• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2016 NFL Draft

Brick

if someone in charge of sports at the onion hasn't written "tall, pro style, big handed community college dropout surges up draft boards" yet, they should be fired. it is fucking uncanny. there are probably 30 people or more out there baggin groceries who could be solid nfl qbs. there's nothing like this in any other sport, i don't think.

Last edited:

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
if someone in charge of sports at the onion hasn't written "tall, pro style, big handed community college dropout surges up draft boards" yet, they should be fired. it is fucking uncanny. there are probably 30 people or more out there baggin groceries who could be solid nfl qbs. there's nothing like this in any other sport, i don't think.

College basketball players with "high upside and long wingspan." Guaranteed one of those players will go in the top 10 (probably to the Sixers).

Brick

College basketball players with "high upside and long wingspan." Guaranteed one of those players will go in the top 10 (probably to the Sixers).
are hasheem thabeet and tyrus thomas @Reel even alive? yeah, but those guys usually are out of the league in 2-3 years tho. the nfl will keep guys like hackenberg around forever even if they fail.

i always laugh when i see fatty and/or "undersized" guys like glen davis, paul millsap or sullinger lasting forever in nba. those kind of players don't even get drafted in the nfl.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
At least Hackenberg showed potential when he had a decent corch. I will at least cut them some slack for that.

Brick

At least Hackenberg showed potential when he had a decent corch. I will at least cut them some slack for that.
The qualification for these types of dudes is "started and threw at least one touchdown ROCKET ARM CLIP" tho.

Brick

His career arc almost mirrors Locker's. Wat is anchoring bias? Hailed as #1 pick before doing anything.

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
are hasheem thabeet and tyrus thomas @Reel even alive? yeah, but those guys usually are out of the league in 2-3 years tho. the nfl will keep guys like hackenberg around forever even if they fail.

i always laugh when i see fatty and/or "undersized" guys like glen davis, paul millsap or sullinger lasting forever in nba. those kind of players don't even get drafted in the nfl.

Tyrus has been doing some Pro-Am stuff

he has been back in BR a lot over the past year or so

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
It's fun to bag on NFL GM's and scouts because they miss on qb's so often, but Quarterback is different from every other position in sports pretty much. I would say it is the hardest position to predict success or failure for, in any sport. Very few guys are can't miss and end up being can't miss. I mean there is no measurable reason why someone like Rick Mirer or Heath Shuler would bust so hard and someone like Tom Brady would be so successful.

The GM's feel the pressure to get a QB and they end up making stupid trades for guys like Jared Goff and Carson Wentz.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Wish I could find the gif of Hackenberg sailing a WR screen pass out of bounds.

Hack-WR-Screen-Miss.gif

Brick

It's fun to bag on NFL GM's and scouts because they miss on qb's so often, but Quarterback is different from every other position in sports pretty much. I would say it is the hardest position to predict success or failure for, in any sport. Very few guys are can't miss and end up being can't miss. I mean there is no measurable reason why someone like Rick Mirer or Heath Shuler would bust so hard and someone like Tom Brady would be so successful.

The GM's feel the pressure to get a QB and they end up making stupid trades for guys like Jared Goff and Carson Wentz.
Yeah, but the point is they continue to use these picks on guys who have merely good or only even average production in college. Players like Russell Wilson are drafted low literally because of their body type and it's laughable.

Brick

Capture.PNG

@Brick osweiler and 74 other trogs were drafted above russell wilson. lol. wilson played in an under center running system at wisconsin and put up nearly perfect, insane numbers. if he was the same size as andrew luck people would have been debating if he should go #1.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
Yeah, but the point is they continue to use these picks on guys who have merely good or only even average production in college. Players like Russell Wilson are drafted low literally because of their body type and it's laughable.
Well that I agree with you 100% on. Height doesn't mean shit if they are playing big time college football and are successful. It's not like the players are shorter in college than in the NFL.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
I would rather have Osweiler over a punter if that's who you're picking over Wilson

GJGE Jags

Brick

oh man, it even gets better. OUTPLAY HIS SIZE. he has every single strength you'd want in a qb summarized below. hahaha.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/russell-wilson?id=2532975

OVERVIEW

Wilson is this year's big-time question mark at quarterback. Unlike those who have held this title in the past, Wilson is a stellar passer who shows arm strength and accuracy when he is able to deliver the ball without a hitch. A transfer from North Carolina St. over the summer, he has outstanding football intelligence as he picked up the Wisconsin offense in a short time and was the opening-day starter. However, at his height teams will have concerns whether or not he can see to make the throws at the next level. He is a mechanical mover who has strong technique and leadership qualities. If Wilson were three inches taller there would be debate at the top of the draft as to where he fits in, but look for teams to take a flier on him in late rounds to see if he can develop and outplay his size.
ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Wilson is an accurate passer. He is a very mechanical quarterback who is consistent in his drop step and thoroughly understands how to move within the pocket and evade when the pocket collapses. He is an athlete and can torque his body to make any sort of throw on the run, and is accurate in this setting. He is a born signal caller who shows command of the offense. He has the arm strength to make the deep throws and the touch to put it on a receiver in stride. He is effective when scrambling and is a classic play extender.
WEAKNESSES

Wilson's height will be his biggest inhibitor at the next level and the largest reason for his late-round value. It remains to be seen if he can throw effectively from the pocket at the next level.

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni

GMs and scouts get paid a lot of money, and spend a ton of time, analyzing players......particularly QBs. So as fun as it is to criticize them, presumably they have a pretty good idea of what they're doing. So it's amusing to hear fans spout off about how player X is so much better than player Y, as if their opinion is gospel.

That being said, to your point, it's still a bit of a crapshoot.

But I do think there's something to looking at QBs who didn't play for championship caliber teams and throw for eleventy billion yards. Look at the SC QBs after Carson Palmer. Until Kessler, they all hard absurd talent around them. When your O-line can dominate the opponents' D-line, and your WR's are wide open on every play, it's easy to look like a stud. I think the guys who played on more average teams stand a better shot in the NFL. Like Goff, for example, is used to being under pressure, used to being hit, used to having to fit a ball into a tight window because his WR's weren't world-beaters, etc., etc.

That doesn't mean he, or Wentz, is a guarantee by any means. But I feel like guys of that mold are better equipped to deal with NFL conditions.

Brick

the funniest thing about wilson, too, is the size of the wisconsin lineman he played with is probably bigger than any fucking front in the NFL. can he throw over them doe?

Reel

Community Liaison
GMs and scouts get paid a lot of money, and spend a ton of time, analyzing players......particularly QBs. So as fun as it is to criticize them, presumably they have a pretty good idea of what they're doing. So it's amusing to hear fans spout off about how player X is so much better than player Y, as if their opinion is gospel.

But I do think there's something to looking at QBs who didn't play for championship caliber teams and throw for eleventy billion yards. Look at the SC QBs after Carson Palmer. Until Kessler, they all hard absurd talent around them. When your O-line can dominate the opponents' D-line, and your WR's are wide open on every play, it's easy to look like a stud. I think the guys who played on more average teams stand a better shot in the NFL. Like Goff, for example, is used to being under pressure, used to being hit, used to having to fit a ball into a tight window because his WR's weren't world-beaters, etc., etc.

That doesn't mean he, or Wentz, is a guarantee by any means. But I feel like guys of that mold are better equipped to deal with NFL conditions.

what was the qb from hawaii that threw for all those yards that the skins drafted?

~we are at the bar~

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
what was the qb from hawaii that threw for all those yards that the skins drafted?

~we are at the bar~

Well if the 'Skins drafted him, you can generally assume he's not very good and/or they overpaid him. My reasoning doesn't apply to all teams. :Winking:

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
The most suprising thing Ive seen today is Russell Wilson was not a 60 percent passer at NC State.

Reel

Community Liaison
thanks Guys

put up cray stats in college, but couldnt stay on an NFL roster

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
I don't know much of that was talent, he had some personal off the field issues that @sayo has mentioned before.

sayo

YEET
I don't know much of that was talent, he had some personal off the field issues that @sayo has mentioned before.
Got in a car wreck and had some pretty serious brain damage. Has some issues with drug addiction shortly after. There was some video about him trying to get back into the arena league circuit only to find out his brain damage was too severe to continue playing football. Not sure what he's up to now. I think he still lives in Hawaii.

dirt

Trolltalitarian
i like how reel remembers WAC qb's w/ big numbers but forgets to mention 'the Boise guy...' *slurps on guiness and jamey*

bruin

the Draft being pushed back two weeks gives time for that much more speculation and BS. Always was Draft weekend same weekend as +Coachella.

Will say 75% Chiefs go DL. Nkemdiche or Spence, you take them. Spence seems crazy which is perfect. People didn't touch Justin Houston and Marcus Peters cause that reason. Good fit.

Last edited:

bruin

also Colt Brennan is that dude..

Had to retire cause of a bad car accident. Had signed for the LA Kiss..

Lightningwar

Administrator

I think it also matters on who drafts these guys. I wonder if one of the reasons why QBs are such a crapshoot is because a lot of them are drafted in the 1st round to the absolute shit of the shit. Then tossed out there to fix the team. How many decent to good college QBs have the Browns burned out of the NFL in just the past 5-6 years? By the time these good college QBs get out of the shitshows they were put into they are emotionally destroyed and probably have the playability of a 40 year old. Even if they are 26ish years old.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
I really do like the guy. He seems super laid back and nice, and hell, he is a home boy from Knoxville. I am just super jelly and don't understand why he was chosen and I was not. :crying:

GR8 2 B FL G8R

the Draft being pushed back two weeks gives time for that much more speculation and BS. Always was Draft weekend same weekend as +Coachella.

Will say 75% Chiefs go DL. Nkemdiche or Spence, you take them. Spence seems crazy which is perfect. People didn't touch Justin Houston and Marcus Peters cause that reason. Good fit.

Maybe Coachella moved

The draft has always been around April 30th afaik