"

tl;dr both teams havent done much of anything so lets put this convo to rest plz

Reel

Community Liaison
Lol that's way too many words for a bad trade for an average pg

ehhh maybe, but how many legit elite PG are there in the NBA?

how many were on championship teams? I dont think you need an elite PG to do that, but it aint getting done with a 19yr old at the helm either.

but i get it now...and maybe this is my light bulb moment, but you are saying that the pels gave up 2 first rounders for an average PG which is too much. Ok, i can see that, and understand your pov, however, my rebuttal to that is still, if they keep the picks, and history says they will in all likelihood fuck the pick up, why not get a player who you know what they can do based on one that people still have no clue which way they are going to blow in the wind?

i mean, hasnt Anthony Bennett only been in the league 4 years and already headed to team no. 4?

this is why i liked the pels pick buddy at 6. He fits what they are trying to do, has shown improvement every year in college, and was the BPA at that pick imo, and they didnt have to reach to get him :dunno:

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
ehhh maybe, but how many legit elite PG are there in the NBA?

how many were on championship teams? I dont think you need an elite PG to do that, but it aint getting done with a 19yr old at the helm either.

but i get it now...and maybe this is my light bulb moment, but you are saying that the pels gave up 2 first rounders for an average PG which is too much. Ok, i can see that, and understand your pov, however, my rebuttal to that is still, if they keep the picks, and history says they will in all likelihood fuck the pick up, why not get a player who you know what they can do based on one that people still have no clue which way they are going to blow in the wind?

i mean, hasnt Anthony Bennett only been in the league 4 years and already headed to team no. 4?

this is why i liked the pels pick buddy at 6. He fits what they are trying to do, has shown improvement every year in college, and was the BPA at that pick imo, and they didnt have to reach to get him :dunno:
Based on your history comment buddy is gonna be a royal fuck up

The counter point to your argument is the Pg position is as deep as it's ever been in the nba so 2 top end picks should get you better than a league avg pg

Reel

Community Liaison
Should've been a lil quicker young whipper snapper. I'm done talking about this. At least in public. We can take it to the pms of you'd like. I would totally understand if you didn't.

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
Should've been a lil quicker young whipper snapper. I'm done talking about this. At least in public. We can take it to the pms of you'd like. I would totally understand if you didn't.
bring-it.gif

Tailback U

Fanboys are fanboys, whether you burn a dudes jersey or celebrate him slapping someone in a club. They are always going to have ridiculous reactions.

True. I should have said that I get why people don't like Durant going to the Warriors but the malicious hatred for him is weird to me. For any athlete really.

I think I'm just getting old. I can't remember the last athlete I really hated. I think it was Jeremy Stevens on the Seahawks, I did not like that mf'er.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Yeah you're talking about the trogs then. Maybe I'm wrong but I'd say very few here hate him, the ones that do are just more vocal.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
I don't hate Durant, but I still think he basically let his entourage of hangers-on and his agency make this decision for him. Such is life.

RUSS da GAWD ne way

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
His brother, mainly. Don't think he even has a real jerb. "Club promoter" or something. He used to come to my old restaurant for drinks with his posse and was an asshole from what I remember.