• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2017-18 NBA Thread

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
Jrue and rondo just post napier up in the post and he's pretty anemic on offense too

evil1

Jrue and Rondo are good enough defensively to keep Lillard and McCollum in check. If Portland can't decisively win the backcourt battle, it doesn't look like they have anyone who can overcome what Anthony Davis gives NO on the other side.

Wolfman21

lol at new orleans. Shouldn't even have AD. Gifted them since the league was trying to sell the team at the same time. Much easier to sell with a #1 pick and face of the franchise. What a joke the league is

Wuf

Desensitized and Willing
there's a big possibility, i may be in attendance tomorrow for the game

ENGAGE!!!

Summer of Reel!

giphy.gif

Reel

Community Liaison
lol at new orleans. Shouldn't even have AD. Gifted them since the league was trying to sell the team at the same time. Much easier to sell with a #1 pick and face of the franchise. What a joke the league is

this is a horrible troll man

but idgaf

aint shit you can say that's gonna change how im feeling and how great the pelicans are playing

Mame YO

slings rocks
As much as the Blazers played like shit and deserve to lose the series - and they will - I CANT FUCKING STAND the National announcers. You can pretty much bet with 99% certainty that whoever is playing the blazers is favored by the broadcast team. They don’t even try and pretend to be impartial.

My favorite was when AD elbowed the fuck out of a blazers player (I forget who, yay whiskey) and the announcers declared that the blazers made an obvious foul (which of course it was called as a foul against the blazers, so whatever).

I’m not even mad. Lillard missing a wide open 3 in the first quarter (a shot he makes a million times a season) sums it up for me. They had plenty of opportunities and they failed to convert on them. Yes, the pel defense did a good job limiting those opportunities, but when they’re there you have to cash ‘em in. And they were there.

I’m starting to wonder if Stotts is the guy, 8 straight playoff losses across 3 seasons now.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
As much as the Blazers played like shit and deserve to lose the series - and they will - I CANT FUCKING STAND the National announcers. You can pretty much bet with 99% certainty that whoever is playing the blazers is favored by the broadcast team. They don’t even try and pretend to be impartial.

My favorite was when AD elbowed the fuck out of a blazers player (I forget who, yay whiskey) and the announcers declared that the blazers made an obvious foul (which of course it was called as a foul against the blazers, so whatever).

Yeah I'm gonna go with

Hlc8dlM.gif

sayo

YEET
8 straight playoff losses? You mean the 6 against possibly the best team of all time and then these two? If you dump Stotts, who would you consider as his replacement?

It's a personnel issue. How do you reckon Portland should handle their rotations to adjust for NO just forcing the action away from the backcourt? If the answer is to move them off ball, that negates their greatest strengths.

sayo

YEET
Playing Turner so many minutes is my biggest gripe with Stotts. It's no coincidence that Harkless took a big chunk of Turner's minutes and began to start after the trade deadline. It just makes toouch sense that they did not want to tank his trade value.

Could have been a decision from up high. Who knows?

Mame YO

slings rocks
The elbow to the face was shown on replay so I’m pretty sure I wasn’t imagining it...

As far as Stotts vs personnel - I’m unhappy right now with both. Portland has consistently overvalued their assets and is obviously saddled with the likes of Turner and Leonard because of it... but also Stotts fails to make the needed adjustments in the face of a strategy he sees EVERY SINGLE YEAR. At times, Stotts receives praise for his Xs and Os... and when the offense is clicking it’s really nice to see. and then they play a team capable of employing the cut the head off the snake strategy and the team flails around like this wasn’t expected?

sayo

YEET
The elbow to the face was shown on replay so I’m pretty sure I wasn’t imagining it...

As far as Stotts vs personnel - I’m unhappy right now with both. Portland has consistently overvalued their assets and is obviously saddled with the likes of Turner and Leonard because of it... but also Stotts fails to make the needed adjustments in the face of a strategy he sees EVERY SINGLE YEAR. At times, Stotts receives praise for his Xs and Os... and when the offense is clicking it’s really nice to see. and then they play a team capable of employing the cut the head off the snake strategy and the team flails around like this wasn’t expected?

I don't think we are watching the same games. They obviously have a plan to combat those high traps. The issue is personnel. Stotts can't make Turner, Harkless, and Aminu shoot better (they are wide the fuck open). And when they start shitting on themselves, it's perfectly understandable to see Dame in particular just say fuck it after a while and start chucking.

Once again, what's the answer to this? Put any other top tier pg in this situation and they struggle. Hell, the Cavs won a title doing this and making Barnes shit on hisself.

Reel

Community Liaison
Mame, just give the pelicans props brah lol

no one will blame you if you do

People outside of NOLA, hell, some people in nola have been calling for Gentry's head since his first season here. I've been on record a few times saying that those first couple of years weren't the roster that Gentry thought he was getting when he took the job. Injuries just decimated them at the most inopportune times. AD was still AD, but even he was hit with all types of niggles.

Then you had the Jrue shit coming from Phila and him having to have other procedures done on that leg, the shit with Eric Gordon and Tyreke...etc...

They trade for Boogie, and got off to a rough start after the trade but they showed flashes. Jrue then missed time this year at the start of the year to take care of his wife and newborn baby.

Things are finally starting to turn around for them and they were clicking, then Boogie goes down for the year, then they trade for Mirotic.

This team has continued to defy odds all season and squeezed out a playoff birth winning 5 straight to close the season, and have started 2-0 in the post season.

tl;dr

Its ok that one team is just outplaying the other team. What Gentry or rather Erman has done to try and minimize the effectiveness of Dame and CJ is nothing short of amazing. Just give them their props brah.

sayo

YEET
Yup. It's a bad matchup and they have a great game plan. Why hate and make excuses?

Can they turn it around, sure it's not over and like reel said previously, you aren't out of any game with the backcourt Portland has. My thing is it's going to take someone else to step up offensively and make them pay for their game plan. Otherwise, they'll get a longer off-season and maybe Olshey will be forced to retool the roster.

Speaking of which, I think I'm done with the backcourt. If they can get value for CJ to bolster the wing depth, I'm all for it.

Reel

Community Liaison
Yup. It's a bad matchup and they have a great game plan. Why hate and make excuses?

Can they turn it around, sure it's not over and like reel said previously, you aren't out of any game with the backcourt Portland has. My thing is it's going to take someone else to step up offensively and make them pay for their game plan. Otherwise, they'll get a longer off-season and maybe Olshey will be forced to retool the roster.

Speaking of which, I think I'm done with the backcourt. If they can get value for CJ to bolster the wing depth, I'm all for it.
Brick said something along the lines of, how can the pelicans be the underdog when they finished with one fewer win than the blazers

tiebreakers is what landed the pels the 6th seed, but these teams were more evenly matched than a lot of people gave them credit for

i would be lying if i thought they would've left portland up 2-0. That home crowd can be an x factor as well. I'm still intrigued at this series b/c its not over until a team has won 4 out of 7. I'm not about to start disrespecting Portland now. They are still a good team.

NML

Anyone making drastic conclusions after two playoffs games is dumbing

Stotts is still a good corch, and Gentry is still bad

bruin

Seriously though, happy for Jrue Holiday. What he went through last year with his wife..can’t imagine.

Reel

Community Liaison

Stotts is still a good corch, and Gentry is still bad
You're doing it again, but it's ok

Only on the internet is Gentry a bad corch

Brick

Gentry has a 47% winning percentage with an almost 1000 game sample as an NBA head coach. He has missed the playoffs in 12 of 15 seasons and advanced past the first round once. Call him whatever you want, but he is certainly not a good coach.

Reel

Community Liaison
Gentry has a 47% winning percentage with an almost 1000 game sample as an NBA head coach. He has missed the playoffs in 12 of 15 seasons and advanced past the first round once. Call him whatever you want, but he is certainly not a good coach.
I'm speaking specifically about this year

And also don't look at everything in a vacuum

But tbh,I don't care to discuss whether people think he is a good coach or not.

Like I said, I'm enjoying this run, however long it lasts.

Y'all can have all the other stuff

NML

I’d say it’s infinitely more likely that some other factor is making them seem well corched versus Gentry suddenly flipping a switch fifteen years into a career

Doc Rivers was, but all measures, a bad coach until Thibs showed up. Obviously adding KG and Ray helped his record, but Thibs was the brains behind the defensive system that carried the C’s during that run.

You can also notice his lack of success since Thibs left (and further when his teams weren’t elite)

Reel

Community Liaison
What I think reel meant was that he has sucked for his entire career... like a vacuum?
Was a typo but my point I was trying to make doesn't even matter at this point

They're in the playoffs when many people wrote them off after cousins went down

Mame YO

slings rocks
To be clear, I’ve been pretty pessimistic about the blazers all year I just haven’t been in the utopia NBA thread posting about it. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a fan, but I’ve had doubts about the roster construction for a while. I always trade CJ (among others) on NBA2k :laughing:

sayo

YEET
To be clear, I’ve been pretty pessimistic about the blazers all year I just haven’t been in the utopia NBA thread posting about it. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a fan, but I’ve had doubts about the roster construction for a while. I always trade CJ (among others) on NBA2k :laughing:
CJ sucks on 2k. Dame is a god.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Not being in the NBA thread is good for one's general sanity.

Wuf

Desensitized and Willing
Agreed, but they look like a team who couldn't beat the Raptors right now. LeBron definitely gone.

sayo

YEET
Why do they keep throwing a camera in these guys faces and getting a reaction to the news of Pop's wife's death? Shit is cringy.