• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2014/15 NBA Thread pelican and okc bitches

NML

The only need the Celtics didn't have was a defensive-minded combo guard (Bradley, Smart, Turner to a lesser extent).

Don't get it, but I'm not one to question Ainge's talent evaluation.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
The only need the Celtics didn't have was a defensive-minded combo guard (Bradley, Smart, Turner to a lesser extent).

Don't get it, but I'm not one to question Ainge's talent evaluation.

Kind like having three centers on the roster, eh. :trollface:

Brick

That was close to transgender. I wonder if its trending on the mongtwitter. YOU WONT BELIEVE WHAT THIS BRAVE KID SAID AT THE DRAFT!

Herrb

Bow tie kid was decent. Could've really taken advantage of the moment if he had clowned on those shoes instead of applauding them.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Argentina's basketball stock must have taken a devastating hit...Juan Vaulet not even talked about by ESPN's talking heads.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Talked all that shit, but then Hinkie goes and picks 3 other bigs. I'm definitely okay with the Thudner taking a flier on Dakari. Could be an okay 4th big if needed.

PSUEagle

Talked all that shit, but then Hinkie goes and picks 3 other bigs. I'm definitely okay with the Thudner taking a flier on Dakari. Could be an okay 4th big if needed.

Eh, the second round Euro stashes really don't bother me much TBH: you take a few and hope one hits in a few years. At that point in the draft need should never be a factor.

Okafor was clearly the best player available, but I don't like his long term fit next to Noel or Embiid. Or his general lack of defense. Russell has plenty of question marks, but my gut says LA got a really good player.

Going to be interesting to see what moves the 76ers make in the next couple years. Right now Hinkie's basically following the Ainge/Morey playbook: take best available at all turns and eventually leverage those assets to fill out your team.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Dear Phil Jackson,

Thank you for drafting Kristaps Portzingis and taking the national focus off the 76ers.

With love,

Sam Hinkie

evil1

Everyone seems to agree that Sam Hinkie is an idiot if he tries to keep all three centers. The problem is, who is he going to trade?

NBA prospects are similar to new cars in the sense that they typically start to depreciate in value as soon as they leave the lot. Unless these prospects have monster seasons, their trade value will never be higher than when they are drafted.

If the 76ers trade Okafor this summer, they will get fair value for him. However, they will not get the same return for Embiid or Noel.

Joel Embiid missed his first year and may miss part or all of his second year. Does anyone honestly think Philly is going to get a top 5 pick or similar value in return if they try to trade him now? Similarly, Nerlens Noel is halfway through his contract and becomes an unrestricted free agent in two years. Philly isn't going to get full value for him either.

So either the 76ers trade Okafor or they trade Embiid or Noel for 75 cents on the dollar. Way to buy high and sell low.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Everyone seems to agree that Sam Hinkie is an idiot if he tries to keep all three centers. The problem is, who is he going to trade?

NBA prospects are similar to new cars in the sense that they typically start to depreciate in value as soon as they leave the lot. Unless these prospects have monster seasons, their trade value will never be higher than when they are drafted.

If the 76ers trade Okafor this summer, they will get fair value for him. However, they will not get the same return for Embiid or Noel.

Joel Embiid missed his first year and may miss part or all of his second year. Does anyone honestly think Philly is going to get a top 5 pick or similar value in return if they try to trade him now? Similarly, Nerlens Noel is halfway through his contract and becomes an unrestricted free agent in two years. Philly isn't going to get full value for him either.

So either the 76ers trade Okafor or they trade Embiid or Noel for 75 cents on the dollar. Way to buy high and sell low.

Yeah, well if you want to go back to his draft knowing they'll get Okafor in 3 years they don't take Embiid. Noel at 6 or whatever he was in that draft was a steal no matter what. Hindsight shows some other players drafted after but at the time it was a good move to get him for Jrue. But this is what they have now, and Okafor fell to them. Should they have taken someone less proven with more boom and bust potential? Should they have overdrafted a guy who was more of a quantifiable talent? The point is they had to take Okafor regardless of their plans. Either they keep him or they don't, doesn't matter. That was the right move.

I agree, auctioning off Okafor is the right play here given the reports that Embiid isn't playing for another year but then again Embiid is possibly out for another year. Noel will get fair value, I'm sure some team will pay for an elite defender. They'll be lucky to get 25 cents on the dollar for Embiid unless he can play and proves he's healthy and a force. Nobody wants a hurt center. He's a gamble that likely won't pay off for Hinkie, which would probably make a dumb GM overdraft someone else instead of taking Okafor at 3.

There is no scenario where Hinkie keeps all three centers throughout their build unless they test Noel and Okafor together and they can play, I'm not sure anyone is dumb enough to do that even KAHN. 3 PGs? Maybe if you create some crazy system and they're all good enough to adapt, but center isn't a versatile position. So now it is a matter of weighing two options. Is Embiid going to be healthy, do we trust that? Or do wait, see if Okafor and Noel can coexist somehow and play the Embiid card when it's time. IF Noel and Okafor can somehow play together even for only 20 min a game then you can rotate in a rehabbing Embiid to showcase him long enough to have someone bite.

Lol at buy high sell low, everyone does that. And they didn't buy Okafor or Embiid either, they bought Noel for Jrue Holiday. So that's what he's weighed against and I bet they can get more than $1. Everyone "buys high" by drafting top prospects who don't pan out, and if the 76ers miss on Embiid it is the 4190409215th time that's happened. Errbody still mad they're bucking the trend.

PSUEagle

Let's wait and see what happens with Embiid over the next few weeks: way too premature to say he won't play.

If he's healthy, he's the centerpiece: he was the best prospect in last year's draft and arguably the second best overall since the Oden/Durant year. The sixers won't try to showcase him to move him: they want to keep him, especially since he has more value to them than to other teams right now.

Okafor/Noel are the more likely trade pieces, IMO.

bruin

I didn't care for the Lakers other two picks, but getting Russell is an A++++.
He, Randle, Clarkson, Kobe and LaMarcus or Love will be niiice.

Sure looked liked Okafor wanted to cry being interviewed by Shannon Spake.

I don't want to live in a world when Stanley Johnson is picked ahead of Justise Winslow.

I forgot who it was, but Jalen Rose compared somebody to Klay Thompson and I'm sure the only reason was because he was light skinned. Worst analyst ESPN puts out there.

Packfan

Administrator
Administrator
CIZQjtGWoAAxxKU.jpg

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
In case you are wondering, that is not the official Bobby Portis twitter page.

He said that when he was a HS Jr.

He is actually a really good dude and Bulls fans are going to love him.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I didn't care for the Lakers other two picks, but getting Russell is an A++++.
He, Randle, Clarkson, Kobe and LaMarcus or Love will be niiice.

Sure looked liked Okafor wanted to cry being interviewed by Shannon Spake.

I don't want to live in a world when Stanley Johnson is picked ahead of Justise Winslow.

I forgot who it was, but Jalen Rose compared somebody to Klay Thompson and I'm sure the only reason was because he was light skinned. Worst analyst ESPN puts out there.

Booker

R2D2

I bet Noel is going to get flipped vs. Okafor/Embiid. Just because he has more value right now. If Embiid never gets healthy, oh well. Still got Okafor. I'm not even sure if the 76ers had a good enough offer to trade down. There was the Celtics, but I don't remember seeing anybody else. That Celtics deal was trash anyways. In NBA 2k it might work, but not in the real world. Okafor was BPA, and there wasn't a good enough trade offer to validate trading down. I don't think it was "stupid" or "LOL worthy" that they took Okafor. I think most GMs in that situation would take BPA, and it so happened to be Okafor.

I guess this is beating the dead horse though because everybody has pretty much said the same thing over and over. I just don't think it was a bad move, and can't understand why some of you'll do. If it doesn't work out, who cares? You don't root for the 76ers. :laughing:

NML

Other than the playoffs, and it's close, this is the best time of year in the NBA. July 1st can't get here soon enough.