• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2014/15 NBA Thread pelican and okc bitches

NML

What a weird pair of tip off night games...

Probably gon watch Magic/Pels instead

sayo

YEET
I'm stoked. Predictions from the offseason thread.

West
1 Clippers
2 Spurs
3 Thunder
4 Warriors
5 Blazers
6 Mavericks
7 Grizzlies
8 Rockets

Clippers over Rockets
Spurs over Grizzlies
Thunder over Mavericks
Warriors over Blazers
All of these series would be great btw.

Thunder over Clippers
Spurs over Warriors

Thunder over Spurs

East
1 Cavs
2 Bulls
3 Raptors
4 Bullets
5 Hawks
6 Hornets
7 Heat
8 Pistons

Cavs over Pistons
Bulls over Heat
Raptors over Hornets
Hawks over Bullets

Cavs over Raptors
Bulls over Hawks

Cavs over Bulls

Finals Cavs over Thunder

MVP Lebron
DPOTY Brow
COTY Thibs?

I'm bad at these, but they are always fun to look back on.

Heisman06

Even though expectations are down, I'm reely looking forward to some Heat basketball. I like this team and I'd be shocked if they finished lower than 5th in the East.

MSUFanatic

Excited to watch the young bucks play like Wiggins, Embiid, Noel, and Parker. Some top talent everywhere. Should be interesting.

NML

I think the starting line-up is the best Pelican 5, not 100% sure that they are working together as good as they can.

Don't think Davis has his legs yet. Coming up short on a few.

evil1

I will go record with my predictions as well:

West
1 Clippers
2 Spurs
3 Warriors
4 Thunder
5 Mavericks
6 Blazers
7 Rockets
8 Pelicans

I don't think the Clippers are the best team but I think San Antonio will coast through the regular season, rest their stars, and settle for the #2 seed. OKC will slip just enough during the regular season until Durant comes back, thus letting the Clippers steal the #1 seed and the Warriors get the #3 seed.

Dallas should improve over last year, plus they have the second best coach in the NBA.
The Blazers didn't make any major moves but I think Lillard continues to improve. However, this team won't advance further in the ranks until they address their bench.
From an overall talent point of view, I think the Rockets took a step backward from last year (lost Asik, Lin and Parson but only added Ariza in return).
The Grizzles are solid but they are getting older, more injury prone, and do not have a bench to allow them to absorb any significant injuries. I think one or more of their top three gets injured allowing the Pelicans (the best of the next tier) to make the playoffs.

Extra special shout out to the Thunder (not in a good way). They had the most frustrating off season of any team (well, minus Miami). They are a championship contender with Durant-Westbrook-Ibaka but yet they made no significant moves to help their odds. Sorry, but Anthony Marrow is not going to make that much of a difference. The sad part is that they didn't need to make any huge moves. A couple of additional mid-level type veterans would have made a significant difference. Hell, a Chris Kaman signing could have helped this team. The only reason why they didn't make any such moves is because they are afraid to enter the luxury tax. But doing so wouldn't hurt the franchise. So they make $15 million profit instead of $29 million. It is frustrating to see them this close to the championship and not have the ownership be willing to add one or two more small pieces.

Here is a scary thought for you OKC fans. What if Westbrook plays his ass off for the next month and a half and OKC still struggles. He is going to take a ton of (unfair) flack. Scott Brooks could get eventually fired. Add to that the unwillingness of the team to spend money and the appearance that OKC may be stuck where they are at. Doesn't that greatly increase the chance of Westbrook saying screw this and leaving in free agency to a team that is begging to have him (Lakerzzzz)? I think it is more important for OKC to have a good start than they realize.

East
1 Bulls
2 Cavs
3 Sorcerers
4 Raptors
5 Hornets
6 Heat
7 Nets
8 Hawks

Defense still matters. I don't know if a team that didn't have a top 10 caliber defense has won either the Eastern or Western Conference Finals in almost a decade. Accordingly, I think Chicago will win the #1 seed and make it through to the NBA Finals. For all of the offensive firepower Cleveland boasts, they look like they will be horrible on defense. They are closer to the bottom third on defense than they are to the top third. Plus, I don't think they have a particularly deep bench and their #2 through 4 players have never even been to the playoffs. That is going to catch up to them. On the flip side, the Bulls have been a scrappy playoff team for the last two years without Derrick Rose or Pau Gasol. Give me the Bulls over the Cavs.

As for the rest of the East, it isn't nearly as bad as it was last year. While they don't have very many really good teams outside of Chicago and Cleveland, most of the mediocre teams and bad teams have gotten better. Except Philadelphia. Oh dear lord they are going to be bad. Thank goodness the lottery doesn't award bonus points for margin of defeat.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Damn, NBA started tonight? I couldn't tear myself away from FINAL FOUR SELECTION COMMITTEE special.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Julius Randle with a broken leg it looks like.

Man that sucks. :( Seeing him play and develop was going to be one of the things I had hoped to be able to look forward to this season.

Yeah, fuck the NBA draft proposal of flattening out the chances of all lottery teams to get the #1 pick. If they simply did "worst record gets first pick," Lakers would definitely be in the running.

Over under on Lakers wins this year might be the number of letters in Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's name.

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison

kobe2.0.gif

soft.0.gif

evil1

So to start things off for the Lakers, Nash is out for the year, Nick Young is out a month and a half, and Randall (if the Lakers are lucky and it's a clean break) out 2-3 months.

The over/under on Lakers wins might be the number of letters in Lew Alcindor's name.

NML

where are the Asik bashers now? DONT BE QUIET

Pels in the finals babby!!!

Asik and Davis were the POTG, for me. When they were on the court, especially together, Magic couldn't get anything going inside. Had to have a dozen or so blocks between the two of them.

Didn't love the Anderson/Salmons/Davis trio doe. Worked tonight against the Magic, don't think it will against teams with better wing men.

More than anything, I was impressed with Monty's rotations. I said it at the start of the game, but I think those 5 are the way to go. Anderson off the bench. They've got nobody behind those six, though...

Reel

Community Liaison
Asik and Davis were the POTG, for me. When they were on the court, especially together, Magic couldn't get anything going inside. Had to have a dozen or so blocks between the two of them.

Didn't love the Anderson/Salmons/Davis trio doe. Worked tonight against the Magic, don't think it will against teams with better wing men.

More than anything, I was impressed with Monty's rotations. I said it at the start of the game, but I think those 5 are the way to go. Anderson off the bench. They've got nobody behind those six, though...

Salmons was supposedly a better option than Babbitt for defensive purposes, but he flat out stunk last night

When Ryno hit those three 3's in a row to close the 2nd qtr, I jizzed ma'self

Davis and Asik compliment each other so well. I know its just one game, but my goodness, they looked to be the only two with any chemistry.

And then you realize you are paying Gordon $15M this year. Ugh

but besides that, Tyreke should even have a great year with the spacing issues resolved. He was getting to the lane with no problem but wasnt finishing. Maybe he is still hurt but im hopeful he will get better.

NML

Evans, especially in his rookie season, was one of the league's best finishers at the rim. I think if the court stays that open for him, he'll get back to that.

I think Salmons actually played decent enough defense last night, but his best days on that half of the court are behind him. Babbitt is god awful at defending too. Neither should be in the rotation of a playoff team, but they just don't have any options behind Evans.

If they are still in the hunt come deadline, they should add some depth.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Anthony Davis doe

thought that guy was gonna be kind of a bust.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Anthony Davis doe

thought that guy was gonna be kind of a bust.

Why, specifically? Most big men who bust do so primarily due to nagging injuries that they never quite 100% heal from, and therefore can't play to their potential.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
It's probably just NBA "star" marketing, honestly. You could probably convince me that teams stopped even using centers.

Reel

Community Liaison
It's probably just NBA "star" marketing, honestly. You could probably convince me that teams stopped even using centers.

i could see how you could come to this conclusion

iirc, he wasnt even the primary option on that Kentucky team. He had a lot of upside which usually gets you picked no .1 overall

but watching him his rookie season, i knew there was something about him. I didnt know it was going to be to this level, but i watched them against the lakers at home last year and he was working Pau

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Chris Johnson is starting? Lawd

Heisman06

Bosh has looked good early. Using fakes to draw contact/free throws and shooting well from long range. Shawne Williams, who had shot well in the pre-season, is off to an 0-6 start. Team as a whole started off rocky, getting good looks but bricking most of them but they're recovering nicely. Good game so far, even if it's ugly at times.

Packfan

Administrator
Administrator
The Bulls will probably get the #1 Seed in the East, because they will continue to play every game like it is Game 7 of the Finals. While the Cavs should be the favorite in the Finals as the Bulls have no answer for James.

MSUFanatic

It's probably because it looked like he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and had real no offensive game at UK besides cutbacks and dunks.

I thought he would be an impact defensively, but I am also surprised at how quickly his offensive game has come around.

Heisman06

Anddddddd D-Wade is already banged up. Limped pretty gingerly to the locker room. Time to drink.

Wade returned, scoring 12 of his 21 points in the 4th, while Bosh finished with 26 points and 15 boards. Norris Cole added a career-high 23 in his first start and James Ennis killed a guy.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
Correction, was not Cole's first career start. His 13th I believe. First career season opener start.

No worse than 1-81 this year. An improvement over the 0-82 I expected...its all gravy now.

Heisman06

Correction, was not Cole's first career start. His 13th I believe. First career season opener start.

No worse than 1-81 this year. An improvement over the 0-82 I expected...its all gravy now.

Yeah, my bad. Too much drinking after the Wade injury.

GR8 2 B FL G8R

The Bulls will probably get the #1 Seed in the East, because they will continue to play every game like it is Game 7 of the Finals. While the Cavs should be the favorite in the Finals as the Bulls have no answer for James.

Will rose make it to December?

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni

First start of the season he means.