• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Coaches' Hot Seat/ Carousel 2015-16

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
My only worry with a coach like that is getting Fedora'd by building for a couple of quick winning seasons to spring into that big time job, rather than focusing on the long term.

Well, that's what you're going to get at UCF. You're not going to get a great coach that sticks around for the long term. It's a stepping stone job.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Franklin looks like the weasel type to try that.

No kidding. Reminds me of another situation too...

JIMBOFISHER300_1129USPW.JPG

Lightningwar

Administrator
No kidding. Reminds me of another situation too...

JIMBOFISHER300_1129USPW.JPG

Oh you think Fisher created a mutiny to oust a conference of the year coach in 2009? You may want to review the last few years of Bowdens career. It was a nightmare of nepotism, keeping a DC who wanted to quit because of his sons death on staff, and bringing out Tits McGee to collect a paycheck and fuck up recruiting. There were also so many associate head coaches, infighting, and splinters within the team\coaches. 2009 was such a nightmare within the program and Bowden was going to interfere with Jimbo Fishers replacement for Mickey Andrews the board finally told Bowden enough is enough. And the results speak for themselves. Since 2010 9-1 vs in state rivals Miami and UF, 62-11 overall, 3 conference champs, 1 NC, and set a record for draft picks over a 3 year period.

I love Bowden but he severely mismanaged the program after the 2000 season. He built the program and the school allowed him more than enough time to nearly destroy it.

Last edited:

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
You should think about DJ Durkin. He'd be a great fit at a Florida school. I'm just not sure if he'd want to take the UCF job when he could probably wait a year or two and get a power 5 job.
I still dont get the love for him. Watched him for afew years. Big ol Meh.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I still dont get the love for him. Watched him for afew years. Big ol Meh.

He's been a defensive coordinator for a lot of kick ass defenses (and this year he's doing it without Muscamp), and he's supposed to be a great recruiter. In the 5 games he's had at Michigan, I've been extremely impressed. Considering they play in the Big Ten, I think Michigan's defense will probably be the #1 scoring and total defense this year. Only decent offenses they play are Michigan State, Ohio State, and Indiana. The rest are really shitty.

Plotty

Tath Meacher
Can Mike Riley now be on the list? Maybe that will be the jinx breaker.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

North Texas fires Dan McCartney after the worst loss to an FCS school in NCAA history

Man I'd welcome him back to an assistant position with USF... I'm hoping whomever takes the job next season retains Tom Allen the DC though, as the defense is the only thing that doesn't need a complete overhaul

As as for Renegade, I think part of the problem at USF was their old asshat AD only wanted coaches that USF was their fucking dream job or something, and that they would never leave. It was nice that you had that once with Jim Leavitt, but you can't break things off with 1 person and expect your new GF to instantly be into the same shit your ex was.

I think expecting that basically gave them a shit list of people with 'local ties' and has resulted in 2 straight underwhelming hires of small school guys who were in over their heads at a mid level school.

If a guy comes in, does a bang up job, then leaves, well hey, at least he's leaving you better than he found you.

Last edited:

MtneerManiac

Burning Couches
Expect corch holgorsen's seat to really be hot after we get blown out the next two weeks by TCU and Baylor. If we lose to TTU as well then it's going to get really really ugly.

bjc

Butt Naked Wonda
Expect corch holgorsen's seat to really be hot after we get blown out the next two weeks by TCU and Baylor. If we lose to TTU as well then it's going to get really really ugly.
Drop one to ISU or UT and we can take him back as OC.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Yes please.

Though maybe my nostalic side is getting the best of me.

Wuts the nutopian verdict on the guy? Obviously he failed at Michigan, but he's succeeding at Arizona and Arizona's never won dick at anything.

Define "succeeding." The bar at Arizona is a lot lower than at Michigan. Arizona really hasn't beaten anyone with a pulse since he's been there maybe Oregon in 2013 It's just easier to win 45-42 in the Pac-12 than it is in the B1G.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Define "succeeding." The bar at Arizona is a lot lower than at Michigan. Arizona really hasn't beaten anyone with a pulse since he's been there maybe Oregon in 2013 It's just easier to win 45-42 in the Pac-12 than it is in the B1G.

He got Arizona to a "New Year's Day Bowl". That's pretty good in my book.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator

Wat

He's beaten Oregon twice including a 26 point win, demolished Utah last year, beat ASU last year, and beat Okie State in 2012. He's done a great job at Arizona in a league way tougher than the B1G.

Craig7835

Wat

He's beaten Oregon twice including a 26 point win, demolished Utah last year, beat ASU last year, and beat Okie State in 2012. He's done a great job at Arizona in a league way tougher than the B1G.

I don't care too much for DickRod but you got to give him credit with the fact that he's beaten the once & powerful Oregon Ducks twice. If stops hiring his boy to run a sorry tried & true 335 defense then he would be ok

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Their defenses have been 56th, 31st, and 48th according to S&P. That's not bad at all, considering they play in the best offensive league in the country and go fast on offense.

goblue96

Wat

So, he's averaging one and a half good wins a year. :thumbsup:

He's also gotten his dick punched in by Oregon in the Pac-12 Championship. Lost to the Pirate. Gone 0-4 versus UCLA including a 66-10 thumping.

His defenses have allowed 30+ points in 21 games out of 46 games at Arizona and allowed 50+ six times.

Is Rich Rod better than Mike Stoops? Yes. But let's not crown his ass.

Again, the bar isn't as high at Arizona. If Arizona is happy going 8-5 every year with the occasional 10-win year sprinkled in, then Rich Rod is your guy.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
How many good wins a year did Hoke average?

99% of teams would've gotten crushed by that Oregon team, that's a useless point. Arizona and the national champ were the only teams that beat them as far as I remember.

The talent pool is also much lower than Michigan. So yeah, the bar's lower. Because they actually have realistic expectations.

goblue96

How many good wins a year did Hoke average?

99% of teams would've gotten crushed by that Oregon team, that's a useless point. Arizona and the national champ were the only teams that beat them as far as I remember.

The talent pool is also much lower than Michigan. So yeah, the bar's lower. Because they actually have realistic expectations.

Same as RichRod at Michigan which is why they both got fired. :laughing:

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Nah, it was more around 0 for Hoke. RichRod would've gotten it going, the Michigan AD is just dumb and only wants to play trogball.

bjc

Butt Naked Wonda
Wat

Okie state in 2012 was pretty mediocre. 7-5

goblue96

Nah, it was more around 0 for Hoke. RichRod would've gotten it going, the Michigan AD is just dumb and only wants to play trogball.

Michigan's athletic department was internal trainwreck from October 21, 2009 to October 31, 2014.

Okie state in 2012 was pretty mediocre. 7-5

There's one good win debunked. :thumbsup:

I'll say it again, if you want a coach who finishes the year ranked 20 to 35 with the occasional top 10 to 20 ranking, then Rich Rod is your guy. For Arizona that's good enough. For Michigan, it's not and it's why Rich Rod and Hoke were both fired. Top 20s aren't good enough for Michigan. Sorry, they have high standards. :dunno:

MtneerManiac

Burning Couches
I don't care too much for DickRod but you got to give him credit with the fact that he's beaten the once & powerful Oregon Ducks twice. If stops hiring his boy to run a sorry tried & true 335 defense then he would be ok
He beat Marcus Mariotta Oregon twice, yeah.

I don't think the 3-3-5 is a problem for teams like us and Zona that have trouble getting true elite defensive recruits like you find in the SEC. The 3-3-5 has historically been very good to WVU, for instance.

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
He's been a defensive coordinator for a lot of kick ass defenses (and this year he's doing it without Muscamp), and he's supposed to be a great recruiter. In the 5 games he's had at Michigan, I've been extremely impressed. Considering they play in the Big Ten, I think Michigan's defense will probably be the #1 scoring and total defense this year. Only decent offenses they play are Michigan State, Ohio State, and Indiana. The rest are really shitty.
Yeah the schemes the last 2 years were totally muschamp.

I will say the LB play at Florida (his position coach responsibility) is the best I've seen in a number of years.

I haven't watched much Michigan so you can tell me if the LBs have s tendency to overrun the play.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Yeah the schemes the last 2 years were totally muschamp.

I will say the LB play at Florida (his position coach responsibility) is the best I've seen in a number of years.

I haven't watched much Michigan so you can tell me if the LBs have s tendency to overrun the play.

2 of the linebackers are really solid, not necessarily spectacular, but probably All Big Ten level. The other one is just average and does have a tendency to over run the play. But none of that is really new at all. They're basically the same as last year, maybe slightly improved. It's hard to say, though, because the DL has been so kickass that the linebackers aren't having to do much. In the BYU game, they played in a dime basically the entire game, and their starting MLB had 2 assisted tackles.

But this defense is pretty much entirely him. And he probably needs another year without Muschamp to be the type of coordinator that people will want (or for him to get the jobs he'd be interested in).

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Michigan's athletic department was internal trainwreck from October 21, 2009 to October 31, 2014.

There's one good win debunked. :thumbsup:

I'll say it again, if you want a coach who finishes the year ranked 20 to 35 with the occasional top 10 to 20 ranking, then Rich Rod is your guy. For Arizona that's good enough. For Michigan, it's not and it's why Rich Rod and Hoke were both fired. Top 20s aren't good enough for Michigan. Sorry, they have high standards. :dunno:

MtneerManiac

Burning Couches
The reason he went with Rushel Shell instead of Wendell Smallwood, who outgained Shell by 100 yards on the same number of carries, was even stranger than the decision.

“Whichever guy is ready to go, we put them in there,” Holgorsen said. “We can’t play them both right now (in two-back sets). They are too important, and they are getting the ball too many times. Whoever is fresh needs to get in there.”

And how do they decide who plays? If Smallwood is to be believed, the backs themselves, not the coaches, decide.

“It’s up to us. Me and Shell control that mostly — the coaches don’t really get involved in it,” Smallwood said. “If he wants it, he’ll go. If I want it, I’ll go. We kind of leave that to each other, and we’re not selfish at all.

“Shell wanted (the overtime possession) because he gave me the last fourth-quarter series. I mean, it hurts not being out there and not being able to make a play, but I trust Shell and the whole offense.”

Honest, that’s what was said.

And why, on third-and-4 at the 4 needing a touchdown to tie, did Holgorsen give the ball to Shell on a run to the right?

This was how Holgorsen described the sequence:

“They had nine people in the box. That is one more than us. They had one extra guy. I could have threw one-on-one on the outside, but I did that on the previous play, and they have corners that can cover pretty good.

“I decided to try to give the run. It was our game plan to run the ball on third down, and we didn’t really want it to be third-and-6 on the 6-yard line in overtime against a stacked box; that’s typically when we do something with the pass option that we have off of it.

“We did it twice in overtime, and we weren’t successful either time. I had to give the run game another chance. That’s kind of why we were in the position that we were in.”

Now, compare that to what came out of the Oklahoma State locker room, where they, too, decided to run the ball even though they had problems all game, and scored the winning TD on a quarterback run right up the middle.

“We changed our blocking scheme in overtime,” coach Mike Gundy said. “We had enough time to talk about it. We made some adjustments formation-wise. That would be the only answer for how we were able to actually rush the ball some in overtime.”

So where do you go from here? This is a situation that is going to have to be addressed by new athletic director Shane Lyons, for his department is first and foremost his football program and it has to be successful for the department to be successful.

He comes in from Alabama, where losing games not losing seasons are considered a disaster. He has to analyze what he’s seen to date and decide what direction the football program must take from here and if he believes Holgorsen is the man to lead it.

Well, when you put it that way ...

So has there be an instance of any other coach letting his fucking running backs decide between themselves who plays? What the fuck man. Shell is terrible yet he decides he wants to play all of OT? Holgs can suck a fat one.