• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

College Football Offseason Thread Presented by Joe Mixon's Punch-Out!!

coogrfan

A local plaintiff's attorney reacts to the news that Briles might only be suspended:

tumblr_ll9awhmHQW1qa7ewdo1_500.jpg

Last edited:

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
Sounds like the rumor about the Baylor donors wasn't true (or the reaction to the leaks was negative enough that they went back on their statement) and Briles is gone for good pending a buyout of his contract. Briles could contest the buyout but that would lead to the disclosure of some details about the situation that both he and Baylor probably want to keep hidden. This thing is still far from over, but it looks like Baylor at least found enough sense to not bring him back.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
Man, life sounds really rough for Baylor grads and fans these days. My pary are with them as they go through these tough times of opacity by their university's leadership and dismissal of their footbaw corch. Don't know how they're making it through this. They must be a tough bunch.

4sUrUHE.jpg

coogrfan

Fun Times In Waco today

WACO, Texas (KWTX) An attorney for fired Baylor head football coach Art Briles filed an emergency motion Wednesday in federal court in Waco, claiming that the lawyers who represent the school and Briles jointly in a suit filed by a woman who was raped by a football player are in violation of State Bar rules because they also represent the university in Briles’ termination.
The motion seeks to substitute Cannon and Janet Hansen as Briles’ attorneys and requests a court order requiring Welch and Brown to cease “all use of any information obtained through the representation of (Briles) against him in any termination proceedings, mediations or arbitrations.”

The motion also requests an order that requires Welch and Brown to produce “all statements, text messages, emails, oral or video recordings, interview notes, and any information of any kind obtained in the representation of Art Briles.”
“We want what’s in their files not because they have information that Briles did anything wrong”, Cannon told KWTX Thursday. “Quite the opposite. We think it will be helpful to Briles as he did nothing wrong.”

Because Briles was fired several weeks after the Hernandez suit was filed, the letter included as an exhibit with the motion says “The conclusion is inescapable that the motive of Baylor University and the Board of Regents was to use its Head Football Coach and the Baylor Athletic Department as a camouflage to disguise and distract from its own institutional failure to comply with Title IX and other federal civil rights laws. It is equally clear from the actions of Baylor University and the Board of Regents.”

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
Briles has hired an attorney and is going to sue the university for wrongful termination. This situation just keeps getting messier.

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
so basically he's suing because everyone else allowed it too and nobody else is being fired for it?

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
Because he knows they will cave. He knows what is in the investigation that they don't want made public and it will have to be made public as a result of the suit.

coogrfan

Eh, I wouldn't say "better." It's still a shitty situation.

Yes, it is. It is also one that Baylor brought on themselves, which is why I'm going to enjoy every delicious second of the squirming, finger-pointing and blame-shifting that is about to ensue.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
Pretty gutsy move, IMO. He can't possibly be 100% clean. It could potentially be a staring contest if both sides think the other side looks worse in the whole thing so they'll flinch first. I'm sad that a situation like this is becoming such a circus, but it's definitely interesting to watch unfold.

fsuprime

Bama says dem boys worked so hard in the sun their whole lives while he's been in the ac that he had to drop all the charges lol

Love it

coogrfan

Big 12 Requests Full Baylor Information

The Big 12 Board of Directors is gravely and deeply concerned by media reports about activities involving the athletics program at Baylor University. On May 24, 2016, the Big 12 Board requested a full accounting of the circumstances surrounding the sexual assaults at the University. At this time the Board is only privy to information that has been made available to the public.

Today, Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby sent a letter to Baylor University Interim President David Garland once again requesting all documents associated with the investigations of sexual assaults at Baylor. This request is for written materials as well as any information that has been conveyed orally to University leadership or to its Board of Regents including, but not limited to, the unedited written or verbal information from Pepper Hamilton, omitting only the names of any involved students. Internal documents pertinent to the investigation have also been requested.

Because many of the incidents at Baylor reportedly involve student-athletes, the Conference is appropriately concerned with discovery of the facts. The Big 12 is primarily configured to facilitate fair competition among its members and compliance to the rules of both the Conference and NCAA. To that end, full disclosure is vital to assess the impact on the Big 12.

"All of our member universities consider student safety and security to be paramount among institutional responsibilities," said Bowlsby. "The Big 12 Board of Directors, each member of the Conference and its student-athletes want to convey that our thoughts, concerns and sympathies are with the Baylor survivors and their families."

Baylor responds by politely inviting the Big 12 to go fuck themselves:

“Interim President David Garland received the letter from Commissioner Bowlsby and has contacted the Commissioner to acknowledge receipt of his letter. Baylor is reviewing the Big 12’s request for additional information in light of Baylor’s obligations under federal privacy law and the commitment of confidentiality to the brave survivors who shared their experiences to help the University better understand its shortcomings. President Garland will seek an opportunity to sit down with Commissioner Bowlsby to personally discuss the investigation and the Big 12’s requests.

Dr. Garland would like to reiterate that the Findings of Fact fully reflect the themes, core findings and failings identified in the investigation – while omitting the documentation of individual cases and names supporting these findings. Baylor’s Board of Regents chose to publicly release severely critical Findings of Fact because it believes it is in the best interest of the Baylor community to do so, regardless of the impact on current or potential civil litigation or regulatory action. The University self-reported to its community and the NCAA and will maintain normal communication with the Big 12 Conference during the course of the NCAA investigation.

Baylor remains confident in the actions it has taken to ensure improvement in student safety and to help restore confidence that its priorities and values remain in the proper order. We hope to not only apply what we learn and to approach the highest levels of prevention, response and support for students impacted by these acts, but also to share what we learn with other higher education institutions for the benefit of students everywhere.”

Brick

watching washington and tennessee crash and burn is gonna be fun this season. haha.

last year, washington went 7-6 for the 4th time in 6 years (they also went 8-6 one of those seasons) and right now they are tied for 10th in the preseason stassen poll because they have a tall white highly recruiting sophomore quarterback i suppose. they are also pac-12 north favorites in the majority of publications so far. haha. their best win last year was USC. they lost to every ranked team they played.

Capture.PNG

tennessee is the consensus. CONSENSUS sec east pick right now and they're ranked 7th in the stassen poll. @Southpaw they went 9-4 with a terrible schedule last year. they missed lsu, arkansas, ole miss from the west.

Capture.PNG

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
Not sure what you mean by tank, but I think they will win the East. The only game they won't be favored to win is Alabama. I'm not some idiot homer, but I mean shit. Every other team is breaking in a brand new corch and/or qb or just outright sucks. The Vols are rightly picked to be the favorite. They have no excuses not to be in the SEC championship game.

Brick

they'll have the same record as last year and will get hype again in '17 because the second half of the schedule is pitiful again.

Oct. 29 - at South Carolina
Nov. 5 - Tennessee Tech
Nov. 12 - Kentucky
Nov. 19 - Missouri
Nov. 26 - at Vanderbilt

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
They won't be 9-4 or worse. Maybe 10-4 if they lose a bowl game and in Atlanta, but no fucking way they only win 8 games regular season. If they do, Jones gets fired. Bet.

Brick

considering last season is the only time they've won at least 8 games since 2007, i don't get the expectations. the bigorangecountrys of this world got ur heads fucked.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
Well there is a reason they have been bad @Brick. Mostly due to a lack of talent/depth/experience/poor corching/tough competition.

The games that they lost last year were all close games and it is obvious that they have the talent back. They just signed one of the best DC's in the country and all the other teams in the East are down/have new corches and new qb's. The Vols are returning 20 starters off a 9 win team. I don't call it a fucked head to expect 10 wins or more.

Brick

i'll be back to bump this, no worries. tennessee and washington will be big flops early, will finish no better than #15-25 range.

giphy.gif

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
I will too. So let's bet on it. If you are right, I will buy you some bourbon. If I am right, you buy me some babybacks from compartduroc.com

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
I am saying they win the East and will win more than 8 regular season games. So put it at 8.