• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

WBL Rule Change Thread

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Have you tried equalizing all media revenues? From a very distant look at it equalizing those would bump up the low budgets without touching the top budgets.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Yeah I'll be interested to see what 30% does, but I like the increase to 25% for sure

I think gate share is just doubling down on what revenue sharing already does, so no need imo
Wel already have a 20% gate share, it's what MLB does. We have revenue sharing instead of luxury tax. MLB has both kind of. They share local revenue but the rules are always changing. The 40% gate is with 20% revenue sharing for the above numbers and the 25% revenue sharing is with 20% gate.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
After 10 seasons of revenue sharing set at 25% our estimated range has moved from 100-184 to 101-172. Actual range 89-198; 91-176. The shift happened pretty quickly and fluctuates obviously like it does now. I'll try 30% another time.

Other options, increase gate share (we would have to change it a lot to make any impact -- 40% for 107-172) and equalize fan loyalty (this made a marginal difference, but its harder to model with AI).

Thoughts?

Don't like gate, but really like the 25% taking down the ceiling. if 30% can get it around 100-160 then that would be perfect I think

Wolfman21

so perennial sub par budgeters complain that budgets are too high so because I've done well enough that my budget is high, I lose some of it because its just too high. Great

Wolfman21

ill also go ahead and admit that I haven't read more than about 8 posts in the past 100 of this entire thread. Just feel like bitching about something today as I haven't had the chance yet

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Teams with high budgets think they are too high too. We shouldn't have $50m in surplus every year.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Teams with high budgets think they are too high too. We shouldn't have $50m in surplus every year.
I don't. I'm willing to pay more penalties though. Difference between artificially lowering budget and having rich teams who spend their budgets pay more in penalties IMO.

Funny... when OU won 5 straight ships, personally I didn't cry about it's unfair, I built a better team.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I don't. I'm willing to pay more penalties though. Difference between artificially lowering budget and having rich teams who spend their budgets pay more in penalties IMO.

Funny... when OU won 5 straight ships, personally I didn't cry about it's unfair, I built a better team.
Revenue sharing is essentially a penalty right? I don't think it's artificially lowering budgets. That would be changing market size or something.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Right but the top half dropped down. Basically what I agreed with two pages about but cba to go back and quote, do that

doh

Revenue sharing is essentially a penalty right? I don't think it's artificially lowering budgets. That would be changing market size or something.
Yeah I'm OK with increasing that too...

Just my thought: if you want to 'punish' big teams revenue sharing doesn't do as much as creating more 'dead' money. This year I stayed extra under budget because last year I ended up with just $4m cash due to losing $15m in revenue sharing. IF you create more dead money (IFA penalties higher/lux tax on salary) then you cripple bigger teams way more. I can adjust to revenue sharing increases without hurting my WBL product that much.

I also think we have such a discrepancy because the game is not engineered to have people actively trying to lose. It assumes everyone is trying to win.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
After 10 seasons of revenue sharing set at 25% our estimated range has moved from 100-184 to 101-172. Actual range 89-198; 91-176. The shift happened pretty quickly and fluctuates obviously like it does now. I'll try 30% another time.

Other options, increase gate share (we would have to change it a lot to make any impact -- 40% for 107-172) and equalize fan loyalty (this made a marginal difference, but its harder to model with AI).

Thoughts?
This thing, do this thing still, like I said to do yesterday

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator

Just my thought: if you want to 'punish' big teams revenue sharing doesn't do as much as creating more 'dead' money. This year I stayed extra under budget because last year I ended up with just $4m cash due to losing $15m in revenue sharing. IF you create more dead money (IFA penalties higher/lux tax on salary) then you cripple bigger teams way more. I can adjust to revenue sharing increases without hurting my WBL product that much.

I also think we have such a discrepancy because the game is not engineered to have people actively trying to lose. It assumes everyone is trying to win.
nobody wants to make it harder to build the team you have. you just dont need as much extra room as you have. i didnt when i was good, and i wont in 4 years when i start my next run

Orlando

Utopia Moderator

We can't change IFA penalties and even if we can, you could just not participate in IFA and avoid that dead money. Revenue sharing isn't an optional penalty. Even Luxury tax is an optional penalty. The way OOTP handles luxury tax is that if you are over a % of average payroll you get taxed and that money gets distributed to teams that don't spend on payroll. So essentially a high budget team could benefit from lux tax money.

doh

We can't change IFA penalties and even if we can, you could just not participate in IFA and avoid that dead money. Revenue sharing isn't an optional penalty. Even Luxury tax is an optional penalty. The way OOTP handles luxury tax is that if you are over a % of average payroll you get taxed and that money gets distributed to teams that don't spend on payroll. So essentially a high budget team could benefit from lux tax money.
Not participating in IFA because of tax = punishment. Plus that's what almost all of the crying has been about: IFA.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Not participating in IFA because of tax = punishment. Plus that's what almost all of the crying has been about: IFA.
Eh kind of. I mean unless we tax every dollar, you can participate in IFA and not go over the cap. I don't think taxing it all helps anyone more than the current setup. Either way, you missed the entire point of my post that revenue sharing is our most effective option.

NML

Oh he mad

There's no reason to be against revenue sharing unless ur like "well I don't want the league to be competitive."

doh

Eh kind of. I mean unless we tax every dollar, you can participate in IFA and not go over the cap. I don't think taxing it all helps anyone more than the current setup. Either way, you missed the entire point of my post that revenue sharing is our most effective option.
No I get it. I just think the game and world we set up has a budget based on revenues and not at all really on owner or market size. The bumps in media revenue is basically nothing compared to what it used to be. It's extremely fair.

The reason we have such a huge gap is not the AI/game fault... it's that lots of teams have actively tried to not win. So why should the good teams be punished for being fiscally responsible and winning? They already are giving up a big slice of revenues to fund smaller teams. A bit more is fine with me but I prefer optional punishments for spending more vs. getting punished for making more money.

With IFA, I think a two-year ban would help things out too if people think spending is out of control/unfair.

doh

There's no reason to be against revenue sharing unless ur like "well I don't want the league to be competitive."
Or if ur like "well I don't think it's the rich teams responsibility to prop up the poor ones"... I mean there already is tons of revenue sharing in the league too.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Owner plays no roll. Market size definitely does. Media revenue is mostly balanced based on our equalized national media revenue.

We have the gap we do because of the parameters we have set. I think that's obviously based on the AI sims. The way the teams are distributed is where you see our different styles come into play and the different between AI sims and our own.

As far as a two year ban for IFA, you keep suggesting things we can't change. All we can change is the cap number and if it's a hard cap or soft.

I also don't think of any of this as punishments. It's adjusting the league based on what we have learned.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
No I get it. I just think the game and world we set up has a budget based on revenues and not at all really on owner or market size. The bumps in media revenue is basically nothing compared to what it used to be. It's extremely fair.

The reason we have such a huge gap is not the AI/game fault... it's that lots of teams have actively tried to not win. So why should the good teams be punished for being fiscally responsible and winning? They already are giving up a big slice of revenues to fund smaller teams. A bit more is fine with me but I prefer optional punishments for spending more vs. getting punished for making more money.

With IFA, I think a two-year ban would help things out too if people think spending is out of control/unfair.
this is true, they changed what the budget was based on a version or two after i created this system.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
@doh, also I think you are right that the way teams play affects our economics, but I think about it differently. Our FA market is normally pretty cold and that's because of the number of teams trying to actively win/lose. If teams wanted to spend to win a few more games and keep their budgets higher the cost of FA would go up and our financial picture would look different. That isn't the case though, so I think it makes sense to adjust the finances to how our league operates not try to force everyone to play like doh does.

NML

Or if ur like "well I don't think it's the rich teams responsibility to prop up the poor ones"... I mean there already is tons of revenue sharing in the league too.

This is a small impact. I'm guessing the smallest budgets will see a $3m-$4m increase.

It's just leveling an uneven playing field slightly.

doh

@doh, also I think you are right that the way teams play affects our economics, but I think about it differently. Our FA market is normally pretty cold and that's because of the number of teams trying to actively win/lose. If teams wanted to spend to win a few more games and keep their budgets higher the cost of FA would go up and our financial picture would look different. That isn't the case though, so I think it makes sense to adjust the finances to how our league operates not try to force everyone to play like doh does.
I just don't see this as an AI/game 'problem'. I see it as a user problem that we shouldn't correct because it's been caused by people tanking actively or signing dumb contracts to handcuff themselves.