• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2014 MLB Thread: No Noodles

Hike

güero
Ruben Amaro is their GM so it's not surprising that he greatly overvalues his greatly overpaid aging vets. I'm not even sure how that guy has kept his job.

R2D2

Hell, the Phillies forced David Montgomery out in hopes of new ownership. Nobody wants that team.

osick87

Community Liaison
Panda also looking like he's going to be playing in Boston. Which means that it is likely Hanley goes to LF and they trade Cespedes for SP.

Sandoval's agent says no deal is in place.

Schauwn

Panda also looking like he's going to be playing in Boston. Which means that it is likely Hanley goes to LF and they trade Cespedes for SP.

Sandoval's agent says no deal is in place.

ESPN's news updates on the half hour or whatever is reporting otherwise. No surprise really if they're wrong though.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Interesting what the Red Sox are doing. I don't think either deal is great but it frees up someone to be traded for a SP which is smart. Just get the FAs for free (they'll lose 2nd/3rd round picks I believe). Then flip Yoenis for a good SP.

These two deals should spur some more deals. I think the Giants are going to trade Sanchez or Susac for a 3B. Look at what Russell Martin just got in FA. There are teams with a desperate need for catchers right now.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Reely disappointed that Ruben didn't go after The Panda. The Phils need a slow base clogger at third base. He could push them to 74 maybe 75 wins.

Hike

güero
Loved this comment from Jeff Passan regarding a potential Cole Hammels trade:

The Phillies, sources said, believe Boston is their best trade partner, though the Phillies, it must be noted, are run with all of the self-awareness of an infant, so the construction of such a deal may be harder to achieve in reality than in the fantasy world in which they match up perfectly.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
061712-ruben-amaro-400-300x225.jpg
Loved this comment from Jeff Passan regarding a potential Cole Hammels trade:

R2D2

There's a rumor floating around that the Dodgers want Hamels, and have offered Matt Kemp and some prospects. Dunno if it's true tho.

doh

This deal is so classic Beane... trade a player at the height of his value for someone who might be as good over the next 2-3 years at the lower end of his value.

doh

Maybe but Donaldson just finished his age 27-28 years and Lawrie is about to hit his 25-26 years. I've seen Beane do this so many times over the years too (i.e. the Mulder for Haren + stuff deal or the Gio Gonzalez deal) that I see what he's doing again.

Plotty

Tath Meacher
This deal is exactly billy beane quality. He isn't done either I don't think.

in other news, HanRam tore tendon in hand signing contract.

Melvin Gordon scored again

osick87

Community Liaison
Maybe but Donaldson just finished his age 27-28 years and Lawrie is about to hit his 25-26 years. I've seen Beane do this so many times over the years too (i.e. the Mulder for Haren + stuff deal or the Gio Gonzalez deal) that I see what he's doing again.

Lawrie also has less team control than Donaldson. Don't get me wrong, Lawrie is a decent player but his biggest strengths when he was in Toronto was being Canadian and his Defence. His bat hasn't really progressed that nicely and his play style leads to injury. The nice thing will be the foul territory is gigantic so he won't run into stands. He'll likely be cheaper his than JD but I think Jason Martinez (MLB Depth Charts) tweeted that the A's will save 2.5-3 mil with this deal (JD's Arb estimate is something like 4.5 mil).

I see this move as more of a replenish the minors type trade. Berrato takes over for Addison Russell as their SS prospect. Nolin and Graveman will compete for the 4th and 5th Starting spots. Which is likely their peak with Nolin maybe being able to hit 3.

I don't mind it for the A's. They get 4 guys who are projected to be major leaguers. None of them are likely to be as good as Donaldson is now but getting 4 back. I'm sure it will work out for them. They always seem to make it work.

Jays got the best player. Middle of the lineup bat and didn't lose any defence at 3rd. The crazy thing is that you could argue that Donaldson is the third best hitter (Bautista, EE) in that lineup. Although this is the Jays and odds are that they will all get injured and I will be sad.

I'd rather give up what Toronto did and pay Donaldson arbitration salaries for 4 years than sign Panda for $95M over 5

Last edited:

doh

Lawrie also has less team control than Donaldson. Don't get me wrong, Lawrie is a decent player but his biggest strengths when he was in Toronto was being Canadian and his Defence. His bat hasn't really progressed that nicely and his play style leads to injury. The nice thing will be the foul territory is gigantic so he won't run into stands. He'll likely be cheaper his than JD but I think Jason Martinez (MLB Depth Charts) tweeted that the A's will save 2.5-3 mil with this deal (JD's Arb estimate is something like 4.5 mil).

I see this move as more of a replenish the minors type trade. Berrato takes over for Addison Russell as their SS prospect. Nolin and Graveman will compete for the 4th and 5th Starting spots. Which is likely their peak with Nolin maybe being able to hit 3.

I don't mind it for the A's. They get 4 guys who are projected to be major leaguers. None of them are likely to be as good as Donaldson is now but getting 4 back. I'm sure it will work out for them. They always seem to make it work.

Jays got the best player. Middle of the lineup bat and didn't lose any defence at 3rd. The crazy thing is that you could argue that Donaldson is the third best hitter (Bautista, EE) in that lineup. Although this is the Jays and odds are that they will all get injured and I will be sad.

I'd rather give up what Toronto did and pay Donaldson arbitration salaries for 4 years than sign Panda for $95M over 5
Lawrie's last semi-healthy year he had a 4.5 WAR in just 120 games. I think Beane is banking that these injuries are more luck based than fragility based. I also think he thinks Donaldson has reached a peak that he cannot match again (or maybe even get close to).

Also Lawrie has had low BABIPs the last two years and Beane is banking on him getting back to around .300 and things sorting themselves out from there.

I don't think he makes the deal unless he gets a 3B back. It's interesting because I think he actually could've gotten more than Lawrie and the other pieces but in terms of getting a 3B back I don't know if anyone else would've given the A's what they wanted there.

osick87

Community Liaison
That WAR is a bit inflated due to the Jays shifting him everywhere so his defensive WAR was ridiculous that season IIRC. Those injuries are likely due to Rogers Centre's turf being awful so I will agree that he will likely be healthier.