• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2014/15 NBA Thread pelican and okc bitches

GuyIncognito

pressure cooker full of skittles
If you're going to play the "logic" game, you don't start by saying that Enes Kanter and James Harden fill the exact same role. Harden's skillset was redundant. Kanter fills a huge gap.

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
OH SHIT...i get a chance to sit back and watch..

popcorn engaged

joe-seattlefan_medium.gif

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
It just makes me laugh when national media guys and non-OKC fans think this kind of stuff is as simple as "oh, Harden put up good numbers so pay him max money even though you've got at least two more players who deserve it way more, if not three." Like this is fantasy basketball or NBA 2K where caps and tax penalties have no real world consequences and team chemistry doesn't matter. The fuck outta here.

GuyIncognito

This whole post is bullshit that OKC fans tell themselves. There's no indication that Harden wanted anything other than what he was owed - why aren't you criticizing Kanter for doing the same thing? He didn't have to sign that offer sheet from the Blazers.

I don't recall ever criticizing Harden for chasing the money. For fuck's sake, didn't OU11 just say he was in *my* school of "get paid son?"

I just refrained from criticizing the Thunder for not going into the tax for a redundant scorer who didn't want to be there in the first place and whose production could be replaced.

It's true that I never liked Harden, and I don't want to cheer for a team with him on it (which, after all, is my only basis for supporting a team), but I never "blamed" him for prioritizing the cash. It's a business.

In that same line of reasoning, Harden wasn't "owed" shit.

Bucks already outlined that his cap number will still be high relative to some of the players around him, but I don't necessarily mind that part since it's subjective anyways. What I do care about is that no one with even a shred of basketball knowledge would say Kanter is a better player than Harden - so those four STILL could've been on the floor together, but better.

Kanter doesn't have to be a better player than Harden. It's not even a coherent comparison. They don't have the same role.

Finally, if you think Durant and RUSS are looking at this move and going "yeah, this is the place to be" - you are fucking crazy. I'm not saying they like or dislike the move, but overpaying Kanter is NOT what is going to keep them together versus going to another team.

I think Durant and RUSS are going to feel better about an OKC with Kanter than an OKC without him, and that's the only thing OKC can really worry about.

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
It just makes me laugh when national media guys and non-OKC fans think this kind of stuff is as simple as "oh, Harden put up good numbers so pay him max money even though you've got at least two more players who deserve it way more, if not three." Like this is fantasy basketball or NBA 2K where caps and tax penalties have no real world consequences and team chemistry doesn't matter. The fuck outta here.

just playing devils advocate, but do you think had Harden had maybe even another great year, that they still couldnt have unloaded his deal to someone else in a trade and probably gotten better pieces back?

NML

Well your posts are just bullshit that non-OKC fans tell themselves. Oh look, I can do it, too.

No one is saying Kanter is a better player than Harden. Kanter provides a different skill set that this team desperately needed. And actually yes, it was known at the time of the trade that Harden was not happy being the sixth man. And honestly he sucked when he did get to start because he was in between KD and RUSS, who are better players and had the ball more.

The difference is that one of us is a bias fan of that team, the other isn't. I don't particularly care one way or another how OKC does, I don't have a dog in the fight.

And no, it wasn't known. Harden said all the right things about wanting to stay and seemed upset to leave. It's just a rumor - just like how Mark Cuban was sobbing in his car trying to find DeAndre Jordan's house.

He also started two games his final season, so that's way too small of a sample size to judge. It'd be better judging how they were on the floor together. I don't have numbers to say one way or another, but he was part of the final unit that made it to the finals.

If you're going to play the "logic" game, you don't start by saying that Enes Kanter and James Harden fill the exact same role. Harden's skillset was redundant. Kanter fills a huge gap.

I didn't say that, the article you posted did. They both were "scoring 6th men."

You could argue just as much that Kanter's role is redundant. RUSS and Durant both need/want the ball in their hand, so the only roles that truly fit are mong big men who can rebound and play good defense and spot up shooters. That's why Ibaka fits so well, because he is both. Kanter is the former, but he does not play good defense and his offensive game has less impact when he doesn't get the ball. DeAndre Jordan and that mold would be a much better fit. Set hard screens and hang around the hoop waiting for an easy dunk/lay up.

GuyIncognito

And as the ESPN piece went into, the window is much smaller now than it was then. These people aren't stupid, they understand that the time to win is right now, and that comes at a premium. Are the Thunder as much of a contender this season with Kanter in Portland or in OKC? Why isn't that the end of it?

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
just playing devils advocate, but do you think had Harden had maybe even another great year, that they still couldnt have unloaded his deal to someone else in a trade and probably gotten better pieces back?

Maybe, maybe not. I do know that they were still contenders after the trade and got unlucky with injuries, but now have their deepest team yet. And yes, they're going over the tax now instead of back then, but now they know the cap is going way up twice in the next 3-4 years.

GuyIncognito

lol, well if it was between Kanter and DeAndre Jordan then yeah they fucked up. I thought it was between Kanter and nobody.

NML

wat

Again, ur just biased because Harden left.

Truthfully - and I wouldn't myself - but plenty of people could make the argument that the best player of the three IS Harden. It's very debatable but what you can't debate is that the three are on the same level roughly. To do otherwise is just being biased and ignoring the stats. I'd definitely put him third myself, but again, debatable.

I don't get ur point about caps and tax penalties - OKC is going to pay the penalty for Kanter! That's the point.

Ur point about team chemistry is laughable - Durant has played zero seconds with Kanter and I'll make the not-so-crazy prediction that his contract looks a lot like Perkins did in two-three years.

NML

lol, well if it was between Kanter and DeAndre Jordan then yeah they fucked up. I thought it was between Kanter and nobody.

I didn't say "they should've signed DJ personally." I'm saying his type fits better.

Kanter really doesn't fit that well with Durant and Russ on the floor - or Ibaka for that matter. You can't have Ibaka and Kanter guarding the rim and if you take Ibaka away you are really hurting his skill set. Obviously pulling Kanter away is a disaster waiting to happen. Kanter's strengths are his rebounding (still worthwhile) and offensive guard, which as I mentioned, will be significantly diminished with the starting unit, just like y'all claim Harden's would be.

GuyIncognito

Whoever said it earlier was right: if the Thunder pay to keep this deep team together, people bitch. If they let Kanter walk, people bitch.

I for one am very happy with this roster, and am happy to have Harden faking his injuries somewhere else, and am excited for this season. Hundreds of free hours of entertainment that is made only more entertaining by the constant refrain from the haters that I'm supposed to be angry about it.

NML

Whoever said it earlier was right: if the Thunder pay to keep this deep team together, people bitch. If they let Kanter walk, people bitch.

I for one am very happy with this roster, and am happy to have Harden faking his injuries somewhere else, and am excited for this season. Hundreds of free hours of entertainment that is made only more entertaining by the constant refrain from the haters that I'm supposed to be angry about it.

OH YOU ARE ANGRY

I definitely wouldn't call myself an OKC "hater" because I don't care enough about the NBA and I'm also not 12. It's just awesome how you guys completely turn around on everything you said previously because the team went that direction too.

Observational humor is all - been watching a lot of Seinfeld this summer break, probably why it's even funnier to me.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
It's just awesome how you guys completely turn around on everything you said previously because the team went that direction too.

My stance on the trade has been the same since it happened. It's just awesome how you assume you know everything, especially why I think what I do.

GuyIncognito

I'd like you to support the position that I've turned around on anything I said earlier. I would have been happy for OKC to pay Harden, or for Harden to play for what he was worth to OKC. I just wasn't pissed off at the Thunder for letting him go because A) I didn't like him, and B) I thought the team was a contender without him, and C) I understand they have a business to run.

This was a completely different context. They need to win right now and they need to be able to make some showing that if Durant/RUSS/Ibaka re-sign they're not going to waste their primes on a shit-ass rebuilding team.

The Thunder had to make this signing. They didn't have to sign Harden. I don't see what's not simple about it.

PSUEagle

Team @GuyIncognito

I wasn't in love with the Harden trade, but the main reason people seem to hate it so much is because Bill Simmons is an absolute tool about mentioning it every single chance he gets.

The return wasn't good, but it was a logical, defensible move IMO. If they had gotten better pieces than just Steven Adams, OKC would have added a lot more balance and depth in return for a player who was probably redundant with Durant and Westbrook already in the fold.

NML

I obviously can't back up my position on either of you because of fluff e gate.

But let's look at your point C, since they other two are debatable (well, really only A is, only OKC fans would think they are more likely to win a title next year than the year after they traded Harden).

Why is okay to not worry about running a business now? What changed all of a sudden that going over the tax and is okay?

My guess, and it's just a guess, is that the owners eventually realized that Durant and Russ would leave if they weren't good and then all the easy money they were making and putting in their pockets would be gone. No one is showing up to watching Ibaka, or Kanter for that matter. So they probably decided "well unless we want to stop making money, we will have to pay the tax - that they refused to with Harden - and match Kanter."

The issue here is two-fold. One, Kanter isn't that good and his inflated numbers will take a hit once Durant is back. And two, that Durant will likely do the same thing regardless of if they made the signing or not. Which connects back to one, to an extent.

But, what they will be able to do, is if/when he leaves they can say "well we tried, can't say we didn't spend the money!" Even though they spent it badly instead of spending it on an actual good player.

NML

Team @GuyIncognito

I wasn't in love with the Harden trade, but the main reason people seem to hate it so much is because Bill Simmons is an absolute tool about mentioning it every single chance he gets.

The return wasn't good, but it was a logical, defensible move IMO. If they had gotten better pieces than just Steven Adams, OKC would have added a lot more balance and depth in return for a player who was probably redundant with Durant and Westbrook already in the fold.

I think the Harden trade was bad because it was bad. They traded one of the top 10 players in the league for a year of Kevin Martin and Steven Adams.

I don't think there needs to be any explanation as to why the Harden trade is bad. Now saying you agree with the Harden trade is another story and would require some defense.

GuyIncognito

I just said what changed: they need to win right now so they can prove to Durant/RUSS/Ibaka that they are committed to something other than tearing the team down.

GuyIncognito

Again, even calling it "the Harden trade" misses the point. In OKC's mind it was either trade him or get nothing after he walks. They thought Adams/Lamb/Martin was better than nothing, and I think that's defensible.

It's all in what frame of reference you choose, and pretending that it was some executive decision on OKC's part that they were better off with those players instead of Harden is being disingenuous.

It's easy to make people look stupid if you just throw all the context out the window. Harden wouldn't play for what they were offering (he may have not even played for what he was asking). So they either had to trade him or let him walk after a year of "what are you doing with Harden?" stories.

NML

I just said what changed: they need to win right now so they can prove to Durant/RUSS/Ibaka that they are committed to something other than tearing the team down.

Right, and my argument is that they could've made that point cheaper and with a better player by just keeping Harden in the first place. Also, they would've been better in the three years in between these events.

It was part of the original argument against the trade - what message are you sending to Durant and RUSS when you trade away a player of Harden's caliber? So they have to make up for that move by doubling down on Kanter.

NML

Again, even calling it "the Harden trade" misses the point. In OKC's mind it was either trade him or get nothing after he walks. They thought Adams/Lamb/Martin was better than nothing, and I think that's defensible.

It's all in what frame of reference you choose, and pretending that it was some executive decision on OKC's part that they were better off with those players instead of Harden is being disingenuous.

It's easy to make people look stupid if you just throw all the context out the window. Harden wouldn't play for what they were offering (he may have not even played for what he was asking). So they either had to trade him or let him walk after a year of "what are you doing with Harden?" stories.

The issue is that OKC's mind should've been "keep Harden above all else."

I'm getting too old for this shit and my babby is about to wake up - plus I don't really care, it's just funny to see you riled up and tripping over urself.

You seem happy with 55 wins and a second round playoff exit, so enjoy it - you are the Clippers!

Reactions: doh

GuyIncognito

lol, i'll never get tired of the idea that Harden's 17 points and minus defense off the bench is the difference between winning titles and losing, especially when he played himself right off the roster in his last few games.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
lol, i'll never get tired of the idea that Harden's 17 points and minus defense off the bench is the difference between winning titles and losing, especially when he played himself right off the roster in his last few games.
I like reading your posts in here. It's the only place where I can tell your emotions take over. In the politics forums you have the patience of Job and will debate MameYo, of all people, for days on end, but in here, you just can't take it. I feel like you are on the verge of calling people cock smokers at any second.

GuyIncognito

It's the one place I allow my troll self to take over. Endlessly needling sports fans is a labor of love for me.

It's not just in here though. The reason Brick is in here taking swipes at me is due to years and years of "Clemson gonna Clemson, OK State gonna OK State, Oregon gonna Oregon" posts in the CFB forum, for instance.

Dr. Shats Basoon

Closed mouths don't get fed
OKC should have let Kanter walk. The wily Blazers laid the same trap on the poor Pacers with Roy 'lay-low Mother fucker' Hibbert.
Sucks to be stuck with that contract after KD leaves

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Well OKC only could sign Kanter since they were at the cap. They didn't have enough space to sign DJ unless they got rid of a ton of salary.

LOL at the Harden arguing. It really comes down to one thing: The OKC billionaire owners cried poor. They saved tens of millions then and will cost themselves significantly more money when KD and RUSS leave because they never won a title.

I posted before it happened but it's hilarious they're matching now but wouldn't match before. Different situations but still insane.

The whole "window" thing is great too. When OKC lost, everyone said "don't worry they'll be back". Sports don't work like that.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
OKC should have let Kanter walk. The wily Blazers laid the same trap on the poor Pacers with Roy 'lay-low Mother fucker' Hibbert.
Sucks to be stuck with that contract after KD leaves
They had literally no other option. This might be their last KD year. Who cares about 2018 if KD and RUSS are gone because you couldn't win in 2016?

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
This is ridiculous :laughing:

Kanter will take up a lower % of the cap through his contract than harden would have.

There, i ended that part. That's all i was saying before this clown show came on the air :laughing:

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Also @NML, it is different now because the caps about to go up $10M a year haha. Where have you been? We're going to be looking at 90M in 3 years if the projections are right (they undershot this year).

Yall need to quit arguing two things. Whether the team was better off with harden is one you wont win with thudner fans. But the money situation changed pretty drastically in the years following, enough that it changed their ideas about what they were willing to do contract wise